PDA

View Full Version : FA Daryl Smith-ILB Ravens

Traveler
02-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Broncos mentioned as possible suitor for this guy....

CSN Baltimore’s Clifton Brown reports that two of Smith’s “potential suitors” are the Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans, and I’m sure those aren’t the only two teams who will want to go after one of the league’s most well-rounded ILBs. Smith had 123 tackles with five sacks, three interceptions, and an insane 19 passes defended last season. He has elite coverage skills at the position, is a great blitzer, plays the run at a very high level, and he has all the intangibles that teams look for in a 31-year-old leader at the position. After proving himself on that one-year deal, he has put himself in a position to earn big bucks on a multi-year contract.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/02/16/nfl-rumors-broncos-titans-show-interest-daryl-smith/

Comments?

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
If he comes with hefty price tag I don't think Denver will be interested.

Ziggy
02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Phenomenal player, and just what the defense needs. Put him between Von and Trev and Denver has the best trio of 4-3 LBers in the NFL. He's a leader and a 4 down MLBer that brings some nastiness to the D. He's be a perfect fit.

underrated29
02-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I'd rather have him then decker on the team.

Joel
02-16-2014, 02:49 PM
I'd rather have him then decker on the team.
Fer sure. I don't know the guy, but the description sounds like exactly what I want in a Mike: He covers, run stuffs AND blitzes well, plus it sounds like he has the experience and savvy run the D from its center. Would I rather spend $6-8 million for a #2 WR on a team with 2 Pro Bowl WRs and a Pro Bowl receiving TE, or the first legit defensive QB we've had since 2005? Easy question.

The REAL question is whether the FO sees it the same way; if I and they placed the same value on Mikes I wouldn't have spent the better part of a decade screaming for one annually.

dogfish
02-16-2014, 03:00 PM
great fit. . . i've liked the guy since the jags first drafted him out of ga. tech. . . would be just what we need at the position. . .

OrangeHoof
02-16-2014, 03:04 PM
You may have missed this part, Joel...

After proving himself on that one-year deal, he has put himself in a position to earn big bucks on a multi-year contract.

He's probably going to cost too much but he would be a good get if Elway can work his magic.

UnderArmour
02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
You may have missed this part, Joel...

He's probably going to cost too much but he would be a good get if Elway can work his magic.

He won't get a contract bigger than Ellerbe got last offseason, so somewhere less than four-five years and $30-35 million and under $15 million in guarantees. We will end up settling for another veteran fill-in and maybe addressing it through the draft. There are just too many players the Broncos have to pay the next two years. With Terrance Knighton and Demaryius Thomas set to become FAs next offseason and then Chris Harris/Von Miller potentially warranting paydays next year too, signing any expensive free agents almost certainly means letting one of them walk at some point.

NightTerror218
02-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Would be awesome but unlikely unless elway gets a steal of a deal

slim
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
31 year old MLB? Anything more than 2 years would be pretty risky.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2014, 07:27 PM
He's behind Donald Butler due to age, among other things, you gotta think he'd come cheaper though. Has a history with Del Rio?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
He's one of only 3 guys I think would be a good fit in our scheme. It will be interesting to see if Denver can land a guy like him and Jared Allen.

dogfish
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
He's behind Donald Butler due to age, among other things, you gotta think he'd come cheaper though. Has a history with Del Rio?

yep. . . jax drafted him, he was a starter for JDR for the length of his rookie deal, four or five years. . .

underrated29
02-16-2014, 10:07 PM
He's one of only 3 guys I think would be a good fit in our scheme. It will be interesting to see if Denver can land a guy like him and Jared Allen.

I'd call the offseason a wrap if we can land both of those guys.

WARHORSE
02-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Id like Rey from Cincy for the middle. Smith would be a big upgrade though for sure.

dogfish
02-17-2014, 01:15 AM
I'd call the offseason a wrap if we can land both of those guys.

jared allen is the one guy i want the most in free agency, and i think it's a legit possibility. . . i'd happily take an off-season that centered around re-signing DRC (or adding a comparable talent like verner or vontae davis), getting allen, and just adding competition at MIKE with one of our higher picks. . . we'll see if the coaches think irving can play inside, but he looked good enough to me down the stretch that i'd feel comfortable with him as a two-down starter if he can handle the middle. . . i do think he comes down hill physically enough to play MIKE if he can handle the mental aspects, but that part IS easier here, where trevathan's already comfortable and established as the guy that wears the green dot and makes the calls for the front seven. . . gap discipline and some coverage are the things nate needs to show-- and he actually had one of the few bright plays of the stupid bowl when he broke up that pass for kearse (a wide receiver) in the end zone. . .

