PDA

View Full Version : If you were GM

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 08:20 PM
What changes would you make this off season?

I'd like to hear. I'll post mine later.

Tned
02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Upgrade RT. Sine have mentioned Franklin to LG and Clark to RT. However it's fine, we need an upgrade.

If at all possible, re-sign DRC. If not possible, then we need to sign another high level CB. Re-sign Harris, but since he's coming off injury and we need nickel/dime depth, draft or pickup FA CB. (If Champ is back as CB, and Harris is healthy, then we are probably good of DRC resigned)

Upgrade S if the opportunity presents itself (could be Champ at safety with nacho).

However it's done, the major upgrades needed are pass rush and pass coverage. As they are so tightly tied together, it's possible coverage could be improved just by upgrading the pass rush, or vice versa.

As good as Philips has been, I think we need someone opposite Miller to draw double teams, or take advantage of when teams slide coverage Miller's side. It's possible M. Jackson can grow into that or Q. Smith, but if possible we need a stud end.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

atwater27
02-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Defense, defense defense. The world saw the importance of passrushers and safeties last night. The Giants beat Brady twice in the bowl by defensive line passrushers. We need defensive ends and safeties and a corner. and a MLB. shuffle the O-line a bit, increase depth. Hate to say it, but Elway needs to think about whether to keep our OC. or go in a new direction with a more dynamic offense/gameplanning guy. Fight fire with fire. defensive lineman all the way. Monstrous, passrushing defensive lineman. We already have Von Miller, but he will be useless half the season. PASS RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tned
02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Defense, defense defense. The world saw the importance of passrushers and safeties last night. The Giants beat Brady twice in the bowl by defensive line passrushers. We need defensive ends and safeties and a corner. and a MLB. shuffle the O-line a bit, increase depth. Hate to say it, but Elway needs to think about whether to keep our OC. or go in a new direction with a more dynamic offense/gameplanning guy. Fight fire with fire. defensive lineman all the way. Monstrous, passrushing defensive lineman. We already have Von Miller, but he will be useless half the season. PASS RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm right with you on defense, but in case you slept through the season, this offense broke nearly every meaningful single season offensive record.

topscribe
02-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Just get the guys we have healthy. Shoot, five (5) of the defensive positions
were being played by backups against a healthy Seattle team. And they dearly
missed Clady.

Once they get a healthy Von back, they will have a pass rush. Phillips is good,
but he can't do it alone. Denver has a good defensive backfield. But the lack of
a consistent pass rush will make any backfield look bad.

I would look hard for a MLB, a hard-nosed, fast player.

Whatever it takes, re-sign DRC. Even overpay him if you have to (but don't let
him know you're willing to do that, lol). Really good CBs don't grow on trees.
And if they can keep him, Harris, and Champ together, they'll have a very good
corps.

Try out Franklin at LG, and if he proves out good there -- and I think he will --
move Clark over to RT. Clark is a so-so LT, but I think he might be a very good
RT. Looking across at Clady, Franklin, Ramirez, Vasquez, and Clark, just imagine
the size of that line.

Look for a good #2 receiver. That's right, jettison Decker. He's played soft all
year, and I don't see any signs that he's going to toughen up. DT is getting the
message, and JT is already there. But I doubt Decker will.

Although I'm not fond of anyone interfering with the HC, I would sit down with
Fox and let him know that I don't like the game of Fox Ball -- especially with
one Peyton Manning at the controls. Of all the disgusting moments in the game,
the worst, IMO, was when they punted from the opponent's 39 yardline, while
29 points down in the second half. That isn't the first time Fox has displayed
that kind of decision-making. We can go clear back to the Baltimore playoff
game last year.

Fire the receivers coach and hire a nose-bleeder, one who will teach smash-
mouth ball. The Broncos have big, I mean really big, receivers out there. Why
are they getting bullied? That, IMO, is a coaching deficiency.

I can think of a lot more, but that would be a start.

atwater27
02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm right with you on defense, but in case you slept through the season, this offense broke nearly every meaningful single season offensive record.

And was totally and absolutely rendered worthless in the game that mattered most. I like our talent and I like our core on offense. I think Manning wins in SPITE of the offensive playcalling and gameplanning. We need something more inspired than Rich Gannon style dink and dunk. Especially when that totally played in to Seattle's strength.

BroncoWave
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM
And was totally and absolutely rendered worthless in the game that mattered most. I like our talent and I like our core on offense. I think Manning wins in SPITE of the offensive playcalling and gameplanning. We need something more inspired than Rich Gannon style dink and dunk. Especially when that totally played in to Seattle's strength.

As opposed to what? Try to throw it downfield and give Seattle's pass rushers time to get to Manning? Our offensive strategy was absolutely the right one, and the one that worked for us all season. Seattle just had the talent to stop anything we could have done.

To suggest getting rid of Gase is laughable.

topscribe
02-03-2014, 09:32 PM
As opposed to what? Try to throw it downfield and give Seattle's pass rushers time to get to Manning? Our offensive strategy was absolutely the right one, and the one that worked for us all season. Seattle just had the talent to stop anything we could have done.

To suggest getting rid of Gase is laughable.
Seattle would have slowed the Broncos' offense down, but they would not have
stopped them, were it not for an avalanche of errors and TOs. Give the Hawks
credit: they are good, very good. But the Broncos beat themselves on the
offensive side, IMO.

BroncoWave
02-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Seattle would have slowed the Broncos' offense down, but they would not have
stopped them, were it not for an avalanche of errors and TOs. Give the Hawks
credit: they are good, very good. But the Broncos beat themselves on the
offensive side, IMO.

Agreed, but I have a hard time pinning it on Gase. Not his fault that Manning threw a bad pick, Franklin whiffed a block on his second pick, and DT got stripped after his big catch.

It would have been silly to drastically change the offense that set records and got us to the Super Bowl. Seattle just had the players to stop it and they did just that. Sometimes you have to just tip your hat to the other team for doing a great job.

AngMunoz1987
02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
How to win football games...
-Win the line of scrimmage.
-Win on 3rd down.
-Win the turnover battle.
That being said we need to Reinforce the O & D LINES. Also get some guys in the secondary that can and are not afraid to tackle.
- Move Franklin to LG n Clark to RT
- Sign Pass Rushers: Jared Allen or Justin Tuck might be past their prime but r leaders with Attitudes that we so badly need
- Move up to mid 1st round n Draft MLB Mosley or FS Ha Ha Clinton Dix.
- I'd only resign Decker n DRC if price is right. They both have flaws but we r better off with them.
- peanut Tillman would be a dream FA signing. Leader of Men. We don't have one.
- We need Safeties so bad. One to cover the field and a hard hitting safety. D Whitner, J Byrd, TJ Ward will fit just fine.
-Restructure Champ contract or cut him.
-Most of all beg Peyton Manning to restructure his contract n make his cap # around $14mil or we are screwed.

tomjonesrocks
02-03-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure it matters. Denver's best shot was year before last when they had a healthy defense. Now they have squandered this opportunity away with possibly the worst performance in a SB ever. Defensively depleted or not that was an unfathomable performance.

Next year? It's impossible to envision Manning being as good. Time doesn't stand still. The only chance left I think is for the team to carry him there and don't ask him to do so much--the way Elway won his SBs.

Which means a vastly improved power running game and an actual defense. Improve both lines, hit huge in the draft on an RB to replace Knowshon and find a safety.

Even then I don't see it. Seattle's saying they had Denver's simple gameplan figured out and were jumping routes all day. Our coaches aren't SB material, and Denver won't have the balls to make a change there.

It's over with this group, IMO. They'll probably go 10-6 next season with a divisional exit and it will be rebuilding time.

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 09:46 PM
I agree with most of this.

On offense see if Manning can restructure and take most of the money in a signing bonus to free up cap space. I think we should try to keep Moreno. Let Beadles walk and Decker test free agency. I'd like to see a burner who can stretch the field opposite of DT. This would open up the running game. I'd like to see if Franklin can play guard and move Clark to RT. It makes sense to play your five best linemen. Other than that keep our offensive nucleus intact.

On defense Champ might be gone unless he takes a pay cut. Maybe move him to safety if he'll consider it. We need to sign DRC and draft or sign a CB 2 to play opposite him so Harris can move back to nickel. Moore should be back next year so if Champ plays SS we would be okay. He's much better in run support anyway. As far as the line is concerned bring back one of Ayers or Philips. I'd like to see what Q. Smith and McCray have. Hopefully Wolfe is back too. I actually feel more comfortable about our DE's than our DT's. We need another than can provide interior pressure that can be rotated with Sly and Pot Roast. At the LB level Trevathan at Will, and Miller at Sam is good. I think Woodyard is gone. Hopefully Lenon too. Irving might be able to play Mike but I'd feel more confident drafting a stud MLB.

As far as special teams if we draft a speedy WR this would give us an alternate to Holliday.

atwater27
02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

To suggest getting rid of Gase is laughable.Oh your passive aggressive condescension is charming yet nauseating. Our playcalling and coaching on offense was stale, old, played out, highly predictable. Might be Fox, might be Gase. They got outcoached BADLY in this game, regardless of the player's efforts. Like I said before and I will say again and again, Manning and his ginormous brain finds a way to overcome coaching mistakes/ineptitude. Most of the time. I want a dynamic coach that understands that Seattle has studied the film and knows every freaking play Denver does by heart, and create a gameplan that allows a 55 TD throwing meistro to not all the sudden look like Ryan Tannehill.

Tned
02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Just get the guys we have healthy. Shoot, five (5) of the defensive positions
were being played by backups against a healthy Seattle team. And they dearly
missed Clady.

