PDA

View Full Version : Delmas May Visit Broncos

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Free-agent FS Louis Delmas (Lions) is expected to line up more team visits after the NFL Scouting Combine, and the Denver Broncos are among the interested teams.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=892504-broncos-interested-in-louis-delmas

This kid is one of the best safeties in the league when healthy.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Key words

underrated29
02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I was going to say the same thing. His knees....we went after him last year too I think?

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 01:36 PM
I was going to say the same thing. His knees....we went after him last year too I think?

If we sign him...we'll also need to sign his back-up

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Key words

That goes for any player in the league. This guy fills a huge position of need, is a defensive leader, and a big time playmaker. He's worth taking a chance on. He's missed a whopping 15 total games in 5 years. It's not like he's never on the field.

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Our D could have used him last season. He ended up with 64 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 8 PD's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Our D could have used him last season. He ended up with 64 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 8 PD's.

Those numbers are better than any safety we had last year. I would love to see him at SS, paired with Rahim at FS. Nacho would provide good depth.

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
How valuable was he? Schwartz put it this way in 2012-

Meanwhile, safety Louis Delmas (knee) and defensive tackle Corey Williams (knee) both returned to practice. There appears to be a decent chance, at least, of Delmas returning. He has played only three games this season because of a knee injury first suffered in training camp, and Schwartz referred to him Tuesday as "literally the heart and soul of our defense."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/67073/louis-delmas-might-be-ready-to-play

BroncoNut
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
with the sb pasting we received still lingering in the air around mile high, I really don't think this is a good time to be hosting visitors.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
That goes for any player in the league. This guy fills a huge position of need, is a defensive leader, and a big time playmaker. He's worth taking a chance on. He's missed a whopping 15 total games in 5 years. It's not like he's never on the field.

If it's the right price, I'm ok with it. But ONE full season after 2 injury riddled seasons doesnt make me feel all giddy inside when it comes to long term health. It's still a big risk.

Yes...I am well aware that ANY player is a risk. But I'd rather take that risk on a guy without an injury history.

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
with the sb pasting we received still lingering in the air around mile high, I really don't think this is a good time to be hosting visitors.

:confused: The Broncos made it to the super bowl. 30 other teams didn't. You think they have a better selling point because they didn't get pasted in the super bowl like Denver did?

SR
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Why is safety such a big need? Moore is solid. Nacho, if he can learn how to not kill himself and his teammates when he hits people and get a little better in coverage can be pretty good. Adams is good. I don't think we need a new starter, but we definitely need depth.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Why is safety such a big need? Moore is solid. Nacho, if he can learn how to not kill himself and his teammates when he hits people and get a little better in coverage can be pretty good. Adams is good. I don't think we need a new starter, but we definitely need depth.

Nacho was out of position far too frequently in the second half of the season.

tubby
02-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Reminds me of Bob Sanders in many ways.

BroncoNut
02-18-2014, 01:58 PM
:confused: The Broncos made it to the super bowl. 30 other teams didn't. You think they have a better selling point because they didn't get pasted in the super bowl like Denver did?

I don't think it's a good time for visitors is all. if you don't like that sue me

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-18-2014, 01:59 PM

I like Moore, but he is coming off a freak injury. Nacho is athletic as hell, but needs to get A LOT better in coverage. I also like Adams, but as a backup. Out of those three, two are backups and the other's health is in serious question.

underrated29
02-18-2014, 02:35 PM

To me it is our biggest need. I know sometimes we forget and overlook things but think about teams like Pitts, Colts with bob sanders and the seacoks....Think of how bad their defenses were when palamalu was out or bob sanders was out and then think how much better they were when they were in....Now of course those are two TOP TIER players which is why I mention seattle. They have two Awesome players. Thomas may be top tier and HOF worthy one day. Who knows.

IMO saftey is the first area we need to address. We need a big time impact player back there with Rahim. Nacho is good in run support and imo thats about it. Even if we land Delmas I would still like to use our first on a saftey like Pryor or of the like.

To me (depending on how FA goes) we should address the positions in order of: S, DE, CB, ILB, C, OG, WR, RB.
Preferrably taking care of DE in FA with allen. Saftey and CB in the draft (first two picks). ILB with Smith or go another year with Irving and Steward Bradley...Draft a WR and Rb can be had in FA...theres lots of decent backups that are cheap.

chazoe60
02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
We need two Safeties. The next time Moore actually makes a play will be the first plus I'm not sold he'll ever he back to what he was which was average at best. Nacho didn't impress me a whole lot.

The thing I was most jealous about while watching that dumpster fire of a SB was the Seahawks Safeties. Ours in all honesty, suck.

