PDA

View Full Version : Carroll: We really felt like we could knock the crud out of Broncos

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 06:45 PM
The Seahawks spent all season being a physical football team and they weren’t about to run away from what got them to the Super Bowl when it came time to face the Broncos.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll appeared with “Brock and Danny” on 710 ESPN Seattle on Tuesday and said that the Seahawks emphasized the need to “outhit” the Broncos during the two weeks leading up to the game. A big hit by safety Kam Chancellor on Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas on the first Denver completion of the game showed the message hit home.

“We really made the decision early to stay with what we know really well and demonstrate to our guys that we believe in them and trust them,” Carroll said. “Let’s play the way we want to play. The more we looked at it, the more excited we got about it. We really felt like we could knock the crud out of these guys.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/04/carroll-we-really-felt-like-we-could-knock-the-crud-out-of-broncos/

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, get ready to hear these kinds of things until next season.

How are you guys coping with the blowout loss? I am not handling it so well. Havent went to work since.

Are there any type of AA meetings for sports fans??

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Yeah, get ready to hear these kinds of things until next season.

How are you guys coping with the blowout loss? I am not handling it so well. Havent went to work since.

I was over it by the 3rd quarter. It's way easier for me to get over blowout losses than games like against Baltimore where we lose on a hail mary. Seattle was just the better team and there was nothing we could do about it. No shame in that. Just gotta regroup and try to put a better, more physical team on the field next season.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah unfortunately for me during the 3rd and 4th Q I was still having WTF moments about the 1st and 2nd Q.

3rd Q starts kick the ball and boom KR4TD.

broken12
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I am glad things like this are being said, maybe some of our front office and players will see why del Rio gets pissed when assignments are missed, we need some bitch slappers out there and some romanowski type guys....trade for suh

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Really enjoy watching Seattle play defense. Absolutely loved the way that team played defense. They were f'n swagging all game and they knew it. Carrol was right. They knew they could beat the shit out of our Greatest Offense Ever and they absolutely did.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I am glad things like this are being said, maybe some of our front office and players will see why del Rio gets pissed when assignments are missed, we need some bitch slappers out there and some romanowski type guys....trade for suh

Trading for Suh is unrealistic and also not a need. Terrance Knighton and Vickerson are beast in the middle dude.

I am thinking for along the lines of a Patrick Willis. We need a heart and sole in this defense, a true vocal leader.

Jon Beason would be a great addition. I think coming here would get his career back on path plus he played with John Fox in Carolina. Not sure how mean he is....we need mean. Like a go f*** yourself dirty dawg. I never once saw our defense get mad.....they just hung their heads in defeat.

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, get ready to hear these kinds of things until next season. How are you guys coping with the blowout loss? I am not handling it so well. Havent went to work since. Are there any type of AA meetings for sports fans??

I'm getting more frustrated by it. Gameday I was stunned and alcohol somewhat eased the pain. Yesterday I was down. I'm getting increasingly angry as a result of Sherman's and Fox's comments though.

I might have to tune out sports for awhile and focus on other things.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Really enjoy watching Seattle play defense. Absolutely loved the way that team played defense. They were f'n swagging all game and they knew it. Carrol was right. They knew they could beat the shit out of our Greatest Offense Ever and they absolutely did.

I hate to say it but their defense inspires me as a fan. They have the best secondarys I have ever seen. Their front 4 beat our 5 OL. It was also their attitude, almost like they knew they were better. I also like how they studied and prepared. They figured out Manning when no one else really could.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
They did what they wanted and we pretty much let them, despite the record this still feels like a losing season. I'd rather have been 12-4 and lost in the divisional or championship round of the playoffs, at least the 'what the hells' would have been less disgusting then this. You don't go to Angelina Jolie's suite if she invited you up for some one on one time and not be able to keep it up! You get the one if a lifetime chance, sometimes once in a lifetime (ask Champ Bailey) and to not be able to even seem relevant?

Mike
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Not too shabby.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-04-2014, 07:05 PM

I disagree on trading for Suh, but couldn't agree more that this team could use a few Romanowskis. The Broncos teams of the 90s wouldn't have sat around and got their **** packed for 4 quarters in the biggest game of their careers without someone stepping up.

I'm tired of high character guys with glass vaginas. This is football. We need more nasty.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm getting more frustrated by it. Gameday I was stunned and alcohol somewhat eased the pain. Yesterday I was down. I'm getting increasingly angry as a result of Sherman's and Fox's comments though.

