PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback Rodgers-Cromartie among Broncos going into free agency

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
from article:

"That's something I can't help, but I'd love for there to be a chair for me," Rodgers-Cromartie said Tuesday. "I like what we have here. Definitely, we can come back, work together and do it again."

"I'm not worried about money," he said, noting that playing for a team that can win is a higher priority. "The money will be worked out in negotiations."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25063796/cornerback-rodgers-cromartie-among-broncos-going-into-free

Lancane
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM
He wants to return, it's not about money and we're letting him test free agency to set his market value? Um, there comes a time when being thrifty is insulting, when you take a woman on a date, when you go on vacation with your family and oh, when the best defensive back you have is a free agent!!! (((Breath, and think happy, happy thoughts!)))

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Obviously the Broncos can match any offer any of their free agents get. With the Broncos having so many free agents, some of which I would imagine they will not want back, I see nothing wrong with seeing what their market value is. And if DRC is totally sincere about not being worried about money, then, as he said - money will be worked out in negotiations. That has to mean negotiating with the Broncos.

Lancane
02-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Obviously the Broncos can match any offer any of their free agents get. With the Broncos having so many free agents, some of which I would imagine they will not want back, I see nothing wrong with seeing what their market value is. And if DRC is totally sincere about not being worried about money, then, as he said - money will be worked out in negotiations. That has to mean negotiating with the Broncos.

I can only hope that you're right Carol, because the thought of having Champ Bailey back at starting corner other then at the nickel position makes me want to cringe and cry out!

;)

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
IMO, it will come down to two factors - getting the most money you can, not caring which team gives you that, versus wanting to stay with the Broncos and negotiating.

Joel
02-05-2014, 04:30 PM
We can match any offer for any ONE guy, but we need more than one even if we didn't have half a dozen we need hitting the market. He vindicated his former first round draft status this year, and CBs are one of the high profile critical positions where desperate teams routinely overpay. When he's basically saying outright he'll take a reasonable offer from us, we should make it, because when a player at his position and age tests the market coming off a season like he just had, his market value can only rise.

Sure, we can match it if we don't mind losing other players also sorely needed and restricting our means to fill other serious needs—but just because we can win the bidding war by simply matching the highest bid until there are no more doesn't make that economical. For top players, it tends to do the opposite, especially when he's ready to do a deal with us NOW, market unseen.

Let's be realistic: It's almost unthinkable we WON'T re-sign him unless testing the market produces an impossibly sky high value. We could prevent that right now; instead we're encouraging it.

G_Money
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
"I'm not worried about money," he said, noting that playing for a team that can win is a higher priority. "The money will be worked out in negotiations."

That's the quote that makes me happy. He went to the Eagles and had a miserable time, after some good playoff football in AZ. He knows the difference between playing for something, and getting lost in the shuffle. DRC is the one guy I would definitely want to pay before the market comes into play, so I hope John knows what he's doing.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-05-2014, 07:38 PM
That's the quote that makes me happy. He went to the Eagles and had a miserable time, after some good playoff football in AZ. He knows the difference between playing for something, and getting lost in the shuffle. DRC is the one guy I would definitely want to pay before the market comes into play, so I hope John knows what he's doing.

~G

I think he does-