PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to Release Champ Bailey

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Per Adam Schefter:

Broncos are releasing CB Champ Bailey, as @JasonLaCanfora reported. Denver frees up $10 million in cap space but loses a leader.

Pudge
03-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Eff this. Also BTB is a horrible person

ShaneFalco
03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
what!!!!!!!?

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:10 PM
It really, really hurts that we could never win this guy a title with all he gave to the Broncos. Then to just flat out cut him after the Super Bowl loss. I'm really shocked we could not work out a restructure with him.

aberdien
03-05-2014, 10:10 PM
This world is a cruel, cruel place.

ShaneFalco
03-05-2014, 10:11 PM
thats ******* ridiculous.

Zweems56
We all knew it was a strong possibility, but it still ******* sucks. Honestly hope he retires. If I can't have him, no one can.

ShaneFalco
if they bring in revis i will be even more pissed.

underrated29
03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking champ will see what he can get on the market and if not a lot will come back to us at a cheaper rate....he's not done here yet.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking champ will see what he can get on the market and if not a lot will come back to us at a cheaper rate....he's not done here yet.

Cecil Lamney is saying the same thing. Hope you're right.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Champ Bailey probably expected this, and there is likely no way his agent was going to allow a restructure which dropped the player he represented to not even a fourth of his current salary. Bailey will test the market and find that few teams will be interested in his service and those that are, it will likely be at the nickel and for much less then he is use to. He may come back, but I've been saying all off-season that this was more likely then the restructure.

Also, this likely points to the Broncos and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie being close to a new long-term deal which would make DRC the Broncos' top corner.

aberdien
03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1m
Just talked to Champ Bailey. He was not offered a pay cut to stay with the Broncos. He's looking forward to hitting FA for first time.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
These tweets make it seem unlikely that Champ will re-sign here.

Vic Lombardi:

Here's what I know about Champ. His release has not been finalized yet. If he is indeed released, the Broncos will NOT look to re-sign him.

Adam Schefter:

CB Champ Bailey has no interest in retiring at this time, per source. Would make sense for Bailey to finish his career at home in Georgia.

slim
03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Pretty logical move. If they are going to drop $10m on a DB, they can do better than a 35 year old Champ.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I feel sad.

But know this is a business. Hope Bailey finds his way back after his tour for a reduced rate. We all hashed this over and over again and today brings us the harsh cold reality.

He did lose a step though. There are some bigger needs on the open market in an ALL IN mindset to win now.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I love the drama of this situation because Lombardi said this and Schefter said that, but Lindsey thinks this. The flat out reality is that Bailey is delusional if he thinks he's still elite or starter capable for that matter, he'll learn that in Free Agency. And Denver had to make a choice, while it's sucks to see such a beloved, long time member of this team leave who was once the face of the Broncos, the team has to move forward and made the right decision.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 6m

Champ's agent was still negotiating with the Broncos late this afternoon. They don't have to officially release him until next week.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 9m

Here's what I know about Champ. His release has not been finalized yet. If he is indeed released, the Broncos will NOT look to re-sign him.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Pretty logical move. If they are going to drop $10m on a DB, they can do better than a 35 year old Champ.

Maybe he could wait till mid season to come back if we are pushing for the #1 seed again. Would love to see him rest those legs and sign a deal for 1 more year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m

Again, if and when they do release Champ Bailey, sources tell me the Broncos will not look to re-sign him.

Canmore
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Knew it was coming. Still, I'm stunned.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 6m

Champ's agent was still negotiating with the Broncos late this afternoon. They don't have to officially release him until next week.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 9m

So basically the earlier reports of the Broncos not making an effort to deal with him were indeed false, they are trying to restructure his current contract but the team has decided if it can not get done then they're going to release him and let him go elsewhere no matter what.

Makes sense to me.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 10:32 PM
This might allow us to do a couple things though.

Maybe retain Eric Decker AND sign DRC long term. Would also give us some room to sign Jackson or Jared Allen.

Like I said I am sad because I know his time has come but I dont feel sorry. He's been paid very very good here in Denver. He got to the AFCCG, went to the playoffs, pro bowl every year and got to the SB this past year. Thats already an amazing career. Champ is always going to be remembered as a Bronco but sadly he couldnt win a ring.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 10:35 PM
So basically the earlier reports of the Broncos not making an effort to deal with him were indeed false, they are trying to restructure his current contract but the team has decided if it can not get done then they're going to release him and let him go elsewhere no matter what.

Makes sense to me.

Not sure - based on the following:

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 15m

Just talked to Champ Bailey. He was not offered a pay cut to stay with the Broncos. He's looking forward to hitting FA for first time.

Vic said they were negotiating with his agent late this afternoon. Right now, conflicting reports

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m

Barring a complete 180, Champ will become a free agent next Tuesday, looking to sign with another team. Had a helluva Broncos career.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Not sure - based on the following:

Vic said they were negotiating with his agent late this afternoon. Right now, conflicting reports

Vic's reports seem to be conflicting with everyone else's. I think he has some bad info.

Denver Native (Carol)
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 18m

CB Champ Bailey has no interest in retiring at this time, per source. Would make sense for Bailey to finish his career at home in Georgia.

weazel
It's a great organizational move, saves them paying a declining player 10 million dollars next season. Being sentimental is nice but the fact is Bailey has been on the decline for a couple seasons and couldn't keep up to receivers. If you dont believe that, you're fooling yourself.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 18m

Stop stealing my stuff! ;)

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
This might allow us to do a couple things though.

Maybe retain Eric Decker AND sign DRC long term. Would also give us some room to sign Jackson or Jared Allen.

Like I said I am sad because I know his time has come but I dont feel sorry. He's been paid very very good here in Denver. He got to the AFCCG, went to the playoffs, pro bowl every year and got to the SB this past year. Thats already an amazing career. Champ is always going to be remembered as a Bronco but sadly he couldnt win a ring.

DB, brother...you need to get over your Jared Allen man-crush, it's not going to happen unless the Broncos can not come to terms with Shaun Phillips, even then I would rather see them go with youth and make a move on Lamarr Houston. But otherwise, you are correct, the timing of this tells me that they're close to deals with multiple players, likely Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie who will take the largest portion, followed by D'Qwell Jackson and then Shaun Phillips, this one move opens up enough to cover three key positions while not really losing much beyond a nickel corner and the defensive leadership closest to what Manning brings on the other side of the ball. His leadership is the biggest loss, but at this stage the Broncos need long-term talent, Phillips is a temporary need but DRC and Jackson both make this defense better.

Oh, and as for Decker, look for the Broncos to let him go without much of a fuss, they have bigger needs and he's easily replaceable.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m

Champ Bailey: "It sucks, but at the same time, I have to move on. I can’t dwell on it. I know they’re not dwelling on it."

VonDoom
03-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm actually surprised by how many people are surprised by this. "Move him to safety" never seemed realistic. "Ask him to restructure" just pushes dead money to a later year. "Ask him to take a pay cut" sounds fine in theory, but I doubt any proud athlete is going to accept that without some hurt feelings at the very least. This was the most likely outcome for Champ this year.

I love the guy, and he's been one of the greatest Broncos in recent history. It's yet another reason why that SB loss was so painful. But it's time for everyone to move on, and if this $10 million allows the Broncos to sign DRC or Decker or Jackson or Allen or anyone who can help this team win now, then it's the right move.

Slick
03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m

Champ Bailey: "It sucks, but at the same time, I have to move on. I can’t dwell on it. I know they’re not dwelling on it."

Well, if they couldn't reach an agreement on just how much they would have to slash his contract, at least he has the freedom to see what he can fetch on the open market. I wish him well no matter what happens.

MasterShake
03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
This sucks but according to Elway he was going to sit down with Champ personally. I'm sure it was a mutually agreed upon move and they are going to allow Champ to test the market. I really wanted that last Super Bowl for him.

No matter what he will always be a Bronco to me. Class act until the end.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
DB, brother...you need to get over your Jared Allen man-crush, it's not going to happen unless the Broncos can not come to terms with Shaun Phillips, even then I would rather see them go with youth and make a move on Lamarr Houston. But otherwise, you are correct, the timing of this tells me that they're close to deals with multiple players, likely Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie who will take the largest portion, followed by D'Qwell Jackson and then Shaun Phillips, this one move opens up enough to cover three key positions while not really losing much beyond a nickel corner and the defensive leadership closest to what Manning brings on the other side of the ball. His leadership is the biggest loss, but at this stage the Broncos need long-term talent, Phillips is a temporary need but DRC and Jackson both make this defense better.

Oh, and as for Decker, look for the Broncos to let him go without much of a fuss, they have bigger needs and he's easily replaceable.

Umm Lamar Houston isnt going to come cheap either. Looks like we are not going to retain Ayers so id say DE is going to be a priority. Allen has never won a ring.....so I think he goes to a contender.

chazoe60
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
5 his is why I love the name on the front of the jersey more than the one on the back. The business aspect of sports can really suck for fans but it is unavoidable.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
The other major cuts should be coming soon as well, Chris Kuper which frees up an additional 4 mil and Joel Dreessen which will free up another 2.5 million, along with Bailey that is 17.5 million that can be spent on productive assets and long-term contracts.

OB
03-05-2014, 10:53 PM
I seriously teared up when this news came over my phone. I was really hoping they could work something out. I hope he is not leaving on a bad note but its hard to believe this was a friendly mutual agreement.

