PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Andre Caldwell to two year contract

Tned
03-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Broncos press release:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Tuesday agreed to terms with wide receiver Andre Caldwell on a new two-year contract, Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway announced.

Caldwell, who will enter his seventh NFL season in 2014, has played in 24 regular-season games (2 starts) for the Broncos during the last two years, totaling 17 receptions for 218 yards (12.8 avg.) with three touchdowns.
He combined to catch 11 passes for 113 yards (10.3 avg.) with two touchdowns during Denver’s final three games in 2013 before seeing action in all three playoff contests for the club.

In six NFL seasons, including his first four with Cincinnati, Caldwell has appeared in 75 regular-season games (16 starts) and tallied 141 catches for 1,390 yards (9.9 avg.) with nine touchdowns. He has seen action in four career postseason games (1 start) and owns four receptions for 51 yards (12.8 avg.) in those contests.

Selected by the Bengals in the third round (97th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft from the University of Florida, Caldwell caught a career-high 51 passes for 432 yards (8.5 avg.) with three touchdowns for Cincinnati in 2009.

jhildebrand
03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Bye Bye Decker

:wave:

nevcraw
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
gives them depth nothing else. I'm starting to think they go WR in draft and keep the $$ for D upgrades and maybe guard. no Tate either I guess.

tomjonesrocks
03-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Unexciting news. Caldwell is just a guy IMO.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Bye Bye Decker

You think THIS is the replacement for Decker????? FRAK I hope not. This guy sucks. Caldwell probably would have been signed, Decker or no Decker, as he's purely a 4th WR option that is good for keeping the bench dry on a rainy day.

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Caldwell doesn't suck. Is he a #1 or #2 guy? No. But he will be just fine as the #4 guy behind Wes/DT/new guy. I like this signing. I'd rather keep someone that has a rapport with Manning than bring in a guy of similar skills who doesn't.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Caldwell doesn't suck. Is he a #1 or #2 guy? No. But he will be just fine as the #4 guy behind Wes/DT/new guy. I like this signing. I'd rather keep someone that has a rapport with Manning than bring in a guy of similar skills who doesn't.

You may not think he sucks, but he's a #4 on any roster. That doesn't spell out "excells" for me, in the least. As far as findign guy that have worked with Manning, that pretty much limits the list of available WRs. I hope we don't rely on that critieria to find a replacement for Decker. Considering how much time Caldwell actually spent on the field, I'm not sure he even fits that qualification.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
He knows the system and played well when he was needed to start. He'll be the #4 guy for a cheap price. End story.

topscribe
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Unexciting news. Caldwell is just a guy IMO.
Just a guy with blazing speed. One thing he can do is to take a DB out of the box,
which can aid in opening up the running game. Bubba made some good plays last
year on a limited basis. Maybe he will have a little bit better opportunity to show
what he's got.

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 03:27 PM
You may not think he sucks, but he's a #4 on any roster. That doesn't spell out "excells" for me, in the least. As far as findign guy that have worked with Manning, that pretty much limits the list of available WRs. I hope we don't rely on that critieria to find a replacement for Decker. Considering how much time Caldwell actually spent on the field, I'm not sure he even fits that qualification.

I'm not suggesting he replace Decker. He was always solid when was on the field this year. As a number 4 WR, which is his role, I completely disagree that he "sucks".

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Honestly, with DT, JT, and Welker on the roster, that's all we really need him to be. He's definitely faster than Decker and probably trips over his own feet less. I think Caldwell could have a big year lining up with the aforementioned 3. He'll definitely get single coverage and the lesser of the CBs on any opponents' defense. Is he a world beater? No, but neither was Decker. Decker benefitted a lot from the talent around him, the scheme, and who was throwing him the football the past 2 years.

Northman
03-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Decker benefitted a lot from the talent around him, the scheme, and who was throwing him the football the past 2 years.

I never understood this weak ass point of view.

Every receiver on this team benefits from having Manning throwing them the ball. lol

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I never understood this weak ass point of view.

