PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez in, Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe out at CBS

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Any thought that Tony Gonzalez might change his mind about retirement (again) can probably put to rest, as Gonzalez has a high-profile new job: CBS has announced that Gonzalez is joining its pregame show.

As part of the same announcement, CBS said Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe will no longer appear on The NFL Today. The new cast of the show will be James Brown, Bill Cowher, Boomer Esiason and Gonzalez.

“Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said in a statement. “As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers. Tony was one of the most respected and hardworking players in the NFL and a tremendous teammate. We look forward to him bringing these attributes to CBS Sports. While we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe who have contributed greatly to the success of The NFL Today for more than a decade. Dan and Shannon are true Hall of Famers on the field and in front of the camera. As they pursue other professional opportunities, we thank them for their hard work and dedication and wish them nothing but the best.”

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/tony-gonzalez-in-dan-marino-and-shannon-sharpe-out-at-cbs/

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I loved Shannon Sharpe as a player, but his English is barely passable at times. I can't figure out for the life of me how he kept his job as long as he did.

MOtorboat
02-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Sharpe is tailor-made for NFLN.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2h

Totally sucks that CBS is parting ways with @shannonsharpe. But I always thought he was handcuffed in a packaged pregame show.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 03:18 PM
shannon sharpe ‏@ShannonSharpe 2h

I'll find a new platform to share my passion, love and opinions on NFL/NFL related topics. I leave gr8 friends behind. You're in good hands.

shannon sharpe ‏@ShannonSharpe 2h

I will not be a part of the Nfl today on CBS this fall. Although sadden and disappointed, I'm grateful of 10 yrs I was.

Timmy!
02-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Booooo

GEM
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Even less reason to watch pre-game now. More time for game snacks and getting dinner at half time. :rockon:

Dzone
02-18-2014, 03:55 PM
I thought Sharpe was funny and he said whats on his mind. Oh well, he will get a job elsewhere, maybe with his brother

Northman
02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Odd, i thought Sharpe was one of the best ones on that show. lmao

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:13 PM
man, how they gonna replace shannon with tony? that's just cold, man. . . :lol:

i hope shay texts TG a pic of his super bowl rings. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
CBS dually announced that Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe — two longtime staffers on its pregame show — were not being retained. The new cast of The NFL Today is current host James Brown and analysts Bill Cowher and Boomer Esiason and Gonzalez. CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus told Sports Business Daily media reporter John Ourand on Tuesday that the network is in the process of hiring another analyst soon, but added that deal was not ready to be announced yet.

full article - http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/18/tony-gonzalez-cbs-dan-marino-shannon-sharpe/

OB
02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Booo - I am a huge Shannon fan - I only watched pregame just to see what he would say next - he is hard to understand but his passion and enthusiasm has never been duplicated - hopefully he will be picked up elsewhere

DenBronx
02-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Shannnon was one of the best in any pregame show. I dont understand why they would do this b/c Tony isnt even near as funny as Sharpe. I even like Sharpes brother. And not bringing back Marino was pretty lame too.

They both should get re-signed somewhere soon.

OrangeHoof
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Maybe they'll move on to NBC and replace the really lame crap they have on their pregame.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2014, 06:37 PM
[This story was originally posted on January 15, 2014. CBS confirmed the moves on February 18, 2014.]

CBS, disappointed that its NFL pregame show fell further behind rival Fox in the ratings this season, is internally discussing major changes to the show, multiple sources tell The Big Lead. FOX NFL Sunday had its best season ever, averaging 4.8 million viewers in 2013, while The NFL Today on CBS was a distant 2nd at 3.3 million viewers. A CBS spokesperson had no comment this week when asked about the following changes that the network is considering. It’s unclear which – if any – of these will actually happen, but sources say the following is being discussed:

AND

• Replacing Dan Marino. There was plenty of scuttlebutt last year that Marino would be replaced after the “love child” stories hit the press. CBS, the most conservative of the networks, didn’t make a move. The problem with replacing Marino this year? There aren’t any star QBs retiring to take his spot. Unless …

* The other name to watch is Peyton Manning. While there are no indications that Manning will retire if he wins a second Super Bowl, CBS privately has discussed the idea of pitching Manning a dual role: a spot on the new CBS College Football Saturday set and a spot on The NFL Today. Manning will be immensely coveted by all the networks whenever he retires, and his background in the SEC playing for Tennessee, plus the fact he spent his entire career in the AFC, are no-brainers for CBS.

full article - again written on 1/15/14
http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/18/cbs-discussing-potentially-major-changes-to-nfl-pregame-show/

Ravage!!!
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Idk... As much as I liked Shannon, he was just HARD to listen to. I mean, you had to TRY and listen so that you could understand what he was saying. I'm not shocked they are moving on from him. As far as Marino, he just never added anything to the show. These aren't shocking moves. I absolutely dislike TG though. That guy was always an A-hole on the field, and never skipped an opportunity to hold out for more money.

Devilspawn
02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Two reasons why I dont care.

I tailgatge.

or

I spend the two hours setting up the lineups in my 40 FF leagues.

Sharpe will entertain elsewhere. Not sure about Marino, I forgot about the lovechild thing. I still miss Brett Musberger's "Here onnnnn CBS."

dogfish
02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

you still manage to miss some. . . :coffee:

:laugh:

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 11:40 PM
I loved Shannon Sharpe as a player, but his English is barely passable at times. I can't figure out for the life of me how he kept his job as long as he did.

Was thinking much the same, sounded like he had marbles in his mouth, he was funny at best with his antics, but overall chit chat nothing to write home about.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 10h

Just talked to Shannon Sharpe. Here's what he had to say about CBS replacing him on NFL Today show: #repost http://www.sulia.com/my_thoughts/05d7c880-2afc-4736-812c-7f166991b05e/?source=tw&action=prop&form_factor=desktop&repost=300 …

BroncoNut
02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
I never watched too much of it, but I don't recall Shannon Sharpe being that entertaining. I guess he does talk kinda bad, but I've heard worse in real life. I dont' remember struggling to figure out what he was saying. I'm not real sure why I posted this, just a thought

Devilspawn
02-20-2014, 08:21 PM
you still manage to miss some. . . :coffee:

:laugh:
Oh...... right. :/

FanInAZ
02-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Two reasons why I dont care.

I tailgatge.

or

That explains why you rarely check in any more, even during Raider week.

Dzone
02-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Shannon didnt help himself with those garish bow ties.
Has to be kinda hard for Shannon, being replaced by a guy who broke all his records and is younger and better looking.
Im sure shannon will do fine elsewhere.
http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/18/shannon-sharpe-cbs-the-nfl-today-sad-disappointed-grateful/?adid=tmzhero7

sneakers
02-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Dan Marino can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell

would you like a cookie son?

Dzone
02-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Marino dipped his pen in the company ink and she got pregnant. That will get your ass canned
http://www.ibtimes.com/dan-marino-love-child-7-things-know-about-his-affair-donna-savattere-1053588

Devilspawn
02-21-2014, 12:59 PM
That explains why you rarely check in any more, even during Raider week.
Nah that's just life. I leave Fantasy Football (except Flea Flicker lol :( ) to Thursday afternoons and Saturday nights since I'm tailgating 8AM till kickoff.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Marino dipped his pen in the company ink and she got pregnant. That will get your ass canned
http://www.ibtimes.com/dan-marino-love-child-7-things-know-about-his-affair-donna-savattere-1053588

That happened 7 years ago. If that is what canned him, they waited long enough to send the paperwork through.