Once they get a healthy Von back, they will have a pass rush. Phillips is good,
but he can't do it alone. Denver has a good defensive backfield. But the lack of
a consistent pass rush will make any backfield look bad.

I would look hard for a MLB, a hard-nosed, fast player.

Whatever it takes, re-sign DRC. Even overpay him if you have to (but don't let
him know you're willing to do that, lol). Really good CBs don't grow on trees.
And if they can keep him, Harris, and Champ together, they'll have a very good
corps.

Try out Franklin at LG, and if he proves out good there -- and I think he will --
move Clark over to RT. Clark is a so-so LT, but I think he might be a very good
RT. Looking across at Clady, Franklin, Ramirez, Vasquez, and Clark, just imagine
the size of that line.

Look for a good #2 receiver. That's right, jettison Decker. He's played soft all
year, and I don't see any signs that he's going to toughen up. DT is getting the
message, and JT is already there. But I doubt Decker will.

Although I'm not fond of anyone interfering with the HC, I would sit down with
Fox and let him know that I don't like the game of Fox Ball -- especially with
one Peyton Manning at the controls. Of all the disgusting moments in the game,
the worst, IMO, was when they punted from the opponent's 39 yardline, while
29 points down in the second half. That isn't the first time Fox has displayed
that kind of decision-making. We can go clear back to the Baltimore playoff
game last year.

Fire the receivers coach and hire a nose-bleeder, one who will teach smash-
mouth ball. The Broncos have big, I mean really big, receivers out there. Why
are they getting bullied? That, IMO, is a coaching deficiency.

I can think of a lot more, but that would be a start.

Hey Top, I agree with most of this. So, I won't bother pointing out the agreement, but instead a couple things I see a little different.

On Decker, I think he brings a lot to the table. He's big and fast, and having a big, fast WR opposite DT makes DT even better. He has some downsides, such as his ability to be ankle tackled by grass or his own feet, and especially in the first half of the season, was too focused on trying to get a flag when facing a physical DB rather than using his size to be just as physical. That said, while I think he is a very important part of the offense, I think he is going to get near top dollar receiver money (not elite, but next level number one WR dollars) and I don't think the Broncos can afford to pay him that $8-10 million a year, so he's almost certainly gone.

I fully agree that we need a WR coach that will work with our DBs and teach them (especially DT, JT and Decker if he's back) how to play physically and use their size to their advantage. The Indy game was a great example, those DBs got a little handsy, and our guys turned into little whiners calling for flags, rather than using their size and manhandling the DBs.

BroncoWave
02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Oh your passive aggressive condescension is charming yet nauseating. Our playcalling and coaching on offense was stale, old, played out, highly predictable. Might be Fox, might be Gase. They got outcoached BADLY in this game, regardless of the player's efforts. Like I said before and I will say again and again, Manning and his ginormous brain finds a way to overcome coaching mistakes/ineptitude. Most of the time. I want a dynamic coach that understands that Seattle has studied the film and knows every freaking play Denver does by heart, and create a gameplan that allows a 55 TD throwing meistro to not all the sudden look like Ryan Tannehill.

Manning actually wasn't terrible last night if you really look at his numbers. He completed a high percentage of his passes. Our receivers just weren't getting open and the o-line wasn't giving him time. What are he and Gase supposed to to about that?

Lancane
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Realistically...

I'd fire Jack Del Rio and hire Ted Monachino to replace him as the Defensive Coordinator, I'd also be switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 obviously since I hired Monachino. I would also inform the offensive line staff that the Broncos are returning to the zone blocking scheme. Then I would release Champ Bailey and Chris Kuper therein freeing up about 11.5 million, I'd also ask Manning to restructure his current deal and take about 5 million less. That with the money that will be available from free agents leaving would give breathing room so that I could re-sign Rodgers-Cromartie to a long-term deal. I would try and re-sign Decker, but alas unless it was reasonable I'd let him go to free agency and pursue another free agent to replace him. As for Moreno, unless he is willing to play for around the same as what he was making then I'd part ways with him also. As Tned and others have mentioned, it would probably be best to kick Franklin to left guard to replace Beadles and move Clark to right tackle next to Vasquez. Regarding Chris Harris due to his restricted free agency status I would let him test free agency hoping to net an additional pick. And as to Free Agency, I would mostly add through the draft, though admittedly I would target T.J Ward and Perry Riley.

Tned
02-03-2014, 09:55 PM
I agree with most of this.

On offense see if Manning can restructure and take most of the money in a signing bonus to free up cap space. I think we should try to keep Moreno. Let Beadles walk and Decker test free agency. I'd like to see a burner who can stretch the field opposite of DT. This would open up the running game. I'd like to see if Franklin can play guard and move Clark to RT. It makes sense to play your five best linemen. Other than that keep our offensive nucleus intact.

On defense Champ might be gone unless he takes a pay cut. Maybe move him to safety if he'll consider it. We need to sign DRC and draft or sign a CB 2 to play opposite him so Harris can move back to nickel. Moore should be back next year so if Champ plays SS we would be okay. He's much better in run support anyway. As far as the line is concerned bring back one of Ayers or Philips. I'd like to see what Q. Smith and McCray have. Hopefully Wolfe is back too. I actually feel more comfortable about our DE's than our DT's. We need another than can provide interior pressure that can be rotated with Sly and Pot Roast. At the LB level Trevathan at Will, and Miller at Sam is good. I think Woodyard is gone. Hopefully Lenon too. Irving might be able to play Mike but I'd feel more confident drafting a stud MLB.

As far as special teams if we draft a speedy WR this would give us an alternate to Holliday.

Pretty hard to convert Manning's money to a signing bonus at his age and with only three years left on the contract, unless both he and Broncos signed a farce five year contract, just too push cap hit into future years. Maybe he would be willing to do it, and even if the Broncos told him they wouldn't make a claim on the signing bonus if he retired after '14, then all the Broncos would be doing is spreading the money out over three or even five years, and having tens of millions of dead money counting against the cap for years after he retired.

Sorry, for all use guys focused on Manning's salary as the problem, the only relief would be if Manning was simply willing to take a pay cut for the "good of the team."

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Manning actually wasn't terrible last night if you really look at his numbers. He completed a high percentage of his passes. Our receivers just weren't getting open and the o-line wasn't giving him time. What are he and Gase supposed to to about that?

Get Clady back, shuffle the O-line, and get a speedster to play outside opposite of DT.

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Realistically...

I'd fire Jack Del Rio and hire Ted Monachino to replace him as the Defensive Coordinator, I'd also be switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 obviously since I hired Monachino. I would also inform the offensive line staff that the Broncos are returning to the zone blocking scheme. Then I would release Champ Bailey and Chris Kuper therein freeing up about 11.5 million, I'd also ask Manning to restructure his current deal and take about 5 million less. That with the money that will be available from free agents leaving would give breathing room so that I could re-sign Rodgers-Cromartie to a long-term deal. I would try and re-sign Decker, but alas unless it was reasonable I'd let him go to free agency and pursue another free agent to replace him. As for Moreno, unless he is willing to play for around the same as what he was making then I'd part ways with him also. As Tned and others have mentioned, it would probably be best to kick Franklin to left guard to replace Beadles and move Clark to right tackle next to Vasquez. Regarding Chris Harris due to his restricted free agency status I would let him test free agency hoping to net an additional pick. And as to Free Agency, I would mostly add through the draft, though admittedly I would target T.J Ward and Perry Riley.

Ok, so it sounds like with your plan, after Manning just agrees to take a $5 million pay cut of his guaranteed '14 salary, and then the team makes the other moves you mentioned, then they can feel good about themselves as they enter the '14 season $25-30 million under the cap. I bet Bowlen would like that plan, since he can keep that $30 million in his pocket, rather than spend it on his current players or FA's.

Why even both trying to strong arm Manning into a pay cut if you are going to have $20-$25 million or so dollars under the cap and unspent? Just because?

OrangeHoof
02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
From a previous thread:

A rough off-season blueprint:

1. Franchise DRC. Try to sign him to a multi-year deal that is somewhat backloaded.
2. Restructure Bailey or let him go.
3. Re-sign Phillips, Ayers, Lenon
4. Allow Moreno, Decker, Beadles, Woodyard to go in free agency.
5. Draft OL in first, LB in second, WR in third, RB in the fourth, defense after that.

Using the Mock Draft Simulator at Fansided.com, and following the formula in Step 5, I get the following:

1. OG David Yankey, Stanford
2. ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
3. WR Paul Richardson, Colorado
4. RB Marion Grice, Arizona St.
5. CB Shaquille Richardson, Arizona
6. OLB Ron Powell, Florida
7. RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford

I did not see Vickerson or Harris on the list provided here:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...me-free-agents (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24794027/broncos-16-players-about-become-free-agents)

That gives you:
Manning, Osweiler
Ball, CJ, Grice, Hillman, Gaffney
DT, Welker, P. Richardson, etc
JT, Tamme, Green
Clady, Clark, Franklin, Vasquez, Ramirez, Yankey, etc
Ayers, Phillips, Knighton, Vickerson (?), Wolfe (?), Williams, etc
Miller, Lenon, Travathan, Skov, Powell, etc.
DRC, Harris, Moore, Ienacho, Carter, S. Richardson, Bailey (?), etc.
Colquitt, Prater

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
From a previous thread:

A rough off-season blueprint:

1. Franchise DRC. Try to sign him to a multi-year deal that is somewhat backloaded.
2. Restructure Bailey or let him go.
3. Re-sign Phillips, Ayers, Lenon
4. Allow Moreno, Decker, Beadles, Woodyard to go in free agency.
5. Draft OL in first, LB in second, WR in third, RB in the fourth, defense after that.

