PDA

View Full Version : The Bronco Miracle Thread

Northman
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Seeing what transpired yesterday it got me to thinking of how many times this franchise has seen a miracle play when all seemed done and over with. Some of them are more dramatic than others but it is interesting how we have a good history of dramatic wins. Feel free to post your favorites here as ill just point to a few i can recall off the top of my head.

Broncos vs Bengals 09: Stokely catches tip ball and goes 87 yds for the winning
score. Denver wins 12-7

Broncos vs Bills 07: Cutler drives team down within FG range but without any timeouts and has Elam run onto the field to kick a game winning FG. Denver wins 15-14.

Broncos vs Vikings 96: Elway throws 5 yard pass to McCaffrey after pass was tipped by defenders. Denver wins 21-17.

Broncos vs Redskins 95: Elway throws 43 yd pass to Rod Smith as time expires. Denver wins 38-31

Broncos vs Redskins 05: Aside from a huge day from Tatum Bell, Brunell and the Skins stormed back and when trying to go for a 2 pt conversion to tie the game but the pass to Cooley was broken up by a Broncos defender sealing the victory. Denver wins 21-19.

powderaddict
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
John Mobley tips a Favre pass on 4th down. :salute:

EastCoastBronco
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
One of my faves...The Ernest Byner fumble...

Traveler
09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Two blocked kicks back to back in OT for the win in 1985....Denver wins 30-24 against the Chargers.

In perhaps one of the weirdest finishes to an NFL game, the Broncos’ Rulon Jones blocked a field goal five minutes into sudden death and teammate Louie Wright picked up the loose ball and ran for the apparent game-winning score. The officials, however, ruled that Denver had called timeout and thereby nullified the play. The Chargers’ Bob Thomas then attempted another field goal to win it but Denver’s Dennis Smith blocked his second field goal of the game. Wright was on the spot again and raced 60 yards with the ball for the winning touchdown. It marked just the fourth time in history that a team won an overtime game without its offense touching the ball.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/ThrowbackGOW_DEN_at_SD.aspx

broncophan
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Cincy vs. Denver...A couple years ago on Christmas Eve.....I think....

As time winds down the Bengals score a td......and then muff the extra point that would have tied the game....lol

Ravage!!!
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
1997 third and short.. helicopter spinning, qb running, first down play comes to mind

NorthernLights
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Ahem. Remember the Premature EdHoculation that happened last year? He blew it way too soon.

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Ahem. Remember the Premature EdHoculation that happened last year? He blew it way too soon.

Ahem.

That was the right call.

:coffee:

:cool:

In-com-plete
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Ron Dayne!

That run was a miracle.

dogfish
09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
drafting terrell MF davis in the 6th round. . . .

NorthernLights
09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Ahem.

That was the right call.

:coffee:

Actually, wrong call, but wasn't able to change it to the correct call because the rules didn't allow it. That has since been changed.

But we've beat this to death, so we'll move on. :deadhorse:

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I dont know how to put a youtube vid in here but what about Jason Elams last second kick on opening day against the Bills a couple of years ago? That was a miracle play if I had ever seen one on a FIRE drill with seconds left. It's amazing no penalties happened on that play, great execution!

CraigHwk
09-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Not important, but why was McDaniels screaming on the sideline after the touchdown? Did he think he was too cool for that school?:defense:

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
HOLY TOLEDO!!!! here it is...pretty hard to find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpXH3zaF4M

CoachChaz
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Not important, but why was McDaniels screaming on the sideline after the touchdown? Did he think he was too cool for that school?:defense:

Seemed to me he wanted the players to act like they've scored before and get ready for the conversion without getting an excessive celebration penalty. Notice he had to take a timeout before they went for 2.

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Seemed to me he wanted the players to act like they've scored before and get ready for the conversion without getting an excessive celebration penalty. Notice he had to take a timeout before they went for 2.

He didn't want a 15-yard penalty on the kickoff. It was a smart move on his part.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Good heads up by the coach. He actually was aware of the extra 18 seconds that had been taken off of the clock too.

CraigHwk
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Ah yah , that makes sense then. Good call indeed. Hard not to celebrate after that though. :)

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Good heads up by the coach. He actually was aware of the extra 18 seconds that had been taken off of the clock too.