Buff
02-18-2014, 02:41 PM
I'll be interested to see if Nacho can make a leap next year. He showed some flashes last year of being a real play maker. But he was also out of position way too often.

SR
02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Nacho was out of position far too frequently in the second half of the season.

Do we not have coaches anymore?

Northman
02-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Delmas? Yes please.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Do we not have coaches anymore?

Well, the SB begs to question. :laugh:

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:20 PM

so, five or six games a year if you're lucky. . .

seriously, his knees are made of porcelain and toilet paper. . . terrible idea. . . if we can't afford TJ ward, get malcolm jenkins, donte whitner or mike mitchell. . . if we go out and sign one of the most fragile guys in the league after having last year de-railed by injuries, somebody should punch elway in the head. . .

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:22 PM

it's a huge need because we don't have one reliable, starting caliber safety on the roster right now. . . no one knows whether rahim will return to full strength, nacho is a bad joke (and currently a free agent, though he's easy to retain if we want), and mike adams is a senior citizen who isn't under contract with us any more. . . big need. . .

Ziggy
02-18-2014, 04:24 PM
so, five or six games a year if you're lucky. . .

seriously, his knees are made of porcelain and toilet paper. . . terrible idea. . . if we can't afford TJ ward, get malcolm jenkins, donte whitner or mike mitchell. . . if we go out and sign one of the most fragile guys in the league after having last year de-railed by injuries, somebody should punch elway in the head. . .

Either you're looking at the wrong person, or your math skills are lacking. He's missed an average of 3 games per year, and played in all 16 last season.

BroncoWave
02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Either you're looking at the wrong person, or your math skills are lacking. He's missed an average of 3 games per year, and played in all 16 last season.

You mean someone is exaggerating a player's injury history on here? No way!

Slick
02-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Nacho was great opening night against Baltimore. After that, not so much. Delmas was healthy all last year but I agree with Coach and dogfish. Draft a kid or sign a guy who doesn't have degenerating knees.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:45 PM

and didn't practice all year because his knees are already toast. . . very poor idea. . . there are enough guys out there who can play, AND still have cartilege in their knees-- we should get one of them. . .

turftoad
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Me too, except bigger.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 05:07 PM

I think we need two starters. Nacho has to learn to play safety...period. He was out there running on his instincts 95% of the time. As far as being refined in the position...he needs a ton of work. I like Moore, but who the hell knows what his future holds. That being said...we need some serious work at the position. I really prefer not to rely on Duke learning how to play and Moore being miraculously healthy.

DenBronx
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Those numbers are better than any safety we had last year. I would love to see him at SS, paired with Rahim at FS. Nacho would provide good depth.

Delmas is a FS and Moore is a FS. Sign him and let them battle it out in camp. Loser can be the backup.

Then we look to the draft for a SS in the first 3 rounds.

chazoe60
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Delmas is a FS and Moore is a FS. Sign him and let them battle it out in camp. Loser can be the backup.

Then we look to the draft for a SS in the first 3 rounds.
So Moore would be the back up. Gotcha.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Start both Delmas (FS) and Moore (SS) and send Ihanacho to the bench.

DenBronx
02-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Depends. Moore latest injury concerns me. Delmas has been really good when healthy, alot better than Moore even but I wouldnt complain if we had both.

Start both Delmas (FS) and Moore (SS) and send Ihanacho to the bench.

How can either Delmas or Moore go to SS when they are both FS??? That was my point. Are we going to convert one?

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Depends. Moore latest injury concerns me. Delmas has been really good when healthy, alot better than Moore even but I wouldnt complain if we had both.

How can either Delmas or Moore go to SS when they are both FS??? That was my point. Are we going to convert one?

I would convert Moore, honestly I don't think he's much of a play maker and as it turns out he's probably better at he physical side of the equation. But he's better than Ihenacho.

By the way, ya know who else came out into the league with this class of FA's? Darcel McBath and Elfonso Smith.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 07:02 PM

for at least four or five weeks. . .

7DnBrnc53
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Didn't Delmas used to play SS at times in Detroit? I think he did, but I'm not sure.

I am torn on him, but I would rather have him that Roman Harper or Malcolm Jenkins from NO. Those two aren't that good.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 01:51 AM
Seems like SS is a bigger need than FS.

If Delmas can play SS then it might be a good move. Patrick Chung I believe is also a FA.

MLB and DE are going to be the biggest needs on D though. I would love to see Jared Allen here with Miller and Phillips. That would be insane to watch those guys all on the same team. Then maybe draft Skov from Stanford in the 3rd and also find our best option at SS.

Hopefully Champ takes a deal that is cap friendly, stays at nickle and we sign DRC and Harris long term as well.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 08:22 AM

When I saw the opening post the Bob Sanders came to mind.

