PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball '14

Buff
02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm in a 20-team league where we are allowed 2 keepers. I have to choose between Ian Desmond, Jose Bautista, Max Scherzer and Jose Fernandez.

Right now I'm leaning towards Desmond and Scherzer. Desmond is kind of sneaky productive and consistent - and I don't love the talent pool at SS, so he is a virtual certainty... Then for my next spot I think you could make a legitimate case for all three players. I'm inclined to keep Scherzer because it's tough to justify getting rid of the defending Cy Young winner in the prime of his career... But I can't shake the feeling that he may have peaked, whereas Jose Fernandez is going to be a stud for years to come... But he still pitches for the freaking Marlins, so it's tough to discount all the wins I'd be leaving on the table by taking him over Scherzer this year.

Bautista wore out his welcome with injuries and low batting average. Guy is still a stud, but he's too unreliable.

What do you guys think?

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
I would actually take Fernandez over Scherzer. I dont think you get any more out of Scherzer than you got last year, but Fernandez can still get better. And he pitches in the N.L.

Buff
02-26-2014, 10:35 AM
I would actually take Fernandez over Scherzer. I dont think you get any more out of Scherzer than you got last year, but Fernandez can still get better. And he pitches in the N.L.

I sort of agree with that assessment. I just hate that he plays for the Marlins. I feel like I'm leaving 5+ wins on the table for at least the next couple seasons by taking Fernandez.

Fernandez WHIP and ERA might be off the charts good. But I feel like I'm probably downgrading Ks and Wins.

artie_dale
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
I have to disagree with CoachChaz. Sherzer has gradually grown throughout the years and he blew it up. With that Detroit offense, chances are Sherzer will be allowed to stay in games longer and finish strong (earning K's) and won't have the stress of putting the entire weight of the team on his back every time he's on the mound because he knows his team can produce. The environment is just better than the Marlin's. You have to consider Sherzer producing the same as last season or close to it versus Fernandez getting better, but not getting nearly the same outcomes because he has the weight and pressure of the team on his back.

MileHighCrew
02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Anyone but Bautista IMO, one year older and more broken. I hope the Jays trade him this year too

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Is wins a category?

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
I have to disagree with CoachChaz. Sherzer has gradually grown throughout the years and he blew it up. With that Detroit offense, chances are Sherzer will be allowed to stay in games longer and finish strong (earning K's) and won't have the stress of putting the entire weight of the team on his back every time he's on the mound because he knows his team can produce. The environment is just better than the Marlin's. You have to consider Sherzer producing the same as last season or close to it versus Fernandez getting better, but not getting nearly the same outcomes because he has the weight and pressure of the team on his back.

That's definitely another factor. Scherzer is going to get a ton of opportunities to go late in games and potentially get me a few complete games in addition to the wins.

I've heard the Marlins won't have Fernandez on an innings limit again, but it stands to reason that they will be cautious with him.

Is wins a category?

Yes, this is a H2H Points by Category league and we count a ton of pitching categories... Ks, complete games, wins, losses, batting average against, ERA, whip.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm going based off the assumption that W-L record doesnt matter and that actual stats do. Regardless of the team, give Fernandez 40-50 more innings this year with a season under his belt and watch him tear it up. And is Detroit's line-up really still all that scary? Will Kinsler, Castellanos and Iglesias replace the production of Fielder, Infante and Peralta? Do Hunter and Martinez have much left in the tank at ages 35 and 39? That line-up has a lot of IF's

Just my opinion.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
That's definitely another factor. Scherzer is going to get a ton of opportunities to go late in games and potentially get me a few complete games in addition to the wins.

I've heard the Marlins won't have Fernandez on an innings limit again, but it stands to reason that they will be cautious with him.

Yes, this is a H2H Points by Category league and we count a ton of pitching categories... Ks, complete games, wins, losses, batting average against, ERA, whip.

I think this is a HUGE assumption

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I'd lean towards Scherzer because of the wins. But the. Again, I'm assuming you plan on being in this league for the foreseeable future, and Fernandez is probably more valuable in the long run, barring injury.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
I think this is a HUGE assumption

Yeah, well I guess I was thinking in relative terms... He was given quite a bit of rope last year, whereas Fernandez was kept on a very tight leash. Scherzer ended up with 214 innings and Fernandez with 172. Even with the Marlins not shutting Fernandez down, I could still see Scherzer getting 10-20 more innings.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
I think wins is the only advantage I would give Scherzer.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Yeah, well I guess I was thinking in relative terms... He was given quite a bit of rope last year, whereas Fernandez was kept on a very tight leash. Scherzer ended up with 214 innings and Fernandez with 172. Even with the Marlins not shutting Fernandez down, I could still see Scherzer getting 10-20 more innings.

I understand your point...but I still see Detroit and Scherzer regressing from last years numbers. And in a keeper league...I like Fernandez long term more than Scherzer.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I think wins is the only advantage I would give Scherzer.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to come to this same conclusion. But ESPN's projections have Scherzer coming in with a lower WHIP, lower BAA, more Ks, more wins, fewer walks.

But Fernandez could be so special that I don't want to end up kicking myself for letting him go... But I also don't want to kick myself for giving up the defending Cy Young award winner in his prime based on potential.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to come to this same conclusion. But ESPN's projections have Scherzer coming in with a lower WHIP, lower BAA, more Ks, more wins, fewer walks.

But Fernandez could be so special that I don't want to end up kicking myself for letting him go... But I also don't want to kick myself for giving up the defending Cy Young award winner in his prime based on potential.

Are you only allowed to keep one pitcher? If not, keep both of them and let Desmond walk.

artie_dale
02-26-2014, 11:34 AM

What about preseason trades? You trade Sherzer or Fernadez and a low pick for a a high pick and a joe shmoe player. You keep which ever one you don't trade and swap one of your low picks for a higher one while someone else upgrades their keepers.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Are you only allowed to keep one pitcher? If not, keep both of them and let Desmond walk.

I'd considered doing that too... But in a 20-team league where most of the owners value offense over pitching, it would set me back too much to go pitcher-pitcher with my first two picks. I can more easily find pitching value on the waiver wire than I can hitters.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
What about preseason trades? You trade Sherzer or Fernadez and a low pick for a a high pick and a joe shmoe player. You keep which ever one you don't trade and swap one of your low picks for a higher one while someone else upgrades their keepers.

This is actually a big debate in our league right now. Some other team just did that by trading Buster Posey and Dustin Pedroia for Adam Jones and there is a big uproar about whether it's fair to trade your non-keepers in a league with only 2 keepers. But that's a good idea and something I'm looking at.

artie_dale
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
This is actually a big debate in our league right now. Some other team just did that by trading Buster Posey and Dustin Pedroia for Adam Jones and there is a big uproar about whether it's fair to trade your non-keepers in a league with only 2 keepers. But that's a good idea and something I'm looking at.

