PDA

View Full Version : Broncos prepare to address needs in upcoming NFL draft

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
In the days leading up to the Super Bowl, the Broncos knew the Seattle Seahawks were the younger team.

A few minutes into the game, the Broncos discovered the Seahawks were also decidedly better.

It has been said the NFL is a young man's game, and the Broncos should need no more convincing. To get better for the 2014 season, they'll have to get younger.

Step 1 to the youth movement begins this week with the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, where 335 prospects are available for measurements, interviews and physical demonstration.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25175895/broncos-prepare-address-needs-upcoming-nfl-draft

OrangeHoof
02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
It would be great to use the #31 pick to solve four needs but that isn't going to happen.

broncohead
02-19-2014, 02:11 PM
It would be great to use the #31 pick to solve four needs but that isn't going to happen.

why not?

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Pretty sure Elway will take the best player on the board regardless of position. IF it happens to be a weaker spot on the roster all the better, we are at the point in building the team that we can afford to do that. Much like Shanahan took Al Wilson way back even though LB was hardly a weak spot, he wound up a pretty good player.

This team has a few weak spots but no glaring sink holes.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure Elway will take the best player on the board regardless of position. IF it happens to be a weaker spot on the roster all the better, we are at the point in building the team that we can afford to do that. Much like Shanahan took Al Wilson way back even though LB was hardly a weak spot, he wound up a pretty good player.

This team has a few weak spots but no glaring sink holes.

Not true. He has traded back when his guys wernt on the board in previous drafts. I don't think he works that way. There were better players overall like Eddie Lacy when Sly Williams was taken yet he took it to fill the exact need. He fills the bigger need first.

Ziggy
02-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Not true. He has traded back when his guys wernt on the board in previous drafts. I don't think he works that way. There were better players overall like Eddie Lacy when Sly Williams was taken yet he took it to fill the exact need. He fills the bigger need first.

DT wasn't a bigger need than RB. No one knew that Moreno would have a break out year, and Hillman had proven nothing. If anything, you could argue that RB was a far bigger need. I think Elway just thought that Sly was a better player than Lacy, and was surprised that he had dropped that far in the draft.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
If he really wanted Lacy, he had 2 chances to get him

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 04:41 PM

in the past we had BIG holes to fill, now not so much. I do not believe he will take the 3-4th best player at some fans perceived position of need (in this case safety). As far as Lacy was concerned we had our RB needs filled and only after he went for what they called a steal at the time Sly did they pick up an additional RB later in the draft.

As I said in my post
Elway will take the best player on the board regardless of position. IF it happens to be a weaker spot on the roster all the better, also said we have a pretty solid base of the team and believe we are at a point where we can take BPA.

Yes he has traded back in the past and he might do it again, for the simple reason the BPA was not worth the place we were drafting in.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
DT wasn't a bigger need than RB. No one knew that Moreno would have a break out year, and Hillman had proven nothing. If anything, you could argue that RB was a far bigger need. I think Elway just thought that Sly was a better player than Lacy, and was surprised that he had dropped that far in the draft.

you have valid points about RB although until moreno was hurt in the playoffs the year before he was carrying the ball very effectively, so pretty sure they knew what they had. they did pick up a RB later in the draft they seemed to be very happy with until he dropped the ball a couple of times in Pre-season and early season games..
I also remember they were very surprised that Williams dropped to them.

Northman
02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
I think Ball will be fine. I have no issue there. This has to be a defensive heavy draft for us as that is our weakest area.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 04:51 PM
I think Ball will be fine. I have no issue there. This has to be a defensive heavy draft for us as that is our weakest area.

Between Ball and Anderson with some COP Hillman thrown in I think we are pretty set at RB, but then if a RB pops up as BPA I think John would call the name.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Its MUCH easier to find RBs than any other position.

