PDA

View Full Version : HDTVs

Buff
02-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Here's what I'm thinking - LED, 1080p, 120hz, 50-55". I'm not trying to break the bank here - something in the $500-$700 range.

I'd like to get a Samsung but I think they are going to be too expensive... So does anyone have thoughts on other brands? Sony, Vizio, LG?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2014, 08:37 PM
That's actually what I will probably do with my next tv. Right now I have a 40" lcd. IMO, Sony and Samsung are going to be very similar in price and quality. Your best bang for buck might be LG or Vizio.

Shazam!
02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Just got a 55" LED Sanyo at Walmart for $488. With a lil research, turns out to be produced by Panasonic, and has the guts of a Viera.

My only gripe is it has no digital optical, so I had to use standard cables.

I have a 42" Zenith plasma that has the best picture quality, it's actually made by LG, similar to the Sanyo. They can be found at Sears as Kmart. I always wanted the 55" one...

I think im the only person who thinks modern plasma sets offer the best picture quality. I have LED, LCD, and plasma, and I think it has the best quality.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Here's what I'm thinking - LED, 1080p, 120hz, 50-55". I'm not trying to break the bank here - something in the $500-$700 range.

I'd like to get a Samsung but I think they are going to be too expensive... So does anyone have thoughts on other brands? Sony, Vizio, LG?

Best Buy - Samsung - exactly what you want - $799.00 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv/1611413.p?id=1219057058728&skuId=1611413&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=3

Buff
02-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Best Buy - Samsung - exactly what you want - $799.00 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv/1611413.p?id=1219057058728&skuId=1611413&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=3

I need that to be $200 cheaper. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
02-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I need that to be $200 cheaper. ;)

Check these tvs at American Furniture

http://www.afwonline.com/furniture/electronics/led-hdtvs

ALSO - clean out your pm box - LOL

Timmy!
02-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Last August I bought a 46" Westinghouse from Walmart. Its only 60hrz, but 1080p LCD, tons of inputs. I was leary to buy a cheap brand, but it has been really solid. $349.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Last August I bought a 46" Westinghouse from Walmart. Its only 60hrz, but 1080p LCD, tons of inputs. I was leary to buy a cheap brand, but it has been really solid. $349.

I have the 40", same thing. The quality has been great. The picture has been better than anything else I've seen in its price range.

Timmy!
02-15-2014, 11:35 PM
I have the 40", same thing. The quality has been great. The picture has been better than anything else I've seen in its price range.

I've been impressed. The only part of it that I thought was shitty build quality is the stand.

MasterShake
02-16-2014, 12:09 AM
LG and Sharp have some great cheaper HDTVs. I still have my 2008 Sharp Aquos and I think those have dropped in price. It's a good all around set and still looks great today. I'm holding out for the 4k TVs to drop in price before upgrading.

turftoad
02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Buff, I just bought a 50" 1080-120 for my step son as a house warming gift. Got it at Best Buy. It's a Toshiba. Has a great picture. Paid $599 for it. Don't get a 60 if you are going to watch a lot of sports. The 120 has much more catch up speed.

Slick
02-16-2014, 02:31 PM
My step Dads Samsung blows my LG away. I regret not spending the extra money.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2014, 03:00 PM

I agree - better to spend the extra money and be totally satisfied.

turftoad
02-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I agree - better to spend the extra money and be totally satisfied.

I agree. I have a Sony XBR 55", 1080 - 240 with all the crap on it. That thing wasn't cheap but it is awesome!!

The Toshiba that I told Buff about is great bang for the buck though. Toshiba makes decent stuff. I have the same TV in my garage.

Dapper Dan
02-16-2014, 03:15 PM
I sit really close to my 26 inch TV.

turftoad
02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I agree. I have a Sony XBR 55", 1080 - 240 with all the crap on it. That thing wasn't cheap but it is awesome!!

The Toshiba that I told Buff about is great bang for the buck though. Toshiba makes decent stuff. I have the same TV in my garage.

Oh, and that Toshiba is an LED not an LCD.

Shazam!
02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Are you sure it's calibrated correctly?

LG's aren't crap tvs.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2014, 07:15 PM

LG's aren't crap tvs.

How do you calibrate a tv? One of my Samsung was a display, as it is the one I wanted and there were no more in stock. The picture is great, because the display models are calibrated. My other Samsung was not a display, and is not calibrated. I sure would like the picture on it to look as great as the calibrated one.

Slick
02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

LG's aren't crap tvs.

I think so. I mean I adjusted all the levels and stuff. I just chose a picture quality called vivid instead of some custom one I had made and it seems a little sharper and brighter.

I'm watching netflix using my xbox360.

Canmore
02-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Buff, I just bought a 50" 1080-120 for my step son as a house warming gift. Got it at Best Buy. It's a Toshiba. Has a great picture. Paid $599 for it. Don't get a 60 if you are going to watch a lot of sports. The 120 has much more catch up speed.