NOT that i wouldn't like to sign smith, or war's guy rey for that matter. . . i'd love to. . . allen would be my absolute top priority, though-- we should already have a solid offer in to his agent. . . he's exactly what we need-- a leader, a playmaker, and just an all-around ass-kicker. . . seriously, another KC defensive end, alte in his career? except allen is even better than neil smith. . . dude draws huge respect around the league, he'd be the unquestioned leader on that side of the ball by the end of OTAs. . . and as hard as he's busted his ass on crap teams with no offense, how good would he be on a team where he just has to be the best player on one unit? how good could he be if we get a healthy von on the other side by the end of the year, and allen doesn't even have to be the man on that side of the ball every down, and fight double and triple teams?

the guy's been such a grinder, he'd bring instant accountability and improved toughness where we need them the most. . . and you know he has to be hungry to compete at the highest level. . . he's made a ton, and accomplished everything he can in the game besides seeing significant post-season success. . . great fit here on a ton of levels. . . seattle brought in bennett and avril last off-season to get them over the top-- let's go get allen to do the same. . .

TXBRONC
02-17-2014, 07:56 AM
jared allen is the one guy i want the most in free agency, and i think it's a legit possibility. . . i'd happily take an off-season that centered around re-signing DRC (or adding a comparable talent like verner or vontae davis), getting allen, and just adding competition at MIKE with one of our higher picks. . . we'll see if the coaches think irving can play inside, but he looked good enough to me down the stretch that i'd feel comfortable with him as a two-down starter if he can handle the middle. . . i do think he comes down hill physically enough to play MIKE if he can handle the mental aspects, but that part IS easier here, where trevathan's already comfortable and established as the guy that wears the green dot and makes the calls for the front seven. . . gap discipline and some coverage are the things nate needs to show-- and he actually had one of the few bright plays of the stupid bowl when he broke up that pass for kearse (a wide receiver) in the end zone. . .

NOT that i wouldn't like to sign smith, or war's guy rey for that matter. . . i'd love to. . . allen would be my absolute top priority, though-- we should already have a solid offer in to his agent. . . he's exactly what we need-- a leader, a playmaker, and just an all-around ass-kicker. . . seriously, another KC defensive end, alte in his career? except allen is even better than neil smith. . . dude draws huge respect around the league, he'd be the unquestioned leader on that side of the ball by the end of OTAs. . . and as hard as he's busted his ass on crap teams with no offense, how good would he be on a team where he just has to be the best player on one unit? how good could he be if we get a healthy von on the other side by the end of the year, and allen doesn't even have to be the man on that side of the ball every down, and fight double and triple teams?

the guy's been such a grinder, he'd bring instant accountability and improved toughness where we need them the most. . . and you know he has to be hungry to compete at the highest level. . . he's made a ton, and accomplished everything he can in the game besides seeing significant post-season success. . . great fit here on a ton of levels. . . seattle brought in bennett and avril last off-season to get them over the top-- let's go get allen to do the same. . .

I like you're sale pitch but I don't know Dog Elway hasn't been one to venture into the high end of free agency market other than Manning so it seems like this might be a long shot.

slim
02-17-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm glad someone else is finally willing to talk about Irving in the middle. ..took you long enough.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm glad someone else is finally willing to talk about Irving in the middle. ..took you long enough.

Who mentioned Irving?

slim
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Dogfish...lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Dogfish...lol

I like Nate. I'm in the minority that believes he's got a shot to win the Mike job.

TXBRONC
02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
I like Nate. I'm in the minority that believes he's got a shot to win the Mike job.

I right there with you.

broncofaninfla
02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Smith is a proven impact Mike with connections to JDR. If it doesn't break the bank I'd love to sign this guy. He's a huge upgrade over any Mike we currently have and this is def a position of need.

