PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Tim Tebow could return to Denver to play in a new pro league

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
A second coming of Tim Tebow in Denver?

WWTD?

The possibility of the Mile High Messiah returning to play quarterback for Denver is mind-boggling, but not as far-fetched as it may seem.

A new spring, outdoor professional football league has been created and financed. Tebow's reps have been approached about the former Broncos QB playing in the league, and a franchise most likely will be awarded soon to Denver. ESPN, which now employs The Big Tebowski, will televise league games.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_25209145/paige-tim-tebow-could-return-denver-play-new

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
from same article:

So, what does all the rigmarole have to do with Denver?

"We will have eight teams next year," A11FL commissioner Scott McKibben told me by phone Saturday afternoon from San Francisco. He acknowledged publicly for the first time: "Today, the leading candidates for the remaining two franchises are the Denver Gold and the (Detroit) Michigan Panthers. Obviously, we know of the popularity and history of pro football in Denver."

Are you ready for some more football, Denver?

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_25209145/paige-tim-tebow-could-return-denver-play-new

SR
02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
That league will fall on its face just like every other pro football imposter has.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
That league will fall on its face just like every other pro football imposter has.

The A11FL should be taken seriously, even if the USFL, the WFL, the XFL and the UFL failed. The A11FL's plan, McKibben said, is to complement, not compete with, the NFL.

"We're not making mistakes other leagues did. We always will be a spring league," the former newspaper publisher and Rose Bowl executive director said. "We're an aspiration league. There are hundreds of quality players who aspire to play in the NFL, and we'll provide them with a chance to prove themselves. We'll be playing in major population and media markets in NFL stadiums, and we have the No. 1 sports network partner in ESPN."

What is A-11? Unlike the NFL, there will be no numbering system. "All 11 offensive players will be eligible to receive the ball, depending on where they line up," McKibben said. "Our offenses will be up-tempo, like Chip Kelly's (in Philadelphia) and the Broncos."

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_25209145/paige-tim-tebow-could-return-denver-play-new

reimx007
02-23-2014, 02:10 PM
The Tebow issue aside......

Im sure this would be a lot of fun for Denver, if the league were to survive. If I lived in CO I would try to go to a few games.
I like the idea of giving more players the opportunities to play and show what they have, and doing it here in the same stadiums rather than shipping them over to Europe. But still, how many of these leagues have failed?

SR
02-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Im sure this would be a lot of fun for Denver, if the league were to survive. If I lived in CO I would try to go to a few games.
I like the idea of giving more players the opportunities to play and show what they have, and doing it here in the same stadiums rather than shipping them over to Europe. But still, how many of these leagues have failed?

Six.

Carol, my opinion still stands regardless of what you copied and pasted.

MOtorboat
02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
It's basically a 7 on 7 drill with a few more players on the field. It's gimmicky, and won't draw well.

DenBronx
02-23-2014, 02:25 PM

So what.

Many fans that crave more football will still watch it. Until it does and maybe it doesnt, I will still be a fan of it.

Shazam!
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I posted something about the A11 in another thread I think.

I'm all for more football.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
A-11 is seriously the gayest form of "football" in the long history of ever, if I were Tebow I would avoid this like the offers from the other leagues.

SR
02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
So what.

Many fans that crave more football will still watch it. Until it does and maybe it doesnt, I will still be a fan of it.

Cool.

Lancane
02-23-2014, 04:30 PM
There is another football league that is successful and worth watching...it's called the CFL.

DenBronx
02-23-2014, 04:39 PM
There is another football league that is successful and worth watching...it's called the CFL.

I like it all really. I had some friends and family that I went to go see a high school football game with last year and I still really enjoyed it.

High School
College
CFL
Arena
NFL

Doesnt matter, I enjoy it all because no other sport even compares.

OrangeHoof
02-23-2014, 04:42 PM
I enjoyed the USFL and thought the spring league concept would fly. The problem is that you need owners who aren't jonesing to be NFL owners like Donald Trump. Accept that you are a spring league with lesser talent and discover your own stars.

