PDA

View Full Version : $10 Million per for Decker?

Traveler
02-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Eric Decker - WR - Broncos

The Boston Herald is the second media outlet this week to project free agent Eric Decker's forthcoming contract to be in the $10 million-per-year range.

Early last week, ESPN New York set the bar at "at least" $9 million a year. "Eric Decker might land $10 million per season," writes Herald reporter Jeff Howe. Howe believes Hakeem Nicks may only command $3 million to $4 million annually. It seems Howe is guessing, but informed guesses are notable. All signs point to Decker being paid like a true No. 1 wideout this offseason.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Really?

chazoe60
02-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Bye bye Decker.

BroncoWave
02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
See ya, buddy. I just don't see us paying him 10 mil a year. I'd much rather take my chances with Caldwell or either a cheap FA or mid-round pick to replace him and invest that 10 million into the defense.

Shazam!
02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
That number is ridiculous.

I like Deck, but it seems to me he quits on his running too soon, and looks incredulously to the Refs for flags way too often.

They'll be fine without him... Just opens up the door for Bubba or a big rookie.

Northman
02-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Really?

Really.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Good for him if he can get that.

turftoad
02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
See ya, buddy. I just don't see us paying him 10 mil a year. I'd much rather take my chances with Caldwell or either a cheap FA or mid-round pick to replace him and invest that 10 million into the defense.

The Broncos will NOT go into next year with Caldwell as the #2. I do see a less $ FA than Decker though.

BroncoWave
02-16-2014, 07:14 PM
The Broncos will NOT go into next year with Caldwell as the #2. I do see a less $ FA than Decker though.

Why not? It's not like he would be our #2 option. He'd still be behind DT/Wes/JT in the pecking order. Caldwell is not a bad guy to have as your 4th option. Having 4 top tier receiving options like we had this season is really more of a luxury than a need. I just don't see it as a huge priority to replace Decker with a comparable talent. Caldwell filled in just fine when called upon last year, and I think he would be fine in that role.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm pining for Jeremy Maclin.

vettesplus
02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
the only reason decker looked as good as he did this last year was...... MANNING....SEE YA DECKER, Enjoy your new deal but I will bet you will fall off a dark cliff real soon!!!!

Dapper Dan
02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Anquan Boldin needs to leave one of the worst passing teams in the NFL and join the best.

Dean
02-16-2014, 09:03 PM
It's looking more and more like a comp pick is in our future rather than Decker.

Northman
02-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Nothing is set in stone yet. Elway will let him test the market and then try to negotiate from there. If Deck wants to stay he will work with him, if he wants the money he will bolt. That simple.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Anquan Boldin needs to leave one of the worst passing teams in the NFL and join the best.

Report: Anquan Boldin, 49ers in talks for new contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325549/article/report-anquan-boldin-49ers-in-talks-for-new-contract

Dapper Dan
02-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Report: Anquan Boldin, 49ers in talks for new contract

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325549/article/report-anquan-boldin-49ers-in-talks-for-new-contract

Yeah. I saw that before I posted. I can still get my hopes up.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2014, 11:05 PM

I think Maclin could be a perfect compliment to DT, keeping him away from the Chefs would also be ideal.

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 11:17 PM

No kidding. Caldwell is no number two receiver.

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 11:19 PM

What has Maclin done beside being hurt?

Broncos Mtnman
02-17-2014, 01:07 AM
the only reason decker looked as good as he did this last year was...... MANNING....SEE YA DECKER, Enjoy your new deal but I will bet you will fall off a dark cliff real soon!!!!

You do know that he was the leader in yards and TDs even back in the days of Tebow, don't you?

Decker is a darn good receiver. If he wasn't, there wouldn't be talk about $10 million a year.

:coffee:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 01:16 AM
What has Maclin done beside being hurt?

Injuries are a valid concern, but when healthy he's one of the most explosive players in the league. He can probably be had for a fraction of the cost of Decker as well.

MOtorboat
02-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Mike Wallace wasn't nearly as productive as Decker in his last two years in Pittsburgh as Decker was in Denver the last two years and he got $60 for 5.

I think there's no reason NOT to expect Decker to get that type of contract.

Dwayne Bowe is more of a comp for style of play and he got $56 for 5. Still, Decker had better production than Bowe. And Decker is younger than Bowe.

Those are just two off the top of my head that I remember signing contracts last year. Decker is going to get $10 per year, I would think, because that's in line with production and age.

Tned
02-17-2014, 04:00 AM
You do know that he was the leader in yards and TDs even back in the days of Tebow, don't you?

Decker is a darn good receiver. If he wasn't, there wouldn't be talk about $10 million a year.

Exactly.

Simple Jaded
02-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Before '13 Jeremy Maclin had missed 5 games in 4 seasons, averaged 107 catches for 836 yards and 6.5 TD's.

TXBRONC
02-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Exactly, if someone thinks that he only looked good with Manning they're forgetting what he did with Tebow throwing him the ball.

capt. Jack
02-17-2014, 08:19 AM
I bet he ends up in NEW ENGLAND , for less money.Maybe we can get Eddie Royal back, if he gets cut!

vettesplus
02-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Exactly, if someone thinks that he only looked good with Manning they're forgetting what he did with Tebow throwing him the ball.

I disagree, he was not a household name with , and I cannot say this word so I will just call him that other dude, but with manning he has become a household name. I believe if he goes to a team with a ,just good qb he will be nothing more than another wr in this league

SR
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Maybe we can get Eddie Royal back, if he gets cut!

Why?

capt. Jack
02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Why?
Kick returns

broncofaninfla
02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Decker is a marketable guy, household name and obviously benefited from having Manning as his QB. He's a solid at best #2 WR who likely be offered more money than he's actually worth. I'd like to see him stay but I'd be shocked if he stays. I look for the Raiders and Vikings as possible teams that make a run for him.

luckyseven
02-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Really?

there will always be bottom feeders that will overpay for talent..

jhildebrand
02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
What is the status of Tavarres King? :confused: I know the Panthers signed him off our practice squad. He is the guy that was drafted with the idea of replacing Decker. It would be nice if there is a shot at re-acquiring him.

SR
02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Kick returns

No.

Why can't some fans let go of past players that weren't anything special? Baffles me.

Dapper Dan
02-17-2014, 01:47 PM
No.

Why can't some fans let go of past players that weren't anything special? Baffles me.

Because he was a low risk return man who could still take it all the way. I don't see anything wrong with Royal going back to Denver.

capt. Jack
02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
No.

Not only are you baffled, your also pretty funny!
It was just a thought BECAUSE OUR KICK RETURNERS SUCK DONKEY BALLS.

slim
02-17-2014, 01:55 PM
No.

#jaycutler

Poet
02-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Decker is worth ten million dollars because you pay extra money to fix an issue on your roster without developing/drafting a guy. I would not want my team to pay him that much money, though. I have issues with paying a WR who has been a number two WR like he's a number one WR. I still feel that way, even if Decker has number one WR production.

luckyseven
02-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Not only are you baffled, your also pretty funny!
It was just a thought BECAUSE OUR KICK RETURNERS SUCK DONKEY BALLS.

actually they are great return guys, but they DROP donkey balls. Sucking would mean they can hold on to the ball.

TXBRONC
02-17-2014, 05:51 PM
I disagree, he was not a household name with , and I cannot say this word so I will just call him that other dude, but with manning he has become a household name. I believe if he goes to a team with a ,just good qb he will be nothing more than another wr in this league

Whether or not he was a househould name I don't think matters. Facts are still facts for three straight years hes been in the top three in touchdown receptions on the team. There is only two or three receivers in enter NFL who will put up big numbers even if a stiff is throwing to them. Also I think most everyone here pretty much agreed Decker is a 2nd option.

Nomad
02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm more interested in finding players that can protect Manning's slow ass. He'll make any receiver look good.

Welker is the bad luck charm:lol:

Joel
02-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Not if we want to fill all the holes that cost us a SB win and earned us a SB beatdown. 3 of our 4 starting receivers are Pro Bowlers: Why would we pay $10 million/yr for the ONLY one who isn't? When we must pay big bucks next year to keep 2 of those who ARE? For $10 million/yr we could get Jon Asamoah (or better yet Geoff Schwartz, who's as good a G but can also play OT) with enough left over to add a pretty good RT, C or MLB—and still keep the half dozen guys who caught >40 of Mannings TDs this year.

I'd rather go into 2014 with Caldwell as #2 WR than Beadles and Franklin as #1 LG and RT (even that's probably not an option, since some foolish/desperate GM likely overpays Beadles.)

Simple Jaded
02-17-2014, 10:18 PM
A Punt/Kick returner that isn't a total liability or complete waste of space on offense? Yeah I could think of worse things than a former Bronco.

TimHippo
02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Decker's a very good number 3 (behind DT and Welker).
As a number two receiver he'd be a below average number 2.
He's be the worst #1 receiver in the league.

spikerman
02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

hmmmmmmm I'm trying to think who on the Raiders, Redskins, Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots is better? I definitely think he's replaceable, but worst #1 in the league? I wouldn't think so.

TimHippo
02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
hmmmmmmm I'm trying to think who on the Raiders, Redskins, Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots is better? I definitely think he's replaceable, but worst #1 in the league? I wouldn't think so.

Pierre Garcon is miles better than Decker and has actually proved he can be a number 1. Decker was basically a #3 receiver this year. Decker doesn't have blazing speed and his hands are suspect as well. Not a good combination for a #1.

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Pierre Garcon is miles better than Decker and has actually proved he can be a number 1. Decker was basically a #3 receiver this year. Decker doesn't have blazing speed and his hands are suspect as well. Not a good combination for a #1.

Yet IIRC he has scored more TDs over the past 3 year(one with Tebow) than any other WR in the nfl. Pretty good for a #3 guy.

MOtorboat
02-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Yet IIRC he has scored more TDs over the past 3 year(one with Tebow) than any other WR in the nfl. Pretty good for a #3 guy.

Decker has a couple high profile miscues, including tripping over a yard marker twice, but this is absolutely 100 percent correct.

Because he's had some drops, doesn't mean he's not a top flight receiver. The game's about points and no one has scored more points at wide receiver than Decker.

luckyseven
02-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Decker has a couple high profile miscues, including tripping over a yard marker twice, but this is absolutely 100 percent correct.

Because he's had some drops, doesn't mean he's not a top flight receiver. The game's about points and no one has scored more points at wide receiver than Decker.

Everyone pisses and moans about his drops and those couple of trips, but he is a consistent WR that gets catches when others are covered and then the hot WR goes to someone else when he is double covered.

I hate to see him go but realize he has to make as big BUCK as he can when the deal is offered and we certainly do not have it to spend, with so many other UFAs spot/holes to fill.

I believe he is not a true #1, but on the right team he could do very well, but frankly I suspect he will go to some bottom feeder because that is where the big bucks will be.

Northman
02-19-2014, 05:52 AM

And DT fumbles the ball a lot. Any receiver has their drawbacks, its just amazes me people focus on Decker's miscues more than his great play.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 08:12 AM

Actually Tom he's Manning's second option.

SR
02-19-2014, 08:59 AM
And DT fumbles the ball a lot. Any receiver has their drawbacks, its just amazes me people focus on Decker's miscues more than his great play.

Fumbles the ball "a lot"? He's had FIVE regular season fumbles in his CAREER, with only ONE being lost. Regular season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13216/demaryius-thomas

Mike
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM

He was not a #3 WR this year. I agree that he isn't a #1, but he is a top WR in the league. Decker is a very good receiver and Denver is a better team with him. My only complaint is that he disappears at times. I wouldn't want Denver to pay $10m a year for him, but I won't discredit his talent.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
He was not a #3 WR this year. I agree that he isn't a #1, but he is a top WR in the league. Decker is a very good receiver and Denver is a better team with him. My only complaint is that he disappears at times. I wouldn't want Denver to pay $10m a year for him, but I won't discredit his talent.

Not sure about him disappearing or not. with manning he goes to the open guy regardless of who it is, if D Thomas is doubled he goes to next on the list same thing for decker if he is doubled that means someone else is open.
our O will not be as effective without him on the field, same goes for welker, J or D thomas. the defense simply can not cover them all.

Northman
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Fumbles the ball "a lot"? He's had FIVE regular season fumbles in his CAREER, with only ONE being lost. Regular season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13216/demaryius-thomas

He's had 8 total, and generally they come at the worst times. Maybe thats why it seems to be a problem for me. Bottom line, they all have issues so this hatred that Deck seems to bring out of you guys is really just stupidity. My opinion of course.

SR
02-19-2014, 11:50 AM
He's had 8 total, and generally they come at the worst times. Maybe thats why it seems to be a problem for me. Bottom line, they all have issues so this hatred that Deck seems to bring out of you guys is really just stupidity. My opinion of course.

Hatred from who?

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM

You are kidding right? He's probably the best #2 in the NFL, and most certainly is NOT a #3.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't hate Decker at all. I just think it's silly to suggest he's worth as much as DT. I don't think there's a GM in the NFL....or Canada for that matter that would even entertain that as a viable discussion.

SR
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
You are kidding right? He's probably the best #2 in the NFL, and most certainly is NOT a #3.

Roddy White > Decker. There are quite a few very good #2 WRs.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I think the point of all of this...which seems to get lost at times...is that we simply cant afford to give Decker his market value. Period. So, people build on that and look for the little things to either justify letting him walk or justify keeping him. I think we'd ALL love to keep him. We just cant pay him. And despite the arguments over his drops or trips, the thing that makes him a #2 on our team is we have a much more talented player as our #1. The thing that makes Decker a #2 in the NFL is his inability to get separation. Because of that, I always thought he was better suited for the slot. With his size there, he could be even better than he is. But he has trouble with the better, more physical corners in the league and that isnt a trait you want in your #1 receiver.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM

I disagree. Garcon had never had 1,000 yards receiving or more 70 reception or even double digit touchdowns and that's with Manning throwing him the ball the first three years of his career. His first year 1,000 was just this past season his 6th in the League. Where do you get idea Decker was the number 3 receiver because the numbers don't add up to that. He was clearly the 2nd option. I agree he's not the quy you look to as the first option. Garcon is faster but big deal it doesn't make him better.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Roddy would be a number one option on many if not most teams in this League.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM
but how many teams are going to offer White a 4 year contract considering his age and injury history opposed to Decker who IIRC has missed few is any games.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Atlanta has both Roddy and Julio.... hard to say that Roddy isn't a #1 on the same team as another #1.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Atlanta pretty much has two #1's, so that's a bad example.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I also think its silly to complain about Decker's speed when he REPEATEDLY beat WRs deep. Its silly to say that he has trouble getting separation when he caught how many balls in the last 3 years and how many TDs??? :confused: How is that haveing trouble getting separation? If he had "suspect" hands, do you REALLY think he would have as many receptions as he's had?

Garcon isn't miles ahead of Decker. If you want to talk about a guy that would completely disappear, then Garcon is at the top of the list!

