PDA

View Full Version : What's Next for the Denver Broncos After Super Bowl Loss?

DenBronx
02-06-2014, 07:51 PM
After a great season, the Denver Broncos fell short of their goal. With just a couple weeks until the NFL Scouting Combine and just over a month until free agency, the Broncos must quickly transition to preparing to make another run next season.

Quarterback Peyton Manning is taking things year to year, and there was no way he was going to retire after such a poor performance in Super Bowl XLVIII. The Broncos' window to win a Super Bowl is shrinking, so it will be a very important offseason for executive vice president of football operations John Elway and the rest of his front office.

The Broncos now know they need to get better on defense and tougher on offense if they are going to compete with the best the NFC has to offer. They will improve on defense just by getting healthy, but there is real work to do to shore up an offense that could lose three starters in free agency.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947557-whats-next-for-the-denver-broncos-after-super-bowl-loss

Joel
02-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Lotta guys there, but a note on one: Koppen retired last season; we coaxed him back when Walton got hurt in preseason, and he almost immediately tore an ACL. I'll be shocked if we can coax him out of retirement again, if we even want to try.

tripp
02-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm ok with losing Decker, not OK with losing Moreno. Would love for Front office to look into getting some secondary help. I'd like to think our D-line is ok now? We only spent our last two high picks on DT's (Wolfe and Wiliiams). With a healthy Von, and pleasant surprise in Pot roast, we might just be ok on the D-line. I won't even be mad if Woodyard goes if Trevathan proves to be in a league of his own. Would love some young talent in the secondary, so we don't give up the big plays every game.

MOtorboat
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Offseason?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Lotta guys there, but a note on one: Koppen retired last season; we coaxed him back when Walton got hurt in preseason, and he almost immediately tore an ACL. I'll be shocked if we can coax him out of retirement again, if we even want to try.

Ramirez is better anyway.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
The writer's conjecture is at least well written. It somewhat persuades a person that he knows what he's talking about. :D

Early reports are that Phillips and the Broncos are already near a deal. I'd like to see him play along side Miller for a year.

Joel
02-06-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm ok with losing Decker, not OK with losing Moreno. Would love for Front office to look into getting some secondary help. I'd like to think our D-line is ok now? We only spent our last two high picks on DT's (Wolfe and Wiliiams). With a healthy Von, and pleasant surprise in Pot roast, we might just be ok on the D-line. I won't even be mad if Woodyard goes if Trevathan proves to be in a league of his own. Would love some young talent in the secondary, so we don't give up the big plays every game.
If everyone's back 100%, Big Vick and Potroast are both punishing dominant DTs, and Williams played quite well for a rookie when forced to start. Likewise, if Wolfe's can play again, he's a great DE vs. run and pass, big and good enough to move inside and play UT (as he regularly does in nickel) and Jackson's very similar. Phillips is also excellent vs. both run and pass, and led the team with double digit sacks, plus Quanterus Smith is a speed rusher who should be ready, and Lerentee McCray is another who impressed in camp till a bad ankle injury cost him the year.

Our DEFENSIVE line would be solid IF everyone's healthy, but "if" is a small word with a big meaning. I wouldn't blame the front office taking out some insurance, but would rather do it with FA contracts conditioned on making the roster than spend a draft pick that might leave us with a bust player we can't use anyway and wishing we'd spent on the offensive linemen we DESPERATELY need. People talk about Manning playing till he's 40; I doubt it, but we can forget it if he's being guarded by the likes of Beadles and Franklin.

That's where I'd focus, but with so many serious injuries, it's oddly and annoyingly hard to be sure of our best defenders. As others have noted, a dislocated hip is no small thing for anyone, let alone a guy pushing 350 like Vickerson. Both Miller and Harris tore ACLs at the end of the season; it'll probablly be midseason before they're on the field and we START seeing if they've still got it. Only God knows what's wrong with Wolfe. Compartment syndrome can do serious permanent damage if not promptly treated, and it sounds like Moores wasn't.

