PDA

View Full Version : Strength of schedule: Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Denver Broncos coach John Fox has always tried to swat away any and all discussion about the potential difficulty of the next season's schedule.

"That's because they're all hard, they're all difficult," Fox said. "The people in this league are the best in the world at what they do. And the prognosticators don't always have it down. People were talking about our division before the season started like it was one of the worst and it turned out to be one of the best. So our approach has always been we know we'll have 16 [games] in the regular season and we'll be there and play."

Fox may want to hope it doesn't turn out the way the numbers crunch at the moment. The Broncos won't know specific dates until some time in April, but the early returns are that their 2014 slate computes to be one of the league's toughest after 2013's run to the Super Bowl.

Overall, the Broncos, based on 2013 records, will have the second-most difficult strength of schedule next season (opponents had a .570 winning percentage overall). Their home opponents had a .555 winning percentage last season -- tied for fifth-most difficult -- and the road opponents had a .586 winning percentage.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5022/strength-of-schedule-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
from same article:

The Broncos will also go to New England -- again -- so at least they know what hotels they like. Denver has played one road game in Foxborough, Mass., in each of the past three seasons and in four of the past six years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5022/strength-of-schedule-broncos

Timmy!
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Other than the Colts and Bengals, the whole division has to deal with a tough schedule. Broncos will be fine.

topscribe
02-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Other than the Colts and Bengals, the whole division has to deal with a tough schedule. Broncos will be fine.
Well, people are talking about toughness right now. The Broncos will have to wade
their way through the entire NFCW. If that doesn't toughen them up some, I don't
know what will . . .

Nomad
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
NFL, please schedule BRONCOS/Seahawks between Dec 20 - Jan 2 so I can go to the game. I'll be in town during that time. TIA!:lol:

Shazam!
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
In years past when Denver was thought to have an easy schedule they'd fall badly down the stretch.

broncohead
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Now people (other fans/critics) can shut up when we make the playoffs

whiteniko
02-10-2014, 10:27 PM
This is not college football. As long as we kick the shit out of the rest of the AFC West, we will be fine.

luckyseven
02-11-2014, 01:51 AM
from same article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/5022/strength-of-schedule-broncos

go figure. one of these days just maybe Kraft will not be on the scheduling committee..

Magnificent Seven
02-11-2014, 02:41 AM
from same article:

I hope NFL will put Broncos vs Patriots game in Sept. Warm game for Manning.

zbeg
02-12-2014, 04:01 AM
go figure. one of these days just maybe Kraft will not be on the scheduling committee..

That has nothing to do with it. It's a predetermined formula that was set over a decade ago. Nobody's rigging the schedule. That's just how it worked out.

TXBRONC
02-12-2014, 08:22 AM
So on paper as February 12, 2014 the schedule looks imposing well see how it looks once the season actually gets under way.

MasterShake
02-12-2014, 08:42 AM
So on paper as February 12, 2014 the schedule looks imposing well see how it looks once the season actually gets under way.

I think these things are as worthless as preseason Power Rankings. Show me how our strength of schedule looks after the season finishes up.

TXBRONC
02-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I think these things are as worthless as preseason Power Rankings. Show me how our strength of schedule looks after the season finishes up.

I've never been into power rankings because they're meaningless. My guess is that playing the NFC West isn't going be cake walk but we don't what those teams will look like when Denver meets this year.

Runamok
02-12-2014, 10:24 AM

100% this ^^^^

luckyseven
02-12-2014, 10:31 PM
That has nothing to do with it. It's a predetermined formula that was set over a decade ago. Nobody's rigging the schedule. That's just how it worked out.

Seriously 4 times in the regular season in NE in the last 5 years was predetermined.

I believe you are wrong.

zbeg
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Seriously 4 times in the regular season in NE in the last 5 years was predetermined.

I believe you are wrong.

Yes, it's predetermined. And guess what: we play in New England in 2017.And if the Broncos and Patriots win their divisions this year, the Broncos are going to play the Patriots in Denver in 2015, but if they win their divisions in 2015, Denver goes back to New England in 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_regular_season#Formula
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/future_schedules.htm

VonDoom
02-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Yes, it's predetermined. And guess what: we play in New England in 2017.And if the Broncos and Patriots win their divisions this year, the Broncos are going to play the Patriots in Denver in 2015, but if they win their divisions in 2015, Denver goes back to New England in 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_regular_season#Formula
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/future_schedules.htm

I'm not sure why people have a hard time believing that it's predetermined. I've been over this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. Also, the pro football reference schedule listed here is wrong - we'll play NE in 2017 at home, guaranteed. As I've previously said:

I was just doing some research on this, and it is true - there is a method to the NFL's madness. Since the 2002 expansion, the schedule has been created the same way (as outlined above). We always play our division (duh), and the AFC and NFC divisions we play are mapped out far in advance (or at least until another expansion). The only games that differ year to year are the team finishing in the same spot in the other two AFC divisions we don't play. This is on a six year cycle in terms of home and away games. It's gone like this so far:

2003 - vs AFC East, at AFC South
2004 - vs AFC East, at AFC North
2005 - vs AFC North, at AFC South
2006 - at AFC East, vs AFC South
2007 - at AFC East, vs AFC North
2008 - at AFC North, vs AFC South

2009-2014 were on that exact schedule. That's why 2012 and 2013 were guaranteed road games against the AFC East team that finished in the same slot we did; in both of these last two years, that slot was 1st place, and the corresponding team was the Patriots. As the cycle reverses, though, we should be playing at home against the AFC East team in 2015 and 2016. So if it's still the Patriots, we would get home games against them in back to back years. Not to mention that we play the AFC East every three years, so in 2017, our home/away games should be flipped and we'll get yet another home game against the Patriots.

topscribe
02-13-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure why people have a hard time believing that it's predetermined. I've been over this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. Also, the pro football reference schedule listed here is wrong - we'll play NE in 2017 at home, guaranteed. As I've previously said:

I was just doing some research on this, and it is true - there is a method to the NFL's madness. Since the 2002 expansion, the schedule has been created the same way (as outlined above). We always play our division (duh), and the AFC and NFC divisions we play are mapped out far in advance (or at least until another expansion). The only games that differ year to year are the team finishing in the same spot in the other two AFC divisions we don't play. This is on a six year cycle in terms of home and away games. It's gone like this so far:

2003 - vs AFC East, at AFC South
2004 - vs AFC East, at AFC North
2005 - vs AFC North, at AFC South
2006 - at AFC East, vs AFC South
2007 - at AFC East, vs AFC North
2008 - at AFC North, vs AFC South

2009-2014 were on that exact schedule. That's why 2012 and 2013 were guaranteed road games against the AFC East team that finished in the same slot we did; in both of these last two years, that slot was 1st place, and the corresponding team was the Patriots. As the cycle reverses, though, we should be playing at home against the AFC East team in 2015 and 2016. So if it's still the Patriots, we would get home games against them in back to back years. Not to mention that we play the AFC East every three years, so in 2017, our home/away games should be flipped and we'll get yet another home game against the Patriots.
Thank you. Glad to see somebody do some research before posting an argument.