PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos need Von Miller to play this year like it's 2012

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — In need of a defensive differencemaker, the Broncos are in pursuit of arguably the most talented pass rusher in the NFL.

Von Miller, circa 2012.

"He's got to put last year behind him, and hopefully he learned his lesson from last year," general manager John Elway said at the NFL scouting combine. "Hopefully, he gets back to playing football and being the Von that he can be."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25213316/denver-broncos-need-von-miller-play-this-year

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I think every Broncos' fan would want him to return to his 2012 form. But how long is it going to take for his knee to be 100% and how long will it take for him to regain his explosiveness?

Buff
02-24-2014, 12:01 PM
We are dreaming if we're expecting a bounce back year from Von coming off an ACL tear in week 15. I expect this to be another lost year for him.

Klis' piece is kind of moronic in that it completely glosses over the catastrophic injury as if it's a non-factor.

Northman
02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
They have good rehab facilities so i think he will be fine. But he does need to stay out of trouble and get back to being a force on the field.

Buff
02-24-2014, 12:13 PM
They have good rehab facilities so i think he will be fine. But he does need to stay out of trouble and get back to being a force on the field.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think he's going to be 100% 8-9 months removed from ACL reconstruction. Adrian Peterson is basically the only person in the history of the world to ever make that work - and he is a freak of nature.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
We are dreaming if we're expecting a bounce back year from Von coming off an ACL tear in week 15. I completely expect this to be another lost year for him.

Klis' piece is kind of moronic in that it completely glosses over the catastrophic injury as if it's a non-factor.

No it's not moronic because we have no idea if his knee has to be exactkt 100% for him to be an impact player. If you want write off an entire season without one down having been played that's your choice but I won't.

Buff
02-24-2014, 12:36 PM
No it's not moronic because we have no idea if his knee has to be exactkt 100% for him to be an impact player. If you want write off an entire season without one down having been played that's your choice but I won't.

It is moronic to suggest that the Broncos need Von Miller to return to 2012 form this year to be successful. We can say with virtual certainty that he is not going to approach 18 sacks this year and we need to realistically structure the roster preparing for that reality.

We may as well just buy a lottery ticket if we are pinning our hopes on Von's pass rushing abilities in 2014.

silkamilkamonico
02-24-2014, 12:45 PM
If the Broncos "need" Miller to return to 2012 form next year they are asking the wrong questions, in so many different areas.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
He did not suffer any significant damage to any other ligaments in the knee, a fact expected to aid him in his bid to return for the 2014 season.

Miller's recovery is expected to keep him out of the team's offseason program and likely at least some of training camp.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10258075/von-miller-denver-broncos-set-acl-surgery-thursday

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
from article:

Talk to those in and around the Broncos and ask a question with Miller’s name in it and the same words keep popping up.

Maturity. Grown up. Settle down. Be a professional. Talent. And, yes, humility.

“I think he’s grown up a lot, I think it affected him during the year, it had to, everything that went on with him,’’ Elway said at the league’s scouting combine. “He’s done a tremendous job of doing the right things, and everything he’s supposed to be doing. Hopefully he can continue doing that and Von can be back to the Von we know he can be.’’

“Your hope is there is a maturation, an improvement,’’ Fox said this past week. “That’s what you hope with any player year to year. We have a lot of resources, a lot of people working very hard, whether it’s medically, spiritually, whatever, in that building … You’re looking for growth, that’s what you do. You find the best human talent and motivate them to get better. That’s really what we do.

Fox then added, “He’s a good kid, but sometimes, at least in the past, some things have popped up … I’m not going to sit here and guarantee anything.’’

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5294/broncos-want-more-far-more-from-miller

Northman
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I think people are kidding themselves if they think he's going to be 100% 8-9 months removed from ACL reconstruction. Adrian Peterson is basically the only person in the history of the world to ever make that work - and he is a freak of nature.

It really doesnt matter, he's their best defender and he needs to be on the field. I think you're taking it a bit too literally that they are expected 18 sacks. But the reality is they need him to be better than he was last year BEFORE the injury. At this point even at 85% he needs to play better than he. I think if we can at least get him in the 10-13 sack range would be a massive improvement.

