PDA

View Full Version : Moving forward

Superchop 7
02-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Fixing the mess,

Oline- I find it amusing that Beadles made the pro-bowl, while being a nice pulling guard he offers little in the run game, so I let him walk and kick Clark inside. If Kuper is healed I try to work something out with him.

RB- Moreno is gone but Ball looks good and it is time for Hillman to put up or shut up, Rajion Neal as UDFA. (similar running style to Moreno, did well in SEC)

WR- Decker is gone and I am using 1st Rd pick to upgrade the position, Davante Adams, would like to keep Bubba around if possible. (But Adams is the next Keenan Allen, so it's a sweet move)

DE- Must upgrade to stud in FA, there are a few to choose from. Champs salary will be gone so I will move some of it here.

DT- If Wolfe is OK, we are fine

LB- Huge area of need, mobile QB's are the problem, need to draft and get younger faster, putting my 2nd, 3rd rd picks here. (Jones, Skov or BPA) Looking for sideline to sideline tenacity. (Yes, I aw aware Skov is not fast, but he is tenacious)

CB- Goodbye Champ, SEE YA.. Harris and DRC are nice starting points, putting draft picks 4,5 towards position to get more size. (BPA) Will see who is avail in FA as well.

S- Looking for diamonds in the rough, putting draft picks 6,7 towards the position. One of them will pan out nicely.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

As the combine shakes out I will have a better idea who we can get.

Lets face it, Decker was not a priority in the Superbowl for stopping by the defense, still could not do squat, if we upgrade the position it will pay huge dividends. Kid has to be able to start from day 1, once our #2 receiver is a legit threat it changes how people will play us.

Northman
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM
With Welker still in the fold WR wont be a #1 priority even if Decker walks. I like a lot of the other things you mentioned though.

Joel
02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Wolfe's a DE, not a DT, even if he moves there in nickel. He could probably play UT in our base, but I much prefer Vickerson and Knighton backed by Williams, assuming Vickersons dislocated him lets him play again. If so, re-sign Phillips—possibly even Ayers, too, if the cash is there (which I kinda doubt given other needs)—and Wolfe and Jackson make me feel pretty good about our DEs.

Unless some or all of the admittedly serious injuries are career ending, our defensive line is in pretty good shape. We might need a second pass rusher with as much or more speed/quickness as Phillips, but let's see what Smith does in camp. Wolfe and Jackson are both pretty solid pass rushers when healthy, and, like Phillips, play the run well, too.

Unless Champ's far greedier than he's ever acted, give him a reasonable contract to play FS with Ihenacho as enforcer, DRC and Harris outside and Webster putting his rookie hard knocks to use in the slot; then we just need to add a dimebackup if we don't want Carter back or he gets a better offer.

Woodyard back at Will with Trevathan behind is a talent surplus; I don't think Irving's ever gonna be the starting Mike we drafted third 3 years ago, but he's good enough to back Miller at Sam.

What we really need there is a quality Mike who covers, run-stops, blitzes, reads plays, calls audibles and generally plays defensive QB; what we haven't had in nearly a decade: Get one early.

We must replace Decker if he can't fight for balls down 30 pts in a Super Bowl, but Caldwells play in the second SD game suggests he's worth a shot; I'd still draft ONE WR somewhere.

I'd get Moreno back if I could because he's the only true everydown back we've got; Ball's gotten better at picking up the blitz, but still isn't there yet, and just grabbing a random high draft pick or FA won't give us a 1000 yd rusher AND 500 yd receiver who keeps Manning on his feet.

Now the real problem: The line. We won't get an All Pro guard by converting a failed tackle or hoping another team dumps a good guard like SD did; we need to draft/pay for one. Clady's near 30 and developing a serious injury history, and as bad as Franklin looked Sunday, a tackle would be a good investment, too, if only so a long term injury can't make Clark a starter instead of the depth he is. Ramirez had me sold till the SB; now I'm doubt him again. We seemingly have only one guard and one tackle to count on IF Clady's 100%: Spend/draft at least one good lineman.