G_Money
02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Lacy couldn't play in Manning's system. It's really just that simple, and we didn't need to spend a first round pick to get a RB. If we get a RB in this draft I think we can get one later who has a bit of heft to him and can passblock (something Lacy is pretty bad at). Lorenzo Taliaferro works for me on day 3. Ball, Anderson, Hillman and Taliaferro could be just fine. With meaner OL up front it's not all on the RB's shoulders anyway.

And Sly was showing near the end of the year he was getting the hang of things. It takes a couple of years for DL to get decent. Doesn't mean you never draft em, especially since most of the ones that work out are first rounders. Still hoping Wolfe can come back strong - he's a good rotational player too when he's not getting his neck broken.

~G

OrangeHoof
02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
A case could be made that our first choice should be anyone other than a QB, P or PK so they ought to be able to spin almost any selection as the BPA Elway wanted.

Magnificent Seven
02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Elway needs to focus on secondary. Draft a stud CB.

Northman
02-19-2014, 07:41 PM
I think we need a QB in the first, to compete with Manning and Oz.

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

I think Dysert should be starting over the both of them!

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Lacy couldn't play in Manning's system. It's really just that simple, and we didn't need to spend a first round pick to get a RB. If we get a RB in this draft I think we can get one later who has a bit of heft to him and can passblock (something Lacy is pretty bad at). Lorenzo Taliaferro works for me on day 3. Ball, Anderson, Hillman and Taliaferro could be just fine. With meaner OL up front it's not all on the RB's shoulders anyway.

And Sly was showing near the end of the year he was getting the hang of things. It takes a couple of years for DL to get decent. Doesn't mean you never draft em, especially since most of the ones that work out are first rounders. Still hoping Wolfe can come back strong - he's a good rotational player too when he's not getting his neck broken.

~G

Why waste the pick On a RB when you are going be a pass first offense? Why fans do not get that is beyond me..
As for Williams they did not need to play him till later in the year if at all had Wolfe been healthy. He was being groomed for the next few years. We all know that DTs in particular unless they are top ten choices are normally projects, that takes a couple of years to get it.

G_Money
02-19-2014, 10:01 PM
We need the OL to be an uncrossable monolith. If Manning is the key to the whole thing (and he is) then the OL has to be impenetrable. I'd rather draft an OL in the first than a CB or S, thought if Dennard is still there somehow, some way, I can see going for the corner.

But I want to make the OL a beast. Relying on Manning's quick release and defensive assessment to carry the day can't always work, and backfired horribly in the Super Bowl. Give Manning all the seconds he needs, carve huge holes in the D for the running game, then see what happens.

~G

NightTerror218
02-20-2014, 12:04 AM
I think at the end of the season it showed how big of a need the MLB was. The last 4 games they switched up the MLB and LB group to get a good fit. Some can be argued some of that was because of Miller getting injured but it was obvious that they were not settled and needed a change.

I do think it will be addressed at some point t in rounds 1-3 unless all picks are gone. Then a vet with upside could be signed if left in FA.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 01:13 AM
I'd rather go for a vet at MLB if we can. I want the leadership that tends to go with the position to be vet leadership. We don't have time for a rook to grow into it, and we're gonna lose Woodyard who is our bajillion time team captain. Gotta get some leadership on D. If we add somebody like Delmas at S, he can handle it, and maybe then we can go with a rookie in the middle of the defense, but otherwise I'd like to get a veteran.

The problem with a draft pick is that most of the available guys can't be three-down linebackers in all likelihood. Skov, Bullough, Borland... those dudes just aren't all that fast, and since we're losing Woodyard and his ability to handle coverages next to Trevathan, I don't know that we can have a successful 2-down MLB type with an early pick. I still have Skov on my list, don't get me wrong - but unless we get Moore back healthy AND add a good safety, I don't think we have the coverage ability to match up with some of the looks we'll get with an available MLB.

~G

OrangeHoof
02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Excellent point but I will add that MLBs are rarely three-down players anymore. They get replaced in nickel and dime packages. This also explains why most ILBs are not considered high draft value anymore, much like fullbacks on offense. You want MLBs primarily to stuff the run and show a nose for the football. Coverage is a secondary skill.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Coverage is a secondary skill... until you play a team that will throw on first down or has multiple TEs.