Traveler
02-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Didn't they try this already? Irving is better suited to SLB IMO. He played the position very well filling in for Miller. Not so much in the middle. We need a three down player at that position with great instincts and coverage ability.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Didn't they try this already? Irving is better suited to SLB IMO. He played the position very well filling in for Miller. Not so much in the middle. We need a three down player at that position with great instincts and coverage ability.

One year the effort was derailed due to Nate not being fully recovered from injury. He didn't fail in TC in 13'. He was first on the depth chart at Mike, but the team moved him to SAM when they realized Miller was going to miss significant time.

I don't think anyone honestly knows how the team feels about him at Mike. I'm just going by what I see with him on the field. He's physical and athletic. I honestly don't know how he would do with the mental side of it, but he seemed to do really well with it in the last half of the season at SAM.

spikerman
02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
He's been in the league long enough now that I think if he was going to assert himself in the middle he would have done it already. Good depth, but the team needs to look elsewhere for the starter.

Joel
02-17-2014, 06:50 PM
He's been in the league long enough now that I think if he was going to assert himself in the middle he would have done it already. Good depth, but the team needs to look elsewhere for the starter.
That's where I am on Irving. Okay, he missed ONE season to injury, but we drafted in him in the third round to be our starting Mike and he hasn't managed to crack the lineup as more than a backup Sam in THREE seasons of trying. Sure, he's a strong downhill run-stopper for first and second down: That's a classic Sam, NOT a Mike, who must also cover well enough to play ALL downs. Sam's first off the field in nickel; Mike stays, so even the most glowing descriptions of Irving put him in the former category.

As to the price tag on Smith, again, $6-8 million/year for the first legit Mike we've had in just under a decade would be more than worth it. Even if he didn't play Mike (though our great need there makes it hard to imagine he wouldn't) a guy good at ALL things—run stuffing, covering RBs and TEs over the middle AND blitzing—would be an invaluable asset. Not saying it must be Smith, especially since he is >30, but if he can do that job and has three good seasons left in him, $30-35 million over 4-5 years sounds not only fair, but desirable. Just hope the FO agrees.

RebelRocker
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Well for whatever reason, it seems like JDR likes a veteran in the ILB spot. Between that, Smith's productivity and history with JDR, I'd say it's a strong possibility. The question is, how much is he asking and how long can he still be an impact player? It's one thing to get him on a two year deal like Knighton and Adams, but how much of his money will be guaranteed?

slim
02-17-2014, 08:08 PM

He is a beast against the run.

dogfish
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
I like you're sale pitch but I don't know Dog Elway hasn't been one to venture into the high end of free agency market other than Manning so it seems like this might be a long shot.

i wouldn't say that. . . luis vasquez was probably the top guard on the market, and welker's a big name as well. . . obviously, we have to operate under the cap, but elway hasn't been afraid to go after impact guys in FA. . . with philips hitting free agency and the price on edge rushers coming down the last two years, i very mcuh think allen will be on our radar-- unless we happen to re-sign philips quickly (which doesn't look like a priority), i really expect us to make a serious run at JA. . .

NightTerror218
02-17-2014, 08:51 PM
He is a beast against the run.

Our d-line did awesome against the run. We need a leader who has speed and not a liability in the passing game. Teams pass a lot against Broncos which would neutralize Irving. Yes he can stuff run but that is all I have seen. Can he get to QB on a blitz or cover a TE?

WARHORSE
02-18-2014, 02:26 AM
I like it. He already knows JDRs system. The guy can still bring it. Under the right contract.....good move imo.

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/02/16/report-denver-broncos-expected-show-interest-ilb-daryl-smith/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Dapper Dan
02-18-2014, 03:06 AM
I like it. He already knows JDRs system. The guy can still bring it. Under the right contract.....good move imo.

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/02/16/report-denver-broncos-expected-show-interest-ilb-daryl-smith/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

I've always kinda liked him. He's nothing special, but seems solid. I'd be happy with him.

Lancane
02-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Man, where to start? This thread is all over the place.

Irving has had three years to make an impact, two if you discard his time injured. And I am pretty sure the Broncos are looking at the fact that Danny Trevathan a 6th Round Pick in 2012 came on after one year season to break into the starting lineup of the linebacker corps., a corps. I might add that in all honesty other then Miller was feeble to a point. Irving isn't going anywhere just yet, he'll play out his rookie contract but I suspect that Denver is not looking to pencil him in as the starter at the middle position. The Broncos saw a huge shift in the play of the defense once Paris Lenon took over. While I believe Irving has the tools, I believe he lacks in certain skills that make a Mike linebacker successful at this level. He'll likely get the chance to challenge at the position, but that is where I think this hoopla ends. You got to love the optimism of our fans though, so many of us believe that because they don a Broncos jersey that they're more then meets the eye (pun intended), we can go back over the past decade and find fans clamoring for certain players to be starters at certain positions, even when they prove they are not up to the standard.

Regarding the whole Jared Allen debate, Allen will not be coming to Denver in my honest opinion. According to the NFLN, Shaun Phillips and the Denver Broncos are currently working out a contract and unless there is a snag or Phillips' agent is asking too much then I don't see Denver making a move on the likes of Allen when he'll likely cost double what Phillips will with all his accolades. Phillips is not a long-term answer and is capable, Allen is better overall as a playmaker and athlete, but he'll be in high demand despite his age and his price tag in comparison to Phillips. The Broncos are also pretty high on Quanterus Smith who should be ready to go and will likely play behind Phillips. Denver might look at Free Agent Defensive Ends, but more then likely for depth unless Wolfe is worse off then we believe, and if that is the case Denver will likely sign a veteran and draft someone to boot. I wouldn't mind if Denver brought in Allen, I just don't see Elway worrying about the defensive line to that extent nor dishing out money for two sack artists in the same off-season.

As to Daryl Smith, I could see the Broncos bringing him in. It makes sense in a lot of ways and there is the player-coach connection that should be watched for. He knows the position, he's an immediate upgrade and has the leadership qualities that we've been lacking. It will really depends on if he wants to come here, his family calls Baltimore home and he'll likely return to the Ravens at discount then take a bigger contract at this point in his career instead of taking a job away from his family or even relocating them. The only way I could see this happening is if the Ravens only offer him another one year deal and the Broncos offer him a contract that is two to three years in length. Just my opinion of course, but those are factors that could come into play. Even if Smith could be lured away, I believe the Broncos have to draft someone to groom behind him and be his eventual successor or they may draft the next starting Mike outright instead of overspending on a veteran or giving Irving the spot without earning it due to lack of bodies.

Lancane
02-18-2014, 03:21 AM
The title of the thread is misleading, the headline says interested in while the report said could be.

SR
02-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Repost

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Speculation

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
No offense but if Denver is not interested in Allen they're in denial, any DE for that matter. They have clear and obvious pass rush issues that Phillips can't, and didn't, solve on his own and he simply can not be the reason the Broncos ignore the position. The Broncos were interested in Allen before the deadline last season, and that's with a healthy Von Miller and Phillips, the hang up was Allen's cap number, not the notion that they were set at the position.

Quanteris Smith helps, in theory, but let's say he is healthy and ready to contribute, it's a huge leap of faith to suggest he's the opening day starter. The Broncos don't even have a starter at the position.

Personally, I like the idea of signing Lamarr Houston to play RDE in base defense, moving him around in sub packages to make room for Smith and Phillips coming off the bench.

Granted that's a real pie-in-the-sky scenario but this is Dream Season. Speaking of which, if Denver thinks they're even close to where they need at DE they're dreaming.

Traveler
02-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Think I'm experiencing deja vu. I've seen this before somewhere.....:D

Traveler
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
The more pass rushers, the better. Similar to what SEA did to us, gotta keep em' coming in waves.

TXBRONC
02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Our d-line did awesome against the run. We need a leader who has speed and not a liability in the passing game. Teams pass a lot against Broncos which would neutralize Irving. Yes he can stuff run but that is all I have seen. Can he get to QB on a blitz or cover a TE?

It will neutralize most middle linebackers. There just aren't that many Luke Kuechlys out there who by the way was a top ten pick.

TXBRONC
02-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Man, where to start? This thread is all over the place.

