PDA

View Full Version : Taylor's Death a Grim Reminder For Us All

SR
11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I posed this in "what's on your mind" because of what it has the potential to turn in to. It's a great article written by a black man and shows his perspective on the "hip hop culture" that influences today's black youth.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10637

sneakers
11-30-2007, 02:51 AM
I think the guy is speculating way too much here. We don't know who did it. They say that right now it looks like a random burglary gone wrong....who knows if the guy is black, white, or green.

SR
11-30-2007, 02:54 AM
That wasn't really the point of the article.

Poet
11-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Whitlock is just another person who looks at hip hop and rap only as far as what he sees on TV. I like the point that you are trying to make SR, but this guy is clueless.

Mike
11-30-2007, 08:58 AM
I think that Whitlock is doing the right thing. He is trying to get awareness out about a problem within his own culture (he is a black man). Exactly like Bill Cosby tries to do. He will take flack from his culture because he is speaking out...but he serves them better than Sharpton or Jackson.

SR
11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
I think that Whitlock is doing the right thing. He is trying to get awareness out about a problem within his own culture (he is a black man). Exactly like Bill Cosby tries to do. He will take flack from his culture because he is speaking out...but he serves them better than Sharpton or Jackson.

That was the point of the article. Thanks LDB. :salute:

Poet
12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
That was the point of the article. Thanks LDB. :salute:

It was hard to take anyone seriously when you read what the guy is actually saying. Sorry, but I somehow don't really believe that rap music or the hip hop culture is even remotely close to being the "black KKK". Look, I can understand the argument about the culture promoting violence and what not, but rapping about violence.......lynching black people......rapping about violence.....lynching black people. His message is legitimate to an extent, the content behind the message often lacks from Whitlock.

saddletramp
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM

I agree completely.

KCL
12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Whitlock is just another person who looks at hip hop and rap only as far as what he sees on TV. I like the point that you are trying to make SR, but this guy is clueless.

Jason Whitlock...:sick:

"Sometimes" he does write "some" good stuff.

KCL
12-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Good post....:2thumbs:

Escobar
12-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Jason Whitlock...:sick:

"Sometimes" he does write "some" good stuff.

ya and its not in this thread....maybe how the chiefs are in a game losing streak?

This clown (whitlock) is a clown...blaming hip hop *laughs* Its not the music, its the person.

Mike
12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
blaming hip hop *laughs* Its not the music, its the person.

Any argument that while it is the person...the person is influenced by the music and the image?

SR
12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
This clown (whitlock) is a clown...blaming hip hop *laughs* Its not the music, its the person.

That's a lot of people to be making an excuse for.

Poet
12-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Any argument that while it is the person...the person is influenced by the music and the image?

LDB music has always been a scape goat, for years it has. It is very easy for people to blame rap and hip hop, it often has violent content. This music is not meant for the youth, most rappers will tell you that. However, when you take a look you often find a deeper meaning, which is great for people who are old enough, or in some cases mature enough to do so. The problem arises when parents dont take teh time to find out what their kid is listening to. When I first started listening to rap at around age 13 or so my parents knew whta I was listening to. They also made damn sure the minute I started to act badly to put my ass back in its place. A lot of people are not as lucky. The problem that the black culture is facing is that it is caught in a vicious cycle man. Young parents are prevalent, dead beat daddies are prevalent, drugs are prevalent, violence is prevalent. The violence came long before rap or hip hop even became a large mainstream music entity. Hell, the violence and problems started before rap even existed. In the ghettos the school systems are poor, and the parents are lacking in a big way, for a multiple of reasons. Instead of pointing fingers like Whitlock has been doing for quite some time he should be trying to do something better than blame 50 cent or whatever rapper he happens to hate on at the moment and think of a better way. Whitlock has yet to provide a better alternative, and to be frank he reeks of someone who is not genuine. I thought that about him when he was on the monday quarterback show or whatever it was, and I thought that about him when he was on ESPN.