Using the Mock Draft Simulator at Fansided.com, and following the formula in Step 5, I get the following:

1. OG David Yankey, Stanford
2. ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
3. WR Paul Richardson, Colorado
4. RB Marion Grice, Arizona St.
5. CB Shaquille Richardson, Arizona
6. OLB Ron Powell, Florida
7. RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford

I did not see Vickerson or Harris on the list provided here:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...me-free-agents (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24794027/broncos-16-players-about-become-free-agents)

That gives you:
Manning, Osweiler
Ball, CJ, Grice, Hillman, Gaffney
DT, Welker, P. Richardson, etc
JT, Tamme, Green
Clady, Clark, Franklin, Vasquez, Ramirez, Yankey, etc
Ayers, Phillips, Knighton, Vickerson (?), Wolfe (?), Williams, etc
Miller, Lenon, Travathan, Skov, Powell, etc.
DRC, Harris, Moore, Ienacho, Carter, S. Richardson, Bailey (?), etc.
Colquitt, Prater

I'd like to keep Moreno if possible. I think we need help at safety too. I'm not sure if Bailey is the answer there.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I think next season is the last chance for Fox/Manning to win a SB.

The team as a whole needs to get tougher and more physical. That is the biggest reason why we lost on the field. Too soft. And unable to adjust. However that gets done it needs to get done or else I expect a similar disappointment next season. Hopefully the team realizes that the window of opportunity is almost gone and decides to do what it takes to win one.

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM

The team as a whole needs to get tougher and more physical. That is the biggest reason why we lost on the field. Too soft. And unable to adjust. However that gets done it needs to get done or else I expect a similar disappointment next season. Hopefully the team realizes that the window of opportunity is almost gone and decides to do what it takes to win one.

I don't think Manning is going to pull a Favre anytime soon. He doesn't get hit a lot so I could see tow more years, maybe even three to play his contract out. His play might drop off but I think he'll still be one of the better QB's in the league.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Ok, so it sounds like with your plan, after Manning just agrees to take a $5 million pay cut of his guaranteed '14 salary, and then the team makes the other moves you mentioned, then they can feel good about themselves as they enter the '14 season $25-30 million under the cap. I bet Bowlen would like that plan, since he can keep that $30 million in his pocket, rather than spend it on his current players or FA's.

Why even both trying to strong arm Manning into a pay cut if you are going to have $20-$25 million or so dollars under the cap and unspent? Just because?

Restructuring Manning's deal isn't strong arming him Tned, but under the current deal with Manning, Denver will have 22 mil in dead money, restructuring will only help the team seeing as the contract between the Broncos and Manning is avoidable only when Manning decides to call it quits and has to be before the official start of the new season otherwise he is due the full amount for that year. 17.5 million will count against the cap, he'd only be alleviating it to a different year without the dead money windfall and allow the Broncos more freedom to keep a competitive team.

tomjonesrocks
02-03-2014, 10:14 PM

You must be joking. He was under tremendous pressure--but many today have argued very effectively that was Manning's worst game as a professional.

He played poorly just like almost everyone else.

TimHippo
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM

Yup. This is the last chance with Manning w/ or w/o Fox next year.

BroncoWave
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
You must be joking. He was under tremendous pressure--but many today have argued very effectively that was Manning's worst game as a professional.

He played poorly just like almost everyone else.

He played about as well as the o-line and WRs allowed him to IMO. What more could he have done exactly? I'll admit his first pick was a bad pas, but that's pretty much the only bad decision he made.

I saw this as more of a great game by Seattle's D than a bad one by Manning.

Dzone
02-03-2014, 10:18 PM
TD said Denver needs to start putting a fullback in the backfield...

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Restructuring Manning's deal isn't strong arming him Tned, but under the current deal with Manning, Denver will have 22 mil in dead money, restructuring will only help the team seeing as the contract between the Broncos and Manning is avoidable only when Manning decides to call it quits and has to be before the official start of the new season otherwise he is due the full amount for that year. 17.5 million will count against the cap, he'd only be alleviating it to a different year without the dead money windfall and allow the Broncos more freedom to keep a competitive team.

Whoa.

First, what $22 million in dead money are you talking about?

Second, as I said, under your plan for which players to keep/jettison, and building through the draft vs. free agency, there is no need for any extra cash, because you just described a plan that would have the Broncos playing the '14 season $20 million or so under the cap.

Nomad
02-03-2014, 10:20 PM
TD said Denver needs to start putting a fullback in the backfield...

Ive been saying that all season, but people tell me they are outdated and not needed in this offense.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
The problem with Peyton is that he is one dimensional and if his gameplan gets out of sync, that's pretty much it. I don't put all the blame on him because he had little time to pass and when he did he had receivers who were getting manhandled by the Seahawks d-backs. I think he played well and his stats show that, but he made a crucial mistake on the misthrow that was his first pick, and he showed that he was unable to mentally come up with anything to throw at the Seahawks defense. He isn't mobile, so that was automatically a bad thing if the oline coudn't block, but I didn't account for him being mentally outmatched. That is a concern, but none of the offense was prepared to change the gameplan it seemed. They tried doing the same old shit, and Seattle was ready for it, and we had no response for them.

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Ive been saying that all season, but people tell me they are outdated and not needed in this offense.

It's a different style of offense.

Ok, so you run a FB, and I assume a RB with him, so that means you are sitting at 8 players. That means either Welker, Decker or Julius Thomas are off the field. Do you really think that adding a FB with any regularity in a shotgun based offense that features arguably one of the the best receiving corps in the NFL, and as a result, sitting either J. Thomas or Welker (you need to keep your primary WR's on the field most of the time), makes sense?

For the style offense the Broncos are running, with the offensive weapons they have, a fullback doesn't make sense.

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:28 PM
The problem with Peyton is that he is one dimensional and if his gameplan gets out of sync, that's pretty much it.

Wow, dumbfounded. You just described him pretty much opposite of how he's been described his entire career, not to mention this season, where he shattered pretty much all the key offensive records.

Jsteve01
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I know he's extremely eccentric but as recently as a week ago Rodgers-Cromartie was discussing possibly retiring. Now of course that was anticipating going out on top, but he mentioned feeling like he'd accomplished a lot just by making it 5 years in the league. Even if resigned we can't count on him long term. I think Kayvon Webster will make some strides next years so we should have decent depth.

I'm torn as to what to do with Wood. he was playing really well early in the season and his fire and leadership are invaluable. If you can keep Vickerson, Pot Roast and Wolfe healthy then he could potentially return to form. If he doesn't have big nasties to keep him clean, he can be rendered very ineffective.

I let Decker walk unless it's an extremely cap friendly deal. I'm in total agreement with top about our WR coach, there is no reason in the world why big, strong athletes like Thomas, Decker, and Thomas should struggle so much with press. That's pure want to and technique. Beadle's walks, Franklin to LG, Clark to RT. draft a swing tackle and a big nasty guard in the mid rounds.

I'm beating a dead hillman here but we totally screwed the pooch by picking him over Turbin 2 years ago. So we need to find a big athletic back with upside this year to spell Ball. I loved Moreno this year but unless he signs a cap friendly deal, I let him go. i agreed with a lot lan had to say but there is no way I let Harris walk, sure let him test the market but I'm not settling for a pick to replace the guy who played more snaps than any other Bronco on this defense.

Champ moves to safety or he's gone. I hate to say it but he just can't cover anymore. He was beaten deep and on intermediate routes last night. Peanut Tillman would be an interesting signing. I also like the idea of a Tuck or Allen opposite miller after we let my guy Ayers walk.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow, dumbfounded. You just described him pretty much opposite of how he's been described his entire career, not to mention this season, where he shattered pretty much all the key offensive records.

That's how you become the second-winningest quarterback ever. By being one dimensional.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Whoa.

First, what $22 million in dead money are you talking about?

Second, as I said, under your plan for which players to keep/jettison, and building through the draft vs. free agency, there is no need for any extra cash, because you just described a plan that would have the Broncos playing the '14 season $20 million or so under the cap.

Peyton Manning's contract is according to many about 40 mil for 2014, only 17.5 mil against the available cap 22.5 mil is dead money, the largest sum over the course of his contract with the Broncos give the 40 million this past season.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/peyton-manning/

I had the Broncos resigning Rodgers-Cromartie, we could tag him and pay him huge for only one season but that would be a waste of resources unless needed. I also had Denver going after Ward and Riley, Ward is one of the top safeties in the league and will demand top dollar, while Riley slumped he'll still be worth more then Woodyard/Lenon combined. Yes, I said we would focus on the draft for most needs, but then again we also focused on the draft and had to sign a couple defensive ends, linebackers, safeties due to various issues. I would say between Ward, Rodgers-Cromartie and Riley, the Broncos would spend about 13 million for this season alone, that leaves about 7 mil according to your numbers for depth, etc.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Well, for starters I'd take about two or three weeks and chill in Aspen. Then I'd go to the combine and find the biggest, baddest mofo linebacker I can find and get cozy with him.

Then I'd re-sign Rodgers-Cromartie, Moreno and a couple of other veterans. I'd then look for a key free agent (see: Manning, Vasquez, Rodgers-Cromartie).

Then I would PWN the draft with a middle linebacker, a speed back and a big wide receiver to replace Decker.