Our line lost that SB, plain and simple. It wasn't our HoF QB, 3 Pro Bowl receivers or one of the few 1000 yd rusher/500 yd receivers in NFL history; he just couldn't pick up every elite rusher alone. Our D certainly didn't lose it; they kept us IN it despite half their starters in street clothes while the rest played practically the whole first half because historys best offense couldn't even manage a FIRST DOWN till midway through the SECOND quarter. Their only first half TD was near the end on a "drive" from our 37, and the SBs leading rusher had <50 yds on a power run team.

With a good offensive line, we win that game even with half our defense out; just imagine what we can do if we fix THAT problem this offseason and keep that defense healthy next year.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2014, 12:31 PM
LB- Huge area of need, mobile QB's are the problem, need to draft and get younger faster, putting my 2nd, 3rd rd picks here. (Jones, Skov or BPA) Looking for sideline to sideline tenacity. (Yes, I aw aware Skov is not fast, but he is tenacious)

We already have arguably the fastest set of LB's with Treviathon, Woodyard, Miller, Johnson. We need a MLB with speed and a nasty side but I'm not sure you find those in free agency or at the end of the first round. Would have loved to see Irving develop into that role but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. I wonder what the staff doesn't like about him in the middle. Irving doesn't seem to play much, but when he does he makes plays.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-05-2014, 12:39 PM
We already have arguably the fastest set of LB's with Treviathon, Woodyard, Miller, Johnson. We need a MLB with speed and a nasty side but I'm not sure you find those in free agency or at the end of the first round. Would have loved to see Irving develop into that role but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. I wonder what the staff doesn't like about him in the middle. Irving doesn't seem to play much, but when he does he makes plays.

I'm not sure about this year's MLB crop, but I think you can find nasty MLBs with speed at the end of the first round. Hell, our last good MLB with speed and nastiness came at the end of the first round.

I agree with the assessment on Irving. I liked the we he played when Miller went down. It could be that he's currently playing his natural position and can't make the transition to the MLB we hoped he'd be. I'd compare it to Woodyard who got replaced by Paris Lenon when we tried to make him our MLB instead of keeping him in his natural position.

Joel
02-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I think we can find the MLB we all want anywhere in the first, maybe even second, and should definitely TRY unless this years crop is utter garbage. Part of what sucks about using the draft to try and fill immediate needs (other than the fact many draftees need too much development time to fill any immediate need) is not having the luxury of waiting for a draft class with lots of good xs: We're limited to what's there, and if the BPA (or, with the 31st pick, the best LEFT after someone took the best, next best, third best, etc.) is an OT and we have 3 great ones, he's not much help.

Joel
02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
In fact, for what it's worth, which pick got us Wilson? #31 overall. Pick of Destiny! :eek:

Ziggy
02-05-2014, 04:03 PM

http://www.trbimg.com/img-50be21a3/turbine/os-pictures-central-florida-allamerican-team-2-020/600/420x600

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Christian Jones played a lot more OLB than MLB.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Christian Jones played a lot more OLB than MLB.

I stop short of saying that he didn't play any MLB but I'm not sure if he did play any MLB.

Ziggy
02-06-2014, 06:27 AM
I stop short of saying that he didn't play any MLB but I'm not sure if he did play any MLB.

He played all 3 positions in college. He played MLB for the first 5 games of the 2013 season and played it well, but FSU moved him back to SLB because they needed a pass rusher. He played his first 2 years a SLB as well, and his 3rd year at WLB.

Northman
02-06-2014, 06:33 AM
He played all 3 positions in college. He played MLB for the first 5 games of the 2013 season and played it well, but FSU moved him back to SLB because they needed a pass rusher. He played his first 2 years a SLB as well, and his 3rd year at WLB.

