PDA

View Full Version : Aquib Talib

Pages : [1] 2

Zweems56
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Woah.

Filed to ESPN: Denver has reached agreement on a 6-year, $57M deal that includes $26M gtd with former Patriots CB Aqib Talib, per sources.

BroncoWave
Wow.

MOtorboat
WTF did this come from?

NightTerror218
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Holy craps....

I said this out loud and wife asked what was wrong. I just said that came out of left field.

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 10:19 PM
This is way out of left field!

What in the hell is going on with DRC then?

DenBronx
Source or not true

Zweems56
WTF did this come from?

From nowhere. Completely out of nowhere.

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:20 PM
From nowhere. Completely out of nowhere.

No kidding.

MOtorboat
Source or not true

It's Schefter. Denver has signed him.

DenBronx
What in the heck does this even mean?

Im completely confused now.

Zweems56
Source or not true

Schefter.

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Source or not true

It's Schefter. Denver has signed him.

Good lawd thats alotta money!!

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Well Decker deffinitely is good as gone.

What does this mean for DRC or going after a pass rusher?

Our defense is going to be scary good!

Now just trade up for Mosley

ShaneFalco
we got rid of champ for this??????

NightTerror218
DRC might not have wanted when Elway was offering.

sneakers
What in the heck does this even mean?

Im completely confused now.

NO ONE KNOWS nOtHIN

chazoe60
No!!!!!!

I ******* hate that guy. No please no.

Instead of DRC or are we signing both?

sneakers
03-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Just keep Welker away from him

ShaneFalco
No!!!!!!

seriously.... i hope this is a prank. Getting rid of Champ for a NE patriot just makes me cringe.

VonDoom
I'm guessing DRC is gone. Maybe he wanted more than 10 mil per. That is a lot of coin on Talib

DenBronx

Stop just stop.

Champs well respected among us fans but we needed a change.

MOtorboat
No!!!!!!

Talib is a stud. And getting him from New England is gravy.

chazoe60
03-11-2014, 10:25 PM
I just don't like the guy.

Jsteve01
Talib, hasn't played a full season ever and is a freaking headcase. Would have much rather had Verner. Wonder if they had welker strongarm him lol

VonDoom

Stop just stop.

Champs well respected among us fans but we needed a change.

Really. Talib is much better than Champ at this point

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
No!!!!!!

Likely instead of DRC. Talib is more physical. I am fine with bringing him in. The money is crazy, but he likely won't see the back end of it

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I just read a report that DRC was negotiating a new deal with the Broncos tonight.

Something could have fell through or we have plans for both.

SoCalImport
03-11-2014, 10:28 PM

kind of a push between Talib and DRC though. I don't see us signing both.

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I just read a report that DRC was negotiating a new deal with the Broncos tonight.

Yes, Lombardi has been on that all night, said negotiations are still going on, but have not seen anything since Schefter's report of this.

I love this signing. I love Talib.

chazoe60
03-11-2014, 10:30 PM
If we did sign both plus add Ware with a healthy Chris Harris at Nickel and a healthy and unsuspended Von..................Holy shit!

CoachChaz

kind of a push between Talib and DRC though. I don't see us signing both.

Talib is more physical. Attitude and injuries aside, I'd prefer Talib

luckyseven
have not heard anyone even thinking this one.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
Wow. That came out of nowhere!

MOtorboat
BTW...
Dominique ‏@drc941 9m
Dizzam

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Welker and Talib on the same team now huh? Awkward!

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Official...

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 3m
The #Broncos have agreed to terms with UFA CB Aqib Talib on a six-year contract.

Dzone
Talib is a bronco according to wikipedia. Wow! Shocker!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqib_Talib

CoachChaz

Yes, Lombardi has been on that all night, said negotiations are still going on, but have not seen anything since Schefter's report of this.

I love this signing. I love Talib.

Crazy not to. Love his game

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
Guessing this means DRC is gone. Elway is incredible. Big win... massive improvement to the secondary and weakening our biggest rival at the same time. Win, win!

chazoe60
BTW...
Dominique ‏@drc941 9m
Dizzam
What does that mean?

Jsteve01
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Talib didn't day anything it was all Bellicheat. I love what Talib brings when healthy. Not sure why he doesn't get much run when people talk about shut down corners. He shut down Jimmy Graham and every number one he faced last year. He's also bigger than Ward and a willing run defender. i'm just scared of the big money we're throwing at guys with injury concerns

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
What does that mean?

I'm assuming. "Damn." I won't interpret that any more.

chazoe60
03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm assuming. "Damn." I won't interpret that any more.

I know that much. Is that DRC's actual twitter?

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I know that much. Is that DRC's actual twitter?

Yes. And Klis and Lindsay Jones have reported that DRC's offer from the Broncos has been pulled.

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Per Vic:

Broncos team sources tell me the team has withdrawn it's offer to DRC.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I wonder what his cap hit this year is then. He got more than Byrd. Hopefully it's backloaded with the dramatic cap increase expectations in years to come.

I just hope we can get a pass rusher (Ware/Allen) and/or DRC with the cap we have left.

Oh, and I like Talib. The Pats were not the same with him out of the lineup. I just hope that hip is OK.

ShaneFalco
03-11-2014, 10:39 PM
DRC will not be a Bronco next season
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m
Broncos team sources tell me the team has withdrawn it's offer to DRC.

What a shame. i really dislike talib.

Per Vic:

Looks as though we are all in on a pass rusher then.

MOtorboat
I wonder what his cap hit this year is then. He got more than Byrd. Hopefully it's backloaded with the dramatic cap increase expectations in years to come.

I just hope we can get a pass rusher (Ware/Allen) and/or DRC with the cap we have left.

Oh, and I like Talib. The Pats were not the same with him out of the lineup. I just hope that hip is OK.

Of course he got more than Byrd. He's a corner, not a safety.

Terrance Knighton ‏@MrKnighton2u 1m
Wow

gregbroncs
I liked DRC. But I think Talib is probably better. This still leaves us needing 1 CB though, right? I hope DRC works it out. That would be a scary secondary.

DenBronx
BTW...
Dominique ‏@drc941 9m
Dizzam

This either means he got a deal worth 9 mill or he is complaining about the Talib deal. I assume its the former.

We most likely signed Talib because talks stalled with DRC or simply wanted to get more physicall in the secondary.

Talib is deffinitely more physical.

By the way. We have shafted NE 2 years in a row now. WTE has got to be pulling his hair out...might be completely bald at this point...not sure.

But guess what.

SPLASH #2 !!!

Rick
They still think DRC as well. Still have change we can clear with Tammie and Dreisen.

dogfish
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
:barf:

million dollar body with not even a ten cent head. . . yea, he's exceptionally talented and a good fit. . . yes, it could work out great, i'm aware of it. . . dude is such an unstable loser, though-- i hope he doesn't bring a ****ing gun into our lockerroom. . . :coffee:

not to mention, he's been in the league seven years and hasn't made it through 16 games one stinkin' time. . . he's played 28 games out of 48 over the last three seasons. . .

can't believe we gave this loose screw six years. . . would have been so much happier with verner. . .

03-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Of course he got more than Byrd. He's a corner, not a safety.

