PDA

View Full Version : Ware Signed

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Filed to ESPN: Pending a physical, former Cowboys DE DeMarcus Ware reached agreement with Broncos on 3-year, $30M contract include $20M gtd.

Pretty solid FA period if I may say so myself.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
More than I thought, but...not a bad short term deal. Basically, 2 years, 20 mil

Zweems56
Looks like 13 mil this year. Would leave a little more space for later years when we'll need it.

VonDoom
Just posted in the FA thread. I don't really like giving him 10 million per, but ... eff it, we're all in.

MileHighCrew
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Ware and Miller are going to be awesome together.

Northman
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM
If your going to spend $10mil might as well spend it on a guy who is an impact player. Now, pray Ware stays healthy and that Miller doesnt mess up off the field again.

GEM
Holy ish!! This team went all ******* in!! DEFENSE!!! Mean and nasty with some solid leadership from Ware. Good with it, buddy!! :D

VonDoom
We don't know the deal structure for Ward and Talib, but we already know we're paying Ware $13 million this year. Crazy. Seems like a lot of money (more than he would have gotten in Dallas) but I suspect that Elway wasn't letting him leave without a deal. I'd be interested to see our cap situation when all details are out there.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I picture Elway sitting there dejected at the post Super Bowl press conference, hoarse voice and all, seething and determined to fix this D. Our defense is NASTY at this point. Miller, Vickerson, Moore, Harris and hopefully Wolfe all back in action. Talib, Ware, Ward added. We are going to eat people alive next year.

weazel
03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
whoot whoot!!!! still have to solidify that secondary but lets hope the draft is good to us.

Dzone
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Wow! Elway pulls off the trifecta...Amazing...losing the super bowl wasnt the end of the world! Elway is on a mission

Lancane
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
He hasn't signed, they've agreed to terms pending a physical. Scary thing is, if they are giving 13 mil this season to Ware, what the hell was Allen demanding?

weazel
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
thats a lot of dough... like I said, hope the draft is good because dont have much left to sign many more.

Northman
03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
When did Joel hack Lancane's account?

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm not into Madden video games, but if I were to pick a year to get it then this would be it. Elway is stacking the deck at this point.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dreesen and/or Tamme gone to free up more

Davii
03-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Woot. This will give a lot of quarterbacks pause. Von on one side, Demarcus on the other, Pot Roast coming up the middle, Wolfe getting involved, a blitz from TJ, etc. This D could get ******* scary.

weazel
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm not into Madden video games, but if I were to pick a year to get it then this would be it. Elway is stacking the deck at this point.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dreesen and/or Tamme gone to free up more

Dreesen for sure, I thought he was already gone.

MasterShake
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Had to look up his stats. Looks like aside from his rookie year and last season dude has double digit sacks each season. He and Von can take turns freeing the other for pressures and QB takedowns, hopefully!

topscribe
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I picture Elway sitting there dejected at the post Super Bowl press conference, hoarse voice and all, seething and determined to fix this D. Our defense is NASTY at this point. Miller, Vickerson, Moore, Harris and hopefully Wolfe all back in action. Talib, Ware, Ward added. We are going to eat people alive next year.
Von WareWolfe!

(Credit to IndyBronco at MHR)

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
He hasn't signed, they've agreed to terms pending a physical. Scary thing is, if they are giving 13 mil this season to Ware, what the hell was Allen demanding?

I don't know, but I suspect this is a lot like the DRC/Talib situation. Allen dragged his feet and Elway just said screw it, and went and signed someone else.

I don't want to fret over our cap situation right now, though we do still have other holes to fill. Elway has been a FA genius since he's been back, but we need a solid draft here too. Right now I just want to sit back and enjoy what we have on this team. Preferably with a beer, but I can't do that at work.

WTE
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
That's great. I am happy for you guys. I hope he still has something left in the tank as he had a horrible season last year.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Von WareWolfe!

(Credit to IndyBronco at MHR)

Yeah, picture Ware, Knighton, Vickerson and Wolfe on the line with Von chomping at the bit behind them. Sick.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
I can't imagine what Allen was asking for. I'm happy they decided to go with Ware instead. Elway has a clear vision on what he wants to do and doesn't **** around. Feel so confident with him in charge.

Lancane
thats a lot of dough... like I said, hope the draft is good because dont have much left to sign many more.

Not sure where the cap stands now. I expect Dreessen to be cut here soon, that is nearly another 3 mil for the season.

Northman
03-12-2014, 01:20 PM
That's great. I am happy for you guys. I hope he still has something left in the tank as he had a horrible season last year.

Im sure he will come in with a renewed vigor. Dallas is rapidly becoming the place where players come to die.

OB

We need a sour grapes smiley :)

Can we start the season early this year - I wanna play some football!!!!!!!!!

CoachChaz
Just heard Denver offered Allen the exact same contract they gave Ware and nothing happened.

topscribe
03-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah, picture Ware, Knighton, Vickerson and Wolfe on the line with Von chomping at the bit behind them. Sick.
And don't forget Danny on the other side.

Denver is so stacked, I could see them shedding some draft choices to move
up now and take Mosley. And I'd be all for it.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:22 PM
And don't forget Danny on the other side.

Denver is so stacked, I could see them shedding some draft choices to move
up now and take Mosley. And I'd be all for it.