I haven't been a fan of his play for two years but I am a staunch believer in loyalty and commitment from a player and a team. I truly wished he could have stayed at some level. I'm with Zweems -- I hope he retires.

broncofaninfla
03-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Shefter is saying Champ doesn't want to retire yet and suggested his home state of Georgia as a possible destination with the Falcons.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Umm Lamar Houston isnt going to come cheap either. Looks like we are not going to retain Ayers so id say DE is going to be a priority. Allen has never won a ring.....so I think he goes to a contender.

He'll likely go to New England or San Francisco, as I said...unless the conversations between Phillips and the Broncos turn sour, then Allen's name is not likely even being brought up - yet. If talks hit a snag, then I expect his name to be atop the list along with Houston, I would prefer youth, but I understand why you'd like to see Allen in a Broncos' uniform, and I wouldn't mind either, just don't see it right now.

weazel
03-05-2014, 10:58 PM
This sucks but according to Elway he was going to sit down with Champ personally. I'm sure it was a mutually agreed upon move and they are going to allow Champ to test the market. I really wanted that last Super Bowl for him.

No matter what he will always be a Bronco to me. Class act until the end.

Yep, it's too bad the team didn't want the Superbowl as bad as the fans did

CrazyHorse
03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Sounds like there's little chance of him coming back with massive pay cut.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2014, 11:17 PM
The Denver Broncos will release veteran cornerback Champ Bailey, the team's longest tenured player, rather than pay him a $9 million salary in 2014.

Bailey, 35, will become a free agent for the first time in his career.

"I'm good. It's bittersweet. Now I get to go see what is out there," Bailey told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday evening. "I'm looking at the positive side of it."

rest - much more
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/03/05/longtime-cornerback-champ-bailey-released/6104473/

Lancane
03-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Goodbye Champ, you'll always be Mr. Bronco of the past decade, good luck and we'll save you a spot at the table when you decide to hang it up.

WTE
03-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Maybe he can come to NE and move to safety.

dogfish
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
yep. . .asummed it was coming, and it makes sense-- still REALLY sucks. . . he's one of my all-time favorite broncos, and one of the best players to ever wear the jersey. . . huge respect and appreciation to the man for his years of professionalism, and frequently sensational play. . . in his prime years, he was as good as anyone, and a pure delight for a football fan to watch. . .

i'd love to have him back for one more run at it, if they can make the numbers work, and the interest is there. . . if not, best of luck to a broncos legend-- both in football (when he's not playing us, of course), and even more so in life beyond. . .

:salute: :salute:

dogfish
03-05-2014, 11:30 PM
He'll likely go to New England or San Francisco, as I said...unless the conversations between Phillips and the Broncos turn sour, then Allen's name is not likely even being brought up - yet. If talks hit a snag, then I expect his name to be atop the list along with Houston, I would prefer youth, but I understand why you'd like to see Allen in a Broncos' uniform, and I wouldn't mind either, just don't see it right now.

stop it, cane. . . you'll take my jared allen mancrush/ideal free agency scenario from me when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. . . :coffee:

:laugh:

MasterShake
03-05-2014, 11:31 PM
It is stuff like this that makes me glad fans like me aren't in charge of personnel decisions. I'd be like, "Atwater, you ok man? I know you have lost a step and only got three tackles last year but I want to resign you. Yes, I know you are 47 years old… hear me out. 14 million a year sound good? All guaranteed? Ok. Sweet. Sign here. And could you sign my jersey too?"

I love the Broncos and Bailey but we are not going to get better by being sentimental. The last person to know their career may be over is the one who should know it first. Elway and company have to make those hard decisions, and I'm glad they do. Ultimately if last season taught me anything is that we need to get younger and meaner. Champ is neither right now.

Pudge
03-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Maybe I'm just drunk, but this brought a tear to my eye. I love champ and I'll wear his jersey with pride for years to come. Everyone loves Elam and Sharpe even though they left here. He might sign a one day contract to retire as a bronco. I would love that.

Pudge
03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
It is stuff like this that makes me glad fans like me aren't in charge of personnel decisions. I'd be like, "Atwater, you ok man? I know you have lost a step and only got three tackles last year but I want to resign you. Yes, I know you are 47 years old… hear me out. 14 million a year sound good? All guaranteed? Ok. Sweet. Sign here. And could you sign my jersey too?" I love the Broncos and Bailey but we are not going to get better by being sentimental. The last person to know their career may be over is the one who should know it first. Elway and company have to make those hard decisions, and I'm glad they do. Ultimately if last season taught me anything is that we need to get younger and meaner. Champ is neither right now.

I can't high five this enough

MasterShake
03-05-2014, 11:38 PM
I can't high five this enough

Thank you sir, I hope I can produce a good thought every now and then!

Another thing I keep thinking is as awful as I feel right now, how did it feel to be a Colts fan when Manning was released? Hard to wrap your head around. Last time I was upset like this was probably Sharpe going to Baltimore or Atwater to the Jets. You just don't see players with teams for a decade plus anymore.

Lancane
03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
It is stuff like this that makes me glad fans like me aren't in charge of personnel decisions. I'd be like, "Atwater, you ok man? I know you have lost a step and only got three tackles last year but I want to resign you. Yes, I know you are 47 years old… hear me out. 14 million a year sound good? All guaranteed? Ok. Sweet. Sign here. And could you sign my jersey too?"

I love the Broncos and Bailey but we are not going to get better by being sentimental. The last person to know their career may be over is the one who should know it first. Elway and company have to make those hard decisions, and I'm glad they do. Ultimately if last season taught me anything is that we need to get younger and meaner. Champ is neither right now.

Exactly... I been saying this since the off-season began and others have to but then it's a shocker when it happens. Well, my question to them is who would you rather have? Champ Bailey or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, D'Qwell Jackson, Shaun Phillips all for the same price? I love Champ, but he has lost a step which is obvious, his coverage skills have diminished and moving him to safety at the same price is utterly asinine, and even then I don't see it being successful for a long time but likely for a short period. Is it tough? Of course, you can not part with a classy athlete of his caliber and not be emotionally rankled by it...but it had to be done for the sake of the entire team. Keeping him though over more capable talent was a disservice to his teammates and the organization.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 11:45 PM
The other major cuts should be coming soon as well, Chris Kuper which frees up an additional 4 mil and Joel Dreessen which will free up another 2.5 million, along with Bailey that is 17.5 million that can be spent on productive assets and long-term contracts.

We are going to have alot more cap space than that.

6.5 that can be rolled to our ALREADY available space we would have had. Then the cap is going to increase to 133. That 10 mill extra.

Releasing Champ creates another 9-10 mill plus Kuper, Dreesen and whoever else.

I think we end up around 28 mill in cap room when its all said and done. Which is WHY I think keeping Decker is in the realm of possibility after he test the market.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Maybe he can come to NE and move to safety.

shut

up

Simple Jaded
03-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Like a DE?

ShaneFalco
03-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Champ will prove us wrong. Shouldnt have let him go.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2014, 12:23 AM

Should they have kept him at $10 mil?

Dzone
03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
A defense with a healthy Von, D Jackson , Jared Allen a healthy Wolfe, Phillips, DRC, Harris, Moore, maybe Vickerson..and any help in the draft..things could be looking up

NightTerror218
03-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Would love to see 24 retired into ring of fame. But bailey even knew he lost a step when he said he would move to safety.

I will miss the leadership hope the youngsters learned a lot while they could.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Chris Harris (facebook)

Blessed to be able lineup opposite Champ and learn from a Great. Will def be missed.

Lancane
03-06-2014, 12:50 AM

He's gotten slower each of the past three seasons, each with fewer passes defended, his coverage skills have diminished to about average and his turnover ratio has fallen to about nada. He's not going to prove a damn thing, he'll be a number two corner or nickel wherever he ends up, which is alright, but we can not afford a 10 million dollar nickel or quasi-wannabe safety, not when we have better options and bigger needs.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Cecil Lammey is suggesting TJ Ward or Byrd to help fill the void at safety.

Lancane
03-06-2014, 12:54 AM

I'd love to see either of those two safeties in a Broncos' uniform, Ward is a hard hitting SOB with no real weaknesses and Byrd is one of the best coverage safeties in the league.

Dapper Dan
03-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Damn. I just saw this. Damn. This really sucks. I wish he could find his way back to the Broncos.

Magnificent Seven
03-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I was surprised to hear about releasing Champ Bailey. It was tough to see him go. He had a great career with the Broncos. Thanks, Champ!

Dapper Dan
03-06-2014, 01:10 AM
He obviously couldn't stay for that kind of money. But he won't get big money anywhere he goes. I'd love to see him finish up in Denver. I hate seeing guys bounce around at the end of their career.

ShaneFalco
03-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Should they have kept him at $10 mil?

well when you put it like that.... i dont think so. Just sucks, i would have tried everything possible to keep him here for 1 more year.

dont get me excited.

He obviously couldn't stay for that kind of money. But he won't get big money anywhere he goes. I'd love to see him finish up in Denver. I hate seeing guys bounce around at the end of their career.yea especially when they have played for a single team so long.

toodles_belle
03-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Do you guys think he will sign a one-day contract with the broncos once he finally decides to retire .. so he can retire as a bronco? I can't tell if the split was amicable.