Sounds like some butts are sore. A trade is a trade and people trade to upgrade their rosters and people with great rosters can afford to give up players in order to upgrade their draft strategy. Both get upgrades, both benefit. It's a little riskier for the one trading a higher draft pick but that's also a perk for the guy who kicked butt in putting his roster together in the first place. I say BOO HOO to anyone who gripes about that.

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM

If the other owner is willing to do it, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

I'm in a 20 team league with full 25-man rosters, but we can keep up to 12 players. Lots of trades happen in the offseason.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd considered doing that too... But in a 20-team league where most of the owners value offense over pitching, it would set me back too much to go pitcher-pitcher with my first two picks. I can more easily find pitching value on the waiver wire than I can hitters.

Ok...so you dont already have these players. In my keeper league, the draft does not include kept players.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Sounds like some butts are sore. A trade is a trade and people trade to upgrade their rosters and people with great rosters can afford to give up players in order to upgrade their draft strategy. Both get upgrades, both benefit. It's a little riskier for the one trading a higher draft pick but that's also a perk for the guy who kicked butt in putting his roster together in the first place. I say BOO HOO to anyone who gripes about that.

If the other owner is willing to do it, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

I'm in a 20 team league with full 25-man rosters, but we can keep up to 12 players. Lots of trades happen in the offseason.

I actually have given it a lot of thought and I think it basically amounts to collusion between two owners at the expense of the rest of the league.

It undercuts the spirit of the 2-keeper rule. The whole idea behind only having two keepers is that teams have to break up their stock pile of talent so that it goes back into the draft pool. And technically those players shouldn't even be on their rosters after last season because they are non-keepers. So I think they should be forced to make those trades the previous season or not at all.

But I could see how someone could argue that those players are ours to do whatever with until the draft.

Buff
02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Ok...so you dont already have these players. In my keeper league, the draft does not include kept players.

I don't follow what you're saying here...

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
I've kind of just survived doing the waiver wire thing in my league. I played the numbers with lesser guys who got hot for a season. It worked out pretty well last year and I nearly made the playoffs, but I don't think it's going to win a title.

Of course with 12 keepers it can be difficult to nab any high end pitchers.

Right now my pitching staff is Jarrod Parker, Mark Buehrle, Derek Holland, Felix Doubrant, Mike Leake, Jorge de la Rosa, Dillon Gee, Ross Ohlendorf, Huston Street, Mariano Rivera, Joe Smith, Neal Cotts and Bobby Parnell.

I think I'm only keeping Parker, Holland and Gee.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't follow what you're saying here...

We can keep players year over year. Then we draft from there with all other eligible players. So, if I already had Scherzer and Fernandez as keepers from last year...I could focus my draft on offense. I wouldnt have to spend my first 2 picks on players I already kept

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I've kind of just survived doing the waiver wire thing in my league. I played the numbers with lesser guys who got hot for a season. It worked out pretty well last year and I nearly made the playoffs, but I don't think it's going to win a title.

Right now my pitching staff is Jarrod Parker, Mark Buehrle, Derek Holland, Felix Doubrant, Mike Leake, Jorge de la Rosa, Dillon Gee, Ross Ohlendorf, Huston Street, Mariano Rivera, Joe Smith, Neal Cotts and Bobby Parnell.

Holland is out half the season

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Holland is out half the season

I know. I have IR spots.

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
We can keep players year over year. Then we draft from there with all other eligible players. So, if I already had Scherzer and Fernandez as keepers from last year...I could focus my draft on offense. I wouldnt have to spend my first 2 picks on players I already kept

I think you're arguing semantics. In this case everyone's "round 1" pick is actually round 3, but it's still the first round of the draft.

Buff
02-26-2014, 12:24 PM

So do you have to use your keeper slots then? We are allowed to keep 2 guys and for the most part everyone does... But if you chose not to keep anybody then you would get a pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, whereas if you have keepers then those count as your first two draft picks. Since I won last year I have the last draft pick #20. I just don't feel comfortable waiting until pick #60 to take my first hitter.

Buff
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM

So did you draft all offense?

Those pitchers are kind of hot garbage. I'm of the opinion that you need an ace or two to anchor your rotation and then can stream waiver wire guys around them... But you need that anchor.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I think you're arguing semantics. In this case everyone's "round 1" pick is actually round 3, but it's still the first round of the draft.

So do you have to use your keeper slots then? We are allowed to keep 2 guys and for the most part everyone does... But if you chose not to keep anybody then you would get a pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, whereas if you have keepers then those count as your first two draft picks. Since I won last year I have the last draft pick #20. I just don't feel comfortable waiting until pick #60 to take my first hitter.

Ok. Mine is run a little differently. We can keep 3 and the draft is the draft. However...if you release one of your keepers, you get comp picks after the round (after 1st for 1 player, another after 2nd for 2 players, and so on). But in order for them to qualify for comp picks, they have to have been kept for at least two seasons. Obviously, this wouldnt work with leagues that keep much more than 3, but for ours it seems to work out fine.

CoachChaz
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Those pitchers are kind of hot garbage. I'm of the opinion that you need an ace or two to anchor your rotation and then can stream waiver wire guys around them... But you need that anchor.

The amount of aces available also depends on the amount of teams in the league. Any more than 15 and getting one ace is hard enough...let alone 2

MOtorboat
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM

I took over a team of hot garbage two seasons ago, and with 12 keepers it's difficult. Whoever it was that originally drafted my team fubarred it. His early picks were Carl Crawford, Derek Jeter and Mariano. He came in second to last and then quit the league. The league manager asked me to take over for it and I've been trying to dig out of a hole since going in. I gambled with Josh Beckett, Daniel Hudson, Jaime Garcia and Edwin Jackson for starters in my first draft.

It's been a rough go, because I don't really have trade chips either.

Buff
02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Still agonizing over my Fernandez/Scherzer decision. Now I'm back to leaning towards Fernandez. The guy said a 1.95 ERA is his goal and he was freaking serious for crying out loud.

artie_dale
02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Still agonizing over my Fernandez/Scherzer decision. Now I'm back to leaning towards Fernandez. The guy said a 1.95 ERA is his goal and he was freaking serious for crying out loud.

LOL. I hear ya. You just gotta decide on immediate success or plan for the future and which one is least riskier. I still personally think Sherzer will give you more success at present time and that Fernandez may not. If Fernandez was on a better team with a better offense, he'd be way less than a gamble.

Either way, you'll probably never feel 100% good about letting either one go, unless whoever you let go ends up having a season ending injury.

MOtorboat
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
OK...need some opinions. In my 20-team, 12-keeper league, I'm pondering Neil Walker. ESPN has him projected as the 21st best 2B this season, with two of those players being free agents in the league, so I know they will be available in the draft (Keepers aren't public before the keeper deadline).

