This is our guy. :defense:

I wish

OB
02-26-2014, 04:14 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$

tubby
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I wish

Until he is signed elsewhere, I will hold out hope that Denver can land him. Baller.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Until he is signed elsewhere, I will hold out hope that Denver can land him. Baller.

I'd take him in a heart beat. He has to want to get away from that hell.

tubby
02-26-2014, 04:31 PM
I'd take him in a heart beat. He has to want to get away from that hell.

He is available. Cleveland cut him this afternoon.

RebelRocker
02-26-2014, 04:31 PM
He is a fit for us in so many ways.

Proven 3 down 4-3 ILB
Very productive in a 4-3
Has played in many different schemes
Only 30 years old, so we can still get him at a productive level for
3-5 years
Eliminates the need for taking a LB early in the draft
Has never played for a playoff team, so being with a super bowl
contending team could be appealing to him.
To the point above, he may come at a more reasonable price for that reason
Seems to be a good locker room guy
JDR seems to like veteran ILB's

This dude is the definition of a fit. I hope we sign him

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
He is available. Cleveland cut him this afternoon.

He's going to get a lot of interest. I dont know that it's something we can afford. I can see him getting what he was getting with Cleveland. 7-8 mil a year

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
One of the best unheralded linebackers in the league.

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Ok I am listening...

Fills a position of great need on a team wanting to win now. Would let us focus on a DE and the secodary early in the draft. I like his leadership and seems to be well respected around the league. Danny T, Jackson and Miller would be a very intense set of LBs....now just get more explosive on the edges!

With the cap now being reported to exceed well over 130 mill we would have enough money for a couple of solid free agents. Maybe Jackson and Delmas are both what our defense needs. Resign DRC, redo Champs deal and let him play nickle then hopefully Elway can work magic with Chris Harris on a new deal. Harris coming off an ACL injury isnt going to be appealing on the open market but I would like to see a deal done NOW on Harris before he comes back and plays lights out again next year. If we wait then Harris might get more money in 2015.

Don't want to get my hopes up because things never really go according to plan in the offseason. One things for sure though, Elway has a way of suprising us. He also has a way of working magic to get these guys signed.

underrated29
02-26-2014, 04:52 PM
I heard we tagged Harris with a 2rd RFA....We do not expect anyone to sign him away for that and will likely lock him up longterm in the near future.

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I heard we tagged Harris with a 2rd RFA....We do not expect anyone to sign him away for that and will likely lock him up longterm in the near future.

Lock him up now before he plays another year. Think we could get a better deal if we did.

Or just let him play out this year and then we pay up the ying yang.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Lock him up now before he plays another year. Think we could get a better deal if we did.

Or just let him play out this year and then we pay up the ying yang.

I just dont see Harris getting more than 3 mil a year on the market.

BigDaddyBronco
02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Would you rather spend 7-8 million on Decker or Jackson......

That is an easy one for me, we can draft another WR in the mid rounds.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 05:08 PM

I agree...I just dont know that we go that route. I'd love to get Allen and Jackson in via FA and draft for secondary, but I think those 2 would take up a little more of the cap space than what we are wanting to shell out.

SR
02-26-2014, 05:22 PM

That's a no-brainer if you ask me.

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Jacksons going to get 8 mill a year??

dogfish
02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
PFT identifies us as a good fit for jackson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/broncos-titans-among-teams-who-could-be-fits-for-dqwell-jackson/#respond)

I agree...I just dont know that we go that route. I'd love to get Allen and Jackson in via FA and draft for secondary, but I think those 2 would take up a little more of the cap space than what we are wanting to shell out.

well, jacob tamme's slated to make three million this year that should be coming off the books, plus whatever kupe's making, and whatever money we end up saving from champ's contract. . . there's no reason we couldn't sign both players, IF bowlen would give them the green light to spend right up to the cap this year. . . come on, old man, you got two extra games this year!

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I think either Dreesen or Tamme are going to be gone this offseason.

Julius Thomas proved he is an elite pass catching TE. Thomas went beat mode last year and put one of our other TEs on the hot seat. The crazy part is ALL of our TEs are really good. Dreesen has done very well himself as a pass catching TE but I dont think we will roll with two next year. Jacob Tamme is a little closer to Manning plus he is also a better blocking TE than either Thomas or Dreesen which makes me believe Dreesen could be the odd man out.

Sad to say it Dreesen would be a perfect fit in NE paired up with Gronk. Could also see Atlanta picking him up.

tubby
02-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Come on fella....
Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington · 8m
I spoke to D'Qwell Jackson (@dq52), and while he's asked me not to share the teams yet, he already has visit for tomorrow in a great place.

1. Denver Broncos. Middle linebackers Wesley Woodyard and Paris Lenon are unrestricted free agents. Broncos director of pro personnel Tom Heckert was the Browns’ G.M. before joining Denver and was part of the Cleveland front office that signed Jackson to his contract extension two years ago. Frankly, this is a fit that makes a lot of sense: Jackson would finally get to play for a winner, and he likely would have a key backer in Heckert.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah but Heckert was probably drunk.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah but Heckert was probably drunk.

yea, but that's also how he does all his best work. . . :drinking:

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Come on fella....

He isnt going to last long on the open market.

underrated29
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
PFT identifies us as a good fit for jackson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/broncos-titans-among-teams-who-could-be-fits-for-dqwell-jackson/#respond)

well, jacob tamme's slated to make three million this year that should be coming off the books, plus whatever kupe's making, and whatever money we end up saving from champ's contract. . . there's no reason we couldn't sign both players, IF bowlen would give them the green light to spend right up to the cap this year. . . come on, old man, you got two extra games this year!

Dont recall where I had heard this but I am pretty sure tamme is staying. They like Tamme a lot as backup WR and in the slot in place of welker....

Kupe, Joel(who I like a lot- imo our most complete TE), lennon (we still have bradley) and Jammer will all not be back and will free up 8-12mil? IIRC...there might be another guy or two in there- OL or mincey or something that gets us up there...But last I heard we were going to free up about 10 mil in cap space by cutting 4-5 guys who did little to nothing for us. Tamme, though I believe was not one of them.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Dont recall where I had heard this but I am pretty sure tamme is staying. They like Tamme a lot as backup WR and in the slot in place of welker....

Kupe, Joel(who I like a lot- imo our most complete TE), lennon (we still have bradley) and Jammer will all not be back and will free up 8-12mil? IIRC...there might be another guy or two in there- OL or mincey or something that gets us up there...But last I heard we were going to free up about 10 mil in cap space by cutting 4-5 guys who did little to nothing for us. Tamme, though I believe was not one of them.

he should be, or he should be adjusted to a minimum deal. . .

also, lenon, bradley, and jammer are already FAs, so we can't save money by cutting them. . . dreesen and kuper will almost certainly be cut, though. . .

dogfish
02-26-2014, 07:12 PM
In the wake of the Browns’ decision to part ways with veteran linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, Mike Wilkening identified the teams that could be interested in adding him.

There wasn’t much time for speculation.

Jeff Darlington of NFL Network reports that Jackson already has a visited lined up for Thursday. Jackson has declined to name the team, but he calls it a “great place.”

Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that, in all, seven teams have contacted Jackson. Seven teams. In just a few hours.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
The Browns are a train wreck.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 07:26 PM
The Browns are a train wreck.

more like a dumpster fire built on the debris of a trainwreck. . .

