PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Chris Harris undergoes successful knee surgery, ready for RFA

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2014, 12:37 PM
All went about as well as an ACL surgery could go for Broncos cornerback Chris Harris. Dr. James Andrews learned during his surgery Thursday in Pensacola, Fla., that the trauma to Harris' left knee was restricted to the ACL. There was no other ligament or cartilage damage, according to an NFL source.

And the ACL was only partially torn. So Harris' recovery is promising as he enters restricted free agency (RFA), which means the Broncos have the right to match any contract another team may offer.

RFAs rarely draw interest because of the compensating draft pick an opposing team would have to surrender, along with a new contract.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25104053/broncos-chris-harris-undergoes-successful-knee-surgery-ready-restricted-free-agency

Lancane
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Harris is slightly different, he has proven time and time again that he's resilient and successful in the starting lineup. I wouldn't consider him a #1 corner, but for a team who needs a #2, giving up a high mid round pick could be smarter then risking the lottery.

SR
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Considering the status of our secondary as it concerns our depth and starters (Moore, Champ, DRC, Adams? Nacho?, Harris) I would venture to say the Broncos won't let Harris go. A draft pick is an unknown and we know what Harris can do. He's worth matching offers for because no NFL team is likely to offer him more than $4-5mil per year. Denver can afford him and they need to afford DRC.

Sorry for the Joel-like mini-tangent.

MileHighCrew
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
He wont be going anywhere, I think Harris and DRC will be starting

Lancane
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm not saying he will be going, I am saying he'll draw interest and I believe Denver wants that to set his value.

Joel
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
He wont be going anywhere, I think Harris and DRC will be starting
That's my bet, and certainly my hope, along with hopes and prayers he makes a full recovery. I just hope NFL docs took note of the ALLs discovery and the susceptibility to ACL tears it creates.

spikerman
02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Denver's secondary is definitely a weak spot, but I'm anxious to see how much Webster improves in year two. He's got all of the physical skills and now he's got some experience. I think he can be a solid CB.

BroncoWave
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM
My plan for the secondary would be to match any offer Harris gets, give DRC a big deal, and restructure or cut Champ. I'd also try to bring in a big free agent safety and send Tony Carter as far away from this team as possible and pray he gets signed by a team that we play next year.

Buff
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Feel bad for Harris - he earned a new contract and tearing an ACL headed into a contract year as a former UDFA is pretty shitty luck.

Buff
02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
My plan for the secondary would be to match any offer Harris gets, give DRC a big deal, and restructure or cut Champ. I'd also try to bring in a big free agent safety and send Tony Carter as far away from this team as possible and pray he gets signed by a team that we play next year.

Yeah - I hope Tony Carter and Quintin Jammer sign with another AFC West team.

BroncoWave
02-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah - I hope Tony Carter and Quintin Jammer sign with another AFC West team.

Forgot about Jammer. Yeah, him too. Carter has had a weird career. He looked really good as a rookie, and he just fell off a cliff after that. He just has no idea how to play CB effectively. It would not shock me if Carter and Jammer have played their last snaps in the NFL.

Buff
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Forgot about Jammer. Yeah, him too. Carter has had a weird career. He looked really good as a rookie, and he just fell off a cliff after that. He just has no idea how to play CB effectively. It would not shock me if Carter and Jammer have played their last snaps in the NFL.

Yeah - last year he looked promising. This year he was a complete train wreck. I hope his PI penalty in the SB was his last as a Bronco.

SR
02-10-2014, 05:35 PM
That's my bet, and certainly my hope, along with hopes and prayers he makes a full recovery. I just hope NFL docs took note of the ALLs discovery and the susceptibility to ACL tears it creates.

You know what I bet? I bet the doctors performing these surgeries probably don't care about that ligament or advances in medicine or their practice. They probably just turn a blind eye to it.

SR
02-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Feel bad for Harris - he earned a new contract and tearing an ACL headed into a contract year as a former UDFA is pretty shitty luck.

Shitty luck for him in free agency, maybe, but good for us. There probably won't be many teams that will want to take a chance on a corner coming off of an ACL tear even if it's "just" a partial tear.

Buff
02-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Shitty luck for him in free agency, maybe, but good for us. There probably won't be many teams that will want to take a chance on a corner coming off of an ACL tear even if it's "just" a partial tear.

Yeah, probably not for a new contract AND a draft pick. It plays into our hands a bit. Same with all the Von drama/injury and his price tag...

But then again, I would rather have had both of them healthy to hoist the Lombardi and then worry about overpaying them later.

SR
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah, probably not for a new contract AND a draft pick. It plays into our hands a bit. Same with all the Von drama/injury and his price tag...

But then again, I would rather have had both of them healthy to hoist the Lombardi and then worry about overpaying them later.

Von is a different story. There probably aren't many teams out there that wouldn't be willing to take a risk with him because he's an all-world talent.

Joel
02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Denver's secondary is definitely a weak spot, but I'm anxious to see how much Webster improves in year two. He's got all of the physical skills and now he's got some experience. I think he can be a solid CB.
Also what I've been thinking/hoping. He got abused as #2 CB half the season, but he DOES have the talent, so hopefully that baptism of fire taught him a lot of the skill. If so, and Harris fully recovers, re-signing DRC should give us an elite starting CB trio (better than Seattles, though their far better safeties compensate.) If Champ does a new deal and moves to FS, we'd have a great centerfielder there with a Duke as a fine thumper at SS. That leaves Carter (who probably won't get much as an RFA, so should be matchable) as dimebackup; I'm good with that.

I realize there are several big "if"s there, but our secondary situation isn't as grim as many believe. We mainly need depth, and maybe not even that if Moore's healthy and/or Adams re-signs.

You know what I bet? I bet the doctors performing these surgeries probably don't care about that ligament or advances in medicine or their practice. They probably just turn a blind eye to it.
No, I'm sure they do, but they can't keep up on every single piece of news, even in their field; no one can. If it hadn't been found just last November, and wasn't so hard to see it remained hidden throughout >2000 years of professional anatomy study at the highest levels, I wouldn't worry. It was and it did so I am; in a year or two it would be different, but we're not there.

Davii
02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Also what I've been thinking/hoping. He got abused as #2 CB half the season, but he DOES have the talent, so hopefully that baptism of fire taught him a lot of the skill. If so, and Harris fully recovers, re-signing DRC should give us an elite starting CB trio (better than Seattles, though their far better safeties compensate.) If Champ does a new deal and moves to FS, we'd have a great centerfielder there with a Duke as a fine thumper at SS. That leaves Carter (who probably won't get much as an RFA, so should be matchable) as dimebackup; I'm good with that.

I realize there are several big "if"s there, but our secondary situation isn't as grim as many believe. We mainly need depth, and maybe not even that if Moore's healthy and/or Adams re-signs.

No, I'm sure they do, but they can't keep up on every single piece of news, even in their field; no one can. If it hadn't been found just last November, and wasn't so hard to see it remained hidden throughout >2000 years of professional anatomy study at the highest levels, I wouldn't worry. It was and it did so I am; in a year or two it would be different, but we're not there.

We're talking about one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world. If there has been a recent advancement in his field, which there has, I guarantee he's pretty well read in said advancement.

SR
02-11-2014, 09:26 AM

You're right. So next time I go to my orthopedic doc about my knees, I'll be sure to tell them how to do their job.

BroncoJoe
02-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Joel: Expert on every subject known to man.