Traveler
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
If the team can't land Delmas, then how about Kerry Rhodes?

Dude has proved he can play ball and doesn't have the injury history. Notwithstanding his personal life, I wonder if Rhodes would now be willing to play on a 1 year prove it contract?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
The Broncos have talked to agent Drew Rosenhaus about his client Louis Delmas, a hard-hitting safety who was recently released by the Detroit Lions.

Delmas had declined the Lions’ request to reduce his $6 million salary for the 2014 season.

That’s just it with Delmas and so many other free agent players who will become available on March 11: You love him for $2 million or $3 million a year, but do you love him for $4 million to $6 million?

Delmas is a strong run defender so he would fill a Broncos need. He also had three interceptions last season. He brings Brian Dawkins-type energy to the field and leadership to the team.

But Delmas, who turns 27 in April, has undergone three knee surgeries since 2011. He doesn’t practice much during the week, although he did play in 98 percent of the Lions’ defensive snaps this year.

In short, Delmas is a very good player but a risky investment. If the Broncos are going to spend big money at the safety position, they may look first Jairus Byrd or T.J. Ward.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/02/18/broncos-talked-safety-louis-delmas-visit-set/26513/

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Draft

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
If the team can't land Delmas, then how about Kerry Rhodes?

Dude has proved he can play ball and doesn't have the injury history. Notwithstanding his personal life, I wonder if Rhodes would now be willing to play on a 1 year prove it contract?

I would be ok with Denver signing Kerry Rhodes.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
I would be ok with Denver signing Kerry Rhodes.

Honestly man, if Denver is going to look for a free agent safety to bring in as a starter, I'd rather them just go after Byrd. I do think Byrd is a little over rated, but damn he'd be a good fit here.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Well, the SB begs to question. :laugh:
IMO the SB defense was pretty good except for outside contain, if we do not let Harvin outside the DE and keep Wilson in the pocket the defense wins the game for us.

But those 6-7 plays were the back breakers. The Safety play had little to do with that.

Do we need help at safety? Yes we do but being the biggest reason we lost hardly.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Honestly man, if Denver is going to look for a free agent safety to bring in as a starter, I'd rather them just go after Byrd. I do think Byrd is a little over rated, but damn he'd be a good fit here.

And a very expensive one

Simple Jaded
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Kerry Rhodes in FA and Michael Sam in the draft, maybe they could get Richard Simmons to play CB.

Simple Jaded
02-19-2014, 09:24 PM
And a very expensive one

And how much money have they wasted on S's they've drafted?

SR
02-20-2014, 06:51 AM
And how much money have they wasted on S's they've drafted?

Not much.

Lancane
02-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Delmas makes sense, he rebounded from his injury and Denver is not dumb when it comes to contracts with security clauses in them regarding health issues (See Manning's Contract). Adams being an UFA and on the wrong side of the youth movement, Ihenacho being a RFA who just came on but couldn't stay on the field not to mention that Moore and Carter will be free agents in 2015. Then signing one of the better safeties in the league that has many more years to go at this level is a positive for this team, especially given that their draft position is not all that strong and the chances of drafting a playmaker safety in round one is very unlikely.

G_Money
02-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I would take Delmas at the right price, absolutely. His talent and his leadership are both top-notch (and we need both). I like Nacho's growth potential and if Moore can come back healthy, we're pretty good back there after adding Delmas. If Moore is not healthy it gets dicey, but the Broncos should know how Moore's health situation is... Right?

If we don't have to go safety early in the draft again I'll be fine. We could use several starters at other positions.

~G

broncofaninfla
02-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Besides the obvious health concerns, Delmas started declining. I really wanted this kid out of college but now not so much. But with that said I have full trust and faith in Elway and company in making the right choices.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Saints | Louis Delmas visitsThu, 27 Feb 2014 12:59:57 -0800Free-agent FS Louis Delmas (Lions) visited the New Orleans Saints Thursday, Feb. 27. - See more at: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/all#sthash.BfsI0iXW.dpuf

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Shanny use to love to throw money at guys with degenerative knees.

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Shanny use to love to throw money at guys with degenerative knees.

Javon Walker comes to mind.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Javon Walker comes to mind.

There was also that defensive tackle we picked up from the Jets. I believe his last name was Robertson. Then there was the DT with the degenerative belly who had two tackels on the year....

dogfish
02-27-2014, 05:29 PM
There was also that defensive tackle we picked up from the Jets. I believe his last name was Robertson.

dewayne robertson, former #4 overall pick. . .

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
So far Elway isnt making those kind of mistakes.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 05:45 PM
So far Elway isnt making those kind of mistakes.

nah, john's too smart for that crap. . . IF he takes a chance on a guy with injury concerns, he's going to sign him to an inexpensive one-year deal-- not four or five. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
dewayne robertson, former #4 overall pick. . .

