PDA

View Full Version : "Denver could be hoping Decker gets big offer elsewhere"--AP

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Eric Decker, a third-round pick in 2010, hits the market on March 11. With big numbers over the last two years aided by the presence of Peyton Manning, Decker could be one of the few guys to get overpaid early in the process — especially by a cap-rich team with an owner who wants to make a splash for business purposes more than football reasons.

Some in league circles believe the Broncos hope Decker gets that big offer and pounces on it, so that the Broncos aren’t faced with the dilemma of paying Decker something in the range of $5 million per year or politely telling him they’re not interested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/05/denver-could-be-hoping-decker-gets-big-offer-elsewhere/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I've said it before... Decker is probably only worth $5-$7M tops. I did expect Denver to try and match a $5-$6M offer but maybe not. It would have been interesting to me to get Jeremy Maclin on board though.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I doubt that is accurate. They may want him to leave? No I don't see that at all.

Riley Cooper got a contract that is worth $5 million per year he's not nearly as good of receiver as Decker is. If Cooper is worth $5 million per year then Decker is certainly worth atleast $2 to $3 million more than Cooper per year.

I don't think it would be interesting at to bring in guy who is often injured and to this point in his career hasn't done squat.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac70/tha1nonli/THISGONBGUD.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/tha1nonli/media/THISGONBGUD.gif.html)

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I doubt that is accurate. They may want him to leave? No I don't see that at all.

Riley Cooper got a contract that is worth $5 million per year he's not nearly as good of receiver as Decker is. If Cooper is worth $5 million per year then Decker is certainly worth atleast $2 to $3 million more than Cooper per year.

I don't think it would be interesting at to bring in guy who is often injured and to this point in his career hasn't done squat.

That's just it. Look who was passing to Riley Cooper and who was passing to Eric Decker. There's a difference and I think GM's are wise to that nowadays. Do you think Eric Decker, the same guy who has dropped wide open passes throughout his tenure in Denver, the same guy who tripped over his own feet 35 yds from the end zone with no opposing players in front of him, would be as productive in Philly as he was in Denver? No forkin way pal.

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 11:20 AM
P.S. I like Decker, but I don't love Decker. It only sounds like I'm bashing him because in order to point out what I think are valid points/facts, you kinda have to.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
That's just it. Look who was passing to Riley Cooper and who was passing to Eric Decker. There's a difference and I think GM's are wise to that nowadays. Do you think Eric Decker, the same guy who has dropped wide open passes throughout his tenure in Denver, the same guy who tripped over his own feet 35 yds from the end zone with no opposing players in front of him, would be as productive in Philly as he was in Denver? No forkin way pal.

Imo that's a poor argument that a lot of people have used. Pierre Garcon had Manning throwing to him the first three seasons of his career he had Manning throwing the ball to him do you know how many time he eclipsed 80 plus catches, 1,000 yards receiving and double touchdowns? Zero. To say that it's that all Manning is bunk.

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Imo that's a poor argument that a lot of people have used. Pierre Garcon had Manning throwing to him the first three seasons of his career he had Manning throwing the ball to him do you know how many time he eclipsed 80 plus catches, 1,000 yards receiving and double touchdowns? Zero. To say that it's that all Manning is bunk.

Yeah, and look how fabulous he is in Washington and for pretty good $$.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah, and look how fabulous he is in Washington and for pretty good $$.

That proves my point.

SR
03-05-2014, 11:52 AM
That proves my point.

Garcon is a better WR than Decker IMO

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Garcon is a better WR than Decker IMO

He is more physically imposing. I will agree with that. He's also had some pretty shoddy QB play in Washington.

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
That proves my point.

I understand. I think we agree that Garcon is over paid (he did achieve 113 rec & 1100+ yds this season, 5 TDs). During Garcon's time in Indi, Reggie Wayne & Dallas Clark were favorite targets too.

But, from your argument, because Decker also eclipsed the 1,000 yd mark with Peyton, while Garcon never did (under Peyton), Decker does add more talent & value than Garcon, and should be considered more than that article says. Right?

I can't argue against that. It's a legit argument. I personally can live without Decker and still wouldn't be surprised if he did only get $5-$6M, but can see how a team may rightfully believe he's worth paying more for. I also think the team can be just as successful with replacing him.

I listen to some of the Denver sports radio while I drive to and from work, and it seems the other half of the talk is on the defensive side. Getting certain players (keeping DRC or considering Browning) in order to make our defense stronger to keep up with the likes of Seattle. But, to me, the defense didn't lose that game. The offense lost that Super Bowl. I'd like to hear more what can be fixed on offense more. We can't say keeping Decker is the answer, because he caught 1 pass for 6 yds in that Super Bowl. Do we need our WR's to be more physical? Do we need a more dependable running game? I'm not entirely sold on our O-line. Peyton's ability to get rid of the ball quickly helped them out more than it should be required.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2014, 12:37 PM
I really doubt Denver "wants" him to leave.

I also really doubt they are even going to try and bring him back.

IMHO, Decker is an above average player, and nothing more, without Manning.

silkamilkamonico
03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I listen to some of the Denver sports radio while I drive to and from work, and it seems the other half of the talk is on the defensive side. Getting certain players (keeping DRC or considering Browning) in order to make our defense stronger to keep up with the likes of Seattle. But, to me, the defense didn't lose that game. The offense lost that Super Bowl. I'd like to hear more what can be fixed on offense more. We can't say keeping Decker is the answer, because he caught 1 pass for 6 yds in that Super Bowl. Do we need our WR's to be more physical? Do we need a more dependable running game? I'm not entirely sold on our O-line. Peyton's ability to get rid of the ball quickly helped them out more than it should be required.

Really good post and I agree with everything.

claymore
03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
This was the most important part of the PFT article to me.

After the big-money phase of free agency ends, the Broncos can use Decker’s deal as the ultimate recruiting tool for a veteran receiver to sign a reasonable, short-term contract to play with Peyton.

Everyone knows the Broncos want Decker back. They want him back at a much lower rate than he and his agent will be willing to take though.

Northman
03-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Very poor argument and very weak. Welker drops wide open passes, DT fumbles the ball more than Decker, etc. Fact is, you can replace any of our wideouts/TE's and Manning will make them look good because its Manning. Its very myopic point of view to think that its only been Decker who has flourished under Peyton.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2014, 03:04 PM

I think he would be, yes. I think Decker would show that he's a viable WR no matter where he goes. Talent shows up, just as Decker did when Orton or Tebow was throwing the ball. If you are going to take away from a WR because he has a good QB, then you might as well throw all of Jerry Rice's records away.

I actually think the GMs and coaches are wise enough to see that Decker has proved to be a MUCH more consistant threat than Cooper ever has been.

MOtorboat
03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
He is more physically imposing. I will agree with that. He's also had some pretty shoddy QB play in Washington.

Garçon is physically imposing, or am I reading that backwards?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Garçon is physically imposing, or am I reading that backwards?

He has put on a lot of muscle mass since he played at Indy. He's a pretty big guy....not really sure what you mean.

MOtorboat
03-05-2014, 03:38 PM
He has put on a lot of muscle mass since he played at Indy. He's a pretty big guy....not really sure what you mean.

I guess I never saw a 6-0, 200 speed guy as imposing, but I'll take your word for it.

From what I saw he has been a sideline/deep speed threat.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I guess I never saw a 6-0, 200 speed guy as imposing, but I'll take your word for it.