Boom. Championship.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Shattering key offensive records really has nothing to do with anything that i'm talking about. My blame is mostly on the OC, which I assume is a combo of Gase and Manning, and they definitely were not prepared for the Seahawks defense. Peyton got out of sync and wasn't able to play his game, which is getting rid of the ball quick and throwing quick passes with lotsa YAC. And that was that. We haven't seen the team in such a dire state of domination this season until the SB, but Peyton was unable to play his game and there was seemingly nothing else in the bag. His game is based on timing, and when he didn't have the time to throw, combined with handfuls of other factors that I think were beyond Peyton's control, the defense wins. That's what I mean when I say Peyton is 1D. He had no time to throw, the receivers lacked physicality, and the offensive performance was bad.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Peyton Manning's contract is according to many about 40 mil for 2014, only 17.5 mil against the available cap 22.5 mil is dead money, the largest sum over the course of his contract with the Broncos give the 40 million this past season.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/peyton-manning/

I had the Broncos resigning Rodgers-Cromartie, we could tag him and pay him huge for only one season but that would be a waste of resources unless needed. I also had Denver going after Ward and Riley, Ward is one of the top safeties in the league and will demand top dollar, while Riley slumped he'll still be worth more then Woodyard/Lenon combined. Yes, I said we would focus on the draft for most needs, but then again we also focused on the draft and had to sign a couple defensive ends, linebackers, safeties due to various issues. I would say between Ward, Rodgers-Cromartie and Riley, the Broncos would spend about 13 million for this season alone, that leaves about 7 mil according to your numbers for depth, etc.

How can Manning account for dead money when he's on the team?

I believe that only applies if he isn't on the roster next year, and that has stipulations too.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Not sure what Mannings contract has to do with the actual cap SPACE available.

If we need to create room then I suggest to read Cecil Lammeys evaluation on our cap and how we can create room. I forget the article but you might have to scroll a few pages.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:44 PM

I believe that only applies if he isn't on the roster next year, and that has stipulations too.

Not sure Mo, I am too tired right now...lol. I think I miss-matched the numbers using his dead money as what the team had in dead money, maybe? Who the hell knows. I know Manning will only count 17.5 million against the available cap, it jumps to 21.5 in 2015 and 2016.

Jsteve01
02-03-2014, 10:45 PM
I know it's easy for me to say, but after watching Elway and Jordan restructure mutiple times to with championships why is it inconceivable to think Manning might be willing to as well. 5 million dollars is another Cromartie signing, or Vickerson, Pot Roast, and Lenon this year.

tomjonesrocks
02-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Didn't DRC walk that retirement BS back? Sounded later like it was an "I'm getting a long term deal next time" type of comment.

Additionally he said he might retire if Denver won.

There was never a chance of that, so--he's playing somewhere it sounds like.

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM

You are misunderstanding what you are reading. Completely. It is only "dead" in the sense that his '13/'14 salaries were guaranteed when the Broncos exercised their option on years two and three after the end of his first year. You are confusing this "dead money" (because the site has labeled their column poorly) with the type of dead money we typically talk about, such as the $4.5 million or so in 'dead' money that the Broncos had to count this year for a player not on the team (Doom).

The only way that Manning money would be "dead" is if the Broncos decided to cut Manning. They would still owe him his '14 salary (and a few small roster bonuses and such) and the money would become dead money.

His contract is NOT $40 million for '14 (you are adding those two columns, and you shouldn't -- that's a declining value that started at $40 million in '13). Instead, his salary, and roster bonuses are $17.5 million (guaranteed) for '14, and his cap number is $20 million, because the Broncos also have to count $2.5 million of his prorated signing bonus.

No, the Broncos, after your cuts, Manning pay cut and non re-signings, would have around $30 million, probably closer to $35 million left under the cap, after signing their rookie class. So, after spending that $13 million or so on those three guys, the Broncos will still need to figure out where to spend the other $22 million or so.

I posted a link to an article by Lammey who broke down the Broncos salary cap situation. You might want to check it out, along with the previous one he had written on the subject.

Jsteve01
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916617-breaking-down-the-denver-broncos-2014-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spent

lammey's article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24422045/broncos-cb-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-pondering-retirement

article on Rodger's-Cromartie's potential retirement.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I know it's easy for me to say, but after watching Elway and Jordan restructure mutiple times to with championships why is it inconceivable to think Manning might be willing to as well. 5 million dollars is another Cromartie signing, or Vickerson, Pot Roast, and Lenon this year.

That is my take on it as well, even if the Broncos are not exceedingly strapped with unusable dead money, 12.5 million for the season will not break his lifestyle, he was guaranteed 58 million under the original contract and will still receive the total of that should he walk away in 2015 voiding the two final years.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916617-breaking-down-the-denver-broncos-2014-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spent

lammey's article

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24422045/broncos-cb-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-pondering-retirement

article on Rodger's-Cromartie's potential retirement.

Rodgers said today he's going to play next year.

Joel
02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
As many people have frequently noted, I'm not, so it doesn't matter. ;)

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:51 PM

He doesn't. The site he was looking at was basically showing a hypothetical dead amount, I guess assuming the player was cut or injured. So, in the case of Manning, it showed $40 million in dead money last year, because that was when years two and three became guaranteed. Then, for '14, it showed $22.5 "dead" which again, would have been the amount left in his guarantee if Manning was cut before '14, because it was guaranteed.

Anyway, as you know, there is no Manning dead money counting against the cap, because Manning is still on the team. Unlike say a Doom, who isn't on the team, but we are still counting part of his salary/bonus.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
You are misunderstanding what you are reading. Completely. It is only "dead" in the sense that his '13/'14 salaries were guaranteed when the Broncos exercised their option on years two and three after the end of his first year. You are confusing this "dead money" (because the site has labeled their column poorly) with the type of dead money we typically talk about, such as the $4.5 million or so in 'dead' money that the Broncos had to count this year for a player not on the team (Doom).

The only way that Manning money would be "dead" is if the Broncos decided to cut Manning. They would still owe him his '14 salary (and a few small roster bonuses and such) and the money would become dead money.

His contract is NOT $40 million for '14 (you are adding those two columns, and you shouldn't -- that's a declining value that started at $40 million in '13). Instead, his salary, and roster bonuses are $17.5 million (guaranteed) for '14, and his cap number is $20 million, because the Broncos also have to count $2.5 million of his prorated signing bonus.

No, the Broncos, after your cuts, Manning pay cut and non re-signings, would have around $30 million, probably closer to $35 million left under the cap, after signing their rookie class. So, after spending that $13 million or so on those three guys, the Broncos will still need to figure out where to spend the other $22 million or so.

I posted a link to an article by Lammey who broke down the Broncos salary cap situation. You might want to check it out, along with the previous one he had written on the subject.

I think you're right T, obviously I am so tired that I am starting to get mentally befuddled from this. Been a long two days emotionally, you know? Just draining and atop that simply agitated by it all.

ShaneFalco
02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Ask manning, champ to restructure to save money for some added defensive depth.

Trade Rahim for J Byrd. With an added pick. Buf wants to alleviate themselves of paying him. With some saved money from restructuring we could.

Draft all defense pass rush and man coverage cbs, along with some early o linemen. Pref a backup guard /center.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Trade Rahim for J Bird. With an added pick. Buf wants to alleviate themselves of paying him. With some saved money from restructuring we could.

Draft all defense pass rush and man coverage cbs, along with some early o linemen. Pref a backup guard /center.

How many draft picks do you think we have? Just a question.

Tned
02-03-2014, 10:54 PM
That is my take on it as well, even if the Broncos are not exceedingly strapped with unusable dead money, 12.5 million for the season will not break his lifestyle, he was guaranteed 58 million under the original contract and will still receive the total of that should he walk away in 2015 voiding the two final years.

Yes, and I'm sure you remember, the Broncos got fined about two million dollars and lost two third round picks (two separate instances) for the renegotiating the Broncos did with Elway and TD in the mid to late 90's. Elway didn't just take pay cuts, he let the Broncos defer his money, in a guaranteed way, even if he was retired (or something like that) and Davis did the same, and the team got hammered for that.

ShaneFalco
02-03-2014, 10:58 PM
How many draft picks do you think we have? Just a question.

we have 6 this year right?

enough to rid ourselves of Ayers and get a DE, or two, along with a man CB, and a backup guard/center.

however this draft has a deep OL depth. I havnt heard much about great pass rushers this draft besides Clowney.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes, and I'm sure you remember, the Broncos got fined about two million dollars and lost two third round picks (two separate instances) for the renegotiating the Broncos did with Elway and TD in the mid to late 90's. Elway didn't just take pay cuts, he let the Broncos defer his money, in a guaranteed way, even if he was retired (or something like that) and Davis did the same, and the team got hammered for that.

I thought it was because they exceeded the spending cap during those seasons, not because they renegotiated those contracts.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I thought it was because they exceeded the spending cap during those seasons, not because they renegotiated those contracts.

No, the penalties were for deferring guaranteed money.

Tned
02-03-2014, 11:03 PM
I think you're right T, obviously I am so tired that I am starting to get mentally befuddled from this. Been a long two days emotionally, you know? Just draining and atop that simply agitated by it all.

That site is confusing and lists the dead money in a dumb way. I've never seen it presented that way. If I wasn't already pretty intimately familiar with Manning's contract (based on what's in the public domain), I would have been totally confused myself.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 11:03 PM

enough to rid ourselves of Ayers and get a DE, or two, along with a man CB, and a backup guard/center.

however this draft has a deep OL depth. I havnt heard much about great pass rushers this draft besides Clowney.

Part of the reason I would have Denver move to the 3-4 is because personnel wise we are better suited to be a 3-4 team without having to nab players to fill key positions. Either way, Denver will need to draft an inside linebacker, defensive backs and defensive end or two and likely a better center.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 11:05 PM
No, the penalties were for deferring guaranteed money.

