PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Will Take Good Look At D'Qwell Jackson

BSN Denver
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
For the Broncos, who have major questions at middle linebacker, the Cleveland Browns may have provided a solution. News broke on Tuesday that veteran linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was being released from the team before he was owed a $4.1 million in a roster bonus on March 15th. For Jackson, whose been playing for a serial losing Cleveland Brown’s franchise in his first eight years in the league, this may be the opportunity to play for a winning franchise at last.

The Broncos two middle linebackers from this year are set to be unrestricted free agents.

It’s apparent that Wesley Woodyard who although is beloved by the city, is not a middle linebacker. Danny Trevathan looks like the future for the Broncos in Woodyard’s former weak-side role and of course Von Miller has a firm grasp on the strong-side despite the off field issues last year and injury towards the end of the Broncos Super Bowl run. Woodyard has proven his worth as a starter on that weak-side and will surely find somebody willing to pay more than the Broncos when Woodyard hits the open market when free agency begins....CONTINUE READING (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=broncos-will-take)

TXBRONC
03-03-2014, 12:04 PM
As I was saying on BSN I don't see Elway offering a mega contract for Jackson's services.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Neither do I, but depending on the course of the talks with Jackson, not to mention Rodgers-Cromartie and Phillips' people, we could see some cuts in the near future, real near. Jackson will probably be offered (if they chose to sign him) to a 4 year 14 million dollar deal, which would average out to about 3 mil a year plus a 2 million dollar signing bonus, based on the production in comparison with other inside linebackers of about the same caliber.

Ziggy
03-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't mind the Broncos giving Jackson a multi year deal. Anyone who watched the Broncos while Al Wilson was playing knows what we're missing. Jackson still brings that fire, consistency, and leadership. He's top 10 MLB in this league, even at the age of 30. This defense needs a MLB, safety, and pass rushing DE. It is also screaming for a field general. He fills 2 of those needs. I hope Elway is smart enough to lock him up, even if it takes a 3-4 year contract.

Traveler
03-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Jackson is already heading for MIA. Guess it didn't take long for DEN to make a decision on Jackson.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Jackson is already heading for MIA. Guess it didn't take long for DEN to make a decision on Jackson.

Which means either they didn't like his attitude, he didn't fit the persona of the team or asked way too much. Or it could mean nothing at all and he is simply making the rounds.

MOtorboat
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
It likely means nothing. He had seven teams who wanted him.

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Which means either they didn't like his attitude, he didn't fit the persona of the team or asked way too much. Or it could mean nothing at all and he is simply making the rounds.

Umm they liked his attitude. Thats part of the reason why they brought him in.

They may not have liked the $$$ it would take to get him though.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
It likely means nothing. He had seven teams who wanted him.

The only thing that leads me to disagree the time, it's only 11:30 our time, usually this would be the type of thing where the team meets him, shows him around wine and dines him, etc. Hell, even pre-draft draftees seem to spend more time with the team. Free Agency isn't set to start for another eight days, it's like he's too much in a rush if that's the case. We'll see, but not a very good sign. I'd prefer Perry Riley over D'Qwell Jackson anyways, but I was fine with Jackson coming here as well...of course, I still have Denver taking Mosley in the draft.

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Still wondering why Fox didnt reach out to Jon Beason last year.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Umm they liked his attitude. Thats part of the reason why they brought him in.

They may not have liked the $$$ it would take to get him though.

DB, they haven't met him till now, they know his leadership ability, etc. that doesn't mean they know his attitude. Jake Plummer had the fire and passion that spread to his teammates, didn't make him less of an ***hole.

Ziggy
03-03-2014, 02:11 PM
The only thing that leads me to disagree the time, it's only 11:30 our time, usually this would be the type of thing where the team meets him, shows him around wine and dines him, etc. Hell, even pre-draft draftees seem to spend more time with the team. Free Agency isn't set to start for another eight days, it's like he's too much in a rush if that's the case. We'll see, but not a very good sign. I'd prefer Perry Riley over D'Qwell Jackson anyways, but I was fine with Jackson coming here as well...of course, I still have Denver taking Mosley in the draft.