I know Walker is an everyday starter at a position that isn't really deep. ESPN has him projected at 66 Runs, 15 HR, 65 RBI, 4 SB .274/.350/.433, and he finished last year 62 Runs, 16 HR, 53 RBI, 1 SB, .251/.339/.418. (Stat categories for weekly matchups are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG)

At this point, I'm keeping these position players:
3B - Chase Headley
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Alfonso Soriano

Thoughts?

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 08:24 AM
OK...need some opinions. In my 20-team, 12-keeper league, I'm pondering Neil Walker. ESPN has him projected as the 21st best 2B this season, with two of those players being free agents in the league, so I know they will be available in the draft (Keepers aren't public before the keeper deadline).

I know Walker is an everyday starter at a position that isn't really deep. ESPN has him projected at 66 Runs, 15 HR, 65 RBI, 4 SB .274/.350/.433, and he finished last year 62 Runs, 16 HR, 53 RBI, 1 SB, .251/.339/.418. (Stat categories for weekly matchups are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG)

At this point, I'm keeping these position players:
3B - Chase Headley
SS - Erick Aybar
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Alfonso Soriano

Thoughts?

So, which players are you choosing between (if you don't keep Walker)? He seems pretty mediocre (like I mentioned earlier, I'm still learning my way back into the FBB).

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 09:34 AM
So, which players are you choosing between (if you don't keep Walker)? He seems pretty mediocre (like I mentioned earlier, I'm still learning my way back into the FBB).

If I throw Walker back to the draft I get an extra pick. So the debate is, can I get a better second baseman than Walker, despite how deep the league is?

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
If I throw Walker back to the draft I get an extra pick. So the debate is, can I get a better second baseman than Walker, despite how deep the league is?

Tough call...unless you hit on a prospect or a young guy that breaks out

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 09:44 AM
That is a tough one. Just gotta decide which one gives you the best opportunity to upgrade that position. If you keep him, chances are you won't upgrade the position. But, if you drop him, is the worst that can happy is you pick him right back up later?

Buff
03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Walker has chronic back problems. I had him on my team last year and ended up trading him. I'd throw him back and take your chances elsewhere... He can be productive when healthy, but he will almost certainly spend some time on the DL with a back injury. I'd rather take my chances on a healthy prospect.

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 10:06 AM
There are definitely options in a 20 team league. Might not be someone a lot better than Walker, but at least as good

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
I sorted ESPN's rankings with my league rules, and their preseason projections have him as the 21st first basemen. Those projections have a couple free agents in them and I know everyone won't keep a second basemen, so there is likely opportunity early in the draft to get a better second basemen.

So here's the second question. I drop him because I can get someone better with a higher draft pick. That kind of obligates my strategy to try my best draft second base early at that point, right?

CoachChaz
03-06-2014, 10:51 AM
I sorted ESPN's rankings with my league rules, and their preseason projections have him as the 21st first basemen. Those projections have a couple free agents in them and I know everyone won't keep a second basemen, so there is likely opportunity early in the draft to get a better second basemen.

So here's the second question. I drop him because I can get someone better with a higher draft pick. That kind of obligates my strategy to try my best draft second base early at that point, right?

Not necessarily. If there are 19-20 second basemen better than Walker, you should have time to pick one up. I dont see too many teams picking up multiple 2Bmen early

artie_dale
03-06-2014, 11:23 AM

I suggest just looking at one of two thing: 1) at your turn, is the best 2nd basemen "great", "good", "fair", or "crap"? If he's "great" or "good", then look at if there is anyone on the draft board at a position you can effectively upgrade. If so, and if you're willing to settle for another Walker, it could open the door to trade one of the players you upgrade with that pick to maybe upgrade the 2nd base position or settle for what you got and have a decent bench.

Buff
03-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Position scarcity and tiers by position are a big thing in baseball IMO. It's not an exact science, but in general I always try to draft my middle infielders earlier. But in your case you might have already missed most of the top tier guys, so I don't know if it's as big of an issue. If most other teams already have 2B filled, then I'd be thinking more about best offensive player available.

MOtorboat
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Position scarcity and tiers by position are a big thing in baseball IMO. It's not an exact science, but in general I always try to draft my middle infielders earlier. But in your case you might have already missed most of the top tier guys, so I don't know if it's as big of an issue. If most other teams already have 2B filled, then I'd be thinking more about best offensive player available.

You're probably right. Since I'm only keeping eight of 12, I'm going to end up getting probably 2 of the best 10 to 15 guys on the board, if not three, so best offensive player available is probably what I'll try to do.

Buff
03-10-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm drafting my 20-team league tonight that I won last year... Finally settled on Scherzer and Desmond as my keepers. It sucks because not only do I have the last pick, but since we snake I will always have B2B picks. I'd much rather be in the middle of the round.

artie_dale
03-31-2014, 10:14 AM
I did my draft a few nights ago. Landed Hanley Ramirez, Dustin Pedroia, Mark Trumble, Joe Mauer (playing catcher ;) ),Yu Darvish, Max Sherzer, Craig Kimbrel, to name a few. I had the 2nd to last pick, snaking, non-keeper. My league has a lot of good defensive stats too, not just offense. Our pitching stats also consists of "quality starts" and "holds" amongst the more common stat categories. Sucks when I'd have a picture go 8 shut out innings only so the closer blows it and I don't get a win. So, I added the "quality start" stat so the SP still gets full credit. Adding holds along with Closes adds to the pitching depth too. I've also got Machado but he and Darvish are on the 15 Day DL to start the season. I also picked up that Ventura cat from KC. Hope he pans out well.

What do you think, MO? Head to head league, btw.

CoachChaz
03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
If you are using defensive stats...how does Mauer at catcher work since he wont have stats at that position? On the other hand...other than Machado and Pedroia, it doesnt seem you put an emphasis on defense to begin with

artie_dale
03-31-2014, 10:32 AM
If you are using defensive stats...how does Mauer at catcher work since he wont have stats at that position? On the other hand...other than Machado and Pedroia, it doesnt seem you put an emphasis on defense to begin with

the biggest defensive stat is "assists", which Machado, Hanley Ramirez, and Pedroia will pile up. Those were just the players I could think of off the top of my head. Putouts is another defensive category that OF's & 1Bs will get. Its not a good league for DH's though. What I was shooting for when I drafted my IF was good defensive stats with good offensive production. I think I got that. My OF is weak (I have Trumbo out there (he plays both 1B/OF)) and Desmond. I also have Jhonny Peralta at SS as a backup. He was money for me last year until he was suspended.

Oh, and the players get credit for any stats they produce. So, even though Mauer won't get any credit for picking off a base stealer, he will get credit for the what he produces at 1B because in yahoo, he's still slated to play both positions (1B/C).