DenBronx
02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
They have a handfull of good players that are buried under 100 ft of crap. Jackson was one of the few good players they did have AND had cap space to keep him.

Yes train wreck indeed.

7 teams already inquired in just a few hours. This guys market value is going to be high, which worries me. I doubt Denver wants to get into a bidding war this early.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2014, 08:39 PM
yea, but that's also how he does all his best work. . . :drinking:

Anything worth doing is worth doing drunk, I think.

slim
02-26-2014, 08:40 PM
They have a handfull of good players that are buried under 100 ft of crap. Jackson was one of the few good players they did have AND had cap space to keep him.

Yes train wreck indeed.

7 teams already inquired in just a few hours. This guys market value is going to be high, which worries me. I doubt Denver wants to get into a bidding war this early.

How many inquired about Peyton Manning?

If John is interested, I like our chances.

Dapper Dan
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
I really hope Tamme gives up some money. I don't know that he's worth $3million unless someone gets hurt and he has to play a lot all season. I'd love to keep him just to be safe. He's good at being at the right place at the right time to keep drives going.

slim
02-26-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't see why they would bring back Tamme at $3M. I know they have been toying with Gerrell Robison as a TE (I guess he has bulked up some) and they like him in that role.

dogfish
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM

Yes train wreck indeed.

i actually think they have more talent than that. . . taylor, rubin, sheard and jackson (before today) in the front seven, tj ward and haden in the secondary, mack and thomas on the line, josh gordon and jordan cameron. . . they're not as strapped for talent as their record would indicate. . . it's the lack of a pro QB and their abortion of a front office that makes them such a disaster. . . i think a program builder like harbaugh or carroll could turn that organization around pretty quickly. . . JMO. . .

damn right!

NightTerror218
02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Gimmie Jackson and say bye to decker, I really like decker but Jackson could fix defense for years manning can turn some random WR into a producer like budda.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Gimmie Jackson and say bye to decker, I really like decker but Jackson could fix defense for years manning can turn some random WR into a producer like budda.

So if we have the luxury to spend on free agents then why not just keep our record setting offense together and just draft all defense? There are already 7 teams interested in Jackson so I believe he is going to cost alot of $$$$.

Makes sense to cut Tamme or Dreesen as well as Champ to make it happen.

Here are 5 players that are going to make a big diiference next year.

Derek Wolfe
Von Miller
Rahim Moore
Kevin Vickerson
Ryan Clady

I can't help but think the game against Seattle would have been a REAL game had they all been healthy. So why not plan on these guys making a comeback, keep our offense and draft defense early if guys like Jackson or Jared Allen are going to cost the same as Decker?

dogfish
02-27-2014, 12:43 AM
So if we have the luxury to spend on free agents then why not just keep our record setting offense together and just draft all defense? There are already 7 teams interested in Jackson so I believe he is going to cost alot of $$$$.

Derek Wolfe
Von Miller
Rahim Moore
Kevin Vickerson
Ryan Clady

I can't help but think the game against Seattle would have been a REAL game had they all been healthy. So why not plan on these guys making a comeback, keep our offense and draft defense early if guys like Jackson or Jared Allen are going to cost the same as Decker?

diminishing returns. . . we threw 55 TDs last year-- and got smoked by a more balanced team when it mattered. . . last time pey pey had a record-setting offense, they didn't win it that year either. . . decker and our big, bad offense looked like helpless kittens against a physical D. . . nobody knows for sure if moore, wolfe or vick will even play next year, let alone whether they'll be any good. . . we can't count on von miller either. . . defense is in DESPERATE, painful need of help. . . we were lucky to face a diminished AFC this year-- we won't make it as far as we did this season if we don't get at least decent on that side of the ball, and a couple drafts picks at the end of each round isn't anywhere near close to enough help. . .

trust me, you guys will get over decker when we still throw 45 or 50 TDs next year, and can actually compete on defense. . . ;)

VonDoom
02-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Come on fella....

Forgot all about Heckert. This is beginning to seem more like a possibility than the usual "bring in XX" threads at this time of year.

TXBRONC
02-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Receivers is very difficult position to transition from college to the pros. I agree Jackson would be a nice pick up but look Elway's in dealing with free agents. Since he's the V.P. of player opperations he doesn't dive deeply if at all into the intial free agent frenzy.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Derek Wolfe
Von Miller
Rahim Moore
Kevin Vickerson
Ryan Clady

Because even with these guys on the field defense had its issues....see Indy game. MLB has been a missing position and they were switching players up since 3/4 way through season to mix the MLB position. He is a need Woodward was not the answer irving was not. Signing a vet brings in a stop gap player ready to go rather then waiting for a rookie to get use to game. Manning is only playing for so long and 30 is not too old for MLB and you can not draft leadership as easily. But he will take into account pay as well as super bowl chances before he signs.

Since when did I say luxury I am saying pick one guy over the other. Manning is still throwing to 3 pro bowl caliber players. I would draft a WR burner for deep threat since we have not had one. Torrent smith type.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Receivers is very difficult position to transition from college to the pros. I agree Jackson would be a nice pick up but look Elway's in dealing with free agents. Since he's the V.P. of player opperations he doesn't dive deeply if at all into the intial free agent frenzy.

Except vasquez and Welker. He targets and wins.

OB
02-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I heard he is meeting with the Broncos today??? Anyone else hear that?

Timmy!
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Pleeeeeeeeaaase make this happen. A real mike would be so nice. If we could land jackson and Allen for something like 13-15 mil I will do back flips.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
I heard he is meeting with the Broncos today??? Anyone else hear that?

Where did you hear that?

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Where did you hear that?

I saw this on twitter, but then I saw Klis dismiss the rumor

OB
02-27-2014, 01:21 PM
A facebook friend and he just posted the rumor has been squashed :(

Damn you social media

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 02:14 PM
A facebook friend and he just posted the rumor has been squashed :(

Damn you social media

But. It was on Facebook. It has to be true if it's on Facebook.

OB
02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
But. It was on Facebook. It has to be true if it's on Facebook.

Bite me midget

dogfish
02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Bam!

d'qwell jackson scheduled to meet with broncos this weekend (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/27/report-dqwell-jackson-to-visit-titans-broncos/)

:defense:

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:19 PM
I thought the free agent period didnt start until March 11th? I know these guys can interview now but LaCanfora is making it sound like these players will sign with new teams before that. Are there certain exemptions for player who were released before a deadline? Guess I am missing the mark here.

BroncoJoe
02-27-2014, 05:20 PM
I thought the free agent period didnt start until March 11th? I know these guys can interview now but LaCanfora is making it sound like these players will sign with new teams before that. Are there certain exemptions for player who were released before a deadline? Guess I am missing the mark here.

He was cut.

UnderArmour
02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Released veterans with more than 4 accrued league years can sign immediately because they are not subject to the waivers process.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Bam!

d'qwell jackson scheduled to meet with broncos this weekend (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/27/report-dqwell-jackson-to-visit-titans-broncos/)

I'm not as excited about grabbing him as I was a day ago. His play really slipped last year and he's on the wrong side of 30.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Released veterans with more than 4 accrued league years can sign immediately because they are not subject to the waivers process.

Ok thats what I was thinking. Just wasnt sure. So if he visits and all goes well then Jackson could sign as early as this weekend with us.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm not as excited about grabbing him as I was a day ago. His play really slipped last year and he's on the wrong side of 30.

No.

He was just on the wrong side of the NFL. The Browns.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
No.

He was just on the wrong side of the NFL. The Browns.

The Browns had a very talented defense last year and he's had many good years there with a lot of different coaches. The fact is his productivity slipped last year. I'm tired of Denver using stop game Mike's. I would love to see them fill the spot with someone who's young AND talented.

underrated29
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Bam!

Just out of curiosity. All things equal (contract etc) who would you rather us land if only one can be had.

DQ or Allen?

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 05:39 PM
The Browns had a very talented defense last year and he's had many good years there with a lot of different coaches. The fact is his productivity slipped last year. I'm tired of Denver using stop game Mike's. I would love to see them fill the spot with someone who's young AND talented.

He was seventh in the LEAGUE in tackles, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. His production didn't slip at all. I'll admit to not seeing a lot of Cleveland games, but his production didn't slip at all.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Just out of curiosity. All things equal (contract etc) who would you rather us land if only one can be had.

DQ or Allen?

DE Trent Murphy round 1 of the draft would be nice. We could actually stay put and draft Murphy at 31. If not then Jared Allen would fit like a glove here in Denver.

MLB Mosely we might have to trade up for. I don't really like the idea of losing draft picks if we dont need to. If we signed Jackson then that wont happen anyway.

Demarcus Ware would also be incredible in this defense. But Jared Allen is maybe the guy I want here most.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 05:56 PM
He was seventh in the LEAGUE in tackles, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. His production didn't slip at all. I'll admit to not seeing a lot of Cleveland games, but his production didn't slip at all.

I'm referring to how he graded out. He had a lot of tackles yes, but he also only had one ff and one int. I'm not saying he sucks. What I am saying is there is statistical evidence he is starting to lose a step.

TXBRONC
02-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Because even with these guys on the field defense had its issues....see Indy game. MLB has been a missing position and they were switching players up since 3/4 way through season to mix the MLB position. He is a need Woodward was not the answer irving was not. Signing a vet brings in a stop gap player ready to go rather then waiting for a rookie to get use to game. Manning is only playing for so long and 30 is not too old for MLB and you can not draft leadership as easily. But he will take into account pay as well as super bowl chances before he signs.

Since when did I say luxury I am saying pick one guy over the other. Manning is still throwing to 3 pro bowl caliber players. I would draft a WR burner for deep threat since we have not had one. Torrent smith type.

Demaryius is a deep threat.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Demaryius is a deep threat.

Thomas is the jack of all trades screens middle deep. He does it all.

He is the best after the catch and led WR in yards after catch this season.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Thomas is the jack of all trades screens middle deep. He does it all.

He is the best after the catch and led WR in yards after catch this season.

He's a complete WR.

Was shocked to see him get man handled by Seattle though.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 06:40 PM
I did not want to start a thread for the following - thought it might fit here ok

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 47m

Keep in mind, a lot of what the Broncos want to do in free agency hinges on how they settle up with Champ Bailey. Talks ongoing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
He's a complete WR.

He had 13 catches for 120 yards and a TD. That's not exactly man handled. Yes, their game plan allowed the safeties to be more physical with him because they weren't respecting the deep ball. Their game plan was to pressure Manning and jump all of the short routes.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 06:42 PM
He's a complete WR.

Kind of hard for him to play the way he had all year with a dislocated shoulder, which he suffered in the 1st qtr.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 06:42 PM
I did not want to start a thread for the following - thought it might fit here ok

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 47m

Keep in mind, a lot of what the Broncos want to do in free agency hinges on how they settle up with Champ Bailey. Talks ongoing.

Sometimes I wonder where Vic is coming from. How does a lot of what we do in FA hinge on what happens with Champ? It's pretty obvious they're not going to pay him 8 fgures, and whatever happens our needs still stay about the same whether or not he stays.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 06:43 PM

DQ or Allen?

allen! all day, err day. . . he's the top free agent i want, including all of our own guys. . . JA and a top corner like DRC are the very top of my wishlist. . . obviously, not that i'd complain at all about adding a quality vet MIKE. . . i think JA's the one guy that could really put the D over the top, though. . .

underrated29
02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
DE Trent Murphy round 1 of the draft would be nice. We could actually stay put and draft Murphy at 31. If not then Jared Allen would fit like a glove here in Denver.

MLB Mosely we might have to trade up for. I don't really like the idea of losing draft picks if we dont need to. If we signed Jackson then that wont happen anyway.

Demarcus Ware would also be incredible in this defense. But Jared Allen is maybe the guy I want here most.

Yeah.

Id rather have Allen personally. I would like DQ and Allen, but I think Allen could do more for us than a LB like DQ could.

underrated29
02-27-2014, 06:46 PM
allen! all day, err day. . . he's the top free agent i want, including all of our own guys. . . JA and a top corner like DRC are the very top of my wishlist. . . obviously, not that i'd complain at all about adding a quality vet MIKE. . . i think JA's the one guy that could really put the D over the top, though. . .

lol...exactly what I was thinking. Infact, you beat me to it by less than a minute.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 06:51 PM
He had 13 catches for 120 yards and a TD. That's not exactly man handled. Yes, their game plan allowed the safeties to be more physical with him because they weren't respecting the deep ball. Their game plan was to pressure Manning and jump all of the short routes.

Sorry, wasnt referring to that he didnt produce. Just didnt expect to see him get blasted so bad on a few of those plays.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Sorry, wasnt referring to that he didnt produce. Just didnt expect to see him get blasted so bad on a few of those plays.

Yeah, their game plan worked really well, and we did a crappy job of adjusting. DT actually got behind their secondary a few times, but Manning didn't have time to make it happen.

Ravage!!!
02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Of course we want the players we grab to be YOUNG and Talented.. I mean, who doesn't want that?!?!?! But then those, DON'T hit FA, and they do NOT come cheap (since everyone complains about paying anyone around here). So although this MLB isn't the youngest, he isn't finished at all, not at that position, and he IS talented. We would ALL love to have YOUNG and TALENTED players at all positions, but that's not realistic. Drafting a talented guy doesn't mean much considering we never know how they will transition to the NFL. This guy HAS transitioned to the NFL and has PROVED to be a very good LB. Give me the proven commodity over the crap-shoot.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 07:31 PM
He's a complete WR.

Man handled? he still had a good game over 100 yards. Imo he was only one to have a good game.

Ravage!!!
02-27-2014, 07:39 PM
He had a good game, but we were sure to line him up against the weaker of the two CBs. I'll say this, t hough. DT played harder in that game than I've ever seen him. I hope he learned something about himself that game, because I sure felt something different.....other than the fact that I made a bet he would fumble once during that game, and HATED that I won.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Of course we want the players we grab to be YOUNG and Talented.. I mean, who doesn't want that?!?!?! But then those, DON'T hit FA, and they do NOT come cheap (since everyone complains about paying anyone around here). So although this MLB isn't the youngest, he isn't finished at all, not at that position, and he IS talented. We would ALL love to have YOUNG and TALENTED players at all positions, but that's not realistic. Drafting a talented guy doesn't mean much considering we never know how they will transition to the NFL. This guy HAS transitioned to the NFL and has PROVED to be a very good LB. Give me the proven commodity over the crap-shoot.