Terrance Knighton ‏@MrKnighton2u 1m
Wow

I know corners are valued more, just surprised we valued Talib that much. I didn't see any info on Talib today except a Redskins rumor.

chazoe60
03-11-2014, 10:42 PM

million dollar body with not even a ten cent head. . . yea, he's exceptionally talented and a good fit. . . yes, it could work out great, i'm aware of it. . . dude is such an unstable loser, though-- i hope he doesn't bring a ****ing gun into our lockerroom. . . :coffee:

not to mention, he's been in the league seven years and hasn't made it through 16 games one stinkin' time. . . he's played 28 games out of 48 over the last three seasons. . .

can't believe we gave this loose screw six years. . . would have been so much happier with verner. . .
I'm feeling pretty much the same. I do not like Aqib Talib, sorry I just don't like the dude.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:43 PM

Agreed...but you can't force players to sign. I'm guessing Verner preferred Lovie

Slick
03-11-2014, 10:43 PM
DRC publicly contemplating retiring didn't help his cause in Denver.

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm feeling pretty much the same. I do not like Aqib Talib, sorry I just don't like the dude.

Like him or not, our defense NEEDS that kind of dude. Someone with an attitude who will go out and hit you in the mouth and rub it in the other team's face. I'm tired of seeing our soft defense get shredded in the passing game. Ward and Talib will fix that issue.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Like him or not, our defense NEEDS that kind of dude. Someone with an attitude who will go out and hit you in the mouth and rub it in the other team's face. I'm tired of seeing our soft defense get shredded in the passing game. Ward and Talib will fix that issue.

Amen.

chazoe60
03-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Well I'm glad we'll have that for the 6 games a season he'll play in. Maybe we'll get an entire half out of him if we make it to the AFCCG. :rolleyes:

ShaneFalco

yea if he makes it through an entire season once....

Jsteve01
Vontae Davis, big physical dude was still out there. I'll say it again. If Talib's head and body are right, he's a truly great player. If not then I can't believe we inked this deal. he's coming off a knee and that head of his is majorly suspect. I'm sure they did some pretty serious psych evals on the kid and had serious chats with harris

oh and eff the stupid packers for setting the jacked up scale with Shields this year.

03-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Vontae Davis, big physical dude was still out there. I'll say it again. If Talib's head and body are right, he's a truly great player. If not then I can't believe we inked this deal. he's coming off a knee and that head of his is majorly suspect. I'm sure they did some pretty serious psych evals on the kid and had serious chats with harris

oh and eff the stupid packers for setting the jacked up scale with Shields this year.

Vontae Davis re-signed with the Colts

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Davis re-signed with the Colts before the free agency period even started this afternoon.

topscribe
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
BTW...
Dominique ‏@drc941 9m
Dizzam
If this means DRC was offered $9M, he should have had the paper signed before
it hit the desk. Now, he has to pull up anchor and hope another team values him
even close to that.

MasterShake
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Unexpected but great news IMO! Let's get a pass rusher to help Von now.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:51 PM
How many of our corners made it through the whole season last year?

Pudge
He's good but I have a really hard liking him

Jsteve01
freaking packers....Carlos Rogers got cut today...anyone?

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
He's good but I have a really hard liking him

Him not being a Patriot automatically makes him about a thousand times more likable IMO.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I think we wait and see what 2nd level CB s are left. Word is, Rogers wants to go back to Washington

Jsteve01
03-11-2014, 10:54 PM
How many of our corners made it through the whole season last year? and how many of our corners that weren't future hall of famers were making close to 10 per? Talib has played seven seasons and never played ever game Coach. That's not the type of guy I ink to a huge deal. Injuries aren't just a recent deal he didn't even make double digit games in the two seasons previous to this one. I'm confused how you're concerned about Ware's injuries the past two years and not Talib who's been hurt some way or another for 7.

dogfish
03-11-2014, 10:57 PM

absolutely. . . of course, there were dudes available who do that, but don't shoot at or pistol whip people off the field, assault cab drivers, or incurr drrug suspensions. . .

aqib talib is a punk flavor clown (no idea what happened, but he's not the guy he was back on mania. . . either he's had some kind of breakdown, or he only posts here when he's smashed. . .)

Buff
03-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I think Talib brings some toughness that DRC didn't have... We lose a little bit of speed but obviously they felt like this was a net gain.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM
How many of our corners made it through the whole season last year? and how many of our corners that weren't future hall of famers were making close to 10 per? Talib has played seven seasons and never played ever game Coach. That's not the type of guy I ink to a huge deal. Injuries aren't just a recent deal he didn't even make double digit games in the two seasons previous to this one. I'm confused how you're concerned about Ware's injuries the past two years and not Talib who's been hurt some way or another for 7.

I said the same about Talib that I did with Ware. If healthy, I like it.

Dapper Dan
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM
His first name, Aqib, means "the last one" in the Arabic language. He was named so by his mother as he was the youngest of 4 children. His last name, Talib, means "student" in Arabic.

Jsteve01
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Verner signed a 4 year deal for 26 million.. wtf. I'm sorry but how the hell does a younger less often injured Verner sign for 6 per?

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Verner signed a 4 year deal for 26 million.. wtf

Probably preferred playing in Florida for Lovie.

Davii
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Done deal (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333245/article/aqib-talib-denver-broncos-agree-to-sixyear-deal). I assume this means no DRC.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
03-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Dizzam.

Slick
03-11-2014, 11:04 PM
absolutely. . . of course, there were dudes available who do that, but don't shoot at or pistol whip people off the field, assault cab drivers, or incurr drrug suspensions. . .

aqib talib is a punk flavor clown (no idea what happened, but he's not the guy he was back on mania. . . either he's had some kind of breakdown, or he only posts here when he's smashed. . .)

He's our punk flavor clown now.

From now on I will call him The Last One Student.

Dapper Dan
03-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Chris Harris ‏@ChrisHarrisJr 29m
I had to call my Fam Talib to see if it was real . Lol

Dapper Dan
03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 18m
The Broncos will introduce S T.J. Ward to the media at 12 p.m. Wednesday. CB Aqib Talib also will be introduced to media later in afternoon.

dogfish
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Agreed...but you can't force players to sign. I'm guessing Verner preferred Lovie

i do understand that, and you're not wrong. . . i have a hard time believing that we made him a serious offer, though. . . he's three years younger than talib, and he's a cali kid with no connections to florida as far as i know-- it's just not credible to me that he would take a four-year, 26.5 million deal (with 14 million guaranteed) over six years, 57 million (with 24 million guaranteed). . . no way he likes lovie ten million dollars more than fox and JDR. . . and if they like talib better, fine, but as far as i'm concerned there's simply no way to justify (at this time) 24 freaking million dollars to a guy who has serious red flags for health, attitude and a range of off-field problems. . . do we even know what stage of the substance abuse program he's in?

sorry, this just smells like pure desperation to me. . . all we can do is watch it play out-- not holdin' my breath, i don't trust the dude even a little. . .

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 11:15 PM

i do understand that, and you're not wrong. . . i have a hard time believing that we made him a serious offer, though. . . he's three years younger than talib, and he's a cali kid with no connections to florida as far as i know-- it's just not credible to me that he would take a four-year, 26.5 million deal (with 14 million guaranteed) over six years, 57 million (with 24 million guaranteed). . . no way he likes lovie ten million dollars more than fox and JDR. . . and if they like talib better, fine, but as far as i'm concerned there's simply no way to justify (at this time) 24 freaking million dollars to a guy who has serious red flags for health, attitude and a range of off-field problems. . . do we even know what stage of the substance abuse program he's in?

sorry, this just smells like pure desperation to me. . . all we can do is watch it play out-- not holdin' my breath, i don't trust the dude even a little. . .

You may be right. Maybe we had all our eggs in the DRC basket and saw it going nowhere while all the other CB's were signing, so we grabbed what we could. At the end of the day, it is what it is. The guy was an ass in the past, but I like him for 13 games more than I like DRC for 15.

This signing isn't about regular season

ShaneFalco
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
wait does talib have suspensions for smoking the ganja? he must be excited to come to denver.