Every receiver on this team benefits from having Manning throwing them the ball. lol

No doubt, but if there was a guy who was going to get doubled, it wasn't Decker - pretty much ever. We'll see how he does elsewhere or we'll see what other teams think of him if he re-signs with Denver. They were just discussing him on NFLN. He's a complimentary player. He's not a #1 - anywhere. He wouldn't even be #1 in New England with their bunch of no-names.

Northman
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
No doubt, but if there was a guy who was going to get doubled, it wasn't Decker - pretty much ever. We'll see how he does elsewhere or we'll see what other teams think of him if he re-signs with Denver. They were just discussing him on NFLN. He's a complimentary player. He's not a #1 - anywhere. He wouldn't even be #1 in New England with their bunch of no-names.

NO one said he was a #1. But to try and say that Caldwell is of the same calibur is beyond ridiculous.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Honestly, with DT, JT, and Welker on the roster, that's all we really need him to be. He's definitely faster than Decker and probably trips over his own feet less. I think Caldwell could have a big year lining up with the aforementioned 3. He'll definitely get single coverage and the lesser of the CBs on any opponents' defense. Is he a world beater? No, but neither was Decker. Decker benefitted a lot from the talent around him, the scheme, and who was throwing him the football the past 2 years.

Decker is WORLDs better than Caldwell, and I would bet a month's salary that Caldwell doesn't have a big year. He won't see the field any more than he did this year,because there is no WAY that the Broncos rely on Caldwell to man the Z. Caldwell is barely a body to fill a 4th spot on the roster. LIke you said, he'll get sngle coverage and that will result in more bodies being able to cover DT and Welker. Hell, they might even leave Caldwell alone.

Like North said, how can we try and take away from Decker's "benefitting" from Manning when every player/wr on this team benefitted. Decker performed well with Orton, and Tebow.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM

What's him being a #1 have to do with it? He's one of the very best #2 in the NFL. Caldwell barely fills the #4. Decker would be the best WR on the NE roster, easily.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
We saw games where the defense tried to take that approach of "doubling" DT and Welker and leave Decker by himself. Decker ate their lunch. It was because of having a #2 like Decker that allowed this offense to thrive to record setting proportions. Caldwell doesn't bring that threat to the table.

topscribe
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
What's him being a #1 have to do with it? He's one of the very best #2 in the NFL. Caldwell barely fills the #4. Decker would be the best WR on the NE roster, easily.
I wouldn't say Caldwell barely fills #4. He did have some good plays last year, and
he had 200 receiving yards and 3 TDs in filling in for Welker . . .

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't say Caldwell barely fills #4. He did have some good plays last year, and
he had 200 receiving yards and 3 TDs in filling in for Welker . . .

I don't get Rav's problem here. Caldwell isn't a world beater, but no one is saying he is.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't get Rav's problem here. Caldwell isn't a world beater, but no one is saying he is.

The discussion started when someone posted "goodbye Decker" in response to Caldwell being signed. That then moved forward with Horse56 saying that Caldwell would have a big year as a replacement for Decker.

200 yrds. I say that "barely" fits a #4 because I can think of a LOT of WRs in the NFL that could fit that #4 spot and have the same production of Caldwell. He fits the space, but nothing more than that. Not like we can say "he's the best #4 in the NFL" or anything. He barely fills the #4 spot, and is a body to put on the roster. Nothing more, nothing less.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
The discussion started when someone posted "goodbye Decker" in response to Caldwell being signed. That then moved forward with Horse56 saying that Caldwell would have a big year as a replacement for Decker.

200 yrds. I say that "barely" fits a #4 because I can think of a LOT of WRs in the NFL that could fit that #4 spot and have the same production of Caldwell. He fits the space, but nothing more than that. Not like we can say "he's the best #4 in the NFL" or anything. He barely fills the #4 spot, and is a body to put on the roster. Nothing more, nothing less.

