PDA

View Full Version : NFL to penalize use of racial slur

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2014, 04:04 PM
The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.

John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL's competition committee will enact the rule at the owners' meeting next month.

"We did talk about it, I'm sure that you saw near the end of the year that Fritz Pollard (Alliance) came out very strong with the message that the league needs to do something about the language on the field," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who is on the league's competition committee. "So we did discuss over the last three days."

Newsome also said the committee talked about other slurs coming under any possible new rule, including homophobic slurs.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10500657/nfl-expected-penalize-players-using-racial-slurs-games

chazoe60
02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
That is ******* ridiculous.

What about cracker?

spikerman
02-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I'll be curious to see how this works. When I've worked semi-pro games the N-word is used more like a comma than a derogatory word. I hear it occasionally in HS, but more often with adults. I assume it's pretty prevalent in the NFL as well.

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 04:50 PM
I'll be curious to see how this works. When I've worked semi-pro games the N-word is used more like a comma than a derogatory word. I hear it occasionally in HS, but more often with adults. I assume it's pretty prevalent in the NFL as well.
Thanks for the insight.
I know the lockeroom is a hotbed for it, on the field I would think it would cause animosity from across the LOS.

shank
02-22-2014, 04:56 PM
15 yards for cyber-bullying on twitter.

Northman
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM

My thoughts exactly. Its pretty common for black athletes to address each other in this manner so im just not sure how this is going to work.

Simple Jaded
02-22-2014, 05:33 PM
How bout Porch Monkey? Is that bad?

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 06:24 PM
My thoughts exactly. Its pretty common for black athletes to address each other in this manner so im just not sure how this is going to work.

For decades their forefathers were called this and worse. I do not understand why anyone would want to revert.

They were racially segregated for centuries, yet in the past couple couple of decades most black athletes have requested separate dorms or wings of dorms.

Once again I do not get why they do not wish to avail themselves to full integration into American life.

UnderArmour
02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
They were racially segregated for centuries, yet in the past couple couple of decades most black athletes have requested separate dorms or wings of dorms.

Provide a source.

SR
02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
For decades their forefathers were called this and worse. I do not understand why anyone would want to revert. They were racially segregated for centuries, yet in the past couple couple of decades most black athletes have requested separate dorms or wings of dorms. Once again I do not get why they do not wish to avail themselves to full integration into American life.

They say it to each other.

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Provide a source.

You can go to almost any history book.

shank
02-22-2014, 07:06 PM
:burdenofprooffulfilled:

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 07:08 PM
They say it to each other.

as did they as slaves and on forward to the mid 60's when the conversion from Negro and the slur N word were pretty much converted to either black and later on to afro-American.

I repeat what is the motivation to march back in time, obviously the teachings of MLK the hardships of Rosa Parks and others, fell through the cracks of their education.

UnderArmour
02-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Again, please provide a source. If I can go to "almost any history book", then you should have no problem producing a source.

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Again, please provide a source. If I can go to "almost any history book", then you should have no problem producing a source.

I'll stay with my comment go to a history book and look it up yourself, I'll even bet the Internet, has some reference for it. I learned in school, when they where still teaching history.
If you want to know, look it up if you want if not I'm not wasting my time to educate you.

UnderArmour
02-22-2014, 07:36 PM
I'll stay with my comment go to a history book and look it up yourself, I'll even bet the Internet, has some reference for it. I learned in school, when they where still teaching history.
If you want to know, look it up if you want if not I'm not wasting my time to educate you.

Again, please provide a source. If it's readily available on the internet, you should have no problem providing a source. If you're going to make a claim on a message board and not substantiate it with a source, then you shouldn't be making that claim and you shouldn't be posting.

I'm making an entirely reasonable request here. Provide a source on "most Black athletes wanting separate dorm wings" in the last couple of decades. You're making a claim that most Black athletes don't want to intermix but you're refusing to provide a source.

If you want for this community to take you seriously at all, you'll provide a source when someone asks for it or you'll drop your claim.

OrangeHoof
02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
If you're going to make a claim on a message board and not substantiate it with a source, then you shouldn't be making that claim and you shouldn't be posting.

If you want for this community to take you seriously at all, you'll provide a source when someone asks for it or you'll drop your claim.

So, by that standard, we should ban all posters who claim that Tim Tebow can't throw or that John Fox can't coach.

Dzone
02-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Bring back the XFL!

OrangeHoof
02-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Bring back the XFL!

They would have to ban "He Hate Me". Can't have hate in the new, PCNFL.