Northman
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM

You dont really take anything that guy says on here seriously do you? :lol:

Northman
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
I think the point of all of this...which seems to get lost at times...is that we simply cant afford to give Decker his market value. Period. So, people build on that and look for the little things to either justify letting him walk or justify keeping him. I think we'd ALL love to keep him. We just cant pay him. And despite the arguments over his drops or trips, the thing that makes him a #2 on our team is we have a much more talented player as our #1. The thing that makes Decker a #2 in the NFL is his inability to get separation. Because of that, I always thought he was better suited for the slot. With his size there, he could be even better than he is. But he has trouble with the better, more physical corners in the league and that isnt a trait you want in your #1 receiver.

And again, the most reasonable argument to be had but all the other garbage is just that, garbage. I can find faults in any one of our players including Manning himself if i wanted too. No player is perfect.

Northman
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Roddy would be a number one option on many if not most teams in this League.

If he could stay healthy. It seems the last couple of years he has spent more time on the bench than on the field. Despite some of his faults i can appreciate the fact that Decker has been healthy and able to play for us. DT might be the most talented of the WR bunch we have but his tendency to be made of glass concerns me.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
If he could stay healthy. It seems the last couple of years he has spent more time on the bench than on the field. Despite some of his faults i can appreciate the fact that Decker has been healthy and able to play for us. DT might be the most talented of the WR bunch we have but his tendency to be made of glass concerns me.

and his fumbles.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't hate Decker at all. I just think it's silly to suggest he's worth as much as DT. I don't think there's a GM in the NFL....or Canada for that matter that would even entertain that as a viable discussion.

On the open market he might very well be worth $10 million but I don't doubt it he'll get that in Denver. That doesn't mean Denver can't make him a decent offer.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 12:38 PM

FWIW D. Thomas hasn't missed a game since coming back from his ruptured achilles injury 2 1/2 years ago.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
I also think its silly to complain about Decker's speed when he REPEATEDLY beat WRs deep. Its silly to say that he has trouble getting separation when he caught how many balls in the last 3 years and how many TDs??? :confused: How is that haveing trouble getting separation? If he had "suspect" hands, do you REALLY think he would have as many receptions as he's had?

Garcon isn't miles ahead of Decker. If you want to talk about a guy that would completely disappear, then Garcon is at the top of the list!

If you watch the tape, he isnt very good at getting separation...and keep in mind he is usually "beating" teams #2 or nickel corner. I'm not saying he NEVER gets separation...it's just not his strongest point. So, put him in a position where he is the #1 and the team has a lesser option at #2 and he'll be facing even tougher coverage and his numbers will decline more.

At the end of the day, I think he is a perfect example of a #2 receiver. That is what his skills are prime for and he happens to play on one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history, which inflates his numbers.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
On the open market he might very well be worth $10 million but I don't doubt it he'll get that in Denver. That doesn't mean Denver can't make him a decent offer.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I like Decker. I just think it's silly to say he's worth as much as DT.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Well...it kind of does mean that. If Denver knows they are limited in what they can offer him or any other receiver they want to plug into that spot...and that number doesnt come close to what Decker's value is...then it wouldnt make sense to make an offer.

If his value is 8-10 mil and we can only go to 4 mil, then why insult him and embarass the organization?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Well...it kind of does mean that. If Denver knows they are limited in what they can offer him or any other receiver they want to plug into that spot...and that number doesnt come close to what Decker's value is...then it wouldnt make sense to make an offer.

If his value is 8-10 mil and we can only go to 4 mil, then why insult him and embarass the organization?

That's why the team is going to wait and see what others offer him.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah, Atlanta pretty much has two #1's, so that's a bad example.

Not really.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:39 PM
if he could stay healthy. It seems the last couple of years he has spent more time on the bench than on the field. Despite some of his faults i can appreciate the fact that decker has been healthy and able to play for us. Dt is the most talented of the wr bunch we have but his tendency to be made of glass concerns me.

fify

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
How could DT have back to back 1400 yard seasons if he was made of glass....I'm confused. We better stop running all of those screens for him too.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Lets just say Decker is gone. I don't see Denver offering him what he can get on the open market.

Here are 3 FA WRs that will come about half the price of Eric Decker yet could be just as good in our offense. If Decker is gone then we should find a bargain in the WR FA market because this year is loaded with them. The draft is also stacked with WRs, more than many other years I have seen. We could get a stop gap plus draft another one in the 4th.

Jeremy Maclin
Kenny Britt
Hakeem Nicks

Which one of those 3 WRs do you think would fit our offense best and maybe be just as productive as a #2 that Eric Decker was?

I like the size of Kenny Britt 6'3, Decker was also 6'3 but Britt might be a little more physical, which we need. However, I am concerned about his off field issues, he has been arrested 8 times during his brief career. He has the most upside and has never had a QB like Manning throwing him the ball.
Maclin has been very explosive at times which makes me think teams wont be able to double DT.
Hakeem Nicks could put up 1000 plus yards and 10 TDs a year IF he stays healthy. But staying healthy is what worries me.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
and his fumbles.

Yeah. Fumbles.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10447/calvin-johnson

SR
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
If you watch the tape, he isnt very good at getting separation...and keep in mind he is usually "beating" teams #2 or nickel corner. I'm not saying he NEVER gets separation...it's just not his strongest point. So, put him in a position where he is the #1 and the team has a lesser option at #2 and he'll be facing even tougher coverage and his numbers will decline more.

