PDA

View Full Version : Winning is all that matters right?

CrazyHorse
09-14-2009, 09:37 AM
If winning is all the matters right does it matter if a loss comes by 1 point or 31 points.

Would you rather have the Broncos:
Have a losing record like 4-12 but be competitive in every game.
OR
Have 10 convincing or close wins and 6 blowout losses.

So are wins more important or consistency?

Northman
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
You forgot one. How bout 11 close victories and 5 close losses? That would work for me.

Kaylore
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
:rolleyes:This is obviously another attempt to downplay McDaniels and pimp last years' team.

I'll just say this: The consistent teams win more than the schizophrenic ones too - Especially down the stretch in December. In the first year of installing a new system there are obviously issues, but over time those teams grow and endure. Schizo teams like the Bengals, Browns or us last year can get hot and win ten games and then come back to earth and win four. We're building something enduring.

CrazyHorse
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
You forgot one. How bout 11 close victories and 5 close losses? That would work for me.

Obviously that works for everyone.
19 blowout wins would be even better.

The reason I ask this is that under Shanahan in the past 3 years we've been and .500 team. Some of our wins have been pretty convinces and we've had blowout losses too. Under McDaniels I think we will have a worse record HOWEVER I think we will remain competitive in all are games to the end. (see Greenbay a year ago)

The problem with both is when you have many close losses it shows you can't put the game away when you're ahead. This I think has issues to due with overall team maturity. The Texans and Greenbay would be good examples here. With blowout losses it means you can't remain competive throughout the game. The problem here isn't necessarily lack of talent but lack of heart. I think the reason Shanahan lost it in his last years as coach was that he wasn't able to motivate the team and lost the desire to win.

Northman
09-14-2009, 09:57 AM
I can see that. I think we will be much more competitive despite some losses. But in the long run i think we will see much improvement. However, there will be a faction of the fanbase who just wont accept or see that. Yesterday was a good example. We got a lucky win but had we lost it would of only been by 1 and not 31.

BigDaddyBronco
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
If we are consistent, then it will be easier to make adjustments to be better next year. Wildly erratic teams usually means that a franchise has to blow up the offense or defense and start over.

MasterShake
09-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Consistent=Competitive. You can't lose pretty, and there is no such thing as an ugly win.

Traveler
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Consistent=Competitive. You can't lose pretty, and there is no such thing as an ugly win.

Then let's call it an UGLY win.:D

OrangeHoof
09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
The consistent teams win more than the schizophrenic ones too - Especially down the stretch in December.

You mean like the Arizona Cardinals last year?

Lonestar
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I think we are on the way to being a good to great TEAM again..

instead of as DJ stated last year the Defensive players thinking they were "second class citizens"..

it is a TEAM and they will WIN or LOSE as a team..

the D may pull one out and then we may get a ST win.. and then as the Offense is always the last to come around I think we will be seeing a few O wins..

I still think with THIS schedule we will lose alot more than we win..

but then had no changes been made to coach or players I do not think we would have been any better, with the long term outlook much much worse..

D1g1tal j1m
09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
As long as you have a solid Offensive Line (like we do) and a solid Defense (which we are building towards) then a good season will be had. We are not going to be the greatest show on grass so don't expect big point differentials during the season. But to win closely contested games only builds confidence and if we make the playoffs (I am not predicting only suggesting) then we will be much more prepared for those games.

A win is a win. Improvements can be made in the next game, but the last game is already over and a 1 is in the win column.

DenBronx
09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
why is everyone crowning our asses already?

Tned
09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
If winning is all the matters right does it matter if a loss comes by 1 point or 31 points.

Would you rather have the Broncos:
Have a losing record like 4-12 but be competitive in every game.
OR
Have 10 convincing or close wins and 6 blowout losses.

So are wins more important or consistency?

Yes, how you lose matters. A blowout loss is worse than a 1 point loss, or missing a FG in the final seconds, etc.

However, I would take a 11 win season with 5 30 point losses/blowouts, vs. an 8 win season where we lost every game by a TD or less.

Tned
09-14-2009, 07:50 PM
:rolleyes:This is obviously another attempt to downplay McDaniels and pimp last years' team.

I'll just say this: The consistent teams win more than the schizophrenic ones too - Especially down the stretch in December. In the first year of installing a new system there are obviously issues, but over time those teams grow and endure. Schizo teams like the Bengals, Browns or us last year can get hot and win ten games and then come back to earth and win four. We're building something enduring.

Agreed that the poll doesn't make a lot of sense, as the "wins" are tied to being blown out in the losses, where the reality is that a consistent team is more likely to have a winning season.

NameUsedBefore
09-14-2009, 07:55 PM
If we're consistent and losing than I guess we're consistently bad. In that case, I guess I'll go with option 1.

Dean
09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
There are no moral victories in football; you win or you lose. How close or far apart the scores are is just something for the media and fans to discuss. At the end of the year when all is said and done your win/loss record gets you into the play-offs and whether you were 11-5 with lopped sided scores doesn't really matter. . . only that you were 11-5.

IMO I feel that is what most people remember of seasons past.

Shazam!
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
This is obviously another attempt to downplay McDaniels and pimp last years' team...

There is little to pimp from the 2008 Broncos. An epic embarassing collapse and a laughing stock HS Varsity defense is nothing to be ecstatic about.

EastCoastBronco
09-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Last time I checked.
Just for reference, hop in the DeLaurian, get her up to 88mph, and head back to the post game of the Giants/Pats Superbowl. Ask the Pats if they would rather have the won the game or won the statistics battle...;-)

Day1BroncoFan
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I would rather have more wins. Consistency is overrated. :coffee:

I didn't vote because I didn't see an appropriate choice for me to pick. :D

sacmar
09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd love to see how many of you would give back your lottery millions because you only won it by "luck". The main people always crying about other teams winning are teams that loose. You don't see the chargers quick to give their win last night back.