PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Last Season

OB
02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
:Cry::Cry::Cry:

:salute: to one of the greatest shortstops of all time and by far my favorite Yankee (Bernie Williams a close second - Mo, well the list goes on from there)

CoachChaz
02-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Good riddance

OB
02-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Good riddance

:tsk::tsk:

Rex
02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Now he can come out of the closet.

Over rated douche

OB
02-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Now he can come out of the closet.

Over rated douche
Its been my experience the only time men call each other gay is A. When they are truly jealous or B. When they are questioning their own sexuality

CoachChaz
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Regardless...he is still overrated. If he played for any other team, he'd be borderline HOF material.

OB
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
So someone you consider "border line HOF material" is over rated? I'd take a team full of borderline HOF'rs and win a championship

CoachChaz
02-12-2014, 05:38 PM
So someone you consider "border line HOF material" is over rated? I'd take a team full of borderline HOF'rs and win a championship

His numbers are what they are because he's played 20 years. If he retired 6 years ago as a Yankee, he'd be in the HOF. With any other team...never

OB
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
His numbers are what they are because he's played 20 years. If he retired 6 years ago as a Yankee, he'd be in the HOF. With any other team...never

Thats what wearin those striped does :smug: makes an "average" player a HOF'r :tongue:

Ravage!!!
02-12-2014, 06:01 PM
If he was with any other team, he'd be a "borderline" HoFer.....yet because he's a Yankee and played so long (for a team that is known to spend the big money to bring in the best players in the league, yet couldn't get Derek off the field)....he's over rated??? :confused: This logic makes zero sense.

I don't even like the Yankees and can acknowledge that the guy is a bonafide clutch HoF'er. A true baller.

slim
02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Its been my experience the only time men call each other gay is A. When they are truly jealous or B. When they are questioning their own sexuality

You need more experience.

BroncoWave
02-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Bye faggot.

Dapper Dan
02-12-2014, 07:21 PM
The hate is strong in here.

Poet
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Regardless...he is still overrated. If he played for any other team, he'd be borderline HOF material.

This is pure bias and simply untrue. He has a slew of rings and 3k hits. He has that clutch gene that writers love so much. His resume isn't that of a borderline guy.

ShaneFalco
02-12-2014, 08:51 PM
i miss ozzie smith

MOtorboat
02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I hate Derek Jeter.

I respect what he accomplished though.

Buff
02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I hate the Yankees but respect Derek Jeter.

I also heard that he would send chicks he hooked up with home with a parting souvenir gift... That is arrogantly awesome if true.

MOtorboat
02-13-2014, 11:41 AM

I also heard that he would send chicks he hooked up with home with a parting souvenir gift... That is arrogantly awesome if true.

I've heard he makes people give up their cell phones when they party with him, so no photos can be taken.

Poet
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM

I read once that he sent a chick off with a game ball that he autographed.

Ravage!!!
02-13-2014, 12:08 PM
I usually just smack them on the ass and tell them "nice job out there tonight."

MOtorboat
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
RT @cdotharrison: Jeter's starting lineup is so strong Tyra Banks has to come off the bench. Legendary.

chazoe60
02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't see how you can hate Jeter. Dude lived every American boy's dream. He played baseball at a HOF level and banged hot chicks at an even greater level than that.

Not a Yankee fan but Jeter is badass and the guys who hate him are probably jealous or fans of a different AL East team (coach).

Buff
02-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't see how you can hate Jeter. Dude lived every American boy's dream. He played baseball at a HOF level and banged hot chicks at an even greater level than that.

Not a Yankee fan but Jeter is badass and the guys who hate him are probably jealous or fans of a different AL East team (coach).

Couldn't you make the same argument about Tom Brady? Come on man, get out of here with that rationality.

chazoe60
02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Couldn't you make the same argument about Tom Brady? Come on man, get out of here with that rationality.

I don't hate Brady either. I talk shit about him to ruffle Pags' and WTE's feathers but I actually kinda like Brady.