That sucks, damn. Oh well, not that important Mo, even by following the rest of what I said and according to Tned the Broncos would have cap space, so no big deal.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Trade Rahim for J Byrd. With an added pick. Buf wants to alleviate themselves of paying him. With some saved money from restructuring we could.

Umm If you are talking about Jairus Byrd then I think he's an URFA. Unless they did a new deal.

MOtorboat
02-03-2014, 11:07 PM
That sucks, damn. Oh well, not that important Mo, even by following the rest of what I said and according to Tned the Broncos would have cap space, so no big deal.

I think Denver has more cap room than the board thinks...

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Seems like we move from the 4-3 to the 3-4 back to the 4-3.....and now what, we move back to the 3-4?

We

have

no

true

MLB

our

safeties

suck!!!!

Tned
02-03-2014, 11:12 PM

Basically, the only way the Broncos really win here is Manning somehow voided his current contract and took a pay cut. The NFLPA would go absolutely ape shit and possibly file a grievance with the league and try and block him (like MLBPA when Arod wanted to take a pay cut, maybe when he was going to be traded to Yanks, been a while, fuzzy on the details). If he didn't take a paycut, then the only thing the Broncos/Manning could do, would be to guarantee years four and five, now, pay him less for those years, and give him a signing bonus or something for the "paycut" he takes this year, and then if he didn't actually play in 15 and 16 the Broncos would have a HUGE amount of real dead money.

Basically, there is likely no way we see Manning have a lower salary cap this year. I could be wrong, there are probably ways they could do it with the blessing of the NFLPA, if Manning was willing, but probably all of those ways risk tens of millions of dead money in future years.

ShaneFalco
02-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Umm If you are talking about Jairus Byrd then I think he's an URFA. Unless they did a new deal.

actually yes i think you are right.

He is a ball hawk and in my opinion something the D needs.

Joel
02-04-2014, 12:52 AM

If this draft really is deep in offensive line depth, we should jump all over that, because that's what lost the SB, not the D that was missing half its starters, forced to play practically the whole first half, and STILL only gave up a TD starting from OUR 37 and a pair of FGs. Miller rushes the passer, Phillips rushes the passer, Wolfe rushers the passer, Jackson rushes the passer; even Ayers and Knighton get in there periodically. Knighton and Vickerson are huge powerful DTs in the middle, and even as a rookie Sylvester Williams has shown he's a quality first round pick.

None of those guys run block worth a darn though, nor PROTECT the passer. Our D didn't cough it up 4 times and put us in the hole 29 pts before we even got the ball in the second half. Our D's not why we ran for just 27 yds in a whole GAME. Think about that: Most NFL starting RBs (including Moreno and Ball) had at least one run this season that gained more on one PLAY than our WHOLE TEAM IN AN ENTIRE GAME! And people think our DEFENSE was the problem? They outplayed our elite offense with half their starters missing; our offense was only down ONE guy.

So if there's good OL depth in this years draft, grab it with both hands. Replace Beadles at the very least; we don't need to pay him millions to get called for tripping in a SB and blown off the line everytime he's forced to block anyone but a safety. Guards are so undervalued even a Conference Champs picks should get a good one in a deep draft, but if people insist on trying to make an All Pro G out of a mediocre RT we'll need to replace him. Clark will never be more than a journeyman backup, while Clady's been hurt a lot and turns 28 next year.

ShaneFalco
02-04-2014, 01:06 AM
see i dont know about beadles, He is a great pull guard for outside runs.

Does he come up short in pass blocking? Yes, but it only really showed versus Seattles D.

Joel
02-04-2014, 02:44 AM
see i dont know about beadles, He is a great pull guard for outside runs.

Does he come up short in pass blocking? Yes, but it only really showed versus Seattles D.
He's a better pass blocker than run blocker, IMHO. Yes, he pulls really well; when it comes to running 20 yds downfield to pancake a safety half his size, no one beats Beadles.

Sadly, that doesn't help when the RB was tackled 25 yds behind him. Beadles gives NO line surge on short/goal line runs, and never has; AT THE LINE (i.e. vs. guys his own size) he does nothing unless Ramirez helps him out with a doubleteam. Beadles opens hole INTO our backfield rather than OUT of it, and has done more in his career to get McGahee and Moreno beat up than anyone except maybe Walton. He's the poster child for Jadeds line about our guards being glorified FBs—except FBs can go past the line without getting flagged on those screens Beadles runs so well.

Beadles is a lucky man: He's mostly in space where everyone can see him on his great downfield blocks, but obscured by many other bodies on his awful blocks at the line.

sneakers
02-04-2014, 04:55 AM
What changes would you make this off season?

I'd like to hear. I'll post mine later.

quickly give my self a raise, and then find someone to do the job better than me

Northman
02-04-2014, 05:03 AM

Adjust.

Northman
02-04-2014, 05:08 AM
The problem with Peyton is that he is one dimensional and if his gameplan gets out of sync, that's pretty much it. I don't put all the blame on him because he had little time to pass and when he did he had receivers who were getting manhandled by the Seahawks d-backs. I think he played well and his stats show that, but he made a crucial mistake on the misthrow that was his first pick, and he showed that he was unable to mentally come up with anything to throw at the Seahawks defense. He isn't mobile, so that was automatically a bad thing if the oline coudn't block, but I didn't account for him being mentally outmatched. That is a concern, but none of the offense was prepared to change the gameplan it seemed. They tried doing the same old shit, and Seattle was ready for it, and we had no response for them.

Indeed. Right on the money. We made no adjustments whatsoever and played right into their hands the entire game.

BroncoJoe
02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Indeed. Right on the money. We made no adjustments whatsoever and played right into their hands the entire game.

The only thing I can think of as to why we didn't adjust was because of the flukeyness of their scores. We were actually moving the ball (save the 1st quarter) but kept making key mistakes. Of their 22 points at the half, 19 of them were from turnovers.

I don't agree with it, but it's the only logical reason I can think of.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Seems like we move from the 4-3 to the 3-4 back to the 4-3.....and now what, we move back to the 3-4?

We

have

no

true

MLB

our

safeties

suck!!!!

Did you read what I wrote DB? Denver's personnel as of this moment is better suited for a 3-4 defense, it's inarguable actually and I'll explain. As of right now, the Broncos have no true 4-3 defensive ends, those we did have are no longer under contract as of the start of the new season. That leaves Denver with Wolfe (290lbs.) and Jackson (293lbs.), while Williams, Vickerson and Knighton can easily play the middle, it could be to Williams benefit to play outside at the end position in a 3-4 because of his skillset. As for inside linebacker positions which is quite different from a true mike linebacker, Von Miller would likely flourish, Mincey and Smith both better fit the 3-4 outside linebacker mold, add in Trevathan and as I said Riley, we'd also get to see what Irving can do with more time as well and I said Denver would draft someone also. As to the whole safety issue, Moore would be returning, but I also had the Broncos targeting T.J. Ward, probably one of the toughest SOB safeties in the league right now. Add in Coach Monachino who was key to the Baltimore Raven's Championship Defense the year before and you got yourself a whole new defense, one with some grit.

No, you're right, we should stick with the 4-3, we only need a few true 4-3 defensive ends, we also need more defensive tackle depth, we need a true mike linebacker and trim the corps. a little, and rely again on cornerback and safety needs, especially since we struggle in turnovers.

Tned
02-04-2014, 01:08 PM
The only thing I can think of as to why we didn't adjust was because of the flukeyness of their scores. We were actually moving the ball (save the 1st quarter) but kept making key mistakes. Of their 22 points at the half, 19 of them were from turnovers.

I don't agree with it, but it's the only logical reason I can think of.

Exactly, just about anything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. We were stopping Lynch, but on offense, just had one key mistake after another. The defense did their job in keeping the score to only 8-0 after the safety and first turnover, but the offense just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

topscribe
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Exactly, just about anything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. We were stopping Lynch, but on offense, just had one key mistake after another. The defense did their job in keeping the score to only 8-0 after the safety and first turnover, but the offense just kept shooting themselves in the foot.
Isn't that something, that the defense outplayed the offense? Add Von Miller
for pass rush, and the defense would have been smothering.

But I believe that, as several of us have implied, the biggest problem with
the offense was that they were soft. And this makes no sense, when you
look at the sizes of the offensive line and the receivers, respectively. If I
were Fox, I think I would tell Gase, Barone, Callahan, Cooter, Tolbert, and
Magazu that I want a hard-nosed offense, or they all might be gone! The
only part of that offense that wasn't soft were the RBs, and they couldn't
do much when the O-line wasn't blocking.

DenBronx
02-04-2014, 04:18 PM

We

have

no

true

MLB

our

safeties

suck!!!!

Did you read what I wrote DB? Denver's personnel as of this moment is better suited for a 3-4 defense, it's inarguable actually and I'll explain. As of right now, the Broncos have no true 4-3 defensive ends, those we did have are no longer under contract as of the start of the new season. That leaves Denver with Wolfe (290lbs.) and Jackson (293lbs.), while Williams, Vickerson and Knighton can easily play the middle, it could be to Williams benefit to play outside at the end position in a 3-4 because of his skillset. As for inside linebacker positions which is quite different from a true mike linebacker, Von Miller would likely flourish, Mincey and Smith both better fit the 3-4 outside linebacker mold, add in Trevathan and as I said Riley, we'd also get to see what Irving can do with more time as well and I said Denver would draft someone also. As to the whole safety issue, Moore would be returning, but I also had the Broncos targeting T.J. Ward, probably one of the toughest SOB safeties in the league right now. Add in Coach Monachino who was key to the Baltimore Raven's Championship Defense the year before and you got yourself a whole new defense, one with some grit.

