PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gibbs out, Broncos hire new offensive line assistant coach

GEM
03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25320778/broncos-james-cregg-coach-offensive-line-alex-gibbs?source=pkg

NFL free agency has opened and sure enough the Broncos made two additions. To their coaching staff.

The Broncos hired James Cregg to be their assistant offensive line coach and Bo Hardegree as their offensive quality control coach. Dave Magazu remains the lead offensive line coach.

Veteran offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, who served as an offensive line consultant with the Broncos last season, will not return.

Read more: Broncos hire James Cregg as offensive line assistant, Alex Gibbs out - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25320778/broncos-james-cregg-coach-offensive-line-alex-gibbs#ixzz2vgnUavwN
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Northman
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Interesting.

OB
03-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Hmmm - other than the SB I thought our line (even with injuries) did a pretty decent job this year - could it be chemistry?

I mean you cant have the top ranked record shattering offense without a decent line - am i right?

Dzone
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Was it Gibbs decision to leave? I guess we will find out, esp if he joins Mccoy in sd

GEM
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure, it doesn't specify in the article.

slim
03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Gibbs doesn't seem to stay in one place for long.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Alex Gibbs is a huge flake, he's more flaky than a leper colony.

Jsteve01
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
very abrasive personality and Magz is one of the better o line coaches in the league. I'm sure Dave had had enough of him after say a week

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Gibbs' forte has and always will be the Zone Blocking Scheme, it's what he's most famous for. Coach Magz is better known for man-to-man, that had to be awkward, I wonder if they felt that trying to continue with a hybrid scheme was too much? It helped Moreno IMHO, I've long said he needed to be in a ZBS system to be successful and McDaniels also had a hybrid scheme his first season when Moreno looked promising. I wonder if this is pointing to more of a power front due to Vasquez and Franklin and the loss of Beadles as well as pointing to more of a power running game offensively?

Touchdown Denver
03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Hmmm - other than the SB I thought our line (even with injuries) did a pretty decent job this year - could it be chemistry?

I mean you can't have the top ranked record shattering offense without a decent line - am I right?

Actually we did worse. It was the line's fault Peyton Manning got hurt, then aggravated his injury, and lost fumbles. He was sacked a lot more last year than any year at Indianapolis.

artie_dale
03-14-2014, 02:13 PM

I mean you cant have the top ranked record shattering offense without a decent line - am i right?

I hear ya... but the difference in that game was a combination of the DBs bumping our rcvrs while the DL rush our line and getting through really well. It forced Peyton to both rush/hurry and force passes. Highly effective. So, maybe a better scheme is the goal in this move, because if our OL can maintain for just a an extra second or two longer, our rcvrs should be able to get away from good DBs if given the time.