Lancane
02-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I enjoyed the USFL and thought the spring league concept would fly. The problem is that you need owners who aren't jonesing to be NFL owners like Donald Trump. Accept that you are a spring league with lesser talent and discover your own stars.

USFL at least had similar rules to NCAA and NFL, that is part of the attraction it held for former NFL Players and Coaches, this new league as someone pointed out will be gimmicky and IMHO that is why it will fail. The Arena League and other gimmicky leagues have had television partners before, but they've always been dropped in the end due to poor ratings among the demographic, the USFL never had a solid foundational following nor national television rights and it hurt the league. CFL is close enough to NCAA and NFL in rules and gameplay to at least be enjoyable, that is my opinion on the matter.

In truthfulness the smartest move for any would be league would be to hook-up with the CFL in partnership with the NFL and NFLN, call it the NAFL - North American Football Leagues and have the CFL east and west conferences and AFL east and west conferences, despite the ratings here on a partnered network like the NFLN, it would have gotten enough coverage in Canada to remain successful and probably would have expanded the popularity of the that league here and across the border. I know me and Joel have discussed this, but I really believe that is where some pro-leagues have failed, they're trying to launch in a picky and staunch sport that is dominated by the NFL and will continue to be so. XFL and USFL tried to start from scratch in a market that is dominated by the NFL not to mention the NCAA. Another problem is that gimmicky football in areas that support certain standards in the sport will have less tolerance among the fans, part of the reason Denver's Arena team despite their win-loss record eventually folded wasn't due IMHO to the team as much as, they have the Broncos who play 'real' football. Though the CFL has little differences in the overall production, they're still close enough to NFL and NCAA standards that it's comparable. At least expanding the Canadian Football League by incorporating something like the American Football League makes sense, especially if they target the thirstier markets.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2014, 05:36 PM
They should put the entire A-11 league in LA and shut everybody the **** up about it. Kill two birds with one super gay stone.

BroncoJoe
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
The Denver Gold were the first USFL Champions. Bring them back!

OrangeHoof
02-23-2014, 08:25 PM
The USFL had national contracts with ABC and TSPN for *spring* football and some markets also had local telecasts. They were set up very well but Trump signed Herschel Walker and some other stars out of college before the NFL could draft them and that opened the payroll floodgates which they could not sustain without switching to the fall and competing directly with the NFL. That was their big mistake. The early investors wanted to grow their league slowly as a spring league when there is nothing but crap on for sports television and capture all those NFL fans going through withdrawal.

IMO, it was a workable plan until Trump decided he'd be the Steinbrenner of the USFL and buy all the best players. That was their downfall. That and the $3 award they got for proving the NFL ran a monopoly.

Dapper Dan
02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I would be happy with any Spring Football League.

bcbronc
02-23-2014, 11:52 PM
USFL at least had similar rules to NCAA and NFL, that is part of the attraction it held for former NFL Players and Coaches, this new league as someone pointed out will be gimmicky and IMHO that is why it will fail. The Arena League and other gimmicky leagues have had television partners before, but they've always been dropped in the end due to poor ratings among the demographic, the USFL never had a solid foundational following nor national television rights and it hurt the league. CFL is close enough to NCAA and NFL in rules and gameplay to at least be enjoyable, that is my opinion on the matter.

In truthfulness the smartest move for any would be league would be to hook-up with the CFL in partnership with the NFL and NFLN, call it the NAFL - North American Football Leagues and have the CFL east and west conferences and AFL east and west conferences, despite the ratings here on a partnered network like the NFLN, it would have gotten enough coverage in Canada to remain successful and probably would have expanded the popularity of the that league here and across the border. I know me and Joel have discussed this, but I really believe that is where some pro-leagues have failed, they're trying to launch in a picky and staunch sport that is dominated by the NFL and will continue to be so. XFL and USFL tried to start from scratch in a market that is dominated by the NFL not to mention the NCAA. Another problem is that gimmicky football in areas that support certain standards in the sport will have less tolerance among the fans, part of the reason Denver's Arena team despite their win-loss record eventually folded wasn't due IMHO to the team as much as, they have the Broncos who play 'real' football. Though the CFL has little differences in the overall production, they're still close enough to NFL and NCAA standards that it's comparable. At least expanding the Canadian Football League by incorporating something like the American Football League makes sense, especially if they target the thirstier markets.