Dapper Dan
03-11-2014, 11:35 PM
wait does talib have suspensions for smoking the ganja? he must be excited to come to denver.

I guess that would change your opinion of him.

TimHippo
03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I thought Welker wrecked his knee. Did Talib not need ACL surgery?

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 12:25 AM
I thought Welker wrecked his knee. Did Talib not need ACL surgery?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316472/article/report-aqib-talib-knee-has-no-structural-damage

Nick Underhill of MassLive.com wrote Tuesday that the cornerback suffered no structural damage to the knee and was "just banged up," according to a source.

Poet
03-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Denver got destroyed by physical secondary players in the SB and are simply executing the "if you can't beat'em, join'em," mentality. Your defense is not exactly known for it's aggression and physicality, and that's something that Denver needed, apparently. In order to get that at the corner position Denver had to dole out a long term deal to Talib. Apparently you guys are looking at Ware, which would be a very fine match. This is about a SB push and I'm not sure as to why you guys are so shocked at this?

Hawgdriver
03-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Talib is more physical. Attitude and injuries aside, I'd prefer Talib

It seems like a move that signals Denver wants a more physical secondary, which rocks. Hell, no one in Denver could stand Richard Sherman, but the fans in Seattle sure as hell enjoy their championship.

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 12:36 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1952834-why-the-new-england-patriots-absolutely-must-re-sign-aqib-talib

Dude is a real shut down corner back who (when healthy) holds his own against some pretty good rcvrs (Jimmy Graham was shut out completely). Is Talib the kind of CB we'd like to match up against Aquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, and Larry Fitzgerald?

I'm still hoping we land DRC but I don't see us getting either Jared Allen or Demarcus Ware if we resign DRC. I just hope Chris Harris gets healthy.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2014, 12:51 AM
So is Aquib related to Aqib? Hopefully they signed the right dude.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Insane. What the hell happened with the DRC negotiations?

Edit--notice Schefter speculating the Pats will go all out for Revis...

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 01:05 AM
https://twitter.com/viclombardi/status/443591178189934592

After Talib was locked, offers to DRC were withdrawn. Makes sense. Can't afford them both to fill CB positions.

CrazyHorse
03-12-2014, 01:08 AM

I hope he goes to the Browns or the Jets.

D1g1tal j1m
03-12-2014, 01:21 AM
DRC was signed to a one year "show me" deal after he imploded in Philly. Now he had a great regular season and up to the Superbowl, I was all in on signing him long term but then he goes and hints at retiring after the Superbowl??? There is something not quite right with DRC so I'm fine with letting DRC go and signing Talib away from the Pats.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 01:24 AM
If DRC signs elsewhere for less, was this the right move?

Pretty shocking. Just don't know if Talib is worth that.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 01:37 AM
Many forget, Chris Harris was playing like a #1 CB before he got hurt. Talks might have stalled with DRC and that forced Denvers hand to go with Talib, who is MORE PHYSICAL than DRC. Physicality is what we LACK as a defense. Ward, Talib and Ware all together with bring the toughness back to Denver. We need some damn attitude again.

Now, back to Harris. He was way more physical than DRC. Harris Jr, Talib and Ward together are going to bring some swagger to this secondary. Harris is better than just a nickle guy...he just is. So, slide in Carter or whoever else into the nickle because we have our #1 and #2 CBs in place. UNLESS a team trades us a 2nd rounder and sweeps Harris away. The Pats could pull off an ultimate dick move and do that. We do have a chance to match any offer but if a team offers more than what we are willing to pay then that would leave us scrambling to find his replacement.

Either way, I think the Broncos wernt as high on DRC as much as the fans were. I can see why too because of our lack of toughness on defense. Plus, DRC antics about retirement could have made the Broncos cautious. Like how bad do you want it??? We need guys not just physically tough but mentally tough.

dogfish
03-12-2014, 03:04 AM
You may be right. Maybe we had all our eggs in the DRC basket and saw it going nowhere while all the other CB's were signing, so we grabbed what we could.

this really is what it feels like to me. . . we should get a better idea when we see what DRC does sign for. . . if revis signs for four or five years with similar guaranteed money, i might break something. . .

obviously, i know all you can ever do is sit back and see what happens, love the moves or hate them. . . this absolutely could work out in a big way. . . i just don't think we played the smart odds. . . how did we have to pay MORE for the dude with the most issues? :noidea: he's not that much better than DRC and verner, certainly. . . if we'd paid him less because of the risk, i'd be a lot more okay with it. . . most guaranteed money ever for a corner, though? i just don't see it. . . that's where it looks like a panic move to me. . .

and as if the injury concerns and repeated off-field assaults and violent confrontations weren't more than enough risk, there's also this lovely little "nugget" to keep in mind. . .

Talib told teams at the combine that he had tested positive for marijuana 3 times at Kansas.

i got zero issue with a college kid smoking weed, but how dumb does he have to be to get caught three times? even then it would be a non-issue that i wouldn't have even mentioned-- if the knucklehead didn't just get suspended for using PEDs a frickin' year ago. . .

seriously, this is a guy they want to put in a locker room with von miller?

man, i hope he's worth it, and we don't get burned to a crisp by this move. . . and on that note, i agree that pretty much all our moves at this point will be judged on playoff success-- of course, talib is also the dude that's limped off the field in two consecutive AFCCGs. . .

Tned
03-12-2014, 03:49 AM

Just woke up to this news. While still half asleep, I'm thinking, "isn't that who Welker tried to 'intentionally' maime with the worst play Belicheck every saw???"

I doubt they will spend money on Talib and DRC, so this probably means DRC is gone, but I would love to see them both on the field, so I hope they manage to resign DRC as well. As we saw for years with Champ, having one elite corner doesn't cut it, and Talib is very good, but not at the level that Champ was most of his career.

Hawgdriver
03-12-2014, 03:54 AM
this really is what it feels like to me. . .

I'm trying . . . to find . . . enough ellipses . . . to convey my great angst at this move.

j/k man, I'm a bit toasted. Your points have merit. I applaud the boldness, but I'm really holding my breath on this one, too.

Ziggy
03-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Is Talib a knucklehead? Yes. He's is also the most physical corner that was available on the market. Our secondary went from a soft finesse secondary to a tough, physical secondary that will punch you in the mouth with Talib and Ward. It was a risky signing, but Elway has made this defense tougher and given them some swagger today. Now add Allen, Ware, or Peppers and this D goes from a soft defense to a nasty one overnight.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Is Talib a knucklehead? Yes. He's is also the most physical corner that was available on the market. Our secondary went from a soft finesse secondary to a tough, physical secondary that will punch you in the mouth with Talib and Ward. It was a risky signing, but Elway has made this defense tougher and given them some swagger today. Now add Allen, Ware, or Peppers and this D goes from a soft defense to a nasty one overnight.

I agree Ziggy. In just a few moves this defense becomes physical. I think this is what Del Rio has been wanting all along. Also, if we sign Ware then we get a leader on defense. With the departure of Champ we will need that.

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 05:52 AM
Talibs not on the same level as Champ was in his prime but as of now he is the most physical CB on the market.

At this point DRC is going to cost way too much. Which is why id LOVE to see Brandon Browner come here on a 1 year deal.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 07:22 AM
If you get Browner then I get Rolando McClain DB...

Zweems56
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Apparently Elway offered DRC a very similar offer and DRC waffled on it. Elway don't give a ****.

VonDoom
03-12-2014, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if DRC signs with the Pats at this point. They need a CB, and depending on how the Revis situation plays out, there aren't many top names left.