I think when you go all in via FA...you need to use the draft to prepare for the future. We probably need to keep the picks we have.

topscribe
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I think when you go all in via FA...you need to use the draft to prepare for the future. We probably need to keep the picks we have.
True. I'm afraid I would never qualify as a GM. :laugh:

03-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Elway should have starred in the tv show "The Closer." Maybe it would still be on.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Yeah, we mostly need depth at this point and the draft is the best way to provide that. I hate the idea of blowing picks to move up.

OB

http://i62.tinypic.com/25qx2j6.jpg

VonDoom
Just heard Denver offered Allen the exact same contract they gave Ware and nothing happened.

Wow, really? Where did you hear that? Just curious, because it seems crazy that he wouldn't jump at that

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:27 PM

None of us would...unless there were openings in Jax, Oakland or Cleveland

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Wow, really? Where did you hear that? Just curious, because it seems crazy that he wouldn't jump at that

Rappaport

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Damn. We are balls deep in for this year.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Rappaport

Yeah, I just saw it on Twitter. Interesting language though:

To be clear on Jared Allen’s offer from the #Broncos, he would’ve taken it. Was fine with the money (3 for $10M). But Broncos made him wait

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I just saw it on Twitter. Interesting language though:

To be clear on Jared Allen’s offer from the #Broncos, he would’ve taken it. Was fine with the money (3 for $10M). But Broncos made him wait

I guess Elway held off a bit when he learned Ware would be available. I guess they like his versatility more

MileHighCrew
03-12-2014, 01:38 PM
I like this even more that they got their first pick if they made Allen wait

PatriotsGuy
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Damn. We are balls deep in for this year.

*Hands you the commemorative Dan Snyder free agency trophy*

Ziggy
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Let the 'Should the Broncos switch to a 3-4 defense' discussions begin.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks, we'll put it right next to our 2013 AFC Championship Trophy.

slim
03-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Shut up

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Ugh. Spare me.

WTE
Thanks, we'll put it right next to our 2013 AFC Championship Trophy.

Also known as the First Loser Trophy.

Denver Native (Carol)
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 30m

RT @Millerlite40: @DeMarcusWare looking forward to working with ya big bro! #sack

NightTerror218
03-12-2014, 01:45 PM
From what I read ware and allen got same offer and allen dragged his feet. Ware was all over it.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Kinda crazy all the splashes in FA.

The chances of getting back to the SB are so slim but could this be our "Neil Smith" signing?

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Thanks. Give me a minute on the shitter to prepare your trophy.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Just a matter of depth and filling a few holes after this. Another corner and a guard have to be priorities with remaining money. I'm not quite as worried about MLB as others are

NightTerror218
03-12-2014, 01:50 PM
I am thinking of the options our defense can do with front seven now. More 3-4 2ns d 4-3 options with personnel and nickel sets as well. Ware and miller will be on field a lot.

Pass heavy with ware Wolfe Williams and Malik plus miller

Run defense with pot roast big Vick ware wolfe and miller.

Me so happy that defense is getting some love.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Eli Manning says "hello".

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 01:51 PM
From what I read ware and allen got same offer and allen dragged his feet. Ware was all over it.

Look above you in this thread. Seemingly the Broncos were the ones who held back the deal with Allen, since apparently they wanted Ware more.

LawDog
03-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Per Ian Rapaport on NFL dot com, Ware -- oops, Allen -- says will walk away from football if he doesn't get the contract he wants. If he displayed that attitude at all with Elway, can't say I am surprised in the least they pulled his offer.

Ziggy
03-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Just a matter of depth and filling a few holes after this. Another corner and a guard have to be priorities with remaining money. I'm not quite as worried about MLB as others are

I'm good going into the season with Talib, Harris, and Kayvon as our starting 3. A starting guard can be had in round 1 or 2 of the draft. MLB is still a gaping hole. Something tells me that Elway won't go into the season with Irving as the starting MLB.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Look above you in this thread. Seemingly the Broncos were the ones who held back the deal with Allen, since apparently they wanted Ware more.

As I understand, it started with Allen hesitating and then Elway hesitating when Ware became available

Northman
03-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Actually, i dont mind your post or philosophy there Top. Its not like there arent future drafts that Denver can build upon. This team is still quite young so trading some picks this year to move up and get another impactful blue chipper to win now (and in the future) isnt a bad idea.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm good going into the season with Talib, Harris, and Kayvon as our starting 3. A starting guard can be had in round 1 or 2 of the draft. MLB is still a gaping hole. Something tells me that Elway won't go into the season with Irving as the starting MLB.

I would be good with that trio at CB...if I had faith in Webster growing and Talib staying on the field all the time. I'd prefer to get a vet to play that 2nd spot with Harris in the slot and Kayvon as the dime until he grows

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Actually, i dont mind your post or philosophy there Top. Its not like there arent future drafts that Denver can build upon. This team is still quite young so trading some picks this year to move up and get another impactful blue chipper to win now (and in the future) isnt a bad idea.

I would agree...if we had any depth on the OL, at WR or in the secondary

Northman
03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Kinda crazy all the splashes in FA.

The chances of getting back to the SB are so slim but could this be our "Neil Smith" signing?

Welcome to the good side part deux.

NightTerror218
03-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Per Ian Rapaport on NFL dot com, Ware says will walk away from football if he doesn't get the contract he wants. If he displayed that attitude at all with Elway, can't say I am surprised in the least they pulled his offer.

That was allen not ware

Northman
03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I would agree...if we had any depth on the OL, at WR or in the secondary

Im not necessarily saying break the bank and im not saying trade EVERYTHING we have for the next two years but i would definitely consider that move if the offer was right.

