PDA

View Full Version : Buyers beware: Decker's not elite

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Someday, maybe even years after he has signed his first fat contract as an NFL free agent, Denver Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker will know exactly what Super Bowl XLVIII meant to his life.

There were several things that went wrong for Denver in that 43-8 blowout loss to Seattle, with Decker's disappearance ranking right near the top. Before that contest, he was primed to benefit from being the top receiver available on the open market. When it ended, the entire world could see that the expectations placed upon Decker in future years should be lowered quite a bit.

Decker didn't just hurt his stock by catching one pass for 6 yards in that game. He reminded everybody who witnessed that performance of why football evaluators make distinctions between No. 1 and No. 2 receivers.

The players who fall into the former category can dominate under a variety of circumstances. Those who wind up in the latter group look phenomenal until better cornerbacks and more focused defensive schemes expose them for who they really are.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10544254/eric-decker-inflated-worth

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Don't really agree with the article and believe Deckers more than just a product of a system. He's maybe the best #2 in the NFL and could be a #1 on many teams. Got to think the deal Cooper got it will lower Deckers value a bit. Some say Deckers going to get 9-10 mill a year but I don't believe that for one second. 6-7 mill a year should be what he ends up with but I bet NE makes a serious push for him. Some teams might offer him more but I have to think he wants to be a part of a team that has a QB and is pushing for a championship.

Anyhow , we will see how it all pans out soon.

Buff
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Basically what everyone's been saying for months here... The guy is a really solid #2 WR who is poised to potentially get paid like a #1.

But I think GMs have wised up over the years, so I don't think the consensus view is necessarily correct that he's going to get overpaid.

TXBRONC
03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Basically what everyone's been saying for months here... The guy is a really solid #2 WR who is poised to potentially get paid like a #1.

But I think GMs have wised up over the years, so I don't think the consensus view is necessarily correct that he's going to get overpaid.

The $10 miilion dollar figure that was floated was a product of media speculation. It wasn't based as far as I know on anything that actual GM were throwing out there.

tubby
03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Not elite is why I think he stays at $4-5M'ish per.

Buff
03-04-2014, 06:15 PM

He won't get less than Riley Cooper, who got $5M/yr. But he won't get all that much more than him either, IMO.

TXBRONC
03-04-2014, 06:17 PM

He'll get more than Riley Cooper who just a contract worth $20 million over the next four year iirc.

tubby
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM
He won't get less than Riley Cooper, who got $5M/yr. But he won't get all that much more than him either, IMO.

Maybe PHI overpaid and the rest of the league knows it.

Buff
03-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Maybe PHI overpaid and the rest of the league knows it.

Decker's agent could never work in the NFL again if he can't get him more money than Cooper.

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
If Philly can work a deal like that then why can't the Broncos? Decker could easily come in about 6 mill a year. Isnt that worth it to keep this offense together? Welkers deal is only one more year. Would rather see Welker go than Decker. DT, Thomas and Decker needs to be our core group for years to come. How many more years is Manning playing??? 2?? What happens after that? These guys will still have alot of football left in them after that.

TXBRONC
03-04-2014, 06:25 PM

I think Decker is worth about $2 to $3 million more per year than Cooper. So somewhere in the $7 million to $8 million dollar range.

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Cooper got a fair deal. Nothing wrong with Coopers contract at all and I expect Decker to come in slightly higher than what Cooper got.

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:27 PM
I think Decker is worth about $2 to $3 million more per year than Cooper. So somewhere in the $7 million to $8 million dollar range.

He might be worth more but in a top heavy WR draft and loaded market for free agents its going to be hard to justify breaking the bank for a WR this year.

TXBRONC
03-04-2014, 06:31 PM
If Philly can work a deal like that then why can't the Broncos? Decker could easily come in about 6 mill a year. Isnt that worth it to keep this offense together? Welkers deal is only one more year. Would rather see Welker go than Decker. DT, Thomas and Decker needs to be our core group for years to come. How many more years is Manning playing??? 2?? What happens after that? These guys will still have alot of football left in them after that.

$6 million seem just a little to close to what Cooper is going to make.

TXBRONC
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
He might be worth more but in a top heavy WR draft and loaded market for free agents its going to be hard to justify breaking the bank for a WR this year.

Giving him $7 to $8 million isn't breaking the bank.

Northman
03-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Don't really agree with the article and believe Deckers more than just a product of a system. He's maybe the best #2 in the NFL and could be a #1 on many teams. Got to think the deal Cooper got it will lower Deckers value a bit. Some say Deckers going to get 9-10 mill a year but I don't believe that for one second. 6-7 mill a year should be what he ends up with but I bet NE makes a serious push for him. Some teams might offer him more but I have to think he wants to be a part of a team that has a QB and is pushing for a championship.

