PDA

View Full Version : Current Salary Cap after Talib commitment...

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 01:07 AM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-crude-guesstimate-on-denvers-current-cap-space

Once we account for Kuper, that would mean the Broncos had $31.5M with which to play.

Obviously, we have no idea how today's deals are structured, and we'll know soon enough (or not soon enough, else we wouldn't be doing this).

For argument's sake, let's just look at the average annual values, based upon what's been reported:

Andre Caldwell: $1.725M/year max value (for all we know, it's closer to $1.4M without incentives)
Ward: $5.75M/year
Talib: $9.5M/year

That's a total of $16.975M theoretically gone, leaving $14.525M free to get Ware and anyone else.

I think we are in pretty good shape still.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Still in good shape. Plenty to get Ware or Allen then look to the draft. Bet either Dreesen or Tamme get the boot here soon too. No need for both of them when Julius went bat shit crazy on defenses last year.

We are picking at 31 so our 1st is going to be cheaper. Wouldnt even mind a trade up in the 20s to get a MLB. Or stay put and land Skov in round 3.

Either way....our draft isnt going to cost 11 mill like some think.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Keep in mind guys the cap is projected to jump up to at least 160 mill by 2016.

Thats going to help sign DT, VM or anyone else we need to sign currently on the team.

ShaneFalco
03-12-2014, 03:37 AM
wow if we drop around 10 for ware, maybe we could grab peppers as well.

Or maybe even go after Revis if Ware doesnt pan out.

Is that with adjusted salary for rookies in the draft?

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 05:45 AM
We wont go after Revis now and Ware should come in around 9 mill a year. Thats roughly 5 mill left and we still might cut another current Bronco.

If we sign Ware then I dont expect us to sign anymore FAs unless its a Kenny Britt or Brandon Browner type of guy. We would need a 1 year prove it deal.

SR
03-12-2014, 06:51 AM
I would still love Elway to grab Browner

OrangeHoof
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Would not surprise me if some of the multi-year deals are backloaded meaning Talib signs for less in 2014 but more on the back end of his contract. I still can't believe we paid money for some thug who got his punk ass handed to him by Wes Welker in the AFC Championship Game. I would have rather kept DR-C.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 07:58 AM
I would still love Elway to grab Browner

He could end up being the best bang for your buck out of any FA this offseason.

Hes going to be suspended the first 4 games and is walking a thin line of a year suspension but if physicality in the secondary is what we want the he fits the bill.

Even if we got Ware or Allen id still like to see a deal with Browner. Talib, Browner, Harris Jr, Ward and Moore?? That would be an insane secondary.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Would not surprise me if some of the multi-year deals are backloaded meaning Talib signs for less in 2014 but more on the back end of his contract. I still can't believe we paid money for some thug who got his punk ass handed to him by Wes Welker in the AFC Championship Game. I would have rather kept DR-C.

Hes guaranteed like 26 mill. Meaning after year 3 he could probably be cut if we needed the room. His average is about 9 mill a year. Basically he got a deal simular to what Champ got but we have built in security if needed. We cut Champ and didnt take a hit....same will go with Talib.

broncofaninfla
03-12-2014, 08:07 AM
In Elway i trust..........

Mike
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I have been out, any news on DRC?

broncofaninfla
03-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Even with the money that has been spent to date Denver is still pursuing Smith and Beason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/linebackers-jon-beason-daryl-smith-on-broncos-radar/

broncofaninfla
03-12-2014, 08:14 AM

We signed Talib so DRC is most likely gone.

Slick
03-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Some of the homos that do twitter said we pulled the offer on DRC.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Even with the money that has been spent to date Denver is still pursuing Smith and Beason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/linebackers-jon-beason-daryl-smith-on-broncos-radar/

Opinionative, Smith is still in serious talks with Baltimore and the Giants are talking to Beason's agent, PFT ran with a fluff piece based on an article that was written after the Broncos closed the deal with Ward, the same article said that Denver would be signing DRC and Allen, now we have Talib and are looking to Ware, it wasn't written based off information from the team but based on the writer's limited insight.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Some of the homos that do twitter said we pulled the offer on DRC.

You know Elway uses Twitter correct? Just asking.

And we did pull it, he was offered similar numbers to Talib but he and his agent gawked at the deal, so the Broncos made him gawk more by going after a more talented corner who accepted the money they offered and pulled the offer from DRC.

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I know I shared the twitter link in the Talib thread but I don't twitter, I reddit r/nfl.

OB
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
I have NO IDEA how this cap stuff works - my question is if we sign another big name player - how much money is left for the ones we draft? Or will we just draft guys that wont be signing big contracts?

