PDA

View Full Version : Could The Denver Broncos Move Up In The NFL Draft And Get C.J. Mosley or Calvin Pryor?

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Denver is in dire need of a true middle linebacker and haven’t had one dating back to 2006 when Al Wilson was a member of the team. They tried converting Wesley Woodyard over to the middle where he would normally play on the outside and it wasn’t an easy process. Woodyard would eventually get benched in week 14 due to his play and the team would turn Danny Trevathan into the team’s play-caller on the defensive side. Woodyard is set to become a free-agent but Denver will certainly try to bring him back to line up on the outside.

This is where the possibility of drafting Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley comes into place. According to Scout’s Inc.’s Top 32 for 2014, Mosley ranks at the number nine position on the big board. Also, according to CBSSports Mock Draft, Mosley could go as high as ninth in the draft to the Buffalo Bills. Here are his strengths and weaknesses via CBSSports.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/02/21/denver-broncos-move-draft-get-c-j-mosley-calvin-pryor/

dogfish
02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
sign d'qwell and draft pryor, please. . .

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:25 PM
sign d'qwell and draft pryor, please. . .

My thoughts too. By signing Jackson that makes the idea for trading up for Mosley a moot point.

Then what about Rahim Moore? Trade Moore?? I see Pryor is listed as a FS. Could Pryor play SS?

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
That's a LONG way to go up from where Denver sits right now. I think it would be a good move, but I'm not sure they have enough to give up to get there (I'm speaking of Mosley, unless he were to drop, but I don't think he will.).

chazoe60
02-27-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't get the love for Moore, and I'm not just talking about his all time flub from a couple of years ago. As a FS I am not impressed at all. He is eminently replaceable and upgradeable.

I think people feel the need to stick up for him but I just want some safeties that will actually make plays.

slim
02-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't get the love for Moore, and I'm not just talking about his all time flub from a couple of years ago. As a FS I am not impressed at all. He is eminently replaceable and upgradeable.

I think people feel the need to stick up for him but I just want some safeties that will actually make plays.

Either make plays or bring some pain, Moore does neither. He's average, but I miss having a great safety back there.

chazoe60
02-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Either make plays or bring some pain, Moore does neither. He's average, but I miss having a great safety back there.
The next big play Moore makes for his own team will be his first. I've seen nothing that tells me he is some kind of mainstay cornerstone on our defense. I consider Safety to be a big time need right now. Did anyone else notice Seattle's safeties? That's what actually NFL safeties look like. I realize we can't all have guys like they have at safety but holy shit, their safeties make ours look like High Schoolers.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:45 PM
I think Safety is a position we are needing most.

Moore can hit hard. We have seen him do it but not sure why he doesnt do it more.

Now, after reading up a little on Pryor I read that one of his cons is his hitting style will draw flags in the NFL. He is very aggressive. I dont even care about that, in fact I want to see that here in Denver. We really need to get aggressive in the backfield. These guys now are all too soft....id like to see some swagger....yes swagger in our defense.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Good grief this guy can hit!

b3y2XwXujkk

TXBRONC
02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
That's not Elway's preferance. He could go contrary to his m.o. But doubt he will.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Good grief this guy can hit!

b3y2XwXujkk

Man, that kid brings it. He's an athlete for sure. He's also gonna pay a few fines in the league. :laugh:

What are the chances he's available at 31?

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Man, that kid brings it. He's an athlete for sure. He's also gonna pay a few fines in the league. :laugh:

What are the chances he's available at 31?

He wont be there at 31.

We would have to trade up to the top 20.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Think Pryor can play SS just as well. He is a true safety. I would take him or bucannon

Slick
02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
He looks great in that video. Man.

I refuse to get my hopes up for any particular player anymore. My dreams are always shattered.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 06:54 PM
He looks great in that video. Man.

I refuse to get my hopes up for any particular player anymore. My dreams are always shattered.

He could even go in the top 15.

Really I dont mind us trading up this year if it meant getting a guy like that to help on defense. If he could play SS then it would make even more sense if we plan on sticking with Moore at FS. Maybe even give Moore a shot at playing CB if things dont work out with Champ.

Slick
02-27-2014, 06:57 PM
He could even go in the top 15.

