PDA

View Full Version : Elway from the Combine

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2014, 05:43 PM
John Elway talks to the press Friday afternoon at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-from-the-Combine/aeb4c2b7-8fa3-4fc3-ab55-cf06c81fa602

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Following not included in video:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 43m

And one more -- all soon on http://ESPN.com -- Elway on #Broncos UFRs -- "I think they have to hit the market, the market sets those'

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 45m

Also Elway said Manning will have end-of-season neck exam neck week in Denver -- "He should be fine.''

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 46m

More Elway: Will also sit down with Champ Bailey in coming weeks to see what Bailey's plans are for '14..

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 47m

#Broncos VP/GM John Elway said he'll meet with John Fox's agent in coming days at combine about a new deal ''I want to get him done.''

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Denver Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway has a pretty full day planner in his coming days.

As the Broncos try to turn the page on the 43-8 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII and re-set themselves in order to make another run to the title game, Elway will move ahead with some of the bigger items on the Broncos' to-do list.

Elway will meet with the agent for Broncos head coach John Fox -- Bob LaMonte -- at the combine in the coming days. Fox, who is 34-14 in regular season games with three AFC West titles and a Super Bowl trip, is set to enter the final year of his original four-year deal with the Broncos in 2011.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10498056/denver-broncos-gm-john-elway-meet-john-fox-agent-coming-days

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
INDIANAPOLIS —Understand, the Broncos have money.

The NFL's salary cap limits how much money the Broncos can spend. Salary cap constraints might force some of the Broncos' better players off the roster.

But if spending two dollars means they'll win when one dollar means winning is iffy, the Broncos have demonstrated signs they'll spend the two dollars.

Already, the Broncos have given football operations boss John Elway a new 4-year contract while adding "general manager" to his title. They have retained defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio on a new 2-year contract.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25202209/john-elway-denver-broncos-money-2014-offseason

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2014, 06:23 PM
from same article

The Broncos also have enough money to where they won't have to ask quarterback Peyton Manning to restructure. Manning will be paid a $20 million salary in 2014 once he passes his physical on his neck. The salary cap, or team's payroll last year was $123 million and there are reports it will be raised to $130 million for 2014.

"I think we'll be fine," Elway said. "I don't think he would have any problem if we needed to find some cap room that he wouldn't help us out."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25202209/john-elway-denver-broncos-money-2014-offseason

Ravage!!!
02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
from same article

I'd sure like to see Manning do that. Lets hope that Elway has had this conversation and is positive that Manning would be willing to restructure. That would be a nice little boost this team could need to get back.

DenBronx
02-21-2014, 07:10 PM
More Elway: Will also sit down with Champ Bailey in coming weeks to see what Bailey's plans are for '14..

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 47m

Hmmm. Bet it goes something like this.

"Hey Champ your contracts out of whack based upon the results. Either retire or come back for a few mill to play nickle."

chazoe60
02-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Hmmm. Bet it goes something like this.

"Hey Champ your contracts out of whack based upon the results. Either retire or come back for a few mill to play nickle."
Bet it doesn't.

dogfish
02-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Bet it doesn't.

stay away from vegas. . . :laugh:

chazoe60
02-21-2014, 10:57 PM
stay away from vegas. . . :laugh:

What I'm saying is JE will have a little more tact than that.

dogfish
02-22-2014, 12:54 AM
What I'm saying is JE will have a little more tact than that.

well, sure, i would hope. . .

the message will be the same at the end of the day, though, no matter how politically it's phrased. . . it's cool, champ already gets it-- he's a smart pro, he knows what time it is. . . we'll see how he decides to deal with it, but i have no concerns that it won't be handled professionally and amicably by both parties. . . i can't see it getting contentious, however it goes. . . it really is nice to have an actual grown-up front office again. . . minus the dipshits that don't know how to call a cab. . . elway needs to keep those fools in line this off-season, we don't need any more suspensions and that kind of crap. . . building a champion is serious effin' business!

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
well, sure, i would hope. . .

the message will be the same at the end of the day, though, no matter how politically it's phrased. . . it's cool, champ already gets it-- he's a smart pro, he knows what time it is. . . we'll see how he decides to deal with it, but i have no concerns that it won't be handled professionally and amicably by both parties. . . i can't see it getting contentious, however it goes. . . it really is nice to have an actual grown-up front office again. . . minus the dipshits that don't know how to call a cab. . . elway needs to keep those fools in line this off-season, we don't need any more suspensions and that kind of crap. . . building a champion is serious effin' business!

Champ has to know his reaction time as well as speed has diminished a bit. His mentor at Washington Greene played till he was 42 IIRC but only as backup, Nickle and elder statesman, I suspect he is to proud not to step back and do the same thing.

I've always thought he would make the perfect free safety, someone that can face the QB read his eyes and play centerfield knowing he still has enough speed to beat the ball to the deeper recievers. His passes he has defensed in the past show he has those skills, he can certainly pick them with the best of them and he is not afraid to make a tackle.
Those are all the skills that go with FS. That would certainly fill a big hole for the foreseeable future and allow us the chance to draft a replacement down the line a bit.

Simple Jaded
02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
I think there's a misconception about restructuring Manning's contract, all you're doing is moving cap hits, I don't know why Manning would care one way or the other.

Now, pay cut, on the other hand? Not happening, sure we can dream about it, stranger things have happened, but the Broncos wouldn't even dare to ask.

sneakers
02-23-2014, 06:30 AM
What the hell is the Combine?

LTC Pain
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
What the hell is the Combine?

You know that thing that harvests corn and wheat fields :elefant: