PDA

View Full Version : Jack Del Rio is coming back as Broncos defensive coordinator

Tned
02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
"@MikeKlis: Jack Del Rio is coming back as Broncos defensive coordinator. He's agreed to terms on new two-year deal. http://t.co/3H93t9hBcg"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

dogfish
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
yay?

Buff
02-06-2014, 08:08 PM
yay?

For all his faults - I'll take the continuity over bringing in some first time coordinator. We are a veteran squad - let's keep the wheels on the bus for next year.

Joel
02-06-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm cool with that. I'm still not sure he shouldn't get Foxs job; he knows how to bust heads and isn't afraid to do it, plus he knows when to throw a challenge flag (and when to NOT throw it.)

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Jack Del Rio isn't going anywhere.

The Broncos and their defensive coordinator agreed to terms Thursday on a new two-year contract. The deal is expected to be finalized Friday.

"Jack did a nice job with our defense," said John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations. "We had a lot of injuries on that defensive side and Jack did a good job holding that side together. Even in the Super Bowl, our defense kept us in the game in the first half."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25080310/jack-del-rio-retained-by-broncos-defensive-coordinator

tomjonesrocks
02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Pretty surprised considering he was interviewing in November.

slim
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Pretty surprised considering he was interviewing in November.

Are there any jobs left?

tripp
02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm ok with this. Continuity is a good thing, something we're not used to here in Denver, especially with a Defensive Coordinator. Let's get some secondary help for the love of christ.

Shazam!
02-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Better than the revolving door. Consistency is important.

TXBRONC
02-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Once all the head coaching positions were filled I had a hunch he might be back. Anyway this a good thing.

Slick
02-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Good news. I like Jack.

aberdien
02-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Best hair in the biz.

turftoad
02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
I like him too. He did a nice job with the injuries we had. Get those guys back and add a few more pieces and I think we'll be fine.

Joel
02-06-2014, 11:29 PM
"Even in the Super Bowl, our defense kept us in the game in the first half."
My favorite part about that quote, because now that Elway's said it no one will dare dispute it, so we can focus on what DID lose that game (which it sounds like may be his focus, too.)

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
. . . so we can focus on what DID lose that game (which it sounds like may be his focus, too.)

The coin toss?

turftoad
02-06-2014, 11:42 PM
My favorite part about that quote, because now that Elway's said it no one will dare dispute it, so we can focus on what DID lose that game (which it sounds like may be his focus, too.)

I said it before Elway came out and said it too, before the game was even over. Im sure most of us did. All you had to do is watch the effing game Joel. The defense was on the field pretty much the whole first half, think they were tired.

Yeah the wind was probably taken out of thier sails after Harven returned that kickoff to start the second half. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I didn't think we could come back after that the way Seattles defense was playing. Including the players.

Why do you think we all need NFL 101 all the time? It gets old Joel. Seriously.

Joel
02-07-2014, 01:04 AM
I said it before Elway came out and said it too, before the game was even over. Im sure most of us did. All you had to do is watch the effing game Joel. The defense was on the field pretty much the whole first half, think they were tired.

Yeah the wind was probably taken out of thier sails after Harven returned that kickoff to start the second half. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I didn't think we could come back after that the way Seattles defense was playing. Including the players.

Why do you think we all need NFL 101 all the time? It gets old Joel. Seriously.
Because so many people are still going on about our "awful" D as if they weren't exceptional throughout the playoffs, even against a very good SD offense that dragged ITS D to the playoffs kicking and screaming. And I agree the second half kickoff is where I pretty much gave up all hope, and wouldn't blame the D if they did, too. Somehow they STILL only allowed another 14 pts.

I get that all our injuries were at key positions and of a type that could permanently reduce or even end performance; that the state of the current depth chart depends a great deal on who comes back and to what degree. I still don't think it justifies so many people insisting we need to rebuild the whole darn thing from NT to FS.

Yet many insist nonetheless: THAT'S why I keep insistently disagreeing and why I'm glad Elway finally put it to bed by telling us what everyone SHOULD'VE seen with their own eyes.

zbeg
02-07-2014, 01:52 AM
This is good news. The Patriots were 3rd in the NFL in scoring, and the Chargers didn't get to the playoffs based on their defense. Yeah the Super Bowl was a massive disappointment, but that was a complete team collapse, not just the defense.