Ziggy
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
In the end......we traded a 35 year old Champ Bailey and his salary in for a 31 year old Demarcus Ware at the same salary.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Great signing and great free agency -

I really don't see any weakness's as long as we stay healthy. All in for SuperBowl win or bust!

Northman
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
In the end......we traded a 35 year old Champ Bailey and his salary in for a 31 year old Demarcus Ware at the same salary.

Hopefully the 31 year old guy has a bigger impact than the 35 year old guy.

LawDog
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
That was allen not ware

Yep, edited, thanks for the catch...

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Im not necessarily saying break the bank and im not saying trade EVERYTHING we have for the next two years but i would definitely consider that move if the offer was right.

I get it. But historically, teams get raped when they try to move up in the first. If it's from 31 to 25...fine. But into the top 20 is costly

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:07 PM

What was being reported locally was the minute Ware became available, the Broncos shifted gears from Allen to Ware

Northman
03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
What was being reported locally was the minute Ware became available, the Broncos shifted gears from Allen to Ware

Maybe they coveted him a bit more.

I know that Ware has had some health issues but i got to watch a lot of Minny games the last couple of years and at times Allen came off a bit lazy on plays. Still someone i would take but i dont think Denver lost much by taking Ware instead personally.

Poet
03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I guess Elway held off a bit when he learned Ware would be available. I guess they like his versatility more

I have seen Ware beat more double teams than any other defensive end in my lifetime. I've heard it argued that Allen might be better against the run, and that might be true. I'm not sure which one is better for Denver, though. I was hoping that Cincinnati might take a look at Ware to replace Johnson, although I didn't expect him to get paid like he did.

Northman
03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
I have seen Ware beat more double teams than any other defensive end in my lifetime. I've heard it argued that Allen might be better against the run, and that might be true. I'm not sure which one is better for Denver, though. I was hoping that Cincinnati might take a look at Ware to replace Johnson, although I didn't expect him to get paid like he did.

Yea, i saw that Johnson is gone. How do you feel about that?

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe they coveted him a bit more.

I know that Ware has had some health issues but i got to watch a lot of Minny games the last couple of years and at times Allen came off a bit lazy on plays. Still someone i would take but i dont think Denver lost much by taking Ware instead personally.

Allen has become a bit one dimensional. He never stunts anymore and doesn't seem concerned with playing the run. I don't know if it's him or if it's what Minny was asking of him. That being said...I think he still holds the ability to be a 12 sack 40 tackle player. but...so does Ware. I think Ware is a preference based on his flexibility to play in multiple formations

03-12-2014, 02:15 PM

I'm don't watch a lot Vikings games, but of the games I did watch last year, Allen wasn't spectacular at stopping the run.

Traveler
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Now all they need to do is sign Daryl Smith to a short term deal or draft C.J. Mosley. Or both! :defense:

Poet
03-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Yea, i saw that Johnson is gone. How do you feel about that?

It's business. Johnson is a good pass rusher, he's not a great one. His value really was the fact that he could get a good rush on the QB, pat down balls, and was nasty against the run. I won't say that Tampa overpaid him, but I will say that they paid him top flight pass rush money for a good pass rush and other useful skills. Cincinnati has to shore up a lot of money for Burfict and Green. Dalton is going to get a nice contract, too, especially if he makes the playoffs this year - I dread what we might give him if we actually win a playoff game - and QB's make a lot of money. Cincinnati could not afford to keep Atkins, Dunlap and Johnson. Dunlap has similar sack numbers, but more hurries, and is more of a natural pass rusher. Cincinnati wanted to keep Johnson and offered them the same deal, Dunlap took it before Johnson and that was that. We tagged Johnson and he got nicked up and ended the season with a nice year, but lower sack numbers than expected. That was, at least in my opinion the final wedge between the two. If Johnson had another 11 sack season I think we would have paid him his money and cut some other guys. So in the end, it's business. I think it's awesome how great Johnson was for us, and he was so classy when he left. He said something to the effect of "when I got here no one wanted Cincinnati guys in free agency, now look at us. We're both going to be okay, and I loved my time at Cincinnati."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Last night on the NFL network they stated that if Ware signed with the Broncos, it would probably extend his career by playing 11 games on grass. Also, they said that Ware would be a great influence for Von.

Rick
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't think i would trade the picks away personally.

In 2-3 years I believe the way a lot of the "big" contracts we have are structured, we could cut them and have a shit ton of space, but when we cut them we need the good young players to step in...

Those that are thinking we should go to 3-4, I think a hybrid 3-4 where we are still running a lot of 4 man fronts, not full time 3-4 would be ok, but full time 3-4 would to me lesson the abilities of Sly Williams, don't think a 3-4 would be maximizing his talents.

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Last night on the NFL network they stated that if Ware signed with the Broncos, it would probably extend his career by playing 11 games on grass. Also, they said that Ware would be a great influence for Von.

Yep. I'm super excited about this. I was a little iffy on the Talib signing, but Ware levels the playing field. Ware and Von share similar roles in the defense, and Ware is an OUTSTANDING role model and man.

Colorado4Life
03-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Does yours have 18-1 written on it?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-12-2014, 02:55 PM

Someone from the Post reported yesterday their preference was Ware.

Dapper Dan
03-12-2014, 03:02 PM
I pray that this defense stays healthy. If so, there will be no excuses.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 16m

Well, the mayor of Denver sure is excited. RT @MayorHancock: Go Elway! Go!!!! Woo Hoo! Loving these moves!

