PDA

View Full Version : Some news on Derek Wolfe

dogfish
02-26-2014, 06:22 PM
i'll have to see if there's another article that this came from, but PFT just posted a short clip about wolfe (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/derek-wolfes-nervous-system-started-shutting-down-during-seizure/). . .

Wolfe shared the news with Lionel Bienvenu of ABC-7 in Denver as part of an interview about his condition. Wolfe said that he thought the spinal cord injury he suffered in preseason had healed completely, but that he tried to come back too quickly from it and it “screwed up my nervous system” as a result.

Wolfe said his nervous system “started shutting down” on the team bus to the airport for a trip to Kansas City and he was knocked out for the next 26 hours. He woke up in the ICU and told Bienvenu that he broke the hospital bed while nurses tried to hold him down when he came around with no idea where he was. Rest has been the only thing on Wolfe’s plate since then, but he says he’s ready to start working out after regaining 20 lost pounds.

“I’m going to come back bigger, faster, stronger. Ready to start training next week,” Wolfe said.

edit; the links all just lead to tweeter posts from lionel howeveryaspellit. . .

luckyseven
02-26-2014, 06:29 PM
i'll have to see if there's another article that this came from, but PFT just posted a short clip about wolfe (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/derek-wolfes-nervous-system-started-shutting-down-during-seizure/). . .

edit; the links all just lead to tweeter posts from lionel howeveryaspellit. . .

lest hope he does indeed come back "
bigger, faster, stronger. Ready to start training next week
that would be great news for him and Broncos fans

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Out 26 hours??? Broke the bed???

Hope this guy is going to be ok. His injury is very scary and hope he puts his safety first. Football is one thing but being in a wheelchair your whole life is another.

Come back stronger than ever big fella!

BroncoJoe
02-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Not much more, but here's a link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/derek-wolfes-nervous-system-started-shutting-down-during-seizure/

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe missed the final five games of the regular season and the entire playoffs after suffering a seizure in late November, but he says he’s ready to start training again next week.

Wolfe shared the news with Lionel Bienvenu of ABC-7 in Denver as part of an interview about his condition. Wolfe said that he thought the spinal cord injury he suffered in preseason had healed completely, but that he tried to come back too quickly from it and it “screwed up my nervous system” as a result.

Wolfe said his nervous system “started shutting down” on the team bus to the airport for a trip to Kansas City and he was knocked out for the next 26 hours. He woke up in the ICU and told Bienvenu that he broke the hospital bed while nurses tried to hold him down when he came around with no idea where he was. Rest has been the only thing on Wolfe’s plate since then, but he says he’s ready to start working out after regaining 20 lost pounds.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/derek-wolfes-nervous-system-started-shutting-down-during-seizure/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2014, 06:39 PM
It's no wonder the Broncos were so secretive.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
DENVER - Months after a seizure ended his season last year, Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe says he is ready to get back to work for the next season.

Wolfe was placed on a backboard and carted off the field during a preseason game against Seattle last August. He returned to play in the first 11 games of the season, but in retrospect says he knew something was not right.

"I thought I was fully healed and I came back a little too soon and kept hitting it," Wolfe told 7NEWS in an interview Wednesday. "It screwed up my nervous system a little bit - crisscrossed the wires a little bit."

rest - plus video - Derek talking about this - he looks good
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/broncos-defensive-end-derek-wolfe-says-he-is-ready-to-return-to-work-after-injury-recovery

luckyseven
02-26-2014, 06:41 PM
It's no wonder the Broncos were so secretive.

with the HIPPA laws there is no option. No comment is the word.

luckyseven
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
there is another thread on this. http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/582432-Some-news-on-Derek-Wolfe

Dzone
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Wow. This sounds bad. Wonder why it has taken so long for this to come out.
Would love to see Wolfe get Comeback Player of The Year next year

dogfish
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
wow. This sounds bad. Wonder why it has taken so long for this to come out.

hippa

Dzone
02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
hippa
Yep, probably so.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
with the HIPPA laws there is no option. No comment is the word.

I know, but usually when something happens, like ACL tear, etc., there is some leak of information. The way they handled this was not the status quo. This was like trying to get information out of Langley.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM
also, dupe thread. . . ban the OP. . . :coffee:

GEM
02-26-2014, 07:51 PM

You can't ban Carol!! That is enough, sir Dogfish!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Hey dog - I reported my thread and ask that it be merged with yours - now, would you do the same thing if you were in that situation????????

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Hey dog - I reported my thread and ask that it be merged with yours - now, would you do the same thing if you were in that situation????????

Boom.

:gauntletthrown:

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Doawwn goes Fraziahh

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Wow. This sounds bad. Wonder why it has taken so long for this to come out.
Would love to see Wolfe get Comeback Player of The Year next year

Listen to his full video - he states he didn't tell anybody, because no one knew exactly what was going on
http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/9887005-cbs4-video-clip/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Listen to his full video - he states he didn't tell anybody, because no one knew exactly what was going on

Man that dude has a motor.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Boom.

:gauntletthrown:

Doawwn goes Fraziahh

That just happened!

Simple Jaded
02-26-2014, 09:00 PM

Is it just me or did he start to choke up a little there at the end?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or did he start to choke up a little there at the end?

Yeah, I think he did. Was glad that he looks good.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
You can't ban Carol!! That is enough, sir Dogfish!

yea, i know i can't-- that's why i asked you to, duh!

:laugh:

probably not. . . :D

OrangeHoof
02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Personally, I would be happier to see him retire than return to the field. You don't always get a second chance after something like that and football is just not that important compared to a healthy life. Take your bonus and salary and be happy you had an NFL career.

tomjonesrocks
02-27-2014, 12:00 AM
It does sound like he's done. Shame from a fans perspective.

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 12:08 AM

I guess I completely missed this part.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM

He didnt come accross like that was in his plans at all. He seems to be hungry to get back on the field. I am sure he knows the severity of his injury but he was cleared by the doctors.

We may not even know, even Derek and the doctors might not even know, until he actually puts on pads and starts hitting again. If these symptoms arise then then maybe his football career is in jepardy but as of right now he is saying he has plans to continue to play.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 12:36 AM
damn, TJR! i love ya, man, but you take pessimism to untold heights. . . how in the world do you get this;

from this?

“I’m going to come back bigger, faster, stronger. Ready to start training next week,” Wolfe said.

:laugh: :laugh:

TXBRONC
02-27-2014, 07:52 AM
I'm glad he's going to be ok and sure hope he'll come back strong this next season.

OrangeHoof
02-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm the one saying he should retire and it's not like the athlete is going to give up until he just can't go anymore. Seizures just don't heal. They are a sign that something isn't right.

Of course I'd love to see him come back and play well but I don't want to be the one who says "I told you so" if he has another episode and this time has to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Football is just not that important.

Of course, he wants to come back and he's at an age when he thinks his body can bounce back from anything. The NFL is a violent world and I would be happy if he chose not to risk further injury.

BroncoNut
02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
ban carol asap

weazel
02-27-2014, 10:07 AM

I say both of them get a 10 day ban! :behindsofa:

TXBRONC
02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm the one saying he should retire and it's not like the athlete is going to give up until he just can't go anymore. Seizures just don't heal. They are a sign that something isn't right.

Of course I'd love to see him come back and play well but I don't want to be the one who says "I told you so" if he has another episode and this time has to live the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Football is just not that important.

Of course, he wants to come back and he's at an age when he thinks his body can bounce back from anything. The NFL is a violent world and I would be happy if he chose not to risk further injury.

The seizures were do to an injury if the injury heals properly then seizures will probably go away.

BroncoNut
02-27-2014, 10:15 AM
The seizures were do to an injury if the injury heals properly then seizures will probably go away.

whew. that's a relief. thanks dr txbronc

weazel
02-27-2014, 10:21 AM
He's done...

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Seizure like symptoms are not seizures.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm the one sayting he should retire and it's not like the athlete is going to give up until he just can't go anymore. Seizures just don't heal. They are a sign that something isn't right.

Since when are his injuries affecting his legs? Speculation if conditions go worse he would be in wheel chair. Dude destroyed a hospital bed after he was taken to hospital. That does not sound like injury affects he limbs.

BroncoNut
02-27-2014, 11:32 AM
thank God the medical experts showed up

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 12:31 PM
damn, TJR! i love ya, man, but you take pessimism to untold heights. . . how in the world do you get this;

from this?

Totally agree. In regards to him coming back, he was totally upbeat about that, he praised the doctors, etc., for their efforts, etc.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
from article:

Wolfe is finally healthy again and spoke to CBS4’s Tom Helmer — his first public comments since that scary day in November.

He was wrong. Wolfe fell unconscious and was rushed to the hospital. He didn’t wake up until 26 hours later. It turned out Wolfe had a bruised spine. It most likely occurred in the Aug. 17 preseason game against Seattle when he suffered a neck injury.

“I thought it was fully healed. I came back a little too soon and just kept hitting it, kept hitting it, kept hitting it. It screwed my nervous system up a little bit; it just kind of crisscrossed the wires a little bit.

Wolfe spent four days in the hospital. When he got out doctors told him all he could do was rest.

“Just take a break. Go home and don’t even come around. Just go home and rest. So I just kind of locked myself in the house and relaxed and tried not to watch any football, really, because it just would stress you out a little bit.”

Wolfe is 100 percent now and says he expects 2014 to be his best year yet.

full article, plus video
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/26/derek-wolfe-cleared-speaks-publically-for-first-time-since-seizure/

weazel
02-27-2014, 01:03 PM
flu like symptoms is not the flu

Timmy!
02-27-2014, 01:05 PM
In conclusion, he's been medically cleared to play, and appears confident. Can he play? We will find out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
In conclusion, he's been medically cleared to play, and appears confident. Can he play? We will find out.

When Miller is in the lineup and he's healthy, you can bet your sweet cheeks he can play.

luckyseven
02-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Same applies to Manning. They are adults and have received doctors advice. They know the risks.

GEM
02-27-2014, 03:24 PM
The Broncos need to fire their medical staff and just hire the docs around here. :cheers:

G_Money
02-27-2014, 03:48 PM
I work cheap, and I can't be much worse. :salute:

Also, these hamstring issues every training camp will be a thing of the past.

~G

G_Money
02-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Seriously tho, this is not the sort of thing that a team's medical staff is necessarily equipped to diagnose. They tend to do soft tissue and bone injuries, and leave the brain to other people (aside from that 6th-grader "concussion testing" they do).

Neurological issues are not a team doc thing, they're an outsourced thing. I wish more teams WOULD take the neuro in house... but then, would you trust them if they did? "Nah, that wasn't a concussion, you're fine."

Probly better to have it outsourced - just need to find a good neuro doc when you need one, and Wolfe didn't. Hope you're healthy, HEALED, and ready to go by camp big fella!

~G

GEM
02-27-2014, 03:57 PM
The Broncos do have a neuro on the field at games. Not sure if they follow up with the same guy, but it's one of the guys from St Anthony's. My mom works there and was saying something about it.

Hawgdriver
03-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Seriously tho, this is not the sort of thing that a team's medical staff is necessarily equipped to diagnose. They tend to do soft tissue and bone injuries, and leave the brain to other people (aside from that 6th-grader "concussion testing" they do).

Neurological issues are not a team doc thing, they're an outsourced thing. I wish more teams WOULD take the neuro in house... but then, would you trust them if they did? "Nah, that wasn't a concussion, you're fine."

Probly better to have it outsourced - just need to find a good neuro doc when you need one, and Wolfe didn't. Hope you're healthy, HEALED, and ready to go by camp big fella!

~G

Sounds like he's a gamer, but I'm concerned for his short long term health. His situation reminds me of Clint Malarchuk, NHL goaltender who took a blade to the jugular. He recovered, played again, but had serious psychological issues both on and off the ice thereafter. He played the roll of tough guy--he was one--but his career went into decline and he ended up in bad shape after the NHL.

I know it's a stretch comparison, but it's just a gut feeling I've had since the injury in preseason. It seemed serious then, in a life-threatening way. I hope I'm way off my hunch, because he can contribute, and because that would just suck for him to have to deal with more collateral issues.

dogfish
03-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Sounds like he's a gamer, but I'm concerned for his short long term health. His situation reminds me of Clint Malarchuk, NHL goaltender who took a blade to the jugular. He recovered, played again, but had serious psychological issues both on and off the ice thereafter. He played the roll of tough guy--he was one--but his career went into decline and he ended up in bad shape after the NHL.

I know it's a stretch comparison, but it's just a gut feeling I've had since the injury in preseason. It seemed serious then, in a life-threatening way. I hope I'm way off my hunch, because he can contribute, and because that would just suck for him to have to deal with more collateral issues.

it's one of those situations. . . since we aren't privy to the real details, there's really not much more you can do than trust the professionals. . . naturally, i'm sure we all share your sentiments-- especially as wolfe seems like a good kid. . . since we rarely ever see a dire event on the field, i tend to feel like the various team medical staffs are competent at foreseeing and avoiding that kind of stuff. . . obviously, no one's perfect, but they should have the best medical are that money can buy. . .

i thought he was starting to get his confidence back and play like he's capable before he went down again. . . we'll see, but i'll be rooting for him to come back strong-- even more for his sake than the broncos'. . . of course, he does need to heed the physicians' advice and preserve his own health as a top priority. . . be a shame to see him forced into retirement so early, though, so i'll hold out hope that it was a very frightening, but ultimately transitory issue. . . best of luck to him either way. . .

OrangeHoof
03-01-2014, 08:22 AM
All those "competent medical experts" cleared him to play once already which led to more seizures.

I wish him the best but I think he's better off thinking about a career away from football.

Superchop 7
03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
The guy just needs to go to Ada, Oklahoma and get an MRI from the "best" machine in the country, friggin thing can show a heart in 3D while beating. Sometimes it is the tools you are using.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2014, 02:33 PM
The guy just needs to go to Ada, Oklahoma and get an MRI from the "best" machine in the country, friggin thing can show a heart in 3D while beating. Sometimes it is the tools you are using.

I would believe that everything was done on Derek after he suffered seizure like symptoms. The diagnosis ended up being that the spinal cord was bruised, and only rest would heal it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2014, 02:42 PM
this article was updated yesterday - may contain some additional information

AURORA, Colo. -- Denver Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe says he's finally healthy after suffering a seizure in November that doctors now believe was related to the spinal cord injury he suffered in the preseason.

In an interview outside his home with Denver television stations KCNC and KMGH this week, Wolfe said he's back up to 280 pounds, having regained 20 of the 30 pounds he lost last season, and will resume training next week.

"I'm ready to go. I'm going to be better than I was," said Wolfe, who had been reticent to talk to reporters during the season as he and his doctors were stumped by his symptoms that included weight loss and irritability.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10534595/derek-wolfe-denver-broncos-ready-return-football-seizure

Simple Jaded
03-02-2014, 01:18 AM

from this?

Every time TJR posts I get "She's a Lady" playing in my head, that's good, solid entertainment. "Oh, wo, wo wo, she's a lady".

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvmyTZEqlo8&feature=kp

Please don't ever change your screen name TomJonesRocks, what you lack in optimism you make up for in cheesy music.

TXBRONC
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Every time TJR posts I get "She's a Lady" playing in my head, that's good, solid entertainment. "Oh, wo, wo wo, she's a lady".

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvmyTZEqlo8&feature=kp

Please don't ever change your screen name TomJonesRocks, what you lack in optimism you make up for in cheesy music.

You know why he chose TomJonesRocks don't you?

It's because EngelbertHumperdinckRocks is way to freaking long. :laugh:

Superchop 7
03-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Carol, I can not believe you would say this to me, you just said publically.....do not get the best treatment available.

Pudge
03-04-2014, 12:10 AM
It almost seemed like carol insinuated you are a moron, or maybe I just interpreted it that way because that's what I think

tomjonesrocks
03-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Every time TJR posts I get "She's a Lady" playing in my head, that's good, solid entertainment. "Oh, wo, wo wo, she's a lady". http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvmyTZEqlo8&feature=kp Please don't ever change your screen name TomJonesRocks, what you lack in optimism you make up for in cheesy music.

It's cliche, but am partial to "Delilah" personally. "She's Was My Woman" can't be belted more convincingly...