No, you're right, we should stick with the 4-3, we only need a few true 4-3 defensive ends, we also need more defensive tackle depth, we need a true mike linebacker and trim the corps. a little, and rely again on cornerback and safety needs, especially since we struggle in turnovers.

We are not going to switch to a 3-4.

All we need is safety help, one more CB and a true MLB.

CoachChaz
02-04-2014, 04:31 PM
We are not going to switch to a 3-4.

All we need is safety help, one more CB and a true MLB.

And a pass rusher

Slick
02-04-2014, 04:36 PM
We need some on the field leadership other than Manning. I have a feeling John will be very active in free agency. Rookies aren't going to get us over the hump.

broncohead
02-04-2014, 05:11 PM
It's obvious our defense needs help. Manning isn't going to be here forever. If we had an offense that wasn't in the top 10 we probably have a terrible record this season. We need defensive youth and talent

BroncoNut
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
If I were GEM I'd pee standing up.

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Adjust.

Exactly what adjustments would have worked? You can have the best scheme in the world, but if you are getting dominated up front, it's all for naught.

atwater27
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Exactly what adjustments would have worked? You can have the best scheme in the world, but if you are getting dominated up front, it's all for naught.

Trust me. We didn't have the best scheme in the world.

BroncoWave
02-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Trust me. We didn't have the best scheme in the world.

I'm not saying we did, but there's not some magical coaching formula that can beat any team. Sometimes the other side is just flat out better than you and there isn't much that you can do about it.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
If I were GM, I would be careful about how long I extend Fox's contract. I also would reconsider my draft philosophy. This team needs to get more value out of the early rounds and move more "nasty" guys up the board.

Next, I would look at the player evaluations. Is the coaching staff cultivating the talent from the draft to get the most out of each player's potential or are the scouts doing a poor job at spotting talent? There is a weak link in the chain somewhere.

Then, I would slash Bailey's salary for next season, talk to Wolfe/Moore to see if they'll ever play a down again, and fire the ST coordinator because I've wanted him gone all season.

spikerman
02-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Ayers - gone
Bailey - back only if at a VERY reduced price
Beadles - gone
I like the idea of moving Franklin to LG.
Decker - can't afford him
Moreno - thank you for your service, but when you couldn't chase down that LB after the pick (in fact he pulled away) that confirmed that you don't have the speed to be the every down guy.
Woody - Try to resign if the price is right
DRC - resign
Phillips - resign if the price is right.
Miller - Either drop the weight or consider moving to MLB.

Try to figure out how to make this a team with an attitude. At this point I have no idea how, but give me time.

That's how I'd start.

Lancane
02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I've changed my own a little, I would stay with Fox for one more season despite the irritation level I am at with him. But I would warn his *** that he is on a very short leash despite win-loss column. I'd still fire Jack Del Rio and hire Ted Monachino as the next Defensive Coordinator, I'd hire Rocky Seto as my Assistant Head Coach/Pass Defense Coordinator/Defensive Backs. We'd still be switching to the 3-4 instead of sticking with the 4-3. I would instill the Zone Blocking Scheme still, it would benefit the running backs and the offense in whole, I'd still contemplate moving Franklin inside to left guard and moving Clark to right tackle, depending on Clady's fracture, I could possibly move him to the right side was keeping Clark at left tackle as well. I would allow all free agents to test free agency give Rodgers-Cromartie and possibly Mitch Unrein. Restructure Champ Bailey's contract or part ways with him and cut Chris Kuper. Sign Fernando Vilasco (PIT) to compete with Manny Ramirez at the center position, maybe draft another center late in the draft. I would also sign Perry Riley (WAS) and T.J Ward (CLE) helps the inside backer positions as well as the safety position.

Draft CB, DE/DT, OLB, ILB, NT and C.

atwater27
02-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm not saying we did, but there's not some magical coaching formula that can beat any team. Sometimes the other side is just flat out better than you and there isn't much that you can do about it.

I have said that a thousand times now that Seattle is clearly an elite defense that no team could have beaten that day. But that does not excuse our horrible gameplanning and adjustments.

WARHORSE
02-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Every defense in the NFC West is really physical.

Fact is we didnt play a defense close to them this year. No one nearly as physical. But by the time we adjusted....too late.

I just hope this moves us to get a really fast, large, physical LBer to go with Miller and Trevathan.

On top of that, get Moore back, move Champ to free safety and work on that defensive line some more, adding another pass rusher better than Ayers.

Other than that.....we need to move Franklin to LG, and Clark to RT. Lastly, we need a hard nosed, punch you in the mouth RB like AP. If AP were in our backfield.....different game, physical or not.

Since we arent getting AP, a bruiser with some speed and agility would be killer.

Welker was ready to ball. DT after he got straight was good. Julius Thomas.....keeper. But Decker played a little soft I felt.

If we can upgrade the speed on Deckers side with physicality......then bam.

We need DRC back along with Harris.

ALSO.......did anyone notice how disciplined and awesomely coached the secondary for Seattle played?

Even the LBers were killin it in coverage.

slim
02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
OL/DL MLB, safety.

spikerman
02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
ALSO.......did anyone notice how disciplined and awesomely coached the secondary for Seattle played?

Even the LBers were killin it in coverage.
I think a lot of this comes from playing a fairly simple defense (along with having great athletes). Sometimes I think NFL defenses try to get too cute which is why you'll see blown coverages. I think it's better to play just a few different coverages and let your defense line up and may the best man win. They'll play faster and maintain their assignments better.

DenBronx
02-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Jarred Allen is the only free agent that we should spend money on other than re-signing the guys that we already have..MJD maybe if the price is right. Id like to turn to the draft for everything else. We need to get quicker and meaner at MLB and both safety positions.

Lancane
02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Jarred Allen is the only free agent that we should spend money on other than re-signing the guys that we already have..MJD maybe if the price is right. Id like to turn to the draft for everything else. We need to get quicker and meaner at MLB and both safety positions.

T.J. Ward is one of the meanest safeties in the NFL and is a free agent, if Denver could sign him our defensive backfield would be improved immediately compared to drafting a safety who will likely need to sit for a season for transitioning reasons. Since Elway's initial draft (with Xanders in tow) Denver has only drafted one immediate starter in each of the drafts that followed, and the only reason Williams is that he was forced into the lineup due to injuries. So you can expect that Denver will most likely draft only one starter in the upcoming draft...so who will it be? A cornerback, safety, middle linebacker, defensive end? If the Broncos re-sign Rodgers-Cromartie and Harris returns then corner will be less pressing, same at safety if Moore can go and Ihenacho returns, Denver has Wolfe, Smith and Jackson, they may have to focus on defensive end unless they re-sign Phillips and then mike linebacker will be the glaring need. Elway already said that he was going to let all the free agents test the market to set their value, but truth is that Denver will have to spend money in free agency, no matter what in order to field a capable squad.

TXBRONC
02-05-2014, 09:11 PM

I think MJD is used up. As far as Allen is concerned I'm leery to say the least.

OrangeHoof
02-05-2014, 10:34 PM
NFL.com's Top 25 2014 free agents:
1. Jimmy Graham (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/jimmygraham/497236/profile), New Orleans Saints (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) tight end
2. Greg Hardy (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/greghardy/496792/profile), Carolina Panthers (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR) defensive end
3. Brian Orakpo (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/brianorakpo/71423/profile), Washington Redskins (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/washingtonredskins/profile?team=WAS) linebacker
4. Jairus Byrd (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/jairusbyrd/79899/profile), Buffalo Bills (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) safety
5. T.J. Ward (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/t.j.ward/494323/profile), Cleveland Browns (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) safety
6. Alterraun Verner (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/alterraunverner/494317/profile), Tennessee Titans (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/tennesseetitans/profile?team=TEN) cornerback
7. Branden Albert (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/brandenalbert/660/profile), Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) left tackle
8. Michael Johnson (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/michaeljohnson/2507784/profile), Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) defensive end
9. Lamarr Houston (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/lamarrhouston/496794/profile), Oakland Raiders (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/oaklandraiders/profile?team=OAK) defensive end
10. Brent Grimes (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/brentgrimes/2506861/profile), Miami Dolphins (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA) cornerback
11. Eugene Monroe (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/eugenemonroe/71401/profile), Baltimore Ravens (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL) left tackle
12. Vontae Davis (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/vontaedavis/79901/profile), Indianapolis Colts (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/profile?team=IND) cornerback
13. Linval Joseph (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/linvaljoseph/496802/profile), New York Giants (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) defensive tackle
14. Jason Hatcher (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/jasonhatcher/2495851/profile), Dallas Cowboys (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) defensive tackle
15. Jared Veldheer (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/jaredveldheer/497061/profile), Oakland Raiders (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/oaklandraiders/profile?team=OAK) left tackle
16. Aqib Talib (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/aqibtalib/1302/profile), New England Patriots (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/profile?team=NE) cornerback
17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/dominiquerodgers-cromartie/306/profile), Denver Broncos (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) cornerback
18. Alex Mack (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/alexmack/71375/profile), Cleveland Browns (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) center
19. Eric Decker (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/ericdecker/497284/profile), Denver Broncos (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) wide receiver
20. Michael Bennett (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/michaelbennett/2507617/profile), Seattle Seahawks (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/seattleseahawks/profile?team=SEA) defensive end
21. B.J. Raji (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/b.j.raji/79631/profile), Green Bay Packers (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB) defensive tackle
22. Sam Shields (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/samshields/1037374/profile), Green Bay Packers (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB) cornerback
23. Walter Thurmond (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/walterthurmond/494315/profile), Seattle Seahawks (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/seattleseahawks/profile?team=SEA) cornerback
24. Donald Butler (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/donaldbutler/496903/profile), San Diego Chargers (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD) linebacker
25. Randy Starks (http://www.broncosforums.com/player/randystarks/2505998/profile), Miami Dolphins (http://www.broncosforums.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA) defensive tackle

broken12
02-05-2014, 10:50 PM
J byrd, v davis, but we need some mean mutha fukrs like j Allen and on offense a mean rb