Dapper Dan
03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I wonder if Bowlen is making Elway use his own money. :lol:

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 03:06 PM

I know it's been said here before, but I don't think that can be overstated. Doom was like Von's big brother and I think that was lacking last year more than any production numbers. Hopefully Ware can bring the pain and be a leader for Von too.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
I wonder if Bowlen is making Elway use his own money. :lol:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m

After Talib, Ware, Ward and Caldwell deals, minus draft class space, #Broncos have a little less than $10M in cap space remaining w top 51.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
DeMarcus Ware has reached an agreement with the Denver Broncos on a three-year, $30 million contract that includes $20 million in guaranteed money, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The deal, which is pending a physical, will pay Ware $13 million this season -- $250,000 more than the star pass rusher was scheduled to make from the Dallas Cowboys, who released him on Tuesday.

Ware's $7 million salary next season also will be guaranteed, according to the source. The deal is contingent upon the 31-year-old Ware passing his physical Wednesday.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10595442/demarcus-ware-denver-broncos-agree-30-million-deal

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m

After Talib, Ware, Ward and Caldwell deals, minus draft class space, #Broncos have a little less than $10M in cap space remaining w top 51.

So, we're basically done with FA, minus one or two small deals. We'll need most of that for our draft class.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
So, we're basically done with FA, minus one or two small deals. We'll need most of that for our draft class.

I think we can still get a receiver and some depth for 7-10 mil.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I think we can still get a receiver and some depth for 7-10 mil.

I think 10 is all we have left. Don't we need at least 7 for that? I was assuming we might have room for a few $1million dollar deals for depth.

Ziggy
03-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Sign Daryl Smith and this defense is completely transformed.

MileHighCrew
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM

rather this and draft a WR

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 03:32 PM

At this point, it might be simpler to name the defensive free agents the Broncos are not trying to sign.

Denver, which has already acquired big-name help for its secondary in the form of Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward, and which is hosting pass rusher DeMarcus Ware today, is also hoping to add some help at middle linebacker.

Jon Beason and Daryl Smith are the two names the Broncos are considering in the middle, according to the Denver Post.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/linebackers-jon-beason-daryl-smith-on-broncos-radar/

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Ware press conference...

"Im so excited, I'm shaking right now"

"Chose Denver because God put me here and it's a perfect fit"

"Elbow was still hurting going into last season, but feels perfect now"

03-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Ware press conference...

"Im so excited, I'm shaking right now"

"Chose Denver because God put me here and it's a perfect fit"

"Elbow was still hurting going into last season, but feels perfect now"

I didn't realize he had 4 of his 6 sacks in the first 2 games. If he's healthy, . . . man . . .

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I didn't realize he had 4 of his 6 sacks in the first 2 games. If he's healthy, . . . man . . .

Worked out where all 6 sacks came in the only 4 games he was healthy

Jsteve01
03-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I don't think i would trade the picks away personally.

In 2-3 years I believe the way a lot of the "big" contracts we have are structured, we could cut them and have a shit ton of space, but when we cut them we need the good young players to step in...

Those that are thinking we should go to 3-4, I think a hybrid 3-4 where we are still running a lot of 4 man fronts, not full time 3-4 would be ok, but full time 3-4 would to me lesson the abilities of Sly Williams, don't think a 3-4 would be maximizing his talents. and we don't have the ILB corps to be a full time 3-4. Knighton and Vick could. Be very effective at the nose and if we ran a Phillips style penetrating 3-4 Williams unrein Wolfe and Jackson would be a stout rotation at the 5.

BigDaddyBronco
03-12-2014, 04:18 PM
If Talib and Ware can stay healthy and we get a good draft pick or two, watch out, our defense will be back.

But......

These guys have been banged up (Talib was ok most of last year).

Add to that the injuries that Von, Wolfe, Big Vick, and Chris Harris are returning from and it looks like it might be late in the year before it is at full strength. I also wonder if the Ware signing (if he is healthy and is dominant) would close the door on Von getting a new deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Ware and Talib press conferences

http://www.nfl.com/videos

Dzone
03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Great interview on radio with Demarcus Ware. Great attitude. Articulate. Smart. Great character guy. As Vons "big brother", this could be epic.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm still crossing my fingers for that MLB. Smith? I would LOVE Smith.... luuuuuuuuve him

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

cc: @MrKnighton2u MT @JoanNiesen: Asked what he'll do to try to get No. 94, DeMarcus Ware joked he'll bring Knighton 2 pot roasts to OTAs.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
The Ware-Von-Wolfe!!!

SPLASH #3 !!

NightTerror218
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
If Talib and Ware can stay healthy and we get a good draft pick or two, watch out, our defense will be back.

But......

These guys have been banged up (Talib was ok most of last year).

Add to that the injuries that Von, Wolfe, Big Vick, and Chris Harris are returning from and it looks like it might be late in the year before it is at full strength. I also wonder if the Ware signing (if he is healthy and is dominant) would close the door on Von getting a new deal.

Close the door on Von getting a deal? That is dumb. You have a runner up for dpoy and a guy who will be almost 34 on a couple year deal. That traditional g the future for now which elway said he would not do.

Dzone
03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
The Ware-Von-Wolfe!!!

SPLASH #3 !!
Yes! Von-Ware-Wolfe!

