PDA

View Full Version : Mayock on Deep Draft, Broncos Options

Denver Native (Carol)
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The 2014 NFL Scouting Combine is underway.

Draft prospects -- along with NFL head coaches and general managers -- began meeting the media Thursday morning, marking the beginning of an important week for the college players.

And as far as NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock is concerned, this year's prospects make for one of the deepest drafts of the past decade.

"From my perspective, this is the deepest and best draft class I've seen in probably 10 years," Mayock said on a conference call. "That's been reinforced by most of the general managers and scouts I've talked to throughout the league. I had one GM tell me the other day that having a top-20 pick this year is very similar to having a top‑10 pick last year. So I think there's more depth. I think there are certain positions that are stacked this year and you can get a quality player through three or four rounds."

One of those positions, Mayock said, is wide receiver. He called it "the best wide-receiver draft I've seen in years."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Mayock-on-Deep-Draft-Broncos-Options/a4f6f895-21c1-46ae-aa91-fab08182cbde

G_Money
02-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Mayock is still the best talking head draftnik. Even when I disagree with him I see why he believes what he does. I think the first is early for Borland, but I could see us going there in the second. That's the problem with picking next-to-last though - you're basically in the next round already. There are several guys we might wanna look at "a little early" rather than seeing them come off the board in the middle of the next round.

~G

LawDog
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM
G, if our top choice falls into this scenario I see them dropping a few spots into the top half of the 2nd and picking up another late 3rd early 4th pick.

Buff
02-20-2014, 12:37 PM
If we take a WR in the first round I will personally start the riots in LoDo.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 02:32 PM
G, if our top choice falls into this scenario I see them dropping a few spots into the top half of the 2nd and picking up another late 3rd early 4th pick.

As long as we can pick up a 3rd/4th that would be just fine with me. I remember dropping back twice and picking up nearly nothing in net asset returns (thanks Hillman/Oz) but hopefully draft movement will be more rewarding if it comes to that.

And Buff, the good thing about it being a deeper WR draft is that we don't HAVE to draft one early. I'd like somebody like Abbrederis in the 3rd-ish, maybe Moncrief if he runs slow. There are gonna be wides on the second or even third day who are gets. That should be fine. As for the CB Fuller, I'd love him to run slow. I think there are a couple corners in the draft who could run slow times and be a huge boon for us.

But I still want a damn OL in the first two rounds. Like the man says, there's some OL talent and getting a RT that could pass-protect and allow Franklin to move to OG would be great twice-over.

~G