You might be right. I've never looked at his measureables. I'm just stating what he looks like on the field. He looks a lot bigger than 200 now. He's fairly yoked these days.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2014, 03:40 PM

If youwatched Garcon on the field this year, you would see that he looks pretty big and beefy on the field. He certainly looked bigger than what you are describing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 03:41 PM
If youwatched Garcon on the field this year, you would see that he looks pretty big and beefy on the field. He certainly looked bigger than what you are describing.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if my eyes were deceiving me. :laugh:

Ravage!!!
03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if my eyes were deceiving me. :laugh:

I had to look up the roster to make sure I wasn't thinking of another WR! Garcon looked BIG on the field. I remember saying early when watching him "DAMN, I didn't realize Garcon was SO big!"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
I had to look up the roster to make sure I wasn't thinking of another WR! Garcon looked BIG on the field. I remember saying early when watching him "DAMN, I didn't realize Garcon was SO big!"

Yeah, when they came to Denver earlier in the year it looked to me like he's easily put on 20 pounds since he played in Indy.

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Garcon is NOT a better WR than Decker is. Never has been and never will be.

Now, if Denver can get Decker for 5 mill like the article suggest then they would have been all over that the second the game against Seattle ended.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
You might be right. I've never looked at his measureables. I'm just stating what he looks like on the field. He looks a lot bigger than 200 now. He's fairly yoked these days.

I looked it up and according to what they have on ESPN Garcon is 6-0 and 212 lbs. Decker is 6-3 and 215 lbs. So I don't think Garcon is more physically imposing.

BroncoWave
03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
P.S. I like Decker, but I don't love Decker.

So you'd, like, let him get to second or third base with you but no more?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I looked it up and according to what they have on ESPN Garcon is 6-0 and 212 lbs. Decker is 6-3 and 215 lbs. So I don't think Garcon is more physically imposing.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say Decker is soft or anything. I'm just expressing what it looks like to me on the television screen. He's several inches shorter than Decker and is essentially the same weight. Even though Decker is fairly ripped he doesn't like as stout as Garcon does. It's just a fleeting opinion, but I was speculating in my mind that Garcon might be a little better at beating the jamb because of his physical strength.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
The way I see it, I think Denver would like to have him back but there is a line financially that they won't cross in order to keep him.

artie_dale
03-05-2014, 11:08 PM
I think he would be, yes. I think Decker would show that he's a viable WR no matter where he goes. Talent shows up, just as Decker did when Orton or Tebow was throwing the ball. If you are going to take away from a WR because he has a good QB, then you might as well throw all of Jerry Rice's records away.

I actually think the GMs and coaches are wise enough to see that Decker has proved to be a MUCH more consistant threat than Cooper ever has been.

I think it goes both ways. But, was Rich Gannon a viable QB before he started throwing to Jerry Rice? Or did that happen before he ever teamed up with Rice? I think Rice has the better record at making his QB's look better than the QB's did before he got there. (I love Steve Young but would he have been as good without Jerry?)

Lancane
03-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I guarantee that it the Broncos signed someone like Brandon LeFell, someone under utilized and given an off-season with Manning that they'd be just as productive. Decker was productive before Manning became a Bronco and he'll get his paycheck, the only reason that he'll not receive that long-term deal here is because he's more like Smith and McCaffrey, talented, tough and productive, whereas Demaryius on the other hand is physically talented and is considered elite, if you pick who you pay, you pay the talent that is harder to obtain.

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Good read: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330867/article/eric-decker-demaryius-thomas-on-a-different-level

Maybe Decker is more valuable than I thought. Good luck to him.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Good read: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330867/article/eric-decker-demaryius-thomas-on-a-different-level

Maybe Decker is more valuable than I thought. Good luck to him.

That is what he'll likely get. He's led the league in touchdowns over the course of the last two years. He's going to get paid like it. I'm a little surprised at the number of people in denial about it.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2014, 12:18 AM
I guarantee that it the Broncos signed someone like Brandon LeFell, someone under utilized and given an off-season with Manning that they'd be just as productive. Decker was productive before Manning became a Bronco and he'll get his paycheck, the only reason that he'll not receive that long-term deal here is because he's more like Smith and McCaffrey, talented, tough and productive, whereas Demaryius on the other hand is physically talented and is considered elite, if you pick who you pay, you pay the talent that is harder to obtain.

