PDA

View Full Version : Welker told Broncos: We’re the best offense ever, start showing it

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Broncos receiver Wes Welker got fired up during the Super Bowl, and he tried to get his teammates fired up with him by reminding them that Denver’s offense had been all but unstoppable during the season.

NFL Films microphones caught Welker gathering his teammates together to try to give them a pep talk on the sideline after the Broncos struggled early. As shown on NFL Network, a frustrated Welker implored his teammates to play the way they had in the regular season.

“Hey! We’re the best damn offense to ever play this game,” Welker said. “We’ve got to start showing it.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/04/welker-told-broncos-were-the-best-offense-ever-start-showing-it/

Lancane
02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Glad to know someone was passionate, I was starting to think we were the Living Dead Broncos!

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
I feel bad for Welker. He actually was doing good when given a chance.

Love that he tried to spark some confidence into the team. Lights were on but nobody was home.

Joel
02-04-2014, 08:44 PM
... and they whimpered s'more, tucked their tails between their legs, continued the terrified submissive urination and prayed it would end soon....

My King Dome for 2-3 dominating offensive linemen to can Avril and Mebane. Is it too late to call Schlereth and Nalen out of retirement? They're probably still both better than most of our scrubs.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I would have liked to see Fox try to light a fire under this team's *** instead of having his nose up it. Good to know at least a player/leader/captain attempted to motivate this team. Bad to know that our leader/captain couldn't motivate them.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
... and they whimpered s'more, tucked their tails between their legs, continued the terrified submissive urination and prayed it would end soon....

My King Dome for 2-3 dominating offensive linemen to can Avril and Mebane. Is it too late to call Schlereth and Nalen out of retirement? They're probably still both better than most of our scrubs.

Maybe not them but Jess Saturday??

Ok realistic, what ever happen to Koppen? He went on IR early right? Ramirez played rather solid all season and he took full resposibility for the botched snap. He just couldnt hear. I don't know if Koppen is signed for next year. If so it will be interesting to see who takes over at C.

Clady, Vasquez, Clark, Franklin and either Ramirez or Koppen should be our OL next year. I don't see us retaining Kuper and his 5-6 mill contract. Dude doesnt even play. I would like to know if Clark can transition to LG and play Vasquez and Franklin at RG and RT.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I would have liked to see Fox try to light a fire under this team's *** instead of having his nose up it. Good to know at least a player/leader/captain attempted to motivate this team. Bad to know that our leader/captain couldn't motivate them.

He's been known as a player friendly coach. Players actually love him. Pete Carroll isn't a light a fire under your ass or you're outta here coach. Players love him too. Carol is just more swagger and lose and Fox is just more come on guys I know you can do it. Del Rio is a little more intense so I get what you are saying.

I still like Fox and think we can win with him. ONE GAME shouldnt cause some sort of melt down but it should be very eye opening on where we need to get on defense.

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Welker should have been thrown at more. Another blunder.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Yeah that's exactly what I said during the game. I looked over at my dad and brother and said why isn't he getting involved in the game plan more? Seattle secondary would bump and run but after awhile the started playing deep. Perfect situation to start hitting Welker with quick slant routes.

I also am dissapointed we didnt play action or run early.

Slick
02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Broncos receiver Wes Welker got fired up during the Super Bowl, and he tried to get his teammates fired up with him by reminding them that Denver’s offense had been all but unstoppable during the season.

NFL Films microphones caught Welker gathering his teammates together to try to give them a pep talk on the sideline after the Broncos struggled early. As shown on NFL Network, a frustrated Welker implored his teammates to play the way they had in the regular season.

“Hey! We’re the best damn offense to ever play this game,” Welker said. “We’ve got to start showing it.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/04/welker-told-broncos-were-the-best-offense-ever-start-showing-it/

I was beginning to wonder if anyone on offense had a pulse that night. Man, what a letdown.

02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
He's been known as a player friendly coach. Players actually love him. Pete Carroll isn't a light a fire under your ass or you're outta here coach. Players love him too. Carol is just more swagger and lose and Fox is just more come on guys I know you can do it. Del Rio is a little more intense so I get what you are saying.

I still like Fox and think we can win with him. ONE GAME shouldnt cause some sort of melt down but it should be very eye opening on where we need to get on defense.

I'm not criticizing Fox for one game, I'm criticizing him for the biggest game in any football player's career. I also haven't been big on him for a while. Seattle was better and they played better, but Fox put a team on the field that didn't mind having its *** ****ed by the sea-***** for a full 4 quarters.

I also disagree with the defense comments. The best phase of that game was our defense. Turnovers and awful special teams are what concerns me moving forward.

TimHippo
02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
You aren't the best offense "Ever" if you lay an egg in the super bowl. John Fox choked.

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Joel
02-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe not them but Jess Saturday??
I believe he's enjoying retirement. Even if not, I was being facetious about an old timer; I doubt a guy in his late 30s has the physicality we need at the line (it wasn't Saturdays style anyway.)

Ok realistic, what ever happen to Koppen? He went on IR early right? Ramirez played rather solid all season and he took full resposibility for the botched snap. He just couldnt hear. I don't know if Koppen is signed for next year. If so it will be interesting to see who takes over at C.
Koppen was also retired till we coaxed him back after Waltons preseason injury; he tore his ACL about a week later, so I'm pretty sure retirement's permanent now. I feel better about Ramirez than Beadles; you're right, not being able to hear and not using a silent count isn't on him, it's on Fox for turning off the crowd simulator in practice because "this isn't an away game."

Clady, Vasquez, Clark, Franklin and either Ramirez or Koppen should be our OL next year. I don't see us retaining Kuper and his 5-6 mill contract. Dude doesnt even play. I would like to know if Clark can transition to LG and play Vasquez and Franklin at RG and RT.
Well, Clark does do better against power than quickness, so I admit I like the idea of transitioning him to LG and leaving Franklin at RT better than the idea of replacing an average RT with a poor backup LT. Generally speaking though, I think guards are sorely underrated (especially in the run game, where the seem to be chiefly valued for pulling to block downfield, not line surge.) I don't think we can get an All Pro guard by hoping another team dumps a good one like SD did or converting a failed tackle.

If we want a great guard, we should draft/sign one, not convert a bad tackle. I could easily see going for a strong, quick and tough guard AND offensive tackle early in the draft; in fact, at this point I'd probably spend my top three picks on G, OT and MLB. Now, whether those rookies can get over the learning curve in time to win next years SB is less certain, even if all three are studs, but in terms of the "What if you were GM?" thread, that's where I'd go first, with some safety depth behind it.

A lot of that depends on what happens with the half dozen Broncos starters who had season-ending injuries though, because any or all of them could permanently diminish them or even end their careers. That's roughly a third of our entire starting lineup (which makes the SB run all the more remarkable, however it ended,) and until we have some certainty about their future it's very hard to know where we should invest the most resources.

All I know is that great passing can save poor running and vice versa, but an offense can't pass OR run without great blocking. Super Bowl XLVIII was a textbook example.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
You aren't the best offense "Ever" if you lay an egg in the super bowl. John Fox choked.

Uh yes we are. NE had the best offense in 07 but couldnt beat a real defense.

Great defenses will beat great offenses. I don't think that will ever change.

Fox did get out coached but our players also sucked. This loss isnt just one guy. Manning had a bad game, DT fumbled, C botched a snap, there were missed tackles everywhere. Did you even watch the game or were you too busy jerking off to Tim Tebow commercials?

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm not criticizing Fox for one game, I'm criticizing him for the biggest game in any football player's career. I also haven't been big on him for a while. Seattle was better and they played better, but Fox put a team on the field that didn't mind having its *** ****ed by the sea-***** for a full 4 quarters.

I also disagree with the defense comments. The best phase of that game was our defense. Turnovers and awful special teams are what concerns me moving forward.

I agree on turnovers. There was no excuse for that. None! Hard to win when you are giving Seattle every damn opportunity on a silver platter. Had we had a successfull first drive that might have started to take the Seattle crowd out of the game a bit and relaxed us as a team.

Still stand by my view on defense. We need to get better there or the results will be the same again next year.

Tned
02-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Wow, if only the Broncos players had gotten advice from us first and actually showed up and wanted to win the Super Bow. I can only imagine the hell they would have reigned down on Seattle, if they only knew the key was to show heart and "want" it. What a shame.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Wow, if only the Broncos players had gotten advice from us first and actually showed up and wanted to win the Super Bow. I can only imagine the hell they would have reigned down on Seattle, if they only knew the key was to show heart and "want" it. What a shame.

Be sarcastic if it makes the pill easier to swallow T, but the Broncos showed little heart, no passion or desire to win that game. They were as Coach Fox said, "Soaking it in and enjoying the moment!" and I am sure that it was great till they got their butts handed to them in a prison style raping.

We all have our own opinions on the state of the Broncos', some of us have faith in the regime, some of us do not, some are on the fence, but most agree the Broncos' dropped the ball, and thus far Manning is the only one Manning Up!