I understand that....all I'm saying is it has been a decade since we had a talented Mike. I'm tired of retreads, and no one here really knows how much he has left in the tank.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Sometimes I wonder where Vic is coming from. How does a lot of what we do in FA hinge on what happens with Champ? It's pretty obvious they're not going to pay him 8 fgures, and whatever happens our needs still stay about the same whether or not he stays.

I would assume the Broncos are talking to Champ about taking a pay cut, restructuring his contract, etc., to free up money.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
I would assume the Broncos are talking to Champ about taking a pay cut, restructuring his contract, etc., to free up money.

I know Carol, I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious it's going to go down whether Champ likes it or not. Whether or not he comes back our needs remain the same. At this point him being on the roster only provides depth. We can't count on him to be a playmaker any more.

ShaneFalco
02-27-2014, 08:21 PM
no thanks D jackson aint anything special. If your gunna go for a good FA, go after jairus.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
no thanks D jackson aint anything special. If your gunna go for a good FA, go after jairus.

Just a good under rated player is all that would fill a leadership need and a position need

spikerman
02-27-2014, 09:46 PM
You guys have been watching a different NFL than me. Jackson is a VERY solid MLB, and let's face it, solid is a lot better than what the Broncos have been putting on the field recently.

OrangeHoof
02-27-2014, 10:12 PM

Traffic court.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 10:23 PM
from article:

The Broncos need a middle linebacker who does not qualify for a 35-and-over league. D'Qwell Jackson is a 30-year-old inside linebacker in need of a team.

The two will get together at the Broncos headquarters at Dove Valley for a visit Monday, according to an NFL source.

AND

Although he has never been to the Pro Bowl, he led the NFL in 2008 with 154 tackles and was second in 2011 with 158 tackles.

Selected in the second round in the 2006 draft out of Maryland, Jackson has been on the Broncos' radar off-and-on since middle linebacker Al Wilson suffered a neck injury late in the 2006 season.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25243918/dqwell-jackson-visit-broncos-option-inside-linebacker-job

dogfish
02-27-2014, 10:29 PM
You guys have been watching a different NFL than me. Jackson is a VERY solid MLB, and let's face it, solid is a lot better than what the Broncos have been putting on the field recently.

i think al's the only one who doesn't like him. . .

ShaneFalco
02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
he is 30 years old... this is just looking worse by the moment.

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 11:06 PM
he is 30 years old... this is just looking worse by the moment.

Yes. It's clearly a disaster of epic proportions.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Jackson set to visit the Broncos AND the Titans AND 5 other teams.

7 teams in just 1 day. That's the problem. He is going to draw alot of intrest and do we really want to get into a bidding war?

Maybe wait a little late into the FA period and we will find another bargain. Just depends on what its going to cost for Jackson....even though he would fill a huge need.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM

You plan on paying for him? Byrd is going to cost 9 mil a year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
You plan on paying for him? Byrd is going to cost 9 mil a year.

Byrd is probably going to get tagged again.

RebelRocker
02-28-2014, 10:38 AM
I understand that....all I'm saying is it has been a decade since we had a talented Mike. I'm tired of retreads, and no one here really knows how much he has left in the tank.

I agree and feel the same way as you, but I'm going to see this situation as a realist. For whatever reason JDR likes to have veterans in the ILB spot and this interest in Jackson makes sense for a bunch of reasons.

I'd much rather have us draft a guy and plug him in on day one to be the guy there, but JDR seems to prefer veteran ILB's in his defense

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
I agree and feel the same way as you, but I'm going to see this situation as a realist. For whatever reason JDR likes to have veterans in the ILB spot and this interest in Jackson makes sense for a bunch of reasons.

I'd much rather have us draft a guy and plug him in on day one to be the guy there, but we JDR seems to prefer veteran ILB's in his defense

Draft who? As far as I am concerned, the MLB class is pretty weak this year

GEM
02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
more like a dumpster fire built on the debris of a trainwreck. . .

Remember Silver Blacks old dumpster fire signature after Shanny picked up their entire defensive line?>

:laugh:

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Jackson set to visit the Broncos AND the Titans AND 5 other teams.

7 teams in just 1 day. That's the problem. He is going to draw alot of intrest and do we really want to get into a bidding war?

Maybe wait a little late into the FA period and we will find another bargain. Just depends on what its going to cost for Jackson....even though he would fill a huge need.

Def not 7 visits in one day lol

Elway will pitch to him and that will be his only offer. Jackson can sign it or Denver will move on. He is not Peyton Manning he will not get bid on by elway. Elway will have his value to him before he walks in door.

RebelRocker
02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Exactly. That is why I think we'll sign a veteran. When I say I'd much rather draft a guy, I mean that in general and not specific to this year.

dogfish
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM

seems like middle linebacker is weak every year. . .

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
seems like middle linebacker is weak every year. . .

Mostly because it's not as big of a position of need in the last few years. Even if we picked up Jackson...how often will he see the field on 3rd down? Trevathan will be there for coverage and Miller will be there to rush the passer. The only teams that use the position seriously are ball control/run oriented teams.

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Mostly because it's not as big of a position of need in the last few years. Even if we picked up Jackson...how often will he see the field on 3rd down? Trevathan will be there for coverage and Miller will be there to rush the passer. The only teams that use the position seriously are ball control/run oriented teams.

Depends on if 3rd and long or not. Jackson is not bad in coverage and can blitz as well. 1 int and 7 pass deflections last season. But he would be better if we are in our base however.

Ziggy
02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Jackson is better than anyone the Broncos have had at MLB since Al Wilson. He's also the same type of leader. This D needs that leadership and that fire. MLB and a pass rushing D end would completely change the scope of this D.

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Jackson is better than anyone the Broncos have had at MLB since Al Wilson. He's also the same type of leader. This D needs that leadership and that fire. MLB and a pass rushing D end would completely change the scope of this D.

Amen to that. Making front 7 better will help the back end. Plus Moore coming back will help as well.

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Plus Moore coming back will help as well.

Don't tell Chazoe that. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Amen to that. Making front 7 better will help the back end. Plus Moore coming back will help as well.

If Carter is healthy he can probably fill our need at SS as well. He's bulked up since his rookie year.

Lancane
02-28-2014, 03:41 PM
If Carter is healthy he can probably fill our need at SS as well. He's bulked up since his rookie year.

Maybe, but Carter is a relative unknown still. He hasn't proven anything and I think the fact that the Broncos are looking at Delmas could well point to them seeing the same way.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Maybe, but Carter is a relative unknown still. He hasn't proven anything and I think the fact that the Broncos are looking at Delmas could well point to them seeing the same way.

Yeah, I understand that. I think the unknown with Carter has more to do with his health than his play on the field because when he played he was very effective.