Dzone
03-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Lets hope Talib has learned his lesson and isnt going to get in more trouble. A high risk-high reward situation...Vic saying the offer to DRC is similar to the one signed by talib.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqib_Talib

Legal and conduct issues[edit]
Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[13] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[14] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[15] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[16] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[17] On June 18, 2012, the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[18]

Dzone
03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
DRC was asking for more $ than we paid Talib. Everyone is saying Denver overpaid for a guy who is hurt much of the time. But Patriot players are tweeting and ripping the team for letting Talib go. It does make things interesting, to say the least

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 09:11 AM
DRC was asking for more $ than we paid Talib. Everyone is saying Denver overpaid for a guy who is hurt much of the time. But Patriot players are tweeting and ripping the team for letting Talib go. It does make things interesting, to say the leastPlease post support for your claim that Patriots players are ripping the Pats for letting Talib go for that sized contract. I haven't seen any tweets or articles regarding Pats players ripping the team.

I am disappointed to see Talib leave the Pats, but have NO issue with the Patriots refusing to pay Talib that amount of money over that amount of time when he is injury prone and at risk of being suspended long term if he messes up again. I'm not the only one who thinks the Broncos overpaid for Talib:

But the general consensus late last night among the folks with the checkbooks in hand around the league is any player you sign on free agency’s first day is getting overpaid. Talib got more from the Broncos than many in the league expected he would from any team.

To put that into perspective in 2011 the Broncos signed Champ Bailey to a four-year, $42.5 million deal when Bailey already had been named to 11 Pro Bowls.
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5570/elway-bronco-air-it-out-in-free-agency

The Patriots will just pursue other DBs who won't break the bank, will probably offer much better value, and won't mortgage the future for the present.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Apparently Elway offered DRC a very similar offer and DRC waffled on it. Elway don't give a ****. Hadn't read that.

DRC sounded surprised in his brief Tweet about it (well, reading into 'dizzam, 9m'.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Please post support for your claim that Patriots players are ripping the Pats for letting Talib go for that sized contract. I haven't seen any tweets or articles regarding Pats players ripping the team.

I am disappointed to see Talib leave the Pats, but have NO issue with the Patriots refusing to pay Talib that amount of money over that amount of time when he is injury prone and at risk of being suspended long term if he messes up again. I'm not the only one who thinks the Broncos overpaid for Talib:

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5570/elway-bronco-air-it-out-in-free-agency

The Patriots will just pursue other DBs who won't break the bank, will probably offer much better value, and won't mortgage the future for the present.

You mad bro?

OB
03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Thats a LOT of money - I like the signing but the money seems a bit steep for someone who tends to be injury prone - I mean Welker wasnt even trying and is like the size of MO and he laid him out for the rest of the game

PS: Where are Pags and WTE - have they left the building :D

underrated29
03-12-2014, 09:22 AM
You mad bro?

That's what I love about pats fans......as soon as a player leaves they trash him...welker, talib, that rb that San Diego got last year.

Then they all say they'll get value elsewhere and better.

Their team blows. Ans is getting worse every year. All that keeps them relevant is Brady....3-4 more years and they'll be back to raiders status.

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
You mad bro?Nope, but I am disappointed. I had hoped the Patriots would retain him, but had no problems that they didn't when I saw the size and length of the contract.

Davii
03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Nope, but I am disappointed. I had hoped the Patriots would retain him, but had no problems that they didn't when I saw the size and length of the contract.

Uh huh... cool story bro, tell it again.

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
That's what I love about pats fans......as soon as a player leaves they trash him...welker, talib, that rb that San Diego got last year.

Their team blows. Ans is getting worse every year. All that keeps them relevant is Brady....3-4 more years and they'll be back to raiders status.I'm not trashing Talib at all. I loved having him on the Patriots and wanted to keep him. However, he has been injured a lot, including having to leave the last two AFCCGs. Moreover, from what I have heard he was a model citizen and great team player and leader for the Pats, but it is undisputed he has had issues in the past and is at risk of a long suspension if he gets into trouble again. As a result, I don't have a problem with the Patriots not giving him a contract for the length and amount of money the Broncos gave Talib.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM
He'll never see the full 6 years or the entire 57 mil

WTE
03-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Thats a LOT of money - I like the signing but the money seems a bit steep for someone who tends to be injury prone - I mean Welker wasnt even trying and is like the size of MO and he laid him out for the rest of the game

Pags and I are talking football in the Lounge and we both agree giving that kind of money to Talib is really stupid.

OB
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Pags and I are talking football in the Lounge and we both agree giving that kind of money to Talib is really stupid.

You're stupid :tongue:

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
That's what I love about pats fans......as soon as a player leaves they trash him...welker, talib, that rb that San Diego got last year.Please show me one post where I trashed Welker after he signed with the Broncos, Woodhead after he signed with the Chargers, or Talib. You can't because I didn't.

Then they all say they'll get value elsewhere and better.I didn't say the Patriots would get better in the secondary with a different FA signing. I said they would move onto other "who won't break the bank, will probably offer much better value, and won't mortgage the future for the present". Nowhere in there am I saying the player will be better, just a better value.

Their team blows. Ans is getting worse every year. All that keeps them relevant is Brady....3-4 more years and they'll be back to raiders status.You may not like the Patriots, but you can't say they blow because they have been consistently in the playoffs and AFCCG and have a strong chance to do so again. We will have to see whether the Patriots or Broncos are back to the raiders status in 3-4 years. I suspect it will be the Broncos and not the Patriots because the Broncos are going all in to try to win a SB with P. Manning while the Patriots are trying to build for the present and the future by refusing to overpay for players.

artie_dale
03-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Welker looked like he got the brunt of that hit so I was glad to see him get up. Talib's injury was basically he was banged up enough to not finish that one game (critical game). I personally believe Talib played just as big a part in winning some of the Pat's games this last season as Brady. Outside of his injury history, he's the real deal shut down corner who can play ANYWHERE on the field, not just the one side.

Dzone
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Please post support for your claim that Patriots players are ripping the Pats for letting Talib go for that sized contract. I haven't seen any tweets or articles regarding Pats players ripping the team.

104.3 interviewing that tony Mazzarratti dude from boston, the sports hub station. He said unless pats get Revis, people in NE are going to be really pissed. He said Talib is better than drc and before he was hurt, Talib was DPOY
Mazzarrati said he wishes Pats operated like the Broncos...he said people are frustrated in NE with the kraft organization...Brady singed for less money so Pats are telling other players to take less too, according to Mazzarati
Pats players tweeting frustration was from a radio show...

New England is old news. They wont be any good at all next year.
We got the Duke in Denver and we are going all out !

Pudge
03-12-2014, 09:52 AM
104.3 interviewing that tony Mazzarratti dude from boston, the sports hub station. He said unless pats get Revis, people in NE are going to be really pissed. He said Talib is better than drc and before he was hurt, Talib was DPOY
Mazzarrati said he wishes Pats operated like the Broncos...he said people are frustrated in NE with the kraft organization...Brady singed for less money so Pats are telling other players to take less too, according to Mazzarati

That's what we said last year and they still were the number two seed . They will be good again, I hope they aren't but it would be foolish to believe otherwise.

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
104.3 interviewing that tony Mazzarratti dude from boston, the sports hub station. He said unless pats get Revis, people in NE are going to be really pissed. He said Talib is better than drc and before he was hurt, Talib was DPOYI agree that when Talib is healthy and playing, he definitely is better than DRC. I just haven't seen Talib make it through ONE season in the NFL where he played ALL 16 games. A six-year, $57 million contract with $26 million guaranteed seems like a lot of money to spend on a CB who hasn't played a full season yet, but if he stays healthy for the entire regular season and playoffs, then spending that money on Talib instead of DRC will have made a lot more sense.