DenBronx
02-22-2014, 09:33 PM
The NFL in 2035 is going to attatch computers to their brains that will notify officials when players think racial slurd as well.

DenBronx
02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Bring back the XFL!

I liked the XFL! Lol

UnderArmour
02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
So, by that standard, we should ban all posters who claim that Tim Tebow can't throw or that John Fox can't coach.

He said most Black athletes prefer to be segregated, yet he failed to provide any kind of evidence when asked. Those who claim Tebow can't throw are more than happy to provide primary(statistics) and secondary(articles) sources to substantiate their opinions, and that's fine. I've asked this guy three times now for sources and he won't provide anything. It's like if I said grass is red instead of green then insisted that a person "go look outside" even though grass is clearly green. I find it ridiculous.

Dapper Dan
02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
I liked the XFL! Lol

Orlando Rage! Jeff Brohm! That was my shit, ni... oops.

So I just found out Jeff Brohm took over for Bobby Petrino at WKU. That's pretty awesome. I hope that works out.

SR
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
as did they as slaves and on forward to the mid 60's when the conversion from Negro and the slur N word were pretty much converted to either black and later on to afro-American.

I repeat what is the motivation to march back in time, obviously the teachings of MLK the hardships of Rosa Parks and others, fell through the cracks of their education.

I doubt there are a bunch of white people walking around the football field calling black players niggers out of spite. Regardless of if it's white calling blacks "******", or blacks calling blacks "nigga", it's still a racial slur. If this rule is going to be enforced, which it shouldn't, they should enforce it wholly and not give anyone a "pass" because of their "past". Shit like that is what keeps racial tension around. It pisses me off when I hear black people saying "wassup nigga!?" then get offended when they hear Edword Norton say "******" in the movie American History X. Keep it out of everyone's vocabulary, or don't keep it out of anyone's.

aberdien
02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
It will be fun if luckyseven spends a lot of time in P&R.

aberdien
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln banged the wife of Steven Douglass before each of their debates in 1858? That's actually why Lincoln became president.

atwater27
02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Oh lucky 7 just quit while you're ahead.

atwater27
02-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I say the idea is great for the NFL. Bring some class and decorum back to the league. But we all know it will be a failed policy that will be near impossible to enforce without major drama. And somehow somewhere a lawsuit will be filed that accuses Goodell and the NFL of being racist for disallowing black people from using the word as a badge of earned honor from slave ancestry.

SR
02-23-2014, 03:11 PM
I say the idea is great for the NFL. Bring some class and decorum back to the league. But we all know it will be a failed policy that will be near impossible to enforce without major drama. And somehow somewhere a lawsuit will be filed that accuses Goodell and the NFL of being racist for disallowing black people from using the word as a badge of earned honor from slave ancestry.

I'm all for the NFL bringing some class back to the game, but I'm also in favor of freedom of speech. We all know what's largely acceptable and what's not when it comes to words. If people want to use language that is widely considered unacceptable, let them deal with the consequences of doing so. We're all free to make whatever decisions we want to make. If we make poor choices, we have to deal with the outcome. I don't think it's Goodell's place (or anyone else's) to determine what can and cannot be said on a football field.

atwater27
02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
They are doing this because they want more microphones to pick up the sounds from the field. Too often their garbage is heard in living rooms across the country which contrary to popular belief is made up of families and decent folks who don't want their kids to hear it. The hard part will be policing the fans.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:16 PM
They are doing this because they want more microphones to pick up the sounds from the field. Too often their garbage is heard in living rooms across the country which contrary to popular belief is made up of families and decent folks who don't want their kids to hear it. The hard part will be policing the fans.

I bet the Miami situation has something to do with it as well. They are probably just trying to eliminate that word from the NFL as much as possible now.

SR
02-23-2014, 03:20 PM

I understand that. Kind of playing Devil's Advocate here, but when families are sitting down watching a game together and the on-field microphones pick up something that might be a little brash, it's an opportunity to teach our kids right from wrong and actually be parents.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:22 PM
I understand that. Kind of playing Devil's Advocate here, but when families are sitting down watching a game together and the on-field microphones pick up something that might be a little brash, it's an opportunity to teach our kids right from wrong and actually be parents.

Definitely agree with this. Eventually your kids are gonna see and hear stuff. Can't shield them forever. But by the same token, parents can just choose to not let their kids watch NFL games if they are hearing the N word get picked up by mikes, so I can see where the NFL is coming from.