But I agree, it's very hard to get a MLB who can do everything required to stay on the field for all three downs. I'm okay with getting a thumper inside, I just don't want to draft a thumper inside, who is also required to be our defensive leader, who also needs to cover because we don't have big enough corners or good enough safeties to pull off a full dime...

That guy isn't likely to be in the draft at our position. Smallwood is interesting, but I expect him to play outside. I don't think his instincts or his tackling are quite up to snuff for the middle of a 4-3. Most of the linebackers look like 3-4 guys though, not the anchors of a 4-3. I wish Borlard were a little longer and Skov was a little faster, but I wouldn't hate getting a player like that for sure.

But we can get a two-down thumper with pro experience if we want him, or try for a 3-down guy like Beason, or Daryl Smith (who played for Del Rio in J-Ville). As always it depends how much we have to spend obviously.

~G

Lancane
02-20-2014, 12:37 PM
G, problem is that Jon Beason and the Giants are in contract discussions - they don't plan to let him go. And Daryl Smith is 32 years old I believe, while Denver is emphasizing on getting better while getting younger. Smith wouldn't be a bad signing in all honesty, but he'd be a stop gap in Denver, he'd probably be looking at a two-year deal and Denver would still have to draft an eventual successor. And why pay Smith top dollar as a stop gap when they could re-sign Paris Lenon for much less to do much the same? Now if Denver was looking at the likes of Donald Butler, Perry Riley and so forth, then it would minimize the need to address the position and they could simply target a backup in free agency, allow one of the younger linebackers on the roster to lineup behind them as well or go with an UDFA.

We're no longer in contention, that is my opinion at least and so Denver has to make moves to get back to a state of contention. If Denver breaks the .500 mark in 2014 then Manning deserves the credit to be quite frank, unless the Broncos can make the necessary changes to make them contenders again. Re-signing DRC and adding Delmas or Clemons and either Butler or Riley, or even going after a guard like Asamoah or Schwartz would help. Depleting needs going into the draft only allows the Broncos to build the depth that will be the future of this team. I don't expect them to sign a plethora of free agents; but a combination of any of the above three would be a successful free agency in my book.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Has Manning EVER not had a team over 500 since his rookie season? How is it that where are we going to get so bad that we drop from 13 (twice in a row) wins and a Super Bowl visit, to just 8 victories??

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Has Manning EVER not had a team over 500 since his rookie season? How is it that where are we going to get so bad that we drop from 13 (twice in a row) wins and a Super Bowl visit, to just 8 victories??

getting five players back on d and an all pro LT will help quite a bit.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
We're no longer in contention, that is my opinion at least and so Denver has to make moves to get back to a state of contention. If Denver breaks the .500 mark in 2014 then Manning deserves the credit to be quite frank, unless the Broncos can make the necessary changes to make them contenders again.

Okay, that's where we differ. Any team with Manning on it is a contender, and the talent we're losing to FA this year is not irreplaceable. Moreno and Decker can be replaced relatively easily, IMO - Manning has a habit of minting gold-plated WRs anyway. And on defense, it depends how well our injured guys come back. If Wolfe, Moore, Von, Harris and Big Vick are all back strong in October, we're good. If they're not, we'll struggle. I'd like to add Delmas and keep DRC also, and get some talent in the draft to help out the defense, but we kinda have to be all-in for next year, don't we? Manning only has a year or two left, Von, Harris, and both Thomases are FAs after the season...

I'd be gearing up for a last Super Bowl run with Manning and trying to find the players and leaders to make that happen while getting good young players where we can, not planning on a .500 season in a division and conference with no true standout that isn't us.

