PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Forecast: Denver Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2014, 09:05 PM
What's Changing?

A haggard but still fiery John Elway said Tuesday that he's going to continue to shape his roster as if Peyton Manning will be the quarterback. The Broncos can survive the loss of a couple of key free agents on offense, but they have to add speed and physicality on defense. With a few tweaks, this team will remain AFC favorites. The real trick is finding a formula that will allow them to hang with the NFC's superpowers.
Biggest Free Agents

» WR Eric Decker: An excellent second fiddle to Demaryius Thomas, Decker is expected to seek No. 1 receiver money. The Broncos plan to let Decker come back to them with his best offer on the open market, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

» CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: The MVP of Denver's secondary, Rodgers-Cromartie turned his career around as one of the NFL's top cover corners in 2013. With one last cash grab imminent, DRC is no longer talking nonsense about retirement.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323726/article/offseason-forecast-denver-broncos

DenBronx
02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
They should just give DRC a contract before he hits the market. As for Decker just see what kind of offers he is getting then maybe offer him a little less.

If its 7-8 mill he is demanding then he's most likely gone. This draft is stacked with WRs ...so round 4 or later might be a good time to find his replacement.

Sucks because I like Decker and think he's better for this team long term than Wes Welker.

OrangeHoof
02-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Elway has a lot of tough decisions to make this offseason. Broncos (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) fans, take solace in the fact that he played the free-agent market as well as anyone (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000318280/article/how-the-denver-broncos-were-built) last year.

Indeed. He (and his drunken cohorts) did a tremendous job last spring/summer putting a team around Manning. Had it stayed healthier on defense, it might have been good enough to take the Lombardi Trophy. I may not agree with all the moves they'll make but most will probably turn out well. How well is the real question and how many more tries will we get with Manning?

WARHORSE
02-15-2014, 10:28 PM
For me, one of our offseason targets should be Vincent Rey from the Bengals. The guy killed it in relief of Maualuga and I don't even know why they didn't start him when Maualuga came back off injure at LEAST in the nickel packages. The guy was a tackle and cover monster imo.

In a single game against Baltimore, the man had 15 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and an interception. You just don't have games like that when you can't play.

Fluid in coverage, the guy is 250 lbs and 6 feet. Before you mock his height, take a look at his production. The guy is a baller.

Champ I like at free safety and second string corner. Get Cromartie back if we can, there are a few high profile corners out there to be had as well. Grimes, Talib, Cromartie......there are a few others as well.

Decker at the right price...Woodyard I hope gets a good payday, but he was outplayed and thats part of the game....he lost his spot. If we got Rey to fill his shoes going into the draft I would be stoked.

At RB, Im wondering if the Texans are going to hold on to Foster. Injuries could have easily turned their stomachs when they now look at his pay.

Rey is a restricted FA, but worth a third if he got tendered there for sure imo.

If we can somehow get another pass rusher on the Dline......like Hardy......that would be a killer FA signing. Will we? Probably not.....but I hear he won't be franchised so its going to be open season.

TXBRONC
02-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I think Champ should play the nickel.

luckyseven
02-15-2014, 11:01 PM
For me, one of our offseason targets should be Vincent Rey from the Bengals. The guy killed it in relief of Maualuga and I don't even know why they didn't start him when Maualuga came back off injure at LEAST in the nickel packages. The guy was a tackle and cover monster imo.

In a single game against Baltimore, the man had 15 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and an interception. You just don't have games like that when you can't play.

Fluid in coverage, the guy is 250 lbs and 6 feet. Before you mock his height, take a look at his production. The guy is a baller.

Champ I like at free safety and second string corner. Get Cromartie back if we can, there are a few high profile corners out there to be had as well. Grimes, Talib, Cromartie......there are a few others as well.

Decker at the right price...Woodyard I hope gets a good payday, but he was outplayed and thats part of the game....he lost his spot. If we got Rey to fill his shoes going into the draft I would be stoked.

At RB, Im wondering if the Texans are going to hold on to Foster. Injuries could have easily turned their stomachs when they now look at his pay.

Rey is a restricted FA, but worth a third if he got tendered there for sure imo.

If we can somehow get another pass rusher on the Dline......like Hardy......that would be a killer FA signing. Will we? Probably not.....but I hear he won't be franchised so its going to be open season.

How does all that fit inside a 10-maybe 15 million cap.

BroncoWave
02-15-2014, 11:01 PM
I think Champ should play the nickel.

At a steeply reduced price I'd be all for that.

WARHORSE
02-16-2014, 01:27 AM

First i think we will have more than that before all is said and done with rollover, cutting contracts and renegotiating contracts.

Champ will take a pay cut that will help us out. Kuper and Tamme or Dressen will probably be gone or have their contracts reduced.