I might have to tune out sports for awhile and focus on other things.

I hear ya buddy. As a fan it's hard to tune out the Broncos. Even in the offseason I always eagerly await the next season. I always look forward to the draft, preseason and then the very first game. Carol running his mouth only pours salt on an open wound. Sucks man....I was just a kid when the 49ers beat us badly but I remember it mainly being their offense that shredded us. Seattle beat us in every phase, every way possible they beat us.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
I disagree on trading for Suh, but couldn't agree more that this team could use a few Romanowskis. The Broncos teams of the 90s wouldn't have sat around and got their **** packed for 4 quarters in the biggest game of their careers without someone stepping up.

I'm tired of high character guys with glass vaginas. This is football. We need more nasty.

Agreed. Atwater would have knocked someones head off. Neil Smith was also a badass as well as Trevor Pryce. Those defenses in the 90's were really underrated.

Romo was my favorite player on defense. I loved when he would make fun of the other teams offense. I remember him smacking his helmet with his hand when a WR would drop a pass. He really could get in the heads of offenses and would provoke them. Like someone said in another thread, Romo was a dick but he was our dick.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Agreed. Atwater would have knocked someones head off. Neil Smith was also a badass as well as Trevor Pryce. Those defenses in the 90's were really underrated.

Romo was my favorite player on defense. Like someone said in another thread. Romo was a dick but he was our dick.

No one like a dick….

...unless he's on your favorite team!!

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
They did what they wanted and we pretty much let them, despite the record this still feels like a losing season. I'd rather have been 12-4 and lost in the divisional or championship round of the playoffs, at least the 'what the hells' would have been less disgusting then this. You don't go to Angelina Jolie's suite if she invited you up for some one on one time and not be able to keep it up! You get the one if a lifetime chance, sometimes once in a lifetime (ask Champ Bailey) and to not be able to even seem relevant?

I totally agree. I can't believe I am saying this but I wish they hadn't made it.

broken12
02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
If u think suh would not be an upgrade over Vick u are crazy, with the 31 pick in the draft its harder to find those impact type players, we could use linebackers and some safety help, on offense bigger left guard or more athletic right tackle and move Franklin over and Clark to rt

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Not too shabby.

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
If u think suh would not be an upgrade over Vick u are crazy, with the 31 pick in the draft its harder to find those impact type players, we could use linebackers and some safety help, on offense bigger left guard or more athletic right tackle and move Franklin over and Clark to rt

What exactly would we trade for Suh? This isn't Madden.

broken12
02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
I would trade a 1st .....granted, this is very unlikely but we need a couple of guys like that, miller can be that at times....also I believe our safeties should just hit the truck out of receivers and get the officials use to us doing that like seattle has.....

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I would trade a 1st .....granted, this is very unlikely but we need a couple of guys like that, miller can be that at times....also I believe our safeties should just hit the truck out of receivers and get the officials use to us doing that like seattle has.....

No team would be stupid enough to trade a star DT in his prime for the 31st pick.

broken12
02-04-2014, 07:41 PM

No team would be stupid enough to trade a star DT in his prime for the 31st pick.
I really don't think we will trade or attempt to trade for suh, but we need pa player like that.......now is that whitner, that would work

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2014, 07:42 PM

I am just going to go ahead and quote this. For truth.

Northman
02-04-2014, 07:48 PM
3rd Q starts kick the ball and boom KR4TD.

Yea, that is when i just laughed out loud because i knew it just wasnt going to be our day.

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Yea, that is when i just laughed out loud because i knew it just wasnt going to be our day.

Same for me. Even down 22-0 at the half I thought we still had a chance to make some halftime adjustments and get back into the game. But after that TD, I knew it was over.

I think we all underestimated the impact that Harvin would have on this game. It's almost like he was an afterthought as he barely played all season, but he sure as hell was an x-factor in the game.

Joel
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
We need a guy who played most of his career on 'roids, went into business MAKING them when he retired, grabbed an opposing RBs finger at the bottom of a pile and deliberately snapped it "like a chicken bone" (his words) because the refs couldn't see it, and lost a personal injury suit after he ended a TEAMMATES career by punching his eyesocket in to fragments in PRACTICE. Oh, and we need a guy who deliberately stomps his cleats into opponents while they're lying on the ground AFTER a play.

Thanks so much, Seattle, for cementing the NFLs already long and growing "Just win, baby," tradition. Somewhere right now Al Davis is looking up on us all and smiling. The NFL's become so nobly glorious; we'll beat Seattle next time, because now they've shown us all it takes is to be the toughest team, by any means necessary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk

Anyone else find it amusing a guy who coaches his whole juiced team to take cheap shots has too much "character" to say "shit" instead of "crud"? :tongue:

turftoad
02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Same for me. Even down 22-0 at the half I thought we still had a chance to make some halftime adjustments and get back into the game. But after that TD, I knew it was over.

I think we all underestimated the impact that Harvin would have on this game. It's almost like he was an afterthought as he barely played all season, but he sure as hell was an x-factor in the game.

My thoughts exactly.

atwater27
02-04-2014, 10:59 PM

For me it was the first play, the safety. We've all hear that song before. Watched 3 horrendous Super Bowl defeats in the 80's. That safety I knew in my heart we would lose. You don't give a young monster defense a safety seconds into a game. Might as well have given them a speedball right into their heart, it infused an already confident bunch with superhuman ego enhancer.

Joel
02-04-2014, 11:33 PM
For me it was the first play, the safety. We've all hear that song before. Watched 3 horrendous Super Bowl defeats in the 80's. That safety I knew in my heart we would lose. You don't give a young monster defense a safety seconds into a game. Might as well have given them a speedball right into their heart, it infused an already confident bunch with superhuman ego enhancer.
Pretty sure that was Seattles pregame warmup before leaving the locker room; the safety just clinched it. ;)

Hawgdriver
02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Anyone else find it amusing a guy who coaches his whole juiced team ...

Are you asserting that Seattle is a juiced team?

Joel
02-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Are you asserting that Seattle is a juiced team?http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320419/article/richard-sherman-on-peds-guys-have-to-be-accountable
That's what 7 drug suspensions in 3 years (and nearly as many more they talked their way out of) strongly suggest, yes. As noted in another thread, it's an athletic axiom that one can be fast OR strong, but only the most exceptional can be BOTH; look it all the Hell raised about Von Miller "slowing way down" by adding just TEN pounds! Yet, not just one or two players, but Seattles WHOLE DEFENSE is faster AND stronger than the whole NFL. Everyone who covers them has marveled at it all year: How can so many guys be so much faster AND stronger than everyone else?

Not only that, but if they're all such exceptional HoF quality specimens, why did 32 NFL teams pass them over 5 or 6 times, or NOT EVEN DRAFT THEM AT ALL?! They're the second youngest SB team ever, too, so it's not like they've spent a decade channeling resentment over that into tireless training and practice: They went from rejects to All Pros in just 3 years.

Oh, and 7 of them got suspended for doping along the way, with 4-5 more suspended until they explained the postiive test to NFL satisfaction. My favorite is still Sherman telling the NFL he only tested positive for Adderall because he accidentally grabbed the water bottle of a teammate who had a prescription and had crushed a pill in it. The NFL allows Adderall by subscription, but bans its GAME use by anyone; no word on the anonymous teammates suspension status.

Hell, yes, I'm asserting Seattle's a juiced team; halfway through the season (when I thought our SB chances slim) I hoped SOMEONE stopped Seattle just so we don't send ANOTHER generation of adolescent athletes the message destroying their bodies with drugs will not only get them to the Super Bowl, but is the ONLY way to make a pro roster when EVERYONE'S juicing.

It's so bad their team mantra this season was "Seahawks 24/7," a reminder to each of them not to get any more drug suspensions. So Browner got a suspension and Thurmond took his spot, then Thurmond got a suspension and Browner took his spot, then Browner got a suspension just about the time Thurmond's ended. Apparently that was #3, because he's out all of next year, which probably ends his career: No one wants a 31 year old CB with three strikes. He still retires with a Ring; hopefully Champ can retire with a Ring someday, too.

I dunno, when we've got all the positive drug tests and one of their star players as much as admits they're juicing, I'm not sure what's left to assert. I just don't know why it's tolerated.

I did find Shermans "everyone ELSE needs to take some personal responsibility" line priceless though; he's got a great future in politics.