Dzone
03-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Cool that Ware and Talib flew in on the same flight. Talib talked about it in interview
I thought elway sent his private jet to pick up ware. Maybe he picked them both up.

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't know, but I suspect this is a lot like the DRC/Talib situation. Allen dragged his feet and Elway just said screw it, and went and signed someone else.

I don't want to fret over our cap situation right now, though we do still have other holes to fill. Elway has been a FA genius since he's been back, but we need a solid draft here too. Right now I just want to sit back and enjoy what we have on this team. Preferably with a beer, but I can't do that at work.

So Talib was signed to replace DRC? I thought we were still talking to his agent and Talib came in to replace Champ Bailey.

He got hurt last year and missed a few games. When that happens season stats look bad.

None of us would...unless there were openings in Jax, Oakland or Cleveland

Are you saying the Jaguars have a bad GM? He is much better than the guy he replaced.

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Cool that Ware and Talib flew in on the same flight. Talib talked about it in interview.
I thought Elway sent his private jet to pick up Ware. Maybe he picked them both up.

Interesting. I had no idea any team would do that for players who were in different parts of the country. Maybe there was a flight from Boston to Denver that stopped in Dallas.

BroncoWave
03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
So Talib was signed to replace DRC? I thought we were still talking to his agent and Talib came in to replace Champ Bailey.

Denver is no longer in the market for DRC, been reported by several sources.

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 05:40 PM

cc: @MrKnighton2u MT @JoanNiesen: Asked what he'll do to try to get No. 94, DeMarcus Ware joked he'll bring Knighton 2 pot roasts to OTAs.

LOL That won't work. Terrance Knighton actually hates pot roast and wanted to shed the nickname when he moved to Denver. He wore #96 in Jacksonville so I always wondered why the Broncos gave him #94.

slim
03-12-2014, 05:40 PM
They have to bring in another vet CB to fill out the roster. Anyone worth picking up still available?

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Denver is no longer in the market for DRC, been reported by several sources.

Because of money? Link, please.

BroncoWave
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM

I don't have a link, but all the beat reporters from denver (Vic, Lindsay, etc) were reporting it last night. Too expensive to sign them both.

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
They have to bring in another vet CB to fill out the roster. Anyone worth picking up still available?

They can draft a cornerback.

MileHighCrew
03-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Broncos end talks with CB Rodgers-Cromartie
The Broncos have ended negotiations with free agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie after signing Aqib Talib.
They gave Talib a six-year, $57 million deal with an NFL cornerback record $25.5 million guaranteed, surpassing Brandon Carr's $25 million guarantee. Rodgers-Cromartie could shop his wares to the Patriots or Jets, who are both now corner needy. Despite a standout 2013 campaign, "DRC" has otherwise generated no free agent buzz since pondering retirement during Super Bowl week.
Source: Lindsay Jones on Twitter Mar 11 - 11:50 PM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice

GEM
03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
https://vine.co/v/Mbh3AOKt0ZO

Ware's message for Broncos Fans. :D

MileHighCrew
03-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Denver Broncos defensive end DeMarcus Ware: 'I'll do everything to win a Super Bowl'

Headline on NFL.com
:salute:

Touchdown Denver
03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Can you imagine DRC replacing Talib at New England? We usually don't hear about players replacing each other in free agency, but that is a realistic possibility.

TXBRONC
03-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Denver already runs a lot of 3-4 and variation of it.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 06:37 PM

A few

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM

I first saw Klis report it on Twitter:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 20h

Broncos' offer to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has been pulled. He's gone. Aqib Talib much stronger.

... but doesn't it just make logical sense? We weren't paying both CBs 9-10 million each.

Dzone
03-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Interesting. I had no idea any team would do that for players who were in different parts of the country. Maybe there was a flight from Boston to Denver that stopped in Dallas.
Talib said he was sitting in 1st class and looked over and saw Demarcus Ware

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 07:27 PM

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 20h

Broncos' offer to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has been pulled. He's gone. Aqib Talib much stronger.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Love the Ware signing. He's a better player than Phillips both against the run and obviously pass rushing. The back is a concern. But I think Denver has enough talent on the defensive line/outside linebacker front that if they only need him on passing downs its possible, although for $10 mil that's not what you're paying him to do.

Saw Elway address the injury and age issue, and he basically (paraphrasing) said Ware isn't done.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey remember that one time when the Broncos signed Peyton Manning and his salary ruined any chance they of building a team with ProBowl free agents?

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Hey remember that one time when the Broncos signed Peyton Manning and his salary ruined any chance they of building a team with ProBowl free agents?

Remember when the offense was the problem?

Simple Jaded
03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Remember when the offense was the problem?

I wish they could sign a ProBowl OL, when was the last time they've done that?

Runamok
03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Love the Ware signing. He's a better player than Phillips both against the run and obviously pass rushing. The back is a concern. But I think Denver has enough talent on the defensive line/outside linebacker front that if they only need him on passing downs its possible, although for $10 mil that's not what you're paying him to do.

Saw Elway address the injury and age issue, and he basically (paraphrasing) said Ware isn't done.

I'm with you on this one. I think Ware could be huge.

Buff
03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Terrance Knighton ‏@MrKnighton2u:

"Lol to those who've been asking and want to know......... I will be handing over the 94.... More details to come......"

dogfish
03-12-2014, 09:47 PM
lot of money. . . i'm just crossing my fingers that we're going to get some semblance of the player he used to be, not the broken-down shell he was last year. . .

end of the day, you can't say elway doesn't make bold moves. . . we're in it to win it, for sure. . .

topscribe
03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm with you on this one. I think Ware could be huge.
How do you know? Have you seen him everywhere?