Besides, 10-15 million can go a long ways if structured right.

We can do a lot.........but whether we take it to the limit or not will be up to the head honcho...Elway.

My thought is he will repeat last years performance making key signings while leaving a little to rollover. If

not that, i think he will take it to the doorstep of using all our available cap space because we are so close.

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 08:10 AM
First i think we will have more than that before all is said and done with rollover, cutting contracts and renegotiating contracts.

Champ will take a pay cut that will help us out. Kuper and Tamme or Dressen will probably be gone or have their contracts reduced.

We can do a lot.........but whether we take it to the limit or not will be up to the head honcho...Elway.

My thought is he will repeat last years performance making key signings while leaving a little to rollover. If

not that, i think he will take it to the doorstep of using all our available cap space because we are so close.

I doubt Elway will take it to the doorstep he'll leave a little room.

Elway has made it clear his long term goal is to keep Denver in contention year in and year out and not to sell out for one season.

luckyseven
02-16-2014, 10:08 PM

I tend to think you are correct. But needed to put it out there, so many think that there are unlimited wish lists.

Even with cuts or restructures there is always some dead cap money that has to be figured in.
Kuper is gone he was only kept last year because cutting him cost as much as keeping him, and he was a warm body in case he was needed.
Tamme IMO will be back at a reduced rate because he is a proven TE that can play both facets of the game catch and block something that JT is not up to speed on. Dresson much the same. IF JT becomes a better blocker then one will go away.
As for Champ, I'm not all that sure he will take a pay cut, something called pride. I suspect he will hang them up before doing that, especially with rumors of him being forced to FS.

Maybe he will realize he owes the team for carrying him last year, but he may just want to walk away.

But the bottom line is what may go to 20+ million really equates to about 10 because since before Shanahan left Bolwen seems to want 10-12 million as cushion going into the season. Much like being able to carry over 5-6 from last year.

Should be an interesting offseason.

luckyseven
02-16-2014, 10:10 PM
I doubt Elway will take it to the doorstep he'll leave a little room.

Elway has made it clear his long term goal is to keep Denver in contention year in and year out and not to sell out for one season.

With this I agree, but I beleive it is more of a mandate from Bolwen, spend what you have to but do not waste money, like in the past.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2014, 10:52 PM
No way the Panthers let Hardy go but boy would that be tits! I'd like to think Fox at least has some kind of relationship to call on.

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 11:14 PM
With this I agree, but I beleive it is more of a mandate from Bolwen, spend what you have to but do not waste money, like in the past.

You think Bowlen is going to demand that Elway burn all his cap space room for one or two shots at the Super Bowl title?

Canmore
02-17-2014, 12:46 AM
You think Bowlen is going demand that Elway burn all his cap space room for one or two shots at the Super Bowl title?

I really don't think it works that way. Could be wrong.

TXBRONC
02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
I really don't think it works that way. Could be wrong.

It hasn't for sure Bowlen case.

luckyseven
02-17-2014, 12:44 PM
You think Bowlen is going to demand that Elway burn all his cap space room for one or two shots at the Super Bowl title?

sorry but I was trying to say I believed it was Bowlen's mandate to spend what he has to but NO more, the past 5-6 years IIRC it started in Shanahan's last two years that they held back about 10 million or more every year..

SR
02-17-2014, 02:15 PM

This is Madden. Didn't you know? ;)

luckyseven
02-17-2014, 04:03 PM
This is Madden. Didn't you know? ;)
well since I have never played it, I would not know.
although I have done FF years ago the same thing applies..

Lancane
02-18-2014, 03:47 AM
One problem is that the Broncos like all other NFL teams have to spend so much of the cap.

The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 had an initial salary cap of $120 million. While the previous CBA had a salary floor, the new CBA did not have one until 2013. Each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation, and 90% in future years. However, the floor is based on total cash spent over each of two four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020. A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required percentage of the cap.

This will force even the thriftiest of teams to be more outgoing with their pocketbook. But doesn't mean that they have to spend the remaining cap space stupidly either.

In all reality Champ Bailey is likely going to be asked to take a major cut or will be released, I'd suspect that in the end it would be about 2.25 million for the season (best guess). Or the Broncos cut him and owe him nothing other then prorated bonuses from the past post-season. He'll not be in high demand and won't be looking at much more money anywhere else. As for Chris Kuper, I'd pretty much bet the farm that he's simply released, the Broncos will owe him 12.5 million over the next two years, nearly 6 mil this season alone, if they release him they will be out 2.7 mil over the next two seasons, 1.9 this year and the rest next season. Between the two that is about 12 million freed up, though I am pretty sure that a good portion will be spent to retain Rodgers-Cromartie in the end. Whereas Decker is completely expendable at this point, I believe he'll be in a different jersey come next season.