Hawgdriver
02-05-2014, 02:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320419/article/richard-sherman-on-peds-guys-have-to-be-accountable
That's what 7 drug suspensions in 3 years (and nearly as many more they talked their way out of) strongly suggest, yes. As noted in another thread, it's an athletic axiom that one can be fast OR strong, but only the most exceptional can be BOTH; look it all the Hell raised about Von Miller "slowing way down" by adding just TEN pounds! Yet, not just one or two players, but Seattles WHOLE DEFENSE is faster AND stronger than the whole NFL. Everyone who covers them has marveled at it all year: How can so many guys be so much faster AND stronger than everyone else?

Not only that, but if they're all such exceptional HoF quality specimens, why did 32 NFL teams pass them over 5 or 6 times, or NOT EVEN DRAFT THEM AT ALL?! They're the second youngest SB team ever, too, so it's not like they've spent a decade channeling resentment over that into tireless training and practice: They went from rejects to All Pros in just 3 years.

Oh, and 7 of them got suspended for doping along the way, with 4-5 more suspended until they explained the postiive test to NFL satisfaction. My favorite is still Sherman telling the NFL he only tested positive for Adderall because he accidentally grabbed the water bottle of a teammate who had a prescription and had crushed a pill in it. The NFL allows Adderall by subscription, but bans its GAME use by anyone; no word on the anonymous teammates suspension status.

Hell, yes, I'm asserting Seattle's a juiced team; halfway through the season (when I thought our SB chances slim) I hoped SOMEONE stopped Seattle just so we don't send ANOTHER generation of adolescent athletes the message destroying their bodies with drugs will not only get them to the Super Bowl, but is the ONLY way to make a pro roster when EVERYONE'S juicing.

It's so bad their team mantra this season was "Seahawks 24/7," a reminder to each of them not to get any more drug suspensions. So Browner got a suspension and Thurmond took his spot, then Thurmond got a suspension and Browner took his spot, then Browner got a suspension just about the time Thurmond's ended. Apparently that was #3, because he's out all of next year, which probably ends his career: No one wants a 31 year old CB with three strikes. He still retires with a Ring; hopefully Champ can retire with a Ring someday, too.

I dunno, when we've got all the positive drug tests and one of their star players as much as admits they're juicing, I'm not sure what's left to assert. I just don't know why it's tolerated.

I did find Shermans "everyone ELSE needs to take some personal responsibility" line priceless though; he's got a great future in politics.

So juiced = Adderall?

Joel
02-05-2014, 02:35 AM
So juiced = Adderall?
According to the NFL, yeah, though not just that. Sherman says half the NFL's on it and the league should lift the ban on it—not that HE'S on it, mind; it was all just a mistake. ;)
http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_2014_pete_carroll_addresses_drug_suspen sions_with_seahawks.html
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/100145/seahawks-lead-in-ped-bans-under-carroll
Apparently one of Seattles PED offenders was John Moffitt; yet another reason I'm glad he's off our roster, and wish he'd never been on it.

Stupid question: The Shawne Merriman Rule bans players from the honorary meaningless Pro Bowl if they test positive at ANY point in the season—so why not the Super Bowl, which means substantially more than the Pro Bowl? Have your careers first positive test, in preseason: No Pro Bowl, but after your 4 game suspension you can still help your team win the next 12, make the playoffs and earn your Super Bowl Ring. Because after 4 weeks all the performance enhancement is, like, totally gone. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, recreational drugs are between them, their coach and the law; they're not cheating anyone but themselves, and no 10 year old kid is sitting around thinking, I wanna become a heroin addict so I can have the shakes too bad to catch a TD pass, too! Juicing's COMPLETELY different, because they're cheating all their competitors—including competitors for roster spots, and when it's rampant that tells aspiring young athletes destroying their bodies like everyone else is their only hope to make the pros.

With PEDs the rule should be: First positive test, you're done for the year. When the drugs and their effects are out of your system and you're back on a level playing field, THEN you can play.

Dzone
02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Seattle acts like they never won a sports title. Hey they won 2 WNBA titles! Thats huge. Seattle, they are spoiled

Robert3750
02-05-2014, 11:13 AM
They did what they wanted and we pretty much let them, despite the record this still feels like a losing season. I'd rather have been 12-4 and lost in the divisional or championship round of the playoffs, at least the 'what the hells' would have been less disgusting then this. You don't go to Angelina Jolie's suite if she invited you up for some one on one time and not be able to keep it up! You get the one if a lifetime chance, sometimes once in a lifetime (ask Champ Bailey) and to not be able to even seem relevant?I disagree, because not playing against Seattle would have never shown people what this team really needs to win the Super Bowl against the likes of Seattle.

artie_dale
02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I was over it by the 3rd quarter. It's way easier for me to get over blowout losses than games like against Baltimore where we lose on a hail mary. Seattle was just the better team and there was nothing we could do about it. No shame in that. Just gotta regroup and try to put a better, more physical team on the field next season.

