PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating period set to begin

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Free agency technically begins at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, but that won't be the first chance NFL clubs have to begin conversations with the agents of players they covet.

Effective at 12 p.m. Saturday, the NFL opens what has become commonly known as a "legal tampering window." While teams cannot execute a contract with a free agent (other than their own free agents) until Tuesday at 4 p.m., they can contact the agents of pending unrestricted free agents of other teams.

This allows teams to begin their pursuit of players that they believe could add value to their roster, while it allows the agents for players to assess the market that they are expected to have come the start of the new league year.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4759820/negotiating-period-set-to-begin?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ziggy
03-07-2014, 08:17 PM
We should start hearing about who the Broncos are interested in tomorrow and Sunday. Just be careful who you listen to. The only reliable source is and always has been Adam Schefter.

broken12
03-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I really hope we try and land j byrd....he would be a great asset and make our cb's look better.....with a good safety back there qbs have to get the ball in smaller windows. ...Jared allen also

MOtorboat
03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
I really hope we try and land j byrd....he would be a great asset and make our cb's look better.....with a good safety back there qbs have to get the ball in smaller windows. ...Jared allen also

Byrd is going to Cleveland by all reports.

Apparently Asamoah and the Jets are in line with each other.

underrated29
03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I would not be surprised if we didn't land ward. I bet he's our number one other team FA target.

underrated29
03-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Stupid phone. We will get him is what I mean.

DenBronx
03-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Bet we land Delmas instead of Ward. Much cheaper.

slim
03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
We should start hearing about who the Broncos are interested in tomorrow and Sunday. Just be careful who you listen to. The only reliable source is and always has been Adam Schefter.

I only listen to incarcerated Bob.

Dzone
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Denver makes the list
http://grantland.com/features/the-10-teams-that-should-dominate-free-agency/

7DnBrnc53
03-10-2014, 01:05 AM

That's a good point, because on another board (A sports logo forum), a fellow Denver fan said that Chris Kuper was retiring, and that Jason LaCanfora said that Denver trading for Revis was imminent. He said that Jason said that the Broncos would give them a 2015 third rounder that could turn into a 2nd if certain conditions were met.

I tried to look this info up on Google, though, and didn't find anything.

MOtorboat
03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
That's a good point, because on another board (A sports logo forum), a fellow Denver fan said that Chris Kuper was retiring, and that Jason LaCanfora said that Denver trading for Revis was imminent. He said that Jason said that the Broncos would give them a 2015 third rounder that could turn into a 2nd if certain conditions were met.

I tried to look this info up on Google, though, and didn't find anything.

La Canfora hasn't said that. He's the one who broke that Revis could be traded two weeks ago, though he didn't ever indicate what teams.

CoachChaz
03-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Schefter is nothing like he use to be. He's only right now because he throws so many things out there that he eventually hits on a few of them

underrated29
03-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Kuper is going to retire.

A better used to know guys inside our FO. Used to.

I would take revis for a future 3rd no doubt about it. But we arebt trading for him. That's like saying Seattle will trade Percy harvin for a future 2nd that could become a first....not real.

MOtorboat
03-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm kind of shocked how quiet it's been considering we're in the official tampering period.

7DnBrnc53
03-10-2014, 01:26 PM
La Canfora hasn't said that. He's the one who broke that Revis could be traded two weeks ago, though he didn't ever indicate what teams.

Wasn't he the one that indicated that Denver and NE were interested, or was that Florio?

Lancane
03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm kind of shocked how quiet it's been considering we're in the official tampering period.

I think it's more quiet Mo because more and more agents are only letting out tidbits like "We've fielded calls from eight different teams", when in reality it's more like five, trying to up the price tags of their players with those five teams. With Free Agency getting more competitive year in and year out, it makes you wonder. And I've even heard of agents calling teams before the draft to try and get workouts to improve the draft status of their players, as to how many adhere to the practice I can not say, but when you get to know agents, it's not all that surprising, they're attorneys with an agenda. Look how Dumervil's agent handled things and we know that the Agents have been questioned about ethics in the past as well as punished by the league.

Tomorrow is when we'll really start to hear about which players the Broncos are going after, because the wheels we'll be off and serious interest will be more notable and likely reported from various reputable sources.

MOtorboat
03-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Wasn't he the one that indicated that Denver and NE were interested, or was that Florio?

I think he might have been, but he's also been adamant that DRC is going to re-sign.

Jsteve01
03-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Florio is a douche. I can't wait for tomorrow....let the fun begin

DenBronx
03-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Delmas signed with the Dolphins. I was wrong on us going the cheap route.

