PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal Kick Returns

Az Snake
09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't like using Eddie for kick returns.

It gave me the creeps when they made Rod do it,
And it creeps me out now that Eddie is doing it.

Eddie is too valuable to take a cheap shot from a crazy ST gunner while Eddie is at his most vulnerable point.

Don't the Broncos have anyone else to return kicks ?

Ravage!!!
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I believe they used him when we were looking for the BIG return at the end of the game. Hillis returned the opening KO (well, he was lined up to take the kick, someone up front fumbled it around)

Traveler
09-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Didn't the kid from Oakland get cut? Can't remember his name at the moment. Josh something or other I think. He's a pretty nice KO returner.

While I love Eddie as a receiver, he reminds too much of Deltha O'Neal as a returner. Too much running east and west.

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought Alphonso Smith was suppose to be our return man for both kick returns and punt returns?

Grover
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought Alphonso Smith was suppose to be our return man for both kick returns and punt returns?

They tried both Smith and McKinley in those roles, and I think ball security was the issue, and that's why Royal is getting the duty.

I'm not pleased with Royal doing it either, but is he any less valuable than Smith right now? From the first game, I'd say Smith is the more valuable player (at least with Orton at QB).

As far as adding another player to do the return duties, I think that would be at the expense of McKinley or Lloyd, and I don't think we'd do that, nor would I be in favor of it if we did.

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
They tried both Smith and McKinley in those roles, and I think ball security was the issue, and that's why Royal is getting the duty.

I'm not pleased with Royal doing it either, but is he any less valuable than Smith right now? From the first game, I'd say Smith is the more valuable player (at least with Orton at QB).

As far as adding another player to do the return duties, I think that would be at the expense of McKinley or Lloyd, and I don't think we'd do that, nor would I be in favor of it if we did.

That last kick return it was obvious that Royal was handling that kick because of his experience but I don't think it's good idea for Eddie to have return duties as well being receiver. I think he will eventually wear down if ends doing all those things.

Az Snake
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I believe they used him when we were looking for the BIG return at the end of the game. Hillis returned the opening KO (well, he was lined up to take the kick, someone up front fumbled it around)

I admit I may be a little bit foggy and still in a daze after Stokely blew my mind. I vaguely remember in the game day thread Top pleading, "What happened, what happened ?" :lol:

But I do remember Royal taking the opening kickoff, muffed it and Buckhalter recovered on the 20.

End of 2nd quarter Royal fair catches a Cincy punt.

After Cincy’s first possession in the 3rd quarter Royal fielded a punt on the 8 and made it to the 16.
After Cincy’s 2nd possession in the 3rd quarter, Royal fielded a punt on the 8 and made it to the 9 yd line.
After Cincy’s 3rd possession in the 3rd quarter, Royal fielded a punt on the 24, and was creamed by Maualuga on the 34.

After Cincy’s first possession in the 4th and subsequent TD, Royal returned the kickoff from 4 yards deep in the end zone and was creamed again by Maualuga on the 17 yd line.

I haven't had a chance to calc Eddie's return average but
it's not good.
The Broncos can't waste Royal as a returner.

It's just not worth it.

Az Snake
09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
That last kick return it was obvious that Royal was handling that kick because of his experience but I don't think it's good idea for Eddie to have return duties as well being receiver. I think he will eventually wear down if ends doing all those things.

I'm not worried about Royal getting worn down.
I'm worried about him getting broken in half.

shank
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
But I do remember Royal taking the opening kickoff, muffed it and Buckhalter recovered on the 20.

hillis was back to return the first kick, but it was a short kick that tyler polumbus tried to catch, failed, buckhalter almost got it, failed, and then hillis just covered it up.

Az Snake
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
hillis was back to return the first kick, but it was a short kick that tyler polumbus tried to catch, failed, buckhalter almost got it, failed, and then hillis just covered it up.

I admit I may be a little bit foggy and still in a daze after Stokely blew my mind.

I guess I should have said that "I think that...." :lol:

Regardless, Royal had too many touches.

broncophan
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I admit I may be a little bit foggy and still in a daze after Stokely blew my mind. I vaguely remember in the game day thread Top pleading, "What happened, what happened ?" :lol:

End of 2nd quarter Royal fair catches a Cincy punt.

After Cincy’s first possession in the 3rd quarter Royal fielded a punt on the 8 and made it to the 16.
After Cincy’s 2nd possession in the 3rd quarter, Royal fielded a punt on the 8 and made it to the 9 yd line.
After Cincy’s 3rd possession in the 3rd quarter, Royal fielded a punt on the 24, and was creamed by Maualuga on the 34.

After Cincy’s first possession in the 4th and subsequent TD, Royal returned the kickoff from 4 yards deep in the end zone and was creamed again by Maualuga on the 17 yd line.

I haven't had a chance to calc Eddie's return average but
it's not good.

It's just not worth it.

Without looking.....I know Royal did a good job last year as a returner....and got alot of positive yardage........I don't think it would be a "waste"......as long as he does not get hurt....:D

MOtorboat
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Without looking.....I know Royal did a good job last year as a returner....and got alot of positive yardage........I don't think it would be a "waste"......as long as he does not get hurt....:D

Or slip at the 13 yard line...

broncophan
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

:rolleyes:I think the young guy deserves a "pass" on a slip every now and then....

dogfish
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
wow, football thread from AZ!

good to see ya, man. . . . :beer:

SR
09-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't like him on punt returns, but kick returns aren't as risky.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM

hey that slip set up an 87 yard td to win the game. without the slip that play wouldnt have happened like that. royals slip earned him the game ball. this was a designed play btw to trick the D.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM

I think Royal needs to play kick returns and Smith should take punt returns.

topscribe
09-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I understand McKinley is pretty explosive. He also muffed a kick in preseason,
and I guess he doesn't have the hands Royal has yet. However, I would
rather see a muffed kick than an injured Royal . . .

-----

Nomad
09-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I understand McKinley is pretty explosive. He also muffed a kick in preseason,
and I guess he doesn't have the hands Royal has yet. However, I would
rather see a muffed kick than an injured Royal . . .

-----

You're spot on AZ in rather seeing Royal at receiver rather than returner!!

Good point, top! McKinley would be my choice as well.

Lonestar
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't like using Eddie for kick returns.

It gave me the creeps when they made Rod do it,
And it creeps me out now that Eddie is doing it.

Eddie is too valuable to take a cheap shot from a crazy ST gunner while Eddie is at his most vulnerable point.

Don't the Broncos have anyone else to return kicks ?

NE billies theory on this is...

the kick off is the first play on offense as is the punt return..

conversely the kick off and punt are the last play on Defense..

would you put 2nd and 3rd stringers on to play defense or offense?

when you look at it in those contexts having you best players on the TEAM playing when they can makes sense..

I suspect that Josh thinks much the same way..

Az Snake
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Huh ? :confused:

dogfish
09-15-2009, 01:31 AM

Huh ? :confused:

not sure if that's directed at JR, but if it is he's completely right. . . a different way to say it would be that bellyache thinks special teams is just as important as the other two phases of the game, and he wants to have his best talent on the field as much as possible. . . he's had a reputation for years now of not being afraid to use his starters on ST. . .

it's really easy for me to see both sides of the issue, but until we have someone show that they can be both reliable and productive back there, i can somewhat reluctantly agree with using royal. . . he did handle an awful lot of return duties last year as well as starting on offense, and he held up pretty well until the last couple of weeks (which often happens to rookies even if they aren't utilized that heavily). . . he's absolutely muscle-bound for a smaller guy, he has virtually no body fat and tested as one of the strongest receivers in his draft class, out-lifting plenty of running backs and a number of linebackers and tight ends. . . doesn't mean that he can't get hurt or worn down, but he is as well-equiped to handle punishment as anyone can be, despite his size. . .

and while it carries some risk, it's also nice to have a guy back there who's very capable of making a big play. . . royal was one of the more effective returners in the league last year, on both punts and kickoffs, and we don't have anyone else who's at all proven in that capacity. . . if the guy's playing 50-60 snaps per game on offense, i'm not so sure that getting four or five returns significantly increases his chance of injury. . . ultimately, i really WOULD be happier having somebody else back there, but eddie's explosiveness in the open field is a bigtime weapon, and you want to take advantage of it as much as possible. . . for a team that has been so putrid on "special" teams for quite a while now, any advantage we can get back there is a big deal. . . .

i definitely see where you're coming from, but if the coaching staff doesn't feel confident that one of our other guys can be trusted to get the job done, then i don't blame them for sticking with a proven and reliable performer. . . this team isn't good enough to give away possessions and points because we have green newbies back there fumbling the ball. . .

Lonestar
09-15-2009, 02:20 AM
I would rather have starters plugged into the ST unless they have someone that is better than them playing on it..

Starters have a vested interest in making sure we wind up with eh best field position as it makes their job easier..

Josh likes versatile and multi-positional players and I see no reason at this stage in not playing the BEST person available.. for the job..

if a 2nd stringer can do the job just as well more power to him.. plug him in and save the starter..

Az Snake
09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
:hahaha:
I was just kidding Jr with the "huh ?"

OK, I cave.

Dammit Eddie, you are the best, get some field position !!!

And the rest of you ST guys knock down everyone out of Eddie's way !!!

:beer:

CoachChaz
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe someone with more time can look this up, but on average...how many KR's and PR's are injured each year.

Buff
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Just don't let Tyler Polumbus field any more kicks... Why did he even think about touching that opening kickoff? You're an offensive tackle dude.

dogfish
09-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Just don't let Tyler Polumbus field any more kicks... Why did he even think about touching that opening kickoff? You're an offensive tackle dude.

a fine example of that quality CU edumacation at work. . . .

*runs away*

TXBRONC
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM

If I remember correctly he didn't have much choice because the ball was right to him.

topscribe
09-15-2009, 12:38 PM

OK, I cave.

Now, why hasn't the ST staff thought of that? :confused:

-----

outdoor_miner
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Really? My understanding is the exact opposite. Kickoff returns are more dangerous (hence, Royal only had one KO return last week at the end of the game when it was most important), while punt returns are much less dangerous. This fits with what New England does with Welker. Welker returns punts, but not kickoffs. Same with Steve Smith a few years ago.

It makes sense, too. Kick off coverage teams have a "free" run down the field at the returner (they're basically heat seeking missiles), whereas punt coverage teams are blocked the entire way.

dogfish
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM

It's just not worth it.

OK, I cave.

could thing you saw the light on this one in time, AZ. . . . :D

somewhere, deuce of club is smiling. . . .