View Full Version : Paige: Stokley catches on with history

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13330990

Paige: Stokley catches on with history
Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/14/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

CINCINNATI — The Ohio River stopped flowing late Sunday afternoon. Nobody noticed.

Brandon Stokley came out of nowhere for The Cinsational Catch, and the Broncos ended up somewhere over the rainbow. After months of agony, the Broncos had opening-day ecstasy.

Oh-High-Oh!

Intippingcredible!

The Immaculate Deflection!

With a remarkable ricochet, an unbelievable bounce, a manna from the heavens and a Phenomenal Phinish, the Beyond Belief Broncos pulled off the biggest miracle in the franchise's 50 seasons.

"It was dreamlike," Stokley said. "But never in my life could I dream that. I'm still stunned."

Stokley will be remembered for another half-century or so for The Far- Fetched Catch. It's now in the vault with The Drive, The Fumble and The Helicopter.

With 28 seconds remaining in what had been a rather mundane season opener between the Broncos and the Bengals and Cincy leading 7-6 with Denver at its 13, Kyle Orton called "All Go" in the huddle. All Go Long, or All Go Home. All Go Forget It.

Orton threw in the general direction of Brandon Marshall, who suddenly was covered like a Snuggy. Orton was trying to pick up 30 yards, and Stokley became an innocent bystander when he was 9 yards from the ball but had the ball tipped to him by a Bengals defender at the Denver 44.

"Everybody was going vertical. At that point, you're just trying to catch a break, and you hope to catch the ball, call a timeout and have another chance to give Matt Prater a chance at the field goal," Stokley said.

"I saw the ball in the air, and I turned around and watched it soar toward B-Marsh, and everybody went toward him. The ball popped up in the air, and it came toward me, and nobody was around.

"I just caught it. A lot of things were going through my mind at that point. I didn't quite know where I was, how much time was left, where everybody was, if somebody was behind me. I just started running, and I saw the last man drop off, and I thought I would waste some time," said the 11-year veteran, who was as thrilled in the locker room as an 11-year-old kid.

Stokley tiptoed along the edge of the goal line when no defender was in sight, then finally dipped in and celebrated the winning touchdown of the first game of the rest of Josh McDaniels' coaching life.

"The play seemed to last forever," said McDaniels, who made a triumphant debut in his home state and with his new team.

Stokley said he had never heard of such a play, never practiced such a play and had never been involved with such a play in his NFL career, even with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis, or in college or in high school or "even in my grandfather's yard when I was a boy."

As Stokley lined up, 87 yards away from a touchdown, "you know you need a miracle," he said later.

Orton, meanwhile, said he was "just trying to hit Brandon Marshall on the sidelines. I didn't think we were going to score a touchdown, but I thought we still had a chance with one timeout. I saw the ball go straight up in the air and Stokley right underneath, and he just took off running."

About half of the crowd already had started to escape Paul Brown Stadium when the Bengals grabbed a 7-6 lead with 38 seconds left. It was premature evacuation.

When the Broncos began their last possession deep in a hole of quicksand, they had only a wish and a prayer.

Their wish was fulfilled, their prayer was answered.

I've personally watched a few miraculous endings in football — Colorado's last-second Hail Mary at Michigan that was tipped and caught for the winning touchdown, the Broncos' 98-yard drive for a touchdown in Cleveland in the AFC championship game, the Cleveland fumble in Denver that allowed the Broncos to advance to another Super Bowl, the Super Bowl that ended with Tennessee a yard away from victory, the Broncos' stand against Green Bay in the first Super Bowl triumph, and John Elway's whirlybird against Green Bay in the first Super Bowl triumph.

But, in 40 years, I've never watched something so inexplicable.

The Ohio River might as well have parted.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Dr Velcro
09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Brandon Stokely is....

By far.....the best thing to happen to your team's offense in a long time.

He is awesome. Period.

Ravage!!!
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I like his headsy play more than anything. To have the calm enough to travel down the goalline, simply to take time off the clock when the crowd is going crazy, the game ball in your hands and the game winning score a simple one foot away..... he tip toes down the goalline in slow jog to tick the clock. Love it.