New England is old news. They wont be any good at all next year.We will have to revisit this quote during and after next season to see how prophetic you were.;)

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM

why do they hate each other? if they do, I side with Wes

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
awesome a great cb with an attitude and apparently injury prone. not that the last is much of a concern, as long as we can be better than .70 at 8 games and make the playoffs. Who knows, maybe I can get an AFCW championship tshirt to add to my collection

PatriotsGuy
03-12-2014, 10:02 AM

We got the Duke in Denver and we are going all out !

lol @ listening to Tony Massarotti

OB
03-12-2014, 10:03 AM
why do they hate each other? if they do, I side with Wes

Welker hit Talib (legally and legit) during the playoff game and Talib was out for the rest of the game and Billy boy Bellicheat was whining and crying about it for two weeks saying it was "the worst illegal hit he has ever seen in all the years he has been involved with football) funny thing is the NFL didnt agree (and neither did most people after watching the replay in slo mo)

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
You may not like the Patriots, but you can't say they blow because they have been consistently in the playoffs and AFCCG and have a strong chance to do so again. We will have to see whether the Patriots or Broncos are back to the raiders status in 3-4 years. I suspect it will be the Broncos and not the Patriots because the Broncos are going all in to try to win a SB with P. Manning while the Patriots are trying to build for the present and the future by refusing to overpay for players.

Yeah.. they aren't trying to win with Brady.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM

That's one perspective, the other is the Broncos just have a lot more cap space than the Patriots.

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Welker hit Talib (legally and legit) during the playoff game and Talib was out for the rest of the game and Billy boy Bellicheat was whining and crying about it for two weeks saying it was "the worst illegal hit he has ever seen in all the years he has been involved with football) funny thing is the NFL didnt agree (and neither did most people after watching the replay in slo mo)

oh that, ... the cheap shot thing. brother.

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah.. they aren't trying to win with Brady.Of course they are trying to win with Brady.:rolleyes:
I didn't say they weren't trying to win with Brady.:tsk: The Patriots are not trying to completely load up their team in order to try winning the SB this year or next year while potentially mortgaging their future.

WTE
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM
LOL. Donks fans can't even spell Aqib.

underrated29
03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Please show me one post where I trashed Welker after he signed with the Broncos, Woodhead after he signed with the Chargers, or Talib. You can't because I didn't.

I didn't say the Patriots would get better in the secondary with a different FA signing. I said they would move onto other "who won't break the bank, will probably offer much better value, and won't mortgage the future for the present". Nowhere in there am I saying the player will be better, just a better value.

You may not like the Patriots, but you can't say they blow because they have been consistently in the playoffs and AFCCG and have a strong chance to do so again. We will have to see whether the Patriots or Broncos are back to the raiders status in 3-4 years. I suspect it will be the Broncos and not the Patriots because the Broncos are going all in to try to win a SB with P. Manning while the Patriots are trying to build for the present and the future by refusing to overpay for players.

I said pats fans. Please show me where I said you. Who cares about value. Teams do not win with values you need talent to win. Your team does not have it.

You guys are in the same boat as us. In 3-4 years both manning and Brady will likely be retired. Both teams will be looking at their groomed player (oz and forgot his name- you took him in the 3rd..tall and cannon arm what's his name?) to take over for Brady and manning.....who knows if either will work out or we may have to draft a new qb.....what we do know is our team has more pieces built around it. More youth and more cap space..

topscribe
03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
LOL. Donks fans can't even spell Aqib.
That's okay. We'll eventually get it right.

Meanwhile, we have him, and you don't.

By the way, Welker says hello. :wave:

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Of course they are trying to win with Brady.:rolleyes:
I didn't say they weren't trying to win with Brady.:tsk: The Patriots are not trying to completely load up their team in order to try winning the SB this year or next year while potentially mortgaging their future.

I don't know that I'd call it "mortgaging the future". Over the next couple years, we'll have a ton of money coming off the books. Perhaps even more than we think, depending on how Talib is structured. At this time in 2 years, we could have a cap availability number around 40 million.

topscribe
03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Welker looked like he got the brunt of that hit so I was glad to see him get up. Talib's injury was basically he was banged up enough to not finish that one game (critical game). I personally believe Talib played just as big a part in winning some of the Pat's games this last season as Brady. Outside of his injury history, he's the real deal shut down corner who can play ANYWHERE on the field, not just the one side.
Talib is one of those rare CBs who can be put on an island with the opponent's
best receiver and shut him down. DRC was pretty good at that, but Talib is
better all around because of his ability against the run, much like Champ was
in his prime. The Broncos landed the best CB in the league, I believe. I saw
that in him last January before his untimely collision with Welker.

slim
03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Booooo

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I said pats fans. Please show me where I said you. Who cares about value. Teams do not win with values you need talent to win. Your team does not have it.Guess we will just have to see what happens this upcoming season.

You guys are in the same boat as us. In 3-4 years both manning and Brady will likely be retired. Both teams will be looking at their groomed player (oz and forgot his name- you took him in the 3rd..tall and cannon arm what's his name?) to take over for Brady and manning.....who knows if either will work out or we may have to draft a new qb.....what we do know is our team has more pieces built around it. More youth and more cap space.Denver had more cap space at the start of FA, but don't think they do any more and pretty sure they won't next off season because dip-shit murderer Hernandez's large cap hit comes off the books freeing up a lot of space. The Patriots have more youth than the Broncos. Last year the Pats ranked somewhere around 11th (25.88) in the NFL for average age while the Broncos ranked somewhere around 28th (26.75).http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-teams-ranked-by-average-age/

WTE
03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
By the way, Welker says hello. :wave:

Oh, that's nice of him. Tell Wes Pete Carroll says hello!

OB
03-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Booooo

Talib or the money? Or both?

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
it would pretty cool if we managed to get Sherman from the Hawks. that would be weird wouldn't it?

underrated29
03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Guess we will just have to see what happens this upcoming season.

Denver had more cap space at the start of FA, but don't think they do any more and pretty sure they won't next off season because dip-shit murderer Hernandez's large cap hit comes off the books freeing up a lot of space. The Patriots have more youth than the Broncos. Last year the Pats ranked somewhere around 11th (25.88) in the NFL for average age while the Broncos ranked somewhere around 28th (26.75).http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nfl-teams-ranked-by-average-age/

I read somewhere the yesterday that with the likely cap increase next year, And including the new contracts of ward and talib the broncos will be somewhere close to 40mil under the cap.....I think it was MHR that investigated all the salary numbers and what not...I didn't check for accuracy, but if it is- thatch great news for us.

Remember thoug, we had champ, mike Adams and Peyton....get rid of those guys and most of our team has between 1-3 years experience.....I don't know how old ward or talib are but in bet that number dips a lot for us this upcoming year....I had no idea you guys were that young....I know the receivers are (te too) but surprised the rest is.

broken12
03-12-2014, 10:55 AM
When u got a lock down you free up blitzers. .... sweet

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
If you get Browner then I get Rolando McClain DB...

I know McClains a head case but see what hes got. If he sucks then cut his ass in camp. He took a year or so off to get his head right and I can respect that. High risk...unknown reward.

Now, Browner is a high risk but his problems are drug test problems. Unlike McClain, Browner is actually proven on the field. So high risk...but high reward here. Thats the difference.

And I bet you were kidding about McClain. ;)

GEM
03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Ohhhhhh....dey mad! :laugh:

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Im still in shock from this Talib signing.

For one, no one saw this coming. Sort of like the Welker deal. It was just bam...in yo face!

But Welker was a bargain.
Talib doesnt seem like a bargain....but hopefully it pays off.

We must have a spy working at the Pats headquarters.

This seemed to piss Pat fans off again. Lol

Northman
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM

For one, no one saw this coming. Sort of like the Welker deal. It was just bam...in yo face!

McDaniels is a double agent.

GEM
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM

And they thought McDaniels was spying for NE....muhahahahahah! :heh:

:lol:

Hawgdriver
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Because his sense of the time value of money is inferior to yours and PAG's, and he'll spend it too quickly? :nerd:

DenBronx
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Ohhhhhh....dey mad! :laugh:

Dey so so so mad.

Now watch this Revis deal bottom out for em. lmbo

TXBRONC
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM
this really is what it feels like to me. . . we should get a better idea when we see what DRC does sign for. . . if revis signs for four or five years with similar guaranteed money, i might break something. . .

obviously, i know all you can ever do is sit back and see what happens, love the moves or hate them. . . this absolutely could work out in a big way. . . i just don't think we played the smart odds. . . how did we have to pay MORE for the dude with the most issues? :noidea: he's not that much better than DRC and verner, certainly. . . if we'd paid him less because of the risk, i'd be a lot more okay with it. . . most guaranteed money ever for a corner, though? i just don't see it. . . that's where it looks like a panic move to me. . .

and as if the injury concerns and repeated off-field assaults and violent confrontations weren't more than enough risk, there's also this lovely little "nugget" to keep in mind. . .

i got zero issue with a college kid smoking weed, but how dumb does he have to be to get caught three times? even then it would be a non-issue that i wouldn't have even mentioned-- if the knucklehead didn't just get suspended for using PEDs a frickin' year ago. . .

man, i hope he's worth it, and we don't get burned to a crisp by this move. . . and on that note, i agree that pretty much all our moves at this point will be judged on playoff success-- of course, talib is also the dude that's limped off the field in two consecutive AFCCGs. . .

He has checkered past to say the least so I'm leery about this move. There is no denying he's talented and as MO saying poking a stick in New England's eye is gravy.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
He has checkered past to say the least so I'm leery about this move. There is no denying he's talented and as MO saying poking a stick in New England's eye is gravy.

On the other hand...he hasn't been in trouble for a few years. My bigger concern is health, but there is no denying that when healthy...he was by far the best CB on the market this year.

Buff
03-12-2014, 11:33 AM

I have a feeling Elway was a little too eager to call DRC's agent's bluff.

slim
03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Talib or the money? Or both?

Both.

Northman
03-12-2014, 11:42 AM
I dont know, i dont think it was a panic move honestly. John knows what it takes to bring a championship to Denver and he's doing whatever it takes to make it happen. I too would of preferred Verner but im quite alright with Talib so as long as he can stay healthy but you can say that about any player on this team. I think right now its going to be what we can do about the pass rush. But so far, Talib and Ward make me extremely happy and i feel much better going into next year than previously.

WTE
03-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Both.

Very astute of you slim. Pags recently posted that Danny Amendola has completed more 16 game regular seasons than Talib.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
This is like listening to Cowboy fans talk about Ware. It starts out with "Jerry is an idiot. Why cut our best player?"...then turns into, "Ware is done, the Broncos can have him."

Similar responses from a lot of NE fans.

slim
03-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Very astute of you slim. Pags recently posted that Danny Amendola has completed more 16 game regular seasons than Talib.

I don't like the guy (on a personal level) and I don't understand giving a guy with a bad hip that much money. But I do trust John so I'm hopeful it will work out.

BroncoNut
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
this thread has gone from retarded to downright dumb

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
this thread has gone from retarded to downright dumb

You're retarded.

PatriotsGuy
03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
This is like listening to Cowboy fans talk about Ware. It starts out with "Jerry is an idiot. Why cut our best player?"...then turns into, "Ware is done, the Broncos can have him."

Similar responses from a lot of NE fans.

I would have liked for the Pats to re-sign him but the hip scared me.

WTE
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
I would have liked for the Pats to re-sign him but the hip scared me.

To me he was worth 2 yrs at 12 ml. That's it.

Hawgdriver
03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I have a feeling Elway was a little too eager to call DRC's agent's bluff.

Denver overpaid, but there is an argument that sometimes it is justified (though not good) to overpay. Like when you need to address a position, when you want to send a message to player's agents and other free agents (the message being "see, we good" or "poop or get off the can buddy"). Like when you get to weaken a rival, and when the certainty of a key acquisition allows more flexibility for optimal acquisitions during the remainder of FA.

Denver got its teeth kicked in by not following the new formula for NFL success--an adderall-using, mean, competitive, violence-inclined, physical defensive backfield, coupled with a front four that generates consistent pressure (partial sarcasm). They are taking a page from the Seattle blueprint and I'm all for it. DRC was injured too. We overpaid for Champ last year, looking back at the last deal. It's a reasonable signing but it hinges on Talib's health, and I can't defend any criticisms aimed at that risk factor. Just have to hold my breath that he plays each game in his contract--like you would every other key player.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
To me he was worth 2 yrs at 12 ml. That's it.

12 a year or 12 total? If the latter...you're nuts

topscribe
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Oh, that's nice of him. Tell Wes Pete Carroll says hello!

Oh, Wes knows about that. It happened in person a few weeks ago.

Oh, that's right, your Pats weren't there, were they?

26-16 sound about right?

WTE
03-12-2014, 12:11 PM
12 a year or 12 total? If the latter...you're nuts

12 total. If it's not his hammy acting up, it's his hip. But it's always something and that's all he's worth.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
12 total. If it's not his hammy acting up, it's his hip. But it's always something and that's all he's worth.

Insanity.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 12:18 PM
WTE's butthurt is palpable.

It's okay WTE, we'll let you keep a few of your players.

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Lol@pats fans. Watch, they will get revis for 14mil a season with 40mil gaurunteed and try to tell us its a better value.

PatriotsGuy
03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Lol@pats fans. Watch, they will get revis for 14mil a season with 40mil gaurunteed and try to tell us its a better value.

And then three of the top models in the country will all offer to sleep with me at the same time!

WTE
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Insanity.

Not really. You mentioned earlier Talib won't see anything close to that 6 yr 54 ml contract. But 26 ml is guaranteed. So he will get all of that 26 ml. That's inanity.

Here's something else. When Talib injured his hammy in the AFCCG against Baltimore 2 yrs ago there was talk around here that Talib had lackluster participation in workouts and in the weight room. It was felt his lack of participation contributed to his hammy issue and that pissed off BB and perhaps why he was only offered a 1 yr 5 contract last year.

Do you really think Talib's performance last year was worthy going from 5 ml guaranteed to 26 ml? No where close. Not for a guy w/ a bad hip, who when he returned from injury was not the same player then once again got knocked out of an AFCCG, this time by a diminutive WR.

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 12:25 PM
And then three of the top models in the country will all offer to sleep with me at the same time!

And right as they are getting naked they get a text and immediately leave for Denver....

Buff
03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Denver overpaid, but there is an argument that sometimes it is justified (though not good) to overpay. Like when you need to address a position, when you want to send a message to player's agents and other free agents (the message being "see, we good" or "poop or get off the can buddy"). Like when you get to weaken a rival, and when the certainty of a key acquisition allows more flexibility for optimal acquisitions during the remainder of FA.