Simple Jaded
02-06-2014, 03:26 AM
How to win football games...
-Win the line of scrimmage.
-Win on 3rd down.
-Win the turnover battle.
That being said we need to Reinforce the O & D LINES. Also get some guys in the secondary that can and are not afraid to tackle.
- Move Franklin to LG n Clark to RT
- Sign Pass Rushers: Jared Allen or Justin Tuck might be past their prime but r leaders with Attitudes that we so badly need
- Move up to mid 1st round n Draft MLB Mosley or FS Ha Ha Clinton Dix.
- I'd only resign Decker n DRC if price is right. They both have flaws but we r better off with them.
- peanut Tillman would be a dream FA signing. Leader of Men. We don't have one.
- We need Safeties so bad. One to cover the field and a hard hitting safety. D Whitner, J Byrd, TJ Ward will fit just fine.
-Restructure Champ contract or cut him.
-Most of all beg Peyton Manning to restructure his contract n make his cap # around $14mil or we are screwed.

You wouldn't have to beg Manning to restructure his contract but you won't have any luck asking for a paycut. I really wish people would just get over that and move on, it's just not going to happen.

Rotoworld said Manning's 2014 salary is $15 mil, that's about $5 mil lower than what's been reported elsewhere, aside from that I guess the Broncos are screwed.......cause it is not happening.

Tned
02-06-2014, 09:17 AM
You wouldn't have to beg Manning to restructure his contract but you won't have any luck asking for a paycut. I really wish people would just get over that and move on, it's just not going to happen.

Rotoworld said Manning's 2014 salary is $15 mil, that's about $5 mil lower than what's been reported elsewhere, aside from that I guess the Broncos are screwed.......cause it is not happening.

I agree fully on the paycut. On the salary/cap.

I believe what we have is that his salary is $15 million, but then there is also $2.5 million worth of bonus counting towards the cap (either roster bonus or prorated from previous payout). I believe his cap number is going to be between $18.5 and $20, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Going by memory, his overall deal, if played out fully would be $96 million (that's always max deal, so some of that probably includes pro-bowl nomination, SB appearance and/or win, etc. type performance bonuses). Spread the 96 over 5 years and you are looking at an average "max" value of ~$19 a year counting towards the cap.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I agree fully on the paycut. On the salary/cap.

I believe what we have is that his salary is $15 million, but then there is also $2.5 million worth of bonus counting towards the cap (either roster bonus or prorated from previous payout). I believe his cap number is going to be between $18.5 and $20, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Going by memory, his overall deal, if played out fully would be $96 million (that's always max deal, so some of that probably includes pro-bowl nomination, SB appearance and/or win, etc. type performance bonuses). Spread the 96 over 5 years and you are looking at an average "max" value of ~$19 a year counting towards the cap.

His base is 15 mil for 2014, he'll also receive an addition 2.5 million in general bonuses, so 17.5 million is the total that will count against the cap this season. Of course that doesn't include any additional moneys for things such as playoff games, championships, etc. but those usually count against the cap the following year not the previous, for example any AFC Championship or Super Bowl bonuses will likely count against Denver's 2014 cap not the 2013. Or that is at least my take on what I have read about additional bonuses.

underrated29
02-06-2014, 01:38 PM
The offense is intact and sexy. The defense has a fantastic core. Studs at each level (aside from saftey)...

We really just need to keep a couple of our key guys...DRC and Harris.....get champ to restructure or take a little less...I bet he will. And add a few players to the defense.

Sign a solid OL type guy on the cheap- backup even
Get Jared Allen or some sort of pass rusher. My money still says Allen will come here and will do a nice deal.
Pick up a Saftey and Draft a Saftey and a CB with our first two picks.

What other positions can/would be upgraded over the guys we have now? Not many. CB (short term and longterm once champ walks off into the sunset) Saftey because ours sucks. LB can use a look at MLB and really it then comes down to DL...We have the young DEs grooming. Malik and Q...We have youth already. Wolfe Ayers. We have a vet in phillips and now just need a solid pass rusher over the hill even to polish it off. We can wait on that position in the draft imo.

So really imo the NEW FA would be:

Allen (or some sort of good pass rusher)
WR ( I like Jacoby Jones)
OL depth ( I dont care)

Those wont cost too much. Combine that with a champ restructure and the re-signing of DRC and Harris and we are all set for the draft. (S,CB,MLB,RB,OG)...we have the WRs in stock so its not a huge need imo anyhow.

I dont see how anyone can think we are a 10-6 team or so much worse than last year. It makes no sense. Heal up, have a better day coaching and the SB RING will be within our grasp again. We lost to the ravens and it stung and we saw how the team responded by breaking records, dealing with KEY injuries and losing a coach for half a season and going to the Superbowl. We get embarrassed in the superbowl and 31 other teams next year are now on Notice. There is a force coming through and they will not be able to stop it. Elway is 2-3 in superbowls I think. Peyton is 1-3 in superbowls. Time to even the record!

Joel
02-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Our offensive line not only cost us a Super Bowl but humiliated us on global TV: It needs a HELL of a lot more than depth.

underrated29
02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Our offensive line not only cost us a Super Bowl but humiliated us on global TV: It needs a HELL of a lot more than depth.

i disagree....but to play advocate...who would you replace and who would you replace them with?

I cannot really think of anyone aside from beadles. The oline imo didnt look nearly that bad. They gave manning a bunch of time on many occasions. I blame more of that on coaching- specifically play calling. I will give Gase a big pass because he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

better than Mike Mccoy was or ever will be. However, it was still his first run in in the playoffs and he did what mccoy did against Baltimore. Fortunately, I believe Gase can learn from his mistakes and not be so predictable. Call the right plays and the Oline looks all world. He had the right idea, to use the screen game. Sadly, he just didnt get the right screens or formations. To not be predictable. Seattle also played a hell of a game.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
UR, while I don't believe our line is in need of an overhaul - it does need to be tweaked. It's been stated time and again that Manning due to the quickness of his release and running through his progressions, not to mention his pre-snap adjustments have all helped in keeping him upright more then allowing him to be sacked. So I would say it's about 50/50, he makes his offensive line look better, but he's never had a better offensive line then he does now. The ends are not the problem, earnestly it's the interior and Vasquez was pretty solid which leads me to believe that Center and Left Guard both need to be improved. I know a lot of people want either Clark or Franklin to man the Left Guard spot, but I think that could end up being a mistake, better to leave Franklin at right tackle unless they absolutely believe that Clark is a better if and keep Clark in reserve in case of another injury, thinning out the talent to cover positions could lead to a dire situation later on. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to look elsewhere to upgrade the interior, sign someone like Jon Asamoah and draft a center to challenge Ramirez or so on and so forth.

Tned
02-06-2014, 03:24 PM
His base is 15 mil for 2014, he'll also receive an addition 2.5 million in general bonuses, so 17.5 million is the total that will count against the cap this season. Of course that doesn't include any additional moneys for things such as playoff games, championships, etc. but those usually count against the cap the following year not the previous, for example any AFC Championship or Super Bowl bonuses will likely count against Denver's 2014 cap not the 2013. Or that is at least my take on what I have read about additional bonuses.

However, when the Broncos activated his year 2, 3 option, then they guaranteed the first $60 million of this salary. Typically, any guaranteed money is going to be counted against the cap. Now, what I don't know/remember was whether he got any bonus that would be prorated when they opted to keep him for years 2 and 3 (they essentially signed him to a one year contract, with an option for years 2,3 and then options before the fourth and fifth years to keep him).

TXBRONC
02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
The offense is intact and sexy. The defense has a fantastic core. Studs at each level (aside from saftey)...

We really just need to keep a couple of our key guys...DRC and Harris.....get champ to restructure or take a little less...I bet he will. And add a few players to the defense.

Sign a solid OL type guy on the cheap- backup even
Get Jared Allen or some sort of pass rusher. My money still says Allen will come here and will do a nice deal.
Pick up a Saftey and Draft a Saftey and a CB with our first two picks.

What other positions can/would be upgraded over the guys we have now? Not many. CB (short term and longterm once champ walks off into the sunset) Saftey because ours sucks. LB can use a look at MLB and really it then comes down to DL...We have the young DEs grooming. Malik and Q...We have youth already. Wolfe Ayers. We have a vet in phillips and now just need a solid pass rusher over the hill even to polish it off. We can wait on that position in the draft imo.

So really imo the NEW FA would be:

Allen (or some sort of good pass rusher)
WR ( I like Jacoby Jones)
OL depth ( I dont care)

Those wont cost too much. Combine that with a champ restructure and the re-signing of DRC and Harris and we are all set for the draft. (S,CB,MLB,RB,OG)...we have the WRs in stock so its not a huge need imo anyhow.

I dont see how anyone can think we are a 10-6 team or so much worse than last year. It makes no sense. Heal up, have a better day coaching and the SB RING will be within our grasp again. We lost to the ravens and it stung and we saw how the team responded by breaking records, dealing with KEY injuries and losing a coach for half a season and going to the Superbowl. We get embarrassed in the superbowl and 31 other teams next year are now on Notice. There is a force coming through and they will not be able to stop it. Elway is 2-3 in superbowls I think. Peyton is 1-3 in superbowls. Time to even the record!