Saw a story on PFT that we would go after Ward and use him the same way the Seahawks use Cam Chancelor. I would be heavily in favor of that!

DenBronx
03-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Report: Absent a trade, Bucs will cut Revis on Wednesday

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT

AP
Well, that was fast.

We speculated within the last hour that, if the Buccaneers can’t find a trade partner for cornerback Darrelle Revis, perhaps they’ll cut him. “Perhaps” has now become “will.”

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bucs will indeed cut Revis on Wednesday if they can’t find a trade partner. The move would avoid a $1.5 million roster bonus due Thursday. It also would cause the Bucs to avoid having a fourth-round pick upgrade to a third-round pick as the final piece of compensation to the Jets for the trade that sent Revis to Tampa last year.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/report-absent-a-trade-bucs-will-cut-revis-on-wednesday/

^^^^^

Would Revis now make sense? Looks like the Bucs are just going to cut him by tomorrows deadline. Means any team can just renegotiate a new deal for him correct? Plus not have to give up any draft picks.

DenBronx
03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Broncos Chasing T.J. Ward, Looking to Copy Seahawks' Hard-Hitting Style Defense

NFL teams can officially sign free agents as of 4 p.m. ET March 11.

Safety T.J. Ward is one of the premier free agents in this year's class, and he appears willing to test the market. Could the Denver Broncos be the landing spot for Ward? How would he fit into the Broncos defense?

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1987263-broncos-chasing-tj-ward-looking-to-copy-seahawks-hard-hitting-style-defense

KwZkPywFg8s

DenBronx
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
We have an estimated 33 mill of cap space available. That's after cutting Champ and Kuper retiring and we have yet to cut either Dreesen or Tamme. I think we keep either Tamme or Dreesen.

33 mill and we cant manage to keep Decker???

Ok....whatever but we will still sign some big names. Just you wait!

CoachChaz
03-10-2014, 11:47 PM
We have an estimated 33 mill of cap space available. That's after cutting Champ and Kuper retiring and we have yet to cut either Dreesen or Tamme. I think we keep either Tamme or Dreesen.

33 mill and we cant manage to keep Decker???

Ok....whatever but we will still sign some big names. Just you wait!

33=22.

DenBronx
03-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Nope, we had 27 mill after we cut Champ and now Kuper retiring saves us another 6.

Cecil Lammey had a real in depth article about all of this about a month ago. We have done almost everything exactly as described in his article and I doubt we are even done yet.

6.5 mill was rolled over
We already had space this year
Cap increased to 133 mill (up 10 mill)
Cutting Champ (9.5 mill)
Kuper Retiring (6 mill)

33 it is and counting.

I am fully aware that some will be needed to be set aside for draft picks.

CoachChaz
03-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Nope, we had 27 mill after we cut Champ and now Kuper retiring saves us another 6.

Cecil Lammey had a real in depth article about all of this about a month ago. We have done almost everything exactly as described in his article and I doubt we are even done yet.

6.5 mill was rolled over
Cutting Champ (9.5 mill)
Kuper Retiring (6 mill)

33 it is and counting.

Ok...what are you using to pay draft picks? UDFA's? Practice squad players? Players you sign during the season? Most teams set aside around 10 mil for that, so yeah...33=22-23.

dogfish
03-11-2014, 12:05 AM
33=22.

yep, you still have to have money to sign your rookies and UDFAs, and hold at least some reserve to make moves in-season. . . at least a million or two, you know you'll end up putting some guys on IR, and needing to fill those spots. . .

call it about ten for a corner, and say we'll have ten to fifteen more to spend in FA, pending a few more moves (cuts or restructures)-- just as an approximation. . .

den, how much of it you wanna spend on one guy? i don't think the reports of decker getting ten were accurate, but he may well still get seven or eight. . . if allen won't sign for five or six max, we should get philips back for less than that. . . even if it's straight up (say six or seven) how do you not take allen over decker on this team? i don't think we'll pay allen a crazy number either, honestly. . . if winning is a top priority, maybe he signs here for a couple years at a somewhat reasonable figure-- not sure i can see us signing him at seven or eight. . . at that range the FO might rather make a run at a younger guy like ward or byrd, and sign a cheaper pass rusher. . .

assuming we do sign a top corner for around the expected price, we can still sign another impact FA-- but the millions start drying up pretty quickly after that, and we do have more holes than we can fill with rookies. . . we need to (and will) get some bodies in FA. . . i think we'll have to pick our spots a bit, but we can find some lower-priced guys that can make an impact. . . darren sproles isn't banking anywhere at his size and age, but he'd still be a nice weapon out of the backfield. . . i've expressed that steve smith is a guy i'd want if he gets cut. . . or if not, there will be tons of WRs available this year, the large majority of whom will sign for a good bit less than decker. . . mike mitchell is a younger guy who shouldn't break the bank, but he'd still be a nice upgrade at either safety spot. . . there are a number of others, certainly. . . and you know elway will find a couple of smart risk/reward signings on one or two-year deals. . .