~G

G_Money
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Look, my draft, pre-FA, would go something like:

1 and 2: RT and CB in some order. I want the corner because Harris might not make it back and Kayvon is still working on it. I'm still assuming we get DRC back but there are lots of guys to cover. The RT is necessary to help fill the guard position (by moving Franklin to LG to fill Beadles's spot) as well as provide insurance against having to play Clark that much at LT if Clady's foot isn't right. Gotta keep Manning upright at all costs, and it's a pretty deep draft for OTs.

3 and 4: WR and MLB. Bullough's stock took a hit, Skov and Borland might drop to this level... there are some heavy hitters in the middle that might not be three-downers but who could do the Lemon role better while we find out what kind of pros they might be. And the WR draft is deep - somebody good is gonna fall (multiple somebodies really) and this helps address an issue for now (replacing Decker) and for the future in case we somehow lose DT after next year too.

5-7: Blocking TE of any weight who can catch (there are several in this draft, though we might need an extra 3rd or 4th to snag one we really like, so maybe a draft-day trade-back in the first) because all our non-JT tight ends failed to show up when it mattered, and JT can't block worth a damn. Another trench dude, OL or DL (backup center?). Maybe a pass-blocking RB with some weight to him to give us 3 sizes of runner.

We can address holes on offense and defense, but if we signed your suggestions of Delmas and DRC, then added 3 or 4 starters in the draft, how bad could it be? Just not seeing .500, I guess, unless we fall flat both in the draft and FA. We do need a defensive leader or two for sure.

~G

DenBronx
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Okay, that's where we differ. Any team with Manning on it is a contender, and the talent we're losing to FA this year is not irreplaceable. Moreno and Decker can be replaced relatively easily, IMO - Manning has a habit of minting gold-plated WRs anyway. And on defense, it depends how well our injured guys come back. If Wolfe, Moore, Von, Harris and Big Vick are all back strong in October, we're good. If they're not, we'll struggle. I'd like to add Delmas and keep DRC also, and get some talent in the draft to help out the defense, but we kinda have to be all-in for next year, don't we? Manning only has a year or two left, Von, Harris, and both Thomases are FAs after the season...

I'd be gearing up for a last Super Bowl run with Manning and trying to find the players and leaders to make that happen while getting good young players where we can, not planning on a .500 season in a division and conference with no true standout that isn't us.

~G

Whatever we have to do we must do it in these next 2-3 years with Manning. Max the cap out I don't care, just do it. Which is why I don't even mind seeing them franchise DRC if a deal can't get done because we must have him next year. But the cap is expected to increase up to 130 after next year. Thats 4 mill more a year we could spend and signing guys long term makes most sense. Harris is also a FA. No one is talking about Harris and if we are going to work out a contract with him. Having those two together along with capable safeties like Delmas makes our secondary look alot better.

Wolfe and Moore are still really big question marks for next year. Right now we are just playing the waiting game but having Wolfe back would help alot because I think it's possible we let Ayers walk if the money isnt right. Leaves the draft to take a solid DE early if needed to fill the void of Ayers if that happenes.

Moreno can be replaced easier than Decker. But I wouldnt lose it if we are not able to keep Decker for 3 reasons. #1 This years draft is maybe one of the deepest for WRs in a long long time. #2 There are a ton of options for FA WRs this year that would come less than half the price. #3 Manning is going to make ANY WR look good. So if Decker wants to chase money then it's no loss to us because were we are lacking most is physicality on the defensive side of the ball.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 03:00 PM
A functional Harris playing with DRC, with Delmas at safety, Von back at full strength, a thumper in the middle and a physical corner from the draft helping to mug folks would work just fine for me. I hate that we had so many massive injuries on defense, and the ACLs to Harris and Von are the most concerning to me (though I think we missed Wolfe and Vick a lot).

Harris is an RFA, btw, so we're fine there. We're not gonna make him a long term offer, he's just gonna take his one year contract and be a UFA after this coming season. He'll still be on the team.