Denver got its teeth kicked in by not following the new formula for NFL success--an adderall-using, mean, competitive, violence-inclined, physical defensive backfield, coupled with a front four that generates consistent pressure (partial sarcasm). They are taking a page from the Seattle blueprint and I'm all for it. DRC was injured too. We overpaid for Champ last year, looking back at the last deal. It's a reasonable signing but it hinges on Talib's health, and I can't defend any criticisms aimed at that risk factor. Just have to hold my breath that he plays each game in his contract--like you would every other key player.

Agree with everything you said. That's kind of the nature of the beast - everyone needs a strong DB and there are only so many to go around, so the market's been driven way up.

But I also think there was a slight macho factor at play here. Given how DRC was supposedly our #1 target up until yesterday, that indicates Elway was using Talib as leverage against DRC... DRC's agent probably called bullshit and Elway wanted to prove he wasn't bluffing. Given everything we know, that seems like how it went down.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Agree with everything you said. That's kind of the nature of the beast - everyone needs a strong DB and there are only so many to go around, so the market's been driven way up.

But I also think there was a slight macho factor at play here. Given how DRC was supposedly our #1 target up until yesterday, that indicates Elway was using Talib as leverage against DRC... DRC's agent probably called bullshit and Elway wanted to prove he wasn't bluffing. Given everything we know, that seems like how it went down.

That is quite possible Buff, it would also explain the knee-jerk reaction of the signing... "See if I am kidding you ********!"

Dzone
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
lol @ listening to Tony Massarotti
Is that how you spell his name? I take it he sucks. I dont know since I am not from Boston, but Tony isnt too happy with the Patriots right now

WTE
03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Is that how you spell his name? I take it he sucks. I dont know since I am not from Boston, but Tony isnt too happy with the Patriots right now

He's never happy with anything. Last year he kept on saying the Red Sox would eventually implode and really were not that good. He kept saying it up until the World Series then finally had to relinquish.

slim
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
That is quite possible Buff, it would also explain the knee-jerk reaction of the signing... "See if I am kidding you ********!"

This sounds right. I would guess they also learned a thing or two by letting Doom drag his feet. Like, if you don't want the offer, then get ******....we're moving on.

Buff
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Well the other reality is that everything has to happen quickly in free agency... So I don't know if it was a total knee-jerk reaction - we obviously had done some due diligence on Talib - but it seems like negotiations broke down and we moved on to plan B extremely quickly.

MNPatsFan
03-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Lol@pats fans. Watch, they will get revis for 14mil a season with 40mil gaurunteed and try to tell us its a better value.I sure hope not and I won't be one of those Pats fans. Revis has always struck me as a me player while Talib was from everything I heard a great team player and leader while with the Pats. I would have given Talib more than 12 million for two years, but I would have included a number of performance based escalators for staying healthy and productive, such as games started, percentage of defensive plays he was on field for, INTs, tackles, Passes Defended, etc.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
I sure hope not and I won't be one of those Pats fans. Revis has always struck me as a me player while Talib was from everything I heard a great team player and leader while with the Pats. I would have given Talib more than 12 million for two years, but I would have included a number of performance based escalators for staying healthy and productive, such as games started, percentage of defensive plays he was on field for, INTs, tackles, Passes Defended, etc.

Good call. Still interested to see how Denver broke down the deal

TXBRONC
03-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Their team blows. Ans is getting worse every year. All that keeps them relevant is Brady....3-4 more years and they'll be back to raiders status.

Danny Amendola says Hi. :wave:

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Good call. Still interested to see how Denver broke down the deal

Agreed. I suspect its probably more like 3 years 26mil in reality.

Buff
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I sure hope not and I won't be one of those Pats fans. Revis has always struck me as a me player while Talib was from everything I heard a great team player and leader while with the Pats. I would have given Talib more than 12 million for two years, but I would have included a number of performance based escalators for staying healthy and productive, such as games started, percentage of defensive plays he was on field for, INTs, tackles, Passes Defended, etc.

That sounds good in theory but top-tier guys won't take those deals because they don't have to.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Agreed. I suspect its probably more like 3 years 26mil in reality.

Oh, there is definitely some Monopoly money involved in that deal on the back end. I could totally see the 26 over 3 years

03-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Per Klis, Broncos contacted Welker to see if he was cool with the Talib signing and he gave a ringing endorsement.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 23m

Broncos called their slot receiver, Wes Welker, before engaging in serious negotiations Aqib Talib. Welker gave ringing endorsement.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 15h

Wes Welker takes out Talib. T.J. Ward takes out Gronkowski. Welker, Talib, Ward now Broncos. Payback for McD.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 25m

RT @Broncos: A pair of former Kansas Jayhawks, @ChrisHarrisJr & Aqib Talib, reunited in Denver. pic.twitter.com/5jChl6BAjY

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 3m

Talib on Welker: "I watched the play a thousand times and I can promise you, he didn't do it on purpose". Haha. Hoodie.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Talib press conference...

"I've watched Welker's play 1000 times, I can promise you...he didn't do it on purpose"

"Looking forward to playing with Harris. His recovery is going great"

" having a son and being in the New England locker room helped me mature and grow up"

"was surprised to have the opportunity to play in Denver"

"Glad I don't have to prepare to play DT anymore"

"I grew up pretending I was Champ Bailey"

slim
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
They were saying on the radio this morning that he turned into a bit of a leader in the NE locker room. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I hope he really has matured.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Also from press conference

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4m

Talib: "I just wanted to go somewhere where I felt wanted". Hoodie?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 18m

Elway on Talib: "We know how much we hated playing against him. ... He's going to add toughness to our secondary."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 41s

Aqib Talib said he hasn't had a hip injury since he was in Tampa. Said he had a quad injury last year, but Patriots misreported it as a hip.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 10m

Aqib Talib and DeMarcus Ware were on the same flight to Denver today. First class, of course.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Despite the crucifixion of the English language, I'm loving hearing Talib say all the right things.

"My fiancé get mad at me cuz I watch so much film. Something that Ronde Barber got me hooked on."..."I know I done some dumb thangs in the past, but I feel I'm a more growner man now"

OB
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Despite the crucifixion of the English language, I'm loving hearing Talib say all the right things.

"My fiancé get mad at me cuz I watch so much film. Something that Ronde Barber got me hooked on."..."I know I done some dumb thangs in the past, but I feel I'm a more growner man now"

Jesus H Christ PLEASE tell me thats not a real quote - PLEASE

Bosco
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
One thing is for sure. With Talib, Harris and Webster...we are going to playing a SHIT TON of press man coverage.

Love it.

WTE
03-12-2014, 03:46 PM

I'm gonna miss that.

CoachChaz
03-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Jesus H Christ PLEASE tell me thats not a real quote - PLEASE

I probably spelled it better than he said it

GEM
03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm gonna miss that.

You might not miss his quotes, but you're gonna miss him.

Runamok
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
I just don't like the guy.

This ^^^^^

Talib is a drive-by, waiting to happen.

slim
03-12-2014, 05:46 PM
This ^^^^^

Talib is a drive-by, waiting to happen.

I guess you didn't hear that he is a growner man.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 05:47 PM
It's about time we got some thugs back on defense.

:djwilliams:

Runamok
03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I guess you didn't hear that he is a growner man.

Haha. That was a "groaner, man"

WTE
03-12-2014, 05:58 PM
You might not miss his quotes, but you're gonna miss him.

It's the other way around. I'm going to miss the way he talks.

Runamok
03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
It's about time we got some thugs back on defense.

:djwilliams:

This will prove to be the worst signing of Elway's career.

26 mil guaratnteed for a guy who's best move is holding onto his man's jersey, hoping he doesn't get called for PI, is insane.

I'm sick about this.

underrated29
03-12-2014, 06:04 PM

haha yes I love it. And he was supposed to replace welker. He was injured for half the season and now they were even trying to trade him.....