At the end of the day, I think he is a perfect example of a #2 receiver. That is what his skills are prime for and he happens to play on one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history, which inflates his numbers.

He also does not do well with contact at the line of scrimmage. He gets jammed and he is taken out of the play.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
How could DT have back to back 1400 yard seasons if he was made of glass....I'm confused. We better stop running all of those screens for him too.

He was the only WR in the NFL this year with 90+ catches, 1400+ yards, and 10+ TDs. He's got Manning throwing him the ball as well, but DT on a talent vs talent comparison is much more valueable than Decker IMO.

SR
02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Lets just say Decker is gone. I don't see Denver offering him what he can get on the open market.

Here are 3 FA WRs that will come about half the price of Eric Decker yet could be just as good in our offense. If Decker is gone then we should find a bargain in the WR FA market because this year is loaded with them. The draft is also stacked with WRs, more than many other years I have seen. We could get a stop gap plus draft another one in the 4th.

Jeremy Maclin
Kenny Britt
Hakeem Nicks

Which one of those 3 WRs do you think would fit our offense best and maybe be just as productive as a #2 that Eric Decker was?

I like the size of Kenny Britt 6'3, Decker was also 6'3 but Britt might be a little more physical, which we need. However, I am concerned about his off field issues, he has been arrested 8 times during his brief career. He has the most upside and has never had a QB like Manning throwing him the ball.
Maclin has been very explosive at times which makes me think teams wont be able to double DT.
Hakeem Nicks could put up 1000 plus yards and 10 TDs a year IF he stays healthy. But staying healthy is what worries me.

Not only no to Kenny Britt, but HELL NO. I like Maclin, but he has health concnrns that bother me. Nicks is the only one of those that I "wouldn't mind" seeing in Denver, given that list.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
He was the only WR in the NFL this year with 90+ catches, 1400+ yards, and 10+ TDs. He's got Manning throwing him the ball as well, but DT on a talent vs talent comparison is much more valueable than Decker IMO.

As far as talent goes there are only 4 or 5 other guys that have that combination of size and speed.

SR
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
As far as talent goes there are only 4 or 5 other guys that have that combination of size and speed.

True enough. That size and speed aren't a requirement. Maclin is only 6', 200lbs. Welker is a shrimp (and still on this team, I might add). Free agency also isn't the only way to go. The draft could yield us a good WR in the third or fourth round.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Not only no to Kenny Britt, but HELL NO. I like Maclin, but he has health concnrns that bother me. Nicks is the only one of those that I "wouldn't mind" seeing in Denver, given that list.

They all have inury concerns. Maclin and Nicks have had worse injuries but don't have the offield baggage. If that is why you say no to Britt then I can understand, he is on the verge to getting banned a full year. We already have knucklehead Von Miller . But, we lack that physicality, especially at the line of scrimmage. Britt can man handle DBs all day long, he's very strong. My thoughts are, if he came incredibly cheap and we have plans to draft a WR and groom him sort of like we did Decker then Britt might be a risk worth taking. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for players.

I like that Nicks has played with Eli. The transition from NY to Denver I believe would be good for him plus Manning can get some tips from Eli. I don't see NY re-signing him.

The Eagles could choose to keep either Maclin or Cooper. Whoever doesnt stay would be a solid option #2 here in Denver. Cooper should get a bigger contract because he isnt coming off a year long knee injury. But like I said, Maclin is very explosive, sure handed and has only had 3 fumbles in his career.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Very true and I think Decker is better than any WR on the market this year. I don't want him to go at all, he's one of my fav Broncos. Him and DT have so many years left and I was wanting to see them both with Osweiler after Manning retires. Decker is an extremely underrated talent. He IS a finnesse type WR but I dont mind finnesse when your offense scores like a Madden game. It's our defense that I don't like being soft. Plus Decker is an added value at kick returning, we could even let Holiday walk and just let Decker handle these duties....that's also a savings.

Dapper Dan
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Everyone sucks. Let's scrap the whole team and rebuild now.

SR
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
They all have inury concerns. Maclin and Nicks have had worse injuries but don't have the offield baggage. If that is why you say no to Britt then I can understand, he is on the verge to getting banned a full year. We already have knucklehead Von Miller . But, we lack that physicality, especially at the line of scrimmage. Britt can man handle DBs all day long, he's very strong. My thoughts are, if he came incredibly cheap and we have plans to draft a WR and groom him sort of like we did Decker then Britt might be a risk worth taking. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for players.

I like that Nicks has played with Eli. The transition from NY to Denver I believe would be good for him plus Manning can get some tips from Eli. I don't see NY re-signing him.

The Eagles could choose to keep either Maclin or Cooper. Whoever doesnt stay would be a solid option #2 here in Denver. Cooper should get a bigger contract because he isnt coming off a year long knee injury. But like I said, Maclin is very explosive, sure handed and has only had 3 fumbles in his career.

Like I said, I do like Maclin. I like Britt too when he's healthy but his off-field concerns are what make me shy away from him. Nicks isn't very big but I've seen him have some mean streaks. Even in an off-year in 2013 he stil managed over 50 catches for nearly 900 yards. But he has also never played a whole season. The closest he's come was in 2011 (76 catches, 1192 yards, 11 TDs in 15 games) and 2013 (15 games). Nicks is also still young at 26. I'm not a big fan of any WR free agent this year which is why I kind of lean toward looking at the draft for another WR in a pretty WR-heavy draft.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Like I said, I do like Maclin. I like Britt too when he's healthy but his off-field concerns are what make me shy away from him. Nicks isn't very big but I've seen him have some mean streaks. Even in an off-year in 2013 he stil managed over 50 catches for nearly 900 yards. But he has also never played a whole season. The closest he's come was in 2011 (76 catches, 1192 yards, 11 TDs in 15 games) and 2013 (15 games). Nicks is also still young at 26. I'm not a big fan of any WR free agent this year which is why I kind of lean toward looking at the draft for another WR in a pretty WR-heavy draft.

Which is why a stop gap at 2-4 mill a year would make sense. Even if there are injury or offield concerns. We can still draft but a guy like Maclin could pay off huge. I remember us fans getting all bent when we lost Dumervil but Phillips basically erased that from memory with a very minumal contract.....way less than what we would have had to pay for Elvis. I can see Elway doing the same thing.

Northman
02-19-2014, 02:23 PM
He also does not do well with contact at the line of scrimmage. He gets jammed and he is taken out of the play.

And DT gets manhandled by defenders as well. I know *shocker* right?

Northman
02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm confused. .

I know, i feel for ya Al.

Northman
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Very true and I think Decker is better than any WR on the market this year. I don't want him to go at all, he's one of my fav Broncos. Him and DT have so many years left and I was wanting to see them both with Osweiler after Manning retires. Decker is an extremely underrated talent.

Well said.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 02:31 PM
As I understand John has so many UFAs as it stands right now, he simply can not afford to make anyone of them offers so he is letting them all test the market, if he were to make one of them an offer and not be able to do it for most of the ones they would really like to keep, he risks alienating one or more of them.

I beleive that strategy is a good one, I also believe that their agents know to come back with any offers to see what ours would be higher or lower before they sign elsewhere. Maybe we will get lucky and get. A few back after they test the water and find they may Only get big money from the bottom feeders. They may decide a home town discount is in their best interests.
John has a big job this off season, glad they re did his contract.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Yeah...that's called separation.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 02:38 PM

Jeremy Maclin
Kenny Britt
Hakeem Nicks

I'd say Nicks. Britt is a walking arrest record and I think Maclin is a no-brainer to K.C.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I'd say Nicks. Britt is a walking arrest record and I think Maclin is a no-brainer to K.C.

Decker is also a no brainer to KC. Decker and Bowe together will create mismatches. I could see Minn, Tenn, San Diego or Washington picking him up too.

Hate to say it but Oakland has the money...I don't want to see him go there. He deserves better than Jokeland.

claymore
02-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Decker is also a no brainer to KC. Decker and Bowe together will create mismatches. I could see Minn, Tenn, San Diego or Washington picking him up too.

Hate to say it but Oakland has the money...I don't want to see him go there. He deserves better than Jokeland.

If he takes 10 Mil per year from another AFCW team, thats good news for the Broncos.

SR
02-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Not really. He gets beat up here and there but not consistently. A jam at the line doesn't take DT out of the play as frequently as it does Decker.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 03:23 PM
If he takes 10 Mil per year from another AFCW team, thats good news for the Broncos.

Some teams dont blow their whole wad on a QB like we did. There are many teams that can afford to pay him 8 or 9 mill a year and will also reap the benifits of having him. Decker will make game managers like Alex Smith look like more than a game manager, especially if they have a guy like Bowe on the other side. It will create problems for us if he lands in the AFCW. Would HATE to see him paired up with McCoy and Phillips Rivers!! Would hate it even more if the Pats got him....would instantly make Tom Bradys offense much better.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:23 PM

You're right...Decker is every bit as good as DT and should be paid accordingly. Let's give them all 10-12 million and I'll see if my kids high school team is willing to play defense for us

claymore
02-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Some teams dont blow their whole wad on a QB like we did. There are many teams that can afford to pay him 8 or 9 mill a year and will also reap the benifits of having him. Decker will make game managers like Alex Smith look like more than a game manager, especially if they have a guy like Bowe on the other side. It will create problems for us if he lands in the AFCW. Would HATE to see him paired up with McCoy and Phillips Rivers!!
I hope the best for him, but I would be shocked to see him make that much. Welker has had much better numbers, for more years and he got much less. Different WR positions, but production is production.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM
I hope the best for him, but I would be shocked to see him make that much. Welker has had much better numbers, for more years and he got much less. Different WR positions, but production is production.

Overall production in the last 5 years I agree there but how much longer does Welker have? I was thinking now and long term. The concussions of Welker have to come into play as well. Decker is also putting up better numbers than Welker as of right now.

Who's more valuable to the team? Decker at 9 mill or Welker at 8 mill next year? If it came down to it I would let Welker go if it meant losing Decker.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Overall production in the last 5 years I agree there but how much longer does Welker have? I was thinking now and long term. The concussions of Welker have to come into play as well. Decker is also putting up better numbers than Welker as of right now.