realistic holes we need to fill this off-season potentially include one more RB, preferrably a vet who can contribute in the passing game. . . two WRs-- either caldwell or a superior vet who can come in and contribute this year, and probably a draft pick. . . at least two interior offensive linemen-- one of them starter-cailber, unless we plan on keeping chris clark in the starting line-up. . . a TE if we cut one of ours, which we probably will. . . at least two defensive ends-- three if we don't feel confident about wolfe's return, or if Q smith can't give us anything. . . two middle linebackers, one of them a starter unless we think nate irving can do it. . . one, or even two starting cornerbacks, depending on how they feel about harris' rehab and webster's progression. . . and depth at safety, absolute best case scenario-- but really, i think we know they want at least one upgrade there. . . nacho's not a starter on a super bowl team unless he makes massive strides in coverage overnight, and rahim's not a special player even if he comes back 100%-- and he's another guy set to hit FA next year. . . it's realistically a huge need. . .

we do have the resources to fill most of those-- but not with seven million dollar #2 wideouts, not with this team's roster makeup and salary structure. . . and not with top names at more than one or two positions, barring some really unexpected luck. . . to me, it's almost a given that number one corner is one of those, with a pass-rushing RDE as the most likely second priority. . . maaaybe we could sign a TJ ward as well, if DRC doesn't kill us, and an end like allen is willing to play at a bit of a reduced rate. . . you don't want to end up filling all your depth positions with scrubs, though. . . and it's not like we have a lot of draft picks. . .

luckyseven
03-11-2014, 12:23 AM

6.5 mill was rolled over
Cutting Champ (9.5 mill)
Kuper Retiring (6 mill)

33 it is and counting.

Kuoer saves a shade over 4. After dead money from his contract.

MOtorboat
03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Broncos Chasing T.J. Ward, Looking to Copy Seahawks' Hard-Hitting Style Defense

NFL teams can officially sign free agents as of 4 p.m. ET March 11.

Safety T.J. Ward is one of the premier free agents in this year's class, and he appears willing to test the market. Could the Denver Broncos be the landing spot for Ward? How would he fit into the Broncos defense?

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:

I can't get the video to work. Is there anything substantial to this or just two guys from Bleacher Report who think Denver should chase Ward?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
This helps the market. Increased supply lowers value.

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Ok...what are you using to pay draft picks? UDFA's? Practice squad players? Players you sign during the season? Most teams set aside around 10 mil for that, so yeah...33=22-23.

Please RE-READ the bottom portion of my post. I took the time to add it in because I already knew where this was going.

Regardless, we wont have 22 mill going into the FA period tomorrow, we will have 33. If we need cash to sign UDFA or rookies then we will be fine.

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 12:48 AM
I can't get the video to work. Is there anything substantial to this or just two guys from Bleacher Report who think Denver should chase Ward?

I couldnt get the vid to load now either. Not sure what happened.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Please RE-READ the bottom portion of my post. I took the time to add it in because I already knew where this was going.

Regardless, we wont have 22 mill going into the FA period tomorrow, we will have 33. If we need cash to sign UDFA or rookies then we will be fine.

I give up

luckyseven
03-11-2014, 02:33 AM
I give up

As you said most teams set aside money to cover season ending injury replacements. If it is not used, then it is carried to the next year.

Ever since Shanahans last few years, about when most fans started calling Pat cheap and broke, the broncos started to curb spending. I think Pat finally started to realize he did not have to allow him to spend every dime each year.

Every year since it appeared that they held back 11 million or so.

Like you said, I see no reason that they do not continue that policy.

DenBronx
03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
We always set aside money for draft choices. Thats a complete given. Hasnt changed in years.

Still has nothing to do with the amount we have as of now.

CoachChaz
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
How the hell does draft pick salaries not have anything to do with our current cap space?

luckyseven
03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
We always set aside money for draft choices. Thats a complete given. Hasnt changed in years.

Still has nothing to do with the amount we have as of now.

that money comes out of the total cap value always has.

I have heard a range from 1.9 to 5 million myself I'd say the later sounds about closer.

LTC Pain
03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
From Vic Lo.bardi via Twitter:

RT @drc941: Damn tire went flat, smh!!!!--->>>I'm reporting that DRC will have his flat fixed in an hour and re-signs with Broncos in 24 hrs