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I have NO IDEA how this cap stuff works - my question is if we sign another big name player - how much money is left for the ones we draft? Or will we just draft guys that wont be signing big contracts?

I'm pretty sure the annual cap is simply the entire $$ spent on players for that year. I do not know if bonuses paid that year apply though (aren't some bonuses given at the signing?).

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the annual cap is simply the entire $$ spent on players for that year. I do not know if bonuses paid that year apply though (aren't some bonuses given at the signing?).

Signing bonuses? They are distributed equally through the length of the contract. 10 mllion bonus on a 5 year deal, 2 million per year against the cap....whether on the team or not.

Performance bonuses depend on the bonus. Meaning, if you have a guy that has had 3 straight 1000 yrd seasons means that putting a 'bonus' in for hitting 1 thousand yrds is considered a "likely" bonus, which applies to THIS year. If you have a guy that has never hit 1000 yrds, putting a 1 thousand yard bonus is considered "unlikely" and would count against the cap NEXT year if the 1000 yrds were hit (ok, I realize you weren't talkign about performance bonuses, but I was bored).

weazel
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
17 is a giant cap hit for Talib... I think they overspent on a guy that got beat like a mule by us just a few games ago. Hi biggest upside is his strength and Welker beat him up.

**EDIT - Read original post wrong. I get it isn't 17 million now.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
17 is a giant cap hit for Talib... I think they overspent on a guy that got beat like a mule by us just a few games ago. Hi biggest upside is his strength and Welker beat him up.

Please re-think every portion of this post and try again. NONE of it is valid

weazel
03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
17 is a GIANT cap hit. We had DRC and could have resigned him, most likely at a cap friendlier salary.

This is the third team Talib has played for in the last 6 months... just saying. He was traded (along with a 7th round pick) for a 4th round pick, I dont see that as a 17 million dollar player.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
17 is a GIANT cap hit. We had DRC and could have resigned him, most likely at a cap friendlier salary.

This is the third team Talib has played for in the last 6 months... just saying. He was traded (along with a 7th round pick) for a 4th round pick, I dont see that as a 17 million dollar player.

Where is the $17M cap hit? Is that this year?

SR
03-12-2014, 11:08 AM
17 is a GIANT cap hit. We had DRC and could have resigned him, most likely at a cap friendlier salary. This is the third team Talib has played for in the last 6 months... just saying. He was traded (along with a 7th round pick) for a 4th round pick, I dont see that as a 17 million dollar player.

He was traded to NE on Nov 1, 2012. So try again there, too.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:11 AM
17 is a giant cap hit for Talib.

Wtf does this even mean?

Buff
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM

What are you talking about? The whole reason we signed Talib was because we couldn't get DRC at a cap-friendlier number. If we wanted a top-tier DB in this year's free agency class, it was going to cost us. Everyone needs a secondary upgrade.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:15 AM

It's never. The total contract averages 9.5 a year and depending on how it's structured, we could fill the 26 mil obligation in 3 years and cut him after without a significant hit long term.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:15 AM

No...I dont think weasel understands.

Talib is going to get paid around 9 mill...TOTAL cap hit from him this year. He is guaranteed about 26 mill for his total contract which would be paid off by the end of year 3 of his 6 year deal. We can easily cut him year 4 if needed.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:17 AM

It's never. The total contract averages 9.5 a year and depending on how it's structured, we could fill the 26 mil obligation in 3 years and cut him after without a significant hit long term.

Lol posted almost the same time.

weazel
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Okay, I see... I read the original post wrong. I gotcha, 9.75 a season is alot better. My mistake, the post was about Talib but then he lumped Ward's contract in with the cap hit. I'm at work and sometimes look at the posts very quickly.

weazel
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
What are you talking about? The whole reason we signed Talib was because we couldn't get DRC at a cap-friendlier number. If we wanted a top-tier DB in this year's free agency class, it was going to cost us. Everyone needs a secondary upgrade.

I admitted I read it wrong, but you have no idea about the contract talks with DRC... nobody does. Thats just pure speculation

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Okay, I see... I read the original post wrong. I gotcha, 9.75 a season is alot better. My mistake, the post was about Talib but then he lumped Ward's contract in with the cap hit. I'm at work and sometimes look at the posts very quickly.

Even then it should only be 15 mil. 5.5 for Ward and 9.5 for Talib

Buff
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I admitted I read it wrong, but you have no idea about the contract talks with DRC... nobody does. Thats just pure speculation

But Klis reported that Allen and DRC overplayed their hand and Elway moved on. Thus it's not really speculation - it's a report by a guy with access.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
But Klis reported that Allen and DRC overplayed their hand and Elway moved on. Thus it's not really speculation - it's a report by a guy with access.

The only time I don't trust Elway is during the draft

Lancane
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
The only time I don't trust Elway is during the draft

Amen to that...his best draft was when Xanders was still here. I was hoping they'd hire an actual GM, but alas to my great disappointment it will not be so...

weazel
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM

I dont think anyone knows the whole story when it comes to any meetings with players. It's like any business, nobody talks about what was said at the table.

OB
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
So now with the Ware signing how much is left?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 13h

.@TrentSNelson Broncos made DRC a generous offer last night, similar to the money they gave Talib. A victim of haggling.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 13h

.@TrentSNelson Broncos made DRC a generous offer last night, similar to the money they gave Talib. A victim of haggling.

Apparently the same thing happened with Allen

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

Keep hearing how the Broncos will find themselves in cap hell in two years. People forget 20-mill (PFM) will be off the books in two years.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 5m

Anxious to see the signing bonus due Ware/Ward/Talib. I bet it's smaller than comparable contracts.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 6m

They pay more annual salary with less signing bonus money. It's those bonuses that lead to dead money.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 8m

I don't think people understand this salary cap business. These three deals by the Broncos are cap friendly for a couple reasons ....

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m

After Talib, Ware, Ward and Caldwell deals, minus draft class space, #Broncos have a little less than $10M in cap space remaining w top 51.

03-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m

After Talib, Ware, Ward and Caldwell deals, minus draft class space, #Broncos have a little less than $10M in cap space remaining w top 51.

Looks as though it's not over yet.

Buff
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
I dont think anyone knows the whole story when it comes to any meetings with players. It's like any business, nobody talks about what was said at the table.

Yeah, nobody except for the beat writer who talked to the GM who was in the meeting.

ShaneFalco
03-12-2014, 06:44 PM
any word on Moreno/ decker?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 06:47 PM
any word on Moreno/ decker?

Decker visited the Jets today - have not heard anything on Moreno

Slick
03-12-2014, 06:53 PM
You know Elway uses Twitter correct? Just asking.

So what? Twitter is ghey.

OB
03-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Decker visited the Jets today - have not heard anything on Moreno

That's lame - the j e t s. come on man

weazel
03-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah, nobody except for the beat writer who talked to the GM who was in the meeting.

Yep and the GM felt the need to tell the beat writer every intimate detail of the meeting lmfao
I like you buff and have always thought you were pretty bright but if you believe that beat writers are privy to all details of contract meetings I will have to rethink my opinion of you

Buff
03-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Yep and the GM felt the need to tell the beat writer every intimate detail of the meeting lmfao
I like you buff and have always thought you were pretty bright but if you believe that beat writers are privy to all details of contract meetings I will have to rethink my opinion of you

We can still like each other. I just think Klis is a solid beat writer with access to Elway and Fox and I believe his version of the events.

DenBronx
03-13-2014, 02:30 AM
John Elway with his interview on NFLN, "Well we're still looking."

That was after the Ware signing.

CrazyHorse
03-13-2014, 03:00 AM
John Elway with his interview on NFLN, "Well we're still looking."

That was after the Ware signing.

There's still holes to fill like MLB, OG, and possibly WR. We could use depth in our secondary and offensive line as well.

DenBronx
03-13-2014, 03:18 AM
Darren Sproles for the win!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2h

.@Joe_Solomon The issue is cash. Broncos have the cap space to make more deals, but they've reached max levels in cash allotment.

Buff
03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2h

.@Joe_Solomon The issue is cash. Broncos have the cap space to make more deals, but they've reached max levels in cash allotment.

I have never ever understood this excuse, and the Broncos have used it on multiple occasions. We are the Denver ******* Broncos - we should have all the liquid assets we need at all times. This ain't Oakland.

DenBronx
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
We are most likely done with the FA period unless its a veteran desperate for a ring or to just play himself into a new deal.

By the way, DRC is a complete moron for rejecting the Broncos offer....which was simular to Talib.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2014, 03:03 PM
I have never ever understood this excuse, and the Broncos have used it on multiple occasions. We are the Denver ******* Broncos - we should have all the liquid assets we need at all times. This ain't Oakland.

I am guessing, but maybe this refers to guaranteed money

Buff
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I am guessing, but maybe this refers to guaranteed money

Yeah - it basically means that we only have so much cash sitting around to pay out up-front bonuses. Guess we better start selling some assets so that we can go spend more $$!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah - it basically means that we only have so much cash sitting around to pay out up-front bonuses. Guess we better start selling some assets so that we can go spend more $$!!!