Anyhow , we will see how it all pans out soon.

I love how he took just one game to make that determination. Guess he forgot the game in KC when DT was down and Decker took over. Is he Calvin Johnson? No. But he is much better than what that article is trying to paint.

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I love how he took just one game to make that determination. Guess he forgot the game in KC when DT was down and Decker took over. Is he Calvin Johnson? No. But he is much better than what that article is trying to paint.

Me too. Decker had 6 yards in the SB but his body of work can't be denied. He is basically pointing fingers at Decker as the reason why Denver got blown out against Seattle.

DenBronx
03-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Giving him $7 to $8 million isn't breaking the bank.

Breaking the bank as in 9-10 mill a year as many are suggesting.

Northman
03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Me too. Decker had 6 yards in the SB but his body of work can't be denied. He is basically pointing fingers at Decker as the reason why Denver got blown out against Seattle.

Yea, the sad reality is that when you have 3 very good receivers (Deck, DT, and Welk) there are only so many balls that can get thrown around. Both DT and Welker had a good game (stats wise) in the SB but having Deck have similar numbers would not have changed the outcome of that game. I understand not wanting to give up the farm but if your a team like Indy, Bmore, or Jax i could see taking the risk to throw a little extra to get that solid #2 receiver in the fold.

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 01:01 AM
The Philadelphia Eagles signed Riley Cooper to a five year contract extension worth $22,500,000 on February 26, 2014. Cooper received $8 million in full guarantees and an additional $2 million in injury guarantees. Those injury guarantees will vest to full guarantees if on the roster on the $5th day of the respective League Year.
Cooper's signing bonus was $4 million. Base salaries of the contract are
$1,000,000(2014),
$4,000,000(2015),
$4,500,000(2016),
$4,250,000(2017),
$4,750,000(2018).

I'll bet a load of money Decker gets more than 1 million for next year.
http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Riley%20Cooper&Position=WR&Team=Eagles

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 01:15 AM

IIRC Decker has more TD's the last three years than any other WR. had a crap load of yards and catches also. I have never heard him in the same conversations with Megatron or Fitzgerald but someone (bottomfeeder) will pay him..

Lancane
03-05-2014, 02:43 AM
Decker is without a doubt an above average top tier receiver, he's not elite up there with the likes of Green, Marshall, Johnson, Thomas, Fitzgerald and so on, he is comparable to Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, TY Hilton and Anquan Boldin, maybe not as physically gifted as a couple of them but just as productive if not more so.

As to where he lands, well I think he'll only look at options that make him and his wife comfortable with their lifestyle such as Tennessee, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, Carolina, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Indianapolis and St. Louis, I don't see them taking well to New York, San Diego, Oakland and very urbanized venues where they feel they don't fit. Even if he went to Washington D.C. or Minnesota there is enough farm land and country culture in the rural areas to be attractive to them both to not feel at home.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Decker's worth to Denver hinges on how much they'll have to pay the Thomas's, they can't pay Decker even $5 mil if it costs them either Julius or DT. I want Decker resigned as much as anyone but not if it means Denver is in the Cowballs shoes two years from now.

TXBRONC
03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Decker's worth to Denver hinges on how much they'll have to pay the Thomas's, they can't pay Decker even $5 mil if it costs them either Julius or DT. I want Decker resigned as much as anyone but not if it means Denver is in the Cowballs shoes two years from now.

If Denver has to let him walk I hope they draft a receiver rather than trying to get one through free agency. So far not a one of the free agents have mentioned would I be completely comfortable with. Also if it's all on Manning (which I don't believe it is) then why not bring in a rookie who is going be cheaper and Manning train correctly from the get go.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
If Denver has to let him walk I hope they draft a receiver rather than trying to get one through free agency. So far not a one of the free agents have mentioned would I be completely comfortable with. Also if it's all on Manning (which I don't believe it is) then why not bring in a rookie who is going be cheaper and Manning train correctly from the get go.

We should be able to get a good receiver in the 3-4 round range.

Ravage!!!
03-05-2014, 03:23 PM
I like Decker, but he's not as good as Dez Bryant or TY Hilton.

CoachChaz
03-05-2014, 03:54 PM

I had to read that twice as well to make sure I wasnt misunderstanding it.

CoachChaz
03-05-2014, 03:54 PM

I dont think losing JT would be the end of the world

Northman
03-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Bryant no, Hilton? I really dont see anything anymore special about him than Decker other than he has wings on his feet. But speed doesnt always equal greatness to me.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I dont think losing JT would be the end of the world

Neither do I, but I'd rather lose Decker. However, I think Denver values JT more than we do.