That's out best DT, best DE, best pass rusher, second best CB and best FS (or second best if Champ returns and transitions well.) Some insurance is reasonable and advisable, just, again, make it in a form we can easily divest ourselves of if camp proves it needless (though in Miller and Harris' case we probably won't know by Opening Day.)

Really, the only thing I want on D IF everyone's healthy is great MLB. I believe Carter's an RFA; though not starter quality, he's good enough for a dimebackup, so re-signing DRC, getting Harris healthy and Webster learning from his rookie baptism of fire should put us in good shape, especially if we have Champ on hand to play NB or FS as needed. Champs status should essentially be the difference between needing a backup safety or backup CB, but the key word here is "backup." Depth. Maybe not even that if Adams will play cheap.

I WISH it were that simple on offense, where we just got globally shamed in a SB largely because our offensive line got blown up in multiple places all game. We need AT LEAST two very strong good starting linemen, even if one believes in Ramirez or Franklin (at least one of them must be upgraded to win a SB, and we'd need the same at LG even if Beadles weren't a FA.) Decker's almost surely gone, and I fear Moreno will be, too; we drafted Ball after a playoff loss reminded us injury and fatigue won't let us be a one back team. Our two best all around TEs are FA, too.

Joel
02-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Ramirez is better anyway.
In his prime, no way, but Koppen's far past his prime, and has spent the last 7 months in an ongoing rehab to remind him why he should've stayed retired.

The writer's conjecture is at least well written. It somewhat persuades a person that he knows what he's talking about. :D

Early reports are that Phillips and the Broncos are already near a deal. I'd like to see him play along side Miller for a year.
Good; it seemed like a no-brainer to me, but many things do that aren't, and some that are still don't happen. Now lock up DRC, renegotiate with Champ, re-sign Woodyard and add a great Mike; then I'll feel great about next years D. Far better than I do about our offensive line now. Still, with the notable exceptions of that and Mike, we have far less holes than I thought a year ago. Elway really did a bang up job with last years free agency, which encourages me to believe he'll do as well this year. Hell, he got Phillips for $1 million and he's our sack leader; that was a steal.

tripp
02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
If everyone's back 100%, Big Vick and Potroast are both punishing dominant DTs, and Williams played quite well for a rookie when forced to start. Likewise, if Wolfe's can play again, he's a great DE vs. run and pass, big and good enough to move inside and play UT (as he regularly does in nickel) and Jackson's very similar. Phillips is also excellent vs. both run and pass, and led the team with double digit sacks, plus Quanterus Smith is a speed rusher who should be ready, and Lerentee McCray is another who impressed in camp till a bad ankle injury cost him the year.

Our DEFENSIVE line would be solid IF everyone's healthy, but "if" is a small word with a big meaning. I wouldn't blame the front office taking out some insurance, but would rather do it with FA contracts conditioned on making the roster than spend a draft pick that might leave us with a bust player we can't use anyway and wishing we'd spent on the offensive linemen we DESPERATELY need. People talk about Manning playing till he's 40; I doubt it, but we can forget it if he's being guarded by the likes of Beadles and Franklin.

That's where I'd focus, but with so many serious injuries, it's oddly and annoyingly hard to be sure of our best defenders. As others have noted, a dislocated hip is no small thing for anyone, let alone a guy pushing 350 like Vickerson. Both Miller and Harris tore ACLs at the end of the season; it'll probablly be midseason before they're on the field and we START seeing if they've still got it. Only God knows what's wrong with Wolfe. Compartment syndrome can do serious permanent damage if not promptly treated, and it sounds like Moores wasn't.

That's out best DT, best DE, best pass rusher, second best CB and best FS (or second best if Champ returns and transitions well.) Some insurance is reasonable and advisable, just, again, make it in a form we can easily divest ourselves of if camp proves it needless (though in Miller and Harris' case we probably won't know by Opening Day.)

Really, the only thing I want on D IF everyone's healthy is great MLB. I believe Carter's an RFA; though not starter quality, he's good enough for a dimebackup, so re-signing DRC, getting Harris healthy and Webster learning from his rookie baptism of fire should put us in good shape, especially if we have Champ on hand to play NB or FS as needed. Champs status should essentially be the difference between needing a backup safety or backup CB, but the key word here is "backup." Depth. Maybe not even that if Adams will play cheap.

I WISH it were that simple on offense, where we just got globally shamed in a SB largely because our offensive line got blown up in multiple places all game. We need AT LEAST two very strong good starting linemen, even if one believes in Ramirez or Franklin (at least one of them must be upgraded to win a SB, and we'd need the same at LG even if Beadles weren't a FA.) Decker's almost surely gone, and I fear Moreno will be, too; we drafted Ball after a playoff loss reminded us injury and fatigue won't let us be a one back team. Our two best all around TEs are FA, too.

I thought Franklin was a decent Lineman? Only reason why I say that is because 1, he was apart of a O-line that saw Manning become the least sacked QB in the NFL, and 2, everyone seemed to genuinely like Franklin as a player. Once Clady is back, couldn't Clark become a RT?

I would love to see one of the receiver's we just drafted to step up and take a big role, Robinson or King. I'm a huge fan of Gerell Robinson because he played well in his pre-season game with Osweiler, and the chemistry they have from playing together in ASU could go a long way. The only saving grace about Moreno is the fact that he had a good year in a contract year (which literally means nothing), and is injury prone, which could impede him from getting a big contract. Ball better learn to pick up blocks or it's going to be a long painful season for Manning if Moreno is gone.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I think consternation over the amount of unrestricted FA's Denver is quickly becoming a cliche at this point, and it's only been a week since their last game. Aside from DRC I think the FA's they really need to worry about will be in '15 and '16, and by that time who really knows.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 10:14 PM
By the way Tripp, Tavares King is now a Carolina Panther.

Also Franklin is a good lineman who simply doesn't need replacing.

Joel
02-06-2014, 10:44 PM
I thought Franklin was a decent Lineman? Only reason why I say that is because 1, he was apart of a O-line that saw Manning become the least sacked QB in the NFL, and 2, everyone seemed to genuinely like Franklin as a player. Once Clady is back, couldn't Clark become a RT?
Until this year I didn't Franklin would EVER get it, but he convinced me over the course of the season—then erased all that slowly won confidence with a SB that looked like his rookie year. Maybe it was just a bad game against a great front four, but even if it weren't, Clady'll be 28 next year and is developing an injury history, so it's not a bad idea to find a good OT anyway.

Clark's not that; he's a good backup who can handle a bullrush, but nothing more, and I don't believe a bad LT an upgrade from a bad RT. I'd rather make either a G (but then we DEFINITELY need an OT) but I also don't believe you get an All Pro G by converting a bad OT and hoping he transitions well: You get an All Pro G by drafting/signing an All Pro G.

I would love to see one of the receiver's we just drafted to step up and take a big role, Robinson or King. I'm a huge fan of Gerell Robinson because he played well in his pre-season game with Osweiler, and the chemistry they have from playing together in ASU could go a long way. The only saving grace about Moreno is the fact that he had a good year in a contract year (which literally means nothing), and is injury prone, which could impede him from getting a big contract. Ball better learn to pick up blocks or it's going to be a long painful season for Manning if Moreno is gone.
I'm really just going on the SD loss and people raving about his camp showing the past couple years, but think Caldwell should get a shot at the #2 spot. As long as we have DT, JT and Welker to prevent DBs doubling the first, I'd be pretty comfortable with even an average WR Manning will make LOOK great.