In Caldwell's defense...how much time is a player expected to get when the likes of Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker are in front of him? I'm not making a comparison, but if you put Decker on a team with Megatron, Fitzgerald, Graham and Green...his numbers would be similar to Caldwell's.

All anyone can go on is what he did when he got the opportunities and he actually did well. If he was a complete waste...why spend the money to keep him on board?

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
In Caldwell's defense...how much time is a player expected to get when the likes of Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker are in front of him? I'm not making a comparison, but if you put Decker on a team with Megatron, Fitzgerald, Graham and Green...his numbers would be similar to Caldwell's.

All anyone can go on is what he did when he got the opportunities and he actually did well. If he was a complete waste...why spend the money to keep him on board?

I agree, a #4 isn't going to get that many balls...even in an offense that throws as heavily as we did last season. But that's my point, really. He's not exactly a "gotta" have guy, and he's not the guy that going to come in and fill in for Decker. He's depth, and depth is always good to have....which is why sign him.

I personally don't see anything in Caldwell. I think he is about as average of a WR as there is in the NFL, meaning I think nearly ANY WR could fill his role on the team and do as well. Doesn't mean teams don't need guys like him to fill the roster, but I find him to be as special as a 1 dollar bill.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I agree, a #4 isn't going to get that many balls...even in an offense that throws as heavily as we did last season. But that's my point, really. He's not exactly a "gotta" have guy, and he's not the guy that going to come in and fill in for Decker. He's depth, and depth is always good to have....which is why sign him.

I personally don't see anything in Caldwell. I think he is about as average of a WR as there is in the NFL, meaning I think nearly ANY WR could fill his role on the team and do as well. Doesn't mean teams don't need guys like him to fill the roster, but I find him to be as special as a 1 dollar bill.

No...but for the price, it's hard to complain. if he performs when needed like last year...it's a cheap insurance policy

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 04:28 PM

But given the choice between a bunch of average WRs, wouldn't you rather have the one who is already used to Manning's offense?

Ravage!!!
03-11-2014, 04:36 PM
But given the choice between a bunch of average WRs, wouldn't you rather have the one who is already used to Manning's offense?

Eh.. that doesn't mean much to me, really. Our TE didn't have much time with Manning. Decker and DT performed well their first year with Manning. Welker performed well with Manning last year.

BroncoWave
03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Eh.. that doesn't mean much to me, really. Our TE didn't have much time with Manning. Decker and DT performed well their first year with Manning. Welker performed well with Manning last year.

If anything, the less time Manning has to spend getting a new WR up to speed, the more time he can devote to other things.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Let's be honest.

Caldwell is probably the last option outside the first three WRs, JT (and maybe even Tamme), and RB (Knowmo last year, we will see this year)

Good solid signing for familiarity with PFM/Brock and depth.

luckyseven
03-11-2014, 10:14 PM

pretty sure that is what he said.

sounds like you have a reason for not liking him

luckyseven
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM

I think John has a better feel that most fans do. it was not a bank buster and cheap insurance.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2014, 12:25 AM
LMAO at the freakfest of Cladwell replacing Decker.

Denver has 2 of the more explosive WR's in the NFL, and arguably one of the best receiving options with the 2 Thomas's. If ya'll don't think Denver could fit a guy like Caldwell in with the 2 Thomas's, Welker, and any other body they get via free agency/draft, then we're being absolutely fooled but 10-15 other teams in the NFL that are producing great without our WR core, or Peyton Manning.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I get that Caldwell is a security signing, but he's not all that impressive when he is on the field and he'll not replace Decker as so many readily believe. We're talking about the same receiver that has been given the opportunity to be a starter in Cincinnati and he underperformed and if he was capable here, then could have easily been more effective when he was given a shot and yet, he still underperforms. Maybe Manning can coach him up, but all in all this was a depth/security move and with how free agency is playing out, Denver will likely be taking a receiver to replace Decker high in the draft.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I get that Caldwell is a security signing, but he's not all that impressive when he is on the field and he'll not replace Decker as so many readily believe. We're talking about the same receiver that has been given the opportunity to be a starter in Cincinnati and he underperformed and if he was capable here, then could have easily been more effective when he was given a shot and yet, he still underperforms. Maybe Manning can coach him up, but all in all this was a depth/security move and with how free agency is playing out, Denver will likely be taking a receiver to replace Decker high in the draft.