SR
02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Definitely agree with this. Eventually your kids are gonna see and hear stuff. Can't shield them forever. But by the same token, parents can just choose to not let their kids watch NFL games if they are hearing the N word get picked up by mikes, so I can see where the NFL is coming from.

Agreed.

To be fair, I can't think of a time where I've heard "the N-word" get picked up by microphones, but there have been plenty of occasions where I've heard the F-Bomb, shit, bitch, damn, etc.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Agreed.

To be fair, I can't think of a time where I've heard "the N-word" get picked up by microphones, but there have been plenty of occasions where I've heard the F-Bomb, shit, bitch, damn, etc.

They, for the most part, do a good job of editing them out. All live sports are on a slight tape delay, so a lot of times you will hear the mikes on the field go quiet for a second or two, and that's usually a curse word being muted out. But yeah, I definitely hear those words slip by more than the N word.

OrangeHoof
02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
They already have penalties for "unsportsmanlike conduct" and "taunting". They don't need another penalty unless they want to give the refs a funny gesture to make while they are announcing the call. I wonder what the ref's symbol for "saying the N-word" would look like?

Dzone
02-23-2014, 05:15 PM
At one time it was acceptable to call blacks Negros. President Kennedy said it. Then it switched to "Colored people", then "black", then african american and now Its "people of color". Wonder what it will change to next...

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:25 PM
They already have penalties for "unsportsmanlike conduct" and "taunting". They don't need another penalty unless they want to give the refs a funny gesture to make while they are announcing the call. I wonder what the ref's symbol for "saying the N-word" would look like?

It will look just like the symbol for unsportsmanlike conduct. :)

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:28 PM
At one time it was acceptable to call blacks Negros. President Kennedy said it. Then it switched to "Colored people", then "black", then african american and now Its "people of color". Wonder what it will change to next...

Not that anybody cares, and not that it has anything to do with this thread, but I detest the phrase "African-American." I hate pretty much "Anything-American." Why can't we just be "American?" I think the hyphen does as much to divide us as anything else in the English language. Ok, back to penalizing Honky-Americans.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Not that anybody cares, and not that it has anything to do with this thread, but I detest the phrase "African-American." I hate pretty much "Anything-American." Why can't we just be "American?" I think the hyphen does as much to divide us as anything else in the English language. Ok, back to penalizing Honky-Americans.

I find it really hilarious when ignorant media ****tards call black people from the Carribbean area "African-Americans".

MOtorboat
02-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I find it really hilarious when ignorant media ****tards call black people from the Carribbean area "African-Americans".

Because the slave trade was exclusive to United States?

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Because the slave trade was exclusive to America?

So what do you call white people who immigrated here from Africa?

MOtorboat
02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
So what do you call white people who immigrated here from Africa?

Afrikaaners?

I don't know, but I would imagine there aren't many that did. The Caribbean is still the Americas, and the slave trade is how black people got there too.

BroncoWave
02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I don't know, but I would imagine there aren't many that did. The Caribbean is still the Americas, and the slave trade is how black people got there too.

Fair enough, but no one from the Carribbean is referred to as "American". They are referred to as Cuban, Dominican, Hatiian, etc. Why are they suddenly "African-Americans" when the media talks about them?

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Afrikaaners?

I don't know, but I would imagine there aren't many that did. The Caribbean is still the Americas, and the slave trade is how black people got there too. Don't a lot of people believe that ALL people originated in Africa?

Afrikaaners only applies to people from South Africa (I think). The thread has been derailed enough, but nobody will ever convince me that the hyphen, in any way, improves race relations. If everybody wants a hyphen then I want to see "European-American" on official forms instead of "white" or "Caucasian." Ok, seriously, I'll be back on topic since this isn't the right forum for this. Sorry mods.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Why teach your kids when you can get offended?

MOtorboat
02-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Don't a lot of people believe that ALL people originated in Africa?

Afrikaaners only applies to people from South Africa (I think). The thread has been derailed enough, but nobody will ever convince me that the hyphen, in any way, improves race relations. If everybody wants a hyphen then I want to see "European-American" on official forms instead of "white" or "Caucasian." Ok, seriously, I'll be back on topic since this isn't the right forum for this. Sorry mods.

I was being facetious with Afrikaaner. I believe it's what they refer to the remnants of the Dutch immigrants in South Africa and the southern end of Africa.

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:42 PM
When I was officiating semi-pro more often they would play in one of the nicer, bigger high school stadiums around here. The problem was that their attendance was terrible. One of the main reasons for that was because it was such a poor atmosphere for a family. Without the crowd noise to cover it up you could here everybody calling each other that name (and others) throughout the stadium. I used to see people looking at each other after hearing it for a while and getting up and leaving with their kids. I'm all for penalizing that stuff. There's no place for it in sports.

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I was being facetious with Afrikaaner. I believe it's what they refer to the remnants of the Dutch immigrants in South Africa and the southern end of Africa.

My bad. I'm not quick enough to keep up with you.

Dzone
02-23-2014, 06:06 PM
So if Vasquez or Ramirez get called "wetbacks" its going to be 15 yards? Or does this rule just apply to african americans?
In Colorado, Same problems have come with the term "Mexicans" some Mexicans get pissed if they are called that. Then it went from Mexicans to "Chicano". They wanted to be called "Chicano". Then Chicano switched to Hispanic, they didnt want to be called Chicano anymore.. Now I think the PC way is "Hispanic Americans" Or is it "Latinos"? Im not sure why calling people from Mexico "mexicans" is so derogatory. Some dont like it, I know that.
I once called a guy Hispanic and He said "Im not Hispanic, Im SPANISH!!!!" LOL...
The term "wetbacks" is used a lot these days. You hear it a lot around here.
So is there a proper term for people from south of the border?

spikerman
02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure how it would work, but my guess would be that if the official deems it to be offensive and he hears it himself it'll be a foul.

Dzone
02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure how it would work, but my guess would be that if the official deems it to be offensive and he hears it himself it'll be a foul.

NFL refs will have to be tested on their knowledge of racial slurs. There are a lot of them. I wonder if Dago will be on the list?

spikerman
02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
NFL refs will have to be tested on their knowledge of racial slurs. There are a lot of them. I wonder if Dago will be on the list?

That would be a pretty funny test.

luckyseven
02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
It will be fun if luckyseven spends a lot of time in P&R.
sorry have no clue on what P&R is..
unless it is about football and mostly Bronco footbal not sure that I would.

Dzone
02-23-2014, 06:39 PM
sorry have no clue on what P&R is..
unless it is about football and mostly Bronco footbal not sure that I would.
It is Politics and Religion forum. Not everyone sees those forums iirc. Like when Von Miller got suspended, it was walking a fine line because pot is a political issue and people have STRONG feelings about pot on this board. Some dont want it talked about in a football forum. I can understand where they are coming from. I brought up the NFL and pot on the day Von got suspended and was told to take it to the P&R section. Thats fine. But the NFL and pot was talked about by Goddell this season so it is a football issue. Now it is, anyway. But the Sam gay situation is now being put in the politics forum. Thats fine. As long as you can go there and talk about things in a civilized manner, I dont care

luckyseven
02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
It is Politics and Religion forum. Not everyone sees those forums iirc. Like when Von Miller got suspended, it was walking a fine line because pot is a political issue and people have STRONG feelings about pot on this board. Some dont want it talked about in a football forum. I can understand where they are coming from. I brought up the NFL and pot on the day Von got suspended and was told to take it to the P&R section. Thats fine. But the NFL and pot was talked about by Goddell this season so it is a football issue. Now it is, anyway. But the Sam gay situation is now being put in the politics forum. Thats fine. As long as you can go there and talk about things in a civilized manner, I dont care

then I'm really not interested in it unless it is about broncos. I try not to talk about either subject with people I'm not related to or my pastor.

Dzone
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
then I'm really not interested in it unless it is about broncos. I try not to talk about either subject with people I'm not related to or my pastor.
lol..right on...No problem with broncos only...your pastor should be a member here too

Runamok
02-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Exactly. In this day and age, there can't be many whites using that epithet. Most likely the black players themselves who use it to trash talk their bros. Never understood how anyone could explain away that usage, but rail on any non-black who used it.

Well, wtf......Goody Goodell has made strides in taking the physicality outta the game, and now he will prolly agree to regulate the trash talk.

Runamok
02-23-2014, 07:28 PM
That would be a pretty funny test.

Dago, Guinea, Wop, Spick, Greaser, Mick, Pollock, Slope, Slant-Eye, Jap, Limey and Frog.

Runamok
02-23-2014, 07:30 PM

Great! Just what we need. More subjectivity in calls from the astute NFL officiating corp.

luckyseven
02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
lol..right on...No problem with broncos only...your pastor should be a member here too

not a football fan, as he is usually busy on Sundays.

spikerman
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Great! Just what we need. More subjectivity in calls from the astute NFL officiating corp.

Those guys are the best in the world at what they do.

Dzone
02-23-2014, 07:49 PM
not a football fan, as he is usually busy on Sundays.
Very wise...I keep telling myself I am one day going to give up football for more contributory activities

OrangeHoof
02-23-2014, 08:03 PM
If we're going to expand the nature of penalties, I want to see more referee signals like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw

The refs may need to watch this training video to keep up with racial slurs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2b21yAeEpQ

SR
02-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Why teach your kids when you can get offended?

I'm all mixed up now

SR
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Funny, you sure seemed to not have any problems "educating" us on black vs white racism earlier in the thread.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
As the NFL's competition committee soon considers a rule that would penalize players for using the N-word on the field, one veteran believes it will be difficult for the league to police the use of the racial slur.

"I think it's going to be really tough to legislate this rule, to find a way to penalize everyone who uses this word," Ryan Clark, a Pittsburgh Steelers safety who's spent 12 years in the league, told ESPN's Bob Ley during an "Outside The Lines" special report. "And it's not going to be white players using it toward black players. Most of the time you hear it, it's black players using the word."

rest - http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10509188/ryan-clark-pittsburgh-steelers-says-tough-police-use-n-word

OrangeHoof
02-23-2014, 11:41 PM
These guys all wear helmets and jump into piles before 70,000 people. How will the refs know with certainty who is making the slur except those who are isolated from the others or those whose lips they could see moving?

Belichick will be teaching his players ventriloquism.

bcbronc
02-24-2014, 04:16 AM
Exactly. In this day and age, there can't be many whites using that epithet. Most likely the black players themselves who use it to trash talk their bros. Never understood how anyone could explain away that usage, but rail on any non-black who used it.

Never understood how anyone had difficulties figuring this out.

sneakers
02-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Sounds good, but this could end up being a slippery slope

Northman
02-24-2014, 08:27 AM
And it's not going to be white players using it toward black players. Most of the time you hear it, it's black players using the word."

Yeeeeep.

spikerman
02-24-2014, 05:51 PM
These guys all wear helmets and jump into piles before 70,000 people. How will the refs know with certainty who is making the slur except those who are isolated from the others or those whose lips they could see moving?

Belichick will be teaching his players ventriloquism.

When I've heard it it's usually just before or just after the play when they're jawing. It's usually pretty easy to tell who's saying it. Of course, I've never done a game in front of 70,000 people.

Dapper Dan
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Sounds good, but this could end up being a slippery slope

They're already allowing women to referee. How much worse could it be?

Runamok
02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Never understood how anyone had difficulties figuring this out.

Are you suggesting that any instance of a white using that term is intended as a hateful slur, and could never be just a playful euphemism for a person of color?

I happen to think that the term should never be used, by anybody, in any context. If people are going to judge it a slur for one person, even tho they don't know the context, then it should be considered a slur in every case. In fact i'll go so far as to say it is even more offensive when coming from a black person, as it shows ignorance and insensitivity to history.

Same as the c-word. Not one bit less offensive when uttered by a female. So, being a member of the class shouldn't entitle you to a free pass, in my humble opinion.

Runamok
02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Those guys are the best in the world at what they do.

Spike, not trying to diss your job or anything, but those guys have struggled mightily with the PI rules in today's game....way too much subjectivity and judgment left to them.

But, youre prolly right, they are the best in the world at it.

spikerman
02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Spike, not trying to diss your job or anything, but those guys have struggled mightily with the PI rules in today's game....way too much subjectivity and judgment left to them.

But, youre prolly right, they are the best in the world at it.

Sorry, don't misunderstand; I'm all for criticizing officials when they deserve it. I know that they make mistakes every game. The problem is that many of the rules are "subjective." It's such a difficult job. I used to give the officials hell too, but man is it tough. I can't even imagine how difficult it is at the speed they have to deal with. I wasn't trying to call you out. Just pointing out that even the best struggle at times.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 03:04 PM
from article:

"I don't know how they're going to [enforce] it. That's going to be a tough thing," Bosh said. "It's your word against his word. I think that can kind of get tricky.

"Well, what if I say this? There are a bunch of other [offensive] things I could say and not get a penalty. I think if we're going to bring one thing in, I think we've got to put them all in the hat. And I think that'll work out [better]."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/10521666/chris-bosh-miami-heat-says-nba-nfl-ban-use-all-slurs

I agree with Bosh

CrazyHorse
02-27-2014, 03:17 AM
Will players get fined when they refer to the opposing team as "Redskins"?

OrangeHoof
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Thankfully, Wikipedia has a list of racial slurs to reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Who knew "cheesehead" was a slur? Looks like we have a lot of bigoted Packer fans already. Who knew????