As much as I understand the decision, this is still so heartbreaking. I wouldve loved to see him finish his last year in denver. The tweets of his teammates made me cry, not gonna lie. They really loved and respected him. He was a leader in the locker room no doubt.

Peter Burns of the Denver pressbox tweeted about having a thankyouchamp rally. I really hope they push through with it because champ deserves it. He needs a warm sendoff from us fans.

luckyseven
03-06-2014, 01:25 AM
It really, really hurts that we could never win this guy a title with all he gave to the Broncos. Then to just flat out cut him after the Super Bowl loss. I'm really shocked we could not work out a restructure with him.

Takes two to get a contract. Might be him not John

Pudge
03-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Do you guys think he will sign a one-day contract with the broncos once he finally decides to retire .. so he can retire as a bronco? I can't tell if the split was amicable. As much as I understand the decision, this is still so heartbreaking. I wouldve loved to see him finish his last year in denver. The tweets of his teammates made me cry, not gonna lie. They really loved and respected him. He was a leader in the locker room no doubt. Peter Burns of the Denver pressbox tweeted about having a thankyouchamp rally. I really hope they push through with it because champ deserves it. He needs a warm sendoff from us fans.

I posted this earlier in the thread

Maybe I'm just drunk, but this brought a tear to my eye. I love champ and I'll wear his jersey with pride for years to come. Everyone loves Elam and Sharpe even though they left here. He might sign a one day contract to retire as a bronco. I would love that.

luckyseven
03-06-2014, 01:40 AM

Makes sense to me.

He was due a million dollar roster bonus the 4th day of the new season.

This saves the cap 10mil and zero dead money.

Something that had to be done.

Timmy!
03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Knew it was coming, and it makes sense. Thanks Champ.

sneakers
03-06-2014, 02:47 AM
thanks for the mammaries

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 03:43 AM
Maybe I'm just drunk, but this brought a tear to my eye. I love Champ and I'll wear his jersey with pride for years to come. Everyone loves Elam and Sharpe even though they left here. He might sign a one day contract to retire as a Bronco. I would love that.

You are not drunk, just being a Broncos fan. I think we would all love it if he signs a one-day retirement contract in Denver.

Would love to see 24 retired into ring of fame. But Bailey even knew he lost a step when he said he would move to safety.

I will miss the leadership hope the youngsters learned a lot while they could.

His comments about moving to safety are why this thread surprised me. I thought John Elway would rather make Champ Bailey take a pay cut to play safety than tell him to go find another job.

DRC will take over the leadership role if he gets the $10 million that would have gone to Bailey this year.

Do you guys think he will sign a one-day contract with the Broncos once he finally decides to retire so he can retire as a Bronco? I can't tell if the split was amicable.

As much as I understand the decision, this is still so heartbreaking. I wouldve loved to see him finish his last year in Denver. The tweets of his teammates made me cry, not gonna lie. They really loved and respected him. He was a leader in the locker room no doubt.

Peter Burns of the Denver press box tweeted about having a thankyouchamp rally. I really hope they push through with it because champ deserves it. He needs a warm sendoff from us fans.

It was not like how Peyton Manning got thrown out of Indianapolis, but I am not sure "amicable" is the right word. It was probably a mutual agreement because Bailey knows how the business aspect of the NFL works and that, at age 35, he is not fast enough to start at cornerback anymore. But I am sure he is not happy about it after being a Bronco for so many years and ending his tenure in Denver with the worst game of his life.

Thank you sir, I hope I can produce a good thought every now and then!

Another thing I keep thinking is as awful as I feel right now, how did it feel to be a Colts fan when Manning was released? Hard to wrap your head around. Last time I was upset like this was probably Sharpe going to Baltimore or Atwater to the Jets. You just don't see players with teams for a decade plus anymore.

I am not a Colts fan, but I followed the story. Jim Irsay made himself look like a total idiot every time he tweeted something about Peyton Manning while little brother Eli was getting ready to play in Super Bowl 46. I can't guess what Colts fans were thinking, but their reaction was probably similar to Packers fans about Brett Favre's ugly departure.

Superchop 7
03-06-2014, 06:01 AM
It was a no brainer decision for Broncos, gave us some great years but his play is headed south.

Northman
03-06-2014, 06:06 AM
Good move, makes sense.

Northman
03-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Yep, as unpopular as this is its whats best for the team.

Northman
03-06-2014, 06:26 AM

I dont know, i would of done something with him 2 years ago. It was easy for me to see he wasnt the same quite a while back.

Bronco9798
03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Told you he would be cut this off-season. I remember all the crap I caught for even mentioning such a mean thing. He's soon to be 36 years old and his play was declining. I'm surprised by all the surprise. Time to move on.

BroncoJoe
03-06-2014, 08:33 AM
It is always tough to say goodbye, but in all honesty I'm personally ready to move on. It was clear he wasn't the same player - even before this year. He really should retire.

TXBRONC
03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Well that sucks big time.

VonDoom
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM

This might be my favorite post in this thread. You pretty much summed up how I feel. I forgot to write "younger and meaner" in my post, but I was thinking those exact words.

broncofaninfla
03-06-2014, 10:07 AM
A Schefter- With Denver set to release Champ Bailey, the Broncos will now only have two CB's- counting a combined $1.3 million against the cap- under contract.

Buff
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm glad they didn't ask him to take less money. Ultimately he would have just continued his decline and delayed the inevitable. It's time.

Krugan
03-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Well, it sucks.

Would be refreshing to see some of these long time vets retire here, but its the way the league is.

Sure hope they are close to signing DRC, but I have reservations about him as well. Seems to not entirely have his heart in the game, refering to the retirement quotes that are out there.

I do like the idea of having the $10 mil off the books and hopefully invested into some solid help in the spots lacking, cough "MLB" cough.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

Just about every Broncos player I follow on Twitter or Instagram has posted some sort of message for Champ. Rarely see a guy that respected.

topscribe
03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Champ was an institution here. I'm saddened to no ends.

The only opponent who could get the best of you, Champ, was Father Time.
Thank you for everything you were on and off the field. I just hope that,
when you are inducted to the Hall of Fame, you will go in as a Bronco.

tubby
03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Told you he would be cut this off-season. I remember all the crap I caught for even mentioning such a mean thing. He's soon to be 36 years old and his play was declining. I'm surprised by all the surprise. Time to move on.

Actually you suggested he would retire. But don't let that stop you from beating your chest like a buffoon.

Dapper Dan
03-06-2014, 01:11 PM
We can't go through a season without losing a bunch of DBs to injury. I hope he comes back to play some safety. We have a lot of question marks a DB right now.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
We can't go through a season without losing a bunch of DBs to injury. I hope he comes back to play some safety. We have a lot of question marks a DB right now.

Fortunately, the FA market and draft are loaded with answers

MileHighCrew
03-06-2014, 01:16 PM
The greatest Broncos since Elway. I hope he one day comes back to the team as a coach or in someway. But as many have said he has slipped and it is time to move on.

My Champ jersey much like my Elway jersey will continued to be worn with pride as a salute to an all time great Bronco!!!

tomjonesrocks
03-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Champ stayed when this team was at its lowest. In addition to the great years will always remember that.

Elway had a tough decision to make here and he made it. Can't really go from 10M a season to what he needs to get down to without a release. It sucks. Still hate to hear Champ say "they're not dwelling on it" though.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Mike Pops Adams ‏@MDOTADAMS20 3h

He made the game so easy me! I Wish we could have gotten that ring together, but I know your quest to… http://instagram.com/p/lNK9Itqrfj/

David BRUTON JR. ‏@D_Brut30 13h

#picstitch #honored #champ #halloffame #truepro #respect http://instagram.com/p/lMHSLRBkQ9/

David BRUTON JR. ‏@D_Brut30 13h

5 years with Champ! Can't believe 1 of the greatest is no longer here. Learned more than u can imagine from him. More than a teammate 4 sure

Chris Harris ‏@ChrisHarrisJr 13h

Blessed to be able lineup opposite Champ and learn from a Great . Will def be missed . http://instagram.com/p/lMEzeXAfmM/

Demaryius Thomas ‏@DemaryiusT 13h

Been a honor to be able to say I went head to head with this man here. Will be missed for sure... pic.twitter.com/XnjbSjGfEu

Danny Trevathan ‏@Grindin_59 14h

Champ. You taught me a lot! It's been a damn honor and a privilege bruh. #straightup #truepro #hallofFame

Gerell Robinson ‏@G_Rob10 14h

I didnt realize today would be the last day i see Champ at the facility.. My heart hurts.. Class act individual

weazel
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM
The greatest Broncos since Elway. I hope he one day comes back to the team as a coach or in someway. But as many have said he has slipped and it is time to move on.

My Champ jersey much like my Elway jersey will continued to be worn with pride as a salute to an all time great Bronco!!!

thats why I wear my Javon Walker threads! :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
In an NFL locker room, where there will always be far fewer nameplates than people who would like them, there might be no higher standing, no more significant sign of respect than the double locker -- two lockers, side-by-side, assigned to one player.

Not just some extra room to toss dirty laundry or another box of shoes from a zealous sneaker-company rep or created because a roster move was made on the player with the locker next to you. No, two lockers, is awarded for service and standing.

This past season the Broncos had two players with two lockers. Peyton Manning and Champ Bailey. Membership in the future-Hall-of-Fame club, it seems, has its privileges.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5455/bailey10-year-run-special-for-broncos

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
It is always tough to say goodbye, but in all honesty I'm personally ready to move on. It was clear he wasn't the same player - even before this year. He really should retire.