Buff
02-24-2014, 02:36 PM
It really doesnt matter, he's their best defender and he needs to be on the field. I think you're taking it a bit too literally that they are expected 18 sacks. But the reality is they need him to be better than he was last year BEFORE the injury. At this point even at 85% he needs to play better than he. I think if we can at least get him in the 10-13 sack range would be a massive improvement.

Expecting anything other than a regression is being naive. Maybe he'll surprise and that would be great - but science tells us that we need to make other arrangements.

artie_dale
02-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Step one, lose the added weight so the tendants and joints can help him heal at the weight he was intended to be (2011/2012).

Northman
02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Expecting anything other than a regression is being naive. Maybe he'll surprise and that would be great - but science tells us that we need to make other arrangements.

Not sure i follow, do you mean draft or sign a FA to fill his void? Do you think he will play at all next year?

Buff
02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Not sure i follow, do you mean draft or sign a FA to fill his void? Do you think he will play at all next year?

I've contended all along that LB is our biggest need. Trevatahan is just ok IMO, Woodyard needs to be replaced, and we'll be lucky to get half a season's worth of production out of Von. Irving is just a serviceable backup. So we should look to the draft and FA to fill that void. It's not like we're set at the position outside of Von.

luckyseven
02-24-2014, 03:57 PM

a lot of folks also believe/believed that Von is a freak also.

I however believe your closer to the norm.

luckyseven
02-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I've contended all along that LB is our biggest need. Trevatahan is just ok IMO, Woodyard needs to be replaced, and we'll be lucky to get half a season's worth of production out of Von. Irving is just a serviceable backup. So we should look to the draft and FA to fill that void. It's not like we're set at the position outside of Von.

I believe that DT is more than just OK.. #5 on the list of tackles in the post season.#11 in the regular season. tied for #5 in FF, 2 sacks, 13 passes defensed. IMO just a tad above ok in fact IMO perhaps close to our best defender.

WW does IMO need to be replaced as MLB but only if we can find a true 3 down guy. I never wish to see a MLB that can not play every down, if it not then do not bother Irving can probably do that.

spikerman
02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
I never heard, but I assume that unlike Harris' injury, Von's was a complete tear? I really hope he loses the weight. I'm no doctor, but I assume that can only help with his recovery in addition to making him a better player.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 08:35 PM
It is moronic to suggest that the Broncos need Von Miller to return to 2012 form this year to be successful. We can say with virtual certainty that he is not going to approach 18 sacks this year and we need to realistically structure the roster preparing for that reality.

We may as well just buy a lottery ticket if we are pinning our hopes on Von's pass rushing abilities in 2014.

I think you missed the point of Klis was getting at. Returning to a particular form doesn't mean he'll get 18 sacks. Second, given that on paper Denver has what potentially one of the toughest in the League it would help to have him on the field. I'm pretty sure Klis didn't say Denver would fail if was back to 2012 form.

Go ahead and a lottery ticket if you like but the chance of Miller returning to 2012 form by some point in the season are a hell of a lot better than you winning the lottery.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The 2013 year was a difficult and frustrating one individually for linebacker Von Miller. Away from the field, there were legal woes and a six-game substance-abuse suspension to start the season. On it, there was a torn anterior cruciate ligament to end his season in Week 16.

Undoubtedly, the events did not help his on-field play, and the consistency of his 2012 season, in which he set a Broncos record, was hard to find. The task now is to ensure that as he recovers from the torn ACL, the off-field issues within his control are not repeated.

"I think that he has grown up a lot," said Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway. 'I think he did a good job to adjusting, even though it affected him during the year.

"He's done a tremendous job of doing the right things and everything he's supposed to be doing. So hopefully he can continue to do that, because we'd love Von to be back to the Von we know he can be."

rest, plus Elway video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Miller-Has-Grown-Up-A-Lot/b1cba84e-a6d5-4100-8496-1f15a5cc3e95

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2014, 10:39 PM
from same article

The recovery of Miller's knee, which he injured against the Houston Texans on Dec. 22, is less in Miller's control than the off-field issues. The timetable for a typical recovery from that injury means that he could still be dealing with rehabilitation as training camp begins, but the progress appears to positive so far -- "from what I can hear," Elway said.