He got in yesterday Lan. I'm guessing that the wining and dining was done last night. Today was about the physical and numbers.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
He got in yesterday Lan. I'm guessing that the wining and dining was done last night. Today was about the physical and numbers.

And you know this for sure? Just asking Zig, because he was scheduled to meet the Broncos today, we're not sure they had contact last night unless you've heard something I haven't? I admit it's possible, anything is possible.

Ziggy
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
And you know this for sure? Just asking Zig, because he was scheduled to meet the Broncos today, we're not sure they had contact last night unless you've heard something I haven't? I admit it's possible, anything is possible.

Jackson arrived in Denver on Sunday night and was scheduled to have dinner with Tom Heckert, the Broncos' director of pro personnel and his former general manager with the Browns. Jackson is scheduled to meet Monday with Elway and coach John Fox, among others, at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25261558/broncos-bring-lb-dqwell-jackson-look-free-agency

Lancane
03-03-2014, 02:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25261558/broncos-bring-lb-dqwell-jackson-look-free-agency

So he had dinner with Eckert, an old pal who had a hand in bringing him to the Browns, but none of the decision makers for the Broncos? Sounds more like catching up with a colleague then actual business. We'll see...

Ziggy
03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
He's never gotten to play the free agent game. He has been in Cleveland his entire career and was signed to an extension before free agency hit. He may want to take the Peyton route and make sure he visits every team that has interest before he makes his decision.

Lancane
03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
He's never gotten to play the free agent game. He has been in Cleveland his entire career and was signed to an extension before free agency hit. He may want to take the Peyton route and make sure he visits every team that has interest before he makes his decision.

It's quite possible.

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
DB, they haven't met him till now, they know his leadership ability, etc. that doesn't mean they know his attitude. Jake Plummer had the fire and passion that spread to his teammates, didn't make him less of an ***hole.

Its almost impossible to be a good leader with a shitty attitude for as long as Jackson was. There are some cases were team captains go off the deep end but that has never happened with Jackson as of yet. The Broncos knew this before ever bringing him in.

I have to wonder if they offered him a deal and if they did why didnt he sign it? Reason is, he wants to see what else is out there. Don't blame him but I bet the Broncos have already talked to his agent about what they are expecting contract wise.

Jacksons attitude isnt going to be a factor. If anything its going to help him.

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Smart of him to do that. Minn, NE and the Bears should also be his next stops.

broncohead
03-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I wonder if the FO feels like a MLB is a big need? Just looking back they never made a great effort in acquiring one. We are usually in nickel more than anything. I feel like we need a 3 down player just wondering if the FO feels like its as big of a need as the fan base does.

Ziggy
03-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I wonder if the FO feels like a MLB is a big need? Just looking back they never made a great effort in acquiring one. We are usually in nickel more than anything. I feel like we need a 3 down player just wondering if the FO feels like its as big of a need as the fan base does.

Jackson is a 3 down player. He's not elite in coverage, but he's decent. He's an elite run stopper as well. That's why he has so much interest at the age of 30.

milehigh
03-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Free agency starts March 11. Teams can only resign their own players at this point in time. I'm sure John Elway will get a few gems in free agency.

broncohead
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Jackson is a 3 down player. He's not elite in coverage, but he's decent. He's an elite run stopper as well. That's why he has so much interest at the age of 30.

I agree but ever since Wilson left we been signing stop gap LBers and never really made a push for a true 3 down MLB. Hopefully this is the year we actually acquire or draft one.

dogfish
03-03-2014, 05:02 PM

good-- let him take as much time as he needs. . . it'll give us a chance to see if AZ re-signs dansby, who's a far superior player to jackson. . .

Free agency starts March 11. Teams can only resign their own players at this point in time.

incorrect. . . jackson was released from his contract and does not have to pass through waivers. . . he's a free agent who is able to sign with any team at any time. . .

NightTerror218
03-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Well imo looking at taking a captain off the field to try a older player to get a better fit shows something.

Superchop 7
03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
screw him, John likes guys that are into team. This is an ass clown.