Brandon LaFell isn't white though.

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 12:24 AM
That is what he'll likely get. He's led the league in touchdowns over the course of the last two years. He's going to get paid like it. I'm a little surprised at the number of people in denial about it.

Orton & Tebow were so bad, any productivity outside of McGahee, I admit, I was blind to. I couldn't stand watching our passing game during that stint. Then, Peyton comes along and blows everything up. Decker might be too valuable to hold on to.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Orton & Tebow were so bad, any productivity outside of McGahee, I admit, I was blind to. I couldn't stand watching our passing game during that stint. Then, Peyton comes along and blows everything up. Decker might be too valuable to hold on to.

Well he managed 600 yards and 8 touchdowns with one of the worst quarterbacks to ever play. He can play.

Lancane
03-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Brandon LaFell isn't white though.

We've got Welker, so the whiteness is covered!

TXBRONC
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I think it goes both ways. But, was Rich Gannon a viable QB before he started throwing to Jerry Rice? Or did that happen before he ever teamed up with Rice? I think Rice has the better record at making his QB's look better than the QB's did before he got there. (I love Steve Young but would he have been as good without Jerry?)

Before the Raiders got Rice Gannon had already shown that he was good starting quarterback. Where would Jerry Rice have been without Joe Montana or the 49er organization? Montana won two Super Bowls before the 49ers drafted Rice. Rice benefited from playing at time when teams could still build dynasties and it just so happened he wa on the team that dominated the 80s. Rice benefited from playing with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

By the time he went Oakland he wasn't same dominate receiver he had been the previous ten years. He benefited a from system which he allowed him to run short to mid range routes. He was able to do that because one Gannon was an accurate passer and he also got to play with Tim Brown who was a great receiver in his own right. Add to that they Jerry Porter who could stretch the field and had good enough hands that defenses couldn't take him for granted. Soi I don't see how Rice was the one that made Gannon MVP winning quarterback. Finally, go back and look what he did his last two seasons in San Franisco when he was still 'the man' his numbers were pedestrian and that was with playing all 32 games those final two season.

TXBRONC
03-06-2014, 10:22 AM

I was reading Klis' mailbag yesterday and he had a question about Decker getting paid. Klis said that one thing that might keep Decker's worth down is that this year's draft is very strong at wide receiver. If that is case it might give Denver the opportunity to sign Decker a price they would be comfortable. I believe Klis at $7 million per year Denver wouldn't bat an eye and at $8 million per Elway and is staff would have to think long and hard about it.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Yes. Jerry was aging, and Gannon had already taken the Raiders to the AFC Championship game before Jerry got to Oakland.

As far as Steve Young, yes he would have been. I don't think that a WR MAKES the QB a HoF QB. Look at the guys now that we know are going into the HoF. Aren't we saying that Peyton makes EVERY WR better? Aren't we acknowledging that Brady doesn't need "top flight" WRs? It doesn't matter what WR is in the lineup with Brees, because he's going to hit allll of them. Steve Young has the stats to show that he's the most accurate QB in history, that isn't all because of Jerry Rice. But I bet Jerry benefitted a TON by having the most accurate passers toss him the ball.

Combine top QBs with top WRs, and you have something special.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I was reading Klis' mailbag yesterday and he had a question about Decker getting paid. Klis said that one thing that might keep Decker's worth down is that this year's draft is very strong at wide receiver. If that is case it might give Denver the opportunity to sign Decker a price they would be comfortable. I believe Klis at $7 million per year Denver wouldn't bat an eye and at $8 million per Elway and is staff would have to think long and hard about it.

I just think some team much more hard up for quality receivers is going to offer him a real nice package. And I'm not disagreeing with people that once he gets on the field that contract is going to be a bit of a mirage, but I think the reality of his production and the fact that he's the best option out there this year will drive the price out of the Broncos range.