The Broncos had half their defensive starters out (Vickerson, Wolfe, Harris, Miller, Moore; Woodyard also had to be moved out of the starting role due to his neck injury). And these weren't just fringe guys - key players who they built the defense around. The defense was held together with glue and duct tape, the Broncos lost two of their three best run defenders and they were still able to shut down three good running teams in the playoffs.

Maybe he could have done better, but when I look at the defensive talent Denver had and I ask myself, "did the coaching staff get the most out of the talent they had?" I think it's pretty close to a yes. I don't think the Broncos were some crazy talented team on defense with all the injuries that underperformed. If anything, they overperformed. Keep JDR on, I say.

Joel
02-07-2014, 02:06 AM
This is good news. The Patriots were 3rd in the NFL in scoring, and the Chargers didn't get to the playoffs based on their defense. Yeah the Super Bowl was a massive disappointment, but that was a complete team collapse, not just the defense.

The Broncos had half their defensive starters out (Vickerson, Wolfe, Harris, Miller, Moore; Woodyard also had to be moved out of the starting role due to his neck injury). And these weren't just fringe guys - key players who they built the defense around. The defense was held together with glue and duct tape, the Broncos lost two of their three best run defenders and they were still able to shut down three good running teams in the playoffs.

Maybe he could have done better, but when I look at the defensive talent Denver had and I ask myself, "did the coaching staff get the most out of the talent they had?" I think it's pretty close to a yes. I don't think the Broncos were some crazy talented team on defense with all the injuries that underperformed. If anything, they overperformed. Keep JDR on, I say.
I personally thought our D vastly underrated the first couple months (even started a thread about it) but after half went down for good with injuries I was amazed the rest even hung in there. I called NE "half a D" when we played there; they were, and fell apart so badly they didn't even recover when their secondary did, but OUR half a D just hung in there and kept the score down all the way to the Super Bowl. After the Week 7 Colts game, the only time we gave up >30 pts was the NE game (when the injuries started.) Until the SB, of course, but, again, that's not on our D.

If everyone's healthy again, gimme a legit Mike and maybe some secondary depth, then we'll be set.

Buff
02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I personally thought our D vastly underrated the first couple months (even started a thread about it) but after half went down for good with injuries I was amazed the rest even hung in there. I called NE "half a D" when we played there; they were, and fell apart so badly they didn't even recover when their secondary did, but OUR half a D just hung in there and kept the score down all the way to the Super Bowl. After the Week 7 Colts game, the only time we gave up >30 pts was the NE game (when the injuries started.) Until the SB, of course, but, again, that's not on our D.

If everyone's healthy again, gimme a legit Mike and maybe some secondary depth, then we'll be set.

Von and Chris Harris won't be full speed until midseason at the earliest. We need to overhaul our LB corps. We have lots of questions in the secondary with DRC hitting free agency and Champ's status in question.

I think our defense will once again be our Achilles heel - not a sleeping giant.

BroncoNut
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
all good points. yeah, I like JDR for some reason. his intense look maybe? I would play for him, glad he's staying

weazel
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
They also announced they're changing their nickname to the Soft Zones

TXBRONC
02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Von and Chris Harris won't be full speed until midseason at the earliest. We need to overhaul our LB corps. We have lots of questions in the secondary with DRC hitting free agency and Champ's status in question.

I think our defense will once again be our Achilles heel - not a sleeping giant.

I agree chances are Miller and Harris will not be full speed until midseason. I disagree Denver needs to overhaul it's linebacking corp. What do you base that on? Also are you aware that the defense was a top ten rush defense for entire season?

Ravage!!!
02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
I think its a good move to keep him. Our defense needs personnel, and that's what we were saying going INTo the season. Then injuries just kept plaguing that side of the ball. Add a lot of them coming back, and some additional talent, and I truly beleive MJD is a good DC.

TXBRONC
02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I think its a good move to keep him. Our defense needs personnel, and that's what we were saying going INTo the season. Then injuries just kept plaguing that side of the ball. Add a lot of them coming back, and some additional talent, and I truly beleive MJD is a good DC.

I thought MJD was free agent running back I didn't he think he was defensive coordinator. :confused: :D

Ravage!!!
02-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I thought MJD was free agent running back I didn't he was defensive coordinator. :confused: :D

Hah... well.... MJD is expanding his expertise to the defensive side of coaching since his RB skills have diminished.

tripp
02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
The coin toss?

NFC were 17-3 going into the Superbowl on coin tosses :shocked:

Lancane
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Simple truth is that neither unit, offense or defense, even special teams are as great or as bad as they seemed at various times throughout the season. And all three units need to be improved in order for Denver to have a legit shot with Manning at the helm. The lines need tweaked not overhauled, they need a middle linebacker to quarterback the defense and to be that leader they seem to be missing, they likewise need to solidify the defensive backfield. It would help if the DB's played the ball not the receivers in order to stop the big play and tried to force turnovers, that is my one knock on Del Rio at this time.

Buff
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
I agree chances are Miller and Harris will not be full speed until midseason. I disagree Denver needs to overhaul it's linebacking corp. What do you base that on? Also are you aware that the defense was a top ten rush defense for entire season?

We don't have a reliable MLB or a viable replacement for Von. Paris Lenon was starting games for us down the stretch and the year before we had Keith Brooking starting games - that should be our first indicator that it's an area of need.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
We don't have a reliable MLB or a viable replacement for Von. Paris Lenon was starting games for us down the stretch and the year before we had Keith Brooking starting games - that should be our first indicator that it's an area of need.

I still think Irving is in their plans. He was first on the depth chart at Mike until the team realized Miller would miss time and then they moved him to SAM. Irving has looked really good in the last quarter of the season or so. He's physical and athletic. If he can just get a good grasp on the defense he might be just as effective as anyone we could draft at the end of the first.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Teams that make the Super Bowl sit on an odd bridge between the present and the future.

Their coaches and players are concentrating on the moment, getting ready for the title game and all of the trappings that go with it. But the personnel departments are, by necessity of the compressed time frame playing into February creates, on to the draft and free agency.

The scouts make the rounds to the college all-star games -- Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway made an appearance at the Senior Bowl -- as things get pointed toward the draft. Elway usually refers to the change from the in-season business of trying to win games week to week to the offseason business of the draft and free agency as “shifting gears.’’ And the Broncos shifted their first significant gear this week.

They signed defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio to a new two-year deal and it was a good call on both sides. Del Rio is good for the Broncos' defense and the Broncos are good for Del Rio.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/4999/del-rios-new-deal-a-win-win-on-all-fronts

capt. Jack
02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
We will be better next year, reload on defense and see what happens. JDR is a real football guy, he is a well respected man in the NFL!

DenBronx
02-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I like Del Rio here.

Give him some healthy players and make a few roster adjustments on defense and I bet we will be a top 10 defense soon.

TXBRONC
02-08-2014, 09:57 AM

First of all, why does Von need to be replaced? If you think he's going to be converted to defensive end on permanent basis I don't see that happening. Secondly, Irving showed he could be a traditional Sam linebacker if need be. However, I can see Irving getting another shot at mike. At any rate I don't see an overhaul of the entire unit is needed.

vettesplus
02-08-2014, 10:53 AM
For all his faults - I'll take the continuity over bringing in some first time coordinator. We are a veteran squad - let's keep the wheels on the bus for next year.

I agree, lets keep the tires on the bus, but we just need to put a little more air in them!!!

nevcraw
02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
unequivocally we need a stud mean sob mlb leader of the defense. Irving is not the answer there. It's even ven worth trading up for the guy from Bama.
champ goes to safety, keep DRC and draft another cb or 2. del rio being back is a good thing.

EastCoastBronco
02-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Nothing wrong with the D.
Bag a couple of "Keith Traylor" types, like Pot Roast, for pocket collapsing purposes and we'll be fine.

TXBRONC
02-11-2014, 09:31 AM
unequivocally we need a stud mean sob mlb leader of the defense. Irving is not the answer there. It's even ven worth trading up for the guy from Bama.
champ goes to safety, keep DRC and draft another cb or 2. del rio being back is a good thing.

I could see Denver possibly drafting a mike line to compete with Irving but I don't see them giving up on him just yet. When he was asked to fill in for Miller he more than held his own.