~G

DenBronx
02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
A functional Harris playing with DRC, with Delmas at safety, Von back at full strength, a thumper in the middle and a physical corner from the draft helping to mug folks would work just fine for me. I hate that we had so many massive injuries on defense, and the ACLs to Harris and Von are the most concerning to me (though I think we missed Wolfe and Vick a lot).

Harris is an RFA, btw, so we're fine there. We're not gonna make him a long term offer, he's just gonna take his one year contract and be a UFA after this coming season. He'll still be on the team.

~G

So if Harris is a RFA does that mean a team can offer a 2nd round pick for him?

G_Money
02-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Yep. :) I'm positive we'd make him a second round tender.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
So if Harris is a RFA does that mean a team can offer a 2nd round pick for him?

We can also match any offer.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Nobody's gonna make an unbeatable offer for him with a bum leg, and I can't see him accepting a bad multi-year deal. He wants the year to prove himself before a big contract too. The only reason for him not to be back is if we think his lower appendage is about to fall off lego-style. His ACL tear was only partial, he had the surgery and should be good to go in training camp. We've got him for one more year, at minimum.

~G

NightTerror218
02-20-2014, 07:23 PM
I live how people assume Franklin can play guard and champ can play safety.

Moving to a new position does not always work out. He was projected and drafted as a tackle. I know he played some in college and he had a bad game in super bowl like the rest of the o line. I think it is scarier to me to draft a RT and not know if he will out play franklin. Rather draft a guard.

And what about using Kuper at guard he is still on the roster and if he is healthy and back to form I would not mind clady kuper Manny Vasquez franklin as OL

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Moving to a new position does not always work out. He was projected and drafted as a tackle. I know he played some in college and he had a bad game in super bowl like the rest of the o line. I think it is scarier to me to draft a RT and not know if he will out play franklin. Rather draft a guard.

And what about using Kurt at guard he is still on roster and if he is healthy and pk as back to form I would not mind classy uper Manny Vasquez franklin

Homey, would you please try that last sentence again, but in English this time? :laugh:

NightTerror218
02-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Homey, would you please try that last sentence again, but in English this time? :laugh:

Lol sorry fixed. Damn auto correct pos phone

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2014, 08:46 PM

And what about using Kuper at guard he is still on the roster and if he is healthy and back to form I would not mind clady kuper Manny Vasquez franklin as OL

That's what I was hoping for, but he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. It makes me wonder if his ankle is still a little messed up. He was really good a couple of years ago.

luckyseven
02-20-2014, 09:30 PM

kuper has an almost 6 million cap value this coming year. it was well known he was only kept on the roster last year after it was cheaper (1.8mil) to keep him rather than cut him with the redone contract for last year. when he is cut we save 4.1 mil, so consider him gone. he was not that great as a pass protect guy early in his career, and a good run blocker in zone blocking.
sad to remember the day when he was our best player on the OL.

dogfish
02-21-2014, 12:11 AM
yep. . . harris is back, kuper is gone. . . NT, we know franklin can play guard because he played there in college. . .

NightTerror218
02-21-2014, 08:22 PM
yep. . . harris is back, kuper is gone. . . NT, we know franklin can play guard because he played there in college. . .

I was trying to find out how much be played there but had no luck. It is the Manny type of played the position because someone was injured or was he actually good at that position? I could not find any info other then he played guard and tackle.

dogfish
02-21-2014, 09:26 PM
I was trying to find out how much be played there but had no luck. It is the Manny type of played the position because someone was injured or was he actually good at that position? I could not find any info other then he played guard and tackle.

nah, he played his first three years at guard before switching to tackle as a senior. . . i don't know the exact details-- he was probably the best overall OL they had at that point, and that guy typically plays left tackle on a college squad. . .

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2543

Lancane
02-23-2014, 04:27 PM
nah, he played his first three years at guard before switching to tackle as a senior. . . i don't know the exact details-- he was probably the best overall OL they had at that point, and that guy typically plays left tackle on a college squad. . .