There is a difference though, Jeter stayed single and eligible to bang as many hotties as he wanted for a lot longer than Brady. Brady could have been legendary but he decided to Mary a supermodel. I will give Brady credit for doing the damn near impossible feat of marrying a stunningly beautiful woman who also makes a shit ton more money than he does, that is ******* brilliant.

Rex
02-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't hate Brady either. I talk shit about him to ruffle Pags' and WTE's feathers but I actually kinda like Brady.

There is a difference though, Jeter stayed single and eligible to bang as many hot ties as he wanted for a lot longer than Brady. Brady could have been legendary but he decided to Mary a supermodel. I will give Brady credit for doing the dawn near impossible feat of marrying a stunningly beautiful woman who also makes a shit ton more money than he does, that is ******* brilliant.

What about the Midget?

Buff
02-13-2014, 03:41 PM

There is a difference though, Jeter stayed single and eligible to bang as many hotties as he wanted for a lot longer than Brady. Brady could have been legendary but he decided to Mary a supermodel. I will give Brady credit for doing the damn near impossible feat of marrying a stunningly beautiful woman who also makes a shit ton more money than he does, that is ******* brilliant.

I'd say they both took acceptable routes. If you aren't going to remain single - marrying a super model with more money than you is a decent fallback plan.

chazoe60
02-13-2014, 03:52 PM
What about the Midget?

I'd like to punch him in the face.

Rex
02-13-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd like to punch him in the face.

Hard.

Devilspawn
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
If he wasn't who he was skill wise, he would've been a role player some years ago without the numbers. If he was hurt or just didn't have it, he would've retired with declining numbers. A player can't suck for 20 years, the majors wouldn't give him a chance to. He would've eventually been phased out, traded and eventually gone from the majors some years ago. Maybe well traveled if he was decent.

A .312 lifetime batting average plus a .308 postseason batting average. He made the most of his plenty o chances.

And in the steroid era, despite who he played with, he put up numbers CLEAN.

Is he overrated because he's a Yankee? I can't see how. Some people say he won his 5 Gold Glove awards based on reputation. Who the hell wins 5 Lifetime Achievement Awards?

Slick
02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
I've got nothing against Jeter. He always seemed like a classy dude. I haven't really followed baseball in about 8 years so I could have missed something I suppose.

I do remember hearing a story about parting gifts for his one night stands. Pretty funny.

Dapper Dan
02-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I've got nothing against Jeter. He always seemed like a classy dude. I haven't really followed baseball in about 8 years so I could have missed something I suppose.

I do remember hearing a story about parting gifts for his one night stands. Pretty funny.

Herpes?

slim
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm indifferent to Jeter.

Brady is still a fag, though.

OB
02-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Tom Brady is ugly. Derek is hotness personified

OB
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM

How awesome would that be. Get to have sex with Jeter and an autographed baseball or maybe rookie card. Man o man. :faint:

slim
02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
How awesome would that be. Get to have sex with Jeter and an autographed baseball or maybe rookie card. Man o man. :faint:

Sounds like a pretty shitty night to me.

OB
02-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a pretty shitty night to me.

Pun intended ;)

CoachChaz
02-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Craig Biggio was a better player. But I guess he had the disadvantage of playing on a team with a budget, so the lack of rings keeps him out.

If Jeter put up his numbers with the Astros the last 20 years, he'd be a borderline HoF'er.

Poet
02-14-2014, 12:27 AM
Craig Biggio was a better player. But I guess he had the disadvantage of playing on a team with a budget, so the lack of rings keeps him out.

If Jeter put up his numbers with the Astros the last 20 years, he'd be a borderline HoF'er.

3k hits is not a borderline Hall of Famer.

MOtorboat
02-14-2014, 12:33 AM
3k hits is not a borderline Hall of Famer.

Yet Biggio did not go in this year.

Poet
02-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Yet Biggio did not go in this year.

It does not mean that Biggio didn't get screwed, yet it's not enough to say that the golden rule of 3k hits being an auto include is broken. It's an overreaction from a jaded fan who loves complaining about salaries and spending in baseball. If Jeter were an Oriole Coach would be screaming for him to get in. Since he's a Yankee he wants to disparage him. This is the way of the baseball threads.

Dapper Dan
02-14-2014, 01:19 AM
It does not mean that Biggio didn't get screwed, yet it's not enough to say that the golden rule of 3k hits being an auto include is broken. It's an overreaction from a jaded fan who loves complaining about salaries and spending in baseball. If Jeter were an Oriole Coach would be screaming for him to get in. Since he's a Yankee he wants to disparage him. This is the way of the baseball threads.

4256 hits aren't enough to get in. :lol:

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 11:35 AM

There is a lot of ridiculous assuming going on in this post, so let me be clear. Because he's a Yankee, I've probably seen him play more often than any fan of a team outside of the AL East. So, I got to see more than just the SportsCenter highlight stuff that the average fan in places like...Cincinnati. But I really dont even need to use that fact to prove that he was a singles hitter with average range that played 20 years on the most expensive teams in baseball history. Stats prove that for me. Like I said...put Biggio in Jeter's place for the last 20 years and he'd be in the Hall already. Or let me use a Cincinnati reference. Barry Larkin was easily a better player than Jeter...and it took him 3 years to get in.

In Jeter's 20 years, he never had to carry a losing team. His entire career he has been in a line-up surrounded by the best and highest players in the game. In a MLB player polls over the last 5 years, Jeter was consistently voted one of the top 3 overrated players by his peers. You put him on any other team in any other city over the last 20 years and his face isnt plastered everywhere and cameras dont follow him. Give him 20 years in the lineups the Orioles had over that time span and he doesnt get 700+ plate appearances per season, probably doesnt get 3000 hits and is what he is...a good player.

Which brings me back to my original comment that has been grossly twisted since then...Jeter is a good player that is overrated due to where he played and the teams he played on and even if he put up the same numbers on any other team, he would be a 3rd or 4th ballot HoF at best.

slim
02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Biggio was a better player. I don't really see a legit argument against that.

Poet
02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
So much butthurt. Essentially your stance refuses to acknowledge that yes, while he was on the Yankees, he's one of the most prolific and heralded postseason players ever. Coach. He had a lot of huge moments in the playoffs, he had a good to great glove, he has 3k hits. I'll always remember him being the one to get his team back in it mentally against the Red Sox when it looked like Boston was going to get to the World Series. What about the flip play against the A's in 2003?

Look, it's this simple, and I know for those who are inclined to bash the Yankees it's going to irritate them, but 3k hits, plus rings, plus huge postseason player, plus being one of the best players at your position for most of your career, plus being your team's leader, it's going to give you a shot to be a first ballot HoFer.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
So much butthurt.

It has nothing to do with butthurt. I'm giving valid information to explain my stance. There is no whining or bitching here...just discussion over the validity of Jeter's career. If you disagree, then come to the table with something to back it up and save the name calling cop outs for another thread.

If you can prove that my points about Jeter...or anyone else in this situation are completely void of fact and legitimacy, please do so.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated doesn’t blurt rash opinions. The esteemed baseball writer speaks in measured tones so his answer to the Yankees’ replacement for Derek Jeter in 2015 created pause. Appearing on Mad Dog Sports radio Thursday, he said, without hesitation, the Rockies’ Troy Tulowitzki.

Jeter is retiring at season’s end, and the Yankees will seek a star to take over. The idea of acquiring Tulo makes sense at first glance, but may not be realistic. Of course the Yankees can afford Tulo’s contract, a stumbling block for many teams. The Rockies’ three-time all-star will be due $118 million after this season on a deal that runs through 2020 with a club option for 2021.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/2014/02/14/derek-jeters-2015-replacement-will-troy-tulowitzki/16347/

Poet
02-14-2014, 12:47 PM
It has nothing to do with butthurt. I'm giving valid information to explain my stance. There is no whining or bitching here...just discussion over the validity of Jeter's career. If you disagree, then come to the table with something to back it up and save the name calling cop outs for another thread.