Magnificent Seven
02-28-2014, 04:02 PM
This is our guy. :defense:

Is he that damn good?

luckyseven
02-28-2014, 04:16 PM
diminishing returns. . . we threw 55 TDs last year-- and got smoked by a more balanced team when it mattered. . . last time pey pey had a record-setting offense, they didn't win it that year either. . . decker and our big, bad offense looked like helpless kittens against a physical D. . . nobody knows for sure if moore, wolfe or vick will even play next year, let alone whether they'll be any good. . . we can't count on von miller either. . . defense is in DESPERATE, painful need of help. . . we were lucky to face a diminished AFC this year-- we won't make it as far as we did this season if we don't get at least decent on that side of the ball, and a couple drafts picks at the end of each round isn't anywhere near close to enough help. . .

trust me, you guys will get over decker when we still throw 45 or 50 TDs next year, and can actually compete on defense. . . ;) the defense in the SB did not crumble, given they had to defend very few long fields, I suspect if our STs and offense had not given them prime short fields, not to mention coughing the ball up just before scoring. It was not the D that lost that game. IMO

If we had protected Manning better and held on to the ball and not putting it on the ground, for that matter held on to balls after being hit, pretty sure the ball game would have been much tighter than it was May not have won it but would have been respectable.

luckyseven
02-28-2014, 04:20 PM

I agree if you are going to spend money or a draft choice on a true MLB then make sure he is an absolute 3 or 4 down player.
I think the MLB is going the way of a Dodo bird, just not relevant unless they can stay on the field in all conditions, downs and yardage. If not get a cheaper model and substitute like we have been.

DenBronx
02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
The Cardinals are also bringing in Jackson in case they cant come to terms with Dansby.

luckyseven
02-28-2014, 04:23 PM

yet he did not play almost 2 full years because he was injured. not as much wear and tear on that body. might not be as fast but with age comes knowledge that can over come speed. sometimes being in the right spot because you have seen that trick before makes speed irrelevant (less so)

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Don't tell Chazoe that. :D

I won't. I know he will throw down if moore starts next year and FS is not addressed which it wont be. IMO Moore played good until injured.

tubby
02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Is he that damn good?

Straight up. :defense:

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
I agree if you are going to spend money or a draft choice on a true MLB then make sure he is an absolute 3 or 4 down player.
I think the MLB is going the way of a Dodo bird, just not relevant unless they can stay on the field in all conditions, downs and yardage. If not get a cheaper model and substitute like we have been.

MLB the dodo bird hardly.

Lets look at top defenses. Keuchley, Danby, Wagner, Willis, bowman. MLB is still the center of defense. Some of the others top defenses have good MLB and WLB combos like Cincy

Lancane
02-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I think the unknown with Carter has more to do with his health than his play on the field because when he played he was very effective.

That's where I see it as well, there was enough promise from what we saw to be optimistic at the very least, but since the continuous amount of down time due to injury has made it hard to tell where he is at or if he even has a future beyond depth at this level.

dogfish
02-28-2014, 06:13 PM
That's where I see it as well, there was enough promise from what we saw to be optimistic at the very least, but since the continuous amount of down time due to injury has made it hard to tell where he is at or if he even has a future beyond depth at this level.

i liked carter better than moore when we drafted them, but yea. . . dude hasn't played in two years, and wasn't the most instinctive to begin with. . . even if he is healthy, no way the FO can afford to look at him as anything beyond camp competition at this point. . . if he can come back and play at a decent level, great, but we need to and almost certainly will give ourselves some better options. . . particularly if moore isn't all the way back, and i don't remember hearing anything about his rehab. . . we're painfully thin at the position right now, even assuming that nacho will be back-- definitely a spot that needs some work!

DenBronx
02-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Lets look at top defenses. Keuchley, Danby, Wagner, Willis, bowman. MLB is still the center of defense. Some of the others top defenses have good MLB and WLB combos like Cincy

The defenses that always seem to be in the top tier year in and year out always have a playmaker in the middle. No wonder Cincy made a turn around after getting Burfict, no wonder Carolina is now looking like a contender after getting Keuchley. Getting THAT kind of guy here in Denver is going to make our defense alot better.

NightTerror218
02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
The defenses that always seem to be in the top tier year in and year out always have a playmaker in the middle. No wonder Cincy made a turn around after getting Burfict, no wonder Carolina is now looking like a contender after getting Keuchley. Getting THAT kind of guy here in Denver is going to make our defense alot better.

Exactly someone she can disrupt the middle of field some and quick routes to let pass rush get there.

ShaneFalco
02-28-2014, 07:26 PM

i agree but jackson is a 30 yr old vet in the twilight of his career, that apparently wants a big contract, he is not a keuchley, not even close.

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
i agree but jackson is a 30 yr old vet in the twilight of his career, that apparently wants a big contract, he is not a keuchley, not even close.

Well, the Broncos can't have Kuechly, and there isn't a linebacker that good in this draft, either. I like Mosley, but the Broncos don't have the ammo to go up and get him without a pretty big sacrifice, and Jackson is going to be the best free agent ILB on the market,

dogfish
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Well, the Broncos can't have Kuechly, and there isn't a linebacker that good in this draft, either. I like Mosley, but the Broncos don't have the ammo to go up and get him without a pretty big sacrifice, and Jackson is going to be the best free agent ILB on the market,

mosley's not keuchly either (i know you know this), and neither is anyone else. . . that kid is a generational talent. . . still, we can all agree that we have a TON of room to improve at that spot. . . anyone who thinks a 30-year-old stud MIKE isn't a major upgrade from 35-year-old journeyman paris lenon is just being silly, even if jackson has dropped off a bit from his full prime. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 07:58 PM
mosley's not keuchly either (i know you know this), and neither is anyone else. . . that kid is a generational talent. . . still, we can all agree that we have a TON of room to improve at that spot. . . anyone who thinks a 30-year-old stud MIKE isn't a major upgrade from 35-year-old journeyman paris lenon is just being silly, even if jackson has dropped off a bit from his full prime. . .

Believe me, I know he's an upgrade, that is if we can land him. I'm just not anticipating that we're getting another Al Wilson if he chooses Denver.

Dapper Dan
02-28-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm still being a homer and hoping to draft AJ Johnson.

ShaneFalco
02-28-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm still being a homer and hoping to draft AJ Johnson.

there is a bunch of late MLBs i would take over a 30 year old asking for a multi year deal.

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 08:09 PM
there is a bunch of late MLBs i would take over a 30 year old asking for a multi year deal.

So you'd take a bunch of nobody late rounders over the seventh-best linebacker in the league last year?

Can you maybe share whatever it is you're smoking tonight, because that must be some good bud.

Dapper Dan
02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
I'd be fine with getting Jackson at a decent contract and drafting a guy.

ShaneFalco
02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
So you'd take a bunch of nobody late rounders over the seventh-best linebacker in the league last year?

Can you maybe share whatever it is you're smoking tonight, because that must be some good bud.

hes not the 7th best mlb in the league when heading 30+.

i dont see how this is any different then Lenon. Both old as shit being used as a filler. The difference is that lenon is super cheap, while Jackson is looking for a multi year deal.

I dont know if you could handle the Hindu Kush MO, but your welcome to try.

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 08:23 PM

The number you're stating is 30. Not 35 or 40.

You realize this, right?

ShaneFalco
02-28-2014, 08:26 PM
yes i do, and MLBs have about the same primetime shelf life as RBs. With a few exceptions with big names such as Urlacher.

anyways, going out, have a good friday night.

luckyseven
02-28-2014, 08:28 PM

Read the rest of the quote. They have to be 3-4 down guys not a run stopper only.

DenBronx
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM

It would certainly save us the headache of trading up and if a guy like Trent Murphy lands at 31 to us the that also helps the loss of Ayers.

dogfish
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
i will say one thing; it doesn't really look like he's going to reach the market, but if he does, i do think darryl smith might be a better fit for us. . . i'd say he's stronger in coverage, and that's huge for us. . .