MOtorboat
02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Be sarcastic if it makes the pill easier to swallow T, but the Broncos showed little heart, no passion or desire to win that game. They were as Coach Fox said, "Soaking it in and enjoying the moment!" and I am sure that it was great till they got their butts handed to them in a prison style raping.

We all have our own opinions on the state of the Broncos', some of us have faith in the regime, some of us do not, some are on the fence, but most agree the Broncos' dropped the ball, and thus far Manning is the only one Manning Up!

Read that without sarcasm and it's still true.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Read that without sarcasm and it's still true.

Hard not to read the sarcasm in that Mo, unless your Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder! I get that T has faith in Elway and Fox, but the Broncos this past Sunday looked like the CU Football team, not the high powered, monster offense that outplayed thirteen teams in the regular season or were mostly dominant over two good teams in the playoffs that previously beat them, they looked unenthusiastic and beaten from almost the start.

MOtorboat
02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Hard not to read the sarcasm in that Mo, unless your Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder! I get that T has faith in Elway and Fox, but the Broncos this past Sunday looked like the CU Football team, not the high powered, monster offense that outplayed thirteen teams in the regular season or were mostly dominant over two good teams in the playoffs that previously beat them, they looked unenthusiastic and beaten from almost the start.

So they got beat.

:whoknows:

02-04-2014, 10:01 PM
So they got beat.

You sound like John Fox

Lancane
02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
So they got beat.

And I am still not over it, let me grieve damn it, before I beat someone wearing a Seahawks jersey! :D

MOtorboat
02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
You sound like John Fox

Let me get in my fancy, dancy time machine and go back and fix it...

Denver lost the Super Bowl. It has a good team. It has questions in free agency in the offseason, but some of this shit is just stupid. I'm reading that Fox's body language means he doesn't care. Think about how stupid that statement is.

MOtorboat
02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
And I am still not over it, let me grieve damn it, before I beat someone wearing a Seahawks jersey! :D

I'd rather you do that. :2thumbs:

Tned
02-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Cane, you accuse me of being a homer, but you are being a fatalist with no grip on reality.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Can, you accuse me of being a homer, but you are being a fatalist with no grip on reality.

Reality is overrated to begin with! :lol:

Tned
02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Reality is overrated to begin with! :lol:

True, and that should have said, Cane, not can, but the can might have been a Freudian slip, since you have lost such a grip on reality, I think you lost the right to have an "e" in your name!!! ;)

02-04-2014, 10:19 PM

Denver lost the Super Bowl. It has a good team. It has questions in free agency in the offseason, but some of this shit is just stupid. I'm reading that Fox's body language means he doesn't care. Think about how stupid that statement is.

Did I say that or did someone say that somewhere else?

Lancane
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
True, and that should have said, Cane, not can, but the can might have been a Freudian slip, since you have lost such a grip on reality, I think you lost the right to have an "e" in your name!!! ;)

:beer:

After that *** beating, I think I am allowed to feel a little bit of bereavement and with it, an escape from reality. To be honest, I wish I could sometimes be a homer though, but as I said I am not built that way, I have to know how it ticks and my faith is limited. Oh, well...

Let's just hope that John Elway and company can fix it, but right now I have sincere doubts.

Tned
02-04-2014, 10:29 PM
:beer:

After that *** beating, I think I am allowed to feel a little bit of bereavement and with it, an escape from reality. To be honest, I wish I could sometimes be a homer though, but as I said I am not built that way, I have to know how it ticks and my faith is limited. Oh, well...

Let's just hope that John Elway and company can fix it, but right now I have sincere doubts.

It's not about being a home. I've been reading your posts for what 7 or 8 years now. What would be more accurate would be to say you are a contrarian in your views. We can't necessarily say your opinions have been wrong, because they are almost always saying what the Broncos are doing is wrong, therefore they can't be pointed to as, "see, Cane, you were wrong..." because you could just reply, but they didn't try my idea.

P.S. Like that Radio Shack commercial about the '80s called and wants there store back, I think here we have, "they 90's called and wants your view on the offensive line back." We aren't going to be the '98 Broncos. We don't have TD, we don't have Elway, Manning isn't going to be running naked boot legs behind an Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme (although he did run one bootleg for a TD behind an Alex Gibbs coached line this year).