I agree with getting a pass rusher but not Allen.

Denver will more than likely need to wil need to add another running back in the draft or a UDFA.

No to Jacoby Jones as a replacement for Decker. He's faster than Decker but he's not nearly as good of a receiver.

We could some help the secondary and I would also like to see Denver add another defensive tackle.

Joel
02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
i disagree....but to play advocate...who would you replace and who would you replace them with?

I cannot really think of anyone aside from beadles. The oline imo didnt look nearly that bad. They gave manning a bunch of time on many occasions. I blame more of that on coaching- specifically play calling. I will give Gase a big pass because he is better than Mike Mccoy was or ever will be. However, it was still his first run in in the playoffs and he did what mccoy did against Baltimore. Fortunately, I believe Gase can learn from his mistakes and not be so predictable. Call the right plays and the Oline looks all world. He had the right idea, to use the screen game. Sadly, he just didnt get the right screens or formations. To not be predictable. Seattle also played a hell of a game.

I don't follow college, so can't be sure whom to draft, where, or even if; no idea how good/deep this draft class is, though I did see someone here say it's both for offensive linemen.

I also don't whose contracts are up, so if forced to pick Beadles' replacement I'd have to just name the guys I think are best, available or not. Marshal Yanda, Jahri Evans, Willie Colon, Evan Mathis. EITHER of SFs starting guards Alex Boone and Mike Iupati. I wanted Carl Nicks a few years ago, and Rotoworld says the Bucs may cut him, but also says part of the reason is nerve damage in his toes that may prevent him ever playing again. Chris Snee's good, though he false starts a bit more than I'd like.

One nice choice I DID see listed as a FA is Nate Livings, but there's no guarantee Dallas won't re-sign him; he hasn't always shown it lately, but Jerry Jones' few strengths include the memory of how critical a solid line was to Dallas last 3 SBs, and how fast Emmitt and Aikman went downhill without them. He's tried hard the last couple years to get Romo much better protection than he's generally had, and may be willing to pay big to keep Livings. If not, I'd be happy for us to have him.

Geoff Schwartz and Jon Asamoah are both FAs, and anything that makes Jamaal Charles easier and our backs harder to tackle is a win in my book.

It's easier to figure out who could replace Franklin, just because tackles are easier to watch.

The Chiefs franchised Brandon Albert last year and drafted Eric Fisher #1 overall, so Albert may be the best choice, but won't come cheap. Put it this way: I doubt KC can afford to keep 3 top FA linemen when 2 play the same position and another's not even starting. Eric Winston's available, and cutting him was a big mistake for Houston; Schaub's looked steadily worse the last two years, and anyone would could keep HIM intact the previous years is good enough to protect Manning.

Biggest argument against most of the FA OTs who come to mind is that Albert's the only one <30, and by next Thanksgiving that list will drop from one to none.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
However, when the Broncos activated his year 2, 3 option, then they guaranteed the first $60 million of this salary. Typically, any guaranteed money is going to be counted against the cap. Now, what I don't know/remember was whether he got any bonus that would be prorated when they opted to keep him for years 2 and 3 (they essentially signed him to a one year contract, with an option for years 2,3 and then options before the fourth and fifth years to keep him).

According to Spotrac http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/peyton-manning/

He is guaranteed 58 million, but there is no mention of a signing bonus of any kind. I do know that the structure of his contract is rather unique because the advance moneys and the guaranteed money he'd receive for the following seasons after 2014 if still on the roster at the end of those seasons. Once you look at the above page you'll see what I mean, because all he has to do is be on the roster and if he then retires he is still guaranteed the salary of the following season...or that is at least my take.

echobravo
02-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Would love to see the offense get more committed to the run. Pound the rock and break a defenses will. O-line is a weak spot in my mind. Tired of watching our backs have to carry five guys to get 4 yards. Not nearly enough nastiness up front. Also, the shotgun handoff is the weakest run play you could devise. There is absolutely no defense in the league afraid of our running game and the WR screen has become almost as much of a joke as when Jake was the QB and every pass play was a rollout. On defense I would make Von actually play linebacker instead of rush end. We might as well have been running a 5-2 defense with him in, and every team in the league knows it. Having him actually cover and play the run would strengthen our D and make the times that you send him much more deadly. Need a Mike backer something fierce. Safeties are weak, need an upgrade at SS, and a better cover safety at FS. As many records as our offense broke this year, there is no swagger to them. Doubly so for the defense. Watching other NFL games and seeing players get jacked up over a good play makes me wonder why in the hell you almost never see that with the Broncos.

Tned
02-06-2014, 04:53 PM
According to Spotrac http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/peyton-manning/

He is guaranteed 58 million, but there is no mention of a signing bonus of any kind. I do know that the structure of his contract is rather unique because the advance moneys and the guaranteed money he'd receive for the following seasons after 2014 if still on the roster at the end of those seasons. Once you look at the above page you'll see what I mean, because all he has to do is be on the roster and if he then retires he is still guaranteed the salary of the following season...or that is at least my take.

I'm not sure you can rely on that site, because the way they are showing the dead money is clearly wrong/deceptive. For instance, if you look at the salary + bonus/misc they show for '13/14 and compare it to the '13 dead money, the math doesn't work ($35 million vs. $40 million they are showing for 'dead' money).

As to the money being on the roster. Since he signed a 5 year deal, any bonuses they give that qualify for proration (signing bonus, roster bonus, offseason reporting bonuses are all considered signing bonuses and can be prorated), would be spread over the five years.

Anyway, I wouldn't rely on that site, because there information just clearly isn't accurate. Here is the breakdown of the contract Klis did:

2012: $18 million, fully guaranteed.
2013: $20 million, everything guaranteed unless there is a neck issue.
2014: $20 million, everything guaranteed except for neck.
2015: $19 million, not guaranteed.
2016: $19 million, not guaranteed.
Total: 5 years, $96 million; $58 million in guarantees; $18 million in full guarantee.

Read more: Peyton Manning's $96 million deal with Broncos includes neck injury clause - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20213659/peyton-mannings-deal-broncos-5-years-96-million#ixzz2sa6ZmrpS) http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20213659/peyton-mannings-deal-broncos-5-years-96-million#ixzz2sa6ZmrpS

So, you are right, the Broncos guaranteed $58 million, not $60, when they opted to keep him after the first year.

Lancane
02-06-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure you can rely on that site, because the way they are showing the dead money is clearly wrong/deceptive. For instance, if you look at the salary + bonus/misc they show for '13/14 and compare it to the '13 dead money, the math doesn't work ($35 million vs. $40 million they are showing for 'dead' money).

As to the money being on the roster. Since he signed a 5 year deal, any bonuses they give that qualify for proration (signing bonus, roster bonus, offseason reporting bonuses are all considered signing bonuses and can be prorated), would be spread over the five years.

Anyway, I wouldn't rely on that site, because there information just clearly isn't accurate. Here is the breakdown of the contract Klis did:

So, you are right, the Broncos guaranteed $58 million, not $60, when they opted to keep him after the first year.

So another inaccurate site, don't you just love the misinformation available now days when it was suppose to be the opposite. At least the other makes sense now, so basically this is the final year of guaranteed money under the current contract give any neck issues. And also likely points to this being his final season with the Broncos (or that is at least my guess). That also makes more sense because Spotrac made it sound that come the end of 2014 if he is still on the roster that his 2015 and same for the following year, where the salary then became guaranteed and that didn't make much sense.

NightTerror218
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
How is Alex mack center for browns who is a FA

TimHippo
02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Getting rid of John Fox is the best way to upgrade without blowing up the team for next year.
We obviously can't get rid of Manning and with the draft and FA you can only make incremental upgrades.

underrated29
02-06-2014, 08:38 PM
You guys are insane.......we just set nfl records and went to the Super Bowl.

Why the hell would we get rid of manning or fox? We were one win away from being the best team in nfl history.........

Teams like the chiefs and raiders and jaguars get rid of ther coaches and qbs.....not a Super Bowl caliber team.

Tned
02-07-2014, 04:59 PM
So another inaccurate site, don't you just love the misinformation available now days when it was suppose to be the opposite. At least the other makes sense now, so basically this is the final year of guaranteed money under the current contract give any neck issues. And also likely points to this being his final season with the Broncos (or that is at least my guess). That also makes more sense because Spotrac made it sound that come the end of 2014 if he is still on the roster that his 2015 and same for the following year, where the salary then became guaranteed and that didn't make much sense.

It is a five year contract, it was just had three club/Broncos options. They could have treated it as a one year contract and cut him after the first year, but chose not to.

Year one was guaranteed when signed.
Years two/three were guaranteed at a certain point this past offseason, when the Broncos didn't cut Manning.
Year four will be triggered if the Broncos opt to keep him after '14
Year five will be triggered if the Broncos opt to keep him after '15

As to final year, if he's healthy after '14 and still wants to play, I would be very surprised if the Broncos don't exercise the club option for '15 -- assuming he is playing anything close to the level he's playing at now.

Simple Jaded
02-08-2014, 12:05 AM
How is Alex mack center for browns who is a FA

Might be best C in the league, I bet he gets tagged.

Ravage!!!
02-08-2014, 11:39 AM
You guys are insane.......we just set nfl records and went to the Super Bowl.

Why the hell would we get rid of manning or fox? We were one win away from being the best team in nfl history.........

Teams like the chiefs and raiders and jaguars get rid of ther coaches and qbs.....not a Super Bowl caliber team.

Bingo Man... Ihad to quote so that it has the big square outline around it.