You forgot to name the other defensive tackle I named. :D

DenBronx
02-27-2014, 05:55 PM
nah, john's too smart for that crap. . . IF he takes a chance on a guy with injury concerns, he's going to sign him to an inexpensive one-year deal-- not four or five. . .

The risky players John just gives them what John wants to give them. They would play free if John told them to.

Then the good players like Manning, Welker, Phillips he just pulls Jedi mind tricks on them.

Complete opposite of Shanny.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
You forgot to name the other defensive tackle I named. :D

darryl gardener?

:noidea:

not sure who you're talking about. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2014, 07:14 PM
darryl gardener?

:noidea:

not sure who you're talking about. . .

Sam Adams....he earned a million dollars for every tackle he made that year. Darryl might have had a decent year if he wouldn't have broken his hand.

dogfish
02-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Sam Adams....he earned a million dollars for every tackle he made that year. Darryl might have had a decent year if he wouldn't have broken his hand.

i think we had every bad DT in the league at some point or another under shanahan, it's hard to remember all of them. . . :doh:

luckyseven
02-27-2014, 11:51 PM
i think we had every bad DT in the league at some point or another under shanahan, it's hard to remember all of them. . . :doh:

Few of them accomplished anything and most got fat off of those contracts..

Simple Jaded
02-28-2014, 12:39 AM

Daryl Gardner, Chester McGlockton, McKinley from the Browns (forgot his first name cause he sucked), Veal, Mantae Reagor (these were my favorites, the tiny DE types that he bulked up to be even smaller DT's), Monsanto Pope, Mario Fatefahe, Amon Gordon.

dogfish
02-28-2014, 03:03 AM
Daryl Gardner, Chester McGlockton, McKinley from the Browns (forgot his first name cause he sucked), Veal, Mantae Reagor (these were my favorites, the tiny DE types that he bulked up to be even smaller DT's), Monsanto Pope, Mario Fatefahe, Amon Gordon.

lional dalton, gerard warren, daruis holland, michael meyers. . . the list of losers was VERY extensive. . .

it was alvin mckinley, IIRC. . .

sneakers
02-28-2014, 04:02 AM
delmas?

more like llamas

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
lional dalton, gerard warren, daruis holland. . . the list of losers was VERY extensive. . .

it was alvin mckinley, IIRC-- seems like we had another worthless brown DT as well. . .

Warren was actually a decent player.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Regaurding the SS position:

Our anwer at SS might already be on the roster. Quinton Carter should be healthy, and when he was healthy he was pretty good. I just watched a video from the beginning of 2013, and he has added bulk since his rookie year.

chazoe60
02-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Regaurding the SS position:

Our anwer at SS might already be on the roster. Quinton Carter should be healthy, and when he was healthy he was pretty good. I just watched a video from the beginning of 2013, and he has added bulk since his rookie year.

Just don't let him go any where near a casino.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Just don't let him go any where near a casino.

At least they're not as prevalant in Denver as McDonald's wrappers.

7DnBrnc53
03-02-2014, 04:06 AM
Warren was actually a decent player.

When he wanted to be, which wasn't often.

I remember Lional Dalton and McGlockton playing together 12 years ago, though. A decent tandem. Don't mind them letting McGlockton go in 03, but they should have kept Dalton, and got another good DT besides Daryl "IHOP" Gardener. Holland and Fatafehi weren't that great.

Lancane
03-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Seriously, Denver hasn't had as good a players at the defensive tackle then they do now, in four decades. Knighton may well earn a longer contract, but Sylvester Williams will be good with a little time, I also could see Wolfe who has gained some twenty odd pounds moving inside and being a beast. Funny how it has been our weakest position for so damn long and now it's one of our strengths.

luckyseven
03-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Seriously, Denver hasn't had as good a players at the defensive tackle then they do now, in four decades. Knighton may well earn a longer contract, but Sylvester Williams will be good with a little time, I also could see Wolfe who has gained some twenty odd pounds moving inside and being a beast. Funny how it has been our weakest position for so damn long and now it's one of our strengths.

I'm not even sure it may not have been longer than 40. With Vickerson, Pot Roast as anchor with relief from Sly and Wolfe from time to time throw in MJ pretty versatile group. We may have had one DT/NT at a time bit when they came off or were hurt, I do not remember quality depth.

underrated29
03-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Agreed. I hope so about Wolfe. I can't stand him at de. He sucks. Reminds me if john engleberger, but as a DT he can split and penetrate and hold up against the run pretty well too....I do not like him at de aside from obvious runs.

Dzone
03-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Lol John Engleberger...good memory