Some of you guys are big time copy cats, in the sense, it's always, "we need to do what the Pats are doing" " we need to do what the Niners are doing" "we need to do what the Hawks are doing..." Yet, the Niners are just as big a failure as the Broncos, as they failed to win the SB as well. How many teams in the last thirty years have gone to back to back SBs? More importantly, how many have won back to back SBs? Newsflash, putting together a team to reach and win the SB is insanely hard and takes a LOT of luck along the way, which is why there are so few that even get back a second time, not to mention actually winning twice.

MOtorboat
02-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Did I say that or did someone say that somewhere else?

You're right. It wasn't specifically you.

But you are trying to use the words he said today to suggest he doesn't care. I'd say that's unequivocally false.

Because he doesn't have the same public reaction as you doesn't mean he doesn't care.

02-04-2014, 11:02 PM
You're right. It wasn't specifically you.

But you are trying to use the words he said today to suggest he doesn't care. I'd say that's unequivocally false.

Because he doesn't have the same public reaction as you doesn't mean he doesn't care.

I'm not implying that he doesn't care. This is a press conference where his public reaction is supposed to be dispassionate with some credit to the other team mixed in. It's just not what I want to hear right now.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 11:23 PM
It's not about being a home. I've been reading your posts for what 7 or 8 years now. What would be more accurate would be to say you are a contrarian in your views. We can't necessarily say your opinions have been wrong, because they are almost always saying what the Broncos are doing is wrong, therefore they can't be pointed to as, "see, Cane, you were wrong..." because you could just reply, but they didn't try my idea.

First off, I have never said that you were a home, a homer yes, but not a house. How rude would I be to suggest such.

As to the rest of the first paragraph, T, I think you are confusing me, I'm far from a contrarian. I always point out little things that could be improved, but that doesn't mean I feel what the Broncos do or did was exactly wrong because most of my views don't exactly sit with your own or the so-called majority, they are still my own. I question moves or calls, as do a number of other fans, admittedly I can be overly passionate about it, some could say severely eccentric even. You say that you can not tell me that I am wrong, T, but you've done so before and I have accepted it with humility on most occasions – I am far from perfect and don't see myself as such, even last night on here did you not do just that in response to the Manning Contract situation regarding dead money, and I said that I was wrong in response? Did I not?

P.S. Like that Radio Shack commercial about the '80s called and wants there store back, I think here we have, "they 90's called and wants your view on the offensive line back." We aren't going to be the '98 Broncos. We don't have TD, we don't have Elway, Manning isn't going to be running naked boot legs behind an Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme (although he did run one bootleg for a TD behind an Alex Gibbs coached line this year).

If you think I am hanging on to glory years, then would I be more abrasive regarding the Shanahan debate? No, like the majority I felt it was time to move on. In fact, I have long held the personal belief that Dan Reeves is the greatest coach in Broncos' history, of course that doesn't sit well with some, but that is my belief and statistically arguable. The reason I said I would bring the zone blocking scheme back in the 'What would you do as GM' thread is because there are two advantages, it propels the run game which is inarguable when you see the results year in and year out from those teams that utilize it and secondly, it's easier to maintain with less then superior talent and makes up for the talent lacking on the offensive front. I don't expect Manning to be Elway, he can never be that, Elway will always be our own and the Greatest of all-time by the majority. I still think it's feesable to use the zone blocking scheme with this offense.

Some of you guys are big time copy cats, in the sense, it's always, "we need to do what the Pats are doing" " we need to do what the Niners are doing" "we need to do what the Hawks are doing..." Yet, the Niners are just as big a failure as the Broncos, as they failed to win the SB as well. How many teams in the last thirty years have gone to back to back SBs? More importantly, how many have won back to back SBs? Newsflash, putting together a team to reach and win the SB is insanely hard and takes a LOT of luck along the way, which is why there are so few that even get back a second time, not to mention actually winning twice.

Granted I lobbyed for McDaniels to be the Head Coach despite better choices and that was before he went power hungry and totally tore the team apart, it was not because I wanted to be like the Patriots, but felt the offense they ran would help better Cutler and would be successful with the talent we had. And did hope that we'd continue to draft in a manner condusive to similar success, alas like the offense he dismantled the personnel staff that had netted the Broncos such talent. Since then I am more glad then anything that they don't listen to the fans, I know that we can be aggressively overbearing in our opinions, but that doesn't mean we actually think the team will listen to us. That would be like Donald Trump listening to a bum about how to invest money wisely! And when and where did I state we need to be like the 49ers? I've long suggested we can win with a 'Bend don't Break' defensive scheme, just that the defense needs to improve for the team to be successful and most agree with that sentiment. Within two seasons we went from the 4th best defense to the 24th best defense, that is a huge slide and not all due to the loss of Von Miller or losing Elvis Dumervil either, my suggestion was to switch to the 3-4 which is true, but because our personnel is a better fit, I also question Del Rio as the defensive coordinator and there are many who do as well. Are you exactly happy with the state of the Broncos as they are?