Really I dont mind us trading up this year if it meant getting a guy like that to help on defense. If he could play SS then it would make even more sense if we plan on sticking with Moore at FS. Maybe even give Moore a shot at playing CB if things dont work out with Champ.

I sure wouldn't complain if they moved up and took him.

broncohead
02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Sold!

OrangeHoof
02-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I won't say never because someone they really want may start falling and come within 2-3 picks of 31 but I am doubtful the Broncos will try to move up. Moving down is more likely.

ShaneFalco
02-27-2014, 11:05 PM
mosley all the way!

DenBronx
02-28-2014, 02:51 AM
If they do trade up it most likely wont be in the top 20.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 09:49 AM
These two guys are top 20 locks...and maybe even top 15. End thread.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

I don't see Buffalo taking Mosely, but the chances of him getting past Pitt are pretty slim.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't see Buffalo taking Mosely, but the chances of him getting past Pitt are pretty slim.

I actually see the Bears taking Mosely and Pitt taking Pryor...but it could shake out a million different ways. I still see them both going top 20

Ravage!!!
02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't believe the Broncos are in a "must" keep Woodyard line of thinking.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 12:38 PM
I actually see the Bears taking Mosely and Pitt taking Pryor...but it could shake out a million different ways. I still see them both going top 20

You're probably right. I think it depends on whether the Bears decide to address DT first. If Melton is healthy they have two good starters with he and Paea, but they have nothing after those two. They could probably pick up a good NT in the second though.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 12:40 PM
You're probably right. I think it depends on whether the Bears decide to address DT first. If Melton is healthy they have two good starters with he and Paea, but they have nothing after those two. They could probably pick up a good NT in the second though.

DT's are deeper than MLB's

Northman
02-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't believe the Broncos are in a "must" keep Woodyard line of thinking.

Not after his decline late in the season last year.

DenBronx
02-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Its just an article and we are discussing it.

/re-open thread

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
A lot of nfl mocks have mosley slipping down boards. Bucky brooks for one. Interesting. I guess a lot of MLB do fall before the draft.

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Bears drafted a MLB last year they may pass this tear to see what he can do. Jon Bostic ring a bell?

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Bears drafted a MLB last year they may pass this tear to see what he can do. Jon Bostic ring a bell?

He does...and he wasnt very good. So much so that Chicago is looking at moving him to SAM

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 03:16 PM
He does...and he wasnt very good. So much so that Chicago is looking at moving him to SAM

They're moving Shae McClellin to SAM.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
They're moving Shae McClellin to SAM.

The whole thing depends on what they do with James Anderson and DJ. Either way, they dont have a true, solid MLB. I know McClelin is making the move, but I dont know how happy I'd be if he was my SAM. Dude is 260, slow and not much in terms of coverage. Basically, they have a bunch of outside guys and no true MLB. Bostic could do it, but I have to think they are a better defense with Briggs, Bostic and Mosely at the LB spots

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 03:30 PM
The whole thing depends on what they do with James Anderson and DJ. Either way, they dont have a true, solid MLB. I know McClelin is making the move, but I dont know how happy I'd be if he was my SAM. Dude is 260, slow and not much in terms of coverage. Basically, they have a bunch of outside guys and no true MLB. Bostic could do it, but I have to think they are a better defense with Briggs, Bostic and Mosely at the LB spots

I don't know where you get that McClellin is slow. He ran a 4.61 at the combine at 260 pounds. I was actually surprised Chicago drafted him to play DE. Boise used him as a SAM and he primarily just had his hand in the dirt on passing downs. I really expected a 3-4 team to draft him to be their rush backer. He's probably a better athlete than anyone else they have at backer, possibly even Briggs at this point of his career.

Lancane
02-28-2014, 03:47 PM
The only way I see Denver moving up is if they feel comfortable enough with the roster, meaning that they have very few positions of need and there is someone of such caliber that the trade is worthwhile. Mosley will fall IMHO, not as far as Maualuga did a few years back, but we'll see the rush capable linebackers get a lot more attention this year, unless someone is so sold on him that he is their primary target.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't know where you get that McClellin is slow. He ran a 4.61 at the combine at 260 pounds. I was actually surprised Chicago drafted him to play DE. Boise used him as a SAM and he primarily just had his hand in the dirt on passing downs. I really expected a 3-4 team to draft him to be their rush backer. He's probably a better athlete than anyone else they have at backer, possibly even Briggs at this point of his career.