I just don't get it. If Denver can't make a SuperBowl run with an improved defense that is arguably top 5 like it was 2 years ago and more physical, along with Peyton Manning, Welker, the 2 Thomas's, Caldwell, and whomever, then this organization is in serious, serious, trouble when they move on from Manning.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I just don't get it. If Denver can't make a SuperBowl run with an improved defense that is arguably top 5 like it was 2 years ago and more physical, along with Peyton Manning, Welker, the 2 Thomas's, Caldwell, and whomever, then this organization is in serious, serious, trouble when they move on from Manning.

Not everyone can be what you want them to be simply by clicking your heels and demanding such. I am not saying that we can not go anywhere without, I am simply stating that Caldwell isn't that damn good so don't count on him being anything but fodder for the next two years. The fact that the Broncos are looking at Brandon LaFell says just as much, he can at least be productive.

TXBRONC
03-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Bye Bye Decker

I don't think this has anything to do with Decker my friend. Caldwell is a 5th option receiver.

TXBRONC
03-12-2014, 12:43 PM

I've heard this draft is deep at wide receiver. Caldwell is not a 4th option he's a 5th option. Those who say he's a 4th optionare basically saying he's a starter in this offense and that's faulty thinking. Would he put up better numbers playing with Manning on full time basis? Sure. Would he put number similar to J. Thomas who was the forth option last year? I doubt it.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Just out of curiousity - where do you guys think our offense would be this year if we went into the season with Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Caldwell, and then a bunch of scrub no name fill ins that would never play barring injury?

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Just out of curiousity - where do you guys think our offense would be this year if we went into the season with Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Caldwell, and then a bunch of scrub no name fill ins that would never play barring injury?

Manning is always going to have a good offense. But Caldwell's talent allows teams to double up on DT and keep faster corners in on Welker. So the offense isn't nearly as good, because Decker provided a serious #2 problem that most teams don't have. It will always be a good offense with Manning, but not NEARLY as good with only Caldwell as the Z.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
pretty sure that is what he said.

sounds like you have a reason for not liking him

Sounds to me like you are wrong. I'm just not looking at it with closed "yay we signed a guy that was here before" eyes.

Bosco
03-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Caldwell showed last year that he could be productive in this offense when given a chance. He'll be a solid #3 for a year or two.

Northman
03-12-2014, 04:17 PM

I think we would be fine, especially with the additions on defense so far. But, one thing that doesnt get talked about much is Decker's ability to stay healthy and in the lineup. Honestly, Welker is fine when he's healthy but the last few years have not been kind to him throughout a season so if he goes down (or even DT) than what is left? Do we really think that Caldwell can pick up that kind of slack? No way. If Denver stays healthy than having Decker walk is great. But i personally would rather go in with DT/Decker who have more chemistry with Manning as well as their youth to work with Oz afterwards. The only reason why im ok with Decker walking at this point in time is because we actually got some impact defensive players to where the pressure wont be on the offense as much as it was last year. Again though, barring injury.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Caldwell showed last year that he could be productive in this offense when given a chance. He'll be a solid #3 for a year or two.

He's not a solid #3 at all, and will be replaced either by FA this year, or via the draft this year.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2014, 04:37 PM
I think we would be fine, especially with the additions on defense so far. But, one thing that doesnt get talked about much is Decker's ability to stay healthy and in the lineup. Honestly, Welker is fine when he's healthy but the last few years have not been kind to him throughout a season so if he goes down (or even DT) than what is left? Do we really think that Caldwell can pick up that kind of slack? No way. If Denver stays healthy than having Decker walk is great. But i personally would rather go in with DT/Decker who have more chemistry with Manning as well as their youth to work with Oz afterwards. The only reason why im ok with Decker walking at this point in time is because we actually got some impact defensive players to where the pressure wont be on the offense as much as it was last year. Again though, barring injury.

I was mor thinking for AM (after Manning) for the need of Decker more than anything else. We know Welker will be one to be leaving very soon, and Manning will be leaving. Having a DT and Decker for ANY young QB we have come in wwould be HUGE in keeping this offense viable.

Bosco
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM
He's not a solid #3 at all, and will be replaced either by FA this year, or via the draft this year.

The film says otherwise. He filled in for Welker with little drop off in production.

Lancane
03-12-2014, 08:09 PM
The film says otherwise. He filled in for Welker with little drop off in production.

How about John Elway confirms otherwise? I think that is an end to the argument. Elway told the Post after signing Ware that they are still looking to add a veteran receiver to replace Decker, LaFell is their top choice. They are also looking at available guards and centers to bolster the line and were interested in Beason before he re-signed with New York. So the Broncos are not done in Free Agency and if they felt Caldwell was a solid number two or three, well then he wouldn't be looking for that receiver still as we speak.

Bosco
03-12-2014, 08:19 PM
How about John Elway confirms otherwise? I think that is an end to the argument. Elway told the Post after signing Ware that they are still looking to add a veteran receiver to replace Decker, LaFell is their top choice. They are also looking at available guards and centers to bolster the line and were interested in Beason before he re-signed with New York. So the Broncos are not done in Free Agency and if they felt Caldwell was a solid number two or three, well then he wouldn't be looking for that receiver still as we speak.

Looking to make an upgrade (which I support) does not invalidate what I said.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Donte Moncrief in 2nd round > Brandon LaFell.

dogfish
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
lololllll! waaaa, i want my decker! 'cause there's no way we can succeed if we don't have the best receiver corps in the league and break the TD record again. . .

:lol:

seriously, anyone who thought we were going to (or should) invest significant money in our offense over the off-season, simply wasn't paying attention. . . you have to fill out your roster with depth guys, everyone knows this. . . i can't see the point of getting bent out of shape because one poster happens to think the guy can replace a chunk of decker's production. . .

luckyseven
03-13-2014, 12:14 AM

you have to admit the Bengals are hardly a great team and if Dalton is hot it is one thing if he is not well, might be a big reason for him not doing well there.

He was also a lot younger then.

I do not disagree that it is security and more than likely they will pick up a WR in the draft, but I do not believe a rookie is going to make a huge splash, trying to learn Mannings routes and schemes.

Magnificent Seven
03-13-2014, 12:49 AM
It looks like Welker has moved up to # 2 WR and Caldwell to # 3 WR?

Bosco
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Welker was the de facto #2 here already, just like when he was in New England.

BroncoWave
03-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Don't forget JT. He's not a WR obviously, but he will be ahead of Caldwell in Manning's progressions as well.

NightTerror218
03-14-2014, 07:39 PM
More two TE sets?

Bosco
03-14-2014, 07:46 PM
More two TE sets?

Doubtful.

jhildebrand
03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with Decker my friend. Caldwell is a 5th option receiver.

Well as it played out, it was clearly a sign Decker was going to be gone. Think about it. Any dollar that was going to Caldwell was one less dollar that could be going to Decker if they were trying to keep him. The minute they poured money into him it was clear Decker was done in Denver. The Broncos signed Caldwell to lock him down and then went for their home run in E Sanders. If they whiffed, they still had a replacement. The Broncos showed everyone with their wallet who they do and don't like. They didn't care for Decker.

I know he is popular round here but he disappeared for too long of a stretch too many times for me. He seemed to be a guy who showed up against KC and SD and that was about it.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2014, 11:53 PM
I don't think we can know when/ifs receiver disappeared, there were so many weapons that just cause a guy didn't fill the box score doesn't mean he didn't do his job.

luckyseven
03-18-2014, 11:59 PM
I don't think we can know when/ifs receiver disappeared, there were so many weapons that just cause a guy didn't fill the box score doesn't mean he didn't do his job.

I agree there were games that WW disappeared as well as JT and DT.

Manning made those choices after seeing teh coverages that were being played.

Double JT or DT ED and WW get the balls.

Double a Hot Decker and someone else was open.

he did not get those yards and TDs by disappearing. he got them by being open when others were doubled and vice versa.

who got the ball? was Manning at the LOS.

FWIW each and everyone of our receivers dropped balls at times.

we had so many UFA this year John decided not to play favorites and allowed them all to go find their best deal.

you can bet Manning was asking him to find money for ED and KM, but there was only so much to go around and D was eh biggest priority.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2014, 12:01 AM
I agree there were games that WW disappeared as well as JT and DT.

Manning made those choices after seeing teh coverages that were being played.

Double JT or DT ED and WW get the balls.

Double a Hot Decker and someone else was open.

he did not get those yards and TDs by disappearing. he got them by being open when others were doubled and vice versa.

who got the ball? was Manning at the LOS.

Exactly, Manning actually did a good job of keeping all those weapons happy.

luckyseven
03-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Exactly, Manning actually did a good job of keeping all those weapons happy.

I doubt they were totally happy, but he spread the ball around as only he could.

TXBRONC
03-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Well as it played out, it was clearly a sign Decker was going to be gone. Think about it. Any dollar that was going to Caldwell was one less dollar that could be going to Decker if they were trying to keep him. The minute they poured money into him it was clear Decker was done in Denver. The Broncos signed Caldwell to lock him down and then went for their home run in E Sanders. If they whiffed, they still had a replacement. The Broncos showed everyone with their wallet who they do and don't like. They didn't care for Decker.

I know he is popular round here but he disappeared for too long of a stretch too many times for me. He seemed to be a guy who showed up against KC and SD and that was about it.

I think the signing of Ware says more about Decker's demise nevertheless the chances of re-signing Decker were slim.

DenBronx
10-24-2014, 12:45 AM
What an awful investment. This dude fumbles everytime he touches the ball.

tomjonesrocks
10-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Pocket change.

ShaneFalco
10-24-2014, 01:15 AM
i dont understand why caldwell is on this team. He is the weakest link.

Bring back Randy moss as 4th wr.

Take the top off the defense!

DenBronx
10-24-2014, 09:37 AM
He got away with it last night but he was lucky. That could of been a turning point for SD. No room on this team for turnover machines and Cadwell somehow manages to have a turnover all the time.

Ravage!!!
10-24-2014, 10:30 AM
I remember some were saying that Caldwell could take up the slack/hole of Decker. I have rarely seen anything positive from Caldwell since being with the Broncos. He drops passes, or runs the wrong routes. He's ok in his role, as to date, despite the fumble last night. But every player on the team has fumbled, so he gets the same chances as everyone else in getting it fixed.

Valar Morghulis
10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Once Latimer is fully fit, Caldwell will be looking for a new team.

Until this season, i was also quite impressed by his limitied contributions - not so much now!

Simple Jaded
10-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Just like anyone else I think Caldwell would be much better if he were getting all the reps, but it's clear he's regressed in the same role he had last year. He's insurance.

Ravage!!!
10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Just like anyone else I think Caldwell would be much better if he were getting all the reps, but it's clear he's regressed in the same role he had last year. He's insurance.

Insurance for what? I don't think he fills a role if anyone on the WR corp gets hurt. Who would he come in and fill for? I don't feel confident with him at WR, at all.

dogfish
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Insurance for what? I don't think he fills a role if anyone on the WR corp gets hurt. Who would he come in and fill for? I don't feel confident with him at WR, at all.

he's another guy who's comfortable working out of the slot. . . not that i feel confident in him anymore either. . . i asume he's gone after this year. . . wouldn't hurt to give somebody else a look on kick returns now-- he's certainly not making any impact back there. . .