You might really think about a 240 refresh rate for sports.

Shazam!
02-16-2014, 09:28 PM
By 'calibrate' I meant changing the settings - Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, viewing mode, backlighting, motion sensor, econ on/off, etc etc.

That takes a little time but is worth it.

tubby
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Buff I would go with the biggest 120hz Vizio that you can afford. Maybe the 240hz if it makes sense.

I've had a 46" Samsung for 2.5 year and love it. Bought it on amazon.

Buff
02-16-2014, 10:01 PM
As I price things out, I'm wondering if I should get a plasma instead of an LED. Seems like I could get all the picture quality I'm looking for, for a little bit cheaper than LED. So I could get a Vizio/Toshiba/LG LED or a Samsung plasma.

Is there any strong argument for not getting a plasma? I guess they aren't as energy efficient or as bright.

tubby
02-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Plasma glare is a drawback. Montag has a 60" Samsung plasma. It's spectacular. Come to think of it, the shades were always drawn.

atwater27
02-16-2014, 10:30 PM

You should never ever ever ever buy ANYTHING at best buy. One of the most marked up expensive places to buy electronics. I bought a brand new Sharp aquos at Video Only for $400 less than the same thing being sold as a freaking used floor model at Best Buy.

BroncoJoe
02-16-2014, 10:43 PM
As I price things out, I'm wondering if I should get a plasma instead of an LED. Seems like I could get all the picture quality I'm looking for, for a little bit cheaper than LED. So I could get a Vizio/Toshiba/LG LED or a Samsung plasma.

Is there any strong argument for not getting a plasma? I guess they aren't as energy efficient or as bright.

Plasma glare is a drawback. Montag has a 60" Samsung plasma. It's spectacular. Come to think of it, the shades were always drawn.

Plasma is better on the black colors, but doesn't do the whites as good as LCD/LED. It's a lot heavier too, if your planning on a wall mount. Plasma's use more power as well.

My first HDTV was plasma. Loved the picture, but started having problems after a year, then the bottom half went out. I've had several LDC/LED tv's since with no problems for a lot longer.

BroncoJoe
02-16-2014, 10:44 PM
You should never ever ever ever buy ANYTHING at best buy. One of the most marked up expensive places to buy electronics. I bought a brand new Sharp aquos at Video Only for $400 less than the same thing being sold as a freaking used floor model at Best Buy.

That's a bit extreme... Did you get fired from there in the past or something?

atwater27
02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
That's a bit extreme... Did you get fired from there in the past or something?

Dude. All you have to do is do some basic price shopping on everything in the store to find out you can get a better deal somewhere else. Their markup percentages are through the roof. I am shocked they are still in business. And by the way I'd never work for what they pay.

WTE
02-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Dude. All you have to do is do some basic price shopping on everything in the store to find out you can get a better deal somewhere else. Their markup percentages are through the roof. I am shocked they are still in business. And by the way I'd never work for what they pay.

He's right about Best Buy. They suck. They're all about the highest profit margins and trying to sell you extended warranties and over-priced cables. And their customer service is horrible b/c they're constantly in meetings training their sales staff how to sell extended warranties and over-priced cables.

Shazam!
02-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Plasma ROCKS.

turftoad
02-17-2014, 08:33 AM

I got it on sale and shopped around like crazy.

turftoad
02-17-2014, 08:36 AM
You might really think about a 240 refresh rate for sports.

He said he wanted to spend 500-700 on a 50".

SR
02-17-2014, 10:21 AM

LG sucks. Samsung and Sharp are where it's at. Sharp Quattron = win.

SR
02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
As I price things out, I'm wondering if I should get a plasma instead of an LED. Seems like I could get all the picture quality I'm looking for, for a little bit cheaper than LED. So I could get a Vizio/Toshiba/LG LED or a Samsung plasma. Is there any strong argument for not getting a plasma? I guess they aren't as energy efficient or as bright.

Good luck if you get a Vizio. If it breaks a couple years from now, good luck finding replacement parts.

SR
02-17-2014, 10:25 AM
You should never ever ever ever buy ANYTHING at best buy. One of the most marked up expensive places to buy electronics. I bought a brand new Sharp aquos at Video Only for $400 less than the same thing being sold as a freaking used floor model at Best Buy. I disagree. I bought my 60" Quattron at Best Buy for cheaper than I found it anywhere else in town. Best Buy will also price match. Just as well, the Best Buy employee that loaded the TV in to my car dicked up the headliner and they paid us $3500, so my TV was free.

SR
02-17-2014, 10:26 AM

I'm surprised that through your extensive research you haven't found that they price match. You lose. Us smart shoppers win.

atwater27
02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm surprised that through your extensive research you haven't found that they price match. You lose. Us smart shoppers win.

Why go with a place that price matches, when this proves that they were overpriced to begin with as someone sells it for a lower price? You can keep on rewarding that behavior, I won't. Smart shopper my ass.

atwater27
02-17-2014, 10:46 AM
LG sucks.
That's for sure. One of the brands across the board that salespeople will voluntarily suggest not to buy.

