PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's AFC Champ will be...

OrangeHoof
02-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Next Year's AFC Champ will be...

BroncoWave
02-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Um, you left Indy off that poll? Other than Denver, that's probably the team I would pick.

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
I still think we're the best team in the AFC. We just need to tweak somethings. We could always hit a roadblock however. With the way the NFC is I feel we have a better chance to make it back than Seattle does.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Denver Broncos, duh.

OrangeHoof
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Um, you left Indy off that poll? Other than Denver, that's probably the team I would pick.

You're right. I should have. But you can include them as "other" if you wish.

tomjonesrocks
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Depends entirely on the draft and FA.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:22 PM
After that showing I went with the NFC option, especially if we're keeping this coaching staff intact.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Not being biased at all here but I still think Denver can get back again.

The problem is if either Seattle or SF are there we will lose again unless we shake something up on defense.

Hard to give an answer though because there is still the FA period and draft to go through. NE is going to get better, Indy is going to get better and I think teams like CIncy and KC are right in the mix. Bad news is the AFCW is playing the NFCW next year. Good news is everyone in our division also has to play them. We will have a tough schedule next year, very tough. NE is still going to be the team to beat in the AFC.

However, I really don't see anyone beating Seattle. Maybe SF at home but I think Seattle go easily put up another 13-3 record and get back. Are we really ready for that??? Is anyone in the AFC ready for that??

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 10:31 PM
After that showing I went with the NFC option, especially if we're keeping this coaching staff intact.

Our Special teams coach and DB coach need to take a hike. I really don't care if they go.

Also, thank you Champ, Woodyard and Knowshon for the memories but we have more pressing needs.

Joel
02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Not being biased at all here but I still think Denver can get back again.

The problem is if either Seattle or SF are there we will lose again unless we shake something up on defense.

Hard to give an answer though because there is still the FA period and draft to go through. NE is going to get better, Indy is going to get better and I think teams like CIncy and KC are right in the mix. Bad news is the AFCW is playing the NFCW next year. Good news is everyone in our division also has to play them. We will have a tough schedule next year, very tough. NE is still going to be the team to beat in the AFC.

However, I really don't see anyone beating Seattle. Maybe SF at home but I think Seattle go easily put up another 13-3 record and get back. Are we really ready for that??? Is anyone in the AFC ready for that??
Our defense didn't lose the SB. Percy Harvin was the games leading rusher with <50 yds on just TWO carries, for Petes sake. And that was with HALF our defensive starters out for the year.

Our record-setting offenses first half possessions went:

1) Snap through the end zone for a safety on the first scrimmage play,
2) Three-and-out,
3) Three-and-Int
4) Pick-six

Then Seattle ran the second half kickoff back for a TD: 29-0, game over. Apart from that the D gave up all of 2 TDs; if the offense shows up I'm pretty sure we don't lose a game holding ANYONE to 17 pts. Seattle had one big play after the safety, and that got them in scoring range, but the D made the stop and held them to a FG. After the three-and-out, again the D held them to a FG. Even when we gave them the ball on our own 37 with a pick and sent our D right back out there before it was halfway through the first cup of gatorade, they almost made a third straight stop.

Even then it was only 15-0 and the offense had a chance to climb back in, go down for a TD to make it a one score game again, because our D kept us in it through one of the worst first halfs in SB history. Unfortunately, Seattles D pushed our line around all night long, and on that occasion it resulted in a pick-six. Worst part of all that? The OFFENSE was only missing ONE starter, and it wasn't on the right side or at LG where Seattle blew us up all game. We MUST fix that to win a SB. And we must do it FAST.

Poet
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Cincinnati. We're trading for Aaron Rodgers, bitches.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Our defense didn't lose the SB. Percy Harvin was the games leading rusher with <50 yds on just TWO carries, for Petes sake. And that was with HALF our defensive starters out for the year.

2) Three-and-out,
3) Three-and-Int
4) Pick-six

Then Seattle ran the second half kickoff back for a TD: 29-0, game over. Apart from that the D gave up all of 2 TDs; if the offense shows up I'm pretty sure we don't lose a game holding ANYONE to 17 pts. Seattle had one big play after the safety, and that got them in scoring range, but the D made the stop and held them to a FG. After the three-and-out, again the D held them to a FG. Even when we gave them the ball on our own 37 with a pick and sent our D right back out there before it was halfway through the first cup of gatorade, they almost made a third straight stop.

Even then it was only 15-0 and the offense had a chance to climb back in, go down for a TD to make it a one score game again, because our D kept us in it through one of the worst first halfs in SB history. Unfortunately, Seattles D pushed our line around all night long, and on that occasion it resulted in a pick-six. Worst part of all that? The OFFENSE was only missing ONE starter, and it wasn't on the right side or at LG where Seattle blew us up all game. We MUST fix that to win a SB. And we must do it FAST.

We let them convert 3rd down after 3rd down in the second half.

aberdien
02-04-2014, 12:19 AM

It was 29-0 by that point.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
And none of those AFC teams are going to win the SB unless they get a defense.

Go ask Pitt how they won.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 12:27 AM
I wanted to add this.

Last year when Balt won I said no way in hell they repeat. They sort of lucked their way in.

This year I am saying no way in hell Seattle doesn't. I just don't see anyone knocking them off. 43-8 guys....come on now. It was like grown ass men playing football with toddlers.

Joel
02-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Yet they only got 14 pts out of it. Hell, did they even get THAT much? I was pretty drunk by then, but know we kept piling up the turnovers, so how many (more) short fields did we give them?

It's irrelevant regardless though, because after the second half kickoff the game was over: 29-0 and the only time we didn't turn the ball over was a three-and-out punt. Our defense held strong when it mattered; that's why all those turnovers only left us down 5, then 8, and finally 15 pts after we made our patchwork D play the whole first quarter and half of the second. Oh, gee, they gave up yards in the second half; what can we expect of a D missing HALF its starters and forced to play a SB winner virtually non-stop for an entire game?

It's a credit to our D that they only gave up 14 pts when they were giving up all those third downs at half strength and running on fumes. Yet if they'd given up NONE we'd still have lost 29-8 after our explosive offense blew up on the launch pad and burned throughout the first half.

Knighton and Vickerson are solid DTs, and, when forced to start after Vickersons injury, 1st round rookie Sylvester Williams acquitted himself well.
Phillips played the run and pass well all year, as did Jackson, and Wolfe when healthy, while Ayers remains solid if unspectacular.
Miller, Woodyard and Trevathan are still good fast LBs, though they do need big powerful DTs to give them clear shots, and I admit I'd like a true Mike rather than converted Will.
Harris and DRC are both excellent starting CBs, Champ still has the speed to smother slot men (since they rarely go deep) and Webster learned a lot the hard way his rookie year.
Ihenachos second year justified picking him up, and Champ might be even better starting alongside him than in the slot (in which case Carter would be an adequate dimeback/sub.)

So, OK, I still want the do-it-all defensive QB at Mike I've been screaming for since the end of 2005, but otherwise our D has good personnel once healthy, even good depth if Moore returns.

Our elite offense though... losing ONE guy was enough to make them THAT helpless? Had it been any other team that would've been comical. No one can tell me Clady made that big a difference; Clady doesn't play the right side where Franklin got blown up, and even when he is playing he's too busy doing his own job to try and do Beadles'. We lost that game because Seattles front seven played like our STARTING offensive line wasn't even there, which it effectively wasn't. "Fixing" the D won't fix that.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
02-04-2014, 12:30 AM
The Broncos.

I see nobody else in the AFC that is better than us at this point. Obviously, FA could change that but we'll see.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 12:31 AM

2) Three-and-out,
3) Three-and-Int
4) Pick-six

Joel, I don't think just our defense lost us this game. 8 points is awfull, just awfull. Please tell me NE wouldnt have put up more.

We got beat mentally
We got out coached
We lost on defense
We lost on offense
We lost on special teams
We lost fan base vs fan base on a neutral site. The first snap should be evidence. Broncos fans didnt even show up.
Heck we lost the coin toss!

And you want to know what else. The weather was perfect football weather. No excuses, Seattle was better.

Yeah they just beat us all around.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
The Broncos.

I see nobody else in the AFC that is better than us at this point. Obviously, FA could change that but we'll see.

I feel the same way. I'm worried that they could be emotionally and mentally spent though. Losing in this fashion hurts. We have the talent to bounce back but I'm not so sure it happens.

Joel
02-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Joel, I don't think just our defense lost us this game. 8 points is awfull, just awfull. Please tell me NE wouldnt have put up more.

We got beat mentally
We got out coached
We lost on defense
We lost on offense
We lost on special teams
We lost fan base vs fan base on a neutral site. The first snap should be evidence. Broncos fans didnt even show up.
Heck we lost the coin toss!

And you want to know what else. The weather was perfect football weather. No excuses, Seattle was better.

Yeah they just beat us all around.
All I could think about were the people who kept insisting Seattle was a paper tiger who only LOOKED good because they had such a "weak" schedule playing the NFLs best division twice, plus NO, Carolina and Indy. That crappy Seahawks team pasted us. That said, considering how much we demanded of a defense missing half its starters, they played amazingly well. If the offense had done it's "we only play one half per game" thing that probably would've been enough; instead they didn't play EITHER half. So we got pasted.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 01:08 AM
All I could think about were the people who kept insisting Seattle was a paper tiger who only LOOKED good because they had such a "weak" schedule playing the NFLs best division twice, plus NO, Carolina and Indy. That crappy Seahawks team pasted us. That said, considering how much we demanded of a defense missing half its starters, they played amazingly well. If the offense had done it's "we only play one half per game" thing that probably would've been enough; instead they didn't play EITHER half. So we got pasted.

You can count me guilty of being that guy. I had no clue we could only put up 8 points with an offense like this against a defense like that. I never dreamed it would be a rout either way. I had us winning this game but by maybe a field goal.

After the game yeah we were outclassed in all phases. After the game we really see that Seattle is the mold for what a defense SHOULD be. How can we debate that defense doesn't win championships anymore?

We got smoked!!!

sneakers
02-04-2014, 05:14 AM
I wanted to add this.

Last year when Balt won I said no way in hell they repeat. They sort of lucked their way in.

This year I am saying no way in hell Seattle doesn't. I just don't see anyone knocking them off. 43-8 guys....come on now. It was like grown ass men playing football with toddlers.

The Seabaggers play an actual 1st place schedule next year!

7DnBrnc53
02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I think the Broncos should repeat.

On another forum I go on, a lot of them are picking NE, but they are a team of the past. Who knows if Gronk will be back next year, and Wilfork will find it harder to come back with his ACL at 33. They should win the LameFC East, but they will be a first round exit.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Vegas seems to like us too. Not that it matters but they have us anywhere from 11-2 to 8-1 to win the Super Bowl as well as being the clear favorite in the AFC.