And I never said getting to the Super Bowl would be easy, I just don't want to see them waste the chance they have created by ignoring what has left them short of that goal, twice now, and in what is becoming a more competive league year in and year out. The chance of reaching their goal is fleeting with each lost opportunity not to mention other factors. In the end, you may find that making it there is a sign of success, I am sure Manning would tell you that falling short when you have the opportunity is not, and that is what happened. I question things because that is the way I am, it is in no way a sign of fanhood (not saying you question that) or a short coming for myself from my own perspective, it is just the way I am. I love the Broncos, but I will question the poor decisions, the bad picks, horrid game calling, etc., etc. and that does not make me a bad fan, just different then the norm or by whatever standards normal can be percieved as on the board.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 11:24 PM

It's a copy cat league though. It will always be like that too. That's why you see NFL teams cherry picking from SB winning staffs all the time when they need a new coach. Why do you think we inspired to hire Dennis Allen or Josh McDaniels? We try and put in what is working around the league.

Clearly what the NFCW is doing is building defenses that stop a modern day offense. The league favors the offense but what these teams are doing is working.

Joel
02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah, if only they had known they had to show up to win a world championship. If only they'd figured that out after they giftwrapped their best shot at a SB win in 15 years and handed it to an over-the-hill shell of a Ravens team. If only they'd figured it out after buying their own BS against Indy and letting their first ballot HoFer get chased around their own backfield.

Maybe this is what it took. Not a close loss like the DOT playoff or the 6 pt loss in Indy that let us shrug off anomalous "mistakes" as "correctable" (as Fox and Del Rio repeatedly called them all year.) Instead, a thorough curbstomping that leaves us thinking, not we need to tweak this or that little thing, practice this one play more often, but we MUST fundamentally get our stuff together.

It's been clearly established NO ONE in a Broncos jersey can beat up ANYONE in a Seahawks jersey. Again, it was globally broadcast; people in Sri Lanka know it.

Let's just give it that wry Fox grin and go back to figuring out how soft linemen can finesse their way out of having their faces shoved in the dirt by stronger players. Maybe if Manning learns to teleport the ball so it can't be tipped and he doesn't need protection; he can do anything, after all, even competely compensate for pathetically inept blocking, and if Moreno can't do the same he's just a first round bust (just like Ball will be a second round bust in a few years.) We have Manning, so we don't need anyone else—except to tape both his ankles.

Seems like Gibbs' return to Denver suggests a return to our SB champ lines is more than an internet theory. No, it's not the nineties, but isn't it amazing how Arian Foster went from undrafted to the Pro Bowl thanks to Kubiak, Dennison and Gibbs? Isn't it remarkable how everytime Foster's hurt Ben Tate steps in for a great season without missing a beat? I've watched enough Texans games to know Tate's no Terrell Davis, but behind that line he doesn't have to be. Pity they never had a decent QB, but that's a different rant. ;)

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Joel I think DT can beat up many Seacocks. He just doesnt know it yet.

Joel
02-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Joel I think DT can beat up many Seacocks. He just doesnt know it yet.
Actually, DT's the exception in my book. You don't break the GoATs SB reception record with a separated shoulder against THOSE 'roid-raging thugs without a fair amount of fight in you.

It's just too bad he and Welker can't translate that to the offensive linemen with twice their size but half their heart. :tsk:

MOtorboat
02-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Joel is happy and satisfied and needs a cigarette.

Joel
02-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Joel is happy and satisfied and needs a cigarette.
We just got the second worst SB beating in history, surpassed only by, well, US in SB XXIV, and literally the entire planet saw it: I'm the furthest thing from satisfied by that, and baffled by how many people were apparently just content to be there, however humiliating it was. What's most baffling is that our coach seems to be among them.

zbofasho
02-05-2014, 02:10 AM
They are but we need defense seriously

Joel
02-05-2014, 02:49 AM
They are but we need defense seriously
Our D played their hearts out with half the starters gone. The SBs leading rusher had <50 yds, and that was by a power running team. The D spent practically the entire first half on the field, yet only gave up ONE TD late on a "drive" from our 37. The D kept us in that game throughout an entire first quarter when the Greatest Offense Evah couldn't even mange ONE first down!