SR
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Why go with a place that price matches, when this proves that they were overpriced to begin with as someone sells it for a lower price? You can keep on rewarding that behavior, I won't. Smart shopper my ass. I bought two BluRay movies at Best Buy last night and with my rewards and the $15 gift card I got last time I was there as part of my purchase I paid $1.98.

Price matching isn't always a sign of overcharging. It's a way of saying "screw the competition". They price match other people's sale prices and shit, same with Lowe's. Wanna talk about overcharging? Been to Sears lately???? And they DONT price match.

BroncoJoe
02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Why go with a place that price matches, when this proves that they were overpriced to begin with as someone sells it for a lower price? You can keep on rewarding that behavior, I won't. Smart shopper my ass.

Why should they be the low cost leader if they don't have to? If people are willing to pay their price, what exactly is wrong with that? I think you're highly exaggerating what Best Buy really is for some unknown reason.

I thought you were all about capitalism.

atwater27
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Why should they be the low cost leader if they don't have to? If people are willing to pay their price, what exactly is wrong with that? I think you're highly exaggerating what Best Buy really is for some unknown reason.

I thought you were all about capitalism.
I am all about capitalism. I am also about people getting the best price they can. Just advice. It is no exaggeration. I knew a guy who managed car stereo installs for them. He told me never to get the service, because they were easily the most expensive in the industry, and also told me the same thing WTE said about the cables. Their cables are marked up hundreds of percentage points higher than they buy them for. Hell. some idiots pay damn near the same price for their HDMI cables as they did their TV. I am not making up the story about the Sharp Aquos. Why in God's name would anyone want to shop at a place that is notorious for charging too much for things, and then hoping (and they are usually right) you are too stupid to know any better? They have a right to do it, and I have a right to expose it. Costco, Amazon, Target, (Walmart has good prices, but their stuff is waaay too low end) are much better options if you want actual value. And Video Only is the gold standard for getting TV's and such for the best possible price.

atwater27
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I bought two BluRay movies at Best Buy last night and with my rewards and the $15 gift card I got last time I was there as part of my purchase I paid $1.98.

Price matching isn't always a sign of overcharging. It's a way of saying "screw the competition". They price match other people's sale prices and shit, same with Lowe's. Wanna talk about overcharging? Been to Sears lately???? And they DONT price match.
Sears is a joke. I am also surprised they are still in business.

Rex
02-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Worst store in America. And Kenmore and Craftsman products are laughable compared to past

SR
02-17-2014, 11:33 AM

They won't be much longer IMO.

SR
02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Worst store in America. And Kenmore and Craftsman products are laughable compared to past

I like the Kenmore Elite stuff. Did you know that Snap-On sells their broken metal to Craftsman who in turn melts it down to make their metal hand tools?

atwater27
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
That makes me want to buy snap on.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
I totally agree that Sears is terrible - their prices are much higher than other stores. In regards to Best Buy - I like them. Buff - they offer financing. In the past, if you paid off the purchase within a certain amount of time, there was no interest added. My sister did that when she bought her tv there. Not sure if they still offer that or not, but would be worth it to ask, if you are considering a purchase from Best Buy.

SR
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
That makes me want to buy snap on.

That's all we buy at work. Snap-On is the shit.

SR
02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
I totally agree that Sears is terrible - their prices are much higher than other stores. In regards to Best Buy - I like them. Buff - they offer financing. In the past, if you paid off the purchase within a certain amount of time, there was no interest added. My sister did that when she bought her tv there. Not sure if they still offer that or not, but would be worth it to ask, if you are considering a purchase from Best Buy.

Best Buy usually has good financing available and most of the time if you pay the balance off within a year there's no interest.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't just like Best Buy because I can get them to match prices (I can always find a competitive price there). We've bought our last two tv's and our last washing machine there because we like the customer service we receive. I have bought appliances at RC Willey before and when something went wrong I was not impressed with the way they tried to deny liability. It would take a little persuasion before I would ever buy anything at RC Willey again.

Dapper Dan
02-17-2014, 01:52 PM
WalMart is okay. I was just up there and they had some okay TVs. I think a few met Buff's criteria.

slim
02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
I have a Samsung, but then I don't have to pay $1300 a month for an apartment, so I can afford it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM
I have a Samsung, but then I don't have to pay $1300 a month for an apartment, so I can afford it.

My mortgage is less than $1300.

I really like Samsung and Sony both. My first HD tv was a 32 inch Sony. I really liked it, but the screen started to get lines in it around the 4 year mark.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM
WalMart is okay. I was just up there and they had some okay TVs. I think a few met Buff's criteria.

I am very leary of buying electronics at WalMart.

slim
02-17-2014, 02:11 PM
My mortgage is less than $1300.

I really like Samsung and Sony both. My first HD tv was a 32 inch Sony. I really liked it, but the screen started to get lines in it around the 4 year mark.