Slick
02-28-2014, 09:34 PM

i dont see how this is any different then Lenon. Both old as shit being used as a filler. The difference is that lenon is super cheap, while Jackson is looking for a multi year deal.

I'll try it if Mo doesn't want to.

Dapper Dan
02-28-2014, 11:34 PM
It works out perfect. We sign Jackson and then draft AJ Johnson in the 2015 draft. Johnson takes over when Jackson gets too old.

I'll shoot John an email.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Pretend Jackson is a shitty QB, you'll come around.

DenBronx
03-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Cards trying to keep Dansby.

Looks like they flirted with Jackson to maybe make Dansby make a move.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/01/cardinals-trying-to-keep-karlos-dansby/

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Jacksons on his way to Miami. We couldnt get a deal done while he was here....so maybe he is wanting too much.

NightTerror218
03-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Jacksons on his way to Miami. We couldnt get a deal done while he was here....so maybe he is wanting too much.

Or he is keeping all options open and looking for best fit. His first time as a FA give him time lol.

DenBronx
03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Or he is keeping all options open and looking for best fit. His first time as a FA give him time lol.

Translation: How much $$$ can he fit into his wallet.

OB
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
I'll try it if Mo doesn't want to.

Me three :)

And I know this is a stupid question but do you really think some player with major talent would take an extra million a year to play on a sucky team vs taking less to play for a SB contender? Or do you think there are guys out there that think a ring is just as important as the money (once you reach a certain amount that is)

spikerman
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
He'd be crazy not to listen to all of the offers.

luckyseven
03-03-2014, 05:30 PM

not so sure.

how much cash is a super bowl ring worth maybe 2.

spikerman
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
not so sure.

how much cash is a super bowl ring worth maybe 2.
And what if he takes less and doesn't get a ring?

TXBRONC
03-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Me three :)

And I know this is a stupid question but do you really think some player with major talent would take an extra million a year to play on a sucky team vs taking less to play for a SB contender? Or do you think there are guys out there that think a ring is just as important as the money (once you reach a certain amount that is)

It depends on the players. Some are willing to take less money to play for a Super Bowl contender. Maybe I'm wrong about this but it seems it's generally older veteran players who are near the end of their careers who are more willing to do that. Younger player seems to look more at the money. That's my preception just my preception of it.

On a side note is that a picture of you in your avatar? :eyebrows:

TXBRONC
03-03-2014, 06:24 PM

I remember when Denver was trying bring in Jake Plummer as a free agent. He visited Denver and then went onto Chicago and maybe one other city before he signed with the Broncos.

luckyseven
03-03-2014, 07:16 PM
And what if he takes less and doesn't get a ring?

do you really think the fins are SB capable?

NightTerror218
03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
do you really think the fins are SB capable?

Its about the team and coaches as well. Money, SB chances, coaches/team are all thing to take into account. Many players take less to stay with a team or to go to a team that a certain coach is at. Doom took a pay cut to play under a former position coach in Baltimore.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2014, 08:21 PM
D'Qwell Jackson left Monday evening impressed with the Broncos, but not ready to call Denver home.

"He had a great visit," said Brian Mackler, Jackson's agent. "Very impressed. He's planning to make a decision by the end of the week."

Jackson, 30, is a middle linebacker who started the previous eight seasons with the Cleveland Browns. Released last week to avoid a $4 million roster bonus, Jackson became immediately in demand. He visited the Tennessee Titans and his former defensive coordinator Roy Horton on Saturday.

He visited the Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning, coach John Fox, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio and general manager John Elway among others at the team's Dove Valley headquarters on Monday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25267500/dqwell-jackson-impressed-broncos-but-not-ready-sign

luckyseven
03-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Its about the team and coaches as well. Money, SB chances, coaches/team are all thing to take into account. Many players take less to stay with a team or to go to a team that a certain coach is at. Doom took a pay cut to play under a former position coach in Baltimore.

he went to the ravens because he did not have a lot of options once he screwed up his option in Denver. Plus he thought they had a lot bigger chance to go to the next SB than say the fins.
going from over 9 million here in Denver to 1 million in Baltimore.

but good try.

Superchop 7
03-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Apparently, I have a lot of work to do here....A.....you came here....did you want to be a Bronco?.....apparently not....just Like Dwight Freeney.....do it for the check....you are somewhere....not here.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Translation: How much $$$ can he fit into his wallet.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

@schaffer76 @Joe_Solomon Never said he wasn't coming to Denver. But he'd be foolish not raise the stakes. Exactly what he's doing.

Lancane
03-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

@schaffer76 @Joe_Solomon Never said he wasn't coming to Denver. But he'd be foolish not raise the stakes. Exactly what he's doing.

Yeah...not sure Elway is someone I'd want to play poker against Carol!!!

MOtorboat
03-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Yeah...not sure Elway is someone I'd want to play poker against Carol!!!

But if I was a free agent for the first time in my ninth season and the only place I had played was Cleveland, I'd probably take the grand tour too.

Arizona...Sunshine and great weather. Denver, decent weather and a hell of a team. Miami, well, it's Miami.

dogfish
03-04-2014, 12:46 AM
But if I was a free agent for the first time in my ninth season and the only place I had played was Cleveland, I'd probably take the grand tour too.

Arizona...Sunshine and great weather. Denver, decent weather and a hell of a team. Miami, well, it's Miami.

if he signs in AZ it most likely means they can't and won't sign dansby. . . sign in AZ, d'qwell!

NightTerror218
03-04-2014, 12:56 AM
he went to the ravens because he did not have a lot of options once he screwed up his option in Denver. Plus he thought they had a lot bigger chance to go to the next SB than say the fins.
going from over 9 million here in Denver to 1 million in Baltimore.

but good try.

Even after the fax stuff Denver gave him an offer and picked ravens and his old Denver LB coach with less pay.

luckyseven
03-04-2014, 12:57 AM

in this scenario the only thing Miami has going for it is not state income tax, but then the cost of living there is probably much higher than Denver also. maybe a wash overall

MOtorboat
03-04-2014, 01:01 AM
in this scenario the only thing Miami has going for it is not state income tax, but then the cost of living there is probably much higher than Denver also. maybe a wash overall

Yeah, Miami has nothing going for it...

Good call.

luckyseven
03-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Even after the fax stuff Denver gave him an offer and picked ravens and his old Denver LB coach with less pay.

what was his offer from Denver? was it more than a million a year?

I do not remember any offer after the fax screw up. there were hard feelings on everyone part, considering he is a DE not sure what the LB coach has to do with it.

luckyseven
03-04-2014, 01:06 AM

Good call.

when do you think their QB is going to lead them to the play off let alone SB.

If you like bugs the size of small dogs Miami is the right place to go. Mosquitoes the size of parakeets also a great place to live. Night life sure but then that is just some place to get into trouble. Coaching staff screwed up like hogans goat and then there is ownership and GM, not much better.

Locker room had issues and that probably will not go away soon.