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2543

I read that he split time between the positions, never read that he had manned the inside more and was better graded inside till now. I wonder why Denver drafted him as a tackle instead of placing him inside over the likes of Beadles when it sounds like it was a better fit. I remember the Broncos saying that "They love his athletic ability and mobility" and much has been made about that, but that report sort of counters what we've heard in that regard.

dogfish
02-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I read that he split time between the positions, never read that he had manned the inside more and was better graded inside till now. I wonder why Denver drafted him as a tackle instead of placing him inside over the likes of Beadles when it sounds like it was a better fit. I remember the Broncos saying that "They love his athletic ability and mobility" and much has been made about that, but that report sort of counters what we've heard in that regard.

well, it's just an internet blurb, so take it for what it's worth. . . :laugh: i just posted that link as a bit of documentation for NT. . . i have no idea whether real NFL scouts graded franklin better inside or out. . . personally, i don't really love him at tackle, but i don't think we'll look to replace him there this year. . . i think more likely we leave the line intact other than beadles, with chris clarke potentially competing with a mid-to-late round pick and possibly philip blake, maybe an inexpensive younger journeyman type. . . i think we'll patch it, and figure out the long-term plan at ORT next off-season. . . we'll see how the draft plays out-- i certainly wouldn't be shocked if we did draft an OT if the right guy falls, but i expect us to draft mostly D. . .

Lancane
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
well, it's just an internet blurb, so take it for what it's worth. . . :laugh: i just posted that link as a bit of documentation for NT. . . i have no idea whether real NFL scouts graded franklin better inside or out. . . personally, i don't really love him at tackle, but i don't think we'll look to replace him there this year. . . i think more likely we leave the line intact other than beadles, with chris clarke potentially competing with a mid-to-late round pick and possibly philip blake, maybe an inexpensive younger journeyman type. . . i think we'll patch it, and figure out the long-term plan at ORT next off-season. . . we'll see how the draft plays out-- i certainly wouldn't be shocked if we did draft an OT if the right guy falls, but i expect us to draft mostly D. . .

Sometimes the internet draftniks are dead on as well. Still and all, the reason I bring up the whole Beadles issue is that by the sound of that report they could have been switched. Beadles had time at tackle and some thought he'd be better at right tackle while some believe that Franklin would have been better inside and yet the Broncos never switched them and despite the reports that the Broncos thought about moving Franklin inside, Denver instead went out and signed Vasquez last off-season. The Broncos will figure it out, between Elway, Coach Gase, Coach Magazu and Consultant Gibbs, they'll figure it out.

As to if the draft will be defensively or offensively heavy for the Broncos, I still think that is up in the air and depends on what they get done in Free Agency. If they re-sign Rodgers-Cromartie, Harris and Carter (two of which are restricted) and re-sign Phillips as the NFLN earlier reported and also keep Ihenacho who is likewise restricted, then Denver could be going offensively heavy despite the defensive weakness. So far the Broncos are being linked to defensive free agents like Delmas and Smith, we'll have to see how it plays out. I'm not sure any of us are really going to guess the path of the draft for them until three or four weeks before it happens.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 07:52 AM

That's what I remember hearing. IIRC he played both tackle positions and guard but I'm not sure both guard positions.

BroncoNut
02-24-2014, 09:54 AM

I assume you are being sarcastic, but maybe not. but we do have Esert or whatever his/her name is

I have not really assessed the talent out there. I will review my college game notes. I look for winners outside of those projected to to go off the boards early. I'm by no means good with that, but that is one of my goals.

if this is an opinion on what positions we need to work on, I would agree with whoever (think it was you North) said we needed a stud corner and the rest should be defense. MLB, DE, Tackle, that's my take anyway. I'm not too concerned on offense going into next year. we need a defense that will get the offense out on the field. it was my opinion that most of the tools were there on the offensive side, maybe missed Clady, and I know we'll lose a Decker or a Mareno, but either should be relatively easy to fill. now I am going with the assumption that Peyton is returning healthy.