The first one I bought was some piece of crap Philips (I think)....very poor decision on part. Although I still have that TV in my bedroom.

WTE
02-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Like someone already said their TV's are mainly low-end and brands you never heard of. I was checking out TV's at Costco the other day and they have some very good deals.

slim
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Like someone already said their TV's are mainly low-end and brands you never heard of. I was checking out TV's at Costco the other day and they have some very good deals.

Last Christmas they had a 65 inch Samsung for $900 off. I really wish I would have bought it.

SR
02-17-2014, 02:17 PM
My mortgage is less than $1300. I really like Samsung and Sony both. My first HD tv was a 32 inch Sony. I really liked it, but the screen started to get lines in it around the 4 year mark.

Sony was a damn good brand until they sold out to Walmart. I won't ever buy Sony anything.

Dapper Dan
02-17-2014, 02:29 PM

I had a non-smart TV. The HDMI port stopped working. I took it back and they gave me a smart TV. I love it. I use it a lot as an extra monitor.

WTE
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Sony was a damn good brand until they sold out to Walmart. I won't ever buy Sony anything.

I was checking out 40" tv's for our bedroom b/c that's has big as I need. Costco had a Sony Bravia 1080p 60HZ for $429.00 and the picture was excellent. But the box said "Projection TV" and I was wondering if that was like those rear projection TV's from years ago where the bulbs were always known to blow. I didn't think they made a projection TV that was very slim like the Bravia.

MOtorboat
02-17-2014, 02:50 PM

I've bought two televisions and a computer there. No problems. Most current TV is a Sanyo that's still going strong after six years and two moves.

WTE
02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
The current research I'm doing on TV's indicates Sharp, Vizio and Sanyo are not getting great reviews.

SR
02-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I was checking out 40" tv's for our bedroom b/c that's has big as I need. Costco had a Sony Bravia 1080p 60HZ for $429.00 and the picture was excellent. But the box said "Projection TV" and I was wondering if that was like those rear projection TV's from years ago where the bulbs were always known to blow. I didn't think they made a projection TV that was very slim like the Bravia.

Google the model number

SR
02-17-2014, 03:58 PM
The current research I'm doing on TV's indicates Sharp, Vizio and Sanyo are not getting great reviews.

Sharp's lower end stuff is not anything special but their higher end stuff is bitchin.

WTE
02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Sharp's lower end stuff is not anything special but their higher end stuff is bitchin.

A lot of complaints about their customer service too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 04:26 PM

So, the consensus is their customer service hasn't been very sharp?

SR
02-17-2014, 04:28 PM

Haven't had any reason to call their customer service. But, most people are impossible to please anyway so stuff like that is usually not worth looking in to.

turftoad
02-17-2014, 04:52 PM

Same with Sony SR. Walmart doesn't carry Sony's higher end stuff.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 05:41 PM

About 2 years ago a guy from Walmart told me Sony made all of Samsung's tv's. I don't know if they still do, but that's what he said two years ago.

slim
02-17-2014, 05:57 PM
About 2 years ago a guy from Walmart told me Sony made all of Samsung's tv's. I don't know if they still do, but that's what he said two years ago.

And you believed him?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
And you believed him?

Well, he was a paid representative of WalMart.

SR
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Even Sony's higher end stuff isn't as good as it used to be.

SR
02-17-2014, 06:53 PM

That's wrong. Sharp makes a lot of Samsung TV parts, not Sony. At least that's what I read on AVSForums.

slim
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Well, he was a paid representative of WalMart.

Exactly.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 07:09 PM
That's wrong. Sharp makes a lot of Samsung TV parts, not Sony. At least that's what I read on AVSForums.

You sound about as informed as I am. :laugh:

Who to believe, AVS forums, or WalMart employee?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Exactly.

Come on dude, that's funny. "paid representative of Walmart". Am I the only one who saw the humor in that....and don't tell me you did, but just didn't think it was very funny.

Shazam!
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM

I bought a Sanyo 55" LED and I'm happy with it. I actually went back to my office to get better reviews before I bought it, because I wasn't expecting much.

Like I said it has no optical audio, my only gripe.

Shazam!
02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Some bigger manufacturers make other lesser brands, so they are cheaper but of good quality.

LG makes Zenith and Panasonic makes Sanyo, for example.

Lots of times the difference is simply the frame and stand and not as aesthetically pleasing as a higher end TV.

slim
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Come on dude, that's funny. "paid representative of Walmart". Am I the only one who saw the humor in that....and don't tell me you did, but just didn't think it was very funny.

I laughed.

Slick
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Spend the money and get the Samsung, Buff. No brainer.

WTE
02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
LG makes Zenith.

Zenith is still around? I don't see them at all. They made a great 200 lb TV in the 80's and 90's.

turftoad
02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Even Sony's higher end stuff isn't as good as it used to be.