Moreno has MANY saving graces, IMHO: He's great at nothing but good at everything, which makes him a legit everydown back. He's a hardnosed runner who fights for extra yards behind a line that forces him to do that just to avoid losses, plus he picks up blitzes well and is great receiving back. When he's on the field on 1st and 10 or 3rd and 3 the D has NO idea whether we'll pass or run, and that's how I like it. Anyone who needs to know what happens when a great D DOES know which we'll do should rewatch the SB. :mad:

I LOVE versatle RBs and TEs, because they not only preserve options but CONCEAL plays. When a speedy, shifty breakaway threat who can't block takes the field, it's like shouting, "RUUUUN!" at the D, and just the opposite when the great blocker and receiver who can't move piles replaces him. Same with a purely blocking or receiving TE. On top of that, we tried the playoffs with only oen reliable RB last year; it didn't end well, just abruptly.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Where are you reading this? Because I've seen nothing to substantiate the Broncos are in the works with anyone and per John Elway's own presser they are allowing all free agents to test the market to set their value. I'm not trying to question the validity of what you've heard but NFLN, PFT nor even Local Media are reporting that, do you have a link?

If Denver inked Phillips before even trying to re-sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie then I would have to start questioning the reasoning of the front office. DRC is far more detrimental to the success of this team compared to Shaun Phillips. And not that I don't want Phillips to re-sign with Denver, it's just that no one was a bigger contributor to the success of the Broncos' defense then DRC and it's gross mishandling IMHO.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Where are you reading this? Because I've seen nothing to substantiate the Broncos are in the works with anyone and per John Elway's own presser they are allowing all free agents to test the market to set their value. I'm not trying to question the validity of what you've heard but NFLN, PFT nor even Local Media are reporting that, do you have a link?

If Denver inked Phillips before even trying to re-sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie then I would have to start questioning the reasoning of the front office. DRC is far more detrimental to the success of this team compared to Shaun Phillips. And not that I don't want Phillips to re-sign with Denver, it's just that no one was a bigger contributor to the success of the Broncos' defense then DRC and it's gross mishandling IMHO.

I think he's thinking of the report that the Broncos fully expect to resign Phillips.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
I think he's thinking of the report that the Broncos fully expect to resign Phillips.

Well that would make sense, but the way he worded the statement made it sound like a matter-of-fact rather then stipulation.

Concerning defensive end, I am concerned at the lack of thereof on the board, I keep hearing that the Broncos are okay, but when you look on paper; Derek Wolfe is an unknown due to his health, Shaun Phillips and Robert Ayers are both unrestricted free agents and will be testing the market, Malik Jackson is the healthiest of all defensive ends under contract and Quanteres Smith is an unknown due to his health atop that. How the hell anyone figures that Denver's defensive end group is fine and dandy is beyond me. Ayers enjoyed his best season as a pro and that is even after he lost the starting job, but his play rapidly declined as the season wore on. Having 5.5 sacks as a rotational player and backup will probably get someone to ink him to a better deal then Denver is willing to offer. We probably will not know about Wolfe for a few weeks, hopefully he overcomes what ails him and returns to the team. Malik showed flashes of capability, but I don't believe he is exactly elite material though. As for Smith, he has the most upside next to Wolfe but again can he return from the injury and will he be 100%? Good questions that need to be answered, and if Denver does re-sign Shaun Phillips, I believe the ends will be comparable to what we had this past season give health concerns, but not exactly improved unless Smith shows that he can separate himself from the group and be more then another body in rotation. I don't see Fox or Del Rio allowing the position to just be, they'll be looking to improve in my opinion whether through free agency or the draft.

Buff
02-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Hit up the Seahawks victory party!

Simple Jaded
02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Well that would make sense, but the way he worded the statement made it sound like a matter-of-fact rather then stipulation.

Concerning defensive end, I am concerned at the lack of thereof on the board, I keep hearing that the Broncos are okay, but when you look on paper; Derek Wolfe is an unknown due to his health, Shaun Phillips and Robert Ayers are both unrestricted free agents and will be testing the market, Malik Jackson is the healthiest of all defensive ends under contract and Quanteres Smith is an unknown due to his health atop that. How the hell anyone figures that Denver's defensive end group is fine and dandy is beyond me. Ayers enjoyed his best season as a pro and that is even after he lost the starting job, but his play rapidly declined as the season wore on. Having 5.5 sacks as a rotational player and backup will probably get someone to ink him to a better deal then Denver is willing to offer. We probably will not know about Wolfe for a few weeks, hopefully he overcomes what ails him and returns to the team. Malik showed flashes of capability, but I don't believe he is exactly elite material though. As for Smith, he has the most upside next to Wolfe but again can he return from the injury and will he be 100%? Good questions that need to be answered, and if Denver does re-sign Shaun Phillips, I believe the ends will be comparable to what we had this past season give health concerns, but not exactly improved unless Smith shows that he can separate himself from the group and be more then another body in rotation. I don't see Fox or Del Rio allowing the position to just be, they'll be looking to improve in my opinion whether through free agency or the draft.

I don't expect much from LDE, and what they're getting could probably be found in FA if Wolfe can't play. RDE, however, is an entirely different story, I like Ayers back only if he's cheap cause he's simply a rotation/contain rush guy, which is nice but not what will make or break next years defense.

Hardy never gets outta Carolina and Clowney/Ealy will be looooooong gone, realistically I think best case scenario is a combination of Phillips, Ayers or Mincey, Quanteris Smith and a FA like Allen, Johnson or Griffen (if the Broncos can afford it) at RDE.

Joel
02-07-2014, 12:55 AM

A lot does depend on whether Wolfe and Smith are healthy (and how good the latter actually is) and whether we re-sign Phillips and/or Ayers. Yet it's REALLY hard to believe we won't get at least half of them back (my bet, and certainly my hope, is that includes Phillips) and we know all but Smith play the run AND pass well, as does Jackson. Smith might be good vs. both run and pass, too; hard to know at this point, but he's the only one of the lot we don't already know to be solid, so we ought to have at least 3 solid ends returning.

I'm not accusing you, but one reason I'm glad the FO DOESN'T ask the fans how to build a team is because if it did we'd have 4 Robert Mathises or Dooms for a line with 3 Von Millers behind them. If we'd brought THAT to the SB Beast Mode would still be scoring TDs now. We'll never have as many pass rushers as the fans want, because there's no such thing.

silkamilkamonico
02-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Most every show on the fan since monday has been talking about how denver needs to move on from miller. I dont know if i really understand the thought process with that.

Lancane
02-07-2014, 01:59 AM
A lot does depend on whether Wolfe and Smith are healthy (and how good the latter actually is) and whether we re-sign Phillips and/or Ayers. Yet it's REALLY hard to believe we won't get at least half of them back (my bet, and certainly my hope, is that includes Phillips) and we know all but Smith play the run AND pass well, as does Jackson. Smith might be good vs. both run and pass, too; hard to know at this point, but he's the only one of the lot we don't already know to be solid, so we ought to have at least 3 solid ends returning.

I'm not accusing you, but one reason I'm glad the FO DOESN'T ask the fans how to build a team is because if it did we'd have 4 Robert Mathises or Dooms for a line with 3 Von Millers behind them. If we'd brought THAT to the SB Beast Mode would still be scoring TDs now. We'll never have as many pass rushers as the fans want, because there's no such thing.

I'm not advocating overspending to solidify the defensive end position Joel, but despite the improvement during the playoff run the defense had a knack for letting teams back into games, if we go into the schedule we have next year with a comparable group or worse, one plagued by injury concerns then it could be a long damn year, no matter how good the offense is. It seems certain fans are content to have near the same exact team again next year with few or little improvements when there is room enough for such. Do we really want to see this team face continual *** stomping like what we suffered in the Super Bowl? We have to improve and offense is not the only side that has weak links despite what some have led themselves come to believe - it's beyond asinine.

I would be far less concerned in all honesty if Denver was switching to a 3-4 base, our personnel is a better fit for that front, but that is not to be with Fox and Del Rio back in the saddle, which means the edge is of even more importance. I hope we re-sign Phillips, but we need someone who is younger and a more well rounded end, then Phillips along with Miller can be moved around much easier in blitz packages. Wolfe and Jackson can rotate and handle the left side, as long as Wolfe is healthy enough, but drafting or signing someone better then Ayers to help man the right side could do wonders for the front seven, even if Smith is healthy and ready to go. It's similar to the drafting philosophy of taking the best player available, it might not be an immediate need but your always looking to improve your team no matter the position.

Joel
02-07-2014, 02:11 AM
Most every show on the fan since monday has been talking about how denver needs to move on from miller. I dont know if i really understand the thought process with that.
Well, he "started" the season on a 4 game pot suspension, upped it to 6 when he tried to cheat the test and got caught, was fairly average when he finally DID return, then prematurely ended his season with an injury that'll cost him a good chunk of NEXT season, and topped it off with trying to crash the SB victory party for the team that just humiliated us before the world.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but definitely see their point.

Joel
02-07-2014, 02:33 AM
I'm not advocating overspending to solidify the defensive end position Joel, but despite the improvement during the playoff run the defense had a knack for letting teams back into games, if we go into the schedule we have next year with a comparable group or worse, one plagued by injury concerns then it could be a long damn year, no matter how good the offense is. It seems certain fans are content to have near the same exact team again next year with few or little improvements when there is room enough for such. Do we really want to see this team face continual *** stomping like what we suffered in the Super Bowl? We have to improve and offense is not the only side that has weak links despite what some have led themselves come to believe - it's beyond asinine.
Not wanting more stomping like the SB is precisely my motive, because our DEFENSE didn't get stomped, our OFFENSE did. So that's what I want to fix, records or no records.

If we'd had an offensive line worthy of the name if the SB there's no way Seattle beats us with 20 pts, and—even at half strength—that's all our D allowed; the rest were turnovers and making them play the whole first half. We scored >20 pts in every game this year—until the SB. To win the next one we must fix what went wrong in the last one, and that wasn't our D.

I would be far less concerned in all honesty if Denver was switching to a 3-4 base, our personnel is a better fit for that front, but that is not to be with Fox and Del Rio back in the saddle, which means the edge is of even more importance. I hope we re-sign Phillips, but we need someone who is younger and a more well rounded end, then Phillips along with Miller can be moved around much easier in blitz packages. Wolfe and Jackson can rotate and handle the left side, as long as Wolfe is healthy enough, but drafting or signing someone better then Ayers to help man the right side could do wonders for the front seven, even if Smith is healthy and ready to go. It's similar to the drafting philosophy of taking the best player available, it might not be an immediate need but your always looking to improve your team no matter the position.
Your 3-4 rationale is strong, especially since we FINALLY have two guys who'd be a solid NT rotation, and Jackson and Wolfe would be fine DEs, and Williams would be (at least) a good backup for them. Woodyard and Trevathan would be great ILBs. The real problem is that Miller and (for now...) Phillips are the only standout 3-4 OLBs we'd have, and a 3-4 without lots of good OLBs isn't much of a 3-4. We could get them, but no easier than elite 4-3 DEs, for the same reason, and, as you say, Del Rio and Fox are 4-3 guys who probably won't switch.

It would really only work if we re-sign Phillips and get Wolfe and Miller back healthy, but if we do that we're only a great MLB from a great 4-3; it'll probably be easier to add one elite 4-3 MLB than a couple elite 3-4 OLBs (and just having Miller and Phillips wouldn't be enough; we need a rotation so we weren't screwed if one got hurt.) Phillips should have another quality year or two left before we MUST find a replacement, and Quanterus Smith and/or Lerentee McCray might BE that replacement.

A lot depends on the immediate futures of Phillips, Wolfe and Miller, but if they MAY not be playing at high level or us next year, Beadles and Franklin DEFINITELY won't. Since that what cost us a Super Bowl and the D played a fine Super Bowl despite hordes of injuries, I'm more concerned with fixing our DEFINITE problems than our POTENTIAL ones.

Dzone
02-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Everybody is still mum on Derek Wolfe's injury. We may not ever know. Maybe he has a career ending condition. Maybe his spine has something genetically wrong that is aggravated by football. Maybe they just want to wait until spring to announce if Wolfe is finished or not. Kind of strange that not much has leaked out about Wolfes seizures. If someone has seizures, the last thing they should probably be doing is smashing skulls with someone. Hope he comes back 100%

CrazyHorse
02-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Get some big uglies on the offensive line.

Lancane
02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Not wanting more stomping like the SB is precisely my motive, because our DEFENSE didn't get stomped, our OFFENSE did. So that's what I want to fix, records or no records.

If we'd had an offensive line worthy of the name if the SB there's no way Seattle beats us with 20 pts, and—even at half strength—that's all our D allowed; the rest were turnovers and making them play the whole first half. We scored >20 pts in every game this year—until the SB. To win the next one we must fix what went wrong in the last one, and that wasn't our D.

I disagree, while during the first half the defense played exceptionally well, they still folded in the second half. Not that I blame them for being disheartened at that point. Problem is that all you are seeing as well as others Joel, is that the Broncos defense played well during the first half of the Super Bowl. Denver had the 24th overall defense despite the improvement during the playoffs. You're simply discounting the issues before that specific point and as I've said, it can not all be blamed on injuries alone. What is the excuse for almost letting both San Diego and New England back into those previous two playoff games at the tail end of the game? What is the excuse for blowing a three score lead in New England weeks before? Denver's defense only held four opponents to less then 20 points, eleven teams were allowed to score 20 or more points, six of which were for 27 points or more. Denver's defense struggled in terms of points allowed per game, passing yards per game, turnovers per game. This defense is not as bad as it seems but not as good as people want to make them out to be.

A lot depends on the immediate futures of Phillips, Wolfe and Miller, but if they MAY not be playing at high level or us next year, Beadles and Franklin DEFINITELY won't. Since that what cost us a Super Bowl and the D played a fine Super Bowl despite hordes of injuries, I'm more concerned with fixing our DEFINITE problems than our POTENTIAL ones.

You can make no guarantees as to what will transpire in the future, but it's better to be safe then sorry. As you said, a lot depends on certain individuals, that's one too many 'what if's' for the Broncos as an organization to rely on at this point IMHO.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Phillips has already had his big money contracts. He only played for $2 million last year. DRC and the rest of those guys will test the market. I don't see anything surprising about Phillips staying here on a team friendly deal. Phillips could have taken more money to go elsewhere last year. It doesn't mean the FO is screwed up with their priorities.

Here's where I read it:

» DE Shaun Phillips: The Broncos fully expect to re-sign the ageless pass rusher, per Rapoport. The implication is the two sides already are nearing common ground after Phillips led the defense with 10 sacks in 2013.

from this link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323726/article/offseason-forecast-denver-broncos

Lancane
02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Phillips has already had his big money contracts. He only played for $2 million last year. DRC and the rest of those guys will test the market. I don't see anything surprising about Phillips staying here on a team friendly deal. Phillips could have taken more money to go elsewhere last year. It doesn't mean the FO is screwed up with their priorities.

Here's where I read it:

from this link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323726/article/offseason-forecast-denver-broncos

Thanks for sharing the link Al, I could not find a damn thing on it...even local media had not reported it.

I'm not worried about Phillips wanting a lucrative deal, I just don't see him as being a priority in comparison to DRC. If Harris stays, I don't see Harris and Bailey, Harris and Jammer, Harris and Webster or Harris and Rookie being good or competent enough to man the corner position. It's a fair argument to say that Rodgers-Cromartie is better then our entire corner corps., hell he is arguably our best defensive player at this point. To let him walk will be a gross miscalculation IMHO.

Northman
02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
We should trade for Incognito and go and find Martin for the Oline.