If you can prove that my points about Jeter...or anyone else in this situation are completely void of fact and legitimacy, please do so.

I don't know what more you want from me. If you get 3k hits, you're typically into the Hall of Fame very quickly, which kind of refutes your point about Jeter being a first ballot guy just because he's a Yankee.

Baseball writer Josh Pahigian wrote that the club has been "long considered the greatest measure of superior bat handling."[18] Reaching 3,000 hits is often described as a guarantee of eventual entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame.[19][20][21] All eligible club members, with the exception of Palmeiro, Rose, and Biggio, have been elected to the Hall, and since 1962 all club members who have been inducted were elected on the first ballot. Rose was declared permanently ineligible for the Hall of Fame when he was banned from baseball.

I'm still waiting for a scathing rebuttal as to Jeter's incredible postseason career.

In regards to your plate appearances argument, Biggio has more plate appearances than Jeter. So I don't buy into that argument either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_hit_club

This isn't a case of Jeter being unworthy of first ballot. Biggio not getting in is a case of strange and inconsistent voting.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't know what more you want from me. If you get 3k hits, you're typically into the Hall of Fame very quickly, which kind of refutes your point about Jeter being a first ballot guy just because he's a Yankee.

Baseball writer Josh Pahigian wrote that the club has been "long considered the greatest measure of superior bat handling."[18] Reaching 3,000 hits is often described as a guarantee of eventual entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame.[19][20][21] All eligible club members, with the exception of Palmeiro, Rose, and Biggio, have been elected to the Hall, and since 1962 all club members who have been inducted were elected on the first ballot. Rose was declared permanently ineligible for the Hall of Fame when he was banned from baseball.

I'm still waiting for a scathing rebuttal as to Jeter's incredible postseason career.

In regards to your plate appearances argument, Biggio has more plate appearances than Jeter. So I don't buy into that argument either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_hit_club

This isn't a case of Jeter being unworthy of first ballot. Biggio not getting in is a case of strange and inconsistent voting.

Still missing the point. I said, "On ANY OTHER TEAM, Derek Jeter is a borderline Hall of Famer". He has been a good player that has benefitted from being on 19 straight winning teams...with big lineups...in NYC. If Biggio were a Yankee, there wouldn't have been "strange and inconsistent voting." He'd be in. And if Jeter had played for any other team, his numbers would have likely been much different.

That's not to say that Jeter doesnt belong in the Hall based on the way things stand today. But as I originally said...he is OVERRATED. He is not a baseball legend that many people seem to make him out to be.

As far as post-seasons go, would Carlos Beltran be a first ballot Hall of Famer if he retired today? Probably not. And you wont find a player that has had a better post-season career than him. But if a rebuttal to Jeter's post-season numbers is what you are looking for, then all I can say is that he's been lucky enough to have played for a team that gave him that many opportunities. And yes...he still had to take advantage of them, but his career post-season OPS is only 10 points higher than his career regular season OPS. So, he has been consistently good...but not great.

Poet
02-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm not missing the point, you just don't have much of one. Biggio did not play on a team of prolific teams, right, but he still managed to end up with more plate appearances, right? Did you not just talk about plate appearances in your argument? Wasn't there something about carrying a team? That argument is a little strange to me in regards to Biggio because wasn't he part of a tandem called the "Killer B's?" So, no, I don't respect the "carry the team argument," and I don't respect the plate appearance argument, either.

Jeter is a baseball legend. The guys who have 3k hits are legends. That was the way it was back then, and that's the way it is now. . Beltran is the greatest postseason hitter, at least that seems to be his title. But, he's not considered to be one of the best regular season players at his position. Your rebuttal doesn't work because Jeter has a claim to being a legitimate first ballot guy based off of regular season play anyway. That distinguishes him Beltran; Beltran going into the Hall would have to rely solely upon his postseason play, Jeter wouldn't. Therefore it's very hard to stand up and say "postseason great play does not matter for Jeter because of the example that Beltran gives us."

Here's the question that I want you to answer - If most of the 3k hit guys first ballot, and Biggio didn't, how would that make Jeter first balloting a crime when Jeter has the better resume? The more nuanced point of view is that Jeter and Biggio should both first ballot as 3k hit guys, and one first balloting and the other failing to do so does not preclude the first guy from deserving his first ballot.

In other words, 3k hit guys first ballot, Jeter doing so and Biggio not isn't just based on Jeter playing for the team that you hate.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not missing the point, you just don't have much of one. Biggio did not play on a team of prolific teams, right, but he still managed to end up with more plate appearances, right? Did you not just talk about plate appearances in your argument? Wasn't there something about carrying a team? That argument is a little strange to me in regards to Biggio because wasn't he part of a tandem called the "Killer B's?" So, no, I don't respect the "carry the team argument," and I don't respect the plate appearance argument, either.

Jeter is a baseball legend. The guys who have 3k hits are legends. That was the way it was back then, and that's the way it is now. . Beltran is the greatest postseason hitter, at least that seems to be his title. But, he's not considered to be one of the best regular season players at his position. Your rebuttal doesn't work because Jeter has a claim to being a legitimate first ballot guy based off of regular season play anyway. That distinguishes him Beltran; Beltran going into the Hall would have to rely solely upon his postseason play, Jeter wouldn't. Therefore it's very hard to stand up and say "postseason great play does not matter for Jeter because of the example that Beltran gives us."

Here's the question that I want you to answer - If most of the 3k hit guys first ballot, and Biggio didn't, how would that make Jeter first balloting a crime when Jeter has the better resume? The more nuanced point of view is that Jeter and Biggio should both first ballot as 3k hit guys, and one first balloting and the other failing to do so does not preclude the first guy from deserving his first ballot.

In other words, 3k hit guys first ballot, Jeter doing so and Biggio not isn't just based on Jeter playing for the team that you hate.

Let me handle the simple things first...Not every 3k hitter was a first ballot HOF...the killer B's were Biggio, Bagwell and Berkman. Not ARod, Teixiera, Posada, Williams, Cano, Soriano, Giambi, Mondesi, Sheffield, Mussina, Petitte, Sabathia, Rivera, etc.

But you did prove my point for me. You just assessed that Jeter was a better regular season player than Beltran and that Beltran would have to rely on his post-season numbers to get into the Hall. However...in 3 less years, Beltran has better numbers in HR, RBI, SB, SLG and OPS and he has ALWAYS been a better defensive player than Jeter. The ONLY major statistic that Jeter leads in? 2,470 singles.

So basically, you just admitted you were jaded by Jeter's singles and the team he played for because you obviously didnt compare the accomplishments and skills of the two players.

By the way...I have always been a fan of many Yankee players and respected their careers. My hatred of the team has nothing to do with the players.

Poet
02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Let me handle the simple things first...Not every 3k hitter was a first ballot HOF...the killer B's were Biggio, Bagwell and Berkman. Not ARod, Teixiera, Posada, Williams, Cano, Soriano, Giambi, Mondesi, Sheffield, Mussina, Petitte, Sabathia, Rivera, etc.

But you did prove my point for me. You just assessed that Jeter was a better regular season player than Beltran and that Beltran would have to rely on his post-season numbers to get into the Hall. However...in 3 less years, Beltran has better numbers in HR, RBI, SB, SLG and OPS and he has ALWAYS been a better defensive player than Jeter. The ONLY major statistic that Jeter leads in? 2,470 singles.

So basically, you just admitted you were jaded by Jeter's singles and the team he played for because you obviously didnt compare the accomplishments and skills of the two players.

By the way...I have always been a fan of many Yankee players and respected their careers. My hatred of the team has nothing to do with the players.

Beltran's average is lower than Jeter, and he better have better power numbers because Jeter plays shortstop. You expect different offensive outputs from different positions and you know that. It's hard to validate the claim that he's better defensively than Jeter, too. Gold Glove count goes to Jeter. Apples to oranges comparisons are tempting, but note quite fruitful. Get it?

Also, your argument for Beltran isn't very convincing either. Beltran might be the best postseason player ever. Jeter is considered to be one of them as well. Just because Jeter is not as good as the best postseason player ever doesn't diminish what he did in the postseason. One of these guys is a stud in the regular season and the postseason. The other is a stud in the postseason. Granted Beltran could make the HoF depending on how hard the voters take the stance that they want to put people in from the steroid era that they think did NOT cheat. But, when I think of greatness, it's not an outfielder who is going to end up with 375 dingers, a .280 average, and

Not every single 3k hitter is a first ballot, but what I posted shows that most of them. So in other words, Coach, when it comes down to Jeter first balloting, well, there's a lot of precedent for that. I also have a hard time attributing Jeter's great posteason play his pitchers. I mean, they're not quite helping him when he's up to bat. They're not helping him field, either. Are they helping him win games? Well, of course. But then again, if you take Jeter off the Yankees they probably lose to the A's in 02, they lose to the Sox and send Boston to the WS a few years earlier as well.

It's been a good debate Coach.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Beltran's average is lower than Jeter, and he better have better power numbers because Jeter plays shortstop. You expect different offensive outputs from different positions and you know that. It's hard to validate the claim that he's better defensively than Jeter, too. Gold Glove count goes to Jeter. Apples to oranges comparisons are tempting, but note quite fruitful. Get it?

Also, your argument for Beltran isn't very convincing either. Beltran might be the best postseason player ever. Jeter is considered to be one of them as well. Just because Jeter is not as good as the best postseason player ever doesn't diminish what he did in the postseason. One of these guys is a stud in the regular season and the postseason. The other is a stud in the postseason. Granted Beltran could make the HoF depending on how hard the voters take the stance that they want to put people in from the steroid era that they think did NOT cheat. But, when I think of greatness, it's not an outfielder who is going to end up with 375 dingers, a .280 average, and

Not every single 3k hitter is a first ballot, but what I posted shows that most of them. So in other words, Coach, when it comes down to Jeter first balloting, well, there's a lot of precedent for that. I also have a hard time attributing Jeter's great posteason play his pitchers. I mean, they're not quite helping him when he's up to bat. They're not helping him field, either. Are they helping him win games? Well, of course. But then again, if you take Jeter off the Yankees they probably lose to the A's in 02, they lose to the Sox and send Boston to the WS a few years earlier as well.

It's been a good debate Coach.

I think we have to be discussing the same topic for it to be a debate...but OK. ;)

Poet
02-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I think we have to be discussing the same topic for it to be a debate...but OK. ;)

He's going to retire seventh in all-time hits. First ballot that ass, girl.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
He's going to retire seventh in all-time hits. First ballot that ass, girl.

Next you'll be telling me he's the best overall shortstop to play the game

Dapper Dan
02-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Oh. I get it. Like if John Elway played for the Browns he would have been a bust like pretty much all other Browns QBs

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Oh. I get it. Like if John Elway played for the Browns he would have been a bust like pretty much all other Browns QBs

Tough to compare it with any other sport because the salary structures and caps prevent large market teams from having a dynasty anymore.

Poet
02-14-2014, 04:20 PM

I just read an article about Jeter's last season from Sporting News, which has pretty solid stuff. They argued, well, the author argued, that if Jeter stays healthy this year he can pass three guys on the list. Then again, he is tenth all-time hits.

CoachChaz
02-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I just read an article about Jeter's last season from Sporting News, which has pretty solid stuff. They argued, well, the author argued, that if Jeter stays healthy this year he can pass three guys on the list. Then again, he is tenth all-time hits.

I believe he is actually 9th

Poet
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I believe he is actually 9th

**** sportings news, honkey.

Devilspawn
02-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Some (old people) will argue he's not even the best Yankee shortstop. Phil Rizzuto while not putting up all the big numbers as Jeter was just as important for more championships, albeit for a bigger juggernaut.