Champ can still play as a nickel back. He is just not starter material anymore. I like the fact that he would rather play safety or accept a backup role than retire.

The way people are talking about how hard it is to say goodbye, John Elway must be having memories of the reactions to his retirement.

Fortunately, the FA market and draft are loaded with answers

Do you have any specific players in mind? Please don't say Aqib Talib - that guy has character issues.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
from same article:

The Broncos did not need the salary-cap space moving Bailey’s $10 million cap figure off the books will provide. They had no legitimate financial pressure to make the move, no immediate, pressing need to talk to Bailey about a contract reduction with the threat of his release hanging over the proceedings, not with the cap having settled in at $133 million per team.

Even Bailey’s $1 million roster bonus, due March 15, smaller than the $4.5 million roster bonus he received in 2011 or the $3 million roster bonus in 2012 or even the $1.25 million roster bonus last season, did not offer any real incentive to make a move.

No, this was a football decision. One made about one of the greatest players to wear the franchise’s uniform, a 12-time Pro Bowl selection who is headed for the team’s Ring of Fame after his 10 seasons in Denver.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5455/bailey10-year-run-special-for-broncos

after reading this, I feel it would have been much smarter to keep him for his leadership, his knowledge, etc.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
That was pretty obvious because no pay cut was offered, but it is still true $10 million is way too much for a backup/nickel back and cutting Champ Bailey freed up more money for re-signing Chris Harris and DRC.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Do you have any specific players in mind? Please don't say Aqib Talib - that guy has character issues.

Vontae Davis, Sam Shields, Alterraun Verner, Captain Munnerlyn, Walter Thurmond, Tarell Brown, Asante Samuel...

I'm not saying all of them are elite by any means, but there are quite a few options out there.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Vontae Davis, Sam Shields, Alterraun Verner, Captain Munnerlyn, Walter Thurmond, Tarell Brown, Asante Samuel...

I'm not saying all of them are elite by any means, but there are quite a few options out there.

I like Sam Shields. Why the Packers don't want to re-sign him is beyond me. Not sure if the Panthers are trying to keep Captain Munnerlyn.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I like Sam Shields. Why the Packers don't want to re-sign him is beyond me. Not sure if the Panthers are trying to keep Captain Munnerlyn.

Apparently Shields and the Pack are more than a million apart annually in contract talks and Carolina is letting Munnerlyn test the market due to their cap issues

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 02:23 PM
The Denver Broncos made it official today, cutting 12-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

“This was a difficult decision for our team with everything that Champ Bailey has meant to the Denver Broncos and this community over the last 10 years,” Broncos general manager John Elway said. “Without question, he’s among the best cornerbacks to ever play the game and one of the finest players in the history of the Broncos. You couldn’t ask for more in a player than what Champ brought to this team. His combination of elite talent, class, leadership and competitiveness made him one of the all-time greats.

“On behalf of everyone with the Broncos, I wish Champ all the best and thank him for everything he did for this franchise. Champ will always be a Bronco. We look forward to his Ring of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame election in the years ahead.”

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-official-cut-champ-bailey-185100476--nfl.html

Lancane
03-06-2014, 02:29 PM
from same article:

after reading this, I feel it would have been much smarter to keep him for his leadership, his knowledge, etc.

It was more then a simple football decision, I love how some columnists are turning this into more then it really is or simplifying it in order to make the story more dramatic. Denver has to be smart and look at this season as the last they'll have Manning (whether or not it is) and make moves accordingly. It's no secret that Bailey became a liability at times for the defense, add in that he would receive 10 mil just was not worth it. I still fully expect Joel Dreessen and Chris Kuper to be cut because they bring little to the table for the money they're receiving.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:45 PM
It was more then a simple football decision, I love how some columnists are turning this into more then it really is or simplifying it in order to make the story more dramatic. Denver has to be smart and look at this season as the last they'll have Manning (whether or not it is) and make moves accordingly. It's no secret that Bailey became a liability at times for the defense, add in that he would receive 10 mil just was not worth it. I still fully expect Joel Dreessen and Chris Kuper to be cut because they bring little to the table for the money they're receiving.

The media can't help it. They know what saving $10 million would do during contract talks with Chris Harris and DRC. who have earned their high salaries. This is an easy story to make more dramatic.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
03-06-2014, 02:45 PM
A defense that could use some leadership just lost its best leader…

I'll miss Champ as much as anyone. Sad to see him go.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 02:49 PM
The media can't help it. They know what saving $10 million would do during contract talks with Chris Harris and DRC. who have earned their high salaries. This is an easy story to make more dramatic.

If Brent Grimes contract is any indicator of the market, it might take all 10 mil just to resign DRC

Nomad
03-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the years as a BRONCO, Champ!

Slick
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Champ was a great player, and he probably taught the young guys a lot, but I don't think his leadership is irreplaceable.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
A defense that could use some leadership just lost its best leader…

I totally agree - what would make it even worse is if he signs with Oakland, SD, or KC

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:52 PM
A defense that could use some leadership just lost its best leader.

I agree Champ Bailey is a great leader, but the most important one for a defense is JDR because he is the DC and we still have him. That said, I also wish Bailey could stay in Denver until he retires.

WTE
03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I can feel your pain. I felt the same way recently after NE cut Steven Gregory.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I totally agree - what would make it even worse is if he signs with Oakland, SD, or KC.

After giving his heart and soul to the Broncos for a decade, I can't imagine Champ doing that to us.

If Mike Shanahan had not been fired by the Redskins, I could see him going back to Washington to retire where he started.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
03-06-2014, 02:57 PM
****. Sort of inevitable but a sad day nonetheless. Was hoping that they could come to an agreement and work something out.

Thank you for everything, Champ. You were a consummate leader both on and off the field and I for one will miss you. Pains me that we won't get to see you lift the Lombardi trophy as a Bronco.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 1h

Just talked to Omar Boldin. He found out this morning about Champ. Says what Champ brings to lockeroom will be missed as much as his play

Just talked by phone with Broncos Malik Jackson. He didn't know Champ was done with Broncos until I told him. He's stunned to say the least

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Sort of inevitable but a sad day nonetheless. Was hoping that they could come to an agreement and work something out.

Thank you for everything, Champ. You were a consummate leader both on and off the field and I for one will miss you. Pains me that we won't get to see you lift the Lombardi trophy as a Bronco.

Especially considering his name is Champ. He will have to be known as an AFC "champ" after missing out on a Super Bowl ring.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Just talked to Omar Boldin. He found out this morning about Champ. Says what Champ brings to lockeroom will be missed as much as his play

Just talked by phone with Broncos Malik Jackson. He didn't know Champ was done with Broncos until I told him. He's stunned to say the least

Who is Tom Helmer?

I bet a lot of players were stunned when they heard the news.

Edit: I did not think I would reach 50 posts so fast.

Buff
03-06-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm sort of annoyed by this Peter King tweet:

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 15h

Fairly amazing day. Champ Bailey, Devin Hester--both will get HoF consideration--whacked. Tough business.

How the hell do you compare Devin Hester's career to Champ Bailey's? Champ Bailey is a surefire no-brainer HOFer. Hester is a fringe candidate as a specialist. I don't understand what he was thinking.

Timmy!
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm sort of annoyed by this Peter King tweet:

How the hell do you compare Devin Hester's career to Champ Bailey's? Champ Bailey is a surefire no-brainer HOFer. Hester is a fringe candidate as a specialist. I don't understand what he was thinking.

Hall of fame consideration. Lol. Ya, and Peyton Manning is an above average qb.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Who is Tom Helmer?

I bet a lot of players were stunned when they heard the news.

Edit: I did not think I would reach 50 posts so fast.

Tom Helmer is one of the sports guys on cbs4 in Denver, along with Vic Lombardi

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 03:29 PM
After giving his heart and soul to the Broncos for a decade, I can't imagine Champ doing that to us.

If Mike Shanahan had not been fired by the Redskins, I could see him going back to Washington to retire where he started.

Champ still wants to play football. If his best offer comes from Oakland, SD, or KC, why would he not take it?

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Champ still wants to play football. If his best offer comes from Oakland, SD, or KC, why would he not take it?

If its an AFCW team then I could only see him going to KC. Their defense is already really good and he would just add to that. Wouldnt blame him if he did, KC was a playoff team last year.

But, I could see him going to the Packers, SF or NE.

Bronco9798
03-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Actually you suggested he would retire. But don't let that stop you from beating your chest like a buffoon.

I said he was done and said he would be retired, yes. Whatever, he's gone. That was my point. The front office recognizes that. Anybody with any football sense knew he was done. And yes, I beat my chest like a buffoon, as I should.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2014, 04:43 PM
I said he was done and said he would be retired, yes. Whatever, he's gone. That was my point. The front office recognizes that. Anybody with any football sense knew he was done. And yes, I beat my chest like a buffoon, as I should.

Why? Nearly everyone was saying that Champ would be cut due to his salary cap hit. Not exactly being Nostradomous.

Northman
03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
why? Nearly everyone was saying that champ would be cut due to his salary cap hit. Not exactly being nostraldoomus. .

fiy

Bronco9798
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Why? Nearly everyone was saying that Champ would be cut due to his salary cap hit. Not exactly being Nostradomous.