Isn't this all part of the salary cap?

artie_dale
03-13-2014, 03:45 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/before-landing-talib-broncos-made-a-run-at-revis/

As the source explains it, DRC declined to accept a deal believed to be worth $54 million over six years. So the team decided to contact Camp Revis, offering roughly the same package that Talib ultimately accepted. Revis declined, holding firm to his demand for $12 million per year.

At that point, the Broncos landed in the Talib business. He’ll get $11.5 million this year, plus up to another $500,000 via per-game roster bonuses. If he plays all 16 games (something he’s never done), Talib will be paid $12 million for 2014.

03-13-2014, 04:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/before-landing-talib-broncos-made-a-run-at-revis/

I like the injury incentives and the fact that we actually conserved cap space for next year to re-sign our guys.

That said, this deal looks more like a 3 year one instead of a 6 year deal at the end of the day.

VonDoom
03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

I like the injury incentives and the fact that we actually conserved cap space for next year to re-sign our guys.

That said, this deal looks more like a 3 year one instead of a 6 year deal at the end of the day.

Guaranteed money is all that matters, so this always looked like a 3 year deal. It's even better, now that details are emerging (I'm on my phone - just look in the Talib thread)

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 05:13 PM

It is the budget that Pat has imposed. It started back about 2007 or so.
He was tired of over spending the cap getting little in return other that over the hill vets that cost a fortune.
This was about the time everyone started calling him cheap and broke. It is simply a good business practice not to spend everything and then have a problem during the season not beng able to sign replacements without giving money away to. Exsisting players to redo their contracts.

For the past 4-5 years once we got out of cap hell this has been the practice to reserve money for IR replacements as well as being able to carry it over to next year.

IIRC we carried some 8+ million to this years cap space. Basically allowing us to sign Talib.

Buff
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
It is the budget that Pat has imposed. It started back about 2007 or so.
He was tired of over spending the cap getting little in return other that over the hill vets that cost a fortune.
This was about the time everyone started calling him cheap and broke. It is simply a good business practice not to spend everything and then have a problem during the season not beng able to sign replacements without giving money away to. Exsisting players to redo their contracts.

For the past 4-5 years once we got out of cap hell this has been the practice to reserve money for IR replacements as well as being able to carry it over to next year.

IIRC we carried some 8+ million to this years cap space. Basically allowing us to sign Talib.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about... No offense. The cashflow issue is completely separate from the salary cap... It's a liquidity issue, not a cap issue.

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Talibs cap space this year is 7.9 million including all bonuses. That is per over the cap.

Also according to them we have about 8.1 still left under the cap.

CB Aqib Talib signed a six year, $57 million contract with the Denver Broncos on March 12, 2014. Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. The full guarantee is made up of a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million 2014 roster bonus, and $4.5 million 2014 base salary. His 2015 and 2016 base salaries are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day of that respective league year. He has $500,000 roster bonuses paid for games active in the first three years of the contract. Base salaries are $4,500,000(2014), $5,500,000(2015), $8,500,000(2016), $11,000,000(2017), $11,000,000(2018), and $8,000,000(2019).

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Aqib%20Talib&Position=CB&Team=Broncos

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about... No offense. The cashflow issue is completely separate from the salary cap... It's a liquidity issue, not a cap issue.

They can call it anything they wish dung flow.

Pat is not strapped for cash, it is a simple budget issue that he and Joe have imposed on Shanahan , Mc D and John.

Something they have done since the last two years of Shanahan.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2014, 05:47 PM
I am trying to understand cash flow - exactly what is that? Is that the cash used to pay Elway, etc., all of the coaches, the office workers, etc?

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 10:28 PM
I am trying to understand cash flow - exactly what is that? Is that the cash used to pay Elway, etc., all of the coaches, the office workers, etc?

that all comes from total revenues and is totally separate from the cap which is only players.

normally cash flow would be how much money you have in your checking account.

I do not believe that is an issue with Pat, it might have been when Shanahan was consistently asking players to redo their contracts because he over spent the cap.

in order to do that the team would give money up front to the player as a bonus which then could be amortized over the life of teh contract. the player would get less money in salary for the year and the bonus would then be spread of=ver the contract say 12 million bonus spread over 4 years is 3 a year.

although it was spread over the contract most if not all of the money was given to the player at the time the contract was signed. he actually would get less salary each year, but have the money (bonus) up front.

as you can see that could deplete "cash flow" since you gave the money today and would not recover that money say for 3-4 years from ticket sales.

Since John has come on board IIRC few if any contracts have been re written with up front bonus money and not many signing bonuses have been given out when going after UFAs.

ware got 5 mil
talib 5 mil
as did Ward and Vasquez last year

opposed to Miller when he signed almost 14 million.