OB
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Some (old people) will argue he's not even the best Yankee shortstop. Phil Rizzuto while not putting up all the big numbers as Jeter was just as important for more championships, albeit for a bigger juggernaut.

I LOVED listening to Phil call the games on the radio - its going, going, going..........and caught by the pitcher. :laugh:

OB
04-01-2014, 08:54 AM
In honor of the Yankees opening day AND my mans last season

http://m.mlb.com/video/v13312633/nyycle-jeter-hits-first-homer-against-the-indians/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140401_21051074

Gave me chills - and how lucky was the guy who caught that ball!!!!

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I would imagine there will be a long cheer in his first at bat at home for his final season in about 25 minutes or so

He's batting second today, so he will be up in the first. It's on MLB Network.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Go O's!!

OB
04-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Go O's!!

:eviltongue:

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Go O's!!

Oh, definitely.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I would love nothing more than to spoil their home opener

OB
04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Oh, definitely.

:lalala:

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Tell me David Lough is just giving someone a day off in the lead off position...

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
LOL

Astros fans gave him a better first reception. Lame.

Yankees fans suck.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Tell me David Lough is just giving someone a day off in the lead off position...

Against RH, Markakis will lead off and Cruz plays LF with Young at DH. Against RH, Lough plays LF and leads off (purely based on speed) and Cruz is DH. I think once Machado is back, this will change and Markakis will lead off and Lough will bat 9th.

Personally...I would have preferred to keep Valencia. But who knows...maybe Lough pans out. At least his defense is good.

OB
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Why would you do a home opener in the middle of a day on the weekday

But then again the average working man cant afford a bleacher seat in Yankee stadium so....

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Against RH, Markakis will lead off and Cruz plays LF with Young at DH. Against RH, Lough plays LF and leads off (purely based on speed) and Cruz is DH. I think once Machado is back, this will change and Markakis will lead off and Lough will bat 9th.

Personally...I would have preferred to keep Valencia. But who knows...maybe Lough pans out. At least his defense is good.

I completely forgot about the deal until yesterday and Valencia got the start over Moustakas. He went 1-4, but it was against Sale. The Royals never hit Sale.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Why would you do a home opener in the middle of a day on the weekday

But then again the average working man cant afford a bleacher seat in Yankee stadium so....

Probably because almost every team has their home opener as a day game.

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Way to go Cruz.

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Probably because almost every team has their home opener as a day game.

There were only three night openers, I think. All for ESPN purposes.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I completely forgot about the deal until yesterday and Valencia got the start over Moustakas. He went 1-4, but it was against Sale. The Royals never hit Sale.

If Valencia gets enough AB's, he could be another 20 HR bat. I like him.

Right now I'm just praying for Machado and Hardy to get healthy. Despite missing 2 gold glovers, the bottom of our lineup is horrible. Flaherty, Lombardozzi and Schoop dont scare anyone

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Way to go Cruz.

Fortunately...we didnt acquire him for his baserunning prowess. However...he's usually actually pretty good on the bases.

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Right now I'm just praying for Machado and Hardy to get healthy. Despite missing 2 gold glovers, the bottom of our lineup is horrible. Flaherty, Lombardozzi and Schoop dont scare anyone

Maybe it's for the best, I just don't like platooning two young bats like Valencia and Moustakas. That's for journeymen vets and AAAA players. The problem is there isn't a spot on the field where either could play besides 3B (for the Royals, specifically). And DH is Butler and more Butler.

CoachChaz
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Maybe it's for the best, I just don't like platooning two young bats like Valencia and Moustakas. That's for journeymen vets and AAAA players. The problem is there isn't a spot on the field where either could play besides 3B (for the Royals, specifically). And DH is Butler and more Butler.

Valencia can play OF as well. He'll be a guy that gets ABs against lefties and gives rest at 3B, DH and OF. Solid bat on the bench

MOtorboat
04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Valencia can play OF as well. He'll be a guy that gets ABs against lefties and gives rest at 3B, DH and OF. Solid bat on the bench

If he really is a 20-25 HR guy, I'd rather have him out there than Justin Maxwell.

