PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi: Would Manning Consider Contract Restructuring?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-03-2014, 09:15 PM
DENVER (CBS4) – The Broncos season is over, and the team’s front office now has a lot of free agent decisions to make.

The next couple of months of negotiations and deals will be vital for next season, CBS4′s Vic Lombardi said on the morning after the team’s devastating 43-8 loss to the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII. He told his radio show co-hosts on 104.3 The Fan that the Broncos were at a clear disadvantage in many of the matchups.

“Seattle had power, speed, physicality and depth. They were fast. You don’t realize how much so until you see it up close,” said Lombardi, who was on the sidelines during the game.

AND

“He makes more in a week than Russell Wilson makes in a year,” Lombardi said.

rest, plus video
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/03/lombardi-would-manning-consider-contract-restructuring/

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Please oh please. Make it a signing bonus so he still makes the same amount but less is held against the cap. We need to keep Moreno. I'm not so sure about Decker though.

Tned
02-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Which also means that you can't go out and get a Sherman or Wilson for $600k a year, you have to get lucky, or good, in the draft.

We were nearly $7 million under the cap last year. Clearly Manning's salary wasn't the problem last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 09:33 PM
We were nearly $7 million under the cap last year. Clearly Manning's salary wasn't the problem last year.

Yup. People really forget this. Even AFTER his signing they were $25 mil under the cap.

If your GM can't contend with $105 million, he should be fired. That's why it's not that dire of a situation to have a $20 million quarterback. You gamble on it, because he's more important than anyone.

Northman
02-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Great, sign Decker back.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Great, sign Decker back.

I would be in favor of that.

Just hope his balls drop by this time next season.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:12 AM
And when is the last time we have seen Manning take a pay cut? Like never?

And how do we even ask the league record setting MVP who helped get us to the SB to take a pay cut?

I guess if there was a way that he could get the same money but not count against the cap? Like a cash bonus? Not sure how that would even legally work.

And the total cap should be around 127 mill. I would make other changes first before asking MVP players.

Tned
02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
And when is the last time we have seen Manning take a pay cut? Like never?

And how do we even ask the league record setting MVP who helped get us to the SB to take a pay cut?

I guess if there was a way that he could get the same money but not count against the cap? Like a cash bonus? Not sure how that would even legally work.

And the total cap should be around 127 mill. I would make other changes first before asking MVP players.

If it was a straight paycut, the players union would go ballistic and probably even file a grievance trying to block it. If you convert it to bonus, the only way you can do that is to spread it out over at least the next three years, and that means if he doesn't play those three (or more if the bonus spread more) years, then the Broncos will have tens of millions in dead money when he retires.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Well then lets rob Peter to pay Paul if that's what it takes to win now.

If it's a year or two of dead money then I could deal with that if we have Brock taking over. We won't be expecting Brock to be as good out of the gate. Maybe we will be pleasantly suprised, who knows, but Id like to win now. 2 more years is the window I think, at least with #18.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 08:31 AM
If it was a straight paycut, the players union would go ballistic and probably even file a grievance trying to block it. If you convert it to bonus, the only way you can do that is to spread it out over at least the next three years, and that means if he doesn't play those three (or more if the bonus spread more) years, then the Broncos will have tens of millions in dead money when he retires.

He still has 3 more years on his contract right. I could see that happing if he intends to play them out. Favre played until that age. I don't see Manning's numbers dropping off like Favre's though. He's arguably the best QB in the NFL at the age of 37. Even at the age of 40 I can still see him being top 10.

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Let's tie up a bunch of money to our cap for the next 5 years so we can overpay a #2 receiver. Great idea.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Let's tie up a bunch of money to our cap for the next 5 years so we can overpay a #2 receiver. Great idea.

No just 1 or 2 years and who said just Decker? Phillips, Decker, Moreno, DRC and Harris Jr all need new deals.

Northman
02-04-2014, 08:40 AM

I knew you would be on board.

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 08:42 AM
No just 1 or 2 years and who said just Decker? Phillips, Decker, Moreno, DRC and Harris Jr all need new deals.

If Manning restructures to extend his payout over another 2 years it ties us to him for 5 years. Remember...he's only going into the 3rd year of a 5 year deal. So if it happens, it only saves us about 9 mil a year. Give that to Decker and then we're back in the same boat. Manning restructuring will not pay all of those guys. And even if it did...how have we gotten better?

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 08:42 AM
I knew you would be on board.

Convince Decker to play for Welker's money and I'm on board all day long.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Convince Decker to play for Welker's money and I'm on board all day long.

He's quoted as saying he wants to stay in Denver. Maybe he takes a very team friendly deal to catch passes from a first ballot HOFer and a chance at a championship. Either that or can take $9 Million to go play for someone like the Jags.

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
He's quoted as saying he wants to stay in Denver. Maybe he takes a very team friendly deal to catch passes from a first ballot HOFer and a chance at a championship. Either that or can take $9 Million to go play for someone like the Jags.

Agree 100%

tomjonesrocks
02-04-2014, 10:33 AM

I could see him getting both by going to NE.

Dzone
02-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Whats up with this talk this morning on the radio how Decker would be a great pick up for Bellichek. Decker a Patriot.

CrazyHorse
02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
So basically we swapped a young Decker for an old concussion prone Welker?

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 11:56 AM
If I had to bet on it...I see Decker ending up with the Steelers.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Whats up with this talk this morning on the radio how Decker would be a great pick up for Bellichek. Decker a Patriot.

I was thinking that too. Thats very possible.