I have a harder time getting over this last game than that Baltimore game. The only thing that lingers from the Baltimore loss is "we might have been able to go all the way that season", versus this last game. This last game, just left an emptiness in me. Nothing about that game was good. Nothing I can talk good about from that game. Nothing good came out of that game. At least in the Baltimore game, it was close and even went into double OT. But it was fricken cold and Fox was still too conservative.

topscribe
02-05-2014, 11:54 AM
The Seahawks spent all season being a physical football team and they weren’t about to run away from what got them to the Super Bowl when it came time to face the Broncos.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll appeared with “Brock and Danny” on 710 ESPN Seattle on Tuesday and said that the Seahawks emphasized the need to “outhit” the Broncos during the two weeks leading up to the game. A big hit by safety Kam Chancellor on Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas on the first Denver completion of the game showed the message hit home.

“We really made the decision early to stay with what we know really well and demonstrate to our guys that we believe in them and trust them,” Carroll said. “Let’s play the way we want to play. The more we looked at it, the more excited we got about it. We really felt like we could knock the crud out of these guys.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/04/carroll-we-really-felt-like-we-could-knock-the-crud-out-of-broncos/
What a humiliating thing that would be for me to hear, were I part of the roster.

I hope Carroll's words resonate throughout the locker room and stick in their craws
all winter. If they have any pride at all, it will mean something, come spring.

Joel
02-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I have a harder time getting over this last game than that Baltimore game. The only thing that lingers from the Baltimore loss is "we might have been able to go all the way that season", versus this last game. This last game, just left an emptiness in me. Nothing about that game was good. Nothing I can talk good about from that game. Nothing good came out of that game. At least in the Baltimore game, it was close and even went into double OT. But it was fricken cold and Fox was still too conservative.
This post goes so well with the one above it though. In addition to last years DOT loss that handed our best shot at a SB in 15 years to an over-the-hill shell of a Ravens team, we lost 3 more close games this year, one of those again in OT. The first two had me tearing my hair out over the stupid crap we pulled, but instead plucking themselves bald also, our coaches informed us the problems were "correctable" both times. Same with a few close wins against crap teams like the Jags and 'Skins.

Correctable is all well and good IF it's corrected, but the SECOND time I hear "correctable" I think of the old line about a mistake becoming an error when one refuses to correct it.

Well, this one wasn't a close loss, in regulation, OT or even DOT: It was a freakin' BEATDOWN from the kickoff (seriously done with Holliday: You do NOT run out a SB kickoff that deep.) Hopefully our coaches finally got the message that there's a fundamental problem here that can't be tweaked with a few extra wind sprints or practicing a couple plays a couple more times.

Hopefully we finally GOT it; too bad it wasn't after (or better, before) the Ravens game. Or Indy game. Or NE game. As with the last two, taking so long makes me wonder HOW long it'll take.

Joel
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
'Cause, y'know, it was "more than a feeling." :tsk:

What a humiliating thing that would be for me to hear, were I part of the roster.

I hope Carroll's words resonate throughout the locker room and stick in their craws
all winter. If they have any pride at all, it will mean something, come spring.
That's something that keeps sticking out to me also: We hear all the time about Manning and Brady (or at least Belicheat) studying film and finding individual matchups to exploit, gameplanning to beat this team one way and that team another, and how Belichick loves to "take away the thing you do best."

You never hear that about Seattle: They built a SOLID team across the board for the style to which their suited, with offense complementing D and vice versa. Matchups and gameplans are smart, but only AUGMENT greatness, not CREATE it. When an average teams tries those smoke and mirrors against a great team, you get what happened Sunday: All of a sudden historys greatest offense is trying to avoid historys first SB shutout. Seattle does what they do, and DARES opponents to take it away, just like Lombardi did. This year, they got the same results.

Dzone
02-05-2014, 05:02 PM
I disagree, because not playing against Seattle would have never shown people what this team really needs to win the Super Bowl against the likes of Seattle.
A new coach?