OB
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
The Yankees win - the yankeeesss wiiinnnnnnnnnnn:elefant:

CoachChaz
04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
The Yankees win - the yankeeesss wiiinnnnnnnnnnn:elefant:

Check out today's score, OB

OB
04-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Check out today's score, OB

:hand:

Dapper Dan
07-15-2014, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03_bNuihLU

MOtorboat
08-25-2014, 06:02 PM
**** the Yankees. Tonight Derek can suck a dick.

OB
08-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Hey hey hey there potty mouth

MOtorboat
08-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Hey hey hey there potty mouth

DP. He likes DPs.

Devilspawn
08-25-2014, 07:10 PM
As long as the KC crowd gives him ANOTHER standing ovation as he tickles the balls...

MOtorboat
08-25-2014, 07:28 PM
As long as the KC crowd gives him ANOTHER standing ovation as he tickles the balls...

I wonder how many of those "Yankees fans" could find New York on a map?

OB
08-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Go DJ that's my DJ :D

MOtorboat
08-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Welp. That's what I get.

OB
08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
It's ok Mo. Many have made the same mistake :cheers:

OB
08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
I prolly just jinxed them :lol:

CoachChaz
09-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Forecast for Thursday in NY is 3 inches of rain. Might be kind of funny to see Jeter's last home game get rained out. Especially considering how much money people are paying for tickets to the game.

OB
10-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Forecast for Thursday in NY is 3 inches of rain. Might be kind of funny to see Jeter's last home game get rained out. Especially considering how much money people are paying for tickets to the game.

Even mother nature loves Derek Jeter :D

I will admit - I cried - like cried, cried :bawling: - in the beginning, at the end and when i re-watched it

Love you Captain Re2pect!!! :salute:

slim
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Thank God we don't have to hear this shit anymore.

chazoe60
10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Thank God we don't have to hear this shit anymore.

I agree. These year long retirement tours are ******* ridiculous. Everyone should retire like Helton did. He got one day at the park devoted to him and he didn't look comfortable with even that. He was gracious and thankful but I got the impression he didn't like the attention. I took my son to that game it was his last game at Coors field, Todd hit a HR it was pretty badass.

Poet
10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
I agree. These year long retirement tours are ******* ridiculous. Everyone should retire like Helton did. He got one day at the park devoted to him and he didn't look comfortable with even that. He was gracious and thankful but I got the impression he didn't like the attention. I took my son to that game it was his last game at Coors field, Todd hit a HR it was pretty badass.

I understand the sentiments that you hold. I enjoyed the Jeter retirement, though, as it felt fitting for that kind of guy to go out that way. He's a Yankee, everything about the Yankees are aggrandized. It would have felt strange to see Jeter go out the way Helton did. This of course does not mean that you are wrong because you're distinguishing what things should be like from how things are. In a way, huge retirements are a sort of hubris in the sense that the game existed before, and will exist after, the player departs. Maybe in some cases the hubris falls more on the fanbase and media than the actual player itself.

chazoe60
10-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I understand the sentiments that you hold. I enjoyed the Jeter retirement, though, as it felt fitting for that kind of guy to go out that way. He's a Yankee, everything about the Yankees are aggrandized. It would have felt strange to see Jeter go out the way Helton did. This of course does not mean that you are wrong because you're distinguishing what things should be like from how things are. In a way, huge retirements are a sort of hubris in the sense that the game existed before, and will exist after, the player departs. Maybe in some cases the hubris falls more on the fanbase and media than the actual player itself.

I put no blame whatsoever on Jeter himself. I don't believe he orchestrated any of this. The only culpability he has is in his early announcement of his retirement. He had to know this was coming after the Chipper Jones retirement tour.

BTW remember when Chipper was slaying so much ass that he had to use the "I'm a sex addict, it's a desease" excuse? That was pimp.