Simple Jaded
10-24-2014, 09:47 PM

Thomas, Welker or Sanders. Unless I'm forgetting someone I don't see any other experienced backup on the team. Let's just hope we don't have to find out.

Timmy!
10-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Latimer please, TIA.

Caldwell makes me miss the midget (not you MO). I don't think my heart could take it, and Burse is fine on punts, but I'd take Holiday on kick returns over Caldwell.

dogfish
10-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Latimer please, TIA.

Caldwell makes me miss the midget (not you MO). I don't think my heart could take it, and Burse is fine on punts, but I'd take Holiday on kick returns over Caldwell.

i think burse actually has some elusiveness to him, but he also knows to keep moving upfield. . . i think he has decent potential. . . anyone know if he's gotten any work on kick returns?

Timmy!
10-25-2014, 01:10 AM
i think burse actually has some elusiveness to him, but he also knows to keep moving upfield. . . i think he has decent potential. . . anyone know if he's gotten any work on kick returns?

That's actually a good question. He does fair catch a little too often (but with our offense being conservative isn't a bad thing), he has yet to put it on the ground ( I think) and does get positive yards. Caldwell has been a friggin disaster.

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 03:26 AM
That's actually a good question. He does fair catch a little too often (but with our offense being conservative isn't a bad thing), he has yet to put it on the ground ( I think) and does get positive yards. Caldwell has been a friggin disaster.

i think manning probably says to him - "just catch the thing - let me do my job"

MOtorboat
10-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Latimer is not a kick returner.

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 03:42 AM

neither is caldwell!

MOtorboat
10-25-2014, 03:46 AM
neither is caldwell!

Lol.

You know, for his almost fumble, he also had a 40 yard return. I'm not going to only remember the bad...

That said, Burse is the only natural replacement Denver has.

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 03:52 AM
Lol.

You know, for his almost fumble, he also had a 40 yard return. I'm not going to only remember the bad...

Lol yeah - i know what you mean, i was only half serious.

But it is not just that fumble, his hands have been dodgy all season (when playing WR) and his returns in general have left me unimpressed. I actually was one of those people that thought he could take up some of the slack left by Decker - but i was wrong about that!

CrazyHorse
10-25-2014, 07:29 AM
It's hilarious when people hate on our 5th or 6th offensive option.

capt. Jack
10-25-2014, 07:34 AM
I wasn't happy with him the other night, that's for sure!

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 08:42 AM
It is not about hating a 5th choice offensive weapon - it is about me acknowledging he is not the player I thought he was.

Moreover, he is our first choice punt returner, Holliday was run out of town for dropping, fumbling and making bad choices inside the 20 - Caldwell should be held to account in the exact same way.

MOtorboat
10-25-2014, 07:24 PM
It is not about hating a 5th choice offensive weapon - it is about me acknowledging he is not the player I thought he was.

Moreover, he is our first choice punt returner, Holliday was run out of town for dropping, fumbling and making bad choices inside the 20 - Caldwell should be held to account in the exact same way.

Caldwell has no fumbles.

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Caldwell has no fumbles.

Neither is he our punt returner - that would be burse

Any way stato - how many drops has he had or what is his completion % when targeted. I bet it is crap lol

Simple Jaded
10-26-2014, 01:31 AM
Burse/Caldwell are a massive upgrade in terms of reliability. I screamed and whined about cutting Caldwell when he fumbled too, until I looked over at my wife as she's rolling her eyes at me, it's just not rational. Knock on wood, they won't need him on offense for extended time but he is experienced insurance and he's earning his keep on ST's.

Joel
10-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Lol.

What about Sanders? He's fast, has magnets for hands and can take a licking and keep on ticking. Or DT; his hands aren't quite as good, but his 40 time's slightly faster, and all those bubble screens he's run show he quickly pick his way downfield through tacklers. Maybe we just don't want to risk a primary receiver getting hit that much, but we had Welker returning punts part of last year, and if we insist on using our 4th or 5th best WR to return kicks, we must resign ourselves to 4th or 5th best WR performance. There's a reason these guys don't get on the field any other time.