Irving has had three years to make an impact, two if you discard his time injured. And I am pretty sure the Broncos are looking at the fact that Danny Trevathan a 6th Round Pick in 2012 came on after one year season to break into the starting lineup of the linebacker corps., a corps. I might add that in all honesty other then Miller was feeble to a point. Irving isn't going anywhere just yet, he'll play out his rookie contract but I suspect that Denver is not looking to pencil him in as the starter at the middle position. The Broncos saw a huge shift in the play of the defense once Paris Lenon took over. While I believe Irving has the tools, I believe he lacks in certain skills that make a Mike linebacker successful at this level. He'll likely get the chance to challenge at the position, but that is where I think this hoopla ends. You got to love the optimism of our fans though, so many of us believe that because they don a Broncos jersey that they're more then meets the eye (pun intended), we can go back over the past decade and find fans clamoring for certain players to be starters at certain positions, even when they prove they are not up to the standard.

Regarding the whole Jared Allen debate, Allen will not be coming to Denver in my honest opinion. According to the NFLN, Shaun Phillips and the Denver Broncos are currently working out a contract and unless there is a snag or Phillips' agent is asking too much then I don't see Denver making a move on the likes of Allen when he'll likely cost double what Phillips will with all his accolades. Phillips is not a long-term answer and is capable, Allen is better overall as a playmaker and athlete, but he'll be in high demand despite his age and his price tag in comparison to Phillips. The Broncos are also pretty high on Quanterus Smith who should be ready to go and will likely play behind Phillips. Denver might look at Free Agent Defensive Ends, but more then likely for depth unless Wolfe is worse off then we believe, and if that is the case Denver will likely sign a veteran and draft someone to boot. I wouldn't mind if Denver brought in Allen, I just don't see Elway worrying about the defensive line to that extent nor dishing out money for two sack artists in the same off-season.

As to Daryl Smith, I could see the Broncos bringing him in. It makes sense in a lot of ways and there is the player-coach connection that should be watched for. He knows the position, he's an immediate upgrade and has the leadership qualities that we've been lacking. It will really depends on if he wants to come here, his family calls Baltimore home and he'll likely return to the Ravens at discount then take a bigger contract at this point in his career instead of taking a job away from his family or even relocating them. The only way I could see this happening is if the Ravens only offer him another one year deal and the Broncos offer him a contract that is two to three years in length. Just my opinion of course, but those are factors that could come into play. Even if Smith could be lured away, I believe the Broncos have to draft someone to groom behind him and be his eventual successor or they may draft the next starting Mike outright instead of overspending on a veteran or giving Irving the spot without earning it due to lack of bodies.

IIRC Denver's plan for Phillips wasn't to have on the field as much as they were forced to by circumstance.

Phillips being signed wouldn't have much to do with signing Allen because I don't see Phillips getting a huge contract even though he had 10 sacks. That said, I still agree with you that I don't see Denver making offer for him. But my thought is based on how Elway has handled free agency since he took over as V.P of player personnel. Manning is only truly high profile player that he went after in free agency. Everyone else pretty much second tier.

I'm not so sure that will give up on Irving just yet.

topscribe
02-18-2014, 12:46 PM
No offense but if Denver is not interested in Allen they're in denial, any DE for that matter. They have clear and obvious pass rush issues that Phillips can't, and didn't, solve on his own and he simply can not be the reason the Broncos ignore the position. The Broncos were interested in Allen before the deadline last season, and that's with a healthy Von Miller and Phillips, the hang up was Allen's cap number, not the notion that they were set at the position.

Quanteris Smith helps, in theory, but let's say he is healthy and ready to contribute, it's a huge leap of faith to suggest he's the opening day starter. The Broncos don't even have a starter at the position.

Personally, I like the idea of signing Lamarr Houston to play RDE in base defense, moving him around in sub packages to make room for Smith and Phillips coming off the bench.

Granted that's a real pie-in-the-sky scenario but this is Dream Season. Speaking of which, if Denver thinks they're even close to where they need at DE they're dreaming.
I don't disagree with you very often, buddy -- in fact, we think alike more often
than I care to imagine. lol

But, frankly, Jared Allen doesn't interest me. I'm not enthralled by bringing in a DE
who is as old as I am. His skills have diminished, and Phillips proved to be a far
better all around player than Allen this last year, IMO.