It's not the greatest offense ever: It's the greatest PASSING ever, thanks to maybe the greatest pocket passer ever and 3 Pro Bowl receivers. But they need >2-3 seconds to get the ball out against good press coverage, and if our great pass protection can't even stop a 4 man rush it's not a stretch to say maybe they're not as great as Manning reads and quick releases makes them look. That maybe the Greatest Offense Evah wasn't 20th in rushing yds/att because Moreno or Ball are bums, but because they have bums pretending to block for them.

We need defense seriously? We've got it: Vickerson, Knighton, Phillips, Wolfe, DRC, Harris, Champ, Miller, Woodyard, Trevathan, Ihenacho. How the Hell much defense does historys greatest offense need to score more than ONCE in a Super Bowl? Halfway through the third quarter I was thinking, Please, God, don't let us be the First Super Bowl Shutout Evah​.

That's the DEFENSES fault? "Seriously?" As little as our D's appreciated, why would any good defender come here? Anyone without multiple sacks/picks per game is apparently worthless.

Northman
02-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Bad to know that our leader/captain couldn't motivate them.

Thats probably the most disheartening thing about all this.

Northman
02-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Caring and being a good motivator are two separate things entirely. I have no doubt that Fox wanted to win i just dont believe he is a very good motivator and it seemed to show on the biggest stage there is.

BroncoJoe
02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
We just got the second worst SB beating in history, surpassed only by, well, US in SB XXIV, and literally the entire planet saw it: I'm the furthest thing from satisfied by that, and baffled by how many people were apparently just content to be there, however humiliating it was. What's most baffling is that our coach seems to be among them.

Not to nit-pick, but it's tied for the third worst.

Tned
02-05-2014, 09:33 AM
It's just too bad he and Welker can't translate that to the offensive linemen with twice their size but half their heart. :tsk:

Idiotic statement alert.

Tned
02-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Caring and being a good motivator are two separate things entirely. I have no doubt that Fox wanted to win i just dont believe he is a very good motivator and it seemed to show on the biggest stage there is.

If our players needed to be "motivated" to play in the SB, then we have the wrong players. Don't get me wrong, I discount your (and others) whole notion that the Broncos didn't show heart, didn't want it, etc. However, if you are going to go down that road, place the blame where it lies, which is with the players that in your opinion didn't care if they won or lost.

Did they start playing tight, because everything that could go wrong was going wrong? Yea, I think that's fair. To say they weren't motivated or didn't want it is baseless and simplistic. Is it accurate? I have no clue, because unless you have a way to get into players heads, we will never know, but common sense and listening to the players all year, specifically about how motivated they were following the BAL loss and how much they wanted to win it all, to take the approach that they only lost because they didn't want it or didn't show heart is a pretty weak analysis of what went down on Sunday.

BroncoWave
02-05-2014, 09:40 AM
If our players needed to be "motivated" to play in the SB, then we have the wrong players. Don't get me wrong, I discount your (and others) whole notion that the Broncos didn't show heart, didn't want it, etc. However, if you are going to go down that road, place the blame where it lies, which is with the players that in your opinion didn't care if they won or lost.

Did they start playing tight, because everything that could go wrong was going wrong? Yea, I think that's fair. To say they weren't motivated or didn't want it is baseless and simplistic. Is it accurate? I have no clue, because unless you have a way to get into players heads, we will never know, but common sense and listening to the players all year, specifically about how motivated they were following the BAL loss and how much they wanted to win it all, to take the approach that they only lost because they didn't want it or didn't show heart is a pretty weak analysis of what went down on Sunday.

I think it's easier to just make up the excuse that our players didn't want it enough or that our coaches didn't coach hard enough instead of just accepting the cold, hard reality that we got whipped by a better team.

Northman
02-05-2014, 09:42 AM
However, if you are going to go down that road, place the blame where it lies, which is with the players that in your opinion didn't care if they won or lost.

Oh believe me, the players get plenty of the blame as well

to take the approach that they only lost because they didn't want it or didn't show heart is a pretty weak analysis of what went down on Sunday.

I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. Do i think initially they wanted to win it? Absolutely. Do i think they packed it in early? Absolutely. Two different things entirely.

Northman
02-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I think it's easier to just make up the excuse that our players didn't want it enough or that our coaches didn't coach hard enough instead of just accepting the cold, hard reality that we got whipped by a better team.

Everyone has an excuse for everything including you and Tned. But they are just opinions like everyone else.

BroncoJoe
02-05-2014, 09:45 AM

I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. Do i think initially they wanted to win it? Absolutely. Do i think they packed it in early? Absolutely. Two different things entirely.