Slow was a bad choice of words. He does have average straight line speed, but not the quickness. And I'm really puzzled where you think he's a great overall athlete. I would say just the opposite. He plays tight, has no twitch and no explosiveness. He'd definitely have a much better chance in a 3-4.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Slow was a bad choice of words. He does have average straight line speed, but not the quickness. And I'm really puzzled where you think he's a great overall athlete. I would say just the opposite. He plays tight, has no twitch and no explosiveness. He'd definitely have a much better chance in a 3-4.

For his size I think he's a good athlete. There aren't too many guys who can run a 4.61 at 260 pounds. That's faster than all but 3 or 4 linebackers in this current class who are all smaller than him.

I agree, a 3-4 is the best place for him. However, there's no reason the Bears can't use him the way the Redskins have used Orakpo as a SAM. I think he's got more twitch and explosion than you're giving him credit for. He was just miscast as a DE.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
For his size I think he's a good athlete. There aren't too many guys who can run a 4.61 at 260 pounds. That's faster than all but 3 or 4 linebackers in this current class who are all smaller than him.

I agree, a 3-4 is the best place for him. However, there's no reason the Bears can't use him the way the Redskins have used Orakpo as a SAM. I think he's got more twitch and explosion than you're giving him credit for. He was just miscast as a DE.

I guess it's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" scenarios for me

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 04:09 PM

I just know that's how Boise used him, and he excelled in that role. Nevertheless, I believe his ultimate calling is in a 3-4. He obviously does't have the quick twitch of Von Miller to play in a 4-3, but who does.

I also must confess, I'm just as sensitive about Boise State as you are about A&M. That's a Boise State hat I'm wearing in my avatar. I've been a Boise fan as long as I've been a Denver fan. I remember watching them play in the D2 championship on my black and white tv back in 1980.

luckyseven
02-28-2014, 09:26 PM

only started in 9 games with 57 tackles not what I'd say is strong. so if a great one jumps up at them who konws.

Dapper Dan
03-01-2014, 03:43 AM
I've seen many mocks having Pryor go either 21st or 22nd to the Eagles or Packers.

One mock has Mosley go as high as 8th, another at 9th.

DenBronx
03-01-2014, 04:06 AM
I've seen many mocks having Pryor go either 21st or 22nd to the Eagles or Packers.

One mock has Mosley go as high as 8th, another at 9th.

Sounds like it will take less to climb up for Pryor then. If we land Jackson then I would be ok with us trading up if the deal is right. I remember a few trades that went down in last years draft that the teams that traded up gave up way less then what I thought it would take. If teams cant find partners and are wanting to trade down then you can get a steal sometimes. If you can get a top 10-15 player and only have to trade up 5-7 spots then its worth it.

dogfish
03-01-2014, 05:14 AM
hey coach, what do you think of clinton-dix? is he close to a first round grade?

Dapper Dan
03-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Sounds like it will take less to climb up for Pryor then. If we land Jackson then I would be ok with us trading up if the deal is right. I remember a few trades that went down in last years draft that the teams that traded up gave up way less then what I thought it would take. If teams cant find partners and are wanting to trade down then you can get a steal sometimes. If you can get a top 10-15 player and only have to trade up 5-7 spots then its worth it.

A trade with Miami or Arizona for the 19th or 20th pick might work. That's still a bit of a leap. 11 or 12 spots.

Ziggy
03-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Pryor and Mosely will both go high. After the combine, Aaron Donald shot himself up to a top 20 pick, and both Chicago and Dallas are possibilities for him as well. Someone is going to drop, but not to 31.

ShaneFalco
03-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Mosley is being predicted as the 6th best player in the draft by some analysts.

luckyseven
03-01-2014, 09:43 PM

Which means time to forget about him.

Lancane
03-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Maualuga was predicted to be the best linebacker of his class. Mosley has a first round grade, not Top 5, 10 or even 15 which means that no analysts know where he will go for sure. And I've seen a current mock by one such analyst where he lands in Denver at 31.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Well, what do you think? I think he looked pretty good against the Eagles the other night. I thought his range looked pretty impressive, especially at his size. I don't think Bostic would look that good on all 3 downs.