PDA

View Full Version : Elway is now GM along with a new 3 year contract

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25123279/broncos-extend-john-elways-contract-add-gm-title

In contract and title, the Broncos have extended their relationship with John Elway.

The most famous employee in team history, Elway has received a three-year contract extension from the Broncos while also tacking on the title, "general manager" to his current position of executive vice president of football operations, according to an NFL source.

Until the new deal, Elway was entering the final year on the original contract he signed with the Broncos and owner Pat Bowlen in January, 2011.

Read more: Broncos extend John Elway's contract; add GM to title - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25123279/broncos-extend-john-elways-contract-add-gm-title#ixzz2t80Xzvcg
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Sooooooo...since the big guy gets an extension before his contract was up...makes it a bit harder to tell Knighton and some of our other guys to test the market and find their value. :laugh:

claymore
02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I hope Elway ends up owning the Broncos when Bowlen kicks the bucket.

MOtorboat
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Sooooooo...since the big guy gets an extension before his contract was up...makes it a bit harder to tell Knighton and some of our other guys to test the market and find their value. :laugh:

Actually, I would think this would give Elway more authority in signing, extending or not signing, extending players.

BroncoJoe
02-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Actually, I would think this would give Elway more authority in signing, extending or not signing, extending players.

That, and the fact that Elway's salary doesn't count against the cap.

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:17 PM

I agree, it would. But...Elway has already said he plans on letting the players test the market to create the value.

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:17 PM
I know it doesn't count against the cap, but it creates a level of it's ok for me, but not for you.

claymore
02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
I know it doesn't count against the cap, but it creates a level of it's ok for me, but not for you.

In Elway's defense he likes contract extensions and not "new deals", and testing the free agent market is the only fair way to gauge one's value to the league. Doomervil comes to mind. I think he overvalued his bad self. I see what you are saying though.

Northman
02-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Yea, i think your initial comment went over their heads a bit. lol

BroncoJoe
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM

If he gave into everyone who wanted a larger contract, we'd be fielding a team of 10 players.

Totally different IMO.

BroncoJoe
02-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Yea, i think your initial comment went over their heads a bit. lol

No, just that they're two different things entirely. Testing the market sets the bar so both parties know where they need to be.

BroncoNut
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
is this an old thread? what was he operations manager or something before?

Northman
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
No, just that they're two different things entirely. Testing the market sets the bar so both parties know where they need to be.

I think your still missing the basis of her point. Its really not about whether he will or wont sign/extend anyone. Its that if your Manning all the way down to Prater and you want an extension (a good example would be Knighton right now) if John came out and said no it could ruffle some feathers with the players as you say one thing and do another. Now, i dont think it will come down to that but that is basically what GEM was eluding too.

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
You signed a contract, you live up to that contract. He can't really say that with a straight face now.

GEM
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I just found it a bit ironic with all the talk about Knighton right now. :)

BroncoJoe
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I think your still missing the basis of her point. Its really not about whether he will or wont sign/extend anyone. Its that if your Manning all the way down to Prater and you want an extension (a good example would be Knighton right now) if John came out and said no it could ruffle some feathers with the players as you say one thing and do another. Now, i dont think it will come down to that but that is basically what GEM was eluding too.

I get it, just think it's two different situations. Bowlen doesn't have a cap to deal with in terms of his team leadership. Elway does. Either way, I get what she was saying, just think it's an unrealistic comparison. That, and do we know if Elway went to Bowlen and asked for an extension? My guess is no. It was just offered.

Then again, I'm not a player... :D

ShaneFalco
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
who else would? Does bowlen have a son?

BroncoNut
02-12-2014, 12:48 PM

probably

claymore
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
who else would? Does bowlen have a son?

I read about it awhile ago and I dont think his family wants the team. I think Kaiser died, so that should negate the first right of refusal that the original purchase agreement had in it.

Tned
02-12-2014, 01:11 PM
There you go. For those not happy with Elway's stewardship of the team, now that he's GM, I'm sure he'll make more pleasing moves. Maybe even get the team to the SB or something like that.

Slick
02-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Meh, life isn't fair. He's freaking John Elway. When Knighton leads the Broncos to 5 Superbowls he can receive John Elway status.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I agree, it would. But...Elway has already said he plans on letting the players test the market to create the value.

To me, this is smart. The Broncos have the option to match any offer. Also, there is the possibility of a player taking a little less, because he prefers staying with the Broncos.

Tned
02-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Meh, life isn't fair. He's freaking John Elway. When Knighton leads the Broncos to 5 Superbowls he can receive John Elway status.

Yea, but Knighton has only one SB loss to Elway's three, so one could argue that Knighton is ahead in the loss column.

Northman
02-12-2014, 01:22 PM
There you go. For those not happy with Elway's stewardship of the team, now that he's GM, I'm sure he'll make more pleasing moves. Maybe even get the team to the SB or something like that.

Do you think he will win it when he gets there?

MOtorboat
02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
You signed a contract, you live up to that contract. He can't really say that with a straight face now.

I'm not following here. He didn't hold out for more money, he got an extension on his original contract.

So now he doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations with players who want extensions?

Buff
02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Did GEM really compare John Elway to Terrance Knighton?

:ban:

claymore
02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Thats like comparing Filet Mignon to Pot Roast. :SMH:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm not following here. He didn't hold out for more money, he got an extension on his original contract.

So now he doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations with players who want extensions?

I am sure that Elway did not say anything about wanting an extension, but rather was offered one.

GEM
02-12-2014, 02:05 PM

I just might ban myself.

BroncoNut
02-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I just might ban myself.

please dear God do it.

Buff
02-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Thats like comparing Filet Mignon to Pot Roast. :SMH:

I c wut u did thur.

MOtorboat
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I am sure that Elway did not say anything about wanting an extension, but rather was offered one.

I'm sure Elway and Bowlen discussed it, along with organizational makeup.

It's pretty common practice for coaches and GM's to not be on lame duck contracts, though. Look at Rex Ryan. The Jets keep extending him, but it also seems like he's just short of being fired. Coaches and GMs are also in a different boat because there's not a collective bargaining agreement for management.

I suppose I can understand the viewpoint that Elway needs to now give extensions to players who people feel deserve it like Knighton. But my personal opinion is that his contract shouldn't have a bearing on his negotiations with players because of the completely different processes behind both.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I read about it awhile ago and I dont think his family wants the team. I think Kaiser died, so that should negate the first right of refusal that the original purchase agreement had in it.

Broncos staying in the family

No matter how much winning helps make time fly, it waits for no one. Time reaches that point where one has to think about the day it runs out.

"If something were to happen to me, I've already made this clear: This team is going to stay in the Bowlen family no matter what," Bowlen said. "It's a great asset. And it's a lot of fun if you do it right."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23885888/this-is-fans-team-its-not-my-team

article was written August 18, 2013

claymore
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
please dear God do it.

Hopefully Gem makes it worth it prior to banning herself!

claymore
02-12-2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23885888/this-is-fans-team-its-not-my-team

article was written August 18, 2013

Thanks Carol, the article I read was much older. Or im on crack. One of the 2.

MOtorboat
02-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks Carol, the article I read was much older. Or im on crack. One of the 2.

Yeah. One of the two.

:coffee:

claymore
02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah. One of the two.

:coffee:
Probably both. :)

vettesplus
02-12-2014, 03:18 PM
is it really fair to compare a union member contract situation with a management contract situation, not in the real world. but I forgot this is the nfl!!!!

RebelRocker
02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25123279/broncos-extend-john-elways-contract-add-gm-title

I was really happy reading this article until I reached the last sentence about Fox. Is it just me, or do I want the "not too shabby guy" to prove his worth and actually put together a really good coaching job when it matters? Who cares about breaking records and winning in the regular season if you shit your pants and completely fail when it matters most. I'd rather go 9-7 and win super bowls than go 13-3 and get humiliated for all the world to see.

OrangeHoof
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
The difference is that General Managers don't go on Injured Reserve. Nobody worries if John Elway is going to be healthy enough to last an entire season. That and there's no salary cap so, unless Elway reveals a CTE from all the pounding his head took playing football, Bowlen is certain to get his money's worth. Players, OTOH, are always one snap away from being unable to contribute.

OrangeHoof
02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
I was really happy reading this article until I reached the last sentence about Fox. Is it just me, or do I want the "not too shabby guy" to prove his worth and actually put together a really good coaching job when it matters? Who cares about breaking records and winning in the regular season if you shit your pants and completely fail when it matters most. I'd rather go 9-7 and win super bowls than go 13-3 and get humiliated for all the world to see.

How come nobody says this about our prodigy wunderkind Adam Gase? Isn't he the guy most responsible for the offense going tango uniform in the biggest game of the year? Fox and Del Rio are defense-oriented coaches.

claymore
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
How come nobody says this about our prodigy wunderkind Adam Gase? Isn't he the guy most responsible for the offense going tango uniform in the biggest game of the year? Fox and Del Rio are defense-oriented coaches.

We were out coached in every phase of the game. I bet even their equipment managers out managed our equipment managers.

Northman
02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
We were out coached in every phase of the game. I bet even their equipment managers out managed our equipment managers.

Indeed. Im also pretty sure that Seattle's waterboy was much faster than ours.

claymore
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Indeed. Im also pretty sure that Seattle's waterboy was much faster than ours.

He's probably on PED's too. SOB. :SMH:

Lancane
02-12-2014, 06:30 PM

I remember that Shanahan was not too shabby either, except that after his three years of dominance the Broncos slowly faded into obscurity give 2005. How many .500 seasons did we have to endure? Not to mention had to live with a season almost two with McDaniels. Even under Fox his first year we remained a .500 club, it wasn't till we landed Manning that it changed, and I am pretty positive that had Manning went to Tennessee that we'd be talking about who would be hired as the next head coach not an extension for John Fox.

DenBronx
02-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Elways a winner. He has always been a winner.

Its not a question of if but its when he will win us another Super Bowl. We will be back and next time we will win.

DenBronx
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM

Its hard to pin that loss on any one thing, coach or player. That was just a total team collapse.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
As the Broncos' president and a longtime trusted employee of owner Pat Bowlen for three decades, Joe Ellis has been around his share of leaders.

He has worked with ticketing directors, market executives, stadium construction foremen and head coaches who also ran the Broncos' football department such as Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips, Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels.

For the past three years, Ellis has observed John Elway lead the Broncos' football operations department. Ellis was asked: What makes Elway's leadership style unique?

"He is steady under fire," Ellis said immediately. "That doesn't happen with everyone who leads football teams. Even the best of people sometimes lose track of their composure. That doesn't happen with John Elway. He knows how to push all the right buttons, and he stays calm and collected. It's an impressive character trait. It's one he had as a player, and it's one he has an executive."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25123279/broncos-extend-john-elways-contract-add-gm-title