With so much going wrong in the first half, then the opening kickoff for a TD, I can't say I "blame" them. Professional athletes or not, they're still human. At some point you still give an effort, but know what the outcome is going to be.

Northman
02-05-2014, 09:46 AM
With so much going wrong in the first half, then the opening kickoff for a TD, I can't say I "blame" them. Professional athletes or not, they're still human. At some point you still give an effort, but know what the outcome is going to be.

Then we are in agreement that they packed it in. Thats all ive been saying.

BroncoWave
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Good point. And I think our defense played their asses off during the first half. The score could have been way worse if not for some crucial red zone stands. After that Harvin TD, I can't say I really blame the team for becoming deflated after it.

BroncoJoe
02-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Then we are in agreement that they packed it in. Thats all ive been saying.

I guess the phrase "packed it in" doesn't sit well, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it.

Joel
02-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Not to nit-pick, but it's tied for the third worst.
Correction noted; still, yick. New rule: We don't go to the SB unless sure of victory, because when we lose, it's a total disgrace witnessed by the entire planet.

I guess the phrase "packed it in" doesn't sit well, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it.
None of our players should be sitting well after the way they got it "packed in" Sunday. I'm still looking at the offensive line; being down one starter in Clady is no excuse for repeatedly and incessantly collapsing on Manning, Moreno and Ball for 3 solid hours. Total tortoise shell effort, from the very first snap: They just pulled their heads in and waited for Seattle to get bored kicking them. Which might've been fine, in principle, except they weren't the people getting most of the kicks.

Tned
02-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Yet, they were moving the ball better late than early, but still kept having one mistake after another, or good defensive play that stopped them. There is no question that the game got away from them early due to mistakes and bad pass protection, and it seemed like they then started pressing, which leads to more mistakes and bad play. But, I guess you and I saw two different games, since you saw the game where the guys weren't fighting to get open, fighting to pick up first downs, playing with separated shoulders, etc. I guess they televised a different game on the east coast then in the central time zone.

TXBRONC
02-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Idiotic statement alert.

It his gift.

Northman
02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
But, I guess you and I saw two different games, since you saw the game where the guys weren't fighting to get open, fighting to pick up first downs, playing with separated shoulders, etc. I guess they televised a different game on the east coast then in the central time zone.

Nah, just two different takes and two different interpretations of what we saw in that game. And imagine that, i didnt even have to be a snarky bitch about my response.

Tned
02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Nah, just two different takes and two different interpretations of what we saw in that game. And imagine that, i didnt even have to be a snarky bitch about my response.

There has been plenty of snarky being spread around the last 48 hours, but point taken.

Joel
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
It his gift.
Ok, fine: Our linemen were fully prepared psychologiclly and emotionally, and just got the crap pounded out of them from kickoff to final gun because Seattles front four is THAT much better.

Problem solved...? :confused:

Tned
02-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Ok, fine: Our linemen were fully prepared psychologiclly and emotionally, and just got the crap pounded out of them from kickoff to final gun because Seattles front four is THAT much better.

Problem solved...? :confused:

Case in point ^^^ Snarky.

Joel
02-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Case in point ^^^ Snarky.
Drop the last two words though and it's a perfectly valid response, IMHO; if they were prepared in every way and STILL got DESTROYED by a group they outnumbered, what are the other possible explanations? Seattles front four is WAY better than our front five, or...?

I'm really trying to not be combative here: I'm saying I found no other options, so you're welcome and encouraged to state any. We play them again next year (maybe twice,) so need an answer.

OB
02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

READ FULL ARTICLE:
It makes me so mad they couldn't pull it together. I kept hoping but a part of me just knew it wasn't gonna happen. :cry:

OB
02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

GD it mo. How r u so rationale and still such a big sports fan. Doesn't every sports fan have to have a little crazy :wacko:

OB
02-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Our D played their hearts out with half the starters gone. The SBs leading rusher had <50 yds, and that was by a power running team. The D spent practically the entire first half on the field, yet only gave up ONE TD late on a "drive" from our 37. The D kept us in that game throughout an entire first quarter when the Greatest Offense Evah couldn't even mange ONE first down!

It's not the greatest offense ever: It's the greatest PASSING ever, thanks to maybe the greatest pocket passer ever and 3 Pro Bowl receivers. But they need >2-3 seconds to get the ball out against good press coverage, and if our great pass protection can't even stop a 4 man rush it's not a stretch to say maybe they're not as great as Manning reads and quick releases makes them look. That maybe the Greatest Offense Evah wasn't 20th in rushing yds/att because Moreno or Ball are bums, but because they have bums pretending to block for them.