Not exactly true, but it's really irrelevant at this point. And no I'm not even close to being Nostradamus. He predicted world history. I was merely talking about an over-aged CB that should of been released or retire.

tomjonesrocks
03-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Fat Man had a piece that suggested Denver may very well have talked numbers with Champ before his release, but if they couldn't come to an agreement it wouldn't help either side to release the numbers or even disclose some talks took place. Thought it was an interesting take.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Coach Fox and John Elway talk to Broncos TV about the difficult decision to release Champ Bailey.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Fox-Elway-on-Bailey-Release/9847aadc-4db2-47b6-9453-b25f059dd1d1

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It was a decade ago this week that Champ Bailey stood at the lectern in the Broncos' team meeting room and conveyed his intentions for his new job with a new team.

"I can promise one thing to the owner, the coach and my teammates -- that they'll get 110 percent out of me every day," Bailey said. "I will be a class guy, I will do the right thing, and I won't be a disappointment, I can guarantee that."

It was a promise that he kept and exceeded, through tumultuous seasons, organizational changes, the club's gradual five-year descent to the AFC's cellar and its subsequent rise back to the NFL's elite.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/A-True-Champ/3a535dd4-d8c8-47ca-bd8a-8d9ddacb1800

Dapper Dan
03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Fat Man had a piece that suggested Denver may very well have talked numbers with Champ before his release, but if they couldn't come to an agreement it wouldn't help either side to release the numbers or even disclose some talks took place. Thought it was an interesting take.

I bet the NSA knows.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 06:40 PM
The Broncos are grateful for the time Champ Bailey was in Denver and thank him for everything he's done for this team and community.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/A-Tribute-to-Champ-Bailey/fb5b622d-ed4c-4805-b180-a53528007195

tubby
03-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Well hopefully this brings some closure for Claymore. The guy about yanked it into a telephone pole when Portis got traded.

Buff
03-06-2014, 06:50 PM

I don't see it. Champ has no reason to lie or protect the Broncos - and he has maintained that the Broncos never discussed keeping him around.

Also - from a business management standpoint - people are never happy about taking a paycut. Especially someone with 15 years experience. I think Elway and Co. realized that a paycut was the wrong way to handle it and made their decision accordingly. Just my two cents from an outsider.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Is it too hard to believe that the Broncos actually wanted to move on from Champ?

36 years old, injured and saves us 10 mill.

I love Champ as a Bronco and thanks for the memories but the time has come to move on.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Well hopefully this brings some closure for Claymore. The guy about yanked it into a telephone pole when Portis got traded.

I hated that trade when it happened. Who knows what would have happened had he stayed here because he went beast mode inI Denver.

But we ended up winning that trade. Champ was shut down in his prime and its a real shame we could never put a real defense around him.

NightTerror218
03-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Business sucks but it is what it is. Can wait to see his number in ring of fame.

I would laugh he came back on vet min.

Touchdown Denver
03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Business sucks but it is what it is. Can wait to see his number in ring of fame.

I would laugh he came back on vet min.

He could come back on the veteran minimum if he signs a one-day contract to retire as a Bronco. That's it. His release was a football decision, not monetary.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 08:13 PM
He could come back on the veteran minimum if he signs a one-day contract to retire as a Bronco. That's it. His release was a football decision, not monetary.

It was nearly 90 percent a monetary decision.

This blows.

Buff
03-06-2014, 08:35 PM

This blows.

He got beat on two ******* plays.

Two.

He played at a Pro Bowl level in 2012-2013. It's lame that revisionists will remember only the Baltimore game. But he was definitely off this year. Yes, a lot of that was likely due to injury, but you can't pay a 15-year vet coming off of a serious injury $10 million banking on a turnaround when it affected his performance last year. And you can't ask a guy like Champ Bailey to take less money and still come back motivated as ever. Like all breakups, this is painful, but it was time to move on.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 08:43 PM
He played at a Pro Bowl level in 2012-2013. It's lame that revisionists will remember only the Baltimore game. But he was definitely off this year. Yes, a lot of that was likely due to injury, but you can't pay a 15-year vet coming off of a serious injury $10 million banking on a turnaround when it affected his performance last year. And you can't ask a guy like Champ Bailey to take less money and still come back motivated as ever. Like all breakups, this is painful, but it was time to move on.

I'm not sure why the general consensus is that you can't ask a formerly great player to take a pay cut when he didn't just have an off year, he had a terrible year. If my production dropped that much, I'd expect to take a hit in the pocket book.

OB
03-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I dont cry over break ups - but I am over this one - it hurts my heart - but I guess this is prolly one reason a woman doesnt really run a football team (and yes there are exceptions to every rule) but if I ran the broncos we'd be $100 mil over cap and everyone on the team would be over 30 and Elway would still be QB - LOL

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure why the general consensus is that you can't ask a formerly great player to take a pay cut when he didn't just have an off year, he had a terrible year. If my production dropped that much, I'd expect to take a hit in the pocket book.

He had an injured year. He tried like hell to come back too early and couldn't perform because of injury not because he just flat couldn't play anymore. Of course his friggin' production dropped, he only played in five games and at least three of those he only played a few plays because he was still injured.

I'm not saying he deserves the $10 mil he was set to make, but come on.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Mo you and I are normally late to the party on this type of stuff. He had an off year because he was injured because he is old. At this point he's a solid nickel and I just can't see him playing a full season outside and doing it at a high level. Corners get old faster than any other position save possibly running back. I love Champ, and I would have loved to see him rework his deal and stay, but that said his skills have slipped a little, and the foot injury is a huge concern for a fast twitch player.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Mo you and I are normally late to the party on this type of stuff. He had an off year because he was injured because he is old. At this point he's a solid nickel and I just can't see him playing a full season outside and doing it at a high level. Corners get old faster than any other position save possibly running back. I love Champ, and I would have loved to see him rework his deal and stay, but that said his skills have slipped a little, and the foot injury is a huge concern for a fast twitch player.

Clady had the same injury. The injury isn't caused by being old.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Clady had the same injury. The injury isn't caused by being old. Dude Clady's injury as an offensive lineman is note nearly as concerning as Champ's. Your premise is flawed. The idea that because Player A is young and he has the same injury as Player B therefore said injury is not linked to age is not valid. Champ is more prone to injury because he is old. It could be another groin or hammy. You don't recover from injuries nearly as quickly when you are older either. 15 years of NFL style wear and tear will break anyone down.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 09:03 PM
The Broncos front office has plans to make this team alot better.

Bet Champ isnt the only guy getting cut either.

With the roll over, the cap space we already would have had, the cap increase and cutting a few players (Champ, Kuper, Dreesen or Tamme) we will be close to 28-30 mill in cap space. We must win now and that money MUST go to players that help us reach that goal.

Look for Elway to make yet another spalsh in FA this offseason. The dude is all in and serious as cancer when it comes to making the Broncos a championship team.

Sucks to lose players but I am more sentimental about a Lombardi trophy than I am any individual.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I for one truly wished the Broncos would have kept him. I agree with what Brian Shaw said today.

http://bcove.me/djaxpv52

turftoad
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Mo, I love Bailey too. I'm bummed that he's not a Bronco anymore.

That said, he'll be 36 when the season starts. His play had declined before this last year and the injury. This was inevitable. Time is not on Champs side. The sooner we can get over it the better.

Buff
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM

We could have asked him to take less and he probably would have. It's not that we have to dance around his ego, it's just that you're de-incentivizing a player who is already declining. It's not a recipe for a successful outcome imo.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Dude Clady's injury as an offensive lineman is note nearly as concerning as Champ's. Your premise is flawed. The idea that because Player A is young and he has the same injury as Player B therefore said injury is not linked to age is not valid. Champ is more prone to injury because he is old. It could be another groin or hammy. You don't recover from injuries nearly as quickly when you are older either. 15 years of NFL style wear and tear will break anyone down.

None of this makes any logical sense. They both had a plantar fascia injury. But one was caused by age, and the other was not? They were both caused by the same thing, regardless of age. In this case, the older player recovered quicker than the younger one, but he doesn't recover quickly now because he is old? We must be really really worried about Clady with this logic.

And it wasn't "another" groin or hammy, so that's not even a valid discussion. Considering that before this he has missed 10 games in 10 years, that criticism is irrelevant and false.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 09:11 PM

We could have asked him to take less and he probably would have. It's not that we have to dance around his ego, it's just that you're de-incentivizing a player who is already declining. It's not a recipe for a successful outcome imo.. He is one guy I wouldn't worry about that with. Consummate pro and motivated to win. I really doubt that factored into the decision not to rework the deal.

OB
03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
We could have asked him to take less and he probably would have. It's not that we have to dance around his ego, it's just that you're de-incentivizing a player who is already declining. It's not a recipe for a successful outcome imo.

Did we ask him? Did he decline? I havent read any articles (didnt have time today - too busy still trying to get out of work as I type - which is one of the reasons Im probably still here LOL)

But did we just cut him and leave him high and dry or did they try to work something out and the parties just couldnt come to terms?

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Mo, I love Bailey too. I'm bummed that he's not a Bronco anymore.

That said, he'll be 36 when the season starts. His play had declined before this last year and the injury. This was inevitable. Time is not on Champs side. The sooner we can get over it the better.

I will not try to belabor this, so I'll try to not say anything, I lasted nine pages...

He was a top 4 corner in the league in 2012. That was 13 months ago not five year.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Dude Clady's injury as an offensive lineman is note nearly as concerning as Champ's. Your premise is flawed. The idea that because Player A is young and he has the same injury as Player B therefore said injury is not linked to age is not valid. Champ is more prone to injury because he is old. It could be another groin or hammy. You don't recover from injuries nearly as quickly when you are older either. 15 years of NFL style wear and tear will break anyone down.

None of this makes any logical sense. They both had a plantar fascia injury. But one was caused by age, and the other was not? They were both caused by the same thing, regardless of age.

And it wasn't "another" groin or hammy, so that's not even a valid discussion. Considering that before this he has missed 10 games in 10 years, that criticism is irrelevant and false.. Youre not tracking because you're emotions are in the way. Anyone can get an injury at any age. Older dudes are more prone to injury and take longer to recover. Missing 10 games due to injury at 35 is a bigger concern than at 25.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Did we ask him? Did he decline? I havent read any articles (didnt have time today - too busy still trying to get out of work as I type - which is one of the reasons Im probably still here LOL)

But did we just cut him and leave him high and dry or did they try to work something out and the parties just couldnt come to terms?

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 23h

Buff
03-06-2014, 09:22 PM
. He is one guy I wouldn't worry about that with. Consummate pro and motivated to win. I really doubt that factored into the decision not to rework the deal.

I think salary, injury, age and production were all more important factors - but Champ is a very prideful guy - so you either bring back the Champ Bailey who we've grown accustomed to, at the salary he's accustomed to, or not at all. No sense in telling him that his play has declined but that we still want him back. That just seems like you're inviting bad locker room chemistry at that point and undermining the meritocracy a little as well.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 9h

One more note on Champ hitting FA: "The good thing is, I feel good about where I am financially, so I don’t have that burden on me."

OB
03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 23h

That stings a little :(

Buff
03-06-2014, 09:30 PM
I will not try to belabor this, so I'll try to not say anything, I lasted nine pages...

He was a top 4 corner in the league in 2012. That was 13 months ago not five year.

I think there is some merit to this point. I've always felt like NFL teams were too quick to cast aging players aside.

But I also have learned over the years there there is a lot of risk management behind the scenes that we're not privy to. There is a reason all NFL teams are constantly obsessed with getting younger. The drop off is more about recovery time and increased injury risk than it is about visible on-field decline... The odds of Champ ever returning to 2012 form are stacked against him. You've gotta go with the probabilities as a GM.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
The people who are arguing he played poorly in 2012 just weren't paying attention. Neither are the people who think a major injury for a 35 year old fast twitch player isn't very concerning.

Traveler
03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 9h

One more note on Champ hitting FA: "The good thing is, I feel good about where I am financially, so I don’t have that burden on me."

I would hope he is financially stable. $96 million over ten years, Champ should be set for the remainder of his life. Good luck Champ! You are one of the greats.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2014, 01:32 PM
"It's unfortunate frankly that he tried to play hurt this year," said Bailey's agent Jack Reale. "Because most people with that injury would wind up on IR (injured reserve). But he felt this was a year they were going to go to the Super Bowl, and he was dadgum if he was going to watch that game from the press box or sidelines.

"So he tried to get it done. And unfortunately everybody wants to judge him based on playing hurt. Which is how it goes in the league. Rarely, if ever do you get an 'attaboy' if you don't play as well hurt as you do when you're healthy."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25288770/champ-bailey-released-by-broncos

Ravage!!!
03-07-2014, 01:40 PM
I give Champ for playing hurt, but it was just time. Saw this coming, so it just isn't shocking. I've had time to deal with the realization that Champ wasn't going to be a Bronco. I think the signs were alllllll over the place that his time was up, here.

NightTerror218
03-07-2014, 02:24 PM

He was released because he is not playing at $10 million value. At vet min for solid depth and leadership why not? I would take him as SB contender.

Touchdown Denver
03-07-2014, 05:07 PM

If it was more about money than performance, John Elway would have asked Champ Bailey to take a pay cut. He never even thought about doing that.

Unfortunately when the last game of a statistically great season is on national TV people who can't watch many Broncos games because of where they live are stuck only remembering the worst game of his career. Without the benefit of NFL Sunday Ticket (I live in a condo where satellites are not allowed for cosmetic reasons), I can only think about Champ getting burned by Baltimore's Torrey Smith all day and Dan Dierdorf saying at halftime, "Somebody needs to help Champ Bailey." So I have to remind myself that was the first time Bailey showed his age.

Elway could have asked him to take a pay cut. The reason he didn't was he knew it was time to move on from Bailey. I am sure it was as painful for him as anyone else to make that decision.

He was released because he is not playing at $10 million value. At vet min for solid depth and leadership why not? I would take him as SB contender.

He can play safety or nickel back at the veteran minimum value, but that would be a wasted roster spot and he would not be happy with that role. He will like getting a chance to start at corner somewhere else.

Bronco9798
03-07-2014, 06:05 PM

This blows.

It was a monetary issue based on performance. He's not worth 10 million a year giving he is 36 years old and his abilities have dropped tremendously. At his position, as with many positions, you are ran out of the league by the youngsters if you refuse to retire and believe you can still play with a huge salary. It's very obvious the front office and the coaches felt his playing abilities had dwindled enough not offer him less money and keep him. I still have horrible visions of him getting burned by Torrey Smith and never accepting responsibility for those disastrous TD's he gave up. Not once did he ever say, "I take a little responsibility for those TD's." Even this year when he did play, He looked old and slow. Even in the Super Bowl he got beat so bad on that one pass play down around the 5 yard line that it just looked hard for him to keep up and make a play. I'm personally glad he's gone and we saved some money. There was no reason to reconstruct his contract. He just needs to retire.

Bronco9798
03-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Read all your stuff about Champ. You hit it right on the head. I couldn't agree with you more. You actually make sense.

LawDog
03-07-2014, 10:38 PM
It was a monetary issue based on performance. He's not worth 10 million a year giving he is 36 years old and his abilities have dropped tremendously. At his position, as with many positions, you are ran out of the league by the youngsters if you refuse to retire and believe you can still play with a huge salary. It's very obvious the front office and the coaches felt his playing abilities had dwindled enough not offer him less money and keep him. I still have horrible visions of him getting burned by Torrey Smith and never accepting responsibility for those disastrous TD's he gave up. Not once did he ever say, "I take a little responsibility for those TD's." Even this year when he did play, He looked old and slow. Even in the Super Bowl he got beat so bad on that one pass play down around the 5 yard line that it just looked hard for him to keep up and make a play. I'm personally glad he's gone and we saved some money. There was no reason to reconstruct his contract. He just needs to retire.

You, and many others, need to go back and watch that play again. Champ got picked, yet was still able to accelerate and run down the receiver from behind rather than hope the safety would come over. Arguably, Champ was out of position at the beginning of the play which put him in the spot to get picked, but that is likely the result of him playing from the unfamiliar inside rather than his usual corner role.

I bet Champ lands somewhere where he can play CB across from a talented player for a year, maybe two barring injury, and at a pretty decent salary number. He's a corner, doubt he likes nickel, and really only said he'd consider safety because, well, that's what old CB's say.

Assuming I am right, it makes a ton of sense for Elway to let him get out in FA as soon as possible so teams that might consider him don't get locked into other players. Champ still has a lot to give, but wasn't going to play CB for Denver, and this lets him finish up his career doing what he do.

That's the way I see it.

Touchdown Denver
03-08-2014, 02:16 AM
You, and many others, need to go back and watch that play again. Champ got picked, yet was still able to accelerate and run down the receiver from behind rather than hope the safety would come over. Arguably, Champ was out of position at the beginning of the play which put him in the spot to get picked, but that is likely the result of him playing from the unfamiliar inside rather than his usual corner role.

I bet Champ lands somewhere where he can play CB across from a talented player for a year, maybe two barring injury, and at a pretty decent salary number. He's a corner, doubt he likes nickel, and really only said he'd consider safety because, well, that's what old CB's say.

Assuming I am right, it makes a ton of sense for Elway to let him get out in FA as soon as possible so teams that might consider him don't get locked into other players. Champ still has a lot to give, but wasn't going to play CB for Denver, and this lets him finish up his career doing what he do.

That's the way I see it.

That shows us how much Elway respects Bailey. He cares enough to want him to retire as a cornerback, not a nickel or a safety, which he would have been if he was not cut. I just hope Bailey's next team is not one I root against every week.

MOtorboat
03-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Just idiotic.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Just idiotic.

To NOT pay Champ 10 million? You can't tell me you actually believe CHamp is worth that kind of cash at this point. If he's not, the we let him go, but there isn't anything saying we can't make him an offer later after he's had a chance to test the market.

MOtorboat
03-08-2014, 11:34 AM
To NOT pay Champ 10 million? You can't tell me you actually believe CHamp is worth that kind of cash at this point. If he's not, the we let him go, but there isn't anything saying we can't make him an offer later after he's had a chance to test the market.

No. I understand not paying him the full $10 mil he was owed. To not really make any attempt to keep him.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2014, 11:39 AM
No. I understand not paying him the full $10 mil he was owed. To not really make any attempt to keep him.

Ahh.. well, I don't see it that way.

I believe that Elway has had conversations with Champ, and they both have an understanding. Elway isn't the kind of guy that won't keep incommunication with players, especially well respected players.

Elway is going to let Champ go test the market. Giving Champ the FULL opportunity to get the MOST he can get, or find the best offer for him. Releasing him early and giving him the full spectrum to test every avenue instead of holding onto him and letting corners sign and eat up cap space.

MAINLY, while doing this, Elway isn't making the first offer. Not only is he not 'insulting' Champ, but he's not giving another team the opportunity to "up" Elway and the Broncos because they would have the knowledge of what number is already on the table. Now Elway has the chance to know exactly what offers have been made to Champ, and that gives us the range to either up-it, or pass.

Champ knows where he sits with Elway and the Broncos. I wouldn't say this isn't an attempt to keep him, but is the attempt to do what is best for BOTH parties.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2014, 11:58 AM

I totally agree. I am still shocked by this.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Based on Champs' own words, it does not appear there was much of a conversation, other than the Broncos were releasing him.

Bailey said the Broncos did not offer him a pay cut. He was set to earn a $1 million bonus if he was on the roster March 15.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/03/05/longtime-cornerback-champ-bailey-released/6104473/

I see no reason for Champ to say that, if it is not true

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2014, 12:21 PM
from article:

What do the Broncos do now? It's been at least a decade since the team's cornerback stable featured so much uncertainty. The league's free-agent negotiating period opens at 10 p.m. Friday and the market opens for signing contracts at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25292957/after-cutting-champ-bailey-broncos-looking-hired-help

SR
03-08-2014, 12:27 PM
I totally agree. I am still shocked by this.

I'm shocked people are shocked.

underrated29
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't buy it.

The past two weeks all we heard about was conversations about elway and champ....and the broncos negotiations with him when we were looking at Delmas.

I think we made an offer in the 1$ mil range he declined and we said then go find better good luck, etc.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't buy it.

The past two weeks all we heard about was conversations about elway and champ....and the broncos negotiations with him when we were looking at Delmas.

I think we made an offer in the 1$ mil range he declined and we said then go find better good luck, etc.

1 million range? I don't think we asked him to take a 90% paycut.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't buy it.

Where did you hear they were actually negotiating with Champ? We also heard that one of the first things Elway wanted to do was give Coach Fox an extension. As far as I know, that has not happened.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Based on Champs' own words, it does not appear there was much of a conversation, other than the Broncos were releasing him.

See no reason for Champ to say what?

Bailey met with executive vice president John Elway and coach John Fox to be informed of his pending release

Nothing was said as to the specifics of that meeting. Maybe they simply informed him that they couldn't afford his cap hit, and couldn't take the 1 million hit purely for having him on the roster when he COULD get a better offer elsewhere. It could be that we make an offer to bring him back after he talks with othe teams, and we very well may not.

What I don't find to be shocking is that Denver is willing to let a 10 million dollar CB go at age 37, and I don't find it shocking that we aren't willing to be the FIRST offer. Let someone else set the price-range. Also, I'm betting that Elway and Fox are privy to a lot more information in regards to Champs injury and how it's healing, than we are. I think its ok to admit that Champ is on the last couple (at most) years of his career.

Dzone
03-08-2014, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPk-qTPHbg0

Northman
03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Maybe Champ wasnt willing to take a paycut. I wouldnt be so quick to brush it off as Denver didnt attempt to keep him. They may have already had talks long before now and just couldnt come to an agreement.

Northman
03-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Again, i wouldnt be so quick to throw the team under the bus. Its only one side of the story.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Again, i wouldnt be so quick to throw the team under the bus. Its only one side of the story.

The Broncos are probably doing most of their talking to Champ's agent, anyway. Champ probably didn't get the long side of the conversations in person, but Im betting he and his agent have been in close touch. Each party knowing where the other stood. Champ probably already knew that the Broncos weren't willing to come up to what Champ thinks he's worth, and the Broncos knew what Champ and his agent were asking to get. Since they either couldn't come close to one another, there really isn't a need to make offers that wouldn't be worth the time to be refused.

Northman
03-08-2014, 02:51 PM
The Broncos are probably doing most of their talking to Champ's agent, anyway. Champ probably didn't get the long side of the conversations in person, but Im betting he and his agent have been in close touch. Each party knowing where the other stood. Champ probably already knew that the Broncos weren't willing to come up to what Champ thinks he's worth, and the Broncos knew what Champ and his agent were asking to get. Since they either couldn't come close to one another, there really isn't a need to make offers that wouldn't be worth the time to be refused.

Yea, i really am a bit surprised some people have already broken out the pitchforks. Many of whom have kept saying for the last few months they have complete faith and trust in Elway. I dont think Elway would go out of his way to disgrace a player like Bailey, im pretty sure there is a lot more to the story than what is out to the public. Either way, Champ was not worth his current contract and if he and the team couldnt find any middle ground than you allow him to move on.

Dapper Dan
03-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm still on the fence about who I should blame. But someone must be held accountable. Is it Champ? His agent? John Elway? Miles, the mascot?

Northman
03-08-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm still on the fence about who I should blame. But someone must be held accountable. Is it Champ? His agent? John Elway? Miles, the mascot?

Tebow

ShaneFalco
03-08-2014, 08:05 PM
i hope tim gets a team this offseason.

luckyseven
03-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Maybe Champ wasnt willing to take a paycut. I wouldnt be so quick to brush it off as Denver didnt attempt to keep him. They may have already had talks long before now and just couldnt come to an agreement.

probably more likely than the rest of the wild rumors. I think that Elway and agent have talked since ht end of the season and nothing fruitful came of them. I also think that Champ knew that something was going to happen, if he did not have it in the back of his mind then, not sure I trust his judgement. I further think everyone thought he was taking money on false pretenses last year.

luckyseven
03-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Yea, i really am a bit surprised some people have already broken out the pitchforks. Many of whom have kept saying for the last few months they have complete faith and trust in Elway. I dont think Elway would go out of his way to disgrace a player like Bailey, im pretty sure there is a lot more to the story than what is out to the public. Either way, Champ was not worth his current contract and if he and the team couldnt find any middle ground than you allow him to move on.

seriously Champ could not have realistically thought he would be kept after last years poor performance. if his agent was whispering he was worth that much money then he should be fired. even he has talked about a move to safety and a reduction in pay over the past few years, saying at the time he was not ready to make that move.

MOtorboat
03-08-2014, 10:39 PM
seriously Champ could not have realistically thought he would be kept after last years poor performance. if his agent was whispering he was worth that much money then he should be fired. even he has talked about a move to safety and a reduction in pay over the past few years, saying at the time he was not ready to make that move.

What friggin' poor performance? He was injured. When he was healthy he played well. Someone look up the PFF playoff grades. I believe he graded out as the best defensive player on the team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Champ is one of the goat's. What do you do, tell him you'll give him an incentive based 2 year deal with 1.5 gauranteed? Of course Champ is hurt. Nonetheless, I respect Elway a lot for just releasing him. Let Champ figure out on his own what his value really is. Maybe Champ is the jerk for not asking for the league minimum after making $20million the last two freaking years.

Get a grip peeps.

MOtorboat
03-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Champ is one of the goat's. What do you do, tell him you'll give him an incentive based 2 year deal with 1.5 gauranteed? Of course Champ is hurt. Nonetheless, I respect Elway a lot for just releasing him. Let Champ figure out on his own what his value really is. Maybe Champ is the jerk for not asking for the league minimum after making $20million the last two freaking years.

Get a grip peeps.

Why would anyone in their right mind ask to earn the minimum? That's ridiculous.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind ask to earn the minimum? That's ridiculous.

Agreed, I was only making a point.

luckyseven
03-08-2014, 10:58 PM
What friggin' poor performance? He was injured. When he was healthy he played well. Someone look up the PFF playoff grades. I believe he graded out as the best defensive player on the team.

would be interested in seeing those numbers over the past 3-4 years. I doubt that you are correct. If he was the best on the team what does that say about the rest of the team?

Denver27og
03-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks for everything Champ!! WOW 10 years as a bronco!! That is amazing!! You never know, if he doesn't get a good offer on the market, maybe he will come back to us as a safety.

pnbronco
03-09-2014, 02:39 AM
I adore Champ and am so grateful to everything he did as a Bronco. He is a class act 100% of the time and a total professional in every way. I do understand that the current contract could not work anymore. I trust that Elway understands both sides of the coin as a player and a GM. I think he gave Champ a way to keep his pride and test what's out there. Of course I would love for it to work out that he stays in Denver, but whatever happens I only wish him the very best.

Northman
03-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Just nature of the beast really but Elway has to do what he needs to do and sometimes it means seeing players we like leave. Last year it was Doom, this year its Champ and more than likely Deck. Sucks, but its the NFL for ya.

Jsteve01
03-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Read somewhere that the Broncos' current philosophy with guys like Champ and Decker is to let them shop their services and establish the value. And just to revisit it Mo, I posted a thread last month pushing for a Bird rule in the NFL just so we could re sign the guy to a deal that works for both parties. Not sure that it would be applicable in this situation as he still had years left on his current deal, but the point is that He couldn't stay with that cap number and just reworking the deal apparently was out of the question and would have been frowned upon by the Union. I'll always rank Champ as one of my favorite Broncos of all time, but that big deal combined with his age and the injury were just too much

OB
03-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Anyone hear if he has had any offers?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Anyone hear if he has had any offers?

I have heard nothing

Bronco9798
04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm just glad he's gone. I'm stunned that anybody though he would stick around for another year. It's a cruel business, cya!! Root and love the team, not the player!! Cause with free agency and the business side of football there is no loyalty on either side. Just the way it is. My wife loved Cutler, bought his jersey, gone. She was upset. My wife loved Decker, bought a Decker Jersey. Gone. She was pissed. Life goes on. Love the team!! Get over the player. Quit buying jerseys!!! lol..BTW, I have 4 Champ jerseys I bought over the years. Still glad he's gone. I'm a Bronco fan!!!!!

VonDoom
04-02-2014, 01:40 PM
My wife loved Cutler, bought his jersey, gone. She was upset. My wife loved Decker, bought a Decker Jersey. Gone. She was pissed. Life goes on. Love the team!! Get over the player. Quit buying jerseys!!! lol..

Anyone else you want off this team? Just have your wife buy their jersey :lol:

DenBronx
04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I only buy throwbacks now. Champ jerseys will never go out of style.

I have two Moreno jerseys. He's gone....so what I will still wear them. Probably going to change it to Atwater now.

Buff
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm just glad he's gone. I'm stunned that anybody though he would stick around for another year. It's a cruel business, cya!! Root and love the team, not the player!! Cause with free agency and the business side of football there is no loyalty on either side. Just the way it is. My wife loved Cutler, bought his jersey, gone. She was upset. My wife loved Decker, bought a Decker Jersey. Gone. She was pissed. Life goes on. Love the team!! Get over the player. Quit buying jerseys!!! lol..BTW, I have 4 Champ jerseys I bought over the years. Still glad he's gone. I'm a Bronco fan!!!!!

I mostly agree with this. No ill-will towards Champ, but we needed to move on, and he made a shit ton of $$ here so we don't need to feel bad for him. I would have been more upset if he stayed.

ShaneFalco
04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
i dont at all, replacing a corners legacy with some NE player kinda pisses me off.

Maybe im just loyal.

WARHORSE
04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I hope Champ comes in at a minimum contract and he's willing to see what he can do at safety. Regardless of Ward.....Moore is an unknown due to his injury and Ihenacho would back up Ward in the box.

Jsteve01
04-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I only buy throwbacks now. Champ jerseys will never go out of style.

I have two Moreno jerseys. He's gone....so what I will still wear them. Probably going to change it to Atwater now.

I want a dennis smith...never see them and he's my all time favorite Broncos defender

chazoe60
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
I want a dennis smith...never see them and he's my all time favorite Broncos defender
Try Denver Autographs. They have a bunch of that stuff, I've even seen an autographed Dennis Smith jersey in there before, for fair prices too. They have an online store as well if you aren't in the Denver area.

Dapper Dan
04-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Try Denver Autographs. They have a bunch of that stuff, I've even seen an autographed Dennis Smith jersey in there before, for fair prices too. They have an online store as well if you aren't in the Denver area.

They have an eBay store too. In case someone wants to up their reviews.

tubby
04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
So much for retiring. Wrong again 9798. :coffee:

luckyseven
04-04-2014, 03:42 PM
signed with New Orleans.

tomjonesrocks
04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Two years, one guaranteed, max value 7M.

Sounds like a pretty good gamble for NO.

Bronco9798
04-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Again, retire or go. I just wanted him gone. He's done. He might as well retire. Quit getting your butt feelings hurt cause Champ is gone.

Jsteve01
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Again, retire or go. I just wanted him gone. He's done. He might as well retire. Quit getting your butt feelings hurt cause Champ is gone. lol he's not done unless he gets hurt again which is a definite possibility, but in the right situational role he could be a huge asset especially when playing in that backfield

Bronco9798
04-08-2014, 09:17 PM
He's done. He can't keep up with the younger WR's in this league. He's a great tackler still. Outside of that, he's done man!! I loved me some Champ years ago, not today.

Softskull
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
He's done. He can't keep up with the younger WR's in this league. He's a great tackler still. Outside of that, he's done man!! I loved me some Champ years ago, not today.

I will always love CB. The guy had grit and laid it out for us every week for ten years. At this point he has safety written all over him. I wish that man the very best.

Dapper Dan
04-08-2014, 09:38 PM
He's done. He can't keep up with the younger WR's in this league. He's a great tackler still. Outside of that, he's done man!! ...

I hope you're wrong, just because you're so cocky about it.

Bronco9798
04-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Take a breath man. Just yaking on here. No big deal. Just stating my opinion in my way. :2thumbs:

Dapper Dan
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Take a breath man. Just yaking on here. No big deal. Just stating my opinion in my way. :2thumbs:

Well, you are a Buckeye. That explains it. I'm sorry.

tubby
04-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Again, retire or go. I just wanted him gone. He's done. He might as well retire. Quit getting your butt feelings hurt cause Champ is gone.
Champ being gone isn't my issue. Tell me you you haven't forgotten coming on here with the I told you so crap when he got released. He didn't retire. NO signed him. Just admit you were wrong and lets move on.

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Yes sir, I'm sorry Tubby. You are correct. Forgive me. Seriously though, FU!!!!

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm not a buckeye. I'm not from Ohio.

tubby
04-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Yes sir, I'm sorry Tubby. You are correct. Forgive me. Seriously though, FU!!!!

No need to apologize. Geez, talk about getting all butt hurt. It's ok, you were wrong. BFD. Hush girl, come here....

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm just glad you were there to report I said Retired. I just wanted him gone. He's done. Glad you were looking over me to correct me though!! I hope you continue to monitor my post and correct me in the future since I was so far off base on this one. Carry on, my stalker friend!!! :-)

tubby
04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm just glad you were there to report I said Retired. I just wanted him gone. He's done. Glad you were looking over me to correct me though!! I hope you continue to monitor my post and correct me in the future since I was so far off base on this one. Carry on, my stalker friend!!! :-)

My pleasure. I can't stand pompous 'I told you so' rhetoric. If I find an inch, I'll take a mile.

Ps. Champ is gone. Beat your chest like a buffoon :D

Buff
04-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Man Tubby is really sticking it to poor niner. Leave the retiree alone!

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 10:37 AM
My pleasure. I can't stand pompous 'I told you so' rhetoric. If I find an inch, I'll take a mile.

Ps. Champ is gone. Beat your chest like a buffoon :D

I didn't need to beat anything, I just smiled. But, I knew he would be gone. So, it was really no big deal to me. Most people on here were shocked, really? 30 fukin 6 years old playing CB in the NFL against younger WR's. for 10 million. I just shake my head at what people were thinking. There was never any room on this roster for Champ even before Talib was signed. Champ was a competitor and was the best open field tackler at his position in the history of the NFL. Nobody did it better at that position. Hell, most CB's shied away from open field tackling, Champ went to find a tackle. He had good days on his island and he had horrific ones. I watched his entire career. He had more good than bad, but his bad was pretty miserable at times, especially the last few years. He was a great Bronco. I have 4 jerseys. it was just time to go. Those days come for everybody. It's the business of the NFL.

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Man Tubby is really sticking it to poor niner. Leave the retiree alone!

Don't refer to me as "poor" niner! Dude, he can get his jollys all day on here. He's not hurting me with his comebacks. You guys live on here. I'm sure you all enjoy it. I would own Tubby in the real world with everything. So, if he can own me on here, I'm good with it. lol.....I hope it builds his esteem.

Buff
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Don't refer to me as "poor" niner! Dude, he can get his jollys all day on here. He's not hurting me with his comebacks. You guys live on here. I'm sure you all enjoy it. I would own Tubby in the real world with everything. So, if he can own me on here, I'm good with it. lol.....I hope it builds his esteem.

I don't know, Tubby is pretty good at washers, I don't think you could take him.

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't know, Tubby is pretty good at washers, I don't think you could take him.

I'd ******* own him!! lmao!!!

BroncoJoe
04-09-2014, 10:50 AM

**** tubby and **** washers!!!!!!!

tubby
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM
**** tubby and **** washers!!!!!!!

Spoken like a guy who's gotten his ass kicked a couple times. :D

tubby
04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Tell us about the real world. What's it like?

BroncoJoe
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Spoken like a guy who's gotten his ass kicked a couple times. :D

I lost it for a minute there. I shall exact REVENGE!!

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Tell us about the real world. What's it like?

You would never understand. You have to make a commitment to excel to succeed in the real world. I highly doubt you would fit that mold. I'll live it and you can fantasize about it. But hey, you have been on here for many years consistently. This is a pretty good world for you here. Basically, going nowhere. Hell, people praise you on here. I'm sure that's good for you ego and self esteem. You rock in your own world, that's all that matters. I personally thing you're a loser, but that's just my opinion.

Buff
04-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Niner doesn't really take constructive criticism all that well.

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Niner doesn't really take constructive criticism all that well.

Im just messing with Tubby. Sittin over here lmao, Thinking how i can sound smart and be better than him. lmao. it's fun. I'm bored. i needed something to do.

Bronco9798
04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
And now it's lunch time, give Tubby time to retaliate.

tubby
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I quit life.

Northman
04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Im just messing with Tubby. Sittin over here lmao, Thinking how i can sound smart and be better than him. lmao. it's fun. I'm bored. i needed something to do.

The banter between B97 and Tubby reminds me of the scene from Tombstone with Ringo and Holiday.

B97 (Ringo)

Fight's not with you, Holliday.

Tubby (Holliday)

I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?

B97 (Ringo)

I was just foolin' about.

Tubby (Holliday)

I wasn't.