CoachChaz
03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
the biggest defensive stat is "assists", which Machado, Hanley Ramirez, and Pedroia will pile up. Those were just the players I could think of off the top of my head. Putouts is another defensive category that OF's & 1Bs will get. Its not a good league for DH's though. What I was shooting for when I drafted my IF was good defensive stats with good offensive production. I think I got that. My OF is weak (I have Trumbo out there (he plays both 1B/OF)) and Desmond. I also have Jhonny Peralta at SS as a backup. He was money for me last year until he was suspended.

Oh, and the players get credit for any stats they produce. So, even though Mauer won't get any credit for picking off a base stealer, he will get credit for the what he produces at 1B because in yahoo, he's still slated to play both positions (1B/C).

Got it. So I'm guessing you can put players wherever you want.

artie_dale
03-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Got it. So I'm guessing you can put players wherever you want.

Only if they are classified to play the position. For instance, Trumbo is a 1B/OF, Pedroia is only a 2B, Ramirez is only a SS, etc... Players who can designated to play multiple positions can be valuable in my league. Espeically the 1B/C players because Catchers usually take a day off here and there. And my league requires us to set our lineups weekly, not daily. So, once your roster is set, that's it.

CoachChaz
03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Only if they are classified to play the position. For instance, Trumbo is a 1B/OF, Pedroia is only a 2B, Ramirez is only a SS, etc... Players who can designated to play multiple positions can be valuable in my league. Espeically the 1B/C players because Catchers usually take a day off here and there. And my league requires us to set our lineups weekly, not daily. So, once your roster is set, that's it.

So how do you have Desmond in the OF? Or did I read that wrong?

artie_dale
03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
So how do you have Desmond in the OF? Or did I read that wrong?

Lol. My bad... not Ian Desmond, meant Desmond Jennings OF Tampa. Dyslexia of the memory.

CoachChaz
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Lol. My bad... not Ian Desmond, meant Desmond Jennings OF Tampa. Dyslexia of the memory.

That makes more sense.

Buff
03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
I was kind of excited that maybe I was ahead of the game snagging Tanner Scheppers - especially once they announced Darvish would miss a start. 4IP 8Hs 3BBs 7ER. Ugh.

OB
03-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Can I interject a quick question - I love fantasy sports (well fantasy football) but have a real hard time keeping track of my few players that you do have with football

Is fantasy baseball 10x more intricate? Are you constantly trading and moving and such - basically what I am asking is - is this a daily thing - do you have to pay attention to your fantasy team daily?

Dapper Dan
04-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Can I interject a quick question - I love fantasy sports (well fantasy football) but have a real hard time keeping track of my few players that you do have with football

Is fantasy baseball 10x more intricate? Are you constantly trading and moving and such - basically what I am asking is - is this a daily thing - do you have to pay attention to your fantasy team daily?

I'm still fairly new to it. But from my perspective, yeah. I think it sucks starting a guy who isn't playing. Obviously, he gets you zero points. So if you're serious about it, you have to keep up with who's starting and who isn't. And they play like everyday. I have trouble keeping up.

MOtorboat
04-01-2014, 11:00 PM

In general, yes. But there are leagues that lock on Sunday nights, but you have to spend a good deal Sunday evening setting your lineup that week and making a few gambles, based on if a starting pitcher is going to start on one day or two and if someone is day-to-day and will his injury get worse or better...

Fantasy baseball is a lot more intense than fantasy football, IMO.

Buff
04-01-2014, 11:22 PM
I love fantasy baseball because I feel like there is more opportunity to add value as a manager. I am just meh on fantasy football because it feels like so much of it is based on luck.

So to answer your question, OB, in order to be competitive you need to be pretty active.

artie_dale
04-02-2014, 09:30 AM

I think it boils down to whether the league is setup to update daily vs weekly. But like MO said (he's more of a hardcore fantasy baseball player than I am), for weekly leagues, Sunday is important because players are playing both Saturday & Sunday and minor injuries happen all the time and for a player to sit out 2-3 games can make all the difference for that week.

I setup our baseball like so it similar to fantasy football, as far as setting lineups. Fantasy football, with games on Thursdays, you have to have your roster set by Wed night, which is just like us having to have our lineups setup on Sunday night for FBB.

I think its just as fun once you get an idea of what to pay attention to.

OB
04-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Fantasy BB isn't for my lazy butt. I appreciate all the feedback tho - thanks guys :)

Dapper Dan
04-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Okay. This guy really wants Freeman still. Any feedback?

Send Freddie Freeman, Atl 1B
Send Madison Bumgarner, SF SP
Send Jered Weaver, LAA SP

Receive Bryce Harper, Wsh OF
Receive Nick Swisher, Cle 1B
Receive Tyler Clippard, Wsh RP

Again, it's not a keeper league.

This is my roster if that helps. I know I'm trading different positions.
Brian McCann, NYY
Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 1B, DH
Anthony Rendon, Wsh 2B
Nolan Arenado, Col 3B
Hanley Ramirez, LAD SS
Asdrubal Cabrera, Cle SS
Freddie Freeman, Atl 1B
Yasiel Puig, LAD OF
Starling Marte, Pit OF
Alex Gordon, KC OF
Michael Bourn*, Cle OF
Billy Butler, KC DH
Matt Kemp, LAD OF
Jonathan Villar, Hou SS
A.J. Pierzynski, Bos C
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP
Jose Fernandez, Mia SP
Jered Weaver, LAA SP
Matt Moore, TB SP
R.A. Dickey, Tor SP
CC Sabathia, NYY SP
Matt Garza, Mil SP
Zack Wheeler, NYM SP
Dan Straily, Oak SP
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP

MOtorboat
04-04-2014, 11:11 PM
No.

Dapper Dan
04-04-2014, 11:15 PM
No.

I looked up numbers and I'm not thrilled about it either. I wouldn't mind having Harper, but overall it feels like a ripoff.

Dapper Dan
04-04-2014, 11:17 PM
He seems like he really wants Freeman, so I'm waiting on him to give me an offer I can't refuse.

Buff
04-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Definitely not on that offer. Freeman is getting you average and power production, so he's a commodity. Post his team.

Dapper Dan
04-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Definitely not on that offer. Freeman is getting you average and power production, so he's a commodity. Post his team.