CrazyHorse
03-14-2014, 05:52 AM
Talibs cap space this year is 7.9 million including all bonuses. That is per over the cap.

Also according to them we have about 8.1 still left under the cap.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Aqib%20Talib&Position=CB&Team=Broncos

They still have Kuper's contract on there. After that's gone won't it leave it at almost $14 million?

weazel
03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
We can still like each other. I just think Klis is a solid beat writer with access to Elway and Fox and I believe his version of the events.

you mean like, like? don't tease me here buff, I getting a semi!

VonDoom
03-14-2014, 10:19 AM
They still have Kuper's contract on there. After that's gone won't it leave it at almost $14 million?

If that sheet is correct, there would be some dead money associated with Kuper leaving (or does that not happen if a guy retires? I honestly don't know). So say conservatively another $4 million on top of what's there, or $12 million and change.

I did a little looking at the deals for our new FA's, and while I like what they've done, the cap situation next year is a little worse than I had thought. Everyone's cap hit is larger in 2015. Take the Ware, Ward and Talib, and add in Manning and Clady (our two highest cap hits before FA) and this year, the five combine for $46,922,916 in cap. In 2015, those same five players total $58,516,666, an increase of $11,593,750. Of course, the cap is due to increase next year and one of these years, Manning is going to retire, so I still don't think we're in bad shape in terms of cap.

topscribe
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
If that sheet is correct, there would be some dead money associated with Kuper leaving (or does that not happen if a guy retires? I honestly don't know). So say conservatively another $4 million on top of what's there, or $12 million and change.

I did a little looking at the deals for our new FA's, and while I like what they've done, the cap situation next year is a little worse than I had thought. Everyone's cap hit is larger in 2015. Take the Ware, Ward and Talib, and add in Manning and Clady (our two highest cap hits before FA) and this year, the five combine for $46,922,916 in cap. In 2015, those same five players total $58,516,666, an increase of $11,593,750. Of course, the cap is due to increase next year and one of these years, Manning is going to retire, so I still don't think we're in bad shape in terms of cap.
I don't have time to look into all this CAP and cash flow stuff, so I appreciate
discussions such as this. All I know is that I look at next year's obligations, and
I say, "How are they possibly going to manage that?" And lo and behold, as it
turns out, they do . . .

VonDoom
03-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't have time to look into all this CAP and cash flow stuff, so I appreciate
discussions such as this. All I know is that I look at next year's obligations, and
I say, "How are they possibly going to manage that?" And lo and behold, as it
turns out, they do . . .

Yeah, I often think things just like this. I know other teams' fans were surprised and upset by what we were able to accomplish this year. It's really too early to look to next year's cap; I just felt like giving it a look, since the cap stuff is pretty interesting to me (I guess that comes from working in accounting). I figured those five guys were definitely going to be on the team next year, barring something crazy happening (though a Manning retirement is always a possibility one of these years). So I was curious as to how the cap situation stood for our heaviest hitters. That's before any new deals for DT, Julius, Von, etc. Next offseason will be very interesting, but I'm content to just enjoy this season's ride for now.

luckyseven
03-14-2014, 10:15 PM

his cap savings is only 4 mil and change($4,084,830). not sure why he is still on the payroll unless he has not filed retirement papers yet.

luckyseven
03-14-2014, 10:21 PM

according to OTC if you take kuper out factoring in his dead money.
Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap . Cap Room
2014 $130,826,902 $142,550,302 $11,723,400

factoring in comings and goings for 2015.
Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap . Cap Room
2015 $89,062,292 $140,000,000 $50,937,708

Jsteve01
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Mike Sullivan. Unsung hero of this offseason

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Even after the signings of DeMarcus Ware, AqibTalib, T.J. Ward and Emmanuel Sanders the Denver Broncos have more cap space than nine other NFL teams.

Denver Broncos: 11,802,337.00*
Chicago Bears: 8,553,177.00
Carolina Panthers 7,939,546.00
Dallas Cowboys: 7,237,442.00
The Kansas City Chiefs: 6,942,069.00
San Francisco 49ers: 5,306,835.00
San Diego Chargers: 5,210,747.00
Detroit Lions: 4,049,330.00
The Pittsburgh Steelers: 3,469,434.00
New Orleans Saints: 2,429,212.00

Credit to John Elway & Mike Sullivan

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Looks like enough to bring Mr Moreno back home. Get er done!

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Cheap depth would be better...especially at CB. Carlos Rogers, Jabari Greer, Terrell Thomas

VonDoom
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Even after the signings of DeMarcus Ware, AqibTalib, T.J. Ward and Emmanuel Sanders the Denver Broncos have more cap space than nine other NFL teams.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your numbers? Overthecap.com has a slightly different figure for the Broncos ($11,781,000) but that doesn't include the Sanders deal yet (I'm guessing the actual contract details haven't been release yet). Assume we're left with something like $7 million after that. I doubt we'll be making any other big moves at this point and just plugging in bargain players before and after the draft.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your numbers? Overthecap.com has a slightly different figure for the Broncos ($11,781,000) but that doesn't include the Sanders deal yet (I'm guessing the actual contract details haven't been release yet). Assume we're left with something like $7 million after that. I doubt we'll be making any other big moves at this point and just plugging in bargain players before and after the draft.

From the guys at Bronco Planet on FB. As you can see, they are giving credit to Elway and Mike Sulivan at the bottom of their post. It's also posted with NFL News & Updates.

11.8 and 11.781 are still close figures.

VonDoom
03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
From the guys at Bronco Planet on FB. As you can see, they are giving credit to Elway and Mike Sulivan at the bottom of their post. It's also posted with NFL News & Updates.

11.8 and 11.781 are still close figures.

Right, I'm just saying that OTC didn't have the Sanders deal listed yet and your information says it's there. Something's off somewhere, but I don't have the time to go through it all and see where it is. I just don't think the Sanders deal has been released as far as how the deal was structured, so I don't know how it could be included in anyone's figures yet.

CoachChaz
03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Sanders’ signing will also take the Broncos out of the free agency game for the most part at the moment. They have about $6 million in workable cap space after Sanders’ deal and have an offensive lineman or two on the radar, but they are finished making the big splashes. The Broncos are also still prepared to take a long look at a deep class if big, physical, speedy receivers in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5691/broncos-saw-sanders-as-a-primary-target

VonDoom
03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Sanders’ signing will also take the Broncos out of the free agency game for the most part at the moment. They have about $6 million in workable cap space after Sanders’ deal and have an offensive lineman or two on the radar, but they are finished making the big splashes. The Broncos are also still prepared to take a long look at a deep class if big, physical, speedy receivers in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5691/broncos-saw-sanders-as-a-primary-target

Yeah, that backs up the numbers that I saw. If he's getting $5-6 million this year, that puts us at about $6-7 million left.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 04:28 PM

OTC says $11,781,000 without Sanders in the mix

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Right, I'm just saying that OTC didn't have the Sanders deal listed yet and your information says it's there. Something's off somewhere, but I don't have the time to go through it all and see where it is. I just don't think the Sanders deal has been released as far as how the deal was structured, so I don't know how it could be included in anyone's figures yet.

Yeah, that backs up the numbers that I saw. If he's getting $5-6 million this year, that puts us at about $6-7 million left.

OTC says $11,781,000 without Sanders in the mix

Thats because you guys didnt read the post correct. It said we still have more cap space than nine other teams. It never said we have 11.8 mill but it has 11.8 with an asterik by it to show its not been modified yet. There is a gap between the Bears and Broncos because after the Sanders deal it should put us right above the Bears which is still more than nine other teams. Most likely its around 8 million. Not sure what part of Sanders contract is going to count towards this year but I think some of its a signing bonus which might not count against the cap.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Not sure why it has 2 mill of dead money for DRC. Does that fall off now that he has a new deal? There was no contract for him beyond last year so why should be get penalized? Same for Chris Kuper.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Thats because you guys didnt read the post correct. It said we still have more cap space than nine other teams. It never said we have 11.8 mill but it has 11.8 with an asterik by it to show its not been modified yet. There is a gap between the Bears and Broncos because after the Sanders deal it should put us right above the Bears which is still more than nine other teams. Most likely its around 8 million. Not sure what part of Sanders contract is going to count towards this year but I think some of its a signing bonus which might not count against the cap.

Then you should have put that explaintion at the bottom behind the *

Like all other *lovers do.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Not sure why it has 2 mill of dead money for DRC. Does that fall off now that he has a new deal? There was no contract for him beyond last year so why should be get penalized? Same for Chris Kuper.

It was dead money because it was part of his contract. They get a bonus it gets prorated over the life of the contract.

That is where the dead money comes from.

So unless they are waived and someone claims him ans picks up the entire contract it stays on our dead money.

VonDoom
03-17-2014, 09:07 PM
It was dead money because it was part of his contract. They get a bonus it gets prorated over the life of the contract.

That is where the dead money comes from.

So unless they are waived and someone claims him ans picks up the entire contract it stays on our dead money.

Correct. DRC's deal was only a one year deal, but technically, they spread the cap hit out over two years by pro-rating a bonus over two years. He only counted for 2.9 million against the cap last year, not his 5 million dollar contract.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Then you should have put that explaintion at the bottom behind the *

Like all other *lovers do.

No I shouldnt of.

It was their update and I just copied and pasted it. I dont modify articles or updates I post to make it my own. We all post articles, updates (usually with links) and we dont modify them to what we think it should say. You just didnt read the post correctly and are hung up on the 11.8 mill when the whole damn point was we have more cap space than 9 other NFL teams.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Correct. DRC's deal was only a one year deal, but technically, they spread the cap hit out over two years by pro-rating a bonus over two years. He only counted for 2.9 million against the cap last year, not his 5 million dollar contract.

Actually it was a two year contract that voided after the last games on the first season. Therefore any prorated bouns money becomes dead money.

luckyseven
03-17-2014, 11:06 PM

Note where it say we have more cap space than NINE other teams.

No I shouldnt of.

It was their update and I just copied and pasted it. I dont modify articles or updates I post to make it my own. We all post articles, updates (usually with links) and we dont modify them to what we think it should say. You just didnt read the post correctly and are hung up on the 11.8 mill when the whole damn point was we have more cap space than 9 other NFL teams.

Your post was bogus because without qualifying the * it was wrong. We did not have more cap space than those nine teams. Perhaps FIVE. But certainly not nine.

DenBronx
03-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Note where it say we have more cap space than NINE other teams.

Your post was bogus because without qualifying the * it was wrong. We did not have more cap space than those nine teams. Perhaps FIVE. But certainly not nine.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You seriously still dont get it and have a comprehension disability on WHY 9 other teams have less room then us. If you look at where we are with OTC then subtract Sanders deal there ARE STILL 9 TEAMS WITH LESS CAP SPACE!

Before that deal we were 17th in cap space left. Elway said it himself, we had alot of cap room and people didnt realize it.

Good freakin grief dude.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 12:43 AM
No I shouldnt of.

But we do not, did not at the time.

When it was brought to you attention you got pissy.

You fell back on the asterisk as an excuse for posting a bogus number.

You posted it the other web site did not post it here therefore you are the responsible party.

Normally I enjoy your posts, but like the other poster saw an error, and gave you a chance to correct your post.

How about we start enjoying this place.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 12:48 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You seriously still dont get it and have a comprehension disability on WHY 9 other teams have less room then us. If you look at where we are with OTC then subtract Sanders deal there ARE STILL 9 TEAMS WITH LESS CAP SPACE!

Before that deal we were 17th in cap space left. Elway said it himself, we had alot of cap room and people didnt realize it.

Good freakin grief dude.

Here is the math.

We have 11 and change

Subtract the apx 5 million for sanders.

You get 6 and change.

Here are the teams with less than 7

I count 6 teams there. If you see 9

I suggest you have someone else check it out for you.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 12:54 AM
But we do not, did not at the time.

When it was brought to you attention you got pissy.

You fell back on the asterisk as an excuse for posting a bogus number.

You posted it the other web site did not post it here therefore you are the responsible party.

Normally I enjoy your posts, but like the other poster saw an error, and gave you a chance to correct your post.

How about we start enjoying this place.

I didnt originate the number. I didnt even make the post it was copied from NFL News & Updates which they gave the sources at the bottom of their post. You are the one who told me to modify their post. THEY put in the asterisk for a reason, yet you failed to understand why. Still at this very minute I am 100% convinced you are still clueless on the original context of the post. If I am coming accross as "pissy" it's because I feel like I am having to explain myself over and over again on a pointless issue. I gave you a clear direct answer when you asked your question.

I've been enjoying it since 2007. Posted with the same group 5 plus years before that.

Welcome to the boards class of 2014.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:03 AM
Here is the math.

We have 11 and change

Subtract the apx 5 million for sanders.

You get 6 and change.

Here are the teams with less than 7

I count 6 teams there. If you see 9

I suggest you have someone else check it out for you.

Nope wrong again. Go look at OTC and see how far up the list we are BEFORE the Sanders deal. We are 17th in cap space at $11,126,000. Subtract the Sanders deal and thats where NFLN got their figure which would bring us down to 9th! Sanders signed a 3 year 15 mill deal. He is going to get paid 6 mill in 2014 but some of that could be a signing bonus, so could be around 4 mill actually a cap hit. Also the Bears, Cowboys and other teams below us have also been spending since the last update on OTC, bringing their cap down even further too.

Feel free to deduct cap space from the Cowboys for contracts with Weeden and whoever else they signed or any other team.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Nope wrong again. Go look at OTC and see how far up the list we are BEFORE the Sanders deal. We are 17th in cap space at $11,126,000. Subtract the Sanders deal and thats where NFLN got their figure which would bring us down to 9th! Sanders signed a 3 year 15 mill deal. He is going to get paid 6 mill in 2014 but some of that could be a signing bonus, so could be around 4 mill actually a cap hit. Also the Bears, Cowboys and other teams below us have also been spending since the last update on OTC, bringing their cap down even further too.