MasterShake
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I like his headsy play more than anything. To have the calm enough to travel down the goalline, simply to take time off the clock when the crowd is going crazy, the game ball in your hands and the game winning score a simple one foot away..... he tip toes down the goalline in slow jog to tick the clock. Love it.

He probably could have took a LITTLE more time off the clock! :lol:

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
He probably could have took a LITTLE more time off the clock! :lol:

Yeah he could have taken a couple more steps ah but so what. :beer:

Dirk
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
What a finish. :lol:

I don't care who you are (except a Bengals fan), that's funny right there!

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
What a finish. :lol:

I don't care who you are (except a Bengals fan), that's funny right there!

Agreed. I was up hollering to Stokley go, go, go!

CraigHwk
09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Yah we were all pretty bummed at the bar I was at during the last few minutes of the game, but wow.. That last play made the place go nuts. Was a great weekend for football.

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Yah we were all pretty bummed at the bar I was at during the last few minutes of the game, but wow.. That last play made the place go nuts. Was a great weekend for football.

Welcome aboard! :welcome: :

broncofaninfla
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM

I was at a bar too with 3 other Broncos fans, oddly enough there were 10-12 Bengals fans there. We were in the process of telling them good game, paying our bill when Orton threw the almost pick. I cussed then paid my daughter the $1 penalty for every cuss word she hears me say. Then got another dollar out to prep for what I was sure was going to be a pick and cuss word violation when the miracle happened. I cussed at the initial deflection then started screaming "Go, Go Go" as Stokley raced to the game winning TD. The bar came to life, it was high drama and good football. I love football season.........

BTW, my daughter made $4 off of me yesterday. :salute:

CraigHwk
09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I was at a bar too with 3 other Broncos fans, oddly enough there were 10-12 Bengals fans there. We were in the process of telling them good game, paying our bill when Orton threw the almost pick. I cussed then paid my daughter the $1 penalty for every cuss word she hears me say. Then got another dollar out to prep for what I was sure was going to be a pick and cuss word violation when the miracle happened. I cussed at the initial deflection then started screaming "Go, Go Go" as Stokley raced to the game winning TD. The bar came to life, it was high drama and good football. I love football season.........

Nice one! Grats to your daughter too. :)

Some guy came in to the bar at the end of the game (well, with 10 minutes left) and he was probably the only Bengals fan there. So, with their TD, he started to gloat, cheer everytime the B's did anything good, and was just talking SO much smack. He also had $250 riding on the game for the B's to win.

The look on his face when Stokely scored was priceless. I wish I had a camera to capture that moment. I don't think he stuck around long afterwards.

:beer: :defense: :beer:

TXBRONC
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM

So did you pay your daughter for cussing the intial deflection on that last play? :D

Dean
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Cleaveland has hated the Broncos for the last two decades for "the drive" and the fumble. With yesterday's finish, we can make Broncos a curse word thoughout the entire state of :DOhio.

broncofaninfla
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
So did you pay your daughter for cussing the intial deflection on that last play? :D

LOL! Sure did! We love watching Broncos games together. Me for the team and her because she makes money off of daddy's inablity to stop cussing during games. :D

She's great though, 5 years old and always the first to high five when Denver makes a play.

:salute:

Superchop 7
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
For every guy that reads a paper and thinks.......man I hate the guy that wrote it.

There are times I appreciate the guys in Denver.

They have respected Brandon and Lanas privacy.

For that, you have my admiration.

Come a long way since "halloween candy".

Reidman
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere but Stokley's TD was the longest winning TD in the final minute of a game in NFL history...

Edit: should mention longest receiving touchdown.......

Lonestar
09-15-2009, 10:15 PM

actually he said there was a hush in the crowd when he got near the end zone in his interview game day..

BCJ
09-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Brandon Stokely is....

By far.....the best thing to happen to your team's offense in a long time.

He is awesome. Period.

and why didnt he get selected as a captain? He saved us from BMARSH and his props on MNF last year and seems to be respected.