PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' cap snug, but still looks good

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2014, 09:02 PM
The NFL’s scouting combine gets underway Wednesday in Indianapolis and all of the Denver Broncos’ football decision-makers will be there.

The draft continues to be the long-term foundation of what John Elway wants to get done with the depth chart. And while the Broncos did land the greatest prize of free agency in Peyton Manning and paid him accordingly with a $96 million deal, Elway has largely been conservative in free agency overall because he wants the heart of the team's roster to be homegrown.

The Broncos have favored, outside of a few contracts, including Manning and guard Louis Vasquez, one- or two-year deals. Many of those, after the initial hysteria passed, were with little or no signing bonus. Look how the team has handled the last two free-agency seasons following Manning's signing.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5113/broncos-cap-snug-but-still-looks-good

sneakers
02-16-2014, 07:48 AM
They can roll over cap space from the previous season now? :eek:

TXBRONC
02-16-2014, 07:57 AM
In a different thread Tned and I think it was Lancane discussed the cap and it was brought up that left over cap space from the previous year can now be rolled over to the next season.

OrangeHoof
02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I may not be fully up to speed on this but I believe that the rollover is something a team can only claim every x number of years (3 or 4, I think) so timing is everything. Although it is hard to argue now would not be the best time for it.

DenBronx
02-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I may not be fully up to speed on this but I believe that the rollover is something a team can only claim every x number of years (3 or 4, I think) so timing is everything. Although it is hard to argue now would not be the best time for it.

I don't think that's true at all. Elway rolled the cap the same offseason he got Manning.

We should be able to roll it every year as long as we have unused cap space.