PDA

View Full Version : Obviously, Smash Mouth Defenses can finish and win a championship...

artie_dale
02-04-2014, 02:13 AM
but, is there such a thing as a Smash Mouth offense in a system like Denver's or New England's (productive offense w/ great pocket QB)?

I'm just curious because while I love having a high scoring offense that can pick a part most defenses, what Seattle did to us... it looked like a top NFL defense against a Division III College Offense. It was embarrassing. I even had friends who were KC & Oak fans who felt sorry for us Bronco fans for how ugly that attempt was.

Anywho... I love our team in pretty much all the aspects, but wtf more can we do on our offense. Even with our injured OL, our offense blasted teams. Is Clady & Kopper the missing links? Is there such a thing as a "physical receiving corps"? Demaryius Thomas showed me something in that game. He showed me that though he can get pounded over and over, he is still willing to stick around and fight. Makes me want a Brandon Marshall or an Alshon Jeffery opposite of Demaryius.

I was happy with our defense overall. There was nothing they can do after the game was out of reach (at halftime). All the pressure was off of Seattle and our defense is who had to make the game last.

I'm just baffled how the highest scoring offense in NFL history (easiest schedule or not) was pretty much shut out on the biggest stage. Man handled and out physicaled is what I keep hearing.

Joel
02-04-2014, 02:29 AM
One of the guys calling that game was a great pocket QB with a highly productive offense: Because his line pancaked people on runs and practiced judo in the offseason so he wasn't sacked.

Take them away and what do you get? A double-concussed 3 time SB winner choking back tears as he announces retirement after he gets cut (because Jerry's an a--hole.)

sneakers
02-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Yeah except when the broncos have the #1 defense in the NFL, they lose the superbowl 55-10

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 02:56 AM
Yeah except when the broncos have the #1 defense in the NFL, they lose the superbowl 55-10

It's the orange jerseys.

artie_dale
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
The worst part about this game is, there is zero good/positive that any of us fans can reflect on or talk about. Nothing. No "it was close", no "at least it was a good game", no "we almost came back", NOTHING.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 10:26 AM
The worst part about this game is, there is zero good/positive that any of us fans can reflect on or talk about. Nothing. No "it was close", no "at least it was a good game", no "we almost came back", NOTHING.

We set some Super Bowl records, most completions by Manning and most receptions by Thomas. I know it's not much but it's something.

artie_dale
02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
We set some Super Bowl records, most completions by Manning and most receptions by Thomas. I know it's not much but it's something.

I am aware of those records but both were a non-factor in the game. The Broncos were a non-factor in the Super Bowl. I don't mean to sound like Negative Nancy...

Was it the crowd noise? I think the best argument is the team just wasn't mentally ready. But, the opposite and can't really be denied is the team just got beat to shiz.

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

That also took place prior to the salary cap and SF was a LOADED team

Lancane
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
If Denver doesn't fix this defense, having a top flight offense won't make a bit of difference. Yeah, we can outscore most opponents, but faced with the schedule we have next year which includes the NFCW, Indianapolis, New England and seeing the improvement in the AFCW? Denver doesn't need to have the number one defense, but a defense in the top ten would be wise or at least in the top fifteen and the only reason we were 23rd is because we were better at stopping the run, otherwise we would have been lower due to our piss poor pass defense.

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
What did people think of SF smashmouth defense last year?

Lancane
02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
What did people think of SF smashmouth defense last year?

They only lost to Seattle by a score...to bad the top offense, the record setting offense couldn't say the same in the biggest game of the year and on the biggest stage. Instead it was the most lopsided Super Bowl of the modern era...so what do I think? I think we should be hiring our next defensive coordinator from their staff to be honest.

BroncoNut
02-04-2014, 01:22 PM

and the where do we go from here is a bit open ended.

chazoe60
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
The NFL needs to pull it's head out its ass where Pass Interference is concerned. I am in no way saying this is why we lost, we lost because we got our ass kicked by a superior team.

However, the NFL needs to put a stop to this NBA like approach of allowing some teams to get away with things based on reputation. I am lumping us into that category as well because, just like NE, we are allowed to get away with a shit ton of pick plays. But what the NFL lets Seattle and SF get away with from DPI perspective is insane.

Either go back to the rules as they were when I was growing up, which is the rule set that Sea and SF are seemingly allowed to play under, or enforce the new rules as written.

Nomad
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
I liked the way Seattle played defense and more teams should learn rather than calling for refs to bail receivers out. BRONCOS got punched in the mouth and went into the fetal position. Toughen up, BRONCOS.

chazoe60
02-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I liked the way Seattle played defense and more teams should learn rather than calling for refs to bail receivers out. BRONCOS got punched in the mouth and went into Tate fetal position. Toughen up, BRONCOS.

I agree but the problem is that most teams aren't allowed to play like that. Sea and SF get away with murder on WRs.

They get called a lot too I understand that, but I think Sea just says "whatever, the won't call us on every play so we're going to do it every play"

I just wish PI would go back to the way it was called when I was a kid. Right now it is the biggest thing wrong with the NFL IMHO. It completely alters games and is so subjective it's sickening.

artie_dale
02-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I read this today. Not "hand signals" as someone else shared. But reading his eyes before the ball was snapped. Peyton didn't use many hand signals and couldn't audible at all because of the crowd noise. But, if the Defense were reading his eyes, it makes so much more sense because they were relentless and in on nearly every pass that the pass rush didn't directly effect.

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_25055920/hochman-pain-from-broncos-loss-could-have-real

But really, the game MVP was Dan Quinn. Wait, who? He is Seattle's defensive coordinator, who not only developed a historic defense with many overlooked low draft picks but also admitted he found a flaw in Denver's offense, a mole on Mona Lisa. After the game, Quinn and some Seahawks told The Newark Star-Ledger that quarterback Peyton Manning often reveals where he'll throw the ball with his eyes. As explained by the vicious Kam Chancellor, Seattle's fifth-round safety: "It just allowed us to see the routes develop. We were able to jump a few routes. Just see everything that develops in front of you, playing off Peyton's eyes. He takes you right to the ball every time. He's a great quarterback, but he definitely has tendencies and he takes you to the ball.

Read more: Hochman: Pain from Broncos' loss could have real staying power - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_25055920/hochman-pain-from-broncos-loss-could-have-real#ixzz2sO8aWPHM
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 05:46 PM
I too even had oakland friends saying they were sorry and felt bad. Listen when you have friends telling you that who are not Broncos fans then you know it was ugly.

Dont think ill ever get over this until we win one again. That might be a very long time because the way this current team is I just dont see it happening anytime soon.