Jason Castro, Hou C
Mike Napoli, Bos 1B
Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B
Ryan Zimmerman, Wsh 3B
Elvis Andrus, Tex SS
Ben Zobrist, TB 2B, SS, OF
Jose Abreu, CWS 1B
Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF
Bryce Harper, Wsh OF
Shin-Soo Choo, Tex OF
Michael Cuddyer, Col OF
Nick Swisher, Cle 1B, OF
Matt Holliday, StL OF
Jedd Gyorko, SD 2B
Oscar Taveras, StL OF
James Shields, KC SP
Gerrit Cole, Pit SP
Hyun-Jin Ryu, LAD SP
Huston Street, SD RP
Steve Cishek, Mia RP
A.J. Burnett, Phi SP
Drew Smyly, Det RP
Tyler Clippard, Wsh RP
Jose Valverde, NYM RP
Mark Buehrle, Tor SP
Cole Hamels, Phi SP

Buff
04-04-2014, 11:35 PM
I think you should get really greedy and counter with something like Zimmerman and Zobrist for Freeman and Villar. You could use some 2B and 3B help. It might make sense to try and get a 2 for 1 type deal where you're getting two quality starters and only giving up one.

MOtorboat
04-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Clippard is literally worthless to you, unless "holds" are a category.

Buff
04-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Yeah, that was a garbage offer. Clippard is worthless and Swisher is old and easily replaceable on waivers. Maybe you'd consider it if it was those 3 for Freeman... But not with Weaver and especially not with Bumgarner.

MOtorboat
04-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that was a garbage offer. Clippard is worthless and Swisher is old and easily replaceable on waivers. Maybe you'd consider it if it was those 3 for Freeman... But not with Weaver and especially not with Bumgarner.

It's just a terrible, terrible deal for DBfan. Look at the ADPs of the three he's offering for the three he wants:
Freeman 31
Bumgarner 44
Weaver 91

Harper 18
Swisher 204
Clippard 291

Dapper Dan
04-05-2014, 12:00 AM
I think you should get really greedy and counter with something like Zimmerman and Zobrist for Freeman and Villar. You could use some 2B and 3B help. It might make sense to try and get a 2 for 1 type deal where you're getting two quality starters and only giving up one.

I sent him that trade offer. We shall see how the "Chipper's Bong Rippers" respond.

MOtorboat
04-08-2014, 11:51 AM
B.J. Upton is an extremely frustrating player to own in fantasy.

Buff
04-08-2014, 11:53 AM
B.J. Upton is an extremely frustrating player to own in fantasy.

Awful pick. Wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I'm regretting drafting Alfonso Soriano. He's going to be impossible to trade, so I'm just going to have to live with his low average.

MOtorboat
04-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Awful pick. Wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I'm regretting drafting Alfonso Soriano. He's going to be impossible to trade, so I'm just going to have to live with his low average.

Right now, Adam LaRoche is hitting better than Upton...but I'm leery of pulling Upton for Adam freakin' LaRoche because, well, he's B.J. Upton and he's not going to hit 3/25 the whole season.

MOtorboat
04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
And I feel your pain with Soriano. I picked him up in a trade two years ago and have held on to him, and the average is frustrating, but the pop helps.

Buff
04-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Right now, Adam LaRoche is hitting better than Upton...but I'm leery of pulling Upton for Adam freakin' LaRoche because, well, he's B.J. Upton and he's not going to hit 3/25 the whole season.

I don't know man. After Upton's disastrous year last year and his start to this season. I'm starting to think that anything over the Mendoza line is a bonus with him.

MOtorboat
04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Soriano paid off tonight, Buffenator...

artie_dale
04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Eww... I'm a Braves fan and I wouldn't touch B.J. Upton. His brother on the other had, I'd consider, but am glad I don't have either of them. Both have been worthless in the lineup so far. Chris Johnson & Freddie Freeman have been the fairly consistent producers on that roster so far.

I had Soriano on my pine the first week. He started cold but has hit two HRs so far. Mark Trumbo, Nelson Cruz, and Desmond Jennings have done fair for me in my OF.

Buff
04-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Feeling pretty good about my Ervin Santana pick after tonight.

MOtorboat
04-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Haha. Dee Gordon just got gunned down on a pitch out.

artie_dale
04-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Feeling pretty good about my Ervin Santana pick after tonight.

That was a fun game to watch (as a Braves fan). Dudes finally started hitting base hits. I've always liked Ervin Santana. He pitched a great game. My Closer almost let it slip away (Kimbrel).

Buff
04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
That was a fun game to watch (as a Braves fan). Dudes finally started hitting base hits. I've always liked Ervin Santana. He pitched a great game. My Closer almost let it slip away (Kimbrel).

Yeah I was about to be bitter if I lost the W. Surprised they didn't start the 9th with Kimbrel even though it was a 4 run lead.

artie_dale
04-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Yeah I was about to be bitter if I lost the W. Surprised they didn't start the 9th with Kimbrel even though it was a 4 run lead.

They've got some young/new bullpen relief. Probably approaching these early games in a way that gives them some game time if the lead is big enough.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I've kept Jarrod Parker on the bench for about a month. This is in my 20-team, 13-keeper league.

Is it worth stashing him on the bench for a whole season?

Buff
04-29-2014, 10:51 AM
I've kept Jarrod Parker on the bench for about a month. This is in my 20-team, 13-keeper league.

Is it worth stashing him on the bench for a whole season?

No. Pick up Marcus Stroman.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 10:53 AM
No. Pick up Marcus Stroman.

Stroman is going to lose his job when McGowan returns.

Buff
04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Stroman is going to lose his job when McGowan returns.

No. You have it backwards. Stroman is about to take McGowan's job.

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
No. You have it backwards. Stroman is about to take McGowan's job.

This is on you, Buffenator.

Buff
04-29-2014, 11:01 AM
This is on you, Buffenator.

Did you grab him? Ray Flowers is one of my more trusted Fantasy Baseball guys (he answers every twitter inquiry too, btw) and he had a good write-up on him.

http://www.fantasyalarm.com/articles/flowers/18435/stroman-hou-chc-bullpens/

MOtorboat
04-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Did you grab him? Ray Flowers is one of my more trusted Fantasy Baseball guys (he answers every twitter inquiry too, btw) and he had a good write-up on him.

http://www.fantasyalarm.com/articles/flowers/18435/stroman-hou-chc-bullpens/

It's rare that a prospect whose an imminent starting pitcher in the bigs is available in this league, so I thought, "what the hell."

Good link, too.

I miss Matthew Berry on the ESPN podcast. Currently, I'm listening to Olney and Stark tell me baseball news and then I'm making the fantasy decisions from that.

MOtorboat
05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I have managed to acquire a plethora of outfielders in a 16-team, 25-man head-to-head 7x7 league with OBP and OPS as the primary stats (on top of R, HR, RBI, SB, TB)

I have Shin-Soo Choo, Jayson Werth, Nelson Cruz, Angel Pagan, Shane Victorino, B.J. Upton, Colby Rasmus, Marlon Byrd.

Kind of looking for a 3B. Who should I look to move and what should I look to get with him?

Buff
05-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I have managed to acquire a plethora of outfielders in a 16-team, 25-man head-to-head 7x7 league with OBP and OPS as the primary stats (on top of R, HR, RBI, SB, TB)

I have Shin-Soo Choo, Jayson Werth, Nelson Cruz, Angel Pagan, Shane Victorino, B.J. Upton, Colby Rasmus, Marlon Byrd.