"Then going through treatment and everything, he's been doing good," Elway said.

The Broncos hope they can say the same of Miller this fall, both in his recovery and personal growth.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-Miller-Has-Grown-Up-A-Lot/b1cba84e-a6d5-4100-8496-1f15a5cc3e95

LawDog
02-25-2014, 06:43 PM

And you know this because every ACL injury and subsequent repair is exactly the same?

TXBRONC
02-25-2014, 08:24 PM
And you know this because every ACL injury and subsequent repair is exactly the same?

From I remembered his ACL injury wasn't the most severe and that's supported by Carol's post. That's why it's not moronic to think that Miller might possibly return to forum the season is over. It's no gurantee but it's far from moronic to think he could return to forum.

Shazam!
02-25-2014, 08:40 PM
It's a joke to not think Von at 50% wouldnt be a great help.

Buff
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM

Of course there are always outliers, which is why I mentioned Peterson, but I think there have been enough players to suffer the same injury over the years to extrapolate some trends on the typical recovery period.

I mainly took issue with Klis' narrative that Miller needs to mature to return to his 2012 form this season. He only mentions the ACL tear as a passing thought as if it's a minor factor. Miller played at such an exceptionally high level in 2012 that I think it would be a tall order for him to replicate that production if he was 100% healthy - let alone coming off of a tear so late in the season.

spikerman
02-26-2014, 07:11 AM
It's a joke to not think Von at 50% wouldnt be a great help.

Von at 50% would not be a great help. In fact, a 50% Von Miller should never see the field.

TXBRONC
02-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Of course there are always outliers, which is why I mentioned Peterson, but I think there have been enough players to suffer the same injury over the years to extrapolate some trends on the typical recovery period.

I mainly took issue with Klis' narrative that Miller needs to mature to return to his 2012 form this season. He only mentions the ACL tear as a passing thought as if it's a minor factor. Miller played at such an exceptionally high level in 2012 that I think it would be a tall order for him to replicate that production if he was 100% healthy - let alone coming off of a tear so late in the season.

I think you missed the point LawDog was making. He was making the point not ACL injuries are exactly the same. Peterson's injury from what has been reported was severe Miller's on the other hand has been reported as less severe.

Buff
02-26-2014, 10:43 AM
I think you missed the point LawDog was making. He was making the point not ACL injuries are exactly the same. Peterson's injury from what has been reported was severe Miller's on the other hand has been reported as less severe.

I understand - but even if it's less severe it's still an ACL tear on a guy who relies on speed and cuts - and he's still got an extended rehab in front of him. My point still stands that Klis' narrative completely missed the boat.

TXBRONC
02-26-2014, 11:14 AM
I understand - but even if it's less severe it's still an ACL tear on a guy who relies on speed and cuts - and he's still got an extended rehab in front of him. My point still stands that Klis' narrative completely missed the boat.

You mean he has more rehab beyond what is typical? I respect your point but I differ with you on Klis completely missing the boat.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 52m

Von Miller way ahead of schedule with his ACL recovery. Fifteen pounds lighter too.

dogfish
03-25-2014, 06:35 PM
the fifteen pounds lighter part is definitely good to hear. . .

:defense:

luckyseven
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM

Von Miller way ahead of schedule with his ACL recovery. Fifteen pounds lighter too.

thanks for the update..

I'm sure that all of those fans that worried about him putting on extra weight from the year before will be thrilled to the point of (.....................) .

DenBronx
03-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Why do fans put percentages on athletes of how healed up they are?

"Vons not going to be 100%" "Von will only be 76% the player he was before" "There is only a 50% chance he will ever be the same player" "He will only play 45% of the season"

Just sounds dumb when in fact he's probably going to play week 1 of regular season. If he's playing week 1 then who cares about percentages?

DenBronx
03-25-2014, 11:24 PM

From all of the reports I have seen he is not only going to be ready once the season starts but is also ahead of schedule. That's great news.

Now all we need to do is keep him from driving. :laugh: