PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Might Go Back to WLB Next Season

TXBRONC
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I just read this on Pro Football Weekly website and thought I should share it with all of you.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2007/wwhi112807.htm

Bates' job appears safe, but other changes coming defensively

Nov. 28, 2007

Sources suggest it would take the doors caving in the rest of the way for highly regarded defensive coordinator Jim Bates to lose his job after just one year in Denver, disastrous as it has been with the Broncos ranking 25th in yards allowed and 30th in points. Head coach Mike Shanahan is expected to show patience with the hand-picked Bates, who received acclaim for his previous work in Miami and Green Bay. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be some personnel turnover on the defensive side of the ball, perhaps plenty of it, especially in the front seven. Although money figures to be short in the offseason, the Broncos will be in the market for a space-eating defensive tackle who isn’t as limited as and plays harder than Sam Adams, as well as a middle linebacker who can hold up better vs. the run and allow D.J. Williams to move to the weak side, where scouts say his athleticism and speed would be put to better use. WLB Ian Gold’s play has dropped off significantly this season in Bates’ new scheme, and his days in Denver would appear to be up.

underrated29
11-28-2007, 11:54 PM
wow. id say our top 3 picks are dt and 2 lb.

good for bates, glad to see him stick it out and build up our d. and good for dj, now he can play where he loves to and has instinct.

TXBRONC
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM

good for bates, glad to see him stick it out and build up our d. and good for dj, now he can play where he loves to and has instinct.

Even though the defense has not been great for most of the season, I have never thought for a minute that Bates would get the ax. For that matter I don't see our Special Teams coach getting axed either.

WAB
11-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Well it makes a little sense if they can get a good MLB. Let him run and chase like Ian's doing now but hopefully he's a little more physical and consistent.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Jonathan Goff Anyoneeeeeeeeeee

NameUsedBefore
11-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Ah, breaking away from Kierkegaard to talk football (keeps me sane) :laugh:

Anyway:

I think D.J. has done a fantastic job at MLB this season. At the start I was skeptical but he has really grown into the role. Maybe I'm just missing his mistakes, but as far as I can tell he's played very solid football and I really can't think of anyone I'd want to replace him (that we can afford through free agency or the draft).

LoyalSoldier
11-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Ah, breaking away from Kierkegaard to talk football (keeps me sane) :laugh:

Anyway:

I think D.J. has done a fantastic job at MLB this season. At the start I was skeptical but he has really grown into the role. Maybe I'm just missing his mistakes, but as far as I can tell he's played very solid football and I really can't think of anyone I'd want to replace him (that we can afford through free agency or the draft).

From the sound of things it isn't that he is horrible at MLB, but that he could be better suited for WLB. Right now he is leading the team in tackles.

omac
11-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Nice find, TXBRONC! :salute:

Maybe we can lure away some linebackers or tackles from disgruntled teams like Chicago and Baltimore. Imagine if Urlacher was our MLB; too bad Ray Lewis is getting up there in age ... I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out.

Now, how do we get Haynesworth? Maybe we can give Vince a receiver who can actually catch the ball. :D

TXBRONC
11-29-2007, 08:11 AM
From the sound of things it isn't that he is horrible at MLB, but that he could be better suited for WLB. Right now he is leading the team in tackles.

That was my understanding as well.

Lonestar
11-29-2007, 12:06 PM
From what I have seen MLB seems to be the least of our problem, he seems to be doing a great job there NOW after being thrown to teh wolve early in the year...

I think gold should go and if they can come up witha real soild MLB DJ could fill his spot or if a WLB comes cheaper then he could.

Our real problem is indeed at DT, one for sure, two would be real nice then Sam can go to fat city..

TXBRONC
11-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Nice find, TXBRONC! :salute:

Maybe we can lure away some linebackers or tackles from disgruntled teams like Chicago and Baltimore. Imagine if Urlacher was our MLB; too bad Ray Lewis is getting up there in age ... I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out.

Now, how do we get Haynesworth? Maybe we can give Vince a receiver who can actually catch the ball. :D

Haynesworth could be nice addition if he's motivated to play, but from what I have read recently Denver probably isn't going to be a major player in free agency this year.

BaiLeY324
11-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Oh man I can't wait for the draft

omac
11-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Haynesworth could be nice addition if he's motivated to play, but from what I have read recently Denver probably isn't going to be a major player in free agency this year.

I guess that leaves the draft. Hopefully we can get a sleeper pick.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-30-2007, 03:26 AM
With players off the books next year, I've read and it's been estimated by the capologists on the Mane (who have been damn close every year) that we'll have 20 million or so to spend next off-season. Fans are always under the impression we can't get players, but we always do.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2007, 03:34 AM
With players off the books next year, I've read and it's been estimated by the capologists on the Mane (who have been damn close every year) that we'll have 20 million or so to spend next off-season. Fans are always under the impression we can't get players, but we always do.

That would be nice for once, especially if they can trim a little more dead weight too.

Like about 6-0/223lb's worth of dead weight......

Retired_Member_001
11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
I would actually prefer to keep D.J. at MLB and surround him with better linebackers and a proper run defense. Anyone, I mean ANYONE wouldn't look all that great behind our defensive line and our other linebackers, I think D.J. would look better if he was on a better defense.

Fix the Defensive line and sign Karlos Dansby. It's not D.J. we should be worrying about, it's Sam Adams, Nate Webster and Ian Gold we should be worrying about.

Lonestar
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I would actually prefer to keep D.J. at MLB and surround him with better linebackers and a proper run defense. Anyone, I mean ANYONE wouldn't look all that great behind our defensive line and our other linebackers, I think D.J. would look better if he was on a better defense.

Fix the Defensive line and sign Karlos Dansby. It's not D.J. we should be worrying about, it's Sam Adams, Nate Webster and Ian Gold we should be worrying about.

I think if Sam had some help beside him and he were a tad younger it would be different.

I transfered most of this years games from TIVO to VHS tapes this past week. I noticed Sam in the back field alot in most of those games.. When he was in the game he seemed to be doing his job taking up two blockers and in alot of cases pushing them into the QB's space.

I'd love to have another younger SAM next to Thomas for the next few years. With them eating blockers and forcing QB's outside the DE's can clean up.. Gold is IMO a lost cause, yes he gets alot of tackle but it is almost always after positive yards, it just takes him to long to shed blocks..IMO

Webster I have not noticed one way or the other.

Get a hanesworth type in FA and draft a DT big body for the future and this DL is set for a decade.. That will fix alot of other problems right there..

dogfish
11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
i'd love to see us sign a mid-level DT like randy starks in free agency (haynseworth is a lazy headcase who WILL pull a gerard warren once he gets paid, and remember that he's a worthless sack who only makes plays when he feels like it-- he's also one violent incident, on or off the field, away from a major suspension), and go after michael turner. . . then draft james lauranaitis, and spend our 2nd on either a DT or an OT. . . .

TXBRONC
11-30-2007, 06:02 PM
i'd love to see us sign a mid-level DT like randy starks in free agency (haynseworth is a lazy headcase who WILL pull a gerard warren once he gets paid, and remember that he's a worthless sack who only makes plays when he feels like it-- he's also one violent incident, on or off the field, away from a major suspension), and go after michael turner. . . then draft james lauranaitis, and spend our 2nd on either a DT or an OT. . . .

I know he has history of under preforming, however Bates might be the kind of coach that could keep him motivated. That being said, at this time I don't see Shanahan going after this guy in free agency.

DF I don't know about going after Micheal Turner, he would be expensive just like Haynseworth. Personally I would rather Shanahan draft a running back.

Lonestar
11-30-2007, 11:14 PM
I know he has history of under preforming, however Bates might be the kind of coach that could keep him motivated. That being said, at this time I don't see Shanahan going after this guy in free agency.

DF I don't know about going after Micheal Turner, he would be expensive just like Haynseworth. Personally I would rather Shanahan draft a running back.

I just do not see the need for another RB, at least a top 3 pick on one. We have more than we can shake a stick at if they all come back next year and are healthy..

The real need on this team is DT and a replacement to play behind John Lynch for a year or so.. LB are a dime a dozen and if they are playing behind a great DL which we are one maybe two players away from. everyone looks great when they are not having to cover all day long..

If we would have had consistent heat on Farve the other night do you think he could have launched those two bombs on us?

Better yet do you think he would have?

Simple Jaded
11-30-2007, 11:45 PM
As far as Haynesworth is concerned, I am really hoping he's in a position where the Broncos can take a run at him....But I also hope it'd be a contract that protects them somewhat from him being the typical DT that only plays in a contract year.

This is the kind of guy the Broncos need two of......

Lonestar
11-30-2007, 11:51 PM
As far as Hanesworth is concerned, I am really hoping he's in a position where the Broncos can take a run at him....But I also hope it'd be a contract that protects them somewhat from him being the typical DT that only plays in a contract year.

This is the kind of guy the Broncos need two of......

I agree they blew it on price giving him a really fat contract with almost no incentives.. If they can bring him over.. and incentify him for sacks tackles clogs etc then he will be the one I want..He has been a force in TEN for several years..

I suspect that Thenry would give mikey a great recommendation to an old teammate. Making the sell easier..

Simple Jaded
12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I agree they blew it on price giving him a really fat contract with almost no incentives.. If they can bring him over.. and incentify him for sacks tackles clogs etc then he will be the one I want..He has been a force in TEN for several years..

I suspect that Thenry would give mikey a great recommendation to an old teammate. Making the sell easier..

You've talked me into it, Jr....Besides, Haynesworth giving 100%/Part Time is better than McKinley, Thomas and the two stiffs they cut at doing what Bates is/was/will be asking, imo.

That's not to say I don't have hopes for Thomas, I'm just not sure he's big enough to be more than a rotation/wave player for Bates.

The Broncos need two DT's, imo......

LoyalSoldier
12-01-2007, 12:27 AM
I think the greatest problem at DL this year is all of the young DL are inexperienced while all the experienced ones are old. There is none in the middle really. The young DL-men have shown that they will be at least solid down the road from what we have seen so far, but that is at least another year.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 01:42 PM
You've talked me into it, Jr....Besides, Haynesworth giving 100%/Part Time is better than McKinley, Thomas and the two stiffs they cut at doing what Bates is/was/will be asking, imo.

That's not to say I don't have hopes for Thomas, I'm just not sure he's big enough to be more than a rotation/wave player for Bates.

The Broncos need two DT's, imo......

Oh I think Thomas is gonna be a monster when he has a full year or so under his belt..

Remember he did not play most if any of his senior season.

Even if he had it is a 11-12 game season not 20 game season counting preseason games not counting post season.

There is a huge adjustment that needs to be made.. Most rookies hit the wall right about now..

With a hanesworth type next to him and another rotational guy (draftee) to spell these to. What a combo with the DE guys we now have on the roster.. this DL could be set for as long as a decade or more. With some prudent drafting every other year after should keep them great, barring major injury...

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I think the greatest problem at DL this year is all of the young DL are inexperienced while all the experienced ones are old. There is none in the middle really. The young DL-men have shown that they will be at least solid down the road from what we have seen so far, but that is at least another year.

great that is what we need. young and great players to do something more than fill space like we have for almost a decade. When was the last time we could get excited about quality DL play?
It has always been about the LB's being fast the we finally got a decent CB in Champ.

It has not been about defense since the orange crush.. Time to get back there IMO..

Look how good JAX is with a mediocre offense. Can you imagine Jay and company on that team. That is scary..

That is almost where we are, two massive DT's away from dominance.

I can wait till next year.

dogfish
12-01-2007, 02:34 PM

turner will be expensive, but i can't see him bringing near the money haynseworth will, as he isn't nearly as proven. . .

another potential FA i'd love to see us make a run at is cardinals LB karlos dansby (who could be plugged in at WILL or SAM), but i've heardd that they're already discussing an extension with him. . . .

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
turner will be expensive, but i can't see him bringing near the money haynseworth will, as he isn't nearly as proven. . .

another potential FA i'd love to see us make a run at is cardinals LB karlos dansby (who could be plugged in at WILL or SAM), but i've heardd that they're already discussing an extension with him. . . .

I'll take it that you are assuming that Henry is gone, which in that case would open the door to the possibility of signing him.

I'm with you about Haynseworth he will be expensive and given his previous history.

I also agree with you about Dansby. Getting him would give the Broncos the option of either moving Williams back to Will or leaving him at the Mike position.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Denver's #1 priority should be Corey Williams from GB, who is having a monster year in the same system we run here. He'd be great.

gobroncsnv
12-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Pretty much EXACTLY what I'm hoping for... With Bates' success elsewhere, he just needs some time and the right players. Lack of patience is seldom the correct answer.

dogfish
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll take it that you are assuming that Henry is gone, which in that case would open the door to the possibility of signing him.

yea, until i hear otherwise i am assuming that. . . obviously it would be great if we could get a year or two out of him (one less hole to fill), but i won't keep my fingers crossed given goodell's history. . . we should know shortly either way. . .

Denver's #1 priority should be Corey Williams from GB, who is having a monster year in the same system we run here. He'd be great.

huh, i didn't see him listed as an upcoming free agent. . . that would be a great pickup-- he's really come on this year, and he has some ability to collapse the pocket as well as playing stout against the run. . .