Ok last post. On this.

Sme of us do not have the time to chase links in every post that is made.

Myself I try to post facts that I have checked and know to be accurate.

At the time of your post it was wrong.

Two of us did not jump on you we posted a statement. Of what was actual at that time.

I understand that other places have numbers all over the place and it will change by the minute. That is understood .

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:17 AM
If it was wrong or unfactual then you should probably call Mike Sullivan or NFL News in the morning and ask how they got those figures.

I did not come up with that figure. It was copied from them and their source was Mike Sullivan and John Elway as noted at the very bottom of the original post.

By the end of tomorrow all of these salaries are going to be even out on OTC and we will know exactlly where it is. THEY said we are 10th and that's all I had to go by.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 01:45 AM
These are the teams that originally had less cap room before we signed Sanders. After we signed Sanders there have been many deal that have happened around the league.

Patriots: Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman
Giants: DRC, Trindon Holiday, Quintin Demps, Walter Thurmon
Saints: Zach Strief
Chargers: Seji Ajirotutu
Arizona: Bryan McCann
Panthers: Jason Williams, Roman Harper
Dallas: Brandon Weeden
Redskins: Brandon Meriweather
Pitt: Guy Whimper

These were signings after Sanders from team that had less cap space. Plus that doesnt include any updates that were signed around the same time we signed Sanders from other teams. All of their cap space is going to drop too.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 11:51 AM
OTC finally has the Sanders deal added in and we landed 8th in cap space left at 7,621,000.

Sanders deal took only 4 mill from the 11 or so we already had. The differance between 8 all the way up to 11th or so is chump change.

So BOOM thats whats up.

VonDoom
03-18-2014, 12:22 PM
OTC finally has the Sanders deal added in and we landed 8th in cap space left at 7,621,000.

Sanders deal took only 4 mill from the 11 or so we already had. The differance between 8 all the way up to 11th or so is chump change.

So BOOM thats whats up.

Another nicely structured deal. I still don't seem them spending much of the $7.6 million that's left, considering we're going to need at least some of that for the draft. But what they've done so far this year has been amazing.

DenBronx
03-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Another nicely structured deal. I still don't seem them spending much of the $7.6 million that's left, considering we're going to need at least some of that for the draft. But what they've done so far this year has been amazing.

Agreed. It was very well structured and alot less that what we would have spent for Decker. I don't see them signing anyone else and just heading to the draft at this point. Should take about 5 mill ...maybe slightly less because we are at 31 if we stay put then we can roll whatever couple mill we have over next year.

DenBronx
03-19-2014, 09:21 AM
PFTs most recent article says we're 12th in total cap space left. That means 11 other teams have less cap room. Looking at where we are at we have done pretty well and are in great shape heading into the draft.

Denver Broncos: $7,642,337
Washington Redskins: $7,455,869
Carolina Panthers: $7,344,546
Dallas Cowboys: $7,162,442
Chicago Bears: $5,773,177
Kansas City Chiefs: $5,227,069
San Francisco 49ers: $3,726,835
New York Giants: $3,690,088
San Diego Chargers: $3,653,247
Detroit Lions: $2,204,330
Pittsburgh Steelers: $2,174,434
New Orleans Saints: $849,212

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/after-one-week-of-free-agency-a-team-by-team-look-at-cap-space-available/

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
PFTs most recent article says we're 12th in total cap space left. That means 11 other teams have less cap room. Looking at where we are at we have done pretty well and are in great shape heading into the draft.

Denver Broncos: $7,642,337
Washington Redskins: $7,455,869
Carolina Panthers: $7,344,546
Dallas Cowboys: $7,162,442
Chicago Bears: $5,773,177
Kansas City Chiefs: $5,227,069
San Francisco 49ers: $3,726,835
New York Giants: $3,690,088
San Diego Chargers: $3,653,247
Detroit Lions: $2,204,330
Pittsburgh Steelers: $2,174,434
New Orleans Saints: $849,212

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/after-one-week-of-free-agency-a-team-by-team-look-at-cap-space-available/

it also means that if John follows past practices we will hang with that much money to cover, replacement players for those that hit IR this coming season. unless some real bargain comes along FA period is done.

DenBronx
03-19-2014, 12:03 PM
The bargain players will be signed before camp starts.

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
The bargain players will be signed before camp starts.

They will have to cut some players to do so.

Unless John does something he has no done before go into the season with less than 10 mil in cap space.