Kind of looking for a 3B. Who should I look to move and what should I look to get with him?

As a general rule in fantasy baseball, position scarcity at infield is always an issue. It's easy to pass up infielders early in the draft because their stats aren't quite as sexy on an absolute basis, then you realize that once they're gone they're gone. Moral of that story - it's always hard to trade outfielders for infielders. Everyone has a need at infield.

So you might need to do a 2 for 1. Or you might try to find a buy-low candidate like Ryan Zimmerman who someone might be willing to unload given his injury issues. But it's kind of hard to pick one 3B and say "go after him" - it's going to be contingent on their team needs, where they have excess, etc. If I were you I'd probably start by seeing if anyone has multiple 3B as they would be more willing to unload one than someone who would have to create a hole in their roster by trading.

CoachChaz
05-02-2014, 12:09 PM

You could probably get a guy like Solarte cheap if OBP is what you're looking for. Or even a guy like Uribe.

Neither of them are world beaters, but they are solid contributors and they are cheap.

Buff
05-12-2014, 09:14 AM
So, Marcus Stroman looks like he's got some things to figure out, MO. Sorry I led you astray with that one.

MOtorboat
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
So, Marcus Stroman looks like he's got some things to figure out, MO. Sorry I led you astray with that one.

I might have to get rid of him when Russell Martin comes off the DL, but for now I've got the roster space to hang on to him and keep him on the bench.

MOtorboat
05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Is this a fair deal? (I am the one that offered it)

Receive Jhonny Peralta, StL SS from TW to Bench
Receive Jered Weaver, LAA SP from TW to Bench
Send Jean Segura, Mil SS from SS to TW
Send Marlon Byrd, Phi OF from Bench to TW

Buff
05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Is this a fair deal? (I am the one that offered it)

Receive Jhonny Peralta, StL SS from TW to Bench
Receive Jered Weaver, LAA SP from TW to Bench
Send Jean Segura, Mil SS from SS to TW
Send Marlon Byrd, Phi OF from Bench to TW

Hard to judge a trade in a vacuum. I'm not a huge Weaver fan because I think his best days are behind him. But seems fair enough on paper.

MOtorboat
05-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Hard to judge a trade in a vacuum. I'm not a huge Weaver fan because I think his best days are behind him. But seems fair enough on paper.

Good enough. I don't want to be the douche making completely off-kilter trade offers. I hate that guy.

Buff
05-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Can't catch a break so far this season... I keep running into guys having career weeks.

Then this week I tried to get cute and stream Tyler Lyons, who promptly gave up NINE MF'ing earned runs over 4 innings. Then tonight Tommy Hunter blows the save in spectacular fashion giving up 4 earned runs in 2/3 of an inning. My ERA is hopelessly ****** this week...

On top of that I'm kicking myself for keeping Ian Desmond over Jose Bautista.

About the only silver lining (for me) is that I kept Scherzer instead of Jose Fernandez, who is the latest Tommy John victim. I feel like my team is better than 10th place in a 20 team league where I sit right now.

MOtorboat
05-18-2014, 11:28 PM
**** the veto system. It's not there to veto trades if you think there's a winner in the trade.

It's to veto collusion.

******* ridiculous.

Buff
05-19-2014, 12:37 AM
**** the veto system. It's not there to veto trades if you think there's a winner in the trade.

It's to veto collusion.

******* ridiculous.

What got vetoed?

MOtorboat
05-19-2014, 08:43 AM
What got vetoed?

Guy offered me Fielder for Chase Headley and Trevor Bauer. I thought I was getting a bit lopsided of a deal, but we didn't collude, and two years ago Headley was every bit the hitter Fielder was.

Dapper Dan
05-25-2014, 06:03 PM
I traded Puig for Adam Jones a few weeks ago.

This weekend I traded..
Hanley Ramirez, LAD SS
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP

I received..
Brandon Phillips, Cin 2B
Manny Machado, Bal 3B
John Lackey, Bos SP

artie_dale
06-03-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm in last place. I don't get it.
I've got:
C Suzuki
1B Morenoe
2B Dozier
SS H. Ramirez
3B Frazier
OF Blackmon
OF Cruz
OF Rajai Davis
Uti Pedroia

SP Sherzer
SP Darvish
RP Kimbrel
RP Melancon
P Buehrle
P C. Martinez
P W. Smith

Stats unique to this league is Batters get defensive stats (Fld%, Assist, PO) and Pitchers get Quality Starts, Holds, and GIDP (can't think of what else off the top of my head). Head to Head league.

Buff
06-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm in last place. I don't get it.
I've got:
C Suzuki
1B Morenoe
2B Dozier
SS H. Ramirez
3B Frazier
OF Blackmon
OF Cruz
OF Rajai Davis
Uti Pedroia

SP Sherzer
SP Darvish
RP Kimbrel
RP Melancon
P Buehrle
P C. Martinez
P W. Smith

Stats unique to this league is Batters get defensive stats (Fld%, Assist, PO) and Pitchers get Quality Starts, Holds, and GIDP (can't think of what else off the top of my head). Head to Head league.

I know Scherzer's underperformance has really hurt me lately. I count on him being my pitching staff's anchor - so when he blows up it kills me.

I, too, am mired in mediocrity in 9th place out of 20... My team on paper is leading many offensive categories. Mine is a little bit easier to trace back to my pitching - but it's also been some bad luck in a H2H league.

Alfonso Soriano is absolutely killing me. He's untradeable, and sort of uncuttable as well with his power potential in my deep league.

artie_dale
06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I know Scherzer's underperformance has really hurt me lately. I count on him being my pitching staff's anchor - so when he blows up it kills me.

I, too, am mired in mediocrity in 9th place out of 20... My team on paper is leading many offensive categories. Mine is a little bit easier to trace back to my pitching - but it's also been some bad luck in a H2H league.

Alfonso Soriano is absolutely killing me. He's untradeable, and sort of uncuttable as well with his power potential in my deep league.

Since the season started, my team tumbled to the botter each week. The kicker is, I've got a lot of top 10 players on my roster, and yet, it isn't enough. I feel like my oponent has his best week when he plays me. Those are the worst.

Buff
06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Since the season started, my team tumbled to the botter each week. The kicker is, I've got a lot of top 10 players on my roster, and yet, it isn't enough. I feel like my oponent has his best week when he plays me. Those are the worst.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is luck in H2H leagues. I've gotten totally screwed on strength of schedule. Luckily the season is long so I'm hoping it will even out in the long run.

No big holes jumped out at me on your roster. Keep fighting the good fight, setting your roster and things will turn. Plus - the summer months are when you can make up ground as people start to lose focus.

