PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker: Not all about money

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Eric Decker says money won't be the only factor when it comes to his decision on whether to re-sign with the Denver Broncos.

"It's not all about the money for me. It's about going to work every day and having fun and enjoying my job," the veteran receiver said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Expected to be one of the top unrestricted free agents available when the market opens March 11, Decker thrived in the Broncos' record-setting offense led by Peyton Manning last season, catching 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns. He hauled in 85 passes for 1,064 yards and 13 scores in his first season with Manning in Denver.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10477379/eric-decker-says-money-only-factor-returns-denver-broncos

SR
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Yeah. We'll see.

Timmy!
02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
OK then...... how about 2 years, 12mil with most of it guaranteed? :notbloodylikely:

GEM
02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10477379/eric-decker-says-money-only-factor-returns-denver-broncos

There was also just an article out that said he'd love to stay in Denver, but would do what is best for his family...so he's doing the free agent speech. I'll just wait to see what his true intentions are on the day he signs whereever he signs.

GEM
02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/eric-decker-open-to-denver-return-but-will-do-right-by-his-family/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker indicated that while he would entertain discussions of a return with Denver, he will be guided in free agency by doing what is right for his family, according to the satellite radio network’s Twitter feed.

Shazam!
02-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I think 'Doing what's right for his family' would be not uprooting and staying put.

It's ALL about money.

Northman
02-18-2014, 04:05 PM
:popcorn:

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 04:29 PM
I think 'Doing what's right for his family' would be not uprooting and staying put.

It's ALL about money.

He doesn't have any kids, right? I'm pretty sure it's just he and his wife. So if she's cool with moving and he can make more elsewhere, I'm not sure how staying in Denver would be "doing what's right for his family".

Dreadnought
02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
He doesn't have any kids, right? I'm pretty sure it's just he and his wife. So if she's cool with moving and he can make more elsewhere, I'm not sure how staying in Denver would be "doing what's right for his family".

They just had a kid, and both he and his wife have expressed a preference for Denver as a home

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
They just had a kid, and both he and his wife have expressed a preference for Denver as a home

Ah, I wasn't aware. Well regardless, it's not like they have a school-aged kid that they are ripping away from his friends and classmates if they move. For all we know maybe they do really like Denver as a home, but would like another city even better. I just don't think it's for any of us to say what is or isn't best for his family.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:50 PM
straight cash, homie. . . he's gone. . .

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 04:51 PM
straight cash, homie. . . he's gone. . .

I feel the same way. It's easy to say "it's not about the money" until someone offers you a shit ton of money.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I feel the same way. It's easy to say "it's not about the money" until someone offers you a shit ton of money.

What would most of us do?

Northman
02-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Yep.

Sometimes just remaining in the same place is better than moving on. Not too mention he would still be close to winning a title here unless another contender signs him. I hope he stays.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 05:04 PM
We can talk about playing for a contender and staying in the home you know all we want. But if someone offered me 6 million to work for a damn good company where I live and another person offered me 10 million to move and work for a company that wasnt quite as good...

...buh-bye

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 05:07 PM

Don't think the baby has been born yet, but it should be getting close. Yes, both Eric and his wife are very active in Denver, and have stated in the past that this is where they want to live.

SR
02-18-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd live somewhere else for $10mil/yr no matter how badly I wanted to live in Denver.

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I'd live somewhere else for $10mil/yr no matter how badly I wanted to live in Denver.

It would have to be somewhere really shitty like Detroit or Cleveland for me to even think twice about it.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 05:11 PM

And he doesnt even have to do that. he can work and play somewhere else and still live in Denver. With 10 mil in my pocket, I can get an apartment where I work and my family can stay there when they want to.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 05:12 PM
It would have to be somewhere really shitty like Detroit or Cleveland for me to even think twice about it.

Detroit isnt so bad if you ignore the pictures the media always likes to show. Cleveland however...I have no answer for.

TXBRONC
02-18-2014, 05:48 PM
OK then...... how about 2 years, 12mil with most of it guaranteed? :notbloodylikely:

How about 4 years, 24 million with 18 million guaranteed?

spikerman
02-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Athlete: "It's not about the money."
Translation: "It's about the money."

whiteniko
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Is his reality TV show still on?

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep.

Sometimes just remaining in the same place is better than moving on. Not too mention he would still be close to winning a title here unless another contender signs him. I hope he stays.

Caldwell is just as good, have you not been paying attention?

Dreadnought
02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
We can talk about playing for a contender and staying in the home you know all we want. But if someone offered me 6 million to work for a damn good company where I live and another person offered me 10 million to move and work for a company that wasnt quite as good...

...buh-bye

I would take the opposite position 100% of the time, but that's me. Working for a good organization > more money every single time IMO. Again, just my opinion, and I am not really all that much motivated by money. Others vary.

SR
02-18-2014, 06:48 PM

No shit. Even then, for $10 mil the second thought wouldn't last long.

OrangeHoof
02-18-2014, 06:49 PM

They all say it isn't about the money before they sign with the highest bidder. Then they say they needed the money to take care of their family...

Ravage!!!
02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I would love for him to stay, and dont' blame hm for saying "its not ALL about the money." He's leaving the best position for himself in all situations. When talking about MILLIONS of dollars difference between one place and another, it's very hard to justify NOT taking the money.

As far as being best for his family, its BEST for his family to make as much money as possible when the irons are hot. Staying in the same home because of an unborn child when you could put MILLIONS more into the family trust that would support his children and grandchildren....that is doing best for the family no matter how many ways you spin in on a wheel.

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:35 PM

...buh-bye

Well not everyone sees it that way. Doom and Welker went elsewhere for less so it is not always about money for these guys. For low men on the totem poles like you and i yea maybe. But 6 mil isnt something to scoff at and if your comfortable living where you are and are happy on the team you are with than those are great things to want to hold on too.

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Of course you would.

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Caldwell is just as good, have you not been paying attention?

Lmao yea. A journeyman is a great #2. Bwshahahahahahahahaa

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Lmao yea. A journeyman is a great #2. Bwshahahahahahahahaa

Who exactly has said this?

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:41 PM
I would take the opposite position 100% of the time, but that's me. Working for a good organization > more money every single time IMO. Again, just my opinion, and I am not really all that much motivated by money. Others vary.

Exactly. It can be a catch 22 with taking more money. Everything has its pro's and con's but if your just in it for the money and care less about everything else than that's how some people roll. Im like you, 6 vs 10 isnt that much of a gap for me especially coming from where i come from where i live check to check. And if i was playing for a contender in Denver and a great organization it would be very hard for me to leave.

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Exactly. It can be a catch 22 with taking more money. Everything has its pro's and con's but if your just in it for the money and care less about everything else than that's how some people roll. Im like you, 6 vs 10 isnt that much of a gap for me especially coming from where i come from where i live check to check. And if i was playing for a contender in Denver and a great organization it would be very hard for me to leave.

4 million dollars is a shit ton of money I don't care who you are. Almost anyone would take 10 million compared to 6 unless it was just a major, major burden on the family.

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
4 million dollars is a shit ton of money I don't care who you are. Almost anyone would take 10 million compared to 6 unless it was just a major, major burden on the family.

Guess im just not anyone.

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Guess im just not anyone.

Note I said "almost" anyone. Good for you if you wouldn't, but I would assume you are in the vast, vast minority.

SR
02-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Of course you would.

Shit, for $10mil/yr I would live in Kandahar.

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Also, it's really easy so say you would settle for 6 million and not go for 10 when you are living paycheck to paycheck. You aren't exactly in a position to be greedy. But when you have the skillset of an NFL player and the potential to almost double your earning potential, it's pretty hard to just turn that opportunity down. Especially when you are in the position that any play could be your last and a team could cut you at any moment. Extremely wealthy people don't become that way by just settling for 6 million when they could get 10.

SR
02-18-2014, 07:50 PM

The difference in $6mil versus $10mil is two-thirds. That's a boat load of money.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Shit, for $10mil/yr I would live in Kandahar.

pfft! davii would live there for fun. . . :coffee:

SR
02-18-2014, 07:51 PM
pfft! davii would live there for fun. . . :coffee:

Marine. I'm in the Air Force. It's a different life. ;)

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 07:53 PM
The difference in $6mil versus $10mil is two-thirds. That's a boat load of money.

Not to mention the fact that you are extrapolating over a 4-5 year deal. In that case you are leaving 16-20 million on the table, which is just downright crazy.

Northman
02-18-2014, 07:56 PM

6 million dollars is a lot of money.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Who exactly has said this?

Chop.

spikerman
02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
I really don't see him as a huge loss. Yes, he will be tough to replace, but I'm willing to lose some of the receiving firepower to bolster the OL and the defense.

SR
02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
6 million dollars is a lot of money.

Ten million dollars is a lot more.

SR
02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I really don't see him as a huge loss. Yes, he will be tough to replace, but I'm willing to lose some of the receiving firepower to bolster the OL and the defense.

Decker is above average and has had inflated numbers because of Peyton. That said, I don't think he will be hard to replace especially if we could get a guy like Nicks on the cheap.

spikerman
02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Ok, just pay me half of the 6 million and I'll catch one pass for 6 yards too. :D

Dreadnought
02-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Ten million dollars is a lot more.

The danger of accepting an over inflated contract is real as well. It does little good to sign with say, a chump outfit like the Raiders at $12 million per year for five years if there will be a regime change in a year and the new guys demand a restructuring after a year of catching 50 for 600 from the likes of Terrell Pryor. There is a cash value to stability.

SR, please tell me you don't actually want us to sign Hakeem freakin Nicks?

Northman
02-18-2014, 09:43 PM
The danger of accepting an over inflated contract is real as well. It does little good to sign with say, a chump outfit like the Raiders at $12 million per year for five years if there will be a regime change in a year and the new guys demand a restructuring after a year of catching 50 for 600 from the likes of Terrell Pryor. There is a cash value to stability.

SR, please tell me you don't actually want us to sign Hakeem freakin Nicks?

I dont mind Nicks but his injury history is concerning. I just have a feeling people are taking Decker a bit for granted here but people have already dug their heels in the dirt when it comes that guy.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 10:46 PM
nicks-- the only guy on the market who may actually be more fragile than louis delmas. . . :lol:

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 11:17 PM
There was also just an article out that said he'd love to stay in Denver, but would do what is best for his family...so he's doing the free agent speech. I'll just wait to see what his true intentions are on the day he signs whereever he signs.

I have often wondered how much real difference in a 5 million a year contract is and 6 million. Just how much is not enough money. I can see 5 million and 9 million, then is some states like Texas and Florida that do not have state income taxes he could save 10-15% by moving to one of those states, IIRC Washington is also a "no state tax" state. That is one place I would hate to see him go.

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Also, it's really easy so say you would settle for 6 million and not go for 10 when you are living paycheck to paycheck. You aren't exactly in a position to be greedy. But when you have the skillset of an NFL player and the potential to almost double your earning potential, it's pretty hard to just turn that opportunity down. Especially when you are in the position that any play could be your last and a team could cut you at any moment. Extremely wealthy people don't become that way by just settling for 6 million when they could get 10.

yet after taxes what is the real difference if you are in most states after taxes might be just a shade over two million.. while a lot of money if you are playing playing as a Brown vs Bronco is it really worth it?

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Decker is above average and has had inflated numbers because of Peyton. That said, I don't think he will be hard to replace especially if we could get a guy like Nicks on the cheap.

as I said in another decker thread, he has more TD's over the past three years than any other WR in the NFL, one of those years with tebow, so it is not just manning.. IMO he is not just another pretty face.

SR
02-19-2014, 12:01 AM
as I said in another decker thread, he has more TD's over the past three years than any other WR in the NFL, one of those years with tebow, so it is not just manning.. IMO he is not just another pretty face.

Tebow didn't hardly throw to anyone but Decker so "not just Manning" is silly.

I've also seen him drop easy catches, give up on plays, trip over yard lines more than once, and bitch incessantly to referees for a flag. He has had three years in a row with double digit TD catches. How many Pro Bowls has he been voted to? Not the be all, end all, but a good indicator. He isn't an All Pro. He isn't a Pro Bowler. He isn't a top 10 guy. He's an above average receiver reaping the benefits of having Peyton throw to him.

SR
02-19-2014, 12:03 AM
The danger of accepting an over inflated contract is real as well. It does little good to sign with say, a chump outfit like the Raiders at $12 million per year for five years if there will be a regime change in a year and the new guys demand a restructuring after a year of catching 50 for 600 from the likes of Terrell Pryor. There is a cash value to stability. SR, please tell me you don't actually want us to sign Hakeem freakin Nicks?

Want? No. Wouldn't mind if he's cheap. He's got something to prove, much like DRC did. Players like that for the right price aren't much of a risk but have big upside.

Dreadnought
02-19-2014, 12:04 AM
nicks-- the only guy on the market who may actually be more fragile than louis delmas. . . :lol:

You think some Bronco fans get a case of the raging stupids over Decker? Live in Giants territory for a while. They hate Nicks like the Devil hates Holy Water...they kind of have a point too, or at least a better case than some of the foolish complaints I've read here about Decker :lol:

SR
02-19-2014, 12:06 AM
You think some Bronco fans get a case of the raging stupids over Decker? Live in Giants territory for a while. They hate Nicks like the Devil hates Holy Water...they kind of have a point too, or at least a better case than some of the foolish complaints I've read here about Decker :lol:

Nicks has underachieved but his talent is still there and he's still young.

D1g1tal j1m
02-19-2014, 12:10 AM
I won't miss the stupid "Decker ball spike, let's make it a spin like a top " after every catch.

Marty Martian
02-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Gotta be able to catch a ball first!

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 12:24 AM
Gotta be able to catch a ball first!

Welcome to the board.

I'm sure you're aware Decker has 222 catches, 172 of them in the last two seasons.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Nicks has underachieved but his talent is still there and he's still young.

That's great but all that talent is worthless if he can't stay healthy.

SR
02-19-2014, 12:53 AM
That's great but all talent is worthless if he can't stay healthy.

Knowshon? DT? Julius Thomas?

dogfish
02-19-2014, 12:59 AM

they have a significantly better point. . . anyone with sense would take decker over nicks at this point, it's not close. . .

bottom line for me is the bottom line, though. . . DT's a more complete player, and you can't pay 'em both #1 money. . . if decker's going to get anything even close to 10 mil / per, not only no, but hell no-- absolutely not worth it. . . we could almost certainly sign jared allen for two or three years at that price, no sweat. . . that's not an easy choice for me-- it's no choice at all. . .

:defense:

Northman
02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
How many Pro Bowls has he been voted to? Not the be all, end all, but a good indicator.

Oh my god, you have to be shitting me. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pro bowl is a popularity contest SR, come on.

Northman
02-19-2014, 05:46 AM
they have a significantly better point. . . anyone with sense would take decker over nicks at this point, it's not close. . .

bottom line for me is the bottom line, though. . . DT's a more complete player, and you can't pay 'em both #1 money. . . if decker's going to get anything even close to 10 mil / per, not only no, but hell no-- absolutely not worth it. . . we could almost certainly sign jared allen for two or three years at that price, no sweat. . . that's not an easy choice for me-- it's no choice at all. . .

But thats not really the point of this specific thread. If Decker takes less to stay than what? Are you still going to complain?

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Knowshon? DT? Julius Thomas?

What about them? Demaryius hasn't missed a game since coming back from his achilles injury and Knowshon was healthy all year. The guy misses game consistently every year so no thanks.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 07:54 AM

We'll what Denver offers Decker.

If the Broncos do not sign Allen I'll be here to talk you down from the ledge. :D

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Is it? Because no one on earth outside of Denver had heard of Julius Thomas before this season and he was selected to the pro bowl. People tend to forget that 2/3 of the pro bowl vote comes from the players and coaches.

Between Tebow and Manning, Denver has been THE most talked about team in the NFL the last 3 seasons, so it's not like people don't know who Decker is.

Northman
02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Is it? Because no one on earth outside of Denver had heard of Julius Thomas before this season and he was selected to the pro bowl. People tend to forget that 2/3 of the pro bowl vote comes from the players and coaches.

Between Tebow and Manning, Denver has been THE most talked about team in the NFL the last 3 seasons, so it's not like people don't know who Decker is.

There are clearly more talented/popular WR's than TE's. Its not even close.

SR
02-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Duh. But it still matters. They still talk about it in Canton.

SR
02-19-2014, 08:50 AM
But thats not really the point of this specific thread. If Decker takes less to stay than what? Are you still going to complain?

If Decker takes less, say $5-6mil per, I'd be pretty pleased. He's not worth $10mil per season on any team and some team will likely offer it to him. On this team, when we DO have an All-Pro caliber receiver in DT, Decker just isn't worth the money he'll likely get in free agency.

SR
02-19-2014, 08:51 AM
What about them? Demaryius hasn't missed a game since coming back from his achilles injury and Knowshon was healthy all year. The guy misses game consistently every year so no thanks.

Just saying that sometimes injury prone players bounce back, get healthy, and don't have problems again. Delmas is fairly young. Even though I don't really see a glaring need on this team at safety, at least not one worth taking a risk on injury prone players, it is possible that Delmas could stay healthy in the future.

SR
02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
There are clearly more talented/popular WR's than TE's. Its not even close.

True, but if Decker is good enough to get paid more than guys like Reggie Wayne, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Anquan Boldin, and Larry Fitzgerald, you would think he'd get some recognition.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm with North and Dread. The $4M difference just isn't enough to give up quality of life and happiness. My wife would be just fine with $6M/year and would kill me if I told her we were packing up for Detroit for an additional $4M. At what point is enough enough?

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm with North and Dread. The $4M difference just isn't enough to give up quality of life and happiness. My wife would be just fine with $6M/year and would kill me if I told her we were packing up for Detroit for an additional $4M. At what point is enough enough?

Except you wouldn't have to pack up and move to Detroit. Several players keep a home in their preferred city but play in another one.

Mike
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Playing in a league where the next game could be the last....I can't blame any player for taking what they can when they can.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Except you wouldn't have to pack up and move to Detroit. Several players keep a home in their preferred city but play in another one.

What's the difference? I'm fine with you and your opinion - you should be with mine as well.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Playing in a league where the next game could be the last....I can't blame any player for taking what they can when they can.

Nor do I. Just saying what I would probably do.

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 09:40 AM
What's the difference? I'm fine with you and your opinion - you should be with mine as well.

Wut? Where did you get out of my post that I'm not fine with your opinion? I'm just stating that you don't necessarily have to move your family to the new city you play in, and in many cases players keep their families based on one city while they play in another.

SR
02-19-2014, 09:40 AM

Screw your opinion. I hate you.

;)

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Exactly. For all we know he could break his neck on the first play of this next season and that's it for him. As insanely short as the average NFL career is, I can definitely see why players go for the bigger check.

Northman
02-19-2014, 09:44 AM
While you could keep your home and family in Denver and play in Detroit its not something i would do personally. My wife is my best friend and having her around as much as possible its far more important to me than a little extra dough. Want to pay me 15-20 $million? Yea, then we can talk but im not going to be all up in arms if im getting paid $6 as opposed to $10. Even if i as a player i dont need fancy cars or 15 room houses. Its just not necessary for someone like me.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Wut? Where did you get out of my post that I'm not fine with your opinion? I'm just stating that you don't necessarily have to move your family to the new city you play in, and many cases players keep their families based on one city while they play in another.

That's just not acceptable to me. I'd want my wife and kids with me. All the time. Only being with them for 1/2 the year just isn't how I'd want to live.

My wife was a stay-at-home mom for most of our marriage. We sacrificed a lot (monetarily) so she could actually be the one raising our kids.

BroncoWave
02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
On the other hand, we're talking about the worst case scenario (Detriot) as a reason for staying put over grabbing money. What if, say, San Diego or Miami offers him 10 million? They you are still in a great city AND making more money. In a case like that there isn't much to give a second thought to.

Mike
02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Nor do I. Just saying what I would probably do.

I get that. I could only see two scenarios that I would play for less. 1) I had played for a long-time, made my money, and felt loyalty/love to a team that had treated me well over the years. Or 2) I had played a long time, made my money, and wanted to win a championship...taking less to get better players to have a better chance to win the SB.

Being a young player who hasn't made much $$ with the opportunity to make a lot more $$. I would have to get while the getting was good.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:51 AM
On the other hand, we're talking about the worst case scenario (Detriot) as a reason for staying put over grabbing money. What if, say, San Diego or Miami offers him 10 million? They you are still in a great city AND making more money. In a case like that there isn't much to give a second thought to.

My wife would never, ever leave Denver in that scenario. If I was offered $10M tomorrow (based on what I make now) we'd probably be gone. But if we're already millionaires and pretty much have everything we'd ever want or need, she'd NEVER go anywhere else.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 10:26 AM
My wife would never, ever leave Denver in that scenario. If I was offered $10M tomorrow (based on what I make now) we'd probably be gone. But if we're already millionaires and pretty much have everything we'd ever want or need, she'd NEVER go anywhere else.

That makes sense, but I don't know if Decker is in that situation. He was a 3rd round draft pick, and probably has already spent most of everything he's made.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 10:34 AM
That makes sense, but I don't know if Decker is in that situation. He was a 3rd round draft pick, and probably has already spent most of everything he's made.

Don't forget his wife makes a ton of money as well. It's not like they're hurting...

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Don't forget his wife makes a ton of money as well. It's not like they're hurting...

No she doesn't. She released one album four years ago that sold 120,000 copies, has released a couple of singles that haven't even cracked the top 20 on the country charts and hasn't toured in four years.

I'm not saying they are hurting, they are likely not, but I don't think she's been that successful as a singer.

Northman
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
As for the injury thing, if thats the case and reason for grabbing millions than we might as well start paying college athletes and pee wee leagues because the chance of serious injury applies to those as well. People get hurt in football at many levels yet many do not get paid to play like they do in the NFL.

Northman
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
No she doesn't. She released one album four years ago that sold 120,000 copies, has released a couple of singles that haven't even cracked the top 20 on the country charts and hasn't toured in four years.

I'm not saying they are hurting, they are likely not, but I don't think she's been that successful as a singer.

They arent hurting, she's apparently currently worth 1.5 million. That isnt too shabby.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Just saying that sometimes injury prone players bounce back, get healthy, and don't have problems again. Delmas is fairly young. Even though I don't really see a glaring need on this team at safety, at least not one worth taking a risk on injury prone players, it is possible that Delmas could stay healthy in the future.

That's true sometimes players can shake the injury bug but then Bob Sanders never did. In Denver's own history Courtney Brown came Denver had one full season got injured the next and never played iirc.

As others have mentioned Decker is better than Nicks so I would keep if that is possible.

SR
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
They arent hurting, she's apparently currently worth 1.5 million. That isnt too shabby.

That's not very much.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
What was Decker's original contract worth? Anyone know?

I'd love it if he stayed, but am mentally preparing myself to say goodbye.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 11:05 AM
that's not very much.

lol.

Northman
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
That's not very much.

You must be pretty rich then.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
What was Decker's original contract worth? Anyone know?

I'd love it if he stayed, but am mentally preparing myself to say goodbye.

$2.5. So we're talking about a couple being able to double their fortune vs. triple their fortune. To me, that's just a big difference.

Northman
02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
$2.5. So we're talking about a couple being able to double their fortune vs. triple their fortune. To me, that's just a big difference.

2.5 to 6 is pretty big too. And you get to stay put so thats always a plus.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

ITs not just 4 million though, its at least 12 million you are leaving behind in a three year stretch. Not to mention, you aren't just builing wealth for yourself, but for generations. Your kids kids and their kids. That's something to take seriously, and not even the VERY WEALTHY would walk away from an additional 12 million. That is a LOT of money, for anyone.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I think people are kidding themselves. Just my opinion.

Northman
02-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Just my opinion.

Indeed

SR
02-19-2014, 11:38 AM
You must be pretty rich then.

Humor a little dry for you?

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Indeed

I think it's a little naive to think quality of life only exists in Denver. Besides we're talking about a southern girl and a kid from Minnesota. And we're talking about $24 million vs. $40 million on a four year contract. (The guarantee would also likely be similarly proportioned). They have no prior ties to Denver like us.

Plus, the likelihood Denver isn't even going to offer him.

:whoknows:

Northman
02-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I think it's a little naive to think quality of life only exists in Denver. Besides we're talking about a southern girl and a kid from Minnesota. And we're talking about $24 million vs. $40 million on a four year contract. (The guarantee would also likely be similarly proportioned). They have no prior ties to Denver like us.

Plus, the likelihood Denver isn't even going to offer him.

:whoknows:

There have been plenty of players who were not from Denver who decided to stay man. Is it the only place to live? No. But seriously its not like it would be a bad thing if Decker stayed in Denver if he and his wife felt the money was right and the opportunity to win a championship was still there. Will he leave? Maybe, most likely. But its just funny the guy comes out and makes a statement that money isnt the only thing he is considering yet people want to try and bash him for that too. The guy simply cant win with some of you.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM

worst case is not the lions, but the browns. crappy city to go with the worst franchise, at least the lions have some talent and frankly with megatron there they are unlikely going to pay decker 10.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
worst case is not the lions, but the browns. crappy city to go with the worst franchise, at least the lions have some talent and frankly with megatron there they are unlikely going to pay decker 10.

Cleveland is a lot closer to Nashville than Denver. Maybe now that she has the kid she'd like to jumpstart the singing career again.

Come to think of it, Tennessee might be a fine fit for them both professionally.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
There have been plenty of players who were not from Denver who decided to stay man. Is it the only place to live? No. But seriously its not like it would be a bad thing if Decker stayed in Denver if he and his wife felt the money was right and the opportunity to win a championship was still there. Will he leave? Maybe, most likely. But its just funny the guy comes out and makes a statement that money isnt the only thing he is considering yet people want to try and bash him for that too. The guy simply cant win with some of you.

many fans have issues with players drafted/brought in by Mc Daniels, if they are not all pros then they must be bums like they thought he was. they will give Thomas a pass this year because he has not asked for 15 million a year yet. it is a matter of time if he is not all world next year then it will be jump on his ass time. we have heard the same thing about ayers, moreno, beadles, walton etc over the years.

until all of "his" players are gone for some they will not be happy.

SR
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
many fans have issues with players drafted/brought in by Mc Daniels, if they are not all pros then they must be bums like they thought he was. they will give Thomas a pass this year because he has not asked for 15 million a year yet. it is a matter of time if he is not all world next year then it will be jump on his ass time. we have heard the same thing about ayers, moreno, beadles, walton etc over the years. until all of "his" players are gone for some they will not be happy.

DT deserves $10mil/yr

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Cleveland is a lot closer to Nashville than Denver. Maybe now that she has the kid she'd like to jumpstart the singing career again.

Come to think of it, Tennessee might be a fine fit for them both professionally.

could be a place he would take less money at, but if it is just about money the raiders or browns are most likely the places he lands.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:10 PM
DT deserves $10mil/yr

but will we have that much money to give him? Welker or a replacement for him will also be due next year, then Miller will be due the following year along with several others.

Elway has his work cut out for him.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
many fans have issues with players drafted/brought in by Mc Daniels, if they are not all pros then they must be bums like they thought he was. they will give Thomas a pass this year because he has not asked for 15 million a year yet. it is a matter of time if he is not all world next year then it will be jump on his ass time. we have heard the same thing about ayers, moreno, beadles, walton etc over the years.

I can honestly say that I HATE McDaniels... probably as much as anyone does. I think that man is a total waste of oxygen on this planet. But I don't look at Decker and DT as "his" Players. I don't even look at Moreno as "his" players. So I would be surprised if people dislike Decker because of McDooosh. I think its because they remember his slide, or a trip, or a drop and can't seem to let the stupid stuff go. Hell, to be honest (and I NEVER use the race card)...its probably an automatic reaction to seeing a white guy on the outside and just assume that he's not as athletically gifted and thus only a "produce of the system." Which is pretty absurd since he produced with Orton and Tebow.

Manning has made less gifted WRs look decent while in Indy, and will be "fine" without Decker. Its the next QB that is going to miss Decker more. Personally, I would drop Welker in a heartbeat if that meant we could keep Decker. It can't, and wont, but I would do it.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
but will we have that much money to give him? Welker or a replacement for him will also be due next year, then Miller will be due the following year along with several others.

Elway has his work cut out for him.

You back load DT's contract and time the big money to hit when Manning is gone.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 12:16 PM

I'm not trying to bash Decker, for the record. A.) Take the most money is likely what I would do and B.) I like Decker as a receiver, even though I have been critical of some of his faults, most notably the punt return.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 12:17 PM
DT deserves $10mil/yr

I want to have his baby.

Northman
02-19-2014, 12:17 PM

To be honest im not even sure it has anything to do with McDaniels. I dont know if its because he sometimes gets manhandled by the turf monster or what but he seems to really draw the ire from a good number of posters on this board. I know people are annoyed with his constant looking around for a flag but if any of them actually took the time to watch all the games you will see that there are a good amount of times that he is interfered with and nothing gets called. I dont know what it is, but i sort of remember a lot of it started around the moment he was in the open field and instead of continuing to run he went down to the ground when no defender was around him. It seems ever since that moment there have been a lot of people coming down on him, of course nevermind that he had pretty much played extremely well for a 3rd round pick but that doesnt stop the haterade from flowing. lol

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm not trying to bash Decker, for the record. A.) Take the most money is likely what I would do and B.) I like Decker as a receiver, even though I have been critical of some of his faults, most notably the punt return.

I think everyone knows he is not a punt return guy and the only reason he was back there was because there was no one else they trusted to do the job. the one flub I remember was because he was hastily put back there and NO one had practiced with him there. maybe there were more but that was the only one I recall. Odds are if he stays he will be the disaster return guy after 3-4 others

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM

yeah.. never could understand why anyone would be bashing him for a great punt return.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
To be honest im not even sure it has anything to do with McDaniels. I dont know if its because he sometimes gets manhandled by the turf monster or what but he seems to really draw the ire from a good number of posters on this board. I know people are annoyed with his constant looking around for a flag but if any of them actually took the time to watch all the games you will see that there are a good amount of times that he is interfered with and nothing gets called. I dont know what it is, but i sort of remember a lot of it started around the moment he was in the open field and instead of continuing to run he went down to the ground when no defender was around him. It seems ever since that moment there have been a lot of people coming down on him, of course nevermind that he had pretty much played extremely well for a 3rd round pick but that doesnt stop the haterade from flowing. lol

over the years on varios site I have seen that Mc D venom flow and you are correct about the turf monster and various things but it just might be big tall white guy that is not as coordinated as smaller WGs or bigger Black guys.

I see him as a very above average WR that has blossomed under manning, that has warts like every player does.

it is unfortunate that we simply do not have the funds to keep him and several other UFA around this year.

Northman
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
over the years on varios site I have seen that Mc D venom flow and you are correct about the turf monster and various things but it just might be big tall white guy that is not as coordinated as smaller WGs or bigger Black guys.

I see him as a very above average WR that has blossomed under manning, that has warts like every player does.

it is unfortunate that we simply do not have the funds to keep him and several other UFA around this year.

Agreed.

weazel
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
If a team wants to pay him like a #1, good for him. He had a great couple of years here and it's time for him to make some big money, I don't see anything wrong with it.

dogfish
02-19-2014, 04:03 PM

i'm not complaining now, you gigantic dope. . . :lol:

and he's probably not taking less to stay. . . be great with me if he does-- don't hold your breath, though. . .

Simple Jaded
02-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Complete and total bullshit, Doogie's critics have absolutely nothing to gain when/if his players dwindle.

MasterShake
02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I hope he plays the market and sees that other teams are willing to pay him a comparable amount so he will just stay here (but I have no doubt some dumb or desperate team like the Jets will pay him). I like the fact that he and Manning already have a pretty good chemistry built up. But to say its not all about the money is lip service to the fans. The Broncos would cut him without thinking if he didn't perform or got injured, and an NFL career is short. I hope he gets all he can, but I hope even more that he is stuck with us.

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Lucky that's not accurate. The mere fact that they were picks of McDaniel isn't why they're criticized. D. Thomas has been one of the best receivers in the League for the last two years actually the last two and half. People don't care that he was drafted McDaniels. I doubt very many people will be jumping on Demaryius' ass next year when becomes a free agent because if he's healthy for the whole year he'll have another big season.

Most of Moreno's critics which I've been one of them have quited because he played very well. Even so, I dont think Denver is going to pay him what he'll get on the open market. Personally I think he's much easier to replace than Decker because of the position he plays.

Ayers is just not that good. He plays the run fairly well but Denver needed him to be a better pass rusher and he wasn't.

Criticism of Beadles has to do with people think they see in his play and he's seen as the weakest of five who should be our starting offensive line.

Walton has missed two full season with injury and a lot people were not happy with his play before he got hurt.

David Burton was a McDaniels pick and you don't see people complain about him because he's Denver's speical teams ace.

I think where people are going on Decker is thinking so easy to replace. It doesn't seem to me that people dislike him they just don't think he should be paid $10 million dollars per year.

luckyseven
02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Complete and total bullshit, Doogie's critics have absolutely nothing to gain when/if his players dwindle.

so you say.

luckyseven
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Lucky that's not accurate. The mere fact that they were picks of McDaniel isn't why they're criticized. D. Thomas has been one of the best receivers in the League for the last two years actually the last two and half. People don't care that he was drafted McDaniels. I doubt very many people will be jumping on Demaryius' ass next year when becomes a free agent because if he's healthy for the whole year he'll have another big season.

Most of Moreno's critics which I've been one of them have quited because he played very well. Even so, I dont think Denver is going to pay him what he'll get on the open market. Personally I think he's much easier to replace than Decker because of the position he plays.

Ayers is just not that good. He plays the run fairly well but Denver needed him to be a better pass rusher and he wasn't.

Criticism of Beadles has to do with people think they see in his play and he's seen as the weakest of five who should be our starting offensive line.

Walton has missed two full season with injury and a lot people were not happy with his play before he got hurt.

David Burton was a McDaniels pick and you don't see people complain about him because he's Denver's speical teams ace.

I think where people are going on Decker is thinking so easy to replace. It doesn't seem to me that people dislike him they just don't think he should be paid $10 million dollars per year.

while you have made good points, if you go back thru posts over the years since these guys were drafted, there was plenty of criticism of those players. just a few general comments below.

in deckers case even though he is a great #2 one of the best in the league fans have complained about him since day one.

Same goes for ayers, walton, beadles and until mid last season moreno was on the cutting block by many each and every year.

Yet until hurt walton was the starter for every game including pre season games from day one. ayers was drafted by nolan to play OLB in the 3-4 so his development at DE was slowed by more than a year.

frankly i had forgotten about burton so thanks for bringing his name up.

but there are many fans that viscerally hate Mc Daniels and I believe they will be happy when his very existence of ever being here is removed. regardless of the success of said players.

I'm also pretty sure that there will be many that will jump on DT next year when he is looking for top money at WR and we will not be able to match that money.

BroncoWave
02-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm also pretty sure that there will be many that will jump on DT next year when he is looking for top money at WR and we will not be able to match that money.

We're gonna pay DT whatever he wants, and he will deserve it.

luckyseven
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
We're gonna pay DT whatever he wants, and he will deserve it.

If you do not have the money you can't spend it. considering that many others will be coming up as UFA not to mention Von the following year. I'm not saying he will not deserve it, but like decker and many others this year there is only so much money.

SR
02-21-2014, 07:39 AM
while you have made good points, if you go back thru posts over the years since these guys were drafted, there was plenty of criticism of those players. just a few general comments below. in deckers case even though he is a great #2 one of the best in the league fans have complained about him since day one. Same goes for ayers, walton, beadles and until mid last season moreno was on the cutting block by many each and every year. Yet until hurt walton was the starter for every game including pre season games from day one. ayers was drafted by nolan to play OLB in the 3-4 so his development at DE was slowed by more than a year. frankly i had forgotten about burton so thanks for bringing his name up. but there are many fans that viscerally hate Mc Daniels and I believe they will be happy when his very existence of ever being here is removed. regardless of the success of said players. I'm also pretty sure that there will be many that will jump on DT next year when he is looking for top money at WR and we will not be able to match that money.

Okay, Zam...

TXBRONC
02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
while you have made good points, if you go back thru posts over the years since these guys were drafted, there was plenty of criticism of those players. just a few general comments below.

in deckers case even though he is a great #2 one of the best in the league fans have complained about him since day one.

Same goes for ayers, walton, beadles and until mid last season moreno was on the cutting block by many each and every year.

Yet until hurt walton was the starter for every game including pre season games from day one. ayers was drafted by nolan to play OLB in the 3-4 so his development at DE was slowed by more than a year.

frankly i had forgotten about burton so thanks for bringing his name up.

but there are many fans that viscerally hate Mc Daniels and I believe they will be happy when his very existence of ever being here is removed. regardless of the success of said players.

If players excells no one cares who drafted them. If they fail they get linked back up to the head coach that drafted them and Ayers case as well as every other player we've listed they were all drafted by McDaniels. Ayears was drafted five years ago and he's been playng defensive end for the last three years. So the development defense does wash. At this point in his career it's probably pretty safe to say he's not going to become a dominate pass rusher who will get you 8 to 10 sacks every year.

You must not being following the consevation very closely because have said they expect D. Thomas to get nice big pay raise and they have also said he deserves a pay raise and they have also said I undertand reality you can't everyone top dollar. I don't where you get the idea tha Denver has NO money because that's not what's been reported. Elway has done very good job of managing the cap.

If players does well people are not going put a lot of thought into who drafted them and they will be liked . Thomas and Burton well liked because they have preformed very well. Decker and Moreno are both liked for the most part but a lot people feel that they're kind you give top money to unlike Thomas.

TXBRONC
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Okay, Zam...

That' not fair. There is absoluetly no one like Zam and his convoluted posts.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
If players excells no one cares who drafted them. If they fail they get linked back up to the head coach that drafted them and Ayers case as well as every other player we've listed they were all drafted by McDaniels. Ayears was drafted five years ago and he's been playng defensive end for the last three years. So the development defense does wash. At this point in his career it's probably pretty safe to say he's not going to become a dominate pass rusher who will get you 8 to 10 sacks every year.

You must not being following the consevation very closely because have said they expect D. Thomas to get nice big pay raise and they have also said he deserves a pay raise and they have also said I undertand reality you can't everyone top dollar. I don't where you get the idea tha Denver has NO money because that's not what's been reported. Elway has done very good job of managing the cap.

If players does well people are not going put a lot of thought into who drafted them and they will be liked . Thomas and Burton well liked because they have preformed very well. Decker and Moreno are both liked for the most part but a lot people feel that they're kind you give top money to unlike Thomas.

Bingo, TX. People aren't complaining about those that produce and play good football. The complaints center around play. I don't care who was drafted by whom, that doesn't change anything. McDaniels was the worst HC I've ever seen, that isn't going to change purely because a copule WRs have worked out. I'm not going to "feel bettter" about McDaniels being here if ALL his players are goine. QUite the opposite, actually. At least I can say that PILE left us with some decent players.

Walton wasn't good before getting injured for two full seaons in a row now. I know I have been highly disappointed because he was one of the guys I WANTED to draft. But he's not good. Moreno was on everyone's cutting block because he DESERVED to be on everyones cutting block based on the return. He still isn't a game changer in any way and basically HAS been replaced. Ayers, despite everyone trying to hang onto Mayock's words on how good this kid is "going to be" when drafted, he's just very very average at best.

Decker has produced with Orton, Tebow, and especially with Manning. Of course his numbers grow with Manning, butpeople don't seem to take away from a guy like Jerry Rice that had two HoFers throwing to him throughout his career. He wouldn't be getting catches if the QB doesn't throw him the ball, and he gets open. He beats defenders, and he is one of the top #2 guys in the league right now.

I wonder where the line is for fans.... I mean, what if we were able to sign him for 8 million a year, is that too much?

luckyseven
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM

again good points.

a few rebuttal comments.

IMO it matters not what the players do during their careers they will indeed be linked to those that drafted or signed them. If they do well less will be made of them unless they become a primadonna and ask for more money than they should (good chance for DT and VM) although Von is Johns potential albatross.
If DT does want 15+ million a year he could very well become persona non grata, for some fans.

We all know that fans have their favorites, some they hang their hats on as early as college guys, many others after the combine and then those that love them as soon as they are drafted. Moreno was one of them, Decker not so much and DT was the glass WR for many fans. Fortunately most of those players have come on strong the past couple years.

As for money yes John does a good job perhaps the best we have had, but he is soon going to be running into his own draftees, some of them being damned good. You can only juggle so much, for so long.

It is estimated that this years actaul money available, after cuts and perhaps contract redos will be about 30 million. 8-9 will be needed for rookies, 10 needed for carry over to next year and IR this coming season, so that means we will have about 11-12 million this year for his group of players like he has picked up in the past, Shawn P, DRC, Adams etc.

Not sure how much the cap goes up next year, and how much carry over from this year. But they will have several others come due along with DT, so not sure where that money is going to come from.

SR
02-21-2014, 04:04 PM
I highly doubt DT will want Calvin Johnson money...

luckyseven
02-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Bingo, TX. People aren't complaining about those that produce and play good football. The complaints center around play. I don't care who was drafted by whom, that doesn't change anything. McDaniels was the worst HC I've ever seen, that isn't going to change purely because a copule WRs have worked out. I'm not going to "feel bettter" about McDaniels being here if ALL his players are goine. QUite the opposite, actually. At least I can say that PILE left us with some decent players.

Walton wasn't good before getting injured for two full seaons in a row now. I know I have been highly disappointed because he was one of the guys I WANTED to draft. But he's not good. Moreno was on everyone's cutting block because he DESERVED to be on everyones cutting block based on the return. He still isn't a game changer in any way and basically HAS been replaced. Ayers, despite everyone trying to hang onto Mayock's words on how good this kid is "going to be" when drafted, he's just very very average at best.

Decker has produced with Orton, Tebow, and especially with Manning. Of course his numbers grow with Manning, butpeople don't seem to take away from a guy like Jerry Rice that had two HoFers throwing to him throughout his career. He wouldn't be getting catches if the QB doesn't throw him the ball, and he gets open. He beats defenders, and he is one of the top #2 guys in the league right now.

I wonder where the line is for fans.... I mean, what if we were able to sign him for 8 million a year, is that too much?

good points also

Even if we had the 8 million I doubt many would go for that dollar value.

luckyseven
02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I highly doubt DT will want Calvin Johnson money...
HE is one of the best WR's in the NFL, agents have a way of pumping smoke up players skirts when it is contract time.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
HE is one of the best WR's in the NFL, agents have a way of pumping smoke up players skirts when it is contract time.

He's probably not as good as people want to believe...BUT....fans around here tried to believe that Marshall wouldn't get Larry Fitz money... and he did. Some around here tried to say that Clady woudln't get as high of a contract as Joe Thomas...he did.

It doesn't matter if a player is viewed around the fans as to who is 'best' at their position. It depends on how important that player is to YOUR team. If DT is as important to our team as Calvin is to the Lions, then guess what....he gets that kind of money. Clady was/is as important to the Broncos as Joe Thomas is to Cleveland. If the fans want to argue as to who is better.... makes no difference.

So will DT want Calvin Johnson money.... absolutely he will.

Simple Jaded
02-21-2014, 11:00 PM
so you say.

I want Decker resigned, I want DT extended, aside from Manning Knowshon Moreno was my favorite Bronco to watch last season (NEVER thought I'd say that) yet there is nobody around here that hates McDaniels more than I do.

That's complete and utter bullshit, even his biggest critic couldn't possibly care less as long as they can play.

SR
02-22-2014, 10:16 AM
He's probably not as good as people want to believe...BUT....fans around here tried to believe that Marshall wouldn't get Larry Fitz money... and he did. Some around here tried to say that Clady woudln't get as high of a contract as Joe Thomas...he did.

It doesn't matter if a player is viewed around the fans as to who is 'best' at their position. It depends on how important that player is to YOUR team. If DT is as important to our team as Calvin is to the Lions, then guess what....he gets that kind of money. Clady was/is as important to the Broncos as Joe Thomas is to Cleveland. If the fans want to argue as to who is better.... makes no difference.

Marshall is a $10 mil/yr WR. Clady is one of the best left tackles in football. Kind of silly points to make. I don't think DT will get Megatron money. Not even close.

Northman
02-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Yea, whether DT deserves it or not is irrelevant. If his agent states his worth is around CJ type money they will ask for it. I dont know how people can say "automatically" that Decker would want 10 million and then on the other hand think that DT would not want CJ type money. If Deck would be a fool not to take a pay raise than DT most certainly would be a fool if he was offered that kind of money and didnt take it.

BroncoJoe
02-22-2014, 10:49 AM
So - when does the bidding begin? What's the official date of free-agency?

MOtorboat
02-22-2014, 11:12 AM
So - when does the bidding begin? What's the official date of free-agency?

March 11.

SR
02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Yea, whether DT deserves it or not is irrelevant. If his agent states his worth is around CJ type money they will ask for it. I dont know how people can say "automatically" that Decker would want 10 million and then on the other hand think that DT would not want CJ type money. If Deck would be a fool not to take a pay raise than DT most certainly would be a fool if he was offered that kind of money and didnt take it.

The thought of DT asking for Megatron money is as laughable as Decker being worth $10mil/yr.

Northman
02-22-2014, 11:34 AM
The thought of DT asking for Megatron money is as laughable as Decker being worth $10mil/yr.

But you agree someone would pay them both correct? I mean, the contention has kind of been during all this that some team would be willing to bite and pay Deck that kind of money so im sure the same would apply to DT. Its not a matter if they are worth it but that a team would be willing to do it to land them on their roster.

MOtorboat
02-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Why? That's what the market has dictated the last few years. Maybe DT doesn't get Megatron money, but he'll get close.

luckyseven
02-22-2014, 04:33 PM

Considering that Manning may not be here past this coming season, those that depend on him getting the ball to them have to make hay while they can.

You can bet his agent will be telling him/ them that. After Manning those big numbers may not be there especially if Fox has his way they will be blocking a lot more for RBs.

Unless OZ becomes the next Manning being able to read the defense NEAR his level, Fox will revert back to run first.

Simple Jaded
02-22-2014, 07:32 PM
"Not all about money" = "Once we establish a number I'll weigh other factors".

artie_dale
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
I expect Decker will get offered something along the lines o $7 to $8M tops. I saw articles out there that expect him to get $10M offers, but that was just the media speculating (kinda like me) and looking past the fact that Peyton Manning was who was throwing to him.

Maybe if he didn't drop open passes (more so early in the season) or trip over his own feet in the open field, some teams might be more inclined. But I don't see it happening.

Ravage!!!
02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Marshall is a $10 mil/yr WR. Clady is one of the best left tackles in football. Kind of silly points to make. I don't think DT will get Megatron money. Not even close.

I'm confused as to what you are saying??? At the time, Marshall got the highest contract for a WR in the NFL when people were saying that he "shouldn't" get larry fitz money (which was before Megatron's newest contract)....yet he surpassed Larry Fitz money. What is hard to understand on that? Marshall is better than DT, so are you saying that DT shouldn't get Marshall money?? People were saying that Clady shouldn't get Thomas money because he wasn't as good...guess what...he got Thomas money despite the fan's perspective on "how good they are" compared to other playres in the the NFL.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 45m

Among the teams that have interest in Eric Decker ... Indy. If he can't play with PFM, he'd love to roll with Andrew Luck.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 45m

Among the teams that have interest in Eric Decker ... Indy. If he can't play with PFM, he'd love to roll with Andrew Luck.

Thats a real possibility and would be a great fit for Indy. Would rather see him united with Luck than Brady.

What about Pitt?? Arent they desperate for a WR? They paid the price for letting their own go and now Big Ben doesnt look so big anymore.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Thats a real possibility and would be a great fit for Indy. Would rather see him united with Luck than Brady.

What about Pitt?? Arent they desperate for a WR? They paid the price for letting their own go and now Big Ben doesnt look so big anymore.

pitt is horribly cap-strapped, which is why wallace was let go in the first place. . . they'll probably have to do some serious cap trimming/creative accounting if they want to retain their own FA WR, emmanuel sanders. . . decker is entirely out of their range. . .

indy makes perfect sense, and to me is a great example of why decker most likely won't be back. . . it's a great situation, and they have more cap space than we do, and a much greater need at WR. . . if i'm a wideout, the idea of playing potentially the rest of my career with luck is probably more appealing than playing a year or two with peyton-- especially if they're also paying more. . . agree that i'd rather see him go there than someplace like new england, or one of the AFC west teams. . .

Northman
02-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MasterShake
02-27-2014, 10:18 AM
pitt is horribly cap-strapped, which is why wallace was let go in the first place. . . they'll probably have to do some serious cap trimming/creative accounting if they want to retain their own FA WR, emmanuel sanders. . . decker is entirely out of their range. . .

indy makes perfect sense, and to me is a great example of why decker most likely won't be back. . . it's a great situation, and they have more cap space than we do, and a much greater need at WR. . . if i'm a wideout, the idea of playing potentially the rest of my career with luck is probably more appealing than playing a year or two with peyton-- especially if they're also paying more. . . agree that i'd rather see him go there than someplace like new england, or one of the AFC west teams. . .

I think Decker would be a good fit in Indy. My big fear is that he would go to Kansas City for some reason. I think he is just a good enough of a receiver to give us problems twice a year. Plus if KC got him they wouldn't worry about him torching their secondary like he did this past season. No matter what I don't want to overpay for him because we don't have to. If he wants to go make more money somewhere else and can more power to him. I enjoyed his time as a Bronco but I think Manning was the key to success in many ways and we can do the same with someone else. Having Thomas, Welker, and Julius is a hell of a place to start. I bet Brady would kill for just those 3 guys, no need to get greedy! :lol:

Northman
02-27-2014, 11:01 AM
I think Decker would be a good fit in Indy. My big fear is that he would go to Kansas City for some reason. I think he is just a good enough of a receiver to give us problems twice a year. Plus if KC got him they wouldn't worry about him torching their secondary like he did this past season. No matter what I don't want to overpay for him because we don't have to. If he wants to go make more money somewhere else and can more power to him. I enjoyed his time as a Bronco but I think Manning was the key to success in many ways and we can do the same with someone else. Having Thomas, Welker, and Julius is a hell of a place to start. I bet Brady would kill for just those 3 guys, no need to get greedy! :lol:

Manning is the key to success for all our receivers.

LTC Pain
02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Decker will go where the money takes him.

Ravage!!!
02-27-2014, 01:32 PM

But Welker is gone after next year, and Manning is gone in ______?? so that leaves DT and a TE that both go UFA soon, and a new QB. That's not exactly the "stacked" corp that people believe we have.

NightTerror218
02-27-2014, 01:34 PM

But Welker is gone after next year, and Manning is gone?? so that leaves DT and a TE that both go UFA soon. That's not exactly the "stacked" corp that people believe we have.

Welker may resign. Add depth in FA. DT will be paid top dollar and JT will prob stick around too.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 01:55 PM

If the Broncos can not keep him because of $$$$$, my preference would be that he end up with a NFC team, rather than a AFC team.

Northman
02-27-2014, 02:01 PM
But Welker is gone after next year, and Manning is gone in ______?? so that leaves DT and a TE that both go UFA soon, and a new QB. That's not exactly the "stacked" corp that people believe we have.

Indeed.

It amazes me that people just arent looking longterm. I know PM is here with a small window but you do have to consider going forward how to keep talent here as well as any chemistry built between them.

Northman
02-27-2014, 02:02 PM
If the Broncos can not keep him because of $$$$$, my preference would be that he end up with a NFC team, rather than a AFC team.

Watch his ass go to the Ravens.

Buff
02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
My prediction is that Decker stays in Denver.

The WR-stacked draft class will hurt the free agent market. I don't think any team is going to shower him with $$ - which plays into our hands.

MOtorboat
02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
My prediction is that Decker stays in Denver.

The WR-stacked draft class will hurt the free agent market. I don't think any team is going to shower him with $$ - which plays into our hands.

Cooper got $25 for 5. Decker should command $3-4 mil more per year than Cooper. I thought Cooper would get $6, so I'm thinking Decker will get $8 or $9 per year.

MasterShake
02-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Indeed.

It amazes me that people just arent looking longterm. I know PM is here with a small window but you do have to consider going forward how to keep talent here as well as any chemistry built between them.

I can die at any time. Screw the future.

Buff
02-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Cooper got $25 for 5. Decker should command $3-4 mil more per year than Cooper. I thought Cooper would get $6, so I'm thinking Decker will get $8 or $9 per year.

I could see him getting 5 years and $35 million. Anything more than $7 mil/yr is an overpay IMO.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
from article:

But two wide receivers who are set to hit the open market when free agency begins March 11 should consider staying where they are. Decker isn't going to find a better fit than the one he has in Denver. And Riley Cooper isn't going to maximize his potential anywhere else the way he will in Philadelphia.

Decker and Cooper are in the perfect places for them. Money can buy security, but it can't make a career.

Unless New England, Green Bay or New Orleans signs him, Decker isn't assured of playing with a future Hall of Fame quarterback if he leaves Denver. In two seasons playing with Peyton Manning, Decker has caught 172 passes for 2,352 yards and 24 touchdowns.

full article, plus video discussing Decker - article was written 6 days ago. Cooper just resigned with Phila.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10487014/staying-put-best-option-free-agent-wrs-eric-decker-riley-cooper

TXBRONC
02-28-2014, 07:43 AM

I wonder if $8-9 million per year is a figure both the Broncos and Decker could live with?

Northman
02-28-2014, 08:08 AM
I wonder if $8-9 million per year is a figure both the Broncos and Decker could live with?

My guess is if he cant get "much" more on the open market he could live with it. But if a team offers him the moon he would probably jump.

Dzone
02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
If he goes to Indy, that could be a place where he could put up the same numbers as he did with pfm

artie_dale
02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
I think a team was left off that article that pointed out best teams for Decker to join.

NFL 2014 free agent roundup: Eagles re-sign Riley Cooper, Colts looking at Eric Decker
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/27/5452864/nfl-2014-free-agency-riley-cooper-contract-eric-decker-dqwell-jackson

I think the Colts would be a good fit with Luck, Fleener, Wayne, & TY. Almost the same makeup he has here in Denver, but I don't think anyone should offer him more than $6/7M. We'll see how interested the Colts are, but I think they are a legitimate fit.

Dzone
02-28-2014, 11:56 AM
We could be facing Decker every year in the playoffs

Buff
02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
The more I think about it, I could actually see someone like KC or SD overpaying... Both have a need at the position, and both would benefit more than other teams from stealing him from a division rival.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Except neither one of them have much cap space

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
I understand the $6/$7 sentiment. But his production could easily call for more like $8/$9, because production-wise he's been twice the receiver Cooper has been.

Buff
02-28-2014, 12:06 PM
I understand the $6/$7 sentiment. But his production could easily call for more like $8/$9, because production-wise he's been twice the receiver Cooper has been.

But you'd be hard pressed to make a real world argument that Decker is twice the WR that Cooper is. Results definitely matter in the NFL, but I think they will be taken with a grain of salt.

Dreadnought
02-28-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm not convinced Cooper could have gotten that much from anyone else. Obviously the Eagles like the guy a good bit though, and his very high YPC argue he is a pretty effective deep threat.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM

That and he is by far the most productive WR available on the market, period. If a few teams bid...I could easily see at least 8 mil

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm not convinced Cooper could have gotten that much from anyone else. Obviously the Eagles like the guy a good bit though, and his very high YPC argue he is a pretty effective deep threat.

One year of solid production. Decker has done if for 3

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 12:09 PM
But you'd be hard pressed to make a real world argument that Decker is twice the WR that Cooper is. Results definitely matter in the NFL, but I think they will be taken with a grain of salt.

222 catches, 3,070 yards, 33 touchdowns
93 catches, 1,514, 13 touchdowns

Both have played four seasons. That's quite the real world argument.

Buff
02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
222 catches, 3,070 yards, 33 touchdowns
93 catches, 1,514, 13 touchdowns

Both have played four seasons. That's quite the real world argument.

I understand - but the QB matters - the different systems matter. Front offices are taking everything into account. My point is that they are similar talents at the end of the day imo. It will be interesting to see who is closer to being correct.

Ravage!!!
02-28-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't think they are. I think Decker is a lot better, and proved to be productive even with Orton and Tebow. Of course the QB matters, but you still ahve to make the plays when the QB gets you the ball. Decker has done that. Hard for the Owners/GM to make a case that the "talent is the same" when one has doubled the other in TDs and yardage. Decker is the better WR, but Cooper is probably faster in the 40.

Buff
02-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't think they are. I think Decker is a lot better, and proved to be productive even with Orton and Tebow. Of course the QB matters, but you still ahve to make the plays when the QB gets you the ball. Decker has done that. Hard for the Owners/GM to make a case that the "talent is the same" when one has doubled the other in TDs and yardage. Decker is the better WR, but Cooper is probably faster in the 40.

I understand that argument... I get it. Production matters. You are what your record says you are.

Decker will get more than Cooper. But how much more? That's what will be interesting to see.

Dreadnought
02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
One year of solid production. Decker has done if for 3

No argument from me. I was trying to guess why the Iggles spent that much on Riley Cooper so early in the game. They must like the guy. I think Cooper is pretty decent, but Decker is a much better and a more proven commodity.

CoachChaz
02-28-2014, 12:21 PM
No argument from me. I was trying to guess why the Iggles spent that much on Riley Cooper so early in the game. They must like the guy. I think Cooper is pretty decent, but Decker is a much better and a more proven commodity.

I think Cooper for 5 mil a year is a pretty good bargain.

Ravage!!!
02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
is that 10 million signing bonus on top of the 25 for 5? That would make his contract 7 million a year.

MOtorboat
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
is that 10 million signing bonus on top of the 25 for 5? That would make his contract 7 million a year.

No $10 is the guaranteed of the whole $25.

Buff
02-28-2014, 12:26 PM

No, 10 of the 25 is guaranteed. It's not $10M on top of the $25M.

dogfish
02-28-2014, 01:11 PM

i hope to god that's not a figure the broncos can live with. . . :eek:

also, buff's drunk if he thinks cooper is as good as decker. . .

Buff
02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
i hope to god that's not a figure the broncos can live with. . . :eek:

also, buff's drunk if he thinks cooper is as good as decker. . .

You are drunk if you think I ever said that. Of course Decker is better. I just don't buy the argument that Decker is a $10 mil a year guy and Cooper is a $5 mil a year guy. I've said all along that I thought Decker would come in slightly ahead of Cooper. But who knows - it only takes one team to overpay.