Yea, dude is a beast. I would be so happy if we drafted him. Probably my most coveted player going into this year's draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMataUcRs-M

DenBronx
02-06-2014, 06:38 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-50be21a3/turbine/os-pictures-central-florida-allamerican-team-2-020/600/420x600

Isnt he an OLB?? We already have those.

Northman
02-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Isnt he an OLB?? We already have those.

As Ziggy pointed out, he's played all 3 positions but listed as a ILB coming into the draft.

DenBronx
02-06-2014, 06:55 AM
As Ziggy pointed out, he's played all 3 positions but listed as a ILB coming into the draft.

Interesting. What about Skov from Stanford in round 3?

Also, Cecil Lammey thinks we should go after DE Murphy in round 1. He looks like a monster! Like JJ Watt v2.

DenBronx
02-06-2014, 06:58 AM

I like the versatility then. MLB is what is needed.

Looks like Miller and Trevathan are locks for WLB and SLB.

Northman
02-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Also, Cecil Lammey thinks we should go after DE Murphy in round 1. He looks like a monster! Like JJ Watt v2.

From what ive heard Skov is very good as well so i wouldnt have a problem with him either. One way or the other i think we need a very impactful MLB no matter where we pick him up.

Joel
02-06-2014, 08:52 AM
I like the versatility then. MLB is what is needed.

Looks like Miller and Trevathan are locks for WLB and SLB.
Well, MLB is all about doing everything at a high level, IMHO; it does make a bit nervous that FSUs depth chart lists him at <240. Maybe he'll get bigger after Draft Day, without losing speed.

Is he great in coverage, run stuffing and blitzing? Serious question; I don't follow the SECAA.

For the love of all that's holy, NO! We've got Jackson, better re-sign Phillips, hopefully get Wolfe back, have an early round DE pass rusher coming back from an ACL tear and might even re-sign Ayers; how many DEs do we need?! Throw in Miller and our pass rush should be fine next year, just as our run stopping. The "only" place we have a true defensive hole is right in the middle, where the defensive QB belong; call it "the Donut Defense" because it's solid everywhere but the empty middle. Another edge rusher won't fix that; there's more to D than sacks.

chazoe60
02-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Skov won't be there in round 3. Remember we pick at 31 so basically it would be round 4.

WARHORSE
02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Yea, dude is a beast. I would be so happy if we drafted him. Probably my most coveted player going into this year's draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMataUcRs-M

Nice player but I want a guy that crushes when he tackles.

Northman
02-06-2014, 12:24 PM

I dont think there is a LB out there that crushes every single time he tackles a player. Not too mention Jones did lay some wood on the one of the QB's in that video. The thing that impresses me more here is his coverage skills and ability to get into the backfield quick. Watching Jones in this video reminded me a lot of what we saw this past Sunday from the Hawk defenders. SPEED.

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM

who dat?

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
who dat?

oh, never mind

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 12:27 PM

nice player? are you out of your sunbleached mind?

DenBronx
02-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Well, MLB is all about doing everything at a high level, IMHO; it does make a bit nervous that FSUs depth chart lists him at <240. Maybe he'll get bigger after Draft Day, without losing speed.

Is he great in coverage, run stuffing and blitzing? Serious question; I don't follow the SECAA.

For the love of all that's holy, NO! We've got Jackson, better re-sign Phillips, hopefully get Wolfe back, have an early round DE pass rusher coming back from an ACL tear and might even re-sign Ayers; how many DEs do we need?! Throw in Miller and our pass rush should be fine next year, just as our run stopping. The "only" place we have a true defensive hole is right in the middle, where the defensive QB belong; call it "the Donut Defense" because it's solid everywhere but the empty middle. Another edge rusher won't fix that; there's more to D than sacks.

This is a year where I sort of didnt pay attention to college. I was too wrapped up in the Broncos.

Here is Lammeys mock draft. He has us going primarily all defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947361-2014-denver-broncos-mock-draft-with-player-scouting-profiles

Joel
02-06-2014, 08:54 PM
This is a year where I sort of didnt pay attention to college. I was too wrapped up in the Broncos.

Here is Lammeys mock draft. He has us going primarily all defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947361-2014-denver-broncos-mock-draft-with-player-scouting-profiles
It's not often a professional analyst loses me with the very first line. Seriously, wtf defense was HE watching?! The one I saw was missing half its starters, spent practically the whole first half on the field, and STILL only allowed ONE TD at the end, on a "drive" from our 37 that only reached the end zone because Carter was flagged for PI there on third down. If Harris is in there to make that play, it's another FG to hold them Seattle to 11-0 even though our amazing offense only ran 7 offensive plays on 3 "drives."

EVERYONE has us going defense, but the real NFL defense isn't Madden, and consists of more than sacks and picks. "You can never have enough pass-rushers:" BULL.

The ONE thing I DO agree is the observation we've not had a good MLB since Al Wilson nearly a decade ago—so he waits till the THIRD round to pick a MLB everyone here says will go in the SECOND. Then—after he already had us take a DB (instead of either of the two MLBs he suggests)—he has us draft ANOTHER in the fourth JUST FOR SPECIAL TEAMS! I mean, I'm trying not to be a jerk here, but the offensive line I saw defiled in the SB isn't NEARLY good enough it can wait till we draft a kick returner just because he had ONE walk off TD in high profile SECAA rivalry game.

He doesn't have us draft offense till the FIFTH round: And then it's a TE. Because of his YAC. Then another DE. Finally (literally) in the LAST round he magnaminously declares, "With the defense taken care of with almost every pick, it’s time to look at any offensive players who could help."

No, since the offense LOST us a SB our D manfully kept us in, the 7th round is LONG PAST time to address how our line got manhandled from kickoff to final gun. Lord, gimme strength, and my bodyweight in booze if that's our next draft, 'cause I'll need both.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 11:47 PM
oh, never mind

Overall Football Traits
Production 2 2010: (14/0) 18-3-3 2011: (13/13) 56-6-3 2012: (14/14) 95-7-0 Career: 6PD-2FF-4FR
Height-Weight-Speed 3 On the taller and leaner side but adequate bulk and can add weight. Estimated top-end speed is average
Durability 1 Has appeared in every game over the past two seasons and has started 27 consecutive games.
Intangibles 2 Father Willie Jones Sr. and brother Willie Jones Jr. played defensive end for Florida State. Father also played for the Raiders for three seasons. Named team's top freshman on defense in 2010.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Outside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 3 Locates ball quickly and height helps in terms of him tracking it but doesn't read keys or blocking schemes as well. Inconsistent backside discipline. Overaggressive and can get caught out of position on cutbacks. Recognizes screens and play action.

Take-on Skills 3 More shuffle and shake than downhill stack and shed. Keeps blockers off frame when takes on blocks at an angle. Flashes above average upper body strength and appears to have long arms. Not violent enough at the point and can take too long to get off blocks in phone booth.

Range vs. Run 2 Doesn't have elite closing burst and doesn't appear capable of running all NFL backs down from behind but long strider that runs well and takes sound angle for the most part. Above average job fighting off low blocks especially considering height.

Tackling 3 Effective square and wrap up tackler between the tackles. Adequate in space and can make plays in the open field when body control is sound. Gets into trouble when fails to wrap trying to deliver the bit and/or doesn't take sound pursuit angle.

3rd Down Capabilities 2 Gets to depth and can cover a lot of ground un underneath zone. Picks up backs and H-backs releasing out of the backfield. Appears long and fast enough to match up with tight ends. Powerful punch and can reroute receivers but doesn't have great fluidity or burst and can allow separation when doesn't get hands on assignment. Adequate initial burst and closing speed but unpolished pass rusher.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
PLAYER SEARCH

Christian Jones from Florida St.