PDA

View Full Version : Stars on captain patches

Touchdown Denver
03-05-2014, 06:45 PM
What do the four stars under the C mean? Why don't all team captains have the same number of gold stars? Peyton has three gold stars and his brother Eli has four.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 06:53 PM
It signifies the number of years you have been a captain.

Dapper Dan
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
It signifies the number of years you have been a captain.

So Peyton has only been Captain for 3 years?

OrangeHoof
03-05-2014, 08:21 PM
It stands for how many times they've screwed the Patriots.

Dapper Dan
03-05-2014, 08:23 PM
According to Wikipedia, it's the number of consecutive years they have been captain.

Dapper Dan
03-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Players who have been named a team captain typically have a "C" patch on their jerseys. There is a standard design used by all teams participating in the captaincy program. The patches are in team colors and are worn on the front left or right breast (depending on other patches, etc. worn by the specific team). The number of stars filled in on the patch represents the number of consecutive years that player has been named captain by that team. If they've been named captain for longer than four years, the "C" on the patch is gold. Some teams (i.e. Baltimore and New England) do not have this patch on their jerseys but still designate captains. The New York Jets have not designated team captains since an incident involving Santonio Holmes in a 2011 game. In the 4th quarter of the final game of the 2011 season against the Miami Dolphins, Holmes appeared to get into an argument with Jets offensive tackle Wayne Hunter while the team was huddling. As a result of the argument, Holmes was benched for the remainder of the game, and the Jets ended up losing the game, which resulted in the Jets missing the postseason for the first time in 3 years. His leadership qualities and credibility as a captain have since been questioned.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_team_captains

Touchdown Denver
03-05-2014, 11:25 PM
According to Wikipedia, it's the number of consecutive years they have been captain.

So a player needs to be on a team five years to have a gold C. But I never see four gold stars and a white C, so I thought if four stars are gold, the C always will be too.