Uh . . . I mean, on the field, of course . . .

Jsteve01
03-12-2014, 11:38 PM
shame on you top...seriously...making insinuating remarks about ware's pecs is over the line

jhildebrand
03-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Von
Ware
Wolfe

New D is Von WareWolfe

:intimidating: Take that Shower Curtain and Fearsome Foursome

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 12:31 AM
I wish they could sign a ProBowl OL, when was the last time they've done that?

think they did that last year in Vasquez.

bcbronc
03-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Great signing if he's still got it. He's only a couple of seasons removed from being considered arguably the best defensive player in football.

With that said, I'm not quite ready to declare this defence revamped. Talib for DRC is, imo, pretty much a lateral move. Somewhat different attributes, but about the same level (DRC maybe even a bit better, when you consider Talib's reputation as a head case).

I definitely agree Ware is better than Phillips, at least if healthy, but Phillips did have a pretty good season for us last year. So it's probably an upgrade, but it's not like we're going from scrub to stud. We're, hopefully, going from pretty good to stud, so still an improvement but not necessarily a revamp.

Safety, on the other hand, we went from barely NFL quality (Nacho started great, but really went downhill as the season wore on) to All-Pro. That's a difference we'll notice, no doubt about it.

Still lots of question marks though. How will Harris's recovery go? Same with Vickerson, Moore and Wolfe. And who's going to play MLB? We add a MLB and a mid level veteran CB, then I'll really start to get excited. Ware's a nice signing, we'll see with Talib, but imo Ward so far is really the only hole that's been filled. A huge hole from my perspective no doubt, but there's still holes and question marks to be addressed.

Jsteve01
03-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Great signing if he's still got it. He's only a couple of seasons removed from being considered arguably the best defensive player in football.

With that said, I'm not quite ready to declare this defence revamped. Talib for DRC is, imo, pretty much a lateral move. Somewhat different attributes, but about the same level (DRC maybe even a bit better, when you consider Talib's reputation as a head case).

I definitely agree Ware is better than Phillips, at least if healthy, but Phillips did have a pretty good season for us last year. So it's probably an upgrade, but it's not like we're going from scrub to stud. We're, hopefully, going from pretty good to stud, so still an improvement but not necessarily a revamp.

Safety, on the other hand, we went from barely NFL quality (Nacho started great, but really went downhill as the season wore on) to All-Pro. That's a difference we'll notice, no doubt about it.

Still lots of question marks though. How will Harris's recovery go? Same with Vickerson, Moore and Wolfe. And who's going to play MLB? We add a MLB and a mid level veteran CB, then I'll really start to get excited. Ware's a nice signing, we'll see with Talib, but imo Ward so far is really the only hole that's been filled. A huge hole from my perspective no doubt, but there's still holes and question marks to be addressed. seriously. Wow

dogfish
03-13-2014, 01:23 AM
seriously. Wow

read it again, he has a point. . . ware and talib may upgrade our starting unit, but they are replacements for players we lost, so they do zero to improve depth. . . the ward signing does, because it actually sends a young player with some promise and some starting experience to the bench. . . he's also not wrong saying we need another corner and at least one MIKE. . . and possibly still another end or safety if moore or wolfe can't return to form, which still isn't guaranteed. . . john has unquestionably put in work, but that doesn't mean the job's finished. . . and more so, these guys do need to get out there and prove it on the field. . . we do have a lot of guys right now whose health status is in doubt, and it absolutely is a legitmate concern on a unit that has no depth. . .

bcbronc
03-13-2014, 01:29 AM
seriously. Wow

What? Phillips put up 10 sacks last year, so it's not like we didn't get any production from the guy Ware is replacing. As long as Ware's healthy he's obviously the better player, but it's not like Phillips was the problem with our defence last year.

I'm happy with the signing, expect big things from Ware. But the equation isn't Last Year's Defence + Ware, it's Last Year's Defence - Phillips + Ware...net positive sure (or at least probably) but I don't see going from Phillips to Ware as "filling a hole" so to speak. Should be an upgrade, yes, but again I didn't see Phillips as a major weakness in last year's defence. In this particular roster spot, we've gone from a B+ to what should be an A.

Of course if Ware gets back to where he was 2-3 years ago, then he'd be the best player on our defense and it'd be a huge upgrade. Not sure he's still THAT guy anymore, but I'm in no way complaining about this signing. Just pointing out the FO still has work to do on that side of the ball.

SWotRR
03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
LOL That won't work. Terrance Knighton actually hates pot roast and wanted to shed the nickname when he moved to Denver. He wore #96 in Jacksonville so I always wondered why the Broncos gave him #94.

Unrein was already wearing #96 when Knighton came here.