I beg to differ. I've got Sony XBR 55" 1080 a 240. All the bells and whistles ( not that I use them) that thing is awesome. Paid about 3 grand for it a year ago. Had it calibrated and everyone that comes to my house is amazed how good the picture is.

I love watching my Broncos on it!!

Shazam!
02-17-2014, 08:32 PM
LG makes Zenith.

Zenith is still around? I don't see them at all. They made a great 200 lb TV in the 80's and 90's.

LG produces Zenith branded plasmas that is one of the best HDTVs IMO. Picture quality is nothing short of amazing. Everyone who ever came over always complimented the TV and inquired about it and where I got it.

42" is about $400 and 55" about $550. Both are EXCELLENT options for anyone.

tubby
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Timmy has a Westinghouse. :D

SR
02-18-2014, 07:10 AM
You sound about as informed as I am. :laugh: Who to believe, AVS forums, or WalMart employee?

AVS Forum is awesome

SR
02-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Some bigger manufacturers make other lesser brands, so they are cheaper but of good quality. LG makes Zenith and Panasonic makes Sanyo, for example. Lots of times the difference is simply the frame and stand and not as aesthetically pleasing as a higher end TV.

Not the case with Quattron ;)

SR
02-18-2014, 07:13 AM
I beg to differ. I've got Sony XBR 55" 1080 a 240. All the bells and whistles ( not that I use them) that thing is awesome. Paid about 3 grand for it a year ago. Had it calibrated and everyone that comes to my house is amazed how good the picture is. I love watching my Broncos on it!!

What I meant is that their higher end stuff isn't market-leading anymore like it used to be

BroncoNut
02-18-2014, 08:23 AM
I've been enjoying my vizio. 1080p HDTv, 55"

chazoe60
02-18-2014, 08:35 AM
I have Vizio tvs. They seem fine. I need to replace the one in the living room, it's old and starting to have some issues.

Shazam!
02-18-2014, 03:48 PM
I've seen Vizios. I think they're pretty solid units.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
So, Buff. It's been four days. What's the verdict?

Buff
02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
So, Buff. It's been four days. What's the verdict?

I'm not going to buy it until I move at the beginning of the month. As of now I think I'm leaning towards the Vizio off Amazon - that way I can get the specs I want for a price that I'm comfortable with. It seems to have better reviews than the Toshibas that Turf suggested. But I also am considering just biting the bullet and buying the Samsung.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm not going to buy it until I move at the beginning of the month. As of now I think I'm leaning towards the Vizio off Amazon - that way I can get the specs I want for a price that I'm comfortable with. It seems to have better reviews than the Toshibas that Turf suggested. But I also am considering just biting the bullet and buying the Samsung.

I don't think you'd see much of a difference. I'd stay away from plasma though - just a personal opinion - and go with the one that's going to last the longest. I've had my 55" Sharp for 4-5 years now. Never a problem, other than the built-in speakers suck ass, but I have it hooked up to a surround system. I'm thinking next time I'm going with a 60" and a soundbar.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't think you'd see much of a difference. I'd stay away from plasma though - just a personal opinion - and go with the one that's going to last the longest. I've had my 55" Sharp for 4-5 years now. Never a problem, other than the built-in speakers suck ass, but I have it hooked up to a surround system. I'm thinking next time I'm going with a 60" and a soundbar.

I have my lcd hooked up to an old box shelf stereo. I'm doin' it redneck. :laugh:

Buff
02-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with LED. Just a few too many variables with plasma to feel totally comfortable - I've also heard they sometimes have more issues at elevation.

BigDaddyBronco
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I have a 50" plasma Panasonic and it seems fine. I think many of the burn in issues with plasmas is a thing of the past. Also, I'm at 5200 ft so I don't think the altitude thing is an issue. When I got it I was wanting something that was brighter than the LED's and didn't have glare issues. I have been happy with it. By the time it wears out the technology will have improved quite a bit anyway. I have had it for 5 years or so now.

BroncoJoe
02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
I have a 50" plasma Panasonic and it seems fine. I think many of the burn in issues with plasmas is a thing of the past. Also, I'm at 5200 ft so I don't think the altitude thing is an issue. When I got it I was wanting something that was brighter than the LED's and didn't have glare issues. I have been happy with it. By the time it wears out the technology will have improved quite a bit anyway. I have had it for 5 years or so now.

I swore I'd never buy another plasma after my experience. Maybe I just got a bad one, but after only 12-18 months, the bottom 1/2 of the screen just went out. I was pissed! Then I bought a Sony LED and one of my daughters hit the screen with a Wii remote and broke it. So, within a 24 month period, I had to buy three HDTV's.

weazel
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM

I needed a TV for a room we dont normally watch TV in but occasionally want to... I picked up a cheaper Samsung and it looks good. 55" for $600 (probably cheaper now). Didn't look great out of the box but after changing the settings it looks really good Buff. I will find the model number

Ravage!!!
02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I personally love my 55" Samsung LED smart TV. Can hook it directly to netflix or anything through your personal wifi. I stream movies from my WD My Cloud.