Yeah, that was definitely a mystery...a little home-cooking clock work me thinks.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Eddie Royals back to back jerk routes against San Diego.

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Ah yah , that makes sense then. Good call indeed. Hard not to celebrate after that though. :)

Go read the story that Carol just posted from denverbroncos.com, Orton references trying not to celebrate too much, and said he was breathless and barely even got the play-call out on the 2-pt. conversion.

CoachChaz
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Go read the story that Carol just posted from denverbroncos.com, Orton references trying not to celebrate too much, and said he was breathless and barely even got the play-call out on the 2-pt. conversion.

I know if I sprined 90+ yards I'd be a little out of breath as well.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Two things I liked from yesterday.

1. McDaniels showed some passion and wasn't affraid to give Orton a mouthful when he needed to.

2. Orton wants to win. You can't deny that.

shank
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM

you can also clearly see him yell something to the effect of "we need to go for 2!" into his headset before calling the timeout. moving 5 yards back on a delay of game would have made the conversion much harder.

topscribe
09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Maybe some other old-timers (or medium-timers) can help me out here. But I
remember a pass from Elway, I think it was to McCaffrey, and I think it was
against San Diego.

It was estimated at the time that the pass went nearly 80 yards in the air.
Now, I don't mean from the 20 to the opposite goal. We have to remember
the cross-field hypotenuse involved. For instance, if a pass goes 60 yards
down the field and all the way across, that's 80 yards in the air. I don't
remember exactly how it happened now, but that is just an example.

Anyway, IIRC, the receiver was getting so deep that the defender gave up
on him and gravitated back toward the action. Elway wound up and let it fly,
and the receiver waltzed all alone into the end zone.

Does anybody else remember that? :look:

-----

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe some other old-timers (or medium-timers) can help me out here. But I
remember a pass from Elway, I think it was to McCaffrey, and I think it was
against San Diego.

It was estimated at the time that the pass went nearly 80 yards in the air.
Now, I don't mean from the 20 to the opposite goal. We have to remember
the cross-field hypotenuse involved. For instance, if a pass goes 60 yards
down the field and all the way across, that's 80 yards in the air. I don't
remember exactly how it happened now, but that is just an example.

Anyway, IIRC, the receiver was getting so deep that the defender gave up
on him and gravitated back toward the action. Elway wound up and let it fly,
and the receiver waltzed all alone into the end zone.

Does anybody else remember that? :look:

-----

Michael Young in the playoffs in 1990 against Cleveland?

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM

It was a bad call but it didn't win the game for us.

topscribe
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Michael Young in the playoffs in 1990 against Cleveland?

Might have been. That was more like a 70-yard pass, IIRC.

Guess I'll have to do some research someday, if I ever get the time . . .

-----

In-com-plete
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I dont know how to put a youtube vid in here but what about Jason Elams last second kick on opening day against the Bills a couple of years ago? That was a miracle play if I had ever seen one on a FIRE drill with seconds left. It's amazing no penalties happened on that play, great execution!

I was at that game.

I had like 4 Bills fans yelling "It's over" at me after Cutler threw that lateral to Young and he knocked it out of bounds and made it 3rd & 25.

Of course, they didn't have shit to say when that kick went through the uprights.

Best game I've ever been to.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I was at that game.

I had like 4 Bills fans yelling "It's over" at me after Cutler threw that lateral to Young and he knocked it out of bounds and made it 3rd & 25.

Of course, they didn't have shit to say when that kick went through the uprights.

how cool would have been to be at the BUNGELS game yesterday? i wonder how quiet the fans would have been walking out to the car? lol

too bad it wasnt against the chargers or raiders though. it would have been a lot more enjoyable.

topscribe
09-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I was at that game.

Nothing I like better than hearing about shutting up trash-talkers and hecklers. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/throckon.gif

-----

topscribe
09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
how cool would have been to be at the BUNGELS game yesterday? i wonder how quiet the fans would have been walking out to the car? lol

too bad it wasnt against the chargers or raiders though. it would have been a lot more enjoyable.

After Stokley's TD, he mentioned how he enjoyed the silence from the crowd. :D

-----

LRtagger
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Not to mention the very next week and the infamous last second TO against the faid