Northman
03-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Lol,

Of course Denver isnt done with the defensive side of the ball but already we have made some great moves to get impactful players and yes, Ware is an upgrade over phillips no matter how decent of a season he had last year. Is injury a concern? Uh duh, yea. But that can happen to any player on this football team. Of course staying healthy is key to getting back to the dance but again that can happen with any player but you dont get scared about "what ifs". Denver needed to improve on defense and get players who are game changers. Ware is a game changer, Phillips is not. I would like to keep Shawn but if they let him walk im not going to jump off a cliff. Im sure Denver is far from done whether its in FA or in the draft so i wouldnt poo poo yesterdays signings based on "what ifs". Thats just silly.

topscribe
03-13-2014, 09:25 AM
I think Jaded has his tongue in his cheek . . .

topscribe
03-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Still lots of question marks though. How will Harris's recovery go? Same with Vickerson, Moore and Wolfe. And who's going to play MLB? We add a MLB and a mid level veteran CB, then I'll really start to get excited. Ware's a nice signing, we'll see with Talib, but imo Ward so far is really the only hole that's been filled. A huge hole from my perspective no doubt, but there's still holes and question marks to be addressed.
Very insightful. Some questions do remain. However, Elway said in a KOA radio
interview that Moore is already nearly 100%, and Wolfe looks as if he will be
ready to go. He said the worst cases are Von Miller and Harris, who are nursing
their ACLs.

Since Harris' injury is only a partial tear, he should be back early, but it may be
September or so for Miller. That wasn't in Elway's interview, but I read that
elsewhere.

underrated29
03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
read it again, he has a point. . . ware and talib may upgrade our starting unit, but they are replacements for players we lost, so they do zero to improve depth. . . the ward signing does, because it actually sends a young player with some promise and some starting experience to the bench. . . he's also not wrong saying we need another corner and at least one MIKE. . . and possibly still another end or safety if moore or wolfe can't return to form, which still isn't guaranteed. . . john has unquestionably put in work, but that doesn't mean the job's finished. . . and more so, these guys do need to get out there and prove it on the field. . . we do have a lot of guys right now whose health status is in doubt, and it absolutely is a legitmate concern on a unit that has no depth. . .

All accurate, but let us not forget that aside form Harris who got injured late in the year, we made it to the Super Bowl WITH all that depth...now we did lose champ (who was hurt most all year anyway), we did lose mincey (who has been replaced by ware and healthy Wolfe), and we lost DRc (whom I'm really bummed about) but obviously talib is here to replace him.

Of our new starting defense, as of now consisting of, .....ware, knighton, Vick, Wolfe, trevathan, ?mlb, Von, talib, Harris, ?rcb, Moore, ward.....only two of those guys played in the Super Bowl. Knighton and trevathan. The rest were on IR.

Two out of 11. This is very exciting to me. We made it there and only 2 played and now added three more pro bowlers. As long as the bug stays asleep...this is very exciting.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
lot of money. . . i'm just crossing my fingers that we're going to get some semblance of the player he used to be, not the broken-down shell he was last year. . .

end of the day, you can't say elway doesn't make bold moves. . . we're in it to win it, for sure. . .

:suspicious:

public class CompareToJoel
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{

Has picture of person staring at me as avatar and seems crotchety about state of Broncos.

However, picture is of hot chick and made point quickly with style.

Not Joel.
}
}

topscribe
03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
:suspicious:

public class CompareToJoel
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{

Has picture of person staring at me as avatar and seems crotchety about state of Broncos.

However, picture is of hot chick and made point quickly with style.

Not Joel.
}
}
Personally, I appreciate Joel. I know he's viewed somewhat as a negative Nelly,
but it seems we do generally tend to get a bit over-optimistic at times. I don't
get pulled completely over to his side, but reading his contributions often helps
to balance it all out.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Same. I like Joel and often (usually?) agree, when I can muster the fortitude to wade through some of the ramblier ones.

Dogfish is reasonable in his concerns, I'm just playing the homer.

TXBRONC
03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
What? Phillips put up 10 sacks last year, so it's not like we didn't get any production from the guy Ware is replacing. As long as Ware's healthy he's obviously the better player, but it's not like Phillips was the problem with our defence last year.

I'm happy with the signing, expect big things from Ware. But the equation isn't Last Year's Defence + Ware, it's Last Year's Defence - Phillips + Ware...net positive sure (or at least probably) but I don't see going from Phillips to Ware as "filling a hole" so to speak. Should be an upgrade, yes, but again I didn't see Phillips as a major weakness in last year's defence. In this particular roster spot, we've gone from a B+ to what should be an A.

Of course if Ware gets back to where he was 2-3 years ago, then he'd be the best player on our defense and it'd be a huge upgrade. Not sure he's still THAT guy anymore, but I'm in no way complaining about this signing. Just pointing out the FO still has work to do on that side of the ball.

True Denver did get solid sack production from Phillips but IIRC PFF or some other group that compiles stats had Phillips rated in Like 25th in ability to get pressure on the quarterback. So in my estimatation bringing in Ware is attempt to fill a hole. When Denver lost Dumervil they lost not only the sack production they lost a guy is pretty consistent getting pressure on quarterbacks. Phillips replaced the sacks but not the pressure.

I noticed you didn't say anything about Miller and my guess would be that it has to do with him coming off of an injury that understandable. Eventually Miller is going be healthy and when he is he's the best player on the defense.

artie_dale
03-13-2014, 12:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10597281/former-dallas-cowboy-demarcus-ware-perfect-fit-denver-broncos?ex_cid=espnapi_public

IRVING, Texas -- A piece of advice: Do not drive yourself crazy now that we know DeMarcus Ware will play for the Denver Broncos next season. Don't second-guess the decision the Dallas Cowboys made Tuesday to release Ware. It was the correct move.

He wasn't worth the money on an average team like the Cowboys that have a multitude of roster holes to fill. On the Broncos, Ware makes perfect sense. And that's why they gave the 31-year-old defensive end a three-year, $30 million deal.