MOtorboat
06-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm having a shitty year.

artie_dale
06-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I think a lot of it is luck in H2H leagues. I've gotten totally screwed on strength of schedule. Luckily the season is long so I'm hoping it will even out in the long run.

No big holes jumped out at me on your roster. Keep fighting the good fight, setting your roster and things will turn. Plus - the summer months are when you can make up ground as people start to lose focus.

Yeah man. I've reminded myself that baseball is a marathon, not a race. Patience wouldn't suck so bad if it hurried up the process.

artie_dale
06-20-2014, 10:50 AM
I've changed my team's name to "Sucky McSuckerson". Its horrible... but not on paper. What gives? Sherzer got slammed and Davish's last outing wasn't a quality start either.

Buff
06-20-2014, 11:06 AM
My pitching staff continues to kill me as well. Just so volatile. How does Scherzer go from a complete game gem to giving up 10 ERs?

artie_dale
06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
My pitching staff continues to kill me as well. Just so volatile. How does Scherzer go from a complete game gem to giving up 10 ERs?

Yes. And who even stays in long enough to get 10 earned runs??? Geez that hurt. Oh, and the guy I'm playing against, he's got Tanaka. fml

Buff
07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Guy offered me his Johnny Cueto for my Yoenis Cespedes.

Have to give it some real consideration considering my pitching is horrendous and my hitting is actually pretty decent. My concern is that Cespedes is having a good year and is a huge producer of XBHs, RBIs and power for me. I honestly think both guys are due for a slight downturn in the 2nd half.

Any thoughts?

MOtorboat
07-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Guy offered me his Johnny Cueto for my Yoenis Cespedes.

Have to give it some real consideration considering my pitching is horrendous and my hitting is actually pretty decent. My concern is that Cespedes is having a good year and is a huge producer of XBHs, RBIs and power for me. I honestly think both guys are due for a slight downturn in the 2nd half.

Any thoughts?

Who would replace Cespedes in your lineup? Someone off the bench, or moving utility into it and finding someone else for utility?

Also, I forgot your categories.

MOtorboat
07-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Buff. I LOVE Cueto and would jump at that trade, but it somewhat depends on who you're plugging in at OF.

Buff
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Complicating matters is that this is a 20-team league with a shit ton of categories. So, extra base hits, total bases, in addition to standard hitting categories like HRs, RBIs make Cespedes' value slightly higher than in standard leagues.

But along the same lines we also count WHIP, BAA, ERA, Ks, complete games, and Cueto is the #1 ranked pitcher in the league.

I have Hunter Pence, Marlon Byrd and Ben Revere at OF, but then I also have Brock Holt (in addition to Nolan Arenado and Chris Johnson at 3B) who has OF eligibility, along with Ben Zobrist. So I have a logjam of offense - but nobody who can really replace Cespedes' power production.

At the same time, my pitching is basically Max Scherzer followed by a bunch of scrubs (Yordano Ventura, Ervin Santana, AJ Burnett) so I'm wondering if I maybe go ahead and give up a little extra offense to acquire an elite pitcher.

MOtorboat
07-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes.

Buff
07-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes.

I'm just worried that Cueto has peaked, and Cespedes is having an All Star year.

Plus it goes against my normal philosophy of valuing offense/power above pitching. But yeah, pretty good offer. I might accept it.

MOtorboat
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I take that deal and run. But I also LOVE Cueto (and pretty much the entire Reds' pitching staff), so keep that in mind.

Maybe we can get a dissenting opinion. I know Coach is not as high on the Reds as I am.

Buff
07-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I took the deal. Cueto is likely to regress in the 2nd half, because a ~2 ERA is unsustainable, but he's still better than all of my other pitchers - and I think Cespedes is equally likely to regress or get hurt in the 2nd half. Combined with the fact that I have a huge need for SP and a logjam on offense, and the fact that I'm not likely to be able to acquire a pitcher of Cueto's caliber from anyone else, I went for it.

MOtorboat
07-09-2014, 12:07 PM
After the All-Star break I'm going to have to make a decision.

Drop one of:
Corey Hart
Dayan Viciedo
Drew Stubbs
Carl Crawford
Alfonso Soriano

(Unless someone else goes on the DL)

Buff
07-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Alfonso Soriano got designated for assignment, and strikes out more than he hits even if another team gives him a chance, so that seems like a pretty easy decision.

MOtorboat
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Alfonso Soriano got designated for assignment, and strikes out more than he hits even if another team gives him a chance, so that seems like a pretty easy decision.

Yeah. He was awesome for me in the second half last year, but that's what I'm likely going to do. I have Emilio Bonifacio on the DL too, but I use him at 2nd. Brandon Hicks, the guy I tried to replace him with is terrible.

MOtorboat
07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm always late to prospects on my deep league, but I decided to jump on 3 who are on Baseball Prospectus' top 50. All three have been rumored to come up this year, and one did come up for one game.

3B - Gavin Cecchini, Red Sox
RHP - Matthew Wisler, Padres
RHP - Aaron Sanchex, Blue Jays

MOtorboat
07-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Wow. Almost immediately the Sanchez signing might pay off. They switched him to the bullpen at AAA, so a move to the bigs is, basically, imminent.

MOtorboat
07-24-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm always late to prospects on my deep league, but I decided to jump on 3 who are on Baseball Prospectus' top 50. All three have been rumored to come up this year, and one did come up for one game.

3B - Gavin Cecchini, Red Sox
RHP - Matthew Wisler, Padres
RHP - Aaron Sanchex, Blue Jays

Sanchez is up for the Blue Jays, first appearance, two innings, no runs, no hits, 2 Ks.

Where's coach? I want to know his thoughts. I also picked up Rymer Liriano in the Padres organization. Just promoted to Triple-A and I think could get the call with Headley now gone. Will definitely get the call next year if he continues to hit in Triple-A.

MOtorboat
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Sanchez is up for the Blue Jays, first appearance, two innings, no runs, no hits, 2 Ks.

Where's coach? I want to know his thoughts. I also picked up Rymer Liriano in the Padres organization. Just promoted to Triple-A and I think could get the call with Headley now gone. Will definitely get the call next year if he continues to hit in Triple-A.

Liriano's MLB debut tonight. It's against Colorado, so I'm expecting good things...

Sanchez update: 12.1 IP, 2 BB, 10 Ks, 2 wins, 2 holds, 2.19 ERA, 0.57 WHIP. As bad as Toronto is playing, he might be in the rotation by the end of August (not hearing rumors, just my own speculation).

Cecchini is hurt and no updates on Wisler. I thought he'd be up for San Diego.

MOtorboat
03-11-2015, 02:31 AM
No need for a new thread.