SR
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
I personally love my 55" Samsung LED smart TV. Can hook it directly to netflix or anything through your personal wifi. I stream movies from my WD My Cloud.

I enjoy that about my Sharp as well. I can watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Voodoo, YouTube, and a handful of other apps. Plus with it connected to WiFi, it downloads software updates and whatnot. I wish I had a smart TV upstars in the bedroom, but that's what the Roku box is for.

I had a hard time choosing between the Samsung 7000-series LED Smart TV and the Sharp Quattron, but I knew what the Sharp was like because my dad has one so I went with what I knew even though my Samsung DLP was bulletproof.

Buff
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I needed a TV for a room we dont normally watch TV in but occasionally want to... I picked up a cheaper Samsung and it looks good. 55" for $600 (probably cheaper now). Didn't look great out of the box but after changing the settings it looks really good Buff. I will find the model number

Was it a 60hz? I'm guessing it was for that price.

weazel
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Was it a 60hz? I'm guessing it was for that price.

no its 120, I wouldnt buy a 60hz, its just not a smart tv. Honestly, our other three tv's are smart tv's and we have never used it because the blueray players offer all the same things. I do my homework before buying anything, I'm OCD about that stuff.

atwater27
02-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Then I bought a Sony LED and one of my daughters hit the screen with a Wii remote and broke it. .

I know it sucked, but was it at least funny in retrospect?

BroncoJoe
02-21-2014, 08:54 AM
I know it sucked, but was it at least funny in retrospect?

5 years after the event, yes. I was pretty steamed at the time. I just looked at it and left the house to go buy another one. I might have killed her. (not really).

SR
02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Joe, you don't have an angry bone in your body.

MasterShake
02-21-2014, 09:59 AM
no its 120, I wouldnt buy a 60hz, its just not a smart tv. Honestly, our other three tv's are smart tv's and we have never used it because the blueray players offer all the same things. I do my homework before buying anything, I'm OCD about that stuff.

While I can see a big jump in the 60hz vs 120hz, the HDTVs I've seen with the 240hz don't seem to have quite the jump in quality especially given the price. The refresh rate is huge in things like sports (my old Aquos is a 60hz but seems to do pretty good) but I'm not sure if past 120hz its even noticeable to most people.

Smart TVs are great and sometimes cheaper because they make deals with HULU, Netflix, etc. to keep costs down because they know you will probably subscribe or pay for content. Between my Smart Bluray, HDMI computer adapter, and game consoles with built in services I have several different ways to watch movies, sports, TV, etc. Pretty neat but I hate the idea of all my media living in "the cloud". I try and buy my favorite stuff on BluRay or 4k BluRay if its available.

weazel
02-21-2014, 01:38 PM
While I can see a big jump in the 60hz vs 120hz, the HDTVs I've seen with the 240hz don't seem to have quite the jump in quality especially given the price. The refresh rate is huge in things like sports (my old Aquos is a 60hz but seems to do pretty good) but I'm not sure if past 120hz its even noticeable to most people.

Smart TVs are great and sometimes cheaper because they make deals with HULU, Netflix, etc. to keep costs down because they know you will probably subscribe or pay for content. Between my Smart Bluray, HDMI computer adapter, and game consoles with built in services I have several different ways to watch movies, sports, TV, etc. Pretty neat but I hate the idea of all my media living in "the cloud". I try and buy my favorite stuff on BluRay or 4k BluRay if its available.

I actually wrote more and then deleted it before posting. I was going to say the same thing about the 240+ hz TV's. The LG ones that claim to be 600hz are the funniest. Do a search for how they measure that and the whole refresh rate becomes a joke.

As for brand, that is really a crap shoot as they all use about 4 or 5 different panel manufacturers of different quality controls. I am a big Samsung fan but I will admit that thye are one of the worst for the panel lottery crap.

BigDaddyBronco
02-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Joe, you don't have an angry bone in your body.
Just my dick.

weazel
02-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Just my dick.

How many times has Joe's dick been in your body?

MasterShake
02-21-2014, 03:14 PM
I actually wrote more and then deleted it before posting. I was going to say the same thing about the 240+ hz TV's. The LG ones that claim to be 600hz are the funniest. Do a search for how they measure that and the whole refresh rate becomes a joke.

As for brand, that is really a crap shoot as they all use about 4 or 5 different panel manufacturers of different quality controls. I am a big Samsung fan but I will admit that thye are one of the worst for the panel lottery crap.

Good to know, I was hoping I wasn't seeing something that wasn't there. I think most HDTVs with 120hz refresh rate and a good contrast ratio are the way to go. It is really hard to judge TVs at the store because they jack the settings way up so you can see them in the fluorescent lighting. I always try to reference things like AV Forums or CNET to get good comparisons and reviews. Another good tip after you buy your TV is to either invest in an calibrater/optimizer disc for your bluray to get the settings right, or sometimes they are built into the menu on movies that use THX technology (like Star Wars).