MOtorboat
10-26-2014, 08:49 AM
What about Sanders? He's fast, has magnets for hands and can take a licking and keep on ticking. Or DT; his hands aren't quite as good, but his 40 time's slightly faster, and all those bubble screens he's run show he quickly pick his way downfield through tacklers. Maybe we just don't want to risk a primary receiver getting hit that much, but we had Welker returning punts part of last year, and if we insist on using our 4th or 5th best WR to return kicks, we must resign ourselves to 4th or 5th best WR performance. There's a reason these guys don't get on the field any other time.

Imagine how many ******* words you'd spend bitching if one of those two guys got injured on a kickoff return and then get back to me.

Valar Morghulis
10-26-2014, 08:55 AM
I think the Broncos should negate this argument by publicly stating that all they want their kick returner to do is catch the ball and take a knee - because that is all i want him to do!

As it goes Jaded and MO - I accept your arguments about me over reacting to his "almost" fumble

ShaneFalco
10-26-2014, 09:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJcUlrkMNg

BroncoWave
10-26-2014, 09:11 AM

So what? In today's NFL, like 10% of kickoffs are returnable, especially with half our games in Denver. Is that worth using up a roster spot on a guy who, at best, is an average kick returner? If your only reasoning for keeping Caldwell active is that he is our best kick returner, that is a poor reason IMO. We could stick almost anyone else back there and it would be irrelevant for the 90% of kickoffs that go out of the endzone.

ShaneFalco
10-26-2014, 09:14 AM
So what? In today's NFL, like 10% of kickoffs are returnable, especially with half our games in Denver. Is that worth using up a roster spot on a guy who, at best, is an average kick returner? If your only reasoning for keeping Caldwell active is that he is our best kick returner, that is a poor reason IMO. We could stick almost anyone else back there and it would be irrelevant for the 90% of kickoffs that go out of the endzone.

hester and tavon are only people worth keeping for a return slot. Because they also play slot.

BroncoWave
10-26-2014, 09:16 AM
hester and tavon are only people worth keeping for a return slot. Because they also play slot.

And they return punts, which is far more relevant since that comes into play multiple times a game. The kickoff has become almost irrelevant in today's NFL. I just don't see the point in keeping a guy on the roster whose only value is that he can kinda return kickoffs.

Joel
10-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Imagine how many ******* words you'd spend bitching if one of those two guys got injured on a kickoff return and then get back to me.
Fine: Then back to
if we insist on using our 4th or 5th best WR to return kicks, we must resign ourselves to 4th or 5th best WR performance. There's a reason these guys don't get on the field any other time.

BroncoWave
10-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I'd see if CJ can return kicks. Will he ever break a long one? No, but I think he's good enough to get it back to the 20 on the rare occasion that a kickoff is returnable in the first place. He's probably less of a fumble risk than Caldwell too.

Overall, though, I just don't think it matters who is returning kicks since it comes into play once, MAYBE twice per game. It's just not a good enough reason to keep Caldwell on the active roster.

Simple Jaded
10-26-2014, 04:34 PM
I'd see if CJ can return kicks. Will he ever break a long one? No, but I think he's good enough to get it back to the 20 on the rare occasion that a kickoff is returnable in the first place. He's probably less of a fumble risk than Caldwell too.

Overall, though, I just don't think it matters who is returning kicks since it comes into play once, MAYBE twice per game. It's just not a good enough reason to keep Caldwell on the active roster.

Well to be fair KR isn't the only ST's role he plays, KO coverage and im fairly certain he's the gunner on Punt coverage.

BroncoWave
10-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Well to be fair KR isn't the only ST's role he plays, KO coverage and im fairly certain he's the gunner on Punt coverage.

It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to teach that role to someone else. But I won't claim to be an expert on how those special teams roles work.