PDA

View Full Version : Im loving the Ward, Talib signings.

Northman
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
If we can somehow land Ware that would be a bonus at this point. I went to sleep thinking we werent going to make any impact moves but now i feel much much better about this upcoming year. Elway isnt playing around which is great. And if Allen is still interested i think we have a good chance of either landing him or Ware at this point. Go Broncos!

OrangeHoof
03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm happy with Ward and Caldwell. I think we overspent on Talib and would rather have kept DR-C. I'd lean towards Allen over Ware but it looks like the front office feels the opposite. Ware needs to pass a physical before I'd sign him. If we sign Ware, I'm thinking we will convert to a 3-4 because I just don't see Ware as a true 4-3 OLB or a DE. He's a one-trick pony which is rushing off the edge.

If we then switch to a 3-4, that means maybe we are looking for some ILBs instead of a true MLB.

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm happy with Ward and Caldwell. I think we overspent on Talib and would rather have kept DR-C. I'd lean towards Allen over Ware but it looks like the front office feels the opposite. Ware needs to pass a physical before I'd sign him. If we sign Ware, I'm thinking we will convert to a 3-4 because I just don't see Ware as a true 4-3 OLB or a DE. He's a one-trick pony which is rushing off the edge.

If we then switch to a 3-4, that means maybe we are looking for some ILBs instead of a true MLB.

We're not switching to a 3-4. If he signs here, he's just going to play a 4-3 DE and that's that.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I also think we overpaid for Talib, but I suspect that a) he won't see the end of the deal anyway and b) we probably would've had to pay DRC something similar to keep him. I worry about Talib getting injured and/or lazy, especially with a longer term deal, but I can't argue with his talent. Ward was a steal. Looks like we're leaning towards Ware, so we might as well take care of that today and go from there.

I still think we'll need a #2 WR, another CB (in the draft, I'd imagine), a MLB and some OL depth. I'd take Golden Tate, but I'm guessing he'll be too expensive at this point. I really wanted Sproles also, but that looks unlikely now. We probably also don't have enough left to take a run at Daryl Smith, and our FO seems to not value the MLB anyway.

Rick
03-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I think they like Ware better because he has been a high impact player at both 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE.

Would allow more versatility by letting them move Ware and Miller around.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:06 AM

I agree with some of your post Hoof, not with the Caldwell signing which was nothing more then a depth signing IMHO. And I like much of what Talib brings but I am concerned regarding his long history of injuries. But as Denver stands right now, we are better suited changing to a 3-4 personnel wise then remaining with the 4-3, we have no true 4-3 defensive ends on the roster, Malik Jackson is the closest to that of all those on the roster, it would make sense to change now if they plan to.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
We're not switching to a 3-4. If he signs here, he's just going to play a 4-3 DE and that's that.

Denver runs the 3-4 more often then some understand or give credence to, to say that it's completely out of the realm of possibility is shortsightedness on anyone's part.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-12-2014, 08:37 AM
I love the signings also, but I would love to know how much cap room we have. Ward was a steal at that price tag and he will be a good Bronco for years to come. Talib is more physical than DRC, but his injury history is troubling. Still, he's a difference maker at that position.

We still have no starting OG, #2 WR, and depth across the board. I know Elway is getting ready to sift through the bargain bin after the market settles, but I think OL at this point has to still be a major concern, especially after that Super Bowl.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I love the signings also, but I would love to know how much cap room we have. Ward was a steal at that price tag and he will be a good Bronco for years to come. Talib is more physical than DRC, but his injury history is troubling. Still, he's a difference maker at that position.

We still have no starting OG, #2 WR, and depth across the board. I know Elway is getting ready to sift through the bargain bin after the market settles, but I think OL at this point has to still be a major concern, especially after that Super Bowl.

Don't expect much more from the Broncos, I expect Denver will come to terms regarding a defensive end or pass rusher within the next 24 hours, Allen I believe is atop their list, Ware a close second but it could come down to Peppers in the end. But mike linebackers are flying off the shelf, of the top ten names in free agency only Smith is not yet inked but is in talks with the Ravens and Beason and the Giants are in talks as well. Denver could be looking at second tier inside linebackers like Spikes, Henderson, Sharpton and Jordan by the time they get to it, or they may just wait if they don't feel they're what they want at the position till the draft. There are still a number of guards left, most are on the downside of their careers (of those left) I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos added Uche Uwaneri in the next few days. As for receivers, at this point I think they'll be looking at the draft to fix the position to be honest, they're covering a lot of needs right now, some will have to be fixed via the draft.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Except Denver ran a 3-4 when Miller was on the field last year, so...