BigDaddyBronco
02-21-2014, 03:41 PM
How many times has Joe's dick been in your body?

About as often as mine has been in yours.

BroncoNut
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM

bdb, you are being sexually dominant today. I like it!!!

BigDaddyBronco
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
bdb, you are being sexually dominant today. I like it!!!
I'm mounting everything in sight....

weazel
02-21-2014, 04:34 PM

I've had a few foggy nights, Im just trying to think if you were around at all.

Buff
02-21-2014, 04:38 PM
I keep hearing everyone say they completely overhaul their TV's settings when they get it home. I've never manually updated any of my TV settings in the past - I always just use one of the presets. Do you do it yourself based on your own preferences or do you find some preset criteria online?

weazel
02-21-2014, 04:40 PM
I keep hearing everyone say they completely overhaul their TV's settings when they get it home. I've never manually updated any of my TV settings in the past - I always just use one of the presets. Do you do it yourself based on your own preferences or do you find some preset criteria online?

I usually look at av forums and use their recommendations and then fine tune it for my liking.

MasterShake
02-21-2014, 09:29 PM
After you calibrate the TV settings you will see a big difference.

EDIT: Here is a resource that will scour the forums of this particular forum to give you some basic HDTV settings for most models:

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/samsung-2.html

Buff
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I went ahead and bought the 50" Vizio 120HZ Smart TV. It was on sale at Target for $650 plus my GF gets 5% off with her red card. I was tempted to buy the 55" Samsung on sale for $799 but I still have to buy a couch and a bunch of other stuff too. This one will suffice and fits within my price range.

I haven't really watched anything on it yet because I've been busy moving and the cable guy can't get out there to install for a week.

MasterShake
03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I went ahead and bought the 50" Vizio 120HZ Smart TV. It was on sale at Target for $650 plus my GF gets 5% off with her red card. I was tempted to buy the 55" Samsung on sale for $799 but I still have to buy a couch and a bunch of other stuff too. This one will suffice and fits within my price range.

I haven't really watched anything on it yet because I've been busy moving and the cable guy can't get out there to install for a week.

The HD Local channels probably look pretty good on that (they always look better than cable or satellite anyway).

weazel
03-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Nothing wrong with Vizio TV's, as I said earlier... the panel lottery is more important than brand name

BroncoJoe
03-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Nice choice - Bet you'll love it.

No cable or internet for a week? I could have got you hooked up quicker through a friend. Also - if you call them back they'll set you up with a self-install kit. It's easy...

Buff
03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Nice choice - Bet you'll love it.

No cable or internet for a week? I could have got you hooked up quicker through a friend. Also - if you call them back they'll set you up with a self-install kit. It's easy...

I was actually about to hit you up... The only problem is my apartment is brand new. Service has never been installed there, so I don't think I can do self-install.

I think it's utterly absurd that they can't come out to hook up a brand new paying customer for over a week.

BroncoJoe
03-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I was actually about to hit you up... The only problem is my apartment is brand new. Service has never been installed there, so I don't think I can do self-install.

I think it's utterly absurd that they can't come out to hook up a brand new paying customer for over a week.

Buzz/text me later. I've got a conference call in a few minutes. I can have someone look into it.

Buff
03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Buzz/text me later. I've got a conference call in a few minutes. I can have someone look into it.

I appreciate it, but this point it's probably too late. I called them last Tue and the earliest they could set me up was today... I called the dude every day last week trying to get a Fri or Saturday install, but they couldn't swing it, so I had to have them move it back to this upcoming Saturday because I can't be there to meet them on a weekday.

BroncoJoe
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I appreciate it, but this point it's probably too late. I called them last Tue and the earliest they could set me up was today... I called the dude every day last week trying to get a Fri or Saturday install, but they couldn't swing it, so I had to have them move it back to this upcoming Saturday because I can't be there to meet them on a weekday.

Gotcha. If you want it earlier, let me know. You're scheduled for this Saturday? I thought you meant a week from Saturday.

Buff
03-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Gotcha. If you want it earlier, let me know. You're scheduled for this Saturday? I thought you meant a week from Saturday.

Well I do want it earlier... But they said the last slot is from 3-5pm and I can't swing that while I'm at work. Oh well, at least I have my iphone.

tubby
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
48" Samsung UN48H6350 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV $600 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/7017104-48-samsung-un48h6350-1080p-120hz-smart-led-hdtv-625-free-shipping

elsid13
07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
So I finally got my new TV today, Sharp - AQUOS Q Series - 60" Class 1080p/240Hz. Got $400 off. Need to get a sound bar now

elsid13
07-14-2014, 06:48 PM
So I finally got my new TV today, Sharp - AQUOS Q Series - 60" Class 1080p/240Hz. Got $400 off. Need to get a sound bar now

So I finally got the TV and the picture is awesome. I still trying to fine tune some of the options and feature but it worth the price. Only complaint is the sound is little dull, but I plan on getting a sound bar to fix that.