Ware will earn $13 million in signing bonus and salary this season, and his $7 million salary for next season is guaranteed. Odds are he won't see the third season.

While this article's intent was to ease the worry of the Cowboys' faithful, it made me feel good too.

Runamok
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
How do you know? Have you seen him everywhere?

Uh . . . I mean, on the field, of course . . .

LOL....At first, that went right over my head...oops, again.

NightTerror218
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Knighton tweeted he is giving ware his #94

DenBronx
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Nice! Glad they all worked it out.

I wish football was this Sunday.

dogfish
03-13-2014, 06:34 PM

if we get a healthy ware, those guys are also gonna be givin' O-lines the business all year long. . .

Hawgdriver
03-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Talib for DRC is, imo, pretty much a lateral move. Somewhat different attributes, but about the same level (DRC maybe even a bit better, when you consider Talib's reputation as a head case).

DRC was washed up just as recently as the beginning of last year. JFE nails FA last year, and gets him on a one-year prove-it deal. He proves it. Now DRC is elite? No, now DRC is in the hunt for a fat stack with the recency of a good season to remind everyone he's a talent.

Talib is elite, more physical than DRC, and was Jr's bro. JFE nailed it again, this was not lateral. DRC's best was last year, Talib's best is yet to come.

Well, that's my hope anyway. After all, DRC expressed flippancy over his career moving forward, and lately Talib has played with ferocity and intensity (DRC too, no question). Both are quality, but you have to go forward with the guy who seems more hungry. Talib is that guy.

Go broncos.

Jsteve01
03-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm excited to see what some tutoring from Ware can do for quanterus. very similar physical skill set and he seems to be a willing mentor.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm excited to see what some tutoring from Ware can do for quanterus. very similar physical skill set and he seems to be a willing mentor.

Similar, like in the way a Honda Accord and a Corvette are both cars?

I'm just being funny (quite funny actually), I like Q's potential quite a bit.

Jsteve01
03-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Similar, like in the way a Honda Accord and a Corvette are both cars?

I'm just being funny (quite funny actually), I like Q's potential quite a bit.

been a Broncos fan long enough to remember all the diamond's in the rough but Q would have been a day one or early day two pick had it not been for the nasty knee injury. I'm just talking about being long, rangy, and athletic. Beyond that the comparisons are a stretch.

Simple Jaded
03-13-2014, 08:43 PM

"All of these words are spelled correctly".

MasterShake
03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
If him and Derek Wolfe become a good pass rush tandem I'd like to go ahead and copyright the term "Ware-Wolfe" right now for t-shirts and other merchandising opportunities.

dogfish
03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
lol. . . has a denver draft pick ever gotten more hype for a season on IR than Q smith?

MOtorboat
03-13-2014, 09:27 PM
lol. . . has a denver draft pick ever gotten more hype for a season on IR than Q smith?

And it's basically over three sacks against Alabama...

MOtorboat
03-13-2014, 09:29 PM
He ain't getting on the field much this year, either, btw, unless Miller isn't healthy come game one.

Dapper Dan
03-13-2014, 09:49 PM
I've yet to actually see any "hype" about Q Smith.

NightTerror218
03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
He ain't getting on the field much this year, either, btw, unless Miller isn't healthy come game one.

Just have to see how TC goes. He could come in on some passing down and be apart of rotation

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 10:59 PM
DRC was washed up just as recently as the beginning of last year. JFE nails FA last year, and gets him on a one-year prove-it deal. He proves it. Now DRC is elite? No, now DRC is in the hunt for a fat stack with the recency of a good season to remind everyone he's a talent.

Talib is elite, more physical than DRC, and was Jr's bro. JFE nailed it again, this was not lateral. DRC's best was last year, Talib's best is yet to come.

Well, that's my hope anyway. After all, DRC expressed flippancy over his career moving forward, and lately Talib has played with ferocity and intensity (DRC too, no question). Both are quality, but you have to go forward with the guy who seems more hungry. Talib is that guy.

Go broncos.

IIRC Talib did not have loads of talent in front of him was doing most of his defense without a lot of help.

Now he has a pro bowl SS near pro bowl WLB a very stout DL including Ware and Miller when he has his hand on the ground.

he has to be a happy guy, just as Ware and Ward are..

dogfish
03-14-2014, 03:53 AM
I've yet to actually see any "hype" about Q Smith.

you must be new here. . .

TXBRONC
03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

I am curious to find out if he can play.

CoachChaz
03-14-2014, 08:06 AM
I am curious to find out if he can play.

We all are...but dont get your hopes up

TXBRONC
03-14-2014, 08:11 AM
We all are...but dont get your hopes up

I'm taking a wait and see approach to him.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
For those of you who are jersey number guys/gals, Knighton is going to give up #94 to Ware. Sounds like a respect move instead of a monetary one. Classy.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/What-Number-Will-Ware-Wear/71d85e1b-7eac-47a7-8c62-c70dbe1ca180

Dapper Dan
03-14-2014, 01:23 PM
you must be new here. . .

People are anxious to see him on the field, that's about it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4h

For all the talk about the CBs the Jets didn't land, the player Rex Ryan really wanted was DeMarcus Ware. And Jets didn't make a run at him.

luckyseven
03-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4h

For all the talk about the CBs the Jets didn't land, the player Rex Ryan really wanted was DeMarcus Ware. And Jets didn't make a run at him.

Which is just one more of the reasons that NYJs are a third tier team. If that