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Don't expect much more from the Broncos, I expect Denver will come to terms regarding a defensive end or pass rusher within the next 24 hours, Allen I believe is atop their list, Ware a close second but it could come down to Peppers in the end. But mike linebackers are flying off the shelf, of the top ten names in free agency only Smith is not yet inked but is in talks with the Ravens and Beason and the Giants are in talks as well. Denver could be looking at second tier inside linebackers like Spikes, Henderson, Sharpton and Jordan by the time they get to it, or they may just wait if they don't feel they're what they want at the position till the draft. There are still a number of guards left, most are on the downside of their careers (of those left) I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos added Uche Uwaneri in the next few days. As for receivers, at this point I think they'll be looking at the draft to fix the position to be honest, they're covering a lot of needs right now, some will have to be fixed via the draft.

Between the market for FA WRs and the WR depth in the draft, I'm not concerned as much with that position. My post assumes that we sign Allen or Ware (or Peppers possibly) so the pass rushing need comes off the list. As for MLB, Elway put a bandaid on the position the past 2 years. I kind of expect the same this year, especially if we sign Ware/Allen.

At this point, I'm concerned with who Manning has blocking in front of him.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
I still hope we will hear more why Denver went with Talib over DRC. Something really must have gone wrong in that negotiation.

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
that's great news North why don't you go jerk yourself off (just kidding)

HORSEPOWER 56
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Except Denver ran a 3-4 when Miller was on the field last year, so...

It's not really a true 3-4 that we run. Often we convert to a 3-3-5 when we go into the nickel package instead of a base 4-2-5 nickel like most 4-3 teams do. We line up in a straight 4-3 typically on first down and play on over formation where the SLB lines up near or on the LOS outside the DE over the TE. It gives us a 5-2 look to our front to stop the run.

The 3-3-5 looks a lot like a 3-4 but usually only because Miller is always rushing the passer alongside the 3 down linemen. So really, it's a 4-2-5 with Miller playing the role of that 4th D-lineman (but usually standing up).

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:05 AM
I still hope we will hear more why Denver went with Talib over DRC. Something really must have gone wrong in that negotiation.

We offered DRC a deal close to that. I would have sort of been pissed if DRC got that kind of deal from us. Talibs more physical and DRC could have been playing negotiating games.....which might have tempted Elway to just pull the trigger on Aqib.

underrated29
03-12-2014, 11:26 AM
We are rumored to be after a wr and beason or Daryl smith.....expect at least one to two more after ware....

Oh and LG will be taken within our first three picks....Yankey, sia huala, gabe Watson, dozier.....one will be our starting lg.

That just leaves rb , backup center and backup lb..

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 01:45 PM
It's not really a true 3-4 that we run. Often we convert to a 3-3-5 when we go into the nickel package instead of a base 4-2-5 nickel like most 4-3 teams do. We line up in a straight 4-3 typically on first down and play on over formation where the SLB lines up near or on the LOS outside the DE over the TE. It gives us a 5-2 look to our front to stop the run.

The 3-3-5 looks a lot like a 3-4 but usually only because Miller is always rushing the passer alongside the 3 down linemen. So really, it's a 4-2-5 with Miller playing the role of that 4th D-lineman (but usually standing up).

Apparently I forgot to come back to this thread and defend myself. Thank you. This. We primarily play a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5. We have not had 4 linebackers on the field at any point in the year. Phillips did not play LB for us last year.

Also, ware does not fix the problem that we 0 legitimate MLBs, let alone 2.

Bosco
03-12-2014, 01:57 PM
I love the free agency period so far, but we still need to upgrade MLB and FS in serious ways.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Apparently I forgot to come back to this thread and defend myself. Thank you. This. We primarily play a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5. We have not had 4 linebackers on the field at any point in the year. Phillips did not play LB for us last year.

Also, ware does not fix the problem that we 0 legitimate MLBs, let alone 2.

Yes we did.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/2ndPlay_zps3e9e1e2a.png

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/2ndPlay_zps005931d1.png

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/6thPlay_zps923b5f58.png

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/4thPlaySecondView_zps3968a4ab.png

Simple Jaded
03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
With the Broncos personnel they can now run whatever they want, I think they are set up to jump in and out of 4-3 or 3-4 without actually having to make substitutions. They'll still run quite a bit of 34, imo, I don't think Denver lands Ware otherwise.

nevcraw
03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
love the ware signing... I still hope for Allen.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:27 PM
love the ware signing... I still hope for Allen.

Wont happen it was either one or the other.

Question is, what happens with Shaun Phillips now?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Wont happen it was either one or the other.

Question is, what happens with Shaun Phillips now?

I would really like to see him back. I became a big fan of his last year.