In that interest, we have two starting DEs: Ayers and Phillips. The Broncos aren't
going to find a better run-stopper at the position than Ayers, IMO, and Phillips is
a pretty good pass rusher and decent against the run.

What is needed is for Von Miller to return as his old svelte, 240 lb. self. With his
presence, Philips, Malik Jackson, Q. Smith, and Ayers will suddenly become better
pass rushers, as well as Knighton and Williams inside. Just the return of Miller will
vault Denver's pass rush to the upper echelon of the league, IMO.

I just don't see the defensive line as an urgency, pending Miller's health, of course.
I believe the Broncos may be better served by concentrating primarily on MLB and
safety, and OT/OG on the other side of the line.

Just my thoughts -- but with an open mind.

topscribe
02-18-2014, 12:53 PM
IIRC Denver's plan for Phillips wasn't to have on the field as much as they were forced to by circumstance.

Phillips being signed wouldn't have much to do with signing Allen because I don't see Phillips getting a huge contract even though he had 10 sacks. That said, I still agree with you that I don't see Denver making offer for him. But my thought is based on how Elway has handled free agency since he took over as V.P of player personnel. Manning is only truly high profile player that he went after in free agency. Everyone else pretty much second tier.

Irving is valuable as a quality backup at Sam and on STs. I don't see him as the
stud in the middle that the Broncos need. I believe they would be better served
by going after Smith in FA (probably unlikely) or Kyle Van Noy or (preferably)
Ryan Shazier in the draft. They really need an enforcer in the middle.

But I don't see Irving going anywhere. It seems to me that he's proven himself
as a viable cog in the defense and on STs.

underrated29
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM

I disagree with ya there buddy. Vasquez is/was not a 2nd tier fa...he was the 2nd best OL on the market behind Levitre- and we went after him too. Those are both the top two at that position. Then manning we know, but DRC had one bad year after being traded. Its not like he was a journey man or anything. He made the probowl with the cards and was one of the big bargaining pieces in the trade.

We went after Rashard Mendenhall who was one of the top backs (but we missed on him).
Wes Welker is aboslutely a top tier FA.

So I would say he definitely does and has locked up 3 top tier free agents.

Lan- I strongly think we go after allen. We went hard after him at trade deadline and Ian Rappaport has already reported we are looking again. He makes perfect sense for this team and while a lot are high on Q Smith (im not sold yet but thats another matter) Q has zero run stuffing ability. He can rush the passer great but nothing against the run. Allen is Beastly at both.

IF we get allen smith and a wr like James Jones...I would be fine with that and moving straight to the draft.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't disagree with you very often, buddy -- in fact, we think alike more often

But, frankly, Jared Allen doesn't interest me. I'm not enthralled by bringing in a DE
who is as old as I am. His skills have diminished, and Phillips proved to be a far

In that interest, we have two starting DEs: Ayers and Phillips. The Broncos aren't
going to find a better run-stopper at the position than Ayers, IMO, and Phillips is

What is needed is for Von Miller to return as his old svelte, 240 lb. self. With his
presence, Philips, Malik Jackson, Q. Smith, and Ayers will suddenly become better
pass rushers, as well as Knighton and Williams inside. Just the return of Miller will

I just don't see the defensive line as an urgency, pending Miller's health, of course.
I believe the Broncos may be better served by concentrating primarily on MLB and

I have to disagree. First, I dont think Allen's skills have diminished. What I saw from him last year was a guy that seems disinterested on the defense he played on. But he still netted 11.5 sacks. I think on a team with a future, he would be more invigorated.

Secondly...if we go into next season with the plan to get all of our pass rush from the "Miller Effect", then we are in trouble. Probably not the best idea to funnel your ability to get to the QB through one player. We need a guy that can create his own pass rush and HELP Miller. If you have a guy on each end that can get there on his own, it opens up a lot for the rest of the defense. Ayers is not that guy, Phillips was always better when Miller was on the field and no one can even guess what Q brings to the table...if he ever does.

We definitely needs MLB and safety help, but ignoring the pass rush would be a huge mistake. Defense needs to be our focus

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I have to disagree. First, I dont think Allen's skills have diminished. What I saw from him last year was a guy that seems disinterested on the defense he played on. But he still netted 11.5 sacks. I think on a team with a future, he would be more invigorated.