Who's more valuable to the team? Decker at 9 mill or Welker at 8 mill next year? If it came down to it I would let Welker go if it meant losing Decker.

Welker wont be making 8 mil next year. If he is, Elway slipped up

claymore
02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

I think Decker is less valuable because we can get the same production from cheaper guys. I dont think we can replace Welker with anyone better, or the same. I would be all over cutting his ass if we could find someone cheaper.

claymore
02-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Welker wont be making 8 mil next year. If he is, Elway slipped up

He couldnt get that much money from the pats, or us already. I dont see him making more than 5-6 the rest of his career.

Dapper Dan
02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Decker is worth 10 mil to some teams. He's not worth that to Denver. A player is worth more in certain places. Just like anything else.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
I think Decker is less valuable because we can get the same production from cheaper guys. I dont think we can replace Welker with anyone better, or the same. I would be all over cutting his ass if we could find someone cheaper.

But 8 mil for a career ending concussion waiting to happen is a concern and not smart business. I think he is either released or restructured.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
He couldnt get that much money from the pats, or us already. I dont see him making more than 5-6 the rest of his career.

His cap hit is 8 mil for us this year

claymore
02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
But 8 mil for a career ending concussion waiting to happen is a concern and not smart business. I think he is either released or restructured.

He needs to restructure. 2 Million of that is dead money right?

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 04:00 PM
He needs to restructure. 2 Million of that is dead money right?

Yes. his base is only 3 mil and he has 3 mil in pro-rated bonus...so we could cut him and save 6 mil. Not really a ton of room for restructuring.

claymore
02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Yes. his base is only 3 mil and he has 3 mil in pro-rated bonus...so we could cut him and save 6 mil. Not really a ton of room for restructuring.

Hopefully we can restructure and save that 2 mil. Not sure how that works though.

Northman
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
You're right...Decker is every bit as good as DT and should be paid accordingly. Let's give them all 10-12 million and I'll see if my kids high school team is willing to play defense for us

No one said that.

Northman
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM

Another great post. I brought that up a while back. Denver has to think beyond Manning and would be stupid not to try really hard to keep Decker here. With Oz learning from Manning on the bench having consistency in player personnel would be huge for a young QB taking over the reigns.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 04:48 PM

I doubt that Decker would go to the viking simply because except for the road trip to the lions all of their division games will be outside and mostly very cold. Pretty sure unless their money is way more than anyone else he will avoid that.

CoachChaz
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Another great post. I brought that up a while back. Denver has to think beyond Manning and would be stupid not to try really hard to keep Decker here. With Oz learning from Manning on the bench having consistency in player personnel would be huge for a young QB taking over the reigns.

Agreed. But that could be 2 more years. So until then, we have to prioritize. DT, JT, Miller, Decker. Which 3 do we want and need the most.

Miller has to be a priority (for now) simply because our defense needs help and losing one more piece isnt helping. DT is the best receiver we have and JT is part of the current wave of athletic TE's that is extremely valuable. Unfortunately...Decker is the odd man out.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
I doubt that Decker would go to the viking simply because except for the road trip to the lions all of their division games will be outside and mostly very cold. Pretty sure unless their money is way more than anyone else he will avoid that.

Have players come out and avoided that before??? :confused: Why on earth would you assume that to be the case with Decker?

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Not really. He gets beat up here and there but not consistently. A jam at the line doesn't take DT out of the play as frequently as it does Decker.

THat must be why they didn't put DT on the strong side of the Seattle Defense during the Super Bowl. DT gets jammed up BADLY by physical CBs, and its been the knock on him all year long. I think the exaggeration on Decker's "lack" of separation is just that... greatly exaggerated.

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 06:13 PM

???? Playing in Denver outside is also very cold. See Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler to see if other previous Broncos avoided going to cold outdoor stadiums to pursue their careers. 10+ million reasons why that doesn't matter to Decker.

Also the Vikings play in a dome. The only two other teams in that division are Green Bay and Chicago. Not every time they play outdoors are going to be Dec or January weather games. Sometimes they will play in Sep, Oct or Nov outdoors which isnt as cold. So really it's a non factor, especially when it is 3-4 hours out of a year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 06:17 PM
THat must be why they didn't put DT on the strong side of the Seattle Defense during the Super Bowl. DT gets jammed up BADLY by physical CBs, and its been the knock on him all year long. I think the exaggeration on Decker's "lack" of separation is just that... greatly exaggerated.

They did put him on the strong side a few times. Manning tried to hit him with the 9 route twice on that side. One time Sherman had good coverage. The other time DT had both the safety and Sherman beat, but Manning's arm got hit when he was trying to throw to DT, which resulted in the pick six.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 06:46 PM
???? Playing in Denver outside is also very cold. See Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler to see if other previous Broncos avoided going to cold outdoor stadiums to pursue their careers. 10+ million reasons why that doesn't matter to Decker.

Also the Vikings play in a dome. The only two other teams in that division are Green Bay and Chicago. Not every time they play outdoors are going to be Dec or January weather games. Sometimes they will play in Sep, Oct or Nov outdoors which isnt as cold. So really it's a non factor, especially when it is 3-4 hours out of a year.
Vikings used to play in a dome. That dome is or has been torn down and they will be playing at Minnesota Gophers Stadium for their home games until the new dome is built on the site of the old dome.