I'm not sure it would be as gimmicky as you think. Sounds like it's based on a higschool offense I've read about called something like A11 or E11 where the eligibility rules are the same (7 men on LOS, ends are eligible) but the formations are unorthodox. Chip Kelly used a bit of it this past year when he'd have two OL line up near the sidelines with an eligible receiver behind them and only 3 "OL" in the traditional spot. There wasn't much detail in that article, but my take is that there simply wouldn't be eligible numbers, and eligibility would be determined strictly by formation. Probably means you would see tight ends instead of true offensive linemen, and lots of unusual formations.

Might be gimmicky, or it could be just NCAA football taken to the next level.

As for your CFL idea, I like it. My biggest issue with the CFL is how few teams there are. It's good football, but when there's only 8 or so teams (depending on the year, lol) and each plays 18 games, it means you see the same teams play each other every week. And when 6 of 8 make the playoffs, it means most of those games are as important as your typical preseason game.

There was an American conference for a few years, didn't seem to take well though. Had teams in Schreveport, Las Vegas, Baltimore (pre-Ravens) and some other places. IIRC only Baltimore really got on board fan support wise.

The powers that be in the CFL don't want to lose their history (Grey Cup is the oldest major sports championship in North America). A league name change was discussed at the time, but would be a very tough sell. Rules are different, and no way the league would change to 4 downs or 11 men. There is also a rule that requires a certain amount of Canadians on each team, which is a huge issue to help Canadians get a place on the team (no where near the development in high school or younger north of the border, so talented Canadians frequently need a couple of years of pro coaching to close the gap). When there were American teams in the past they got around this rule by setting a minimum number of import players, meaning American franchises had to have as many non-American players as the Canadian teams, so it wasn't a huge hurdle.

There has also been past development agreements with the NFL and CFL. CFL probably would have folded a decade or so ago if the NFL didn't step in with so me cash. CFL is in a better position now than it was then, but it's an idea that makes a lot of sense.

I'd personally love to see eight to ten American franchises added in smaller markets. Don't know if calliing it the North American Football league would fly though, might be able to get Continental Football League passed but even that would cause some controversy.

As for the A11, I wouldn't turn NHL playoffs off to check it out, but it'd have to be better than baseball.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure it would be as gimmicky as you think. Sounds like it's based on a higschool offense I've read about called something like A11 or E11 where the eligibility rules are the same (7 men on LOS, ends are eligible) but the formations are unorthodox. Chip Kelly used a bit of it this past year when he'd have two OL line up near the sidelines with an eligible receiver behind them and only 3 "OL" in the traditional spot. There wasn't much detail in that article, but my take is that there simply wouldn't be eligible numbers, and eligibility would be determined strictly by formation. Probably means you would see tight ends instead of true offensive linemen, and lots of unusual formations.

Might be gimmicky, or it could be just NCAA football taken to the next level.

As for your CFL idea, I like it. My biggest issue with the CFL is how few teams there are. It's good football, but when there's only 8 or so teams (depending on the year, lol) and each plays 18 games, it means you see the same teams play each other every week. And when 6 of 8 make the playoffs, it means most of those games are as important as your typical preseason game.

There was an American conference for a few years, didn't seem to take well though. Had teams in Schreveport, Las Vegas, Baltimore (pre-Ravens) and some other places. IIRC only Baltimore really got on board fan support wise.

The powers that be in the CFL don't want to lose their history (Grey Cup is the oldest major sports championship in North America). A league name change was discussed at the time, but would be a very tough sell. Rules are different, and no way the league would change to 4 downs or 11 men. There is also a rule that requires a certain amount of Canadians on each team, which is a huge issue to help Canadians get a place on the team (no where near the development in high school or younger north of the border, so talented Canadians frequently need a couple of years of pro coaching to close the gap). When there were American teams in the past they got around this rule by setting a minimum number of import players, meaning American franchises had to have as many non-American players as the Canadian teams, so it wasn't a huge hurdle.