We need defense seriously? We've got it: Vickerson, Knighton, Phillips, Wolfe, DRC, Harris, Champ, Miller, Woodyard, Trevathan, Ihenacho. How the Hell much defense does historys greatest offense need to score more than ONCE in a Super Bowl? Halfway through the third quarter I was thinking, Please, God, don't let us be the First Super Bowl Shutout Evah​.

That's the DEFENSES fault? "Seriously?" As little as our D's appreciated, why would any good defender come here? Anyone without multiple sacks/picks per game is apparently worthless.. Omg omg thank you. I had this argument with someone in my office. I tried to explain when we were down 29-0 in the third our D had only given up 13 of those points - could we ask for more????? Seriously. The guy I was talking to tried to tell me our defense was hardly ever on the field. I'm not a stats person so I had no comeback other than BS TOP only became a favor after we had that last drive where we should have kicked the FG and gotten points on the board before half. And I think we definitely need to get a better pash rush going - but when we get a healthy D and Von pulls his head out - I think we are solid.

TXBRONC
02-05-2014, 07:53 PM
OB420 long time no see gorgeous. :hug:

OB
02-05-2014, 07:56 PM
OB420 long time no see gorgeous. :hug:

Howdy TX - lol. How have you been? Glad to be back. Missed u all. :love:

TXBRONC
02-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Howdy TX - lol. How have you been? Glad to be back. Missed u all. :love:

I'm alright. We have missed you too.

Joel
02-06-2014, 09:03 AM
. Omg omg thank you. I had this argument with someone in my office. I tried to explain when we were down 29-0 in the third our D had only given up 13 of those points - could we ask for more????? Seriously. The guy I was talking to tried to tell me our defense was hardly ever on the field. I'm not a stats person so I had no comeback other than BS TOP only became a favor after we had that last drive where we should have kicked the FG and gotten points on the board before half. And I think we definitely need to get a better pash rush going - but when we get a healthy D and Von pulls his head out - I think we are solid.
Show him the first half drive chart:

1) Snap through the end zone,
2) Three-and-out
3) Three-and-Int
4) Pick-six

That LAST drive before halftime was also the FIRST where we got a first down. Which (along with the first Int) was why Seattles offense got its only first half TD on a "drive" from our 37.

Midway through the 2nd quarter we'd run a total of 7 offensive plays, so ask the guy: If our defense wasn't out there for the rest, who was...?

He's technically right only in the sense that Vickerson, Wolfe, Miller, Harris and Moore were NEVER out there, because of season-ending injuries, so literally HALF our starters missed the game.

I still won't charge >6 pts to them in the first half; the rest was just great field position thanks to our offense (can't even say it was Seattles great D on the safety.) The D kept us in that game, holding Seattle to just a pair of FGs when our offense was doing all it could to lose; after the Int gave Seattle the ball on our 37, the D just ran out of gas after playing the whole first quarter and half the second. Seattle STILL needed a 3rd down PI in the end zone on Carter to get that TD; if Harris is covering, it's just another FG, and a Denver TD makes it 10-7 at the half.

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 09:11 AM

sometimes I wish you were my dad

Tned
02-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Drop the last two words though and it's a perfectly valid response, IMHO;

Take away your keyboard, and you are just as civil and non-condescending as the next poster. So, I don't get it, do you have a point with this meaningless point?

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 09:55 AM
. Omg omg thank you. I had this argument with someone in my office. I tried to explain when we were down 29-0 in the third our D had only given up 13 of those points - could we ask for more????? Seriously. The guy I was talking to tried to tell me our defense was hardly ever on the field. I'm not a stats person so I had no comeback other than BS TOP only became a favor after we had that last drive where we should have kicked the FG and gotten points on the board before half. And I think we definitely need to get a better pash rush going - but when we get a healthy D and Von pulls his head out - I think we are solid.

OB.. Joel is a good poster, you'll find that many here aren't too appreciative of him a bit wordy, but valuable and consistent insight, imo ...

Joel
02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Take away your keyboard, and you are just as civil and non-condescending as the next poster. So, I don't get it, do you have a point with this meaningless point?
The point was the point was perfectly valid, and only the last TWO WORDS should've been dropped for civilitys sake.

BroncoNut
02-06-2014, 02:59 PM
The point was the point was perfectly valid, and only the last TWO WORDS should've been dropped for civilitys sake.

they are looking for seams Joel. they are ravenous dogs.