Secondly...if we go into next season with the plan to get all of our pass rush from the "Miller Effect", then we are in trouble. Probably not the best idea to funnel your ability to get to the QB through one player. We need a guy that can create his own pass rush and HELP Miller. If you have a guy on each end that can get there on his own, it opens up a lot for the rest of the defense. Ayers is not that guy, Phillips was always better when Miller was on the field and no one can even guess what Q brings to the table...if he ever does.

We definitely needs MLB and safety help, but ignoring the pass rush would be a huge mistake. Defense needs to be our focus

He also netted 4.5 sacks in the last 3 games, which is a really good sign. I would love to have Allen. He'd be great at RDE. That would give us a lot of flexibility in passing situations. It might leave us a little vulnerable to the draw though, especially if Derek Wolfe is the biggest guy left on the field.

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
He also netted 4.5 sacks in the last 3 games, which is a really good sign. I would love to have Allen. He'd be great at RDE. That would give us a lot of flexibility in passing situations. It might leave us a little vulnerable to the draw though, especially if Derek Wolfe is the biggest guy left on the field.

Cant have everything, I suppose

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Cant have everything, I suppose

That's true, If we want all 3 guys on the field I suppose we could just leave Knighton or Vickerson at the 0 technique. I say bring 5. :D

topscribe
02-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Of course, Phillips was better when Miller was on the field! That's what I'm talking
about. Miller isn't just about one guy. He raises the performance of the entire
defense. He takes double teams off of the others. He distracts attention away
from the others.

So Allen had 11.5 sacks, and Phillips had 10. So what do they do, dump Phillips
with 10 for a high priced Allen with 11.5? Denver could have had Allen last year,
but Allen wanted the entire farm. Denver was pretty good at times in the pass
rush without Von. They were just sporadic. Von removes the sporadic.

The DL has its personnel. Go where the holes are, such as MLB, safety, O-line.
The Broncos don't need a player with maybe a slight advantage eating up CAP
space that would best be served on more needed players, IMO.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Of course, Phillips was better when Miller was on the field! That's what I'm talking
about. Miller isn't just about one guy. He raises the performance of the entire
defense. He takes double teams off of the others. He distracts attention away
from the others.

So Allen had 11.5 sacks, and Phillips had 10. So what do they do, dump Phillips
with 10 for a high priced Allen with 11.5? Denver could have had Allen last year,
but Allen wanted the entire farm. Denver was pretty good at times in the pass
rush without Von. They were just sporadic. Von removes the sporadic.

The DL has its personnel. Go where the holes are, such as MLB, safety, O-line.
The Broncos don't need a player with maybe a slight advantage eating up CAP
space that would best be served on more needed players, IMO.

It didn't have anything to do with what Allen wanted. The problem was his cap number under the contract he already had. Rumors are he doesn't care about money so much on this next contract, but cares more about going to a contender.

dogfish
02-18-2014, 04:11 PM
jared allen would be our neil smith signing, straight up. . .

underrated29
02-18-2014, 04:13 PM

He, Delmas, Daryl, James Jones, Asamoah.....Give me three out of 4 and a draft with 2 starters and I say we are back to the big dance.

topscribe
02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I have ever been wrong...I think...I'm sure I was
once before, but I can't remember when...

underrated29
02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I have ever been wrong...I think...I'm sure I was
once before, but I can't remember when...

You good sir topscribe are infallible.

- Kyle Orton

:D

CoachChaz
02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
He, Delmas, Daryl, James Jones, Asamoah.....Give me three out of 4 and a draft with 2 starters and I say we are back to the big dance.

We'd better count our stars if we get 2 of those.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:08 PM

How dare you?

TXBRONC
02-18-2014, 06:10 PM
I disagree with ya there buddy. Vasquez is/was not a 2nd tier fa...he was the 2nd best OL on the market behind Levitre- and we went after him too. Those are both the top two at that position. Then manning we know, but DRC had one bad year after being traded. Its not like he was a journey man or anything. He made the probowl with the cards and was one of the big bargaining pieces in the trade.

We went after Rashard Mendenhall who was one of the top backs (but we missed on him).
Wes Welker is aboslutely a top tier FA.