In my 20-team, 25-player, 13-keeper dynasty league:

Here are my keepers:
C Russell Martin, TOR
1B Kendrys Morales KC
SS Erick Aybar, LAA
3B Chase Headley, NYY
P Aaron Sanchez, TOR
P Homer Bailey, CIN (traded a pick to get him)
P Huston Street, LAA
P Matt Wisler, SD

I took flyers on Garin Cecchini, of Boston, and Rymer Liriano, of San Diego, late in free agency last year, because both are fairly high-rated prospects in their organization and made the bigs late last year. Both weren't blocked last year and now both are blocked. Should I keep either.

Likewise, I'm keeping Sanchez because of Stroman's injury as he is a lock for the rotation and had a 1.09 ERA in 33 innings last year. Matt Wisler is the guy rumored to headline the potential Cole Hamels trade before San Diego settled on Shields, so I'm keeping him for future potential.

My biggest dilemma: Carl Crawford. He's was the keystone of the roster I inherited three years ago and I've reluctantly held on to him. I have initially thought about parting with him this year. But I'm torn.

Thoughts?

Buff
03-11-2015, 09:06 AM
No need for a new thread.

In my 20-team, 25-player, 13-keeper dynasty league:

Here are my keepers:
C Russell Martin, TOR
1B Kendrys Morales KC
SS Erick Aybar, LAA
3B Chase Headley, NYY
P Aaron Sanchez, TOR
P Homer Bailey, CIN (traded a pick to get him)
P Huston Street, LAA
P Matt Wisler, SD

I took flyers on Garin Cecchini, of Boston, and Rymer Liriano, of San Diego, late in free agency last year, because both are fairly high-rated prospects in their organization and made the bigs late last year. Both weren't blocked last year and now both are blocked. Should I keep either.

Likewise, I'm keeping Sanchez because of Stroman's injury as he is a lock for the rotation and had a 1.09 ERA in 33 innings last year. Matt Wisler is the guy rumored to headline the potential Cole Hamels trade before San Diego settled on Shields, so I'm keeping him for future potential.

My biggest dilemma: Carl Crawford. He's was the keystone of the roster I inherited three years ago and I've reluctantly held on to him. I have initially thought about parting with him this year. But I'm torn.

Thoughts?

My first thought is - and I am not trying to be a dick (that just happens naturally) - where is all of your talent? But I'm pretty sure we had this discussion last year about you inheriting a crappy team. As it looks like you've been doing, I'd load up almost exclusively on high upside younger guys. You're not going to be able to compete unless you get some top-tier guys somehow. And the only way to do that in a 13 keeper league is to be a little bit early on some of the prospects.

Cut bait on Crawford - he's not getting any younger or more productive. I'd maybe even try to get aggressive and flip a couple of your bigger names like Street for some younger talent... It doesn't look like you're all that well positioned to win this year (no offense).

Buff
03-11-2015, 09:08 AM
I have my FB draft tonight. 20 teams, H2H points each category, 4 keepers. My keepers are:

Max Scherzer
Johnny Cueto
Ian Desmond
Nolan Arenado

I also have Hunter Pence and Jonathan Lucroy, but decided that Arenado's upside (along with the fact that we count assists) makes him more valuable than Lucroy or Pence.

MOtorboat
03-11-2015, 11:47 AM
I have my FB draft tonight. 20 teams, H2H points each category, 4 keepers. My keepers are:

Max Scherzer
Johnny Cueto
Ian Desmond
Nolan Arenado

I also have Hunter Pence and Jonathan Lucroy, but decided that Arenado's upside (along with the fact that we count assists) makes him more valuable than Lucroy or Pence.

I concur, without knowing who else you have.

MOtorboat
03-11-2015, 11:50 AM
My first thought is - and I am not trying to be a dick (that just happens naturally) - where is all of your talent? But I'm pretty sure we had this discussion last year about you inheriting a crappy team. As it looks like you've been doing, I'd load up almost exclusively on high upside younger guys. You're not going to be able to compete unless you get some top-tier guys somehow. And the only way to do that in a 13 keeper league is to be a little bit early on some of the prospects.

Cut bait on Crawford - he's not getting any younger or more productive. I'd maybe even try to get aggressive and flip a couple of your bigger names like Street for some younger talent... It doesn't look like you're all that well positioned to win this year (no offense).

The team has not been good. It's a tough league to trade in. I like the challenge of that size of roster on a day-to-day basis. But the league is veto happy. I wish I could remember the trade last year that would have significantly upgraded my talent, but it got vetoed because, well veto-happy owners think the veto is there for them to pick and choose who wins trades. The veto is there for corruption purposes and nothing else, but whatever, rant done.

MOtorboat
04-28-2015, 06:54 PM
**** Carl Crawford.

MOtorboat
05-26-2015, 04:19 PM
My first thought is - and I am not trying to be a dick (that just happens naturally) - where is all of your talent?

Currently, in first place.

:coffee:

Buff
05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Currently, in first place.

:coffee:

Morales, Aybar and Martin have all exceeded my expectations. I am addicted to daily fantasy baseball these days, but my regular team is currently sitting at in 2nd out of 20.

MOtorboat
05-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Morales, Aybar and Martin have all exceeded my expectations. I am addicted to daily fantasy baseball these days, but my regular team is currently sitting at in 2nd out of 20.

I have been pleasantly surprised by my entire team. Josh Reddick and Chase Headley have been pleasant surprises and Miguel Gonzalez and Alfredo Simon have both pitched very well.

Dapper Dan
05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
I should probably cut Homer Bailey.

Buff
05-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I should probably have cut Homer Bailey...

...27 days ago.

MOtorboat
06-15-2015, 10:45 AM
My three best pitchers went on the DL within five days of each other.

Dapper Dan
06-15-2015, 11:43 AM
For some reason, I have 5 Padres players on my keeper laugh team. I have no idea how this happened.

MOtorboat
06-15-2015, 11:48 AM
For some reason, I have 5 Padres players on my keeper laugh team. I have no idea how this happened.

If that "laugh" was autocorrect, it is quite funny. If it wasn't, I feel your pain.

Dapper Dan
06-15-2015, 02:33 PM
If that "laugh" was autocorrect, it is quite funny. If it wasn't, I feel your pain.

Oops.I think it was league. Somehow I'm still 8th out of 20.

MOtorboat
03-27-2016, 02:16 AM
My much maligned, crazy 20-team 13-keeper league where I'm always playing catch up because the guy I took over for thought Carl Crawford was a superstar and now I'm perpetually trying to recover, but am thoroughly addicted to, without a superstar 2016 team:

C - Russell Martin
1B - Byung-Ho Park
2B - Logan Forsythe
3B - Daniel Murphy
SS - Brandon Crawford
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Josh Reddick
OF - Hyun Soo Kim
UTIL - Kendrys Morales
B - Nomar Mazara
B - Socrates Brito
B - Eugenio Suarez