GEM
02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
It's just too early for me to care. I'm still on Broncos watch. Meaning my family checks on me daily to be sure I haven't hung myself with my Decker jersey.

Northman
02-07-2014, 04:54 PM
It's just too early for me to care. I'm still on Broncos watch. Meaning my family checks on me daily to be sure I haven't hung myself with my Decker jersey.

You know if you tried to hang yourself with Decker's jersey it wouldnt work because it just cant seem to stay upright.

Oh noes!!! i made a Decker joke.... lol

Lancane
02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
We should trade for Incognito and go and find Martin for the Oline.

Incognito I could deal with, I don't want Martin anywhere near the Broncos. If people thought the line was soft this year, Martin would make it absolutely limp!

Shazam!
02-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I've thought of Incognito myself numerous times and I want him. He will come cheap and a great addition for depth, a guy out to prove himself.

7DnBrnc53
02-08-2014, 02:44 AM
I've thought of Incognito myself numerous times and I want him. He will come cheap and a great addition for depth, a guy out to prove himself.

I don't think I want Incognito anywhere near this team. They need some more tough guys, but also character guys. Richie has poor character.

Lancane
02-08-2014, 03:25 AM
I don't think I want Incognito anywhere near this team. They need some more tough guys, but also character guys. Richie has poor character.

We have character guys, that was McDaniels' thing and Elway has followed suit...well character guys just got their butts kicked in the worst beat-down of the modern era in a Super Bowl. So, I'll take nasty with an attitude and has something to prove over character.

7DnBrnc53
02-08-2014, 03:51 AM
We have character guys, that was McDaniels' thing and Elway has followed suit...well character guys just got their butts kicked in the worst beat-down of the modern era in a Super Bowl. So, I'll take nasty with an attitude and has something to prove over character.

Yeah, and Shanny used to bring in guys with poor character in the mid-00's, and look what happened. Denver didn't go anywhere.

Dzone
02-08-2014, 04:08 AM
His teammates loved him. Teasing a homo doesnt make him bad

7DnBrnc53
02-08-2014, 05:28 AM
His teammates loved him. Teasing a homo doesnt make him bad

What about stealing Ryan Tannehill's credit card and buying a jetski with it because he felt he deserved it?

silkamilkamonico
02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Incongnito is just not a very good player.

Let's get a player with a nasty streak like him, but who's actually good.

Lancane
02-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Like Jon Asamoah?

Ravage!!!
02-08-2014, 01:32 PM

I agree.... a guy can have both, but I would choose the mean guy over the nice guy for my football team. But ingognito isn't the kind I want.

Joel
02-08-2014, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I don't want the ironically named Incognito NOR Martin anywhere near Denver; I want guys who fight the OTHER team, not each other. And, as you say, he's not that good in the first place.

Like Jon Asamoah?
Looking at KCs FA offensive linemen makes me drool: Asamoah and Schwartz play the same position, and well, and both are FAs, as is Brandon Albert: No way they can afford all three without big losses elsewhere, so we ought to be able to get AT LEAST one of them. Strengthen the very unit that lost the SB and weaken the leading division rival all at once? Worked with Neil Smith. :)

Simple Jaded
02-08-2014, 04:03 PM

The Broncos need attitude but more importantly they have to stop overlooking players with baggage. That is to say, they don't need to go fill the roster with douchebags because Seattle just won the SB, that's like saying they have to build around a cheap 3rd QB because it worked for the Seahawks, what they need to do is take calculated risks with otherwise talented players.

I absolutely despise the "Character guy" cliche, you can't build a SB team with 53 Russell Wilson's, you can't overlook the Tony McDaniel's in the process.

Conversely, obviously, you can't build a team with 53 DB's either. It's not rocket surgery when you don't make it a black and white issue.

TXBRONC
02-08-2014, 04:52 PM

The Rams team president that Incognito is very good player you just never know when he's going to blow up. That's not an exact quote but I think have the gist of what he said.