At least three of those division games will be played late in the season nov-jan for the next 3-4 years which should be the length of Deckers next contract.

Does anyone really think he wants to go there IF there are other options for about the same money? Plus for the foreseeable future AP will be the bell cow for the Vikings.

Sure it is cold in Denver but nothing like the tempatures that are in Minnesota that time a year.

The biggest factor is this time he has the choice of where he wants to play. Not like being drafted to a cold weather team.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Vikings used to play in a dome. That dome is or has been torn down and they will be playing at Minnesota Gophers Stadium for their home games until the new dome is built on the site of the old dome.

At least three of those division games will be played late in the season nov-jan for the next 3-4 years which should be the length of Deckers next contract.

Does anyone really think he wants to go there IF there are other options for about the same money? Plus for the foreseeable future AP will be the bell cow for the Vikings.

Sure it is cold in Denver but nothing like the tempatures that are in Minnesota that time a year.

He graduated from high school in Minnesota and played college ball at Minnesota.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
He graduated from high school in Minnesota and played college ball at Minnesota.

Yes he did what does that have to do with going back to play there? HS and college games are over late November, whereas pro games go into as late as mid January huge difference in cold games.

MOtorboat
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Yes he did what does that have to do with going back to play there? HS and college games are over late November, whereas pro games go into as late as mid January huge difference in cold games.

I just think it's a little presumptuous to think he wouldn't play in Minnesota when he's from there.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I just think it's a little presumptuous to think he wouldn't play in Minnesota when he's from there.

Perhaps. But hitting the frozen tundra perhaps a hunderd times a year also takes a lot out of a body.

I know if it were me, unless the money was significantly better I'd take the job in the south. Where nice soft grass grows year round.

Again this time he has the choice on where he plays. Hottie wife might have a bit to say about it also. Do you think she wants to go with her infant child to the cold north?

DenBronx
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Perhaps. But hitting the frozen tundra perhaps a hunderd times a year also takes a lot out of a body.

I know if it were me, unless the money was significantly better I'd take the job in the south. Where nice soft grass grows year round.

Again this time he has the choice on where he plays. Hottie wife might have a bit to say about it also. Do you think she wants to go with her infant child to the cold north?

I guess Aaron Rogers and Clay Matthews should just retire then.

luckyseven
02-19-2014, 08:45 PM

So you are equating the contract of Decker and Rogers? Yeah sure.

Not sure about Clay but I suspect it is much higher than Deckers will be also.

Not even saying that the Vikings and the packers are the same level of opportunity of making the playoffs either.

I'm not saying he won't, but I know that given the choice I would chose a southern exposure.

DenBronx
02-20-2014, 01:50 AM

So you are equating the contract of Decker and Rogers? Yeah sure.

Not sure about Clay but I suspect it is much higher than Deckers will be also.

Not even saying that the Vikings and the packers are the same level of opportunity of making the playoffs either.

I'm not saying he won't, but I know that given the choice I would chose a southern exposure.

LBs usually dont get paid as good as top tier WRs. That wasnt even the point though. The point is Decker will go wherever he feels like its meant to be for the right amount...be that in cold weather or warm weather stadiums.

luckyseven
02-20-2014, 02:25 AM
LBs usually dont get paid as good as top tier WRs. That wasnt even the point though. The point is Decker will go wherever he feels like its meant to be for the right amount...be that in cold weather or warm weather stadiums.

I have not said anything different than that, he will go where he gets the best deal for him and his family, I just doubt that it would be the Vikings because of their stadium issue the next few years. Besides that is they are primarily and run first team, while he is a geat downfield blocker I suspect he'd rather be catching the ball.

SR
02-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Yeah. That's why. Or it could be that everyone else in the passing game friggin disappeared and the coaches exposed a good matchup. I mean, it's not like DT set a Super Bowl record for receptions or anything.

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 07:15 AM

What other wide receiver was Tom Brady throwing to?

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Who? Nicks has been brought up but if production is production then he hasn't produced for the for the most part.

SR
02-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Who? Nicks has been brought up but if production is production then he hasn't produced for the for the most part.

He definitely hasn't lived up to being the 29th overall pick in 2009, but he has still produced. He's produced more along the lines you'd see a typical number two guy produce.

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 07:32 AM
He definitely hasn't lived up to being the 29th overall pick in 2009, but he has still produced. He's produced more along the lines you'd see a typical number two guy produce.

He has only two productive season out the six that he has been in the League.

SR
02-20-2014, 07:57 AM
He has only two productive season out the six that he has been in the League. Guess when your definition of production is a 1000 yard season...

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Guess when your definition of production is a 1000 yard season...

Given that the NFL is passing League yes.

SR
02-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Given that the NFL is passing League yes.

So the dozens of receivers in the NFL that don't grab 1K aren't "productive". Got it. Sorry, Welker.

TXBRONC
02-20-2014, 08:15 AM
So the dozens of receivers in the NFL that don't grab 1K aren't "productive". Got it. Sorry, Welker.

I forgive you because Welker wasn't the number 2 reciever he was the 3rd option.