There has also been past development agreements with the NFL and CFL. CFL probably would have folded a decade or so ago if the NFL didn't step in with so me cash. CFL is in a better position now than it was then, but it's an idea that makes a lot of sense.

I'd personally love to see eight to ten American franchises added in smaller markets. Don't know if calliing it the North American Football league would fly though, might be able to get Continental Football League passed but even that would cause some controversy.

As for the A11, I wouldn't turn NHL playoffs off to check it out, but it'd have to be better than baseball.

TE's instead of OL doesn't sound gimmicky to you?

Lancane
02-24-2014, 12:52 AM
BC, the one thing that I've come to notice is that their are different schools of thought on the state of football. Those that are okay with the evolution of the sport and don't mind the gimmicky nature of change; those who are against the evolution of the sport and loath such changes and gimmick based systems and those who are in the middle who see pros and cons with both. I for one am against the gimmick type systems and players like Wilson and Tebow, I'm of the opinion that if it's not broke you don't fix it and the NFL isn't broke just yet, it's close with the way the Goodell is running things though. What if the MLB went with Shortstops moving to the mound and had Pitchers throwing from Second Base? The NHL, MLB and NBA have undergone some changes but the sport was never allowed to develop into a lesser pastime into an almost comedic format and I see the league heading in that direction and it makes me ill.

The CFL is close enough in rules and regulations of the NFL that others like me can still enjoy the game, but it's also possible that this new league is bound to take the gimmick aspect and run with it far more then the Canadian Football League has thus far allowed in their own league, I also believe that will make it fail among others with a similar mindset to my own. I don't like the Arena League either for much the same reasons, it was fun in the beginning but wore itself out and now is more like a monster rally then a football game. If it was more like the original USFL which tried to copy the NFL then, well who knows.

bcbronc
02-24-2014, 03:59 AM
So Lan, what do you think of today's NCAA offences? A decade ago they would have been considered gimicky as all heck. CFL rules, if it was starting out brand new today would also be considered too gimicky (and is by a lot of NFL fans).

Arena football I've never been able to watch, it's simply not football. This new league, if the worst of it is there's no player that is always ineligible as in real football's OLinemen (the odd exception not withstanding) but the general concepts of football are still there, I'll at least give it a shot.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 07:41 AM

I don't mind watching the CFL I also like the Arena League which has been around for over 30 years.

Northman
02-24-2014, 08:30 AM
With or without Tebow i have zero interest in a B & C rated version of football.

BroncoJoe
02-24-2014, 08:44 AM

My bad. It was the Denver Dynamite of the AFL that won the first "professional" football championship for Denver.

I always like the Denver Gold's uniforms though. They also had Red Miller as coach for a bit.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM

No it was the Michigan Panthers but the Inagrual Championship game was played in Denver.

Lancane
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
So Lan, what do you think of today's NCAA offences? A decade ago they would have been considered gimicky as all heck. CFL rules, if it was starting out brand new today would also be considered too gimicky (and is by a lot of NFL fans).

Arena football I've never been able to watch, it's simply not football. This new league, if the worst of it is there's no player that is always ineligible as in real football's OLinemen (the odd exception not withstanding) but the general concepts of football are still there, I'll at least give it a shot.

The problem with today's NCAA is that like the NFL it has a copycat trend that seems to take hold, I would say it's worse in the NCAA because so many schools are in contention for various bowl games year in and year out. Another problem is that it hides the deficiencies of the players which leads to a higher number of busts at the Pro Level. There are times that I can't stand watching collegiate football anymore, then comes along some teams worth watching and my interest peaks again...it's like an off again, on again love affair because I love the sport. Other times I get depressed and go back and watch film of the better teams of the 80's and 90's which makes me more at ease.

As for the new league, I might give it a chance - but if it looks how it sounds, then I guarantee I'd rather waste my free hours doing something else or watching something else then another gimmick based league. I'd rather have the NFLE return to be honest. There is another league that is suppose to be starting here soon to...so.

Ravage!!!
02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
No one goes to watch college s ports that have the 7 on 7 passing leagues. Who's going to pay to go watch these games? No one, and then it comes down to who's going to pay to run the league? No one.

BroncoNut
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

I would try out for the league if they came to my area