Night life 1 all the other things -6

but then he may think those are not important and go for party time. if that is the case he is not the right guy for the Broncos imo

dogfish
03-04-2014, 01:30 AM

Good call.

as a place to live?

ver' niiice. . .

as a football organization?

effin' toilet, and the entire world knows it. . . won't stop a guy from taking a payday if the numbers are different enough, but i think they'd REALLY have to pay a competitor like d'qwell to go to that abortion after how many years in the national nightmare known as cleveland. . . nah. . . he's most likely going there just to jack the price up for the better options, unless miami really gets stupid. . . obviousky, IMO. . .

besides, i want him to sign in AZ-- they have warm weather there too, right?

Dapper Dan
03-04-2014, 01:30 AM
as a place to live?

ver' niiice. . .

effin' toilet, and the entire world knows it. . . won't stop a guy from taking a payday if the numbers are different enough, but i think they'd REALLY have to pay a competitor like d'qwell to go to that abortion after how many years in the national nightmare known as cleveland. . . nah. . . he's most likely going there just to jack the price up for the better options, unless miami really gets stupid. . . obviousky, IMO. . .

Do they still have a cocaine problem?

Superchop 7
03-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Go to Ariz, tells me everything about who you are.....POS.....

Dapper Dan
03-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Go to Ariz, tells me everything about who you are.....POS.....

Are you from Florida?

Lancane
03-04-2014, 03:41 AM
if he signs in AZ it most likely means they can't and won't sign dansby. . . sign in AZ, d'qwell!

I know why you like that idea Dog, but do we really want a 33 year old stopgap at the position, at least we can milk four years out of Jackson if not more, Dansby will maybe last three.

MOtorboat
03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
as a place to live?

ver' niiice. . .

They've shown an ability to sign free agents the last few years despite not being all that good. It's because it's Miami and half these guys are from Florida anyway. Por ejample, D'Qwell Jackson was born and raised in suburban St. Petersburg.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
what was his offer from Denver? was it more than a million a year?

I do not remember any offer after the fax screw up. there were hard feelings on everyone part, considering he is a DE not sure what the LB coach has to do with it.

I have the details to the five-year contract Elvis Dumervil signed with the Baltimore Ravens.

And upon closer inspection, Dumervil wasn’t fibbing when he said it wasn’t about the money.

Let’s compare the Ravens’ contract to the Broncos offer. First the Ravens:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/03/27/elvis-dumervil-contract-baltimore-ravens/19017/

AND

Several teams expressed interest in Dumervil, but only the Broncos and Ravens made offers. Dumervil wouldn't have wound up with the Ravens if not for his close relationship with Baltimore linebackers coach Don "Wink" Martindale.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22861666/elvis-dumervil-agrees-contract-baltimore-ravens

NightTerror218
03-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Bam

Gotta love Carol and her quick references

dogfish
03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
I know why you like that idea Dog, but do we really want a 33 year old stopgap at the position, at least we can milk four years out of Jackson if not more, Dansby will maybe last three.

i'm looking to get two years out of whoever it is, no more. . . our window to win is right now, and that gives us plenty of time to draft and develop a replacement-- there's no reason to try to build around expensive, aging vets beyond the next couple of years. . . i want the guys who give us the best chance to win right now-- use our draft picks to patch holes and build the roster for the post-manning era. . . dansby is a better player and a better fit today, so he's my first choice. . .

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 12:17 AM
as a place to live?

ver' niiice. . .

in bottom feeder ratings
1. Browns
2. Jaguars
3. fins
4 raiders
5. redskins
6. cowboys

so Miami would be a marginal upgrade.

MOtorboat
03-05-2014, 12:36 AM
I think you're kidding yourself if you think Miami is a bottom three destination for free agents.

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 12:41 AM
I think you're kidding yourself if you think Miami is a bottom three destination for free agents.

their FO is a joke, there is a major problem in their locker room, the HC seems not to have a clue and the GM well at best clueless.

not so sure the ownership is much better that dallas, washington or oakland.

they have loads of talent, but in order to win you have to have the rest of the pieces. IMO so I'll be laughing all the way.

MOtorboat
03-05-2014, 12:56 AM
their FO is a joke, there is a major problem in their locker room, the HC seems not to have a clue and the GM well at best clueless.

not so sure the ownership is much better that dallas, washington or oakland.

they have loads of talent, but in order to win you have to have the rest of the pieces. IMO so I'll be laughing all the way.

I'm not saying they will win. That's not the discussion here. The discussion is whether or not they can sign free agents. And it's laughable to say they are bottom three. And ironic that two of the three examples you used to support your argument about bad ownership are teams that regularly sign top tier free agents year after year.

Last year, Miami signed Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and Dannell Ellerbe.

The top WR, the fourth best TE and the fourth best LB, all three top 40 free agents, according to PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/the-free-agent-hot-100-2/).

It was good enough that PFT said they were the top team (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/31/dolphins-broncos-lead-way-in-top-100-free-agent-signings/) in free agency, note Denver is No. 2.

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm not saying they will win. That's not the discussion here. The discussion is whether or not they can sign free agents. And it's laughable to say they are bottom three. And ironic that two of the three examples you used to support your argument about bad ownership are teams that regularly sign top tier free agents year after year.

Last year, Miami signed Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and Dannell Ellerbe.

The top WR, the fourth best TE and the fourth best LB, all three top 40 free agents, according to PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/the-free-agent-hot-100-2/).

It was good enough that PFT said they were the top team (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/31/dolphins-broncos-lead-way-in-top-100-free-agent-signings/) in free agency, note Denver is No. 2.

no offense but winning is the yard stick that everyone but apparently you uses.

Miami is a train wreck, if he wants to go there he must be dumber than a rock or the money is twice as much as here. all of those franchise are train wrecks, I just do not believe he will move from one to another..

MOtorboat
03-05-2014, 01:31 AM
no offense but winning is the yard stick that everyone but apparently you uses.

Miami is a train wreck, if he wants to go there he must be dumber than a rock or the money is twice as much as here. all of those franchise are train wrecks, I just do not believe he will move from one to another..

I guess you missed the point completely. (And the point of the entire discussion)

This discussion is about who signs free agents and why, not who wins games. You may think those franchises are train wrecks, but clearly the free agents don't agree with you, or even if they do, it doesn't affect their signing.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Players love Miami, it's amazing to me that the Phins aren't able to build a consistent winner there.

CoachChaz
03-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I think a lot of it probably had to do with Ireland and the environment he created and allowed. It seems to me that Miami is taking the necessary steps to correct that and will continue to be a desired location to play. Maybe even more so now.

NightTerror218
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Players love Miami, it's amazing to me that the Phins aren't able to build a consistent winner there.

Because all they know how to do is spend and not build a team

slim
03-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Is Ireland the guy that called Dez'a mom a whore?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Yes

DenBronx
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM

He asked if she was ever a hooker.

Wasnt there some speculation on that or hersey that she actually was??

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2014, 04:09 PM
He asked if she was ever a hooker.

Wasnt there some speculation on that or hersey that she actually was??

Yes, it was speculated that she might have been a prostitute at one time. That doesn't make his question any more appropriate. He's also the GM that told Martin's agent that Martin just needed to fight Incognito.

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I guess you missed the point completely. (And the point of the entire discussion)

This discussion is about who signs free agents and why, not who wins games. You may think those franchises are train wrecks, but clearly the free agents don't agree with you, or even if they do, it doesn't affect their signing.

See the following posts.

Point one

I think a lot of it probably had to do with Ireland and the environment he created and allowed.
Point two

Because all they know how to do is spend and not build a team

Point three

He's also the GM that told Martin's agent that Martin just needed to fight Incognito.

Point four.

Yes players love Miami, it has loads of,things going for it, no state tax (saves about 10% of their money), tons of nightlife, great weather, soft division. But they have not won consistently since Marino left.
So either the player wants all of the positives and is ok with losing OR the money is to hard to turn down, therefore IMO you have to question the dedication to win.

Winning is not just the thing it is the ONLY thing.

broncohead
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm sure a lot of players play for the money

Simple Jaded
03-05-2014, 09:28 PM
See the following posts.

Point one

Point two

Point three

Point four.

Yes players love Miami, it has loads of,things going for it, no state tax (saves about 10% of their money), tons of nightlife, great weather, soft division. But they have not won consistently since Marino left.
So either the player wants all of the positives and is ok with losing OR the money is to hard to turn down, therefore IMO you have to question the dedication to win.

Winning is not just the thing it is the ONLY thing.

Winning isn't even the most important thing to most players. Ya think Greg Jennings chose the Vikings because of their sterling win/loss record of late?

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm sure a lot of players play for the money
Absolutely. But some if they have options that are close to each other money wise, will usually opt for a better place to play.

If the money is equal, they will opt a way from train wreck franchises. Of which IMO the fins, raiders, browns , redskins, cowboys are at the top of that list. Places that there is a power struggle in the FO or from the ownership down.

They might be great places to live but if you are unhappy at work or do not trust the training staff to keep you healthy, money can not buy happiness.

Even if the money is not the same and slightly less players will gravitate to strong teams.

luckyseven
03-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Winning isn't even the most important thing to most players. Ya think Greg Jennings chose the Vikings because of their sterling win/loss record of late?
That is profound.

Money is important and if everything is not equal money wins out.

Some of these players are just mercenaries and to them it is everything.

But those from loser teams are also looking for a place to go to win. In that case money MAY NOT, be the end all.

Btw what other options did Jennings have and what was the price differential.

VonDoom
03-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Just got an alert - D'Qwell signed with the Colts.

BroncoNut
03-06-2014, 09:58 AM
what position doe he play? never heard of him. Is he black or white?

VonDoom
03-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Four years, $22 million, $11 guaranteed, so basically two guaranteed years. Average of 5.5 million a year. We couldn't get him for that?? Weren't people saying $7-8 million per?

broncofaninfla
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Denver must have came in lower than the Colts, I'm still holding out hope we can land K Dansby or D. Smith.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Dansby wants to stay in AZ and as far as I know, they want to keep him.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Four years, $22 million, $11 guaranteed, so basically two guaranteed years. Average of 5.5 million a year. We couldn't get him for that?? Weren't people saying $7-8 million per?

What is the distinct advantage to signing with Denver over Indy? The Colts have a clearer and brighter future than Denver does.

VonDoom
03-06-2014, 10:13 AM
What is the distinct advantage to signing with Denver over Indy? The Colts have a clearer and brighter future than Denver does.

You make a sad but true point, Coach.

BroncoNut
03-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm hungry and will eat my salad soon. man, already after 11. wont' be long

slim
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm hungry and will eat my salad soon. man, already after 11. wont' be long

Did you go with black beans today?

BroncoNut
03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Did you go with black beans today?

no, I woke up a little late because I bowled last night and didn't have time to open a can of beans so I have the regular salad that I will eat soon. maybe over the weekend I will get around to trying the beans in a salad.

slim
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
no, I woke up a little late because I bowled last night and didn't have time to open a can of beans so I have the regular salad that I will eat soon. maybe over the weekend I will get around to trying the beans in a salad.

OK, sounds good. Don't forget to rinse the beans, though. That is the second most important step (the first being to open the can).

tubby
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Welp so much for that. Maybe Jon Beason? Or I guess just roll with Nate Irving.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
That does suck. Of course, if Miller can come back this is a completely different defense that really has no use for a middle thumper like Jackson. Denver needed the leadership though. Maybe Delmas.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 12:01 PM
That does suck. Of course, if Miller can come back this is a completely different defense that really has no use for a middle thumper like Jackson. Denver needed the leadership though. Maybe Delmas.

Jackson would have been nice...but not at 5.5 mil

Lancane
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Welp so much for that. Maybe Jon Beason? Or I guess just roll with Nate Irving.

The sky isn't exactly falling Tubs, there are other options then D'Qwell Jackson, Daryl Smith or even Karlos Dansby. Granted they are the most productive free agents at the position, there are some solid starters available for less and could become mainstays at the position, such as Perry Riley, Brandon Spikes and Erin Henderson, Riley is the better option of the three, there is also the draft. And despite what a few fans believe, Irving has had his shot at the mike position and I believe Denver is ready to move on, the visits with Jackson and Tatupu pretty much confirm as much.

chazoe60
03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Draft Shayne Skov please.

slim
03-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Borland

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Draft Shayne Skov please.

Only if we switch to a 3-4

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Man... if the Colts happen to pick up Eric Decker (now that they've signed D'Qwell Jackson), that team was already dangerous... they are making some good strides.

slim
03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Man... if the Colts happen to pick up Eric Decker (now that they've signed D'Qwell Jackson), that team was already dangerous... they are making some good strides.

They still need a QB though.

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 02:10 PM
They still need a QB though.

You don't fancy Andrew Luck? I have to admit, he grew on me his rookie year. That kid's potential is limitless.

slim
03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
You don't fancy Andrew Luck? I have to admit, he grew on me his rookie year. That kid's potential is limitless.

Yeah, I still can't beleive how lucky they got.

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I still can't beleive how lucky they got.

no kidding

Ziggy
03-06-2014, 03:25 PM
I hate that we missed out on Dqwell. This D needed his leadership more than his ball skills. He had both. I hope Elway finds someone to fill that role.

DenBronx
03-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Shayne Skov will fit a 4-3 coach.

Hes who we should get in the 3rd.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Shayne Skov will fit a 4-3 coach.

Hes who we should get in the 3rd.

He'll fit it, but it's not best for him. He doesnt get to the edges very well and that's something you need from a MLB in a 4-3. he's been playing in a 3-4 at Stanford and I think that's his best fit.

Jsteve01
03-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I would have loved to sit in on the Tatupu workout. Apparently he didn't wow them, but man if he were healthy, I'd love him

Lancane
03-06-2014, 11:26 PM
I would have loved to sit in on the Tatupu workout. Apparently he didn't wow them, but man if he were healthy, I'd love him

He's been out of the game for three years, Denver might take a shot on him in a backup role but he'll not be guaranteed the starting role - if they even give him a shot.

If I was Elway, I would pursue Jairus Byrd in the same manner that he did Manning. Denver lacks elite talent on the defensive side of the ball give Von Miller, adding Byrd would equate to the level of elite talent Denver had in the 90's and 80's defensively with both Byrd and Miller. If they fall short of getting Byrd then you go after someone like Delmas but to equate the loss they should pursue the likes of Houston or Johnson as well, when you add in Rodgers-Cromartie along with Byrd or along with Delmas and say Houston, then the defense is greatly improved talent-wise compared to last years unit.

Simple Jaded
03-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Is it a done deal that Daryl Smith resigns with Ravens?

CoachChaz
03-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Is it a done deal that Daryl Smith resigns with Ravens?

I would bet on it. He'll be wanting something in the neighborhood that Jackson got and Baltimore has said he is a priority