Pats fans. They see the light at the end of the tunnel and its actually the shadows of mediocrity.

underrated29
03-12-2014, 06:05 PM

26 mil guaratnteed for a guy who's best move is holding onto his man's jersey, hoping he doesn't get called for PI, is insane.

I'm sick about this.

With ware and miller on defense..He wont have to hold. All he will have to do is give the wr one good press push and the QB will be down on the ground.

Timmy!
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm sick about this.

:lol:

WTE
03-12-2014, 06:08 PM
haha yes I love it. And he was supposed to replace welker. He was injured for half the season .

So was Talib.

tomjonesrocks
03-12-2014, 06:08 PM
This will prove to be the worst signing of Elway's career. 26 mil guaratnteed for a guy who's best move is holding onto his man's jersey, hoping he doesn't get called for PI, is insane. I'm sick about this.

While it's still a shock an expected resign of DRC took a hard turn to Talib on a dime -- that's not exactly an accurate description of his play.

Runamok
03-12-2014, 06:11 PM
With ware and miller on defense..He wont have to hold. All he will have to do is give the wr one good press push and the QB will be down on the ground.

You're assuming Von will be playing at this point, eh?

Runamok
03-12-2014, 06:12 PM
While it's still a shock an expected resign of DRC took a hard turn to Talib on a dime -- that's not exactly an accurate description of his play.

Eh, yeah. It is, pretty much.

WTE
03-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Belichick made Talib sit on the bench after this bit of poor sportsmanship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IggBU5PT1hk

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Pfft...Talib is a fine cornerback...

gregbroncs
03-12-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm sick about this.Seattle won a SB with 2 corners who use this trick just as much if not more.

Jsteve01
03-12-2014, 07:33 PM
wte the bitterness doesn't suit you very well...we prefer the pompous NE sports fan routine.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 07:35 PM
wte the bitterness doesn't suit you very well...we prefer the pompous NE sports fan routine.

The Darrelle Revis is the G.O.A.T. talk is already beginning. Never fear JSteve...

Bosco
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Seattle won a SB with 2 corners who use this trick just as much if not more.

No shit. They mug receivers worse than the Patriots corners did during their glory years.

WTE
03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
What a glorious day! You guys got the 7th best CB on the market (when healthy)

and New England got the best!

Bosco
03-12-2014, 07:49 PM

Our #2 corner is substantially better than yours...same with the pass rush.

That, in effect, pretty much closes the gap between Talib and Revis.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Revis is so great that his last two teams couldn't wait to get rid of him, the last after a single season.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

:pound:

According to who?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/05/the-free-agent-hot-100-3/

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

WTE
03-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Guys, remember when Aqib Talib beat up his taxi driver while the driver was behind the wheel? That's pretty funny.

I don't think Revis ever did that.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Guys, remember when Aqib Talib beat up his taxi driver while the driver was behind the wheel? That's pretty funny.

I don't think Revis ever did that.

Remember when you tried to claim he wasn't a thug?

WTE
03-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Remember when you tried to claim he wasn't a thug?

He's not a thug. He's just not very bright.

chazoe60
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Do you remember when the Broncos won the AFCCG?

WTE
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Do you remember when the Broncos won the AFCCG?

I think I do. Is that the game where your diminutive WR knocked our oft injured, pot smoking, Taxi driver beating, NFL Rookie Symposium fighting, gun shooting CB out of the game?

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I think I do. Is that the game where your diminutive WR knocked our oft injured, pot smoking, Taxi driver beating, NFL Rookie Symposium fighting, gun shooting CB out of the game?

Yes. The legal hit which you once claimed lost the game for the Patriots.

This is so lame, your little tirade.

WTE
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes. The legal hit which you once claimed lost the game for the Patriots.

This is so lame, your little tirade.

Proves Talib is soft. He will never complete 16 game regular season for you guys. Put that in the bank.

topscribe
03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Is that your excuse? Where did we get that diminutive WR, by the way?

I do remember that Denver was missing 5 defensive starters in the game . . .

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 08:35 PM
LULZ...now Talib is soft...good stuff WTE. Good stuff.

Bosco
03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Proves Talib is soft. He will never complete 16 game regular season for you guys. Put that in the bank.

As someone who traces his roots to Boston, please stop.

You're embarrassing that entire region.

dogfish
03-12-2014, 08:42 PM
lol @ you guys slurping up the obvious trolling. . .

topscribe
03-12-2014, 08:45 PM
lol @ you guys slurping up the obvious trolling. . .
Well, for me it's been fun.

It will be my third straight post he hasn't answered the issue . . . :lol:

Jsteve01
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM
and damn fine trolling it was

Runamok
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Revis is so great that his last two teams couldn't wait to get rid of him, the last after a single season.

I hate that your comments force me to sound like I'm defending another NE coup, but that was strictly a cap issue for a couple of teams going nowhere.

The Patsy guy is right. NE charmed the best corner in football to take short money on a team-friendly one-year deal while the Broncos lost consciousness, hyperventilating over the opportunity to sign a Bloods thug to a six year deal!

Fox got out-foxed.

MOtorboat
03-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I hate that your comments force me to sound like I'm defending another NE coup, but that was strictly a cap issue for a couple of teams going nowhere.

The Patsy guy is right. NE charmed the best corner in football to take short money on a team-friendly one-year deal while the Broncos lost consciousness, hyperventilating over the opportunity to sign a Bloods thug to a six year deal!

Fox got out-foxed.

Fox didn't have anything to do with it, and the Broncos got the cheaper deal, so meh.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Thread tl;dr: I am happier than WTE.

That is the measure.

underrated29
03-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Cool. The pats signed revis.....so what does that mean to us? We might actually have to punt. Cuz ya know, revis can play entire defense on his own.....and we didn't punt in the playoff game against them.

But hey talib was hurt...he played but was hurt...our Harris was out on ir but revis will solve all of that. .he will catch passes form Brady too. Cuz gronks soft ass still will find a way to get hurt.

DenBronx
03-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Former Jayhawks Chris Harris Jr and Aqib Talib re-united.

TXBRONC
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM

I'm sick about this.

Richard Sherman hell for that matter the entire Seahawks secondary holds all the time.

TXBRONC
03-13-2014, 11:03 AM
haha yes I love it. And he was supposed to replace welker. He was injured for half the season and now they were even trying to trade him.....

Pats fans. They see the light at the end of the tunnel and its actually the shadows of mediocrity.

I wonder how long it will take Revis to say he's underpaid? :ponder:

TXBRONC
03-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Peaches and Herb endorse this post.

Ravage!!!
03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I wonder how long it will take Revis to say he's underpaid? :ponder:

well, what time is it now?

Ravage!!!
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM

would have been cool to add Sproles to that mix.

artie_dale
03-13-2014, 11:08 AM

I'm sick about this.

These last few years, the best CBs are the ones who have gotten away with grabbing a rcvr's hip here and there throughout the route. Richard Sherman has mastered it, and so has Revis & Talib. They train to do it and bank on the idea that the ref might call a hold or pass interference every once and a while, but not every time... so they do it every time, they just are really good at not making it obvious. Its the last thing these guys have to hold on to in order to stop or hold up offenses. They aren't grabbing jerseys anymore or wrapping their arms around players like they used to. Just little grabs and nudges here and there is all they need, because their athletic ability takes care of the rest.

I love this addition, especially now that I know how bad Belichick wanted him back.

Runamok
03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Richard Sherman hell for that matter the entire Seahawks secondary holds all the time.

They all do, to some extent. It's today's game.

But nobody relies on it as much as Talib. His game is bump-and-grab jersey.