Magnificent Seven
07-14-2014, 11:04 PM
So I finally got the TV and the picture is awesome. I still trying to fine tune some of the options and feature but it worth the price. Only complaint is the sound is little dull, but I plan on getting a sound bar to fix that.

How does the closed caption look? I am a Deaf person and I am still looking for a brand new HDTV with a great CC.

elsid13
07-15-2014, 04:37 AM
How does the closed caption look? I am a Deaf person and I am still looking for a brand new HDTV with a great CC.

I haven't checked out that feature. I will tonight and report back.

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I haven't checked out that feature. I will tonight and report back.

Cool! Thanks!

elsid13
07-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Cool! Thanks!

I looked at it and it was fine, but I don't know what to compare it to. Overall it easy to read and you move it around the screen for viewing experience. Hope that helps.

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I looked at it and it was fine, but I don't know what to compare it to. Overall it easy to read and you move it around the screen for viewing experience. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Man.

tubby
07-24-2014, 02:07 PM
55" Samsung UN55F8000 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV $1300 + Free Shipping

http://slickdeals.net/f/7084288-samsung-un55f8000-3d-240hz-smart-tv-for-1299-99-shipped-ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz-3D-Ultra-Slim-Smart-LED-HDTV/131193828416?customid=43d1503e895f40dd867a3ee80f9b 6903&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&icep_id=117&ipn=icep&pt=Televisions&hash=item1e8bc2f440&afepn=5337259887

Shazam!
01-14-2020, 10:23 AM
Still, to this very day, plasma sets have an excellent visual quality. Too bad they never got to UHD.

Strafen
12-07-2021, 06:37 PM
I'm kind of on the market for a new TV.
I think I can't go wrong with a Samsung 55" Q80A Series
$1000-1300 Best Buy has the best price so far. I'm going to wait until January to see if they've come down in price, but definitely this one I like a lot

Mozzafiato
12-07-2021, 07:56 PM
$1000-1300 Best Buy has the best price so far. I'm going to wait until January to see if they've come down in price, but definitely this one I like a lot

I highly recommend the website linked below for detailed reviews.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80a-qled

Tned
12-08-2021, 08:50 PM

Often not much price difference between Samsung and Sony XBRs. Sony, LG and Samsung all make good sets.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-08-2022, 11:44 PM
I’ve had my Vizio 55 inch tv for years now and it hasn’t missed a beat. I’d say it’s great quality along with the 40 inch vizio I have as well.

R8R H8R
04-07-2022, 10:48 AM
Still, to this very day, plasma sets have an excellent visual quality. Too bad they never got to UHD.

I tend to get high-end electronics at or near the end of their sales cycle because they got all the kinks out of them from the early models, and were top of the line at that time. By the time I buy them, their price has dropped so much that they are practically giving them away.

Remember when Plasmas were a new product in the early to mid 2000’s? I remember some of them selling for $9k+ for 50-60” models! By the time their line matured in 2014, I decided it was time to get one. I bought a Samsung 60” Plasma at Costco for $790. Plasmas were discontinued by manufacturers shortly thereafter. By this time, they got all the bugs out of it, and glare is not an issue, nor is the screen-burn problem as with earlier versions.

To your point, my HD plasma is some of the best overall picture quality out there, and I won’t even consider replacing it until a few years down the road when the latest greatest 4k UHD models or whatever are getting at the end of their product maturity, and they prove to be superior. Until then, I am very happy with my plasma.

BroncoJoe
04-07-2022, 10:58 AM
I tend to get high-end electronics at or near the end of their sales cycle because they got all the kinks out of them from the early models, and were top of the line at that time. By the time I buy them, their price has dropped so much that they are practically giving them away.

Remember when Plasmas were a new product in the early to mid 2000’s? I remember some of them selling for $9k+ for 50-60” models! By the time their line matured in 2014, I decided it was time to get one. I bought a Samsung 60” Plasma at Costco for $790. Plasmas were discontinued by manufacturers shortly thereafter. By this time, they got all the bugs out of it, and glare is not an issue, nor is the screen-burn problem as with earlier versions.

To your point, my HD plasma is some of the best overall picture quality out there, and I won’t even consider replacing it until a few years down the road when the latest greatest 4k UHD models or whatever are getting at the end of their product maturity, and they prove to be superior. Until then, I am very happy with my plasma.

I agree the picture quality was terrific. Unfortunately, my 55" lost the bottom 1/2 of it's screen and couldn't be repaired. Well, it could have been, but the cost was more expensive than buying a new TV.

Tned
04-08-2022, 03:42 PM
I agree the picture quality was terrific. Unfortunately, my 55" lost the bottom 1/2 of it's screen and couldn't be repaired. Well, it could have been, but the cost was more expensive than buying a new TV.

It was also a bad technology in terms of image retention (aka burn in).