So I would say he definitely does and has locked up 3 top tier free agents.

Lan- I strongly think we go after allen. We went hard after him at trade deadline and Ian Rappaport has already reported we are looking again. He makes perfect sense for this team and while a lot are high on Q Smith (im not sold yet but thats another matter) Q has zero run stuffing ability. He can rush the passer great but nothing against the run. Allen is Beastly at both.

IF we get allen smith and a wr like James Jones...I would be fine with that and moving straight to the draft.

First of all I said pretty much every else is. Manning is the only one who came with a top dollar price tag. No DRC had a bad run year Philadelphia if it was just one bad year Denver doesn't get him for the price they did. Like it not Elway generally doesn't venture into the deepest end of the free agent pool. Signing Vasquez was good signing but it's not the same as signing some of the caliber Mike Iupati. Vasquez is relatively cheap compared to what it would cost to get Iupati on the open market.

From what I recall Denver didn't persue Mendenhall all that hard.

I think some of the fan base made more of the mention of trading for Allen than what the reality of the situation was. Elway isn't about mortage the future for high priced veteran especially one at the end of his career.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Mendenhall never made it out of Arizona, they gave him an offer that expired the second he walked out the door, he chose wrong.

TXBRONC
02-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Mendenhall never made it out of Arizona, they gave him an offer that expired the second he walked out the door, he chose wrong.

Aint that the truth.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Aint that the truth.

Worked out well for the Broncos though.

TXBRONC
02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Worked out well for the Broncos though.

Agreed.

dogfish
02-23-2014, 04:15 PM
The Ravens have several impending free agents on their roster and General Manager Ozzie Newsome is getting to work on keeping some of them off the market.

One of the players they’d like to keep is linebacker Daryl Smith. Smith signed with the team last year after he was cut by the Jaguars and rarely came off the field for the Ravens during the regular season. He finished the year with 123 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions.

“Daryl did a great job for us,” Newsome said, via the team’s website. “We have engaged in some conversations with his representative.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/23/ravens-talking-to-daryl-smith-about-remaining-with-team/

spikerman
02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/23/ravens-talking-to-daryl-smith-about-remaining-with-team/

Well, crap.

TXBRONC
02-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Well thank you for the little ray of sunshine Dog. :tsk:

luckyseven
02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
i wouldn't say that. . . luis vasquez was probably the top guard on the market, and welker's a big name as well. . . obviously, we have to operate under the cap, but elway hasn't been afraid to go after impact guys in FA. . . with philips hitting free agency and the price on edge rushers coming down the last two years, i very mcuh think allen will be on our radar-- unless we happen to re-sign philips quickly (which doesn't look like a priority), i really expect us to make a serious run at JA. . .

yet none of them received HIGH end contracts up front.

luckyseven
02-25-2014, 01:04 AM

Ozzie is a top GM, keeping affordable talent when they get it. Lets hope that John is able to do the same down the road.

dogfish
02-25-2014, 02:03 AM
Ozzie is a top GM, keeping affordable talent when they get it. Lets hope that John is able to do the same down the road.

i don't hope he can do it down the road. . . i think he can do it now. . .

my exhibit A; watch knowshon come back on a very friendly deal for the next couple of years. . .

but really, if anyone questions JFE's ability to retain the right players on the cheap, just watch him bring back chris harris at a cool mil or two like a f***ing boss. . .

:defense:

G_Money
02-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Are you saying Elway smashed Chris Harris in the knee so he could only get the one-year RFA tender?

If so, I wish he woulda waited til at least the 2nd half of the Super Bowl...

~G

luckyseven
02-25-2014, 10:52 PM

my exhibit A; watch knowshon come back on a very friendly deal for the next couple of years. . .

but really, if anyone questions JFE's ability to retain the right players on the cheap, just watch him bring back chris harris at a cool mil or two like a f***ing boss. . .

I was really thinking I want him to be as good as he has been, for the next decade or more.
Overall his acquisition skills have been the best we have had.
bringing in cheap outstanding talent if for nothing more than a year or two has kept us very competitive.

Lancane
02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Being that Harris is Restricted and coming off an injury that wouldn't be all that surprising